Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

ill_will

There should be a "Proper Debate" thread. I was just reading through another thread, where x-jIa commented about Non, Chad, and b3ta not being to debate properly. Others were mentioned too.

It should be a spectator event, multiple rounds, random (but relevant) topics, refs, and participation trophies.

Rogue Debating Memes for Adjudicating Supremes

Feb 17, 23 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
____

You want to give a fascist moron a platform to spew hate filled nonsense?

Feb 17, 23 6:46 pm  · 
4  · 

If you've been around long enough you'll know that those "debates" have happened all over this website. Good luck finding them though because the majority of them have been lost. This is because jla usually says something bad enough that the mods determine it's better to nuke all his posts and block him from those threads. Look up just about any of the Covid threads, Politics Central, anything dealing with school shootings, BLM protests, anything before mid 2020(?) in Thread Central, etc.

You'd be better off just blocking his posts and living your life.

Feb 17, 23 8:11 pm  · 
2  · 

I really don't know why the site allows x-jla to stay. I know who he is and his firm. He doesn't act like this in person. He does post stuff like this anonymously on other forums though. He's a coward.

Feb 19, 23 3:11 pm  · 
3  · 
ill_will

It would be the ideal environment for chaos, its fun to watch people crumble ;)

Feb 19, 23 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
____

Then watch that screeching baboon MTG and the retarded librarian LB on C-SPAN. Leave Archinect alone.

Feb 20, 23 12:34 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I'm aware of MTG, but I don't know who "LB" is. Either way, I would be keen on a debate thread, if only because debating about issues that actually affect my livelihood (and the livelihood of others on various other topics) gets tiring, and seeing these debates quarantined would be a nice change of pace.

Feb 20, 23 7:07 am  · 
 · 
ill_will

Arch2 you're so close to entertaining me... I'm waiting for an all caps comment before you can get your gold star. Jovan, I hadn't thought of it quite like quarantining, I like it. Posts would stay on topic and we wouldn't suffer the pollution in mass threads like TC.

Feb 20, 23 10:14 am  · 
 · 
proto

LB = Lauren Boebert, I’m guessing.

I just went over to see that thread. I posted in it but somehow didn’t see the back/forth upthread. What a shitshow…

Feb 20, 23 10:22 am  · 
 · 

No one is stopping you from making such a thread. You don't need to get TC's permission or something if you want to start a dumpster fire.

Feb 20, 23 1:19 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

I'm still working on ground rules and a scoring system that people will definitely ignore.

Feb 20, 23 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

It's a Sunday and I'm in the office trying to masterplan a K-12 addition for a proposal.  Uhg.  

Feb 19, 23 3:47 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Just plan for 5th and 6th grades and forget the rest. Nobody will notice.

Feb 19, 23 8:22 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

The grass is always greener I guess. Coming from the residential world, I'd love to work on a school! Sucks to have to use your weekend to do it though.

Feb 20, 23 7:05 am  · 
 · 

Oh this school is located in a mountain town with the nickname 'Crusty Butt'. I think the name comes from their draconian town counsel and design review board that literally has rules like "a wainscot of corrugated metal panels are allowed to be 1'-6 1/2" high. Special permission may be granted to allow said wainscot to be 1'-8 1/2" high for public buildings.'

Feb 20, 23 10:30 am  · 
4  · 
ivanmillya

That level of pedantic control over aesthetic should be considered illegal under freedom of expression laws.

Feb 20, 23 12:58 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I need to confirm this information from a reputable source up north, are you really trying to invade us?

Feb 21, 23 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

Follow up question, is it related to maple syrup?

Feb 21, 23 12:59 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

If there are illegal crossings, they are likely INTO Canada, not the growing cesspool on this side of the border. I have a lot of friends in northern VT and I haven't heard a peep about there being an immigration issue.

Feb 21, 23 1:06 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

^Into Quebec, specifically... and Quebec is dusting off it's old racist self under the guise of "protect our french heritage". See here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada...

Feb 21, 23 1:12 pm  · 
3  · 

So François Legault is your version of Ron DeSantis? Does that mean Québec is just your version of a french speaking Florida?

Feb 21, 23 1:19 pm  · 
4  · 
pandahut

HAHAHAHA

Feb 21, 23 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Chad - Maxime Bernier would be the closer parallel to a Trump/Desantis politician in Canada. Its also worth noting that the tweet image above doesn't really make any sense, people in Canada are definitely not trying to cross into the States, much more so the other way around. Beyond the CBC article posted above, its also good to point out that Canada has a much more accepting immigration/refugee settlement attitude than further south. The main complaint that Legault is making has to do with the concentration at one particular boarder crossing location that has been deeply reported on for years.

Feb 21, 23 5:43 pm  · 
1  · 

Good to know. I figured it was all a bunch of BS.

Feb 21, 23 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

We're supposed to get thunder snow.  My high desert community is freaking out.  My old northern Minnesota self is just sitting here like 'bring it'. 

Feb 22, 23 10:08 am  · 
4  · 
pandahut

Fear not Chad. Us folks over in the D are at the hands of Texans and Californians alike attempting to drive in .5 inches of snow. Pray for us.

Feb 22, 23 10:47 am  · 
1  · 
ill_will

Midwest got hit with freezing rain, brrr.

Feb 22, 23 10:49 am  · 
1  · 

panda - it's like that here as well.  People from CO can't seem to drive worth shit in the snow.  It's like they think that having a truck allows you to go fast and stop quickly in snow.  

Feb 22, 23 10:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

oooooh, snow. it's winter (for some). what a surprise!

Feb 22, 23 11:39 am  · 
 · 

I know. February and snow. Who could of thought this would happen?!  

Feb 22, 23 11:40 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

We got Blizzo! We're all good.

Feb 22, 23 12:15 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I like a good thunder snow! We get about one of those storms a year. Currently bracing for a 8-12" dusting that the news stations are doing their best to hype up.

Feb 22, 23 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

much ado about nothing here in the Rockies, front range may be getting more snow and colder temps.

Feb 22, 23 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the actual story today was threats phoned to several school districts by some disturbed individual. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/colorado-schools-lockdown-aspen-boulder-threat-b2287521.html

Feb 22, 23 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Played hooky with my son today and hit the jackpot with a blower pow day skiing! Face shots all day…had to clear a foot of snow off the truck when we left… :)

Feb 22, 23 9:23 pm  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

It hasnt stopped snowing in my part of the great white north in over a week. A spectacular northern lights show was to be seen last night as far down a the 'Merica boarder, but too much snow and clouds at my house

Feb 27, 23 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Bets on how long the dumpster fire thread stays at the top of the list? 

Feb 27, 23 12:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Is coffee involved? Because if it is... I'm sure I can edge the results in my favour. 8-)

Feb 27, 23 12:46 pm  · 
2  · 

I say another six weeks. By then x-jla will get his posts banned and the BGH (all praise it's wisdom) will lock the thread.

Feb 27, 23 12:50 pm  · 
2  · 
tduds

I'm not trolling I'm accelerating.

Feb 27, 23 3:31 pm  · 
1  · 
ill_will

It hasn't been a week yet, hard to say. I think two (full) weeks. Has j-lax been posting on other threads as well as the dumpster fire?

Feb 27, 23 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

I think just the dumpster fire.

Feb 27, 23 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

I too am participating in that thread just to extend out the timeline and to see if x-jla will blow up, go on another racist and bigoted tirade and get his posts deleted. I still find it odd that he won't act like this in person. In fact he even tries to portray himself as a moderate who won't discuss politics, religion, or race.

Feb 27, 23 4:25 pm  · 
2  · 
ivanmillya

That's not surprising to me at all. Many people I know that spew hate online tend to hide behind the "apolitical moderate" thing in public.

Feb 27, 23 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I think the thread has done its job so far, considering it's somehow distracted jla enough to not spread shit onto other threads. Like a diseased cat with a toy.

Feb 27, 23 4:32 pm  · 
1  · 

Yup. I figured I'd engage him enough to get him going so he'll just be invested enough in the thread and keep posting 'responses' to no one. I'm done with the thread.

Feb 27, 23 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Could the Big Green Head make it so x-jla could only post in the dumpster thread? Then he couldn't say his free speech is being infringed upon and yet he'd be confined to one place where he could just talk to himself. It could work.

Feb 27, 23 4:50 pm  · 
2  · 
ill_will

Jovan - schrodinger's cat lol except the cat is insane and nobody wants to open the box. Chad - this is a band-aid solution, it'd be better if there was a sub-group for the annoying posts (similar to how one can filter out academia).

Feb 27, 23 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

I doubt anyone would classify their posts as 'annoying'. Having the admins classify posts would be a nightmare for everyone.

Feb 27, 23 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

eh idk, maybe it could be like uber, where we give eachother ratings

Feb 27, 23 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Even Ricky wrote a reasonably concise and informed supporting response to my comment earlier today. There is a silver lining in this glorious burning trash inferno.

Feb 27, 23 5:16 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

wonder why people leave and dont come back

Feb 27, 23 5:46 pm  · 
1  · 

I've been thinking about doing just that. There is a serious decline in the site overall, not just the forms.

Feb 27, 23 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

twitter is down, so I'll be around here more today!

Mar 1, 23 7:20 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hey! Chatgpt is pretty cool for Revit.

This is going to make all of our lives better!

Feb 27, 23 6:59 pm  · 
4  · 
ivanmillya

When my Revit crashes I just leave for the day. If computer doesn't want to work I don't either.

Feb 27, 23 8:48 pm  · 
2  · 

I want to click on the link but I'm scared to . . .

Feb 28, 23 12:33 pm  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

It's a youtube video showing how to use ChatGPT to delete all walls in a Revit model

Feb 28, 23 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, I don't need an AI to fuck up my models. I just need to give a general task to another cowroker and they'll do a better job than the AI.

Feb 28, 23 1:02 pm  · 
4  · 

I find it odd that I work at a small firm (13 people) and we know how to use Revit better than the huge firms we sometimes partner with. It's like basic stuff too, nothing fancy.

Feb 28, 23 1:18 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What I'm enticed by is the use of ai to assist me with mundane and joyless tasks. I heard recently that AI isn't going to "replace" workers per se, but that it will create professionals that use AI and those that don't. I want to be the one that does.

Feb 28, 23 2:29 pm  · 
3  · 

I'll certainty use AI when it becomes available. From what little I've seen so far AI isn't able to do much to handle the mundane and joyless tasks with any accuracy.

Feb 28, 23 2:37 pm  · 
 · 

In the link above they use: 

•  Python 
  • Dynamo 
  • ChatGPT 
  • REVIT API 

To delete all the new walls. They then had to do another dozen steps to get it to it work right. I just go into the REVIT model and use select all instances - delete - done.

The ChatGPT is still interesting.  

Feb 28, 23 2:45 pm  · 
2  · 
ivanmillya

I wish ChatGPT could automate filling out code compliance sheets for me.

Mar 1, 23 8:50 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Have you used Upcodes? They are quickly approaching something akin to this I think.

Mar 1, 23 9:05 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I actually have upcodes open right now to cite code references on a hotel project I'm working on. I've seen that you can pay for various things but I never have done so. Is it worth the cost?

Mar 1, 23 9:20 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You can put in elements of your path to compliance and they will pull up portions of the code that are pertinent, and let you know if you might have problems.'

Mar 1, 23 11:56 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I've found it to be cost worth paying, just for the code calculator.

Mar 1, 23 1:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I didn't realize that UpCodes had that function. I knew they allowed cutting-and-pasting, which would be more convenient than the free iCodes that I use.

Mar 1, 23 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is interesting;

Mar 1, 23 1:38 pm  · 
1  · 

I've used the UpCodes online service - it's ok but found it to be a bit redundant as I already know the codes well enough to know where to look. I know UpCodes has a plug in for REVIT but I haven't used that one, yet. It's supposed to assist you with the code design of a building. AKA - find me a 2 hour fire barrier with these types of finishes and a certain stc rating . . .

Mar 1, 23 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

They discontinued the add-in for Revit unfortunately.

Mar 1, 23 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
proto

I paid for upcodes access this past year & it's been very helpful for quick hit calcs & building summary checks & quick reference searches.

BUT I've also been in contact with their customer service more than I'd like correcting calcs that weren't working out (like frontage increases over 75% in the last code cycle calcs; or legit occupancy groups getting negated from a multistory scenario for unknown reasons). Def take it with a grain of salt or review with someone who knows the real calc issues so you don't get caught w/ your pants down on permit intake.

Mar 1, 23 3:52 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

They have a very good reason to have excellent customer service. If they have incorrect info, the ICC, which hates them, would use that as ammo in their lawsuits.

Mar 6, 23 11:38 am  · 
 · 
midlander

how come my comments on this keep disappearing?

Mar 1, 23 8:23 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

That's weird, your post doesn't show up in the thread.

Mar 1, 23 9:48 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

None of your comments have been removed. We closed commenting on that thread a while ago. Any attempts to post a reply to an existing comment won't get posted at all.

Mar 1, 23 12:24 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

but it's such a good project...

Mar 1, 23 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Dare I ask what project?

Nevermind, I found it. 

Mar 1, 23 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

oh ok thanks

Mar 1, 23 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Looks like Costco is getting ready for  the cordycep apocalypse.

Mar 1, 23 2:18 pm  · 
2  · 

Too bad the fungus is already in that food. I'm stocking up on ammo, arrows, and insulin.  :)

Mar 1, 23 3:32 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

you must be happy about the price cap today!

Mar 1, 23 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

My insurance company made insulin free a year ago.  

Too bad insulin is not the most expensive part of treating type 1 diabetes.  It's the insulin pump supplies. 

I still spend $4,000 a year on healthcare because it's my out of pocket max.  That's not including the $300 a month it cost to insure me. Even with the cap on insulin it would cost me around $30K a year to treat my diabetes.  

Mar 1, 23 4:10 pm  · 
2  · 

Balkins is absolutely bringing it in the comments section this week.

Mar 3, 23 2:13 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

It was terribly edgy and brave.

Mar 3, 23 8:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Back in South Bend this week, doing energy assessments. This is a dumb question, but does anyone have a recommendation for an *easy to understand* website that explains what constitutes energy efficiency in building construction? Like, if in Zone 5 we require windows to be .20 U-factor minimum, how much above that code minimum is considered "high efficiency"? I have cobbled together everything I can find in the code and at the DOE website and others, but it's all so wordy and technical. I'm looking for something fun and easy to share with the nonprofits I'm working for.

Mar 5, 23 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm not in the US but I always found the Energy Star program just about the easiest to understand. Here's an example of a project and what the outcome looks like, from their website: https://www.energystar.gov/buildings/building_recognition/designed_earn_energy_star

Mar 5, 23 8:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

This document is what we used as the basis for R-value recommendations for the Pretty Good House approach: https://buildingscience.com/si... It's a bit technical but written by John Straube so there is some humor in it. 

Of course I'd like to think that we made it accessible in the Pretty Good House book but since you just saw co-author Chris present on the topic, I'm guessing that doesn't meet your needs?

Mar 6, 23 10:56 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

In case it's not clear, absolutely no snark intended in my response above.

Mar 6, 23 12:54 pm  · 
1  · 

Dangit, Wood Guy, I totally forgot I meant to buy the book after the seminar and I still haven't! Going to do it now.

Mar 16, 23 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for that bowling_ball, I have found the Energy Star info really easy to udnerstand!

Mar 16, 23 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Well it's the start to another week of ::meh::

Mar 6, 23 10:05 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I'm just glad to be going on vacation in a week. Time to click thru Revit for a week. Yayyy...

Mar 6, 23 10:32 am  · 
 · 

I'm going on vacation in a few months. Until then things are going to be ::meh::

Mar 6, 23 10:45 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

there's a guy on twitter promoting windowless bedrooms, I just can't...

Mar 7, 23 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

A short dip into his online presence shows his company, Cross Properties to be involved in several lawsuits for kicking out low income and rent controlled tenants.

In addition, windowless bedrooms must be in a sprinkled building.  

Mar 7, 23 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

well... windowless bedrooms are 100% not permitted anywhere up here the frozen north building codes so there are no city officials granti ng occupancy or architects stamping them. I'd like to see this hack's research.

Mar 7, 23 1:56 pm  · 
2  · 

They can be allowed in the US under certain conditions.  The tricky part is that the local AHJ often won't allow it.  

I've done an adaptive reuse project in a metro area where bedrooms only had borrowed light.  Think a warehouse conversion to apartments.   

There were strict limitations on the construction types, sprinkler system to be used, and mechanical ventilation. In addition there were requirements for how large the borrowed light openings were, distances to the the exterior windows, and how large the exterior windows had to be.

Mar 7, 23 2:02 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

and what about egress? codes were developed to prevent unsanitary and potentially deadly situations, this is like going back to the dark ages, only without the fun of dying at 32.

Mar 7, 23 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, we have some provision that could allow for borrowed light... but the bedroom can only be enclosed 40%... so like a partly screen-off bachelor pad with the "bed" tucked away from the windows. But then again, the window size need to be increased to compensate with daylight and the depth of residential unit is shortened. No other ways around it.

Mar 7, 23 2:18 pm  · 
2  · 

JCL - In terms of egress - I'd suggest you look at the IBC - it allows bedrooms without windows if you comply with various fire ratings and reduced travel distances.

I'm not advocating for windowless bedrooms, quite the opposite. 

The interesting thing is that it's generally more costly (about 2x) for you do to a windowless bedroom in new construction than it is to have windows.   

Mar 7, 23 2:51 pm  · 
3  · 

Non - that's pretty much what I recall in the one project I worked on with windowless bedrooms.  I don't believe there was an 40% enclosure max at the time (IBC 2008).  If there was then the local AHJ didn't adopt it.  Like I said before, there were a bunch of other very complex requirements that had to be met.  It very well may have been a local amendment to the IBC because of the prevalence of this existing building type.  Honestly I can't remember.  

Mar 7, 23 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

JFC NS, get creative. Label the spare room as "Office" and move on.

Mar 7, 23 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^everything is now an office!

Mar 7, 23 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

Why does my office have a lav and wc in it?

Mar 8, 23 10:05 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Shut-up real-estate lady, this bedroom has an oven in it.

Mar 8, 23 10:51 am  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Chad, this made me laugh. I am converting an old hotel into office spaces, a supposed scheme to save money for the city I live in. Each suite is now on office and each one has a 3 piece bath. Except the ones that I had to blow out to make barrier free washrooms, they are only 2 piece.

Mar 8, 23 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Is it a new concept on the live / work project type?

Mar 8, 23 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Mar 8, 23 10:59 am  · 
3  · 

In Toronto, borrowed light is standard AF. It is not nice but absolutely everywhere in new construction. In Japan also illegal to have bedroom without window. Natural ventilation, and percent of sunlight must be calculated and submitted as part of approval for every occupied room in a building. Can do borrowed light and it is relatively common when units are deeper than wide, similar to North America. Often those rooms are tatami, with sliding fusuma, so it feels almost OK. Still not what I would call nice or good...

Mar 8, 23 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

will... can only do "borrowed" under the OBC (toronto) if the bedroom is considered part of a living space with windows. Not to say people aren't putting up walls afterwards tho...

Mar 8, 23 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Chad - more like the city council thought they could take a really old hotel, that's not even sprinklered, and turn it into a B3 care facility for chronic homeless people. But once the found out that the hallways and doorways were not big enough lots of thought went into using it as offices for city staff instead to try and save face.

Mar 8, 23 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 

NS, yeah that is the pattern. Always part of living space, with sliding doors. Basically, bed is in the kitchen. In Toronto I am renting part of a Victorian home that is awkwardly refurbished, but it beats the hell out of all the condos I saw that relied on borrowed light. There are a few buildings in the city that have plans as good as say what was standard in the 60's, but they are so rare it beggars belief (and very expensive). Clearly more money to be made by using the trick than not...

Mar 8, 23 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a call from an angry developer a few years ago looking for an architect to do windowless dwelling units. He wanted no windows at all, not even borrowed light. He wanted me to find the way through the code. For free of course because since he works speculatively so should everyone else. Developers are always such losers.

Mar 11, 23 8:22 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Whew! I got my money out of Silicon Valley Bank a day before the FDIC took it over! Hope those VC pigs choke.

Mar 10, 23 1:38 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I wonder why they never did a feature like this with Aravena https://archinect.com/news/art...

Mar 10, 23 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

PR is a helluva drug.

Mar 10, 23 2:00 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Jordan Peterson, ftw?

Mar 12, 23 5:56 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

I’m too afraid to click, sorry!

Mar 13, 23 11:25 am  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

#sad

Mar 13, 23 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

otto desc, really? what a nefarious company, can't improve in their software but have to spend money to make a bad joke....frustrating to be kidnapped by this kind of corporation

Mar 13, 23 1:25 pm  · 
1  · 

What joke?

Mar 13, 23 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this, https://twitter.com/OttoDesc

Mar 13, 23 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Autodesk now is pursuing vfx instead of improving aec software, same old gimmick, "the new toy" gets all the attention while their proved and functioning product goes to trash.

Mar 13, 23 1:42 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I do not understand what I'm looking at. Is this some satirical parody account I don't get?

Mar 13, 23 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Anyone else having trouble seeing the conversation about the 15-minute cities article? It says there are 26 comments but i only see 4... ?

Mar 15, 23 9:35 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Same. I can see 8 comments, including one by X-lax that I can't read because I've blocked them.... ?

Mar 15, 23 10:08 am  · 
 · 

I can see all of the comments. They are mostly x-jla saying that cities implementing the concept of the 15 minute city violates people's liberties / freedoms and will destroy local economies. X-jla then says that 15 minute city's are good but only if they are created 'naturally'.

I think the mods aren't allowing x-jla to post in the forums so he's posting on the articles.  I find this odd since the big green head previously said that only users who weren't anonyms could post in the article comments. I guess that changed.  ;)

Mar 15, 23 10:18 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I did not know that a cacti decorator could opine about urban design and social sciences.

Mar 15, 23 10:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

that's crazy. there is a comment from jla in there and then he responded pretty much just to himself 10 times.

Mar 15, 23 10:23 am  · 
 · 

Yup. The guy has issues.

Mar 15, 23 10:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't understand how anyone could be opposed to a walkable city. i think most cities around here are encouraging multi-use masterplanning with zoning ordinances and incentives. there just isn't anything dystopian there.

Mar 15, 23 10:28 am  · 
1  · 
Bench

Ooohh. This explains it. Ive also got X muted, which leads me to believe that when they create a comment, and then respond to themselves over and over, it just blocks the entire view. All good, nothing to see here.

Mar 15, 23 10:30 am  · 
1  · 
tduds

I almost got into it but thought better. It always amuses me how the self-professed "free thinker" on here so consistently regurgitates - sometimes word for word - right wing media narratives. We're all in a bubble but at least I realize I'm in a bubble.

Mar 15, 23 12:18 pm  · 
2  · 

Yeah it is weird how much x-jla's posts all follow the same pattern and script from right wing media narratives. The guy can't think for himself and he can't keep track of all the lies he spews. It's really quite sad. 

Mar 15, 23 1:43 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

i think the problem is his libertarian u-cant-tell-me-what-to-do tendencies are at odds with the preplanning of communities and spaces and general organization of society -- not sure why people feel that anarchy is a good model for modern life, history offers many lessons in why not

Mar 15, 23 5:20 pm  · 
2  · 

X-jla doesn't want to be told what to do but he wants to tell others what to do. As long as he benefits from it then he doesn't care who it hurts.  He's a selfish hypocrite.

Mar 15, 23 5:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I think he trolls for fun.

Mar 15, 23 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Not for fun, exactly, but for dopamine--the rush of "being right" and "owning the libs" and "proving a point." I think he honestly believes that he has a unique perspective and sees truth where others do not, just like everyone else who idolizes Joe Rogan and Jordan Peterson. (I think Rogan and Peterson make some good points on occasion but overall they are not good for their demographic.)

Mar 16, 23 9:06 am  · 
3  · 

I have to agree with WG. X-jla believes what he posts. That's why he gets so mad when he's proven wrong or when people don't agree with him.

Mar 16, 23 10:12 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

hehe

Mar 16, 23 11:00 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Why earmuffs and a toque? Also, is that a pipe in that doctor's pocket or is she just happy to see me?

Mar 16, 23 11:44 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

the pipe, the ufo, the pie and the crown are always there

Mar 16, 23 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
proto

good luck in your brackets, archinect!

keep the video on the second monitor small today

Mar 16, 23 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

context? I'm on vacation so I'm not paying attention to anything.

Mar 16, 23 11:43 am  · 
 · 

Is proto referring to sports?!?

Mar 16, 23 11:49 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Too early for hockey. Can't be sports

Mar 16, 23 11:51 am  · 
1  · 

College basketball is going on right now.

Mar 16, 23 11:53 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

currently drawing room separators in revit and now I have smooth operator stuck in my head. 

Mar 16, 23 11:44 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Using view templates to isolate the room separator lines and turn them pen 8 and bright purple is a joy... then select all and delete. Damn it, why do the int-des in the office use room separator lines to mark-off cubicles, workstations and other fuzzy shit?

Mar 16, 23 11:53 am  · 
1  · 

We have our room separators set to 'the' red color. It prints super light - so light you can barely see it. We also have a detail line that is #1 Working that is 'the' red color and our thinnest line weight.

Mar 16, 23 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Our lightest is 0.05mm. Better than halftone because it still prints black.

Mar 16, 23 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Our #1 line is 0.0762 - it's about as fine as most US printers can go. We still use halftone hatches and lines though.

Mar 16, 23 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, we have a 0.025mm line type. Shows up fine on the printer. It’s used for graphic overrites.

Mar 16, 23 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

And it’s our default batt insulation line type.

Mar 16, 23 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah I'm thinking that it has to do with the plotters we have access to in our area. I bet at one time that that was the thinnest we could print, maybe now we can go thinner. I have made one change to graphics though - all material hatches - cut or projection are a 50% greyscale. I think it makes things much more readable. Then again, I'm a big line weight NERD!

Mar 16, 23 3:11 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

In the last year or two I've started adjusting the transparency of hatches; it makes a big difference! I also make dimensions 20% transparent so they don't overwhelm the drawing.

Mar 20, 23 10:40 am  · 
1  · 

I had such an excellent experience yesterday, I went to this amazing equine therapy organization and OMG it's the best example of completely and truly universal design I've ever seen! 

They use horseback riding to provide educational and therapeutic services to people of every kind of ability you can imagine: old, young, mental, social, physical. And EVERY part of their facility is arranged to accommodate effective and comfortable access to the tools needed to saddle, mount, and ride a horse then demount, clean, and feed the horse. And it's all within a group of humble pole barn buildings! 

They also treat their horses like employees, in the best sense: when the horses get burned out from too much human contact they get a "vacation" in a field far away from humans.

My heart is so full.

Mar 16, 23 2:20 pm  · 
6  · 
sameolddoctor

Amazing, Donna, are you working with them?

Mar 16, 23 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

I'm doing energy assessments for nonprofits in two Indiana cities, the cities then give them reimbursement to do an energy efficiency project. So I get to meet nonprofits, tour their facility, and learn about their mission, then do a facility assessment.

Mar 16, 23 3:03 pm  · 
3  · 

If I were to ever become wealthy all I'd do is design buildings for nonprofits. For free. That would be a good life.

Mar 17, 23 9:59 am  · 
3  · 
curtkram

the horses get to go to a field away from humans? i need to add that to my list of job requirements.

Mar 17, 23 4:09 pm  · 
1  · 

say hello to Babylove. We are just friends from a public access stable near me.

Mar 17, 23 9:05 pm  · 
5  · 
Non Sequitur

Here's a daily dose of kooky "futuristic" design to bring TC back into the fold on this glorious tuesday morning.  The name popped up in a news piece and I remembered his blog posts.  The digital files for all this can be yours for the low sum of only 17.5million dollars?  But they'll be worth hundreds of millions... maybe even trillions? 

Mar 21, 23 8:04 am  · 
 · 

Looks like the guy learned how to use the circular array tool and liked it so much he stuck with it for 15 years.

Mar 21, 23 10:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Apparently he's got a "patent" for it.

Mar 21, 23 10:06 am  · 
 · 

I should contact him and offer to buy his 'designs' for $5.

Mar 21, 23 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

that's a generous offer... but I'm not flush with cash and not able to offer 400% above value like you.

Mar 21, 23 10:17 am  · 
 · 

I didn't say I'd actually pay him for the 'designs'. I'd just offer him $5 for it. ;)

Mar 21, 23 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but it could generate trillions!

Mar 21, 23 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Boo, big green head nuked my back&forth with the nut. I had one on the hook but did not have enough time to play with my prey...

Mar 21, 23 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Wait - he was posting here recently? How did I miss that!?

Mar 21, 23 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dude posted here claiming they were a better fit for the job.

Mar 21, 23 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Who is this guy? He's been in school since 2008?

Mar 21, 23 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Keep clicking through the links in his profile. it varies... but looks like he collected a bunch of random online diplomas and is now doing a design degree. It's quite the trip if you're looking for a diversion.

Here, I'll save you the hunting...

http://architecturalideas14.bl...

Mar 21, 23 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Thanks for the link, Non. My eyes are now bleeding.

Apr 3, 23 10:18 pm  · 
2  · 

So they guy is crazy - got it.

Apr 4, 23 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I assume ya'll spent the last 10 days or so combing through all the material and just realized the time and came back up for air. It's a deep well of crazy.

Apr 4, 23 10:38 am  · 
 · 

I didn't go past the first page of his blog. Once I read his bio where he says this about himself I was sure he was crazy. 

"This is the Global Personality Waleed Karajah one of the World Icons of the Architecture design .. be sure you are Welcome here on the most visited blog from most of the World Countries"

Apr 4, 23 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Amateur... you gotta dive head first into the crazy. Don't even bother to check the depth of the water... because there is none. Just jump and figure it out after you land.

Apr 4, 23 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'll help:  https://twitter.com/waleedkarj...

Apr 4, 23 10:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm sorry. But the apparel, is off the chain.

Apr 4, 23 1:24 pm  · 
3  · 

I'd wear that.

Apr 4, 23 1:56 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I'd rock the shit out of that shirt if it were long-sleeve and with french cuffs.. Gotta have standards.

Apr 4, 23 1:58 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

I haven't looked yet... is there any speedo underwear?   I'm hoping for a pair that reads "Global Personality" across the crotch. Fingers crossed.

Apr 4, 23 2:12 pm  · 
3  · 
shellarchitect

classic architect thought process:

Buzzfeed interview listicle

Summary: NYC architect says he's low paid, two people make more than him.

Mar 21, 23 11:00 am  · 
 · 

For some their ego can't handle that their clients make more money than they do.

Mar 21, 23 11:47 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I get that. It's easy to assume that if a client knows very little about design or construction they are dumb in all facets of life.

Mar 21, 23 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

Only a self centered, egotistical fool would think that their client was stupid in all aspects of life just because they're not an architect.

Mar 21, 23 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Paid low?!?! I'll be happy if I make that at the tail end of my career :/

Mar 21, 23 3:48 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

Making 140k and rooming, what a loser

Mar 21, 23 8:14 pm  · 
2  · 
flatroof

The equivalent of 90k in places that are not NYC/LA/SF/SEA. Plus he can live alone!

Apr 4, 23 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

https://twitter.com/brittlesta...

Mar 21, 23 2:19 pm  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Though there is an incomprehensible amount of s**t going on in this world, just thankful to orbit the profession that I love regardless how many nights I go home cursing this profession.

Apr 3, 23 9:23 pm  · 
4  · 

I'll sometimes curse my profession while I'm actively doing it.

Apr 4, 23 2:50 pm  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

Went from insanely busy to not having enough work to fill my week. Hoping this is just temporary otherwise it’s going to be 2008 all over again.

Apr 4, 23 5:29 pm  · 
2  · 

I'm in the same boat. Things are picking up a bit but the projects we may have in our future are not very exciting and consist of mostly remodels and correctional facilities. :s

Apr 4, 23 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

We had a handful of large projects go on hold the other week. I'm individually busy but you can feel the shift in energy in the office. Cautious optimism at the moment but I'm not expecting '23 to be a banner year for anybody.

Apr 5, 23 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Florida is busy as can be. I feel like we're always the last ones to get hit in recessions since everyone floods Florida in a panic move.

Apr 5, 23 3:37 pm  · 
1  · 

Why, anyone would go to Florida in an emergency situation is completely beyond me, but no judgment. You do what you gotta do.

Apr 7, 23 8:26 am  · 
4  · 

Donna - I think it's like those that move to Texas because they don't want the 'Lib's' telling them what to do. AKA - they don't want to have to follow the laws of other states.

Apr 7, 23 12:26 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

The other reason is that people panic buy the (relatively) cheaper real estate in places like Florida when recessions make real estate untenable in other states. Add onto that the fact that we have 0% state income tax (like Texas), and I can see why people do it. Still hate that it seems to be mostly far-right conservatives moving here, but at least it helps my job stay afloat.

Apr 7, 23 4:37 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Not slowing down here. Is there really a recession going on? Serious question.

Apr 8, 23 9:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

we're not tintt, but some people are concerned that high inflation and the collapse of a couple banks could lead to an economic downturn. aia's billing index hasn't been great for the last few months either. there was just a jobs report that said unemployment is down, but it mostly said the economy is cooling down.

Apr 8, 23 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Thanks curt. I’m def preparing for everything to come to a screeching halt esp with costs so high and new codes rolling out. I’ve been bracing for that for awhile but it hasn’t come. I saw the AIA
report.

Apr 8, 23 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The job board here is full of good jobs for architects, all firms seem to be short-staffed and paying top salaries that make me blush a bit. The recruiters seem pretty desperate too.

Apr 8, 23 12:17 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

We seem to heading in the growth direction finally

Apr 8, 23 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

"HELP ME OUT!

With my dad's secretary's help, I applied to all the architecture schools and all the expensive ones accepted me because of my family's wealth. I am too busy to look into any of them myself as my family says I got to do at least something on my own but the most important thing for me to do right now making TikTok videos with the help of my friends.
Which school is best for me? Is Pratt better than fart? How is Sci Arch in the dark? My name is Ken, how is Upenn? My dad bought a penthouse condo and gave me the key, how is GSD? Rich kids have problems too, have mercy, but before that, how is RISDY? Obviously, poetry and literature is my call and that's what makes me roll."

Apr 8, 23 3:22 pm  · 
4  · 
curtkram

these are all questions for the ai thing. do you think the ai thing has a tik-tok?

Apr 8, 23 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

How come no one ever asks about the University of Nebraska? Get your followers up, you’ll be fine.

Apr 8, 23 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
____

What is higher than position 1 on Google?
Position 0

What is more important than a rainmaker to an architectural firm?
An influencer

Forget about architecture school. Leverage your Tick Tock talents to become an influencer architect.

Apr 8, 23 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is a special day! A rare appearance of Abracadabra!! He is Risen!

Apr 9, 23 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

happy Jesus zombie day to all! Time to indulge in chocolate and maple syrup, just like the ancient Roman’s would have wanted. 

Apr 9, 23 10:15 am  · 
5  · 
ivanmillya

Is chocolate and maple syrup specifically a Canadian celebration? Here its basically just drinking and plastic eggs with small amounts of money in them for kids (quarters if you're working class, larger dollar bills if you're a capitalist).

Apr 9, 23 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My kids got pennies in their eggs.

Apr 9, 23 12:14 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

We had our spring equinox/end of first quarter celebration yesterday. Time to go heat up some leftovers!

Apr 9, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

@tintt: Even better. Pennies are worth more than their currency value.

Apr 9, 23 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

I just came out of my zombie bunker. I heard a lot of weird rustling and squealing noises around my neighborhood. Clearly it was the undead wandering around eating people. It's odd though, I keep finding the occasional plastic egg in the yards around my house. These must be zombie eggs waiting to hatch.

Apr 10, 23 10:53 am  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is a funny story;

So there’s a married couple, big Trump supporters, firmly convinced that the 2020 election was stolen. One day, sadly, they are killed in a car crash. Upon going to heaven and meeting God, the first thing they want to know is the inside scoop on the stolen 2020 election-how it happened, who was behind it, etc. God patiently explains that the election wasn’t stolen, that Biden won fair and square. The husband turns to his wife and whispers in her ear, “This thing goes even higher up than we thought.”

Apr 9, 23 3:06 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

Random ques for anyone who has a small office...we have two principals/architects: how do you advertise how to contact the office re: new work beyond direct personal referrals? [no receptionist]

1. Single point of contact email or phone that isn't one of the two partners (ie: [email protected]; or 800.GET.FORM); then split callbacks/work internally.

2. Advertise one person as the contact for each segment of your work (ie, contact A for new construction saunas; contact B for remodel saunas)

3. Advertise one person by name as the contact for all inquiries. And then split internally.

(I realize this drags up other issues of roles/responsibilities, but in a small work environment there's a lot of sharing & this one item seems to get us arguing about best practice. Call us direct by name [very personal and seems attractive to a potential client] vs one person getting all the calls [it becomes A's office then, not B's office] vs calling a somewhat impersonal (& seemingly filtering) email/phone).

Thoughts?

Apr 10, 23 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

We have a single office phone number listed on our website, answered by whoever happens to be nearest to the phone at the time. The language on our website (as well as our firm name) implies who the principal is, which is usually who the prospective client is looking for. Whoever answers the phone has a form that we follow (assuming its not our principal who picks up) to vet any incoming calls about projects (size, budget, type of work, etc.), and then if it seems doable, we pass their info along to the principal who calls them back.

Apr 10, 23 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

one would think we'd have a better process after almost 15yrs, but without an impetus to change we've kind of just winged it...we're talking about fixing some of these winging-it things for marketing outreach purposes & how people reach out to us has been a conversation and a half...

Apr 10, 23 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

We have a general info e-mail address and a general office number. We have a part time office manager - after so many rings (4) it rings the next person, then the next - then voicemail.

Apr 10, 23 6:18 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

It's just me which makes it easy. But a mentor of mine had a husband-and-wife business; both architects but she ran the design side of the business and he ran the business side--everything from initial sales to contracts to accounting to marketing. It sounds like that's not the situation at your office--do both partners do everything, separately, just sharing the office space?

Apr 10, 23 6:30 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Kind of…but we’re not replicating tasks necessarily. We split office duties (like one does taxes/payroll; other does monthly payments rent/utilities/phones; we each manage our own invoicing via a unified system; we share cleaning the office :) ; I do IT mgt; my partner will review/update E&O each year). We each lead on projects. We tag team marketing. Etc. Etc. I’m not sure it’s a model to teach others, but it’s been working thus far for us.

Apr 11, 23 12:31 am  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Honestly, high design architecture offices aren't it. I thought I would enjoy it but doing 1,000,000 iterations only to know in your head 999,999 of them are not build able but only for a principal to get a chubby is not enjoyable. Burnt out.

Apr 10, 23 11:08 pm  · 
4  · 
archanonymous

After a year away from a high design office I can confidently say that the design isn't even that good - certainly not worth the pain.

Apr 11, 23 2:24 am  · 
4  · 
chigurh

As an employee, consultant, GC, or subcontractor, you can only do it for so long before burn out is inevitable. It is fun for a brief time though.

Apr 13, 23 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

So Archinect - any ideas for dealing with the bots and the spam?  I know bots can be a bit sneaky but come on - you're allowing bots to create  accounts and spam every post on the main page nearly every day.  

Every comment except two of them are spam bots . . .

Apr 11, 23 10:06 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

It's not just here. I'm the editorial advisor at greenbuildingadvisor.com, which largely consists of notifying the editor when I see spam or bot posts in the very active Q+A section. They are getting sneakier and harder to identify.

Apr 11, 23 11:14 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

As I understand it, the reason some threads are not removed completely, is the same reason why some have spam catching email address for websites. Flies are drawn to the honey.

Apr 12, 23 9:10 am  · 
 · 

How's everyone doing with your work loads?  

Things are getting a bit slow here for me but that's because a project of ours got put on hold due to the town concile of Crusty Butt acting like petulant children.    

Apr 11, 23 3:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

We just lost out on a big project... 800k ish in potential fees. The client, by recommendation of a contractor, considered changing architects to us, but the OG architect (uber large, multi-city wide office) slashed their fees enough to cause the client to rethink their consultants.

Apr 11, 23 3:50 pm  · 

You get what you pay for. We've recently started to tell clients and contractors (design build) if they want a lower fee then what we provide is going to be less. After seeing what a lower fee will get them most of the people stick with us. The ones that don't get a crappy building and a lot of issues.

Apr 11, 23 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Chad - ironically, isnt that town desperately in need of more building of all types, particularly residential? Fairly sure it was profiled in the NYT very recently.

Apr 12, 23 8:53 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

bench, in need of affordable housing, which is not the same as residential in this parts of the American continent. In my experience, these resort towns with fairly engrossed budgets due to high worth individuals owning their winter palaces here, tend to have a sort of drunken epiphany among younger town staff and become little more than a amusement park, requesting ridiculous amounts of design guidelines, energy compliances, community outreach and strictly applied codes, effectively killing the "spirit of the place" and leaving the field open for vulture developers that buy everything and do nothing for 5-10 years, towns full of bling but also blight.

Apr 12, 23 11:08 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

We went from very busy to super slow, but seems like that is a result of a few important holidays overseas (our projects are out of the country mostly). Hopefully it is just that - important holidays...

Apr 12, 23 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm busy but inquiries have been slow for a few weeks. I'm wrapping up design for several residential projects that started 2-3 years ago and starting ones that contacted me ±6 months ago, with a list of prospects for once those are squared away, but I might actually have to consider marketing at some point.

One lesson learned on a current project (warning: potential humblebrag ahead), a $3M teardown that started as an $800K renovation, is too big for me to handle alone. I have structural and mechanical engineers, a landscape architect who is also coordinating civil, and a lighting designer but just trying to get through the architectural design and interior design while coordinating everyone else has wiped me out.

Fortunately my other projects are smaller, nothing over $1M, and less intense on interior design so I can handle those comfortably.

Apr 12, 23 4:40 pm  · 
3  · 

Bench and JCL-1 

You're both correct. The area I'm referring to is having an issue with affordable housing. They're also suffering from a failing town water system. But they did use their huge sales tax 'surplus' to buy the entire police department Teslas so there is that. 

Also the entire town and their ski area is owned by Vail Resorts.  I'm not be whimsical with that statement.  All the food, beverage, and gear shops in that town are owned by the Vail Resorts company. 

Apr 13, 23 10:01 am  · 
1  · 

I know someone who was recently laid off, along with a few other people from a medium sized form that suddenly lost a few projects. I'm a bit nervous about a slowdown.

Apr 17, 23 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

I am as well. The one thing that gives me some solace is that I own stock in the company. If I were laid off the firm would have to buy back all my stock at my original purchase price. Combine that with my unemployment and I'd be be good for about a year before having to touch our savings. Of course I'm in a smaller area and finding a new job would realistically mean moving away.

Apr 17, 23 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

my current workload involves managing more projects than the other two PMs in the office combined

Apr 11, 23 10:33 pm  · 
4  · 
joseffischer

fee too?

Apr 12, 23 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

this guy is speaking to me    https://www.theonion.com/man-w...

Apr 12, 23 7:47 pm  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

“I mean, I’ve been in tons of buildings and I really paid attention, so I’d be starting with a pretty good leg up, especially considering the number of doors and stairs and whole rooms I’ve used. I’ve almost been in more rooms than I can count." 

This is like half of my clients.

Apr 13, 23 7:07 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Substitute "Read a Bunch of Theory Books" for "Been In A Bunch Of Buildings" for a similar result.

Apr 14, 23 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Kids, especially the landscape designers, never use glulam on an exposed application

Apr 14, 23 10:17 am  · 
3  · 
Bench

wow.

just confirming, the bow is not intentional right .. ?

Apr 14, 23 10:18 am  · 
1  · 

Yikes!  To be fair that's not a glulam though. It's a bunch of dimensional lumber attached together.

Apr 14, 23 10:24 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

assuming those guardrails are to protect the public from accidental ass splinters,

Apr 14, 23 10:56 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

it's a glulam - was largely criticized at the moment. There's like 20 bus stops like this, and they put the same glulam inside the shelter and out. https://connectonedesign.com/peep-show/rfta-brt/

Apr 14, 23 11:02 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Interesting. Minus the heads-up, I'd've guessed that the bowing was intentional to shed water, and that the weathering was intended to blend with the muted winter colors surrounding. That surface-mounted j-box and conduit stands out like a sore thumb, though.

Separately: it has a kind of crypty-coffiny vibe to it, right?

Apr 14, 23 2:44 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Crypty-coffiny vibe was all the rage for a limited time.

Apr 14, 23 3:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

still is if you're into that kind of thing .. ?

Apr 14, 23 3:38 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

The jbox is for a strip light under the wood. Unnecessary.

Apr 14, 23 5:58 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Thanks, JLC. I feel much better now.  ;o]

Apr 14, 23 6:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Even if it wasn't a store-bought Glulam, isn't that just a bunch of dimensional lumber glued together? What difference does it make whether it's put together on site or in a factory? In any case, it's always amusing to see what people think will hold up.

Apr 15, 23 1:35 pm  · 
1  · 

My experience with glulam is that it's made by laminating three or more kiln-dried, stress-tested, and finger-jointed lumber together using certain amount of pressure. I'm not sure the amount of pressure is needed to make a glulam. I think if you don't have the correct amount of pressure then it's a built up or laminated beam.

It's been a while since working with glulam so I could be wrong though.

Apr 17, 23 10:18 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

We are (HOA) in a construction defect lawsuit for all our balconies and railings, columns are 6x14 gl and railings are rough sawn cedar, all of them facing east or west at 8000 ft. Will post pics later.

Apr 17, 23 10:27 am  · 
 · 

When I practiced in MN we used glulam on some projects. Here in western CO we don't use much, if any exposed wood - it simply won't survive the environment (low humidity, high heat).

Apr 17, 23 10:32 am  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

and high UV, cedar is burning, glue is cracking.

Apr 17, 23 10:59 am  · 
 · 

Yup. Cedar tends to do well in this climate if it's stained every few years. The glue though - nope. If I had to use glulam here it would be a Douglass fir or better yet a TMT.

Apr 17, 23 11:31 am  · 
1  · 
shellarchitect

anyone think there is a place for consultants to help other architects met energy codes?  This has become a pretty big part of my day job and would think that there’s a lot of crusty old arch firms struggling with this.

Looking for a small amount of side work, but not interested in an extra 20hrs a week.

Apr 15, 23 9:22 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, we exclusively hire out consultants for this. We’re too busy with 8 million other things so it helps to deflect some things to consultants.

Apr 15, 23 11:08 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, absolutely. Could easily be a side gig that becomes your thug.

Apr 15, 23 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

Gig. Thanks iPhone.

Apr 15, 23 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Thug works.

Apr 15, 23 1:29 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

For a while I was doing that kind of thing as well as energy modeling and sustainability consulting to high-end residential architects and there seemed to be plenty of work available.

Apr 15, 23 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would hire an energy thug as a consultant.

Apr 15, 23 3:17 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

"Energy Thug" is a great business name!

Apr 15, 23 5:05 pm  · 
6  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I would hire other types of thugs too.

Apr 15, 23 9:23 pm  · 
1  · 

Maybe I should have Thug in the mix as I’m thinking about firm names. OTA: Office for Thug Architecture

Apr 15, 23 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

I do work like this all the time at our firm. We are able to use COMcheck to show IECC compliance via the performance method. It's not difficult but it is time consuming.

Also, Energy Thug is a great consulting name!  

Apr 17, 23 10:35 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Ah yes, the continuing and endless ability of regulation to provide new ways for consultants to lamprey the fuck out of the profession.

Apr 21, 23 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

One reason I got out of it was because I thought the firms I was consulting to should be able to do it in-house. It's not something that should be sprinkled on at the end of a project, but inherently part of it.

Apr 21, 23 3:02 pm  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Wood Guy - That's what I keep saying about spec writing, too. And yet, somehow, they keep coming to me for specs at the 11th hour...

May 1, 23 5:24 pm  · 
2  · 
shellarchitect

Wood guy, I love telling people at the end of a project that their wall system doesn’t cut it! Even better when it’s a PEMB and the awarded contractor can’t provide the reqd u-factors.

May 1, 23 6:52 pm  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Did mods remove the navy museum post after everyone roasted the hell out of the proposals? Hehe

Apr 19, 23 12:16 am  · 
1  · 
ill_will

I literally haven't been on here in at least a month, but it feels longer. Is there a thread asking about how long it takes firms to get back to you for interviews or when to stop waiting for a firm to get back to you... I applied for some positions, many with referrals, but haven't heard a thing in a month.

If there is no recent thread about this I'll make one. Good to be back on archinect. 

Apr 20, 23 12:40 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Welcome back, will. Though I haven't seen any dedicated threads, I've seen many posts on this topic... a sign of the times, apparently. Good luck to you.

Apr 20, 23 1:58 am  · 
1  · 

Welcome back Will! Good luck with you job search! Feel free to message me if you're looking for work in western CO, I may have few leads for you.

Apr 20, 23 10:07 am  · 
1  · 
ill_will

Thanks Chad!

Apr 20, 23 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Hey Chad, any suggestions for stuff to do in western CO in mid to late Aug? We'll be looping 70 from Denver towards SLC at the dumbest time of year to go see Arches/Escalante/Bryce. I'm hoping there are a couple of outdoor/tourist options at elevation for at least some cold sleeping or mountain lake fishing or some such. Any cool spots? If you don't want to overshare spots, I do understand.

Apr 20, 23 4:33 pm  · 
1  · 

It's going to be hot! 

Overall check out a website called GJ Hikes. You’ll find plenty of areas to check out within the Grand Junction area.

https://www.gjhikes.com/p/colorado.html 

A lot of the trails on this site are multi use so you’ll be able to find them Mountain Bike Project as well. Here are a couple of recommended areas to check out: 

Grand Mesa 

An hour east of Grand Junction – tops out at 11,500ft, everything else is around 10,000 ft. 

Hiking: 

Craigs Crest if fun and if you don’t want to do the entire 12-mile loop you can do a 4 mile out and back to get to the tallest point. 

Mountain biking: 

Unless you're an expert rider DO NOT try the Palisade Plunge - it's killed three people. The Powderhorn Plunge is different and very fun while being mellow. 

Grand Junction: 

It’s hot so go early in the morning or early evening. 

Hiking and Mountain Biking: 

Kokopelli – this has all skill levels and distances – it’s worth it.

Climbing:

Too much to mention.  If you want to go shoot me a message and I can recommend area's base on your prefered style and skill level.  

Rafting:

You can do a portion of the town float between Palisade and Fruita.  Nothing goes past a class 2 rapids.  

Apr 20, 23 6:41 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Awesome, thanks! I will check out that hike link. A splash/giggle float might be just the right speed for a hot day. I won’t have a bike with me but I expect GJ has a good LBS. (My kid is the climber & he won’t be with us.) Mrs proto wants to do some horse riding somewhere so that may be another way to cover some miles.

Apr 20, 23 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Proto

There is a good horseback riding outfitter in Fruita called Rimrock Adventures

For gear rental check out the Colorado Mesa University Outdoor Program. They rent to the public, are open year round, are reasonably priced, and have nearly everything you could need.

https://rradventures.com/

https://op.coloradomesa.edu/

Apr 21, 23 10:29 am  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

we visited mesa state when my son was looking at colleges, their outdoor gear place is impressive.

Apr 21, 23 11:20 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

Also if you have time when you go through SLC, make sure to take a little drive through the foothills of the Wasatch mountains. They're essentially right in the city, and they will be absolutely breathtaking this time of year.

Apr 21, 23 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

If you are looping from Denver, you are likely to pass by Steamboat Springs (north) Glenwood Springs (i70) or Black Canyon of the Gunnison (south). All are worth a visit. Black Canyon is amazing and highly recommend it if you are going to see geology stuff in Utah.

Apr 22, 23 4:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Does anyone here read Lloyd Alter's blog? He is an architect and used to write for Treehugger but is now on his own. This is an interesting piece, on a beautiful building: https://lloydalter.substack.co....

Apr 24, 23 9:46 am  · 
4  · 
joseffischer

that building is amazing and the article is appreciated. Thanks for sharing

Apr 25, 23 10:17 am  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

I remember the first time i visited the OSC as a child. I was awe struck

Apr 25, 23 11:15 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

Holy cow that building is gorgeous. I never knew about it before reading this article. I'm now spending a part of my work day just reading through Lloyd Alter's blog.

Apr 26, 23 1:29 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Any thoughts for a cheaper residential alternative to a sight-proof aluminum architectural louver? A Ruskin or something seems overkill, but still need something that is a decent venting louver. Trying to avoid building one if such a thing already exists. Size +/- 60"x18"

Apr 25, 23 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Is this for HVAC, gable vents or something else? This looks similar to Ruskin but I used a few of them recently and they worked well for HVAC intake and exhaust: https://www.dayus.com/products?category=Louver

Apr 25, 23 8:04 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

It’s an under deck storage space that needs to breathe & dry (deck is covered & sidewalls are lap siding [not lattice or screen])

Apr 25, 23 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Got it. I made my own wooden louvred gable vents for an outbuilding; it wasn't very difficult, similar to building traditional window frames. I once built a space similar to yours without venting or a sub-slab vapor retarder, before I knew better--the whole thing became a moldy mess.

Apr 26, 23 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
proto

yeah, it may be more effective to design something at this scale

Apr 26, 23 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What are some of your go to tricks for attaching laminate panels to ceiling soffits? Concealed fasteners only. I've been finding some interesting clip systems, like Monarch, and Star Hangers, but I want to know if I'm missing something obvious or less complicated.

May 1, 23 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

sugatsune has some really nice panel clips.

May 1, 23 11:36 am  · 
2  · 

Construction screws, adhesive, and plenty of caulk? Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've only used the proprietary concealed clip systems myself.

May 1, 23 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Caulk? Back in my day, we used beaver fat and pastry string.

May 1, 23 3:45 pm  · 
3  · 

Pffft! Oakum and pitch. Beaver is expensive.

May 1, 23 5:15 pm  · 
4  · 
JLC-1

I watched a show on Netlfix called SUBURRA, one of its locations was this, I didn't know what it was so I looked it up, and surprise! an abandoned Calatrava project.... 

May 1, 23 12:09 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My New Purchase: Appalachian Chair

Hand made, no sand paper.

May 1, 23 8:36 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Beautiful piece.  I'd love to see it as a rocker.

Is the varsity jacket included? ;o)

May 2, 23 12:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Nice stand. Chair ain't too bad either.

May 2, 23 1:09 pm  · 
1  · 

How very Canadian to admire the stand. ;)

It is quite nice though . . . .

May 2, 23 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

elaborate on "no sandpaper"...steel wool? scraper card? angle grinder? dremel? vigorously hand rubbed? chamois and carwash? woodlook vinyl wrap?

May 2, 23 2:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

no sand paper = splinter ass city

May 2, 23 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 

I thought a Canadian would have tougher butt cheeks.

May 2, 23 3:17 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Is it by Brian Boggs? I started out making furniture and did sandpaper-free finishes a few times, using super finely honed scrapers (both card style and Stanley #80 scraper plane). Rewarding work, if you like sore thumbs and low pay. But Brian makes beautiful chairs.

May 2, 23 3:42 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

May 2, 23 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

What WG said. All hand tools. His name is Zach, vet, blackbelt, all around chill dude. This chair is a great sit.

May 2, 23 8:33 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'll post more detailed photos on Friday.

May 2, 23 8:34 pm  · 
3  · 

I just learned that one of my first, and best mentors passed away.  I worked with Rebecca at the first full time position I had after graduating.  Rebecca was a great person who I learned a great deal from regarding architecture and also life.  This isn't going to be easy. 

https://www.duluthnewstribune....

May 2, 23 5:44 pm  · 
10  · 
Bench

Sorry for your loss Chad

May 2, 23 6:01 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Sincere condolences, Chad. Thank you for posting about a personal hero and mentor of yours... such an important part of working and living well.

May 2, 23 10:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sorry for your loss.

May 2, 23 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.

May 3, 23 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

She sounds quite accomplished and looks like a nice person. Were there any specific things you learned from her? I'm sorry for your loss. Losing a mentor is a little different than other types of loss, at least for me--it makes me think about what I need to leave the next generation.

May 3, 23 1:00 pm  · 
1  · 

I learned medical design. 

•  Specifically 'rural clinics'. These are clinics that must do everything. 
  •  I learned how to design on a tight budget. 
  •  I learned that in medical design your admin and nursing staff are the most important people to keep happy as they run the clinic and have the most patient interactions. 

How to treat people with respect even when they don't respect you.

How to convey your professional opinion without being overbearing.  

How to actually listen. 

How to be humble by realizing that you're always going to be learning and won't ever know it all. 

May 3, 23 1:06 pm  · 
8  · 
Wood Guy

Wow, those are some good lessons! We have rural clinics in my area and they are so popular that I can't get an appointment at one! My RN mother in law and sister in law (and I'm sure my other SIL, a DO) appreciate you prioritizing their needs--it's not an easy job.

May 3, 23 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

I say that in medical design you have five clients with conflicting needs.  When you design a clinic you have to get everyone on the same page even though numbers 4 and 5 make all the decisions and tend to not speak to 2 and 3 until it's too late. 

1. Patients
  2. Admin
  3. Nursing
  4. Doctors
  5. Management
May 3, 23 2:43 pm  · 
3  · 

Chad, your comment about what Rebecca taught you is such a lovely honor to her. I’m sorry for your loss but so glad you carry her teachings.

May 3, 23 9:19 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Sorry for your loss Chad

May 6, 23 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Details 

May 5, 23 4:58 pm  · 
7  · 
Wood Guy

In the last photo, is that a wooden pin or a metal screw head? The primary materials look like black walnut and ash?

May 6, 23 10:39 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

It looks great. (We are all such nerds. I love it.)

May 6, 23 1:14 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

WG, I believe that is the end of the leg. Walnut, Oak, Buffalo and Copper.

May 6, 23 9:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

These pics should be flagged as NSFW. Good thing the office doesn’t have an HR department or else I’d have some awkward questions to answer.

May 8, 23 7:24 am  · 
5  · 
citizen

Uh oh. Sounds like Non has been *woodworking" again.

May 8, 23 10:39 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I would like to plead the 5th.

May 8, 23 11:31 am  · 
1  · 

Riding that water buffalo...

May 8, 23 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"Fingertips curiously flowing around the facets of each surface..." Sploosh city.

May 8, 23 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wait a minute, Non. I thought the Canadian 5th amendment elevates Donald Sutherland to prime minister if the current PM exhibits bad behaviour.

[with apologies to b3ta]

May 8, 23 8:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Close. It elevates Alan Doyle. (Previously was gord downie)

May 8, 23 8:11 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Gord is Canada's Official Saint.

May 8, 23 9:21 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

Gord Downie was ahead by A Century

May 9, 23 11:28 am  · 
2  · 
Bench

In Gord We Trust

May 9, 23 7:10 pm  · 
1  · 

I’m watching the movie Hereditary, because my husband is out of town, and he doesn’t like horror, but I fervently worship at the altar of Toni Collette. So far even though she’s awesome the movie seems dumb.

May 8, 23 8:15 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

TC is fantastic in anything she does, even the mediocre movies. Hereditary is odd, yes. Scary-ish, yes, but also uber-theatrically-so, in my mind. Kind of suburban-Gothic horror.

May 8, 23 8:24 pm  · 
1  · 

It *really* wound up in the final third! The actual end was pretty sudden and compacted, but the sense of dread built up for sure.

May 9, 23 2:40 pm  · 
1  · 
David Cuthbert

feels weird being back on TC... but also quite cathartic

May 9, 23 12:35 pm  · 
5  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: