looks like houston.

Jan 7, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
StuntPilot

Chicago

Jan 7, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
simples

AP...yours was Deborah Berke...(from your Yale hint!)
Shelter Island House
Ft. Lauderdale House
Crestview Lane House

now, we can all concentrate on architecnophilias boxlicious project

Jan 7, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

alright, a few more hints for my 16:54 post (last night):

this should be a dead giveaway - the architect of the 3 houses above collaborated with another very well known architect on this project:

there is at least one archinect n,000 post member that worked in the office of the other famous architect on this project.

Jan 7, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
simples

oops...deborah berke's webpage: www.dberke.com

Jan 7, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
AP

nevermind! good work simples. the above project is a bank done by Deborah Berke and Tod Williams.

on to a-techno's post...hints?

Jan 7, 08 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
simples

ap...re.the bank project,is the cantilevered level actually occupied!? that's a pretty nice project to watch as it ages...

Jan 7, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

um, is that a cantilever?
makes a nice diagram.

Jan 7, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

ach. i shoulda known deborah berke. gah. our office worked with her on a project here in l'ville.

Jan 7, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
AP

from Berke's website:
DBPA's designed a new 4,000 square foot branch for Irwin Union Bank in the architecturally renown town of Columbus, Indiana. Irwin Union Bank has a tradition of building modern, innovative buildings, including branches by such 20th century masters as Eero Saarinen and Kevin Roche.

The 1.6 acre site sits in the wide-open expanse of a strip shopping mall, which includes a Walmart, Kohls department store, and a sea of parking. Acknowledging a phenomenon now common to most American towns and cities, we recognized that cars passing by on the main strip would offer the primary views of the building. We therefore sought a strategy that would prevent the building, despite its modest size, from getting lost in this jumbled expanse. A simple and bold design gesture was needed.

A major component of the new building is drive-thru banking, which the design acknowledges as an equal partner to more traditional walk-in banking rather than treating it as an afterthought. Floating above the masonry building, a 'Light Box' spans both the drive-thru lanes as well as the main banking hall inside. This translucent box, made of planks of structural channel glass, permits natural light to filter down into the banking hall. Owing to the mysterious, translucent quality of this glass, the 'Light Box' also glows outwardly as an ambiguous sculptural object that is neither building nor sign. It floats in the air, lending the new bank building a steady, quietly elegant presence that serves as a refreshing counterpoint to the heavy, sprawling 'big box' retail buildings nearby.

The local Architect of Record was Todd Williams & Associates P.C. Architects.
(not to be confused with Tod Williams of TWBTA (oops)...

Jan 7, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
simples

holz.box...my designer's mind-eye just went ahead and erased those silly columns!!!! - seriously, i saw them, but they just didn't matter to me!...i am not sure if that's a good or bad thing...

architecno...we need hints!

Jan 7, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

techno, you can't post and run man! hints! keep this thread alive!

Jan 8, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 

ok ok ok - here's a hint...they are based in Silicon Valley but do loads of work in chicago in fact one of the partners was previously named the city's architect of the year.

Jan 8, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

a-ha! Valerio Dewalt Train Associates, Doblin residence.

Jan 8, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 

shit! Good job phuyaka...yer turn!

Jan 8, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I think it was the architect of the year award which lead me to it. Another residence, might be way too easy:

Jan 8, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 
AP

blank studio, Xeros Residence

Jan 8, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

ha that was quick.. at least the thread is rolling again now

Jan 8, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
AP
blankspaces

next...

3 houses, same architect, keeping it in the desert:

Jan 8, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya phuyaka, i recognized it immediately...and remembered that it was done by a relatively unknown architect. just had to remember where i saw it and what it was called...

Jan 8, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ah crap, i was just showing a co-worker the middle image...

Jan 8, 08 11:42 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

i know i've seen this very recently as well... give me a minute

Jan 8, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

Ibarra Rosano?

Jan 8, 08 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I'll take the obvious guess, Rick Joy?

Jan 8, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

aaahhhh holz you beat me to it. 2 minutes too slow.

Jan 8, 08 11:45 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i knew it was in tucson, so google did the rest (architect tucson house desert cmu)... i'll post a new in 2 minutes...

Jan 8, 08 11:48 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

alright, taking it back to the e.u.

wish i could find more photos of the interior, it's really cool...

Jan 8, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

anyone? it's an architecture office...

Jan 8, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

hmm.. a few firms came to mind but couldn't confirm any of them.. i'd lvoe to see a section and/or plan, it looks like it has a really interesting spatial organization... or maybe that's just the facade deceiving me.

Jan 8, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

no luck on finding plans/sections outside of bauwelt...

spatially it's pretty complex...

more interior images

also by same architect...

Jan 8, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

the city has an active arts scene, is home to Kompakt...

Jan 8, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
simples

holz...the first project is an architectural office? i'd work there...beautiful project...

Jan 8, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yes, there are a few offices in there, but the architect that designed it works out of it, i think his father owns the building. i'd definitely love to work there. though i rather enjoy the water view i have from my desk...

Jan 8, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
simples

kompakt = cologne?

Jan 8, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

genau.
kompakt

should whittle down the field significantly...

Jan 8, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

gee, alot has happened in a couple of days,
holz - good to be back in the eu!
nice project, by schilling architekten.

Jan 8, 08 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yes it is. and yes it is! i am impressed with quite a few of their projects. don't really think of koeln as an arch. powerhouse, but a lot of good projects and i enjoy visiting....

Jan 8, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

ok, this might be quite easy, but then again maybe not...we'll see

Jan 8, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

why would that be easy? Looks like every other glass box since the farnes

Jan 9, 08 9:14 am  · 
 · 

yeah well, see maybe it isnt so easy...

Jan 9, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

looks like some really bad furniture in there...
location?

Jan 9, 08 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

england 1968

Jan 9, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Richard Roger's parents' house, London.

Jan 9, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 

yeah, thats the one. i am not a huge fun of rogers, but it is always interesting to see someones early works. i like his own house of 1966, but i couldn't find any good images of it online.

so a-f...bring it on!

Jan 9, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 

fun=fan...silly me.

Jan 9, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
a-f

Ok, maybe this one is just too easy. But... I love the facade:

Jan 9, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

huh, never seen that before! but i am thinking spain...

Jan 9, 08 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: