So, to conclude our first project, we hauled all our models out to have a "round-table" discussion, in which talked about how they represented "bottom-up" processes dealing with the unit towards the whole, and how the investigations at the level of the unit and aggregations were more successful than our attempts at forming wholes (pavilions, or minimal enclosures). This wasn't a criticism of us so much as a discussion of how the project was structured and where our collective efforts were generally focused. One of our profs said there were only four kinds of pavilions: 1. vaults, 2. vertical and folded walls, 3. continuous modulated surfaces, and 4. space-filling systems out of which parts were eroded. Mine was the fourth category.
[I should add here that if I was asking for more talk in my last post, we definitely got it today, and it's clear we'll keep getting more of it this semester, especially if we ask. This pleases me.]
And our second project was introduced today! It's an integrated modular system of facade, book stacks, and reading carrels in a "thickened wall," which I find exciting because it deals with both program and tectonics, and within a limited scope that hopefully we can manage. I've decided that my starting point for the project will be "Santorini," and I'm gonna try to stick to my guns with this (albeit open-ended) single starting point. I'll let you know in four weeks whether this strategy helped!
Thanks for reading!
Lectures and exhibitions, news and events, now primarily from the Bay Area! Please note that all live blogs are abridged and approximate. If you want to see exactly what happened, in many cases a video of the event is posted online by the event's hosts. If you have concerns about how you are quoted, please contact me via Archinect's email.