Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

bartholme murillo...

Sep 17, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

EWWW who knew Herpes and the olympics were so intertwined. It was funny on the typo alone, the fact that several of the olympians actually contracted Herpes while at the games is even funnier.

Oh, I 'm feeling evil today.

Sep 17, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

morning tc. nother day in the crazy office world getting favors from almost veeps, presidents of universities, and politicos of all stripes.

lig, you probably hit enter between the lines. copy into word and make sure there isn't a line return...

wK- drinking on a tuesday evening? you're really getting into the student life ;-)

Sep 17, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Vado, you are incredible. How did you find that?

Sep 17, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

crystal research methods...

Sep 17, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That painting is freaking me out; I'm worried about the little boy.

In the original intent of TC, I'll point you guys to the Office tools as a weapon... thread, which is (so far) full of the good old clean sarcastic architecture-related fun we all love!

Also: "hey, make sure nobody don't eat the artifacts!" - next time I'm in a museum I'm going to say that to the docent. LOL, mfrech!

Sep 17, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
mdler

hi yalls!

I made a kick ass peach cobbler last night and had some for breakfast today!

Sep 17, 08 10:41 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I went to an AIA meeting this morning and snagged some swag: See the ad at the top of the page (reload as many times as necessary...) with the green bootprint? I think it has something to do with treading lightly on the earth? They made that shape and image into a lapel pin. Got one for Angus.

Sep 17, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 

nope sorry mine logo at the top has been saying free powerpoint templates for the longest time.

Embarrassing typo spoils Olympic Heroes celebration

Gin see above...there was a space in it.

Hi all its an overcast morning, which means for us solo archi-operators it makes it more difficult to work (simply because you want to curl up and go back to sleep). But anyway I have a sign to finish for the new bar and restaurant. And still I am unsure how to price it fairly, and ensure I get the follow up phases with the real architecture involved.

Sep 17, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I don't like not having an internet connection at home. I feel like I'm disconnected to everything. This sucks. Came late to work so now I have to make it up. Happy Wednesday TC.

...Mmmmmm peach cobbler. My favorite.

Sep 17, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thank god for this MW morning class. I would be so behind on blogging and news if I didn't have this time to catch up. ;o)

Did everyone else seen the news about the Google SketchUp plug in for analyzing environmental performance? That's great news....I think it's free too. Awesome.

Sep 17, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

my eyelashes aren't bothering me today...that's great news

Sep 17, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Hi all,
I am awesome!!!
Well almost but feeling chipper.
Yes WonderK it is free but only for basic analysis. If you want to do the really in depth eco-analysis need to pay...

Sep 17, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm too lazy/busy right now to bother looking for an apropriate thread, so...

If US10b is oil rubbed bronze, and 26d is satin chrome, what in the heck is this 264 I keep crossing out?

Sep 17, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Woo-hoo!!!! I am finally connected to the world via my home. I heart wireless internet.

Sep 17, 08 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

welcome back tuna. Sarah what is a 26d? a US10b? Am I completely clueless? I'm here comtemplating packing, but I'm so knackered trying to finish up this quick proposal before I go. Meanwhile all I want to do is curl up with that bottle of monkey puzzle and drift away into the twilight.

Sep 17, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

So, I've just discovered that most of Cincinnati and its suburbs are now on Google Street View. They even got my childhood home. Ah, the memories.

Looks like I'll be taking a trip back there on the weekend of the 17th for DAAP's open house (assuming airfares don't triple between now and the time I can book a flight). Anybody want to meet up for a beer or three? Tunamelt?

Sep 17, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

well my timing sucks, I'll be long gone by then. And that street view thing is most revealing and worrying.

Sep 17, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LIG

you better hope that the lights are back on by then...my parents in the Nati have been without power for 3 days

LB

I soooo want to make a 'the only thing the AIA gives you is a lapel pin' joke right now

Sep 18, 08 12:58 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

US10b (oil rubbed bronze)... it's like all certain NW firms spec

Sep 18, 08 1:14 am  · 
 · 

street view can't get me! i don't have a street! hahaha.

off to a conference all day to rub elbows with educational facilities directors. woo hoo!

Sep 18, 08 6:28 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LIG - sounds like a plan. Email me closer to time and we can work on nailing something down.

Google Streets can only get as close as one street over from me. YAY!!!! I do find it a little disconcerting how close big brother can get these days to looking in your window.

Atechno - be sure to pack some cool weather clothes. The evenings are getting rather chilly. This morning I had a nice brisk ride in on the scooter. Wish I would have worn my jacket liner, b/c I'm still rather chilled. My fingers are just now starting to feel normal again.

Sep 18, 08 8:19 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, from what my boss tells me, those numbers are codes for metal finishes, and are standard in the US. But, he didn't tell me what 264 was, and its not on the chart. And don't feel bad about not understanding me, cause I have no idea what you are saying either. I thought knackered was slang for drunk, but now Im thinking its tired, and monkey puzzle?

Sep 18, 08 9:01 am  · 
 · 

Sarah are you are hoot!

here's a definition of knackered via dictionary.com, you weren't far off.And monkey puzzle is actually a brand of wine. The way I speak is severly bastardised, and I'm surprised anyone understands me actually. I have my Jamaican dialect - patios, mixed with a funny Blighty (british) accent and words with some Eastern Caribbean phrases to top it off. Its fun being a mongrel

off to the office/cafe got to get some prints done for my meeting at 12

Sep 18, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

when i moved to the US from the UK, i used alot of words that
people didnt understand, made my sophmore year in the US interesting, because i wasnt used to US culture either

Sep 18, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

The power company just released a list indicating which zip codes get power when here in Houston. Some peeps are royally screwed.

Sep 18, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

TC dudes and dudettes: I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned John Stewart's cool architecture reference last night?! Am I the only one who was watching?

Sep 18, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I saw it, too, but you beat me to the punch.

Sep 18, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

mrs. b's birthday present arrived while she out having lunch with a friend. Nicon cool pix x s60.....bright red finish. Think I should let her know it is here or should I keep it as a bedtime surprise?
Actually her birthday was earlier in the month but the camera wasn't.
It just came to the market place yesterday.

Sep 18, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

well I'm knackered x 10000000000 then... only two hours of sleep on the plane this morning, but made it to London. Couldn't check into my hostel when I got here, so I walked around for 10 hours, and now I'm not even sure if my feet can make it up the ladder to my bed they hurt so badly. So I'm sitting on the floor, debating whether to attempt getting into bed, much less retrieving my bag from downstairs. Going to have a long sleep tonight so that I can wake up ready to hit the town tomorrow.

Sep 18, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Wow, that sounds intense... But if I could pick any city to walk around in for 10 hours, it would be London.

Sep 18, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sir richard is better then meier - why does mr. stewart think otherwise?

Sep 18, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oh, and here's my belated ode to Richard Wright and Pink Floyd:

My souvenir from their last concert tour. Note the seat location on the 19th row at Soldier Field. Attending the concert involved emptying my savings account, standing in line for hours, blowing off work for the day, and standing outside in a violent thunderstorm.... And I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Sep 18, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Awww, LiG, that's an excellent story!

snook, gauge mrs. b's mood when she gets home - if she needs a lift immediately, bring it on. If she's already in a good mood, wait until bedtime.

Sep 18, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

and what are you going to take photos of in the bedroom?

Sep 18, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yes, snook, you should certainly pre-charge the battery, and pre-load the sd card; with what is your choice.

Sep 18, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

tk and Sarah...you two are awful. But I agree Snook charge ahead of time. Even if it is just to record her smiling face on receipt. Actually you could give her the box all wrapped up, and say you want to record her expression as she opens the empty box. That way you'll both have a smile!!

So about 10" of rain just dropped in the northern part of the city. Most of the b-roads that I typically drive on to avoid the traffic were flooded and closed - there was traffic everywhere in both directions. It looked worse than Christmas...so on that note, I'm glad to be home. And dry.

Sep 18, 08 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

mrs b... she is like a kid at Christmas time....she found the thing....I kind of tossed it in amongst the Architectural mess on my side of the room being sure to turn the box over so the fed ex...label wasn't showing. I told her it had not arrived and well that must of lasted about 30 seconds before she had the box in her hand. She has charged the thing....and has been burried in the manual all afternoon. It is an amazing camera from what all the things it says it can do. I will actually take a pre set picture of three people smiling
at the same time. Another fancy trick is it will not take a picture when people are blinking.... There is actually a food setting. The set up on the back of the camera is like an i-pod....She is one happy
mrs. b with her new toy.

Sep 18, 08 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I saw the Daily Show reference but thought the audience response was indicative of the public's understand of architecture ... a collective "huh?"

A student got stabbed to death just north of campus last night. Between the economy tanking, the power outages, Palin nonsense, and now this, the week really needs to end. Quickly.

Sep 18, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah i saw the daily show also and agree with wonderK about the response...definitely not addressing america's small town values with that new york elitist "humor"...note i have to watch the show the next day on the internets...

Sep 18, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 

could someone elaborate about the daily show, I'm not a regular watcher...what happened? I like John Stewart, but the thought of him appreciating architecture stirs my curiousity - worse vado's mention of new york elitist humour

Sep 18, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Daily Show - 17 September 2008
Sep 18, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oh snook, this line:

I kind of tossed it in amongst the Architectural mess on my side of the room

made me crack up. Man that is my apartment in a nutshell. Oh, the things poor pseudo-mr. mantaray has to deal with... I think we can ALL relate to this actually!

Sep 18, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Gin, now I understand all the "drill baby drill" euphamisms being passed around. I feel so smart and cultured now. I'm pissing with laughter, and I haven't reached the archi-joke yet. Funny thing is I had to pull out the urban dictionary to find out what a dutch steamer is (I won't link to that, lest some poor TC'r looses their job/lunch or both). But leads to an interesting point, I thought Foster hadn't done a house since well Team 4 only to snazz this via AD of all publications

I think poor pseudo-mr. mantaray is a much funnier line to remember

and for a final measure of funny

Sep 19, 08 12:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahaha, I don't know what a "dutch steamer" is and assumed it was made up when I saw it on the chart last night - I will NOT be googling that term!

Goodnight all.

Sep 19, 08 12:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm alive ... big day tomorrow! Will still be glad when the week is over....

Sep 19, 08 2:44 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

my favorite line this week comes from the Colbert Report; "I can have my planet and eat it too!"

Sep 19, 08 5:35 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh so that's what its called. been that done there...

Sep 19, 08 8:10 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

thanks laru for the official 'special interest' ring

Sep 19, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm alive

Sep 19, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: