Archinect
anchor

I'm unsure whether to continue pursuing architecture and switch to another field.

satyakennedy

Hi, I recently graduated from my 5 years of architecture school. The journey was tough but also exciting and memorable. But lately my self confidence has hit the rock bottom and I'm wondering maybe I'm not meant to become an Architect. So I'm planning to switch my career options, studying architecture has given me a wide perspective on design and has vastly changed my thinking skills. But is Change good? Am I wasting my time switching career? Will I make it out fine? 

Oct 10, 24 11:13 am
OddArchitect

Before I give any advice, may I ask what type of degree you have?  Is it an accredited degree in architecture?  

Oct 10, 24 11:23 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Architecture is not a "growth profession" anymore. If you do not love it, do not pursue a traditional path in architecture anymore.

Oct 10, 24 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

What is a 'traditional path' in architecture?

Oct 10, 24 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Traditional = Internship while working at an architectural firm, Licensure etc etc

Non Traditional = Branching out into another related, or non related field where one can still use their architectural methods of rigor, graphical interpretation etc.

I dont think the traditional path is of any use to younger grads anymore with declining rate of increase of wages and general growth.

Oct 10, 24 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

That makes sense. It's more of an 'other profession' than an 'alternative path to architecture'.

Oct 10, 24 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Yes, using the architecture base to go into another profession, pretty much...

Oct 10, 24 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

Your confidence will fluctuate, pay it no mind for now. More important: can you get a job? Then: do you like this job? 

Change is inevitable and you will be fine because you have agency. 

There's no cosmic urgency out there right now, just focus on the brass tacks. Follow through on this degree for a few years and then assess. 

(Advice from someone who's dealt with crippling anxiety at many points on my journey)

Oct 10, 24 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: