Lian (Harvard GSD M.Arch.I)

Live blogs, and sometimes other stuff too.

The Cognitive Science of Embodiment and the Place of Architecture Today: a conversation with Alberto Pérez-Gómez

Lian Chikako Chang Mar 30 '11 12

Hello Archinect!

So I know I've been posting quite a bit lately, but I have two really important things to share:

1. My former PhD advisor, Alberto Pérez-Gómez, will be in town next weekend for Boston University's Architecture + Philosophy Conference, and will be joining us for an informal seminar on Sunday, April 10 before he leaves.

If you're interested and in town, it would be great to see you. (Everyone is welcome, but we're asking people to RSVP so we can order enough food).

12:30 pm Sunday April 10 in the GSD porticoes. A light lunch will be served. Everyone is welcome. 121 Gund Hall, 48 Quincy Street, Cambridge MA. RSVP if you plan to attend (you can send me a message through Archinect with your name) by April 5, so that we can order food and distribute readings. Sponsored by GSD Trays and Canada GSD, with special thanks to Boston University Department of Philosophy.

2. I just thought you should see this. This is of no relation to the seminar (...or maybe it is...?)

Thanks for reading!
    Lian

• Nam HendersonNam Henderson
      Mar 30, 11 12:26 pm

baby panda?

Lian Chikako Chang
      Mar 30, 11 12:27 pm

bebbeh polar beh!

Lian Chikako Chang
      Mar 31, 11 9:35 am

Not a real one, though. I thought it was at first, but I was deceived.

afrdzak
      Mar 31, 11 3:00 pm

Any chance of getting this recorded and posted on Archinect?

Lian Chikako Chang
      Mar 31, 11 3:14 pm

@afrdzak! Yes, I will be able to post something from this event. Either I'll do an interview with Alberto, or I'll voice-record and blog the seminar.

...Or did you mean the baby polar bear?

qdpv
      Mar 31, 11 8:12 pm

a bit off topic but...

what's the chances of getting a write up of the sanaa lecture?

Lian Chikako Chang
      Mar 31, 11 11:45 pm

I, uh, had some urgent eating and drinking to attend to tonight so I'll be blogging Nishizawa's lecture tomorrow night from MIT...

afrdzak
      Apr 1, 11 8:00 pm

I was thinking polar bear, but really meant Alberto. :-)

not_here
      Apr 3, 11 8:48 pm

I'm mostly annoyed that he's talking about Damasio and calling it cognitive science, while ignoring the PDP crowd (Rumelhart, Smolensky, McClelland), who in turn have a lot more to contribute to our field. Especially since they operate in between levels (complex computation, biology and perception), while Damasio is more of a neural correlates theoretician (something far simpler than what the computational guys are grasping at)..

Add to that the fact that doing your homework and actually understanding what these guys are developing has the side effect of giving you an immense array of tools that you can use both in theory and actual architectural practice...

Lian Chikako Chang
      Apr 4, 11 6:58 am

By "he" do you mean Alberto, fluxb? Alberto didn't write the event brief. I did, on the basis of my questions and on conversations with my student colleagues here who have related questions and interests.

not_here
      Apr 4, 11 11:49 am

yes, albero perez-gomez.

i think it's sensible to assume that the event brief covers the expected content of the seminar.

Lian Chikako Chang
      Apr 4, 11 12:13 pm

Hi again, fluxb.

Of course, but what I meant is that you shouldn't take the brief as some kind of statement from Alberto, because it's not, nor are we pretending to provide absolute answers to anything. Rather, it's my attempt at articulating some questions that I (and other students) have about these issues. We are using these questions as a framework to set up a conversation with each other and with Alberto, over lunch, about questions of mutual interest.

Lectures and exhibitions, news and events, now primarily from the Bay Area! Please note that all live blogs are abridged and approximate. If you want to see exactly what happened, in many cases a video of the event is posted online by the event's hosts. If you have concerns about how you are quoted, please contact me via Archinect's email.

• Lian Chikako Chang