Archinect
anchor

Question Regarding M.Arch Programs at UBC, UofT, Carleton, and Columbia

Cloudpink

Hey guys, 

I'm applying to M.Arch this year (I did my HBA in Architecture at UofT). I'm considering UBC, Carelton, UofT, and maybe Columbia GSAPP. Carelton and UBC are my first choice. I don't feel too confident applying to Columbia in this economy. If anyone has been to the schools that I've mentioned in this blurb, I would like to know your experiences (and general thoughts), pros and cons, networking opportunities, and the facilities available at each school. I've done some research on these schools, but everything seems glossed over. 

Oct 10, 24 10:26 pm
newbie.Phronesis

In general: whatever is cheapest and completes fastest (2 vs 3 years) is the priority. One other consideration I've heard is choose the city that interests you - you're going to be there several years, so go somewhere that you'd love to be and might never have the chance to live in again.

Regarding schools: think UBC and UofT are somewhat overrated education-wise. UofT and Carleton seem to have better networking and competition opportunities, as they're in Ontario. All three should have the usual facilities - woodshop, cnc, plastic/3D printing, and printshops; Carleton has some interesting ones like CSALT and Action Labs, while UBC is itself a small city with plentiful cross-disciplinary opportunities and nearly everything you could want close by.

Completely unsure on Columbia to be honest, but generally hear good things. If you are Canadian though, it's better to stay in Canada (tuition is far cheaper...). Hope that helps!

Oct 11, 24 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: