Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

∑ π ∓ √ ∞'s comment has been hidden
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I have to say, that the lack of discussion around the outright slaughter of Palestinians, erasure of their communities and culture on the site is pretty remarkable.

Call it what you want; ethnic cleansing, apartheid, or genocide, this is beyond criminal.

I've read all manner of bullshit, be it there was a ceasefire on October 6th, to return hostages, to we were here first.

All of it, nonsense.

There's only one solution; one state, a pluralistic democracy, where all religions have access to the holy sites. No more racist theocratic ethnostate, anywhere. Anything else is a half measure.

"From the river to the sea."

#freepalestine 

Nov 16, 23 6:23 am  · 
4  · 
ivanmillya

My preference is for no state, rather than 1. I don't see a state as being a solution to the problem of genocide or ethnic cleansing. Meanwhile the lack of discussion is heavily due to the full media support of Israel's crimes in nearly (if not) all western countries. Statecraft breeds colonialism breeds genocide. The United States directly contributes to the mass deaths of Palestinians, and the erasure and enslavement of Middle Eastern people, and are as complicit in genocide as Israel itself.

Nov 16, 23 8:22 am  · 
1  · 

I don't post about 99.999999% of the people being killed in the world today. Doesn't mean I don't care. Instead I try to actually do something about keeping the 0.000001% of people that I can do something about from being killed.

Nov 16, 23 10:29 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Israel is the client state of US, and the US and Great Britain are responsible for this zionist project. However, we're not at a place in history, yet, where "no state" is possible. At the very least a pluralistic democracy gives voice to Palestinians living in an open air prison.

Caring? We're past that binary choice, as Americans we owe an obligation to people our government has murdered in order to protect us from the "baddies". If we're going to stay operating in our own self interests, how can we talk shit about any architects building NEOM, or in any other "objectionable" place?

Nov 16, 23 10:37 am  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Also, this is not a critique of "you" because these views are not just held by "you" or me, they're espoused by most. This is just me trying to provoke a discussion that is inherently about our relationship with culture, architecture and humanity.

Nov 16, 23 10:49 am  · 
 · 

Talking about an issue is a great way to understand it and possibly make it better. Do you really think having a discussion about this will have any impact on this though? 

I'm 45 years old. I can't remember a time when the Israeli / Palestine conflict wasn't going on. 

For various reasons the US will NEVER stop supporting Israel. The only way then to stop this conflict would be to get rid of religion and communism. That's also NEVER going to happen.

Good luck figuring this out.

Nov 16, 23 10:57 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

We can only have an impact if we choose to have one.

I don't find indifference tenable. We all stood up for George Floyd, against Trump, for masks.

Nov 16, 23 11:01 am  · 
2  · 
axonapoplectic

Hamas (funded by Iran) attacking a bunch of innocent Israelis that are currently under rule by a right wing government is going to produce an outsized response. I also do not like what Israeli settlers are doing to Palestinians in the West Bank, but I think this current situation is murky - bad actors and a lot of propaganda on both sides, innocents caught in the middle.

Nov 16, 23 11:04 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

It feels like Hamas poked a hornets nest and are now using the media to blast how horrible hornets are.

Nov 16, 23 11:07 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Since I life in the middle of the frozen north's capital city... I have to daily check the protest schedules to see how my day will get affected. So far it's just been a guerrilla war between the pro and against poster people sticking messages over the other groups' messages but it's all I see everyday once I leave my downtown office's front door. Not helpful... nor is it a solution, but it is draining knowing that some people's invisible sky daddy fantasies lead them to be shitty people.

My friends in political science and intelligence have it far rougher than me.  I do my best to make their days better with beer and good company.

Nov 16, 23 11:07 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Thanks for posting this Beta. I wanted to but who knows what is suitable grounds to get canceled these days..

Biden has proven to be more than a dud - he is a demonic, genocidal maniac. Even WH staffers are  claiming that Israel has gone too far with their war (ie Genocide), but the Old Hawk stands with them "no matter what". What could have been laughable is the 8Bn $ in tax relief, whilst we sent 14 Bn$ to Israel (so they could buy more weapons from us)

Before this "war" I thought there were bad actors on both sides, but looking at what is transpiring, and educating myself a bit more, the actual perpetrators are indeed the United States and Israel.

Nov 16, 23 11:37 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

A couple of thoughts, there's this idea that Hamas "broke" a ceasefire. A laughable idea on multiple fronts. But here's a little piece of how the parties in the region, and in particular Israel has treated civilians. Additionally here's Netanyahu's connection to Hamas

Nov 16, 23 11:39 am  · 
1  · 

b3tadine[sutures] wrote:

"We can only have an impact if we choose to have one. 

I don't find indifference tenable. We all stood up for George Floyd, against Trump, for masks."

No we didn't. Not everyone. In fact about 40% of US citizens fought against anything being done about those things. That's irrelevant though. Since we need to do soothing what should we do?

Remember - talking about something and not doing anything about it is worse than being indifferent.  

Nov 16, 23 11:41 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Speaking of getting canceled for saying anti-Israel, here we go:

https://www.bbc.com/news/enter...

Nov 16, 23 11:42 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Architecture Lobby, get engaged, Sign This. See this.

Nov 16, 23 11:47 am  · 
 · 

This isn't a popular opinion but I say let them keep fighting each other and let them figure it out themselves. 

It's been what 50 years of trying to stop the fighting. Nothing has worked and nothing will. 

You literally have two opposing sides that think their god demands that they keep fighting in order to possess the land to bring about the end of world and the return of god to the planet. You're not going to reason with this level of delusion. 

The 'best' case senecio is that they kill each other off and that stops the fighting from continuing for another 100 years.

Nov 16, 23 11:47 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

If sides were equal, if it was two states, if it wasn't so damned asymmetrical, sure, OK, but this colonialist state is the 4th strongest military in the world, propped up by the largest, and it's taking pleasure in murdering civilians.

Nov 16, 23 11:51 am  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'm trying hard, very hard to maintain something in very short supply; hope. I've been terribly angry, angry that Gen X completely forgot the lessons of 9/11, terribly sad, distraught to hear the story of a mother wanting to breastfeed her murdered infant, recently pulled out of the rubble, because she was sure her baby was hungry.

Nov 16, 23 11:55 am  · 
 · 

So? 

•  Both sides are repugnant jerks. 
  •  Both sides are delusional, religious zealots. 
  •  Both sides purposefully target civilians. 
  •  Both sides are backed by several powerful governments.

The only lesson from 9/11 is that religious zealots are bad,  hate creates hate, and you can't reason with  fundamentalist who begive they are doing the right thing.   

Nov 16, 23 11:55 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

sameold, I'm currently listening to The Hundred Years' War On Palestine.

Nov 16, 23 11:57 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

That last part is not true. Israel gets 4 billion a year, just from you and me, have received $318 billion since 1946. Gaza, has received $4.5 bn in 6 years, all from the UN, and almost none goes to the military. Hamas uses rockets powered by sugar and potassium nitrate, Israel has the Iron Dome, cruise missiles and nuclear weapons, AND US carrier groups in the Mediterranean.

Nov 16, 23 12:04 pm  · 
1  · 

Yet the war has been going on for how long? Doesn't matter. Nether side has 'in the right' or ' has a moral high ground' in this fight. Nether side deserves our support or pity. Governments only support a certain side because it benefits them.

Nov 16, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Palestinians that have been dispossesed of their land, homes, identity, culture and history, but settler-colonialism, have all of my respect, support and empathy.

Nov 16, 23 12:21 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Chad, yes both may be religious zealots and in the end, Religion may be the critical problem with al of this, but the fact is that Palestinian lands were stolen, and they have lived in fear and subjugation from 1948. There comes a point when the pressure cooker can not take it anymore.

Bur you are right, both groups need to work WITH each other to create an equitable situation. Something I do not see happening when one side is pounding the other with US made bombs.

Nov 16, 23 12:25 pm  · 
1  · 

Both sides are guilty of atrocities and murder. You're not going to change my mind and make one side out better than the other. Period.

Nov 16, 23 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

b3tadine[sutures] 

"Palestinians that have been dispossesed of their land, homes, identity, culture and history, but settler-colonialism, have all of my respect, support and empathy. "

There are thousands of groups like this. 

I have to say, that the lack of discussion around the outright slaughter of these groups, erasure of their communities and culture on the site is pretty remarkable. 

Call it what you want; ethnic cleansing, apartheid, or genocide, this is beyond criminal. 

There's only one solution; one state, a pluralistic democracy, where all religions have access to the holy sites. No more racist theocratic ethnostate, anywhere. Anything else is a half measure.

Nov 16, 23 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Indigenous tribes - by whatever means necessary - fought against settlers in Minnesota and elsewhere, was that an atrocity? The UN Charter says otherwise, at least when it comes to fights against occupying powers.

Should civilians, and over 50% are children, get murdered indiscriminately?

Nov 16, 23 1:12 pm  · 
1  · 

Yes. It was also an atrocity how their lands were taken and their culture destroyed. Where is your outrage over this?

Nov 16, 23 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'm outraged. I'm outraged at what our ancestors did in the past, and Land Back shouldn't be a slogan. If indigenous peoples want land back, give it back. If they want more, give more. Honor treaties. But, indigenous aren't telling me to go home. Also, unless you have a plan to raise the dead, I don't know what more you want. The difference, and the biggest I can conceive, right now, is that THIS IS OCCURRING NOW. #ceasefirenow

Am I to understand that you don't feel that people have a right to protect their homes? By Any Means Necessary??

Lastly, indigenous people here, have representation, have a voice.

Nov 16, 23 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

"For years, the various governments led by Benjamin Netanyahu took an approach that divided power between the Gaza Strip and the West Bank — bringing Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to his knees while making moves that propped up the Hamas terror group.

The idea was to prevent Abbas — or anyone else in the Palestinian Authority’s West Bank government — from advancing toward the establishment of a Palestinian state."

Nov 16, 23 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Chad, sorry for the personal assault but what you have said here is extremely stupid, and frankly dangerous :

"This isn't a popular opinion but I say let them keep fighting each other and let them figure it out themselves. "

You know "them fighting against each other" just constitutes more bloodshed directed towards innocent victims, when the actual decision makers are old men sitting in the comfort of their surroundings.

Secondly as far as Native Lands being appropriated, if that was happening right now, i would be as mad as I am for the Palestinian cause.

Nov 16, 23 1:42 pm  · 
2  · 
ivanmillya

Chad Miller wrote: "Both sides are guilty of atrocities and murder. You're not going to change my mind and make one side out better than the other. Period."

The fact is that in nearly every single metric, Palestinians have suffered casualties far greater than even the number of injured Israelis, spanning decades. October 7th was an outlier, wherein Hamas' push into the occupied territory resulted in higher Israeli casualties.

Furthermore, you're talking about a fight between an extraordinarily funded military state, whose adult citizens are majority active or reserve duty in the IDF; versus a coalition of orphans from decades of slaughter and ethnic cleansing, whose primary arsenal consists of homemade weaponry and rag-tag militia organization, stemming from the fact that Palestine has been under the occupation of Israel for 70 years, and was heavily occupied by Egyptian forces before that. To suggest that this genocide is somehow an equal fight between two terrible groups stretches the truth to absurdity.

How about instead of claiming "b-b-but both sides are bad!", you just admit you don't know what you're talking about and get educated on the subject instead of doing active zionist apologia.

Nov 16, 23 1:59 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Both sides have behaved badly. Israel has behaved far worse, for far longer. And it has nothing to do with religion; that's a distraction. It's all about their right-wing government.

Nov 16, 23 2:30 pm  · 
4  · 
sameolddoctor

Wood Guy, we should also apportion a fair share of Israel's wat machine to the unbridled support by the US.

Nov 16, 23 2:49 pm  · 
4  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Listen, I'm not trying to create enmity here, if I thought that there weren't enough people here to have a reasonable conversation, I would just keep this to dunking on the genocidal asshats on @threads, and IG. I learned from some friends that are Bahá’, that our views are not us as individuals, they are independent of us, and we should separate them. I'm trying, but man, it's not easy.

Nov 16, 23 2:56 pm  · 
1  · 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOJqLTc6RkU A useful primer to understand the construct of the problem.

Nov 16, 23 3:42 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

i guess y'all are really doing this then.

Nov 16, 23 3:54 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Sameold, absolutely, our hands are not clean. Not just support but seemingly encouragement, while simultaneously scolding Netanyahu and his government.

Nov 16, 23 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

sameolddoctor wrote:

"Chad, sorry for the personal assault but what you have said here is extremely stupid, and frankly dangerous : "This isn't a popular opinion but I say let them keep fighting each other and let them figure it out themselves. " You know "them fighting against each other" just constitutes more bloodshed directed towards innocent victims, when the actual decision makers are old men sitting in the comfort of their surroundings. "

Secondly as far as Native Lands being appropriated, if that was happening right now, i would be as mad as I am for the Palestinian cause. 

That's the point. 

Sorry but my comment was a bit of an experiment to is if anyone would bring up the non combatants who are dying.    

This war really only hurts the non combatants. People that are only arguing  that one side is more right, justified, or well sponsored  than the other are missing the entire issue with this war.  

Only the innocent are dying.  Both sides are responsible for this.  Both sides are wrong.  Posting about it enormously online isn't changing anything.  

Nov 16, 23 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Chad Miller, circa 1870s, when asked about the Great Sioux War: "This isn't a popular opinion but I say let them keep fighting each other and let them figure it out themselves. People trying to say that one side is more right or justified than the other are being obtuse."

I know it's hard to pick a side between colonizers and those fighting for their freedom, but have a little gumption, jeez.

Nov 16, 23 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

See my response to sameolddoctor. Everyone here seems to be only focusing on which side is more 'right'

Both sides are wrong and they're killing innocent people.  

Nov 16, 23 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Jovan Millet wrote: 

"How about instead of claiming "b-b-but both sides are bad!", you just admit you don't know what you're talking about and get educated on the subject instead of doing active zionist apologia."

I know more about this than most people.  It' why I have my view that both sides are abhorrent murders.  I don't care about either sides view, religion, or politics. I don't care which side wins.   Both sides are murdering innocent civilians (their own people and their perceived 'enemy).  Both sides need to stop or be made to stop.  

I'm disgusted that the US in involved in this. 

I'm disgusted that this war is used for political gain. 

If you think that because I don't support a side of this war then I'm a bad person then you've never been in war.  

Nov 16, 23 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

The October 7th attack didn't kill "innocent people" in the way that you have in mind. The reality of that event was that a music festival was organized in the midst of ethnic cleansing in the area, the site for the festival was land on which Palestinian people previously (in the recent past) lived, until they were forcibly removed by IDF soldiers, and then the festival was set up with armed military checkpoints to make sure that Palestinian people were denied entry to the area.

Couple this with the fact that the vast majority of attendees were active participants in colonial ethnic cleansing by being active or reserve duty IDF, or by literally taking over the homes of previous (Palestinian) occupants.

Painting this as an attack on "innocent civilians" would be laughable, if it weren't so insidious.

Nov 16, 23 4:42 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

Not to mention, as you've acknowledged, active violence against Palestinian people is not new. It didn't start with October 7th. There wasn't any sort of ceasefire which was disrespected. This was an armed response by Palestinians to the hostile and violent removal of Palestinian people for a for-profit music festival.

Nov 16, 23 4:44 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

Since you refuse to take any sort of active stance between the side of the oppressor and oppressed here, I'll take mine: I refuse to condemn Hamas or any other Palestinian resistance group for the way they choose to fight their battles against their abusers. As I am not a Palestinian living in Gaza, I have no place finger wagging about morals in their struggle to not be blown into pink mist by Israeli bombs.

Nov 16, 23 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 

I never said anything about the recent attack.

I said that the majority of the people who have died in the 'war' have been innocent civilians. Notice I never mentioned which side the dead innocent civilians were on or who they were killed by.   Also notice I never condoned either sides actions.  I think both sides are vicious cunts who kill people (the other side and their own people).  

That is what bothers me about this 'discussion'.  It's just a bunch of people trying to say which side is justified.  No one is recognizing that the actions both sides should be justified and and condoned at the same time.  That's the issue with this 'war'.  

Nov 16, 23 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

You literally just said above "Both sides are murdering innocent civilians", and that both sides need to be stopped. You're fence sitting, and now you're trying to make it look like you're not actively condemning those who are actively facing genocide. I'd guess you also condemned those protesting George Floyd's death in 2020 as "needing to be stopped"?

Nov 16, 23 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

That's because both sides have murdered innocent civilians.  Maybe I should of added 'throughout the last 60 years of this war'  

You're reaching here with your comments.  You don't like that I won't support a side of this 'war'.  Tough.  

You just want to know who's on what side and not do anything about actually stopping both sides from killing people. 

Nov 16, 23 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

The problem with the "both sides" argument is that it presumes proportionality, where none exists. The Palestinians tried peaceful protesting in The March of The Return, 32 Palestinians were murdered, another 200 or so were shot. I'm against the murder of civilians, but I also recognize the sovereign right of a person's will to live, even if they are placed in a concentration camp, had their diet restricted to what is survivable, cut off their water and electricity, and have had the freedom of movement restricted, so much so, that even if they were granted - imagine being a person, one that has not committed a crime - granted the right to travel out of Gaza, then has no right to return to Gaza. Imagine living in the West Bank, where PLO/Fatah are the "government" not Hamas, and have to deal with the settler displacement, beatings, and murders by the same. Imagine not having a voice to do anything, imagine the poverty, the disease, the hopelessness, the indignity. 

Sit with that agonizing reality, and you know what, even thinking about it, we still won't have a sense of what that is like, we never will. So, yeah, even if I could fathom that reality, I might be attacking those who get to enjoy the things they do, while I toil in the hell of this experience that only Kafka could touch; yet I committed no crime.

Am I an evil person, because I cling to my god, the meager possessions I have, and my struggle to breathe. 

No one in this country would ever settle for that level of indignity, ever. We Revolutioned the British for a million times less. Taxes. Representation. Religious freedom. 

Oh, wait, maybe they are us, and we forgot what it was like.

Nov 16, 23 6:00 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

The Balfour Declaration, what Orhan cited, goes back over 100 years, but this has its seeds in the latter part of the 19th century.

Nov 16, 23 6:06 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Chad, also understand that as a direct result of the Israeli occupation and extreme stronghold on Gaza, the amount of unemployment and hopelessness is extreme. Add to it the daily ridicule the Palestinians face from settlers (mostly American), it is a powder keg that will keep igniting again and again. The fault the Palestinians bear is that they are indeed, human.

Regarding the issue of occupation, imagine if a broheim from Brooklyn comes and occupies part of your house, and regularly ridicules you and slowly takes over your place...not sure youd be as sympathetic

Nov 16, 23 7:47 pm  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

^ Add to that, if the Brooklyn guy also murders your family when they come over to your place to help you kick the guy out because he's clearly stealing your house, then the NYT publishes a story talking about how your family are terrorists for standing up to that guy.

Chad: The idea that, as an American living in America, working a middle class job, my only two options here are to — what, fly to the middle east and join a Palestinian resistance group — or just sit here and say "well I'm not literally stopping bloodshed so I guess I'll stay neutral because it's not my fight"... that idea is absurd. I know what my ethics are, and they include supporting the side of human liberation from tyranny. I make buttons and zines detailing the atrocities being committed against Palestinians right now and for decades in the past. I stay involved with the news and call out Islamophobia, anti-semitism, and zionist apologia when and where I see it. I publicly and specifically support Palestinian resistance through my words in person and on the internet.

What else would you have me do as an American citizen living in the US? Your disagreement seems like if I don't actively go fight against IDF in Gaza, then anything else I do is pointless, and I don't think that's a reasonable response when faced with active genocide.

Nov 17, 23 8:00 am  · 
1  · 

That's not what I said Jovan. 

•  I'm not neutral in this. 
  •  I think both sides of this war have done so many horrible things that I cannot support either side.
  •  I want to see both sides stopped.

Furthermore, my comment was that posting about the war online and publicly supporting one side isn't going to solve anything.

Nov 17, 23 9:52 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Okay but what are the "so many horrible things" that Hamas has done that hasn't been done by any other revolutionary group? I ask because a lot of the stuff that gets published in western newspapers about Hamas is verifiable made-up propaganda by Zionist sources.

Nov 17, 23 11:14 am  · 
1  · 

Targeting non combatants. Just because it's been done before doesn't justify that it should be done again. You can keep posting in an attempt to justify your views. Just know you're not going to change my mind on this. 

Goodbye. 

Nov 17, 23 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Anyone here ever use a digital pen pad like this one from Wacom

https://estore.wacom.com/en-us...

I'm wondering how you liked it? 

I'm thinking of using it for digital sketching, redlines, and such.  I'm sure about the disconnect from drawing on surface detached from the screen. 

Thoughts?

Nov 16, 23 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you are fine with the tablet interface (drawing on one surface while looking at another), the Intuos tablets are about as good as they get. They are definitely a lot easier to use for computer drawing than a mouse. However, having switched over from a table to a screen, I won't ever go back. I know they are a bit more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

Nov 16, 23 3:59 pm  · 
1  · 

I've never used a tablet interface (drawing on one surface while looking at another). I'd love to get a tablet however I wat one at least as big as my computer screen (24" x 14.5"). Those types of tablet are around $2,500 vs the $500 for the tablet interface. :(

Nov 16, 23 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

I had a Cintiq at an old office, which I really liked. But it was big and kind of clunky to work with. I later switched over to a Surface Pro tablet, which has a high-resolution pen-screen interface like the Cintiq, but is also a stand-alone windows computer (as opposed to an iPad, which is just a tablet and won't run real software). It will run Bluebeam and sketching programs just fine. It even runs Sketchup and Autocad reasonably well. The newer ones are even more powerful, and the prices are roughly equivalent to a Cintiq. You can't really use a Surface as a pen tablet for a desktop computer, but if it works as its own computer, do you really need to? I found that I didn't.

Nov 16, 23 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

I've heard good things about the Surface Pro. I think I'm looking for something that can act as a large format digital sketch pad / trace paper. I'd want something at least 18" x 24"

Nov 17, 23 9:55 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

for digital art i tried using a wacom tablet but never really got a feel for it; the screen surface disconnect was insurmountable. i absolutely love using an ipad pro though. for design work it essentially follows the same workflow as printing and tracing, just digitally. the lack of software compatibility hasn't mattered for me since i'm just sketching on jpgs.

Nov 17, 23 4:09 pm  · 
1  · 

mid - thanks for you opinion on this.  That disconnect is what I'm worried about. I'll have to make a trip to a larger metro area and see if I can try one out. I'd love to have a 'draw on' screen that I could connect to my computer that was in the 24 x 36 size.  I don't think a smaller tablet (iPad) would work for me.  I'd need something at least 18 x24 to be able to do much.  I know, weird.  

Nov 20, 23 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

i really was skeptical about the ipad too and took a while to adjust (a year, but art is my hobby so not the priority), but with the right app it's very natural. procreate is very comfortable for sketching.

Nov 21, 23 8:26 am  · 
1  · 

How well will the iPad play with PC's though?

Nov 21, 23 9:54 am  · 
 · 
midlander

if the workflow is sketching on jpg images, no problem. more than that i've never needed to try.

Nov 21, 23 5:10 pm  · 
1  · 
ofls

FWIW, if you're still looking - I had a cheap dummy Bamboo tablet back in undergrad, and the "disconnect" wasn't much of an issue after a little warmup, because you can always see the cursor moving around onscreen - same as you don't really notice moving a mouse. It did get a little annoying having the smallest size, since you have to decide on either low-resolution control that's mapped to the whole monitor, or a "pick and place" that's more akin to when you run out of mousepad and have to do the little bunny-hop move.

The screen on i.e. ipad/high end wacom is nice, but the screenless ones are bulletproof

Dec 7, 23 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
proto's comment has been hidden
proto

umm, all that business above needs to live in the Politics forum & particularly not in Thread Central

it's not that hard to guess how it's gonna play out -- just start it up in the right place is all i'm saying

Nov 17, 23 5:48 pm  · 
5  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I debated where this should go as a topic, and I came down on the side of an ongoing genocide is not political; there are no "two sides", for me.

Nov 18, 23 8:45 am  · 
2  · 
proto

Label it as you please over in the politics forum

Nov 19, 23 11:06 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Nah.

Nov 19, 23 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 

There are two sides attempting genocide and terrorist attacks against non combatants. The fact that people disagree on this is why it should go int he political forum.

Nov 20, 23 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I agree, though I contributed to the mess above.

Nov 20, 23 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

It's not a mess, there was no yelling, no ad hominem attacks, it was disagreeing without being disagreeable.

Nov 20, 23 2:34 pm  · 
1  · 

Except for the part were a user called those that disagreed with them names . . . .

Nov 20, 23 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Let's keep taking about "both sides to blame" etc etc, even when one side is to blame way more. But this makes things much clearer. The party to take the biggest blame here is as always, the US. We like to flatten countries for oil.

U.S. to Push Israel on Allowing Gaza Offshore Gas Reserves to Revitalize Palestinian Economy

Nov 21, 23 11:31 am  · 
1  · 

Oh right now Israel is being a giant murdering bastard. Right before that it was Hamas. It's like each side doesn't seem to care that when they f-around their civilians find out. Very odd.

Nov 21, 23 11:34 am  · 
 · 
proto

can the BGH push this shit to the right place? Thread Central isn't the place...ffs, people

Nov 21, 23 11:52 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Chad, you are right, but Hamas isnt as big a murdering bastard as Israel. Just the amount of CHILDREN killed by Israel killed in the last 4 days is more than what Hamas has done in over 50 years.

As for moving the thread, sure it can be done but probably a mild inconvenience is not a big deal?

Nov 21, 23 12:06 pm  · 
1  · 

That's horrible. I don't care if Hamas isn't as big of a murdering bastard as Israel. They're still murdering bastards who are trying to kill as many people as possible regales if they're combatants. Both need to be stopped.

Nov 21, 23 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

Not sure if he still is, but at one point Ken was a moderator on the site and knows better. It seems despite that he has chosen to post here to make a statement that genocide is not political based on a spurious definition that political things are two-sided and there are not two sides to genocide. Genocide may not deserve consideration of two sides, but the discussion is certainly political and there is a better place for it. I don't care that the discussion is happening, but I agree it doesn't belong in TC.

I'm not sure if Ken's (current/former) status give him prerogative to disregard the customs and culture of the forums without repercussions. If my memory is correct, people that have insisted on flooding TC with political content usually end up banned from this thread. I'm not saying it has gotten to that point here, but I think some moderation is deserved.

Nov 21, 23 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Sure, move it - it is just clear that the inconvenient truth is, well, too inconvenient to some.

Nov 21, 23 12:26 pm  · 
1  · 

It's not inconvenient - genocide is horrible and should be stopped. Odd that some think that the only way to stop the genocide of their side is to commit genocide on another.

Nov 21, 23 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

It has nothing do to with whether the inconvenient truth is too inconvenient for some. The inconvenient truth can still be inconvenient in another thread that keeps popping to the top of the page.

It's about allowing people to set boundaries and expecting others to follow them when it comes to online discourse. If you choose to engage in the discussion ... you can. If you choose to avoid it for whatever reason ... you can. If the normal boundaries of the forum and keeping threads on topic aren't followed the only alternative for boundary maintenance is to log off.

And that's a choice too, but it's probably not one the BGH would want to force on their users if they want to maintain some semblance of order for the sake of their advertisers and their larger goals with the site.

Nov 21, 23 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

According to the Convention, genocide is a crime that can take place both in time of war as well as in time of peace. The definition contained in Article II of the Convention describes genocide as a crime committed with the intent to destroy a national, ethnic, racial or religious group, in whole or in part. It does not include political groups or so called “cultural genocide”. This definition was the result of a negotiating process and reflects the compromise reached among United Nations Member States while drafting the Convention in 1948.

What Hamas has done, does not fall under the terms set by the UN. Nor does Israel as an occupier have the right to self defense.

Nov 21, 23 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

With that I am done.

Nov 21, 23 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Ken

Nov 21, 23 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

I’m not sure why I didn’t do it before, but this place is better with Balkins and Jawknee ignored. 

Nov 18, 23 3:35 pm  · 
11  · 
citizen

I just called the gym for their hours on Thanksgiving Day.  "Twenty-Four Hour Fitness... you're talkin' to Bobby."

THAT is my new go-to greeting.  "Thread Central here... Citizen's at the keyboard.  What can I do ya for?"

Nov 21, 23 5:31 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

I hope everyone is getting ready for some time off with friends, family or deserved alone time, as is fitting to your own sitch

deep breath...let the shoulders fall...out & away...deep breath

me, i'm going to get outside & enjoy the sounds of the trees

happy thanksgiving, y'all

Nov 22, 23 1:48 pm  · 
3  · 
nabrU

Happy thanksgiving to you all Americans (I never understood the significance of it) Do you all form unions and strive for better pay, holidays etc as you sit around the Turkey?

Nov 22, 23 8:17 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

No. We don't. We do American things, looks genociding indigenous people.

Nov 22, 23 9:22 pm  · 
2  · 

People, don't forget, that it is "Happy Türkiye Day" now.!

Nov 23, 23 4:51 pm  · 
3  · 
ill_will

I just started a new job about 3 weeks ago. Previously I was at a rather intense, fast paced design firm (about 350 people). Now I'm at a smaller firm (100 or so people). The only reason I am able to type any of this is because I finished everything they've given me. I'm bored, like there's space in my brain to feel bored, space that would normally be consumed by intense project work. I fear that my senses will dull here and when I leave will I still be able to keep up at another busier firm? There are other flaws with this place, but that's another topic for another time. Anyone have any tips/ relevant thread suggestions? 

Nov 28, 23 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

It is possible that your new firm is easing you into things so that you can assimilate to the new firm?

Have you told your new firm's leadership that you have more time and would be able to handle more responsibilities?  

It sounds like you came from a firm that didn't care how much work you could handle and just piled it onto you without a care.

Nov 28, 23 3:52 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

A few things, first, it's the holidays, nothing of tremendous import is getting started and anything pushing to completion is not going to involve you at this point in time. Second, you're still becoming acclimated, three weeks is not enough time to fully understand your new environment, dig into it more. Third, there's always time to review existing projects, codes, etc. Fourth, your PM is probably catching their breath, getting ready for the new year, and where to fit you into project workloads. Fifth, enjoy the time to breathe yourself, next year comes fast.

Nov 28, 23 4:02 pm  · 
2  · 
ill_will

That's fair, I'm sure it'll pick up. I can probably study for LEED in the meantime.

Nov 28, 23 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Munger is dead, bye bish.

Nov 28, 23 4:36 pm  · 
2  · 
ill_will

That dude looks like a muppet

Nov 28, 23 5:47 pm  · 
2  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I'm beginning to think we all need to re-watch Red Dawn.

Nov 28, 23 6:36 pm  · 
 · 

As long as it's the one with Patrick Swayze.

Nov 28, 23 6:49 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

The only one worth watching.

Nov 28, 23 7:22 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

Anyone know if there's been any retrospective publication focusing on Zaha Hadid's drawings? It seems like everything available is basically just large-format coffee table book of architecture photographs with very minimal written information. I'd love to actually do a deep-dive into her history.

Nov 28, 23 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Should we do a competition for the 4 million murdered by Kissinger?

Nov 30, 23 7:42 pm  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

I think I need to get started on an essay about how good (expensive) architecture (a new private office building) can heal the world and prevent future genocide. It'll get published in AIA national's journal and lauded for the next year!

Dec 1, 23 9:10 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I think MVRDV beat us to the punch.

Dec 1, 23 11:11 am  · 
 · 

Excellent gift guide this year, @Archinect! Good balance of silly and serious. 

Dec 1, 23 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

I'm researching my holiday cookie recipes I want to use this year and one of them includes "1.3333333730698 cups flaked coconut" and boy am I glad I'm an architect!

Dec 1, 23 2:02 pm  · 
4  · 

That .00000007 makes all the difference

Dec 5, 23 10:03 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I learned that there are a couple large firms in my area that have been dumping most of their “overpriced” pandemic hires. One large firm is down to about half the size of where they were right before the pandemic. My previous office is “very slow” and has had two more rounds of layoffs since I was let go. I’ve been hearing next year is going to be rough for firms that specialized in office and multi-family - unless borrowing rates drop.

Dec 5, 23 9:49 am  · 
1  · 
Bench

city?

Dec 5, 23 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I was speaking with a arch friend of mine a few days ago who told me they had just canned a bunch of their lower performing team members. I thought that was strange because everyone else, our office included, is absolutely swamped. Maybe it's because we did not pull the trigger on all those applicants looking to cash in on insane covid-increased salaries.

Dec 5, 23 1:16 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Every year around Christmas my office gets into heated debates about how to draw something. In previous years it was about staircase cut-offs, windows, what a window threshold is, and how it is defined.  I wonder if this year's debate will be about coffer beams or mullions.

Dec 5, 23 10:17 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

What's a window threshold? I'm a word nerd, especially for elements of construction, but I can't recall ever hearing those words said together.

Dec 5, 23 10:43 am  · 
3  · 
ivanmillya

We do that at my office too! Last year it was about representing and dimensioning window & door masonry openings (whether to centerline or give the opening size). I'm eager to see what it'll be this year.

Dec 5, 23 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It's always vapour retarders up here.

Dec 5, 23 12:02 pm  · 
2  · 

I've been doing this all year long with a committee at my firm. We meet weekly unless other things come up. It's better IMHO to have it only once a year around Christmas. Dragging it out over the year means you get burned out and don't really put your whole heart and soul into arguing your stance as much.* Sprint vs. marathon thing I think.

I'm with you WG, I want to know what a window threshold is and how it's defined.

*Except for one guy who seems to forget that we've argued and decided against him on multiple fronts for his pet arguments. He just likes to relitigate things I guess, or maybe legitimately forgets how many times we've handed him his ass.

Dec 5, 23 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur wrote:

"It's always vapor retarders up here." 

Dang Canadian.

It's vapor retarder here in 'Murica. Get those metric pronunciations 'outa here.

Dec 5, 23 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey now, how'bout you be a nice neighbour and leave my u out of this. Stick to your archaic nonsensical feeties and inchies.

Dec 5, 23 1:09 pm  · 
2  · 

I'm doin' things in twelfths damn it!

We only use metric for ammo, drugs, alcohol,  and track.  'Murica!

Also, don't forget about the yard.  ;) 

Dec 5, 23 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and cabinets, all measured in mm. and much better built in canada.

Dec 5, 23 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

see if this works

Dec 5, 23 3:52 pm  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

Not available in my country :(

Dec 5, 23 5:24 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

archiwutm8, do you mean window sill?

Dec 5, 23 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

VPNs can be your friend

Dec 6, 23 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

just a minor vent. I’m so frustrated by the thread about social justice in architecture schools. Partly because social justice is a good thing, but also because there seriously are too many helicopter parents these days. My parents said “choose a state school because we can’t afford out of state tuition” and I took on all the research from there. My son is in college now, and I’ve basically left him on his own to figure out most of it, although my husband does help (in my opinion, sometimes too much).

Dec 5, 23 9:58 pm  · 
4  · 
JLC-1

I think she's worried about her daughter deviating from the family politics more than anything.

Dec 5, 23 10:19 pm  · 
1  ·  1
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Which is good way to ensure she does

Dec 5, 23 10:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

My parents said, oh you picked architecture? Sounds ok. Go on. And that was it.

Dec 5, 23 11:12 pm  · 
2  · 

My wife would agree with you Donna. I'm of mixed feelings on how much to help my kids, and find myself more and more thinking I grew up too much with the idea that the right way to do things is by our own power, no help. That attitude held me back so much as a youth, and I find myself leaning towards acting the other way as an act of contrition. By chance am reading "Bootstrapped" by Alissa Quart this week and she makes some good points about how pervasive the myth of self-sufficiency is in north american culture and how it is used to maintain the status quo in favor of people in power. It's a bit cringey at times but that doesnt make it untrue.

FWIW my parents never discussed university or jobs or my future ever, except the one time my dad had an army recruiter visit our house to see if I might try that out...in hindsight that was liberating and also completely unhelpful.

Dec 6, 23 3:02 am  · 
8  · 
Bench

i cant see this thread anywhere?

Dec 6, 23 11:29 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

"I've had one encouraging response that sort of enforced what I believed" is all I needed to read.

Dec 6, 23 1:11 pm  · 
8  · 
Non Sequitur

Response from one-post ponies who created new accounts on the same day too.

Dec 6, 23 1:58 pm  · 
3  · 
____

Helicopter Moms for Liberty

Dec 6, 23 2:32 pm  · 
3  · 
gwharton

My dad said, "Oh, you picked architecture? Can you at least get certified as a diesel mechanic or something so you can fall back on it when you need money?" To be fair, he did apologize for that years later when I was principal architect winning design awards. ;-D

Dec 6, 23 2:40 pm  · 
4  · 
midlander

the key catch here is this helicopter mom is helping her daughter apply to GRADUATE school! this is simply a controlling parent disagreeing with her daughter's choices. i wish we had the daughters perspective on all this here.

Dec 6, 23 5:52 pm  · 
3  · 
____

I think her daughter's perspective is implied. It shouldn't be to surprising. Additionally her rebellion is delayed until 22.

Dec 6, 23 6:08 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Nothing wrong with being interested and helpful in the process. There is something wrong with being over-involved & pushing goals not held by the kid. I don't think the OP over there really laid claim to the second to my reading. There's a bit of an over-enthusiasm to crucify her by reading a subtext that may or may not be there, imho

Dec 6, 23 6:39 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Subtext is pretty transparent. I've met many with similar likes of "questioning". It's always the same people offended when the conversation turns to pronouns. C rucifixion warranted

Dec 6, 23 6:50 pm  · 
4  · 
midlander

manipulative and controlling people tend to be very good at presenting a different face towards outside observers. just a guy feeling on this one, nothing in what she wrote.

Dec 7, 23 6:24 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

*gut feeling ...

Dec 7, 23 6:25 am  · 
 · 

I hear you proto and I agree but I also agree with everyone else. I’m sure there’s more nuance to the story. But I ask myself if the mom wanted her daughter to investigate schools why didn’t she show this website to the young adult and say “maybe there’s something to be learned here?” instead of posting the question herself. The daughter is an adult.

Dec 7, 23 6:26 am  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

That thread is bizarre all around.

Dec 7, 23 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Bench

"her rebellion is delayed until 22"

the most typical kind of rebellion for the late blooming architect ... ha!

On a mildly related note, I did my admitted student school tours for graduate school back in '12 or '13; extremely excited for one of the schools as it's been regularly cited as one of the top M.Arch programs in the country (whatever that means). Pretty standard prospective student body from the looks of it, but one guy who was fresh out of undergrad had his mother in tow. It became pretty clear throughout the day that she was really speaking for him, not just accompanying him. Culminated in the final session of the day on student aid and paying for the program, where she fully hijacked the discussion with the administrator and went to town with questions/opinions on everything. I don't think this kid could have slunk any further down into his chair ...

Wherever you are, hop it worked out for ya buddy

Dec 7, 23 8:33 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

Bench, I did open house presentations for 2 arch schools and entrance interviews for one. There was always a few agressive helicopter parents there.

Dec 7, 23 10:03 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

Bench - I recall something similar at a certain “elite
grad program

Dec 7, 23 10:46 am  · 
1  · 

My bet is that any rebellion that is likely to happen has already happened (or bare minimum has already been set in motion); the news of it just hasn't reached the mother. News will likely reach the mother when their child feels financially independent.

E.g. The mother seems worried about their child's politics. My bet is the child already has voted differently than the mother might expect, or has already made up their mind to next year.

Dec 7, 23 11:19 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

^or the child came how with purple hair.

Dec 7, 23 11:33 am  · 
1  · 
____

My money is on the purple hair.

Dec 7, 23 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I wanted to take a gap year and live in a van while I skied every day. 

I only applied to school because I got a free application after scoring shockingly close to perfect on my SAT. I only went to the school because I nearly got a full scholarship. Never visited campus, never talked to anyone, fuck, I had never been East of the Mississippi. 

15 years later, here I am living in my van down by the river. You can delay destiny but never avoid it.

Dec 8, 23 6:37 am  · 
5  · 

Congratulations on your SAT score archanonymous! I was a really good student but totally blew my SATS. Probably still high from the night before. But I knew I was going to a state school that would take me so I also didn't try very hard. I tried *hard* on my GREs and did fine, nothing close to perfect though! Aren't you also an Eagle Scout?

Dec 8, 23 10:01 am  · 
 · 

I still jealous of living in the van down by the river - given where that van has been the last couple of years.

Dec 8, 23 11:48 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

@Donna well I got high in my car before hand so I'll attribute it mostly to luck. I had the coolest little mini-bong that fit in a sunglass case when I was in high school... man I miss that thing. 

In the grand scheme of things it is something I never think about (the SATs that is - I miss that mini bong all the time) but it does form part of that chain of events that took me to university. Life's weird that way. 

Definitely not an Eagle Scout - but I did help several friends with their scout projects doing wildfire and erosion management around where I grew up.

Dec 9, 23 8:41 am  · 
2  · 

I'm ready for the office to close for the holidays.  Uhg. 

Dec 6, 23 1:17 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

There are, uh, techniques you can use to make that happen.

Dec 7, 23 8:03 am  · 
3  · 

I'd still like for the firm to exist after the holidays . . .

Dec 7, 23 9:38 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

These... "techniques" of which you speak... Do any involve handcuffs, a polaroid, and half a roller derby team? Just asking for a fiend.

Dec 7, 23 5:31 pm  · 
2  · 

Depends on the roller derby team.

Dec 7, 23 6:22 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

... and which half!

Dec 7, 23 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

@citizen, that's one way to skin a cat for sure!

Dec 8, 23 6:38 am  · 
1  · 
proto

#weekendgoals

#holidaygoals

#livelovelaughwithhalfarollerderbyteam

Dec 8, 23 7:18 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

RIP Ryan O'Neal

RIP

Dec 8, 23 5:21 pm  · 
3  · 

We should absolutely get the entire month of December off. That is all.

Dec 12, 23 11:44 am  · 
7  · 
Non Sequitur

and what, work twice as hard in november and january?

Dec 12, 23 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Our office is closed Christmas Eave through New Years. You can take vacation, leave without pay, or work. All up to you.

Dec 12, 23 11:49 am  · 
1  · 

One of those agree in theory, but not in practice type things. That said, giving myself between Xmas and New Years off with exception of anything that comes up/background firm stuff

Dec 12, 23 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Nope just a month of merriment and no working.

Dec 12, 23 11:51 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

^same deal here but we also allow people to bank hours in advance or use any unclaimed sick days (because they don't roll over). The management staff just get it covered without the need to account for the hours because we work enough OT during the other 51 weeks to make up for a few days.

Dec 12, 23 11:52 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Thanksgiving through New Years, except back in the office on Boxing Day.

Dec 12, 23 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

October to dec 26 off is a good idea... oh wait, you mean US thanksgiving....

Dec 12, 23 12:19 pm  · 
3  · 

You know what NS...

Dec 12, 23 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

We're also closed the last week of December. My last office did the flex hours/accrued hours thing for any worked over 40/week that you could bank for the whole year, but not my current.

Dec 12, 23 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

+++ for using merriment.

Dec 12, 23 12:48 pm  · 
2  · 
J G

we should get the whole year off. nothing but merriment

Dec 12, 23 2:11 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

Ah, why did the big green head turn off comments on the sponsored harvard crypto tech-bro jive "course"?  SO much potential snark opportunities missed. Could probably power a whole crypto mining rig with a day's worth of comments.  Certainly would take away the attention off the genocide dumpster fire.

Anyways, I guess there are worst ways to burn $500 than attend the architecture's future is blockchain...  

Dec 13, 23 10:46 am  · 
2  · 
pandahut

Here here, we can just slam Harvard president on this thread and call for her to step down. Privilege has many faces....

Dec 13, 23 10:55 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Okay Bill Ackman

Dec 13, 23 11:21 am  · 
 · 

They always turn off comments on the sponsored posts. On the one hand, I don't get to leave snarky comments and see other's snark. On the other hand, it means the post fades off the page pretty quickly and gets lost to the bowels of the internet and forgotten.

I also think it's sort of nice that the BGH says, "You can pay for a post, but we don't guarantee any engagement ... in fact we'll go to lengths to actively discourage it. Thanks for your money."

Dec 13, 23 12:08 pm  · 
4  · 
Bench

Wait but we've definitely shit talked sponsored posts before. There's that one recruiter who puts one up every month or so and people have called him out for the terrible career advice he writes about.

Dec 13, 23 1:15 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Don't think that one is a paid-for "blog" post Bench.

Dec 13, 23 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, that's just a recruiter trying to get briskness by lying.

Dec 13, 23 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

Probably a dumb question, but who is the big green head? (if you're not referring to the color of american money)

Dec 13, 23 4:12 pm  · 
 · 

"Big Green Head" aka "BGH" aka "Archinect" aka "Paul Petrunia the site's founder/owner"

I think the title is a nod to the Wizard of Oz where a "man behind the curtain" controls a big green head. It's probably back in one of the first hundred pages of TC if anyone wants to trace it down.

Dec 13, 23 4:28 pm  · 
4  · 

No spoiler alert on that because the film is coming up on 85 years old next year.

Dec 13, 23 4:45 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

wtf dude i was just about to watch that!

Dec 14, 23 9:28 am  · 
6  · 

Spoiler alert!

It starts out in black and white, but there's color in the land of Oz!

Dec 14, 23 11:28 am  · 
1  · 
Bench

that was some cutting edge creativity back in the day ...

Dec 14, 23 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Another spoiler, it's about the brokenness of a capitalist system.

Dec 14, 23 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Isn't everything?

Dec 14, 23 4:58 pm  · 
2  · 
Rough Times's comment has been hidden
Rough Times

TESTING

Dec 13, 23 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

TESTICALS?

Dec 13, 23 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
ill_will

TESTICAL TESTIMONIES.

Dec 14, 23 11:12 am  · 
 · 

testing ... a new user name, or figuring out if an old one still works?

Dec 14, 23 11:22 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Better to be quizzical than testicle, I always say.

Dec 14, 23 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Does anyone work with a marketing person to push content to your social media or wherever you advertise? And wouldn't mind sharing their info with me?

Dec 14, 23 10:50 am  · 
 · 

I’ve been doing it all myself right now, with plans of getting someone to help. Send me a message and I’ll give you a couple contacts.

Dec 18, 23 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Good evening TC. A lot of us have known a lot of us for a long long time here on TC!  And we’ve seen each other go through some significant life changes. So I’m here to post that I’m taking a last minute flight to Phoenix right now because my dad is about to enter hospice. It’s a really sad thing, of course, but I don’t want to bring anyone else down. My dad is approaching death with exactly the same optimism and gratefulness for life that he has approached every single thing in the last 84 years! If you like me, it’s all because of how my father has modeled a good life for me. He’s an extraordinary human and I’m grateful I have the ability to go across country to see him off this plane (get it?).

Anyway, much love to Archinectors tonight. Keep on keeping on. 

Dec 18, 23 6:55 pm  · 
18  · 
Non Sequitur

Raising a glass of bourbon Donna. I recently, no less than 6 weeks ago, had a similar situation with a very dear and significant family member.

Dec 18, 23 7:07 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Sorry to hear Donna, I was in the same situation 4 years ago (cant believe its been 4 years already) that Mom's cancer treatments stopped working and she started getting very sick, around the same time, and she left us in Feb 2020.

I remember her care team mentioning how many people they lose over the holidays, it is always more than the "usual".

Much love to you all and hope Dad's last moments are as painless and light as possible.

Dec 18, 23 8:59 pm  · 
3  · 

Thank you sameold.

Dec 18, 23 10:41 pm  · 
1  · 

Dear Donna, I am sending you and your family love, care, and sympathies. Sounds like a great Dad you have. Even though we see death as finite, it is not. From my personal experience, he'll always be there for you.

Dec 18, 23 11:36 pm  · 
2  · 
Volunteer

Donna, so sorry to hear about your Dad. It is very good you can go and be with him for a while.

Dec 19, 23 10:50 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, that's about the best one can hope for in this situation. You're both lucky to have each other.

Dec 19, 23 11:38 am  · 
2  · 
pandahut

Sending love.

Dec 20, 23 10:33 am  · 
1  · 

I'm very sorry to hear about this Donna.

Dec 20, 23 10:46 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Donna, my heart goes out to you, your dad, and your family. He's lucky to have you for a daughter, too.

Dec 21, 23 8:17 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

Really tired of 500 emails a day from aconex and the various document management systems but especially aconex

Dec 19, 23 5:10 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

ACONEX SUCKS ASS

Dec 19, 23 10:31 am  · 
 · 
luvu

Anything in the market is better… ? not really

Dec 19, 23 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

so are Tyler Phillip and Naylor Ella just a rogue AI bot ?

Dec 20, 23 8:23 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Yes. Naylor claims to live in the city of Brazil yet profile states from Misourri. Also loves linkin park.

Dec 20, 23 8:48 am  · 
 · 

I think it's adorable how hard the little bots are trying. It's like watching a puppy trying to navigate stairs for the first time.

Dec 20, 23 9:59 am  · 
 · 

Nothing wrong with loving the dulcet tones of Chester Bennington

Dec 20, 23 11:51 am  · 
2  · 
nabrU

How come I can't post on what music are you listening to and all my posts over years have been removed from that thread? 

Dec 20, 23 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

You're not allowed to post NKOTB. D00d.

Dec 20, 23 5:41 pm  · 
nabrU

It was plenty of good music tho, from friends bands, a bit of roots fire, a bit of hip hop. Just good music, kind of had hoped a bunch of architects would respect cultural heritage...

Dec 20, 23 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Oh hush nabrU. No one is disrespecting anything.

Dec 20, 23 6:12 pm  · 
nabrU

Whoever got the music removed is disrespecting the artists.

Dec 20, 23 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This better not be about disrespecting Neil young.

Dec 20, 23 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

No one disrespects Southern Man

Dec 20, 23 6:43 pm  · 
1  · 

A Southern man don't need him around, anyhow.

Dec 20, 23 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Merry Christmas everyone, and I recommend to watch this short series, 

Dec 22, 23 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Happy Christmas Eve from one of my favorite airports, the McNamara terminal in Detroit! I m crazy for this showily-engineered fountain: 

But I couldn’t enjoy the holiday-themed light and music show due to being distracted by this *significant* crack in the terrazzo that ran the length of the connector, but only on one side. 

Four more hours and I’ll be home! 

Dec 24, 23 6:46 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

I fucking hate that goddamn tunnel. Whoever thought that what tired and annoyed travellers need is a LOUD AND FLASHY INSTALLATION THAT GOES IN THE ENTIRE WIDTH OF THE RUNWAY is an asshole.

Jan 8, 24 1:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Hi TC!

Donna, this "approaching death with exactly the same optimism and gratefulness for life that he has approached every single thing" is a wonderful tribute! I know certainly not a thing could always be said for me, but a North Star for a good life. May his memory be a blessing.

Regarding EA's comment on liveliness of forums, in my own case, a direct result of fatherhood and professional growth (maybe also a bit the growth of various newer digital "communities"). Though I'd also note that both archiwutm8's post (on end of year drawing debates) and ill_will latest, and the even brief convos they kicked off are representative of (one of reasons) why I keep coming back...

I'm curious how many TCers' are Novids? We'd made it almost 4 years and then finally tested positive Friday. Luckily seems to be a mostly mild case but definitely glad we were vaxxed nonetheless.

Wishing y'all a happy holidays/start of the year!

Dec 28, 23 12:40 am  · 
4  · 

Also I am pretty sure the BGH consists of more than Paul Petrunia. In my experience there is a small but mighty HQ/team, that has fluctuated (in size and personnel) over the years. Plus a few community member/moderators (with lesser powers).

Dec 28, 23 12:44 am  · 
3  · 

Oh and I missed the IRL 'Nectors convo. I've had pleasure of meeting a few, not as many as I'd like. Knew (went to school with but in a different program) a few of the older crew (Aaron and Quilian) and had pleasure later in life of meeting Javier, Nick (maybe Bryan?) and Orhan on a trip to CA. Attended at least a couple of Denver crew meetups early in my years here in CO. More recently I've missed (much to my chagrin) chances to meetup with b3ta and Donna during separate trips they've made here.

Dec 28, 23 12:55 am  · 
3  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I forgot about that meet-up in Denver, Nam. I met 3 more archinecters than I initially stated. I’m down for another meetup!

Dec 28, 23 11:24 am  · 
1  · 

Still a family of Novids over here. Sorry to hear you tested positive, but glad it seems to be mild. Rest up. Happy Holidays

Dec 28, 23 1:34 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I got Covid from a rage against the machine outdoor show.

Dec 28, 23 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

@Wilma, that'd be great! Will try to remember to email the emails I still have for y'all in the New Year/once we are clean. @Non., I was supposed to go to the 97 Rage-Wu tour. Got grounded and RATM is still one of my biggest regrets/bucket list groups!

Dec 29, 23 12:51 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

With an abundance of caution, I superstitiously won't say that I haven't had Covid. But I'm not saying I have tested positive either.

Dec 29, 23 9:49 am  · 
4  · 
proto

same, afraid to write that sort of thing out...

Dec 30, 23 3:02 pm  · 
2  · 
vado retro

In the last three years, I have had everything except Covid.

Dec 30, 23 10:55 am  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Huzzah?!

Dec 30, 23 10:56 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Me Looking For My Wallet
Dec 30, 23 10:57 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Where's the last place you had it?

Dec 31, 23 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
vado retro

Those who forget Archinect History are doomed to repeat it.

Dec 30, 23 10:58 am  · 
2  · 
vado retro

Those who forget Archinect History will be doomed to repeat it. Happy New Year.

Dec 30, 23 11:07 am  · 
4  · 

Hey guys, how are you all doing?!  I've been lurking a bit lately and feeling like I wanted to dip my toe back into the forum here a bit, especially since Xitter imploded. Donna, I also love the Detroit airport!  I'm still out here in Portland and we're anxiously awaiting the opening of our brand new woodsy PDX terminal roof, which I'm sure you've all heard about plenty by now. My friend started working at ZGF last year and has posted about it on LinkedIn, hopefully cross-posting is OK, here are some behind-the-scenes photos in case you're interested: https://www.linkedin.com/posts...

Also I procreated since the last time I posted on here, I think?  Gosh it's been so long!  Anyway, here she is in disguise (LOL) earlier this year at daycare.

Metra in disguise

Baby in sunglasses and hat

Happy almost New Year!  

Dec 30, 23 4:25 pm  · 
8  · 

Haha! Eltona John. Time flies, I’m trying to miser it! Happy new year emkem!!!

Dec 30, 23 7:15 pm  · 
1  · 

Nice to see the reappearance of two "old-timers"... Also congrats Emily!

Dec 30, 23 11:42 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

My goodness! Why is that adorable toddler surrounded by baby bodies on the floor? =O)

Dec 31, 23 6:42 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

She's so cute... and looks like she's calmly checking her nails after kicking serious baby butt.

Jan 1, 24 5:48 pm  · 
2  · 

That kid has more style than I ever will.

Jan 8, 24 11:02 am  · 
1  · 
proto

Happy new year to our friends down under - kicking it all off for 2024!

Dec 31, 23 12:02 pm  · 
4  · 
Architectnew1010

Hey guys, 

Newish architect here.

Are allowances usually made for MEP services when you do designs, or would you just wait to be told how much room to leave once a MEP consultant is in board? 

Any help would be great! 

Jan 1, 24 1:40 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

You should plan ahead for mechanical space, probably 2-3 times more area than you think you need. In the residential world we rarely have the benefit of a mechanical engineer on the design team but I have found having one to be a valuable addition.

No matter how much space you give them, engineers and HVAC contractors will want more, but it's really difficult to squeeze everything into a space that's not large enough.

Over the weekend I had to relight the pilot light on my mother-in-law's water heater and I literally didn't have space to see whether it was lit.

Jan 1, 24 12:01 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

To this important matter of adequate space, I would add strategic location(s)-- for better and more efficient equipment access (per WG) as well as duct and piping runs.

Jan 1, 24 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Don't forget ventilation requirements if you're closing in the room

Jan 1, 24 4:44 pm  · 
1  · 

LET THERE BE ZUMTHOR!

Jan 6, 24 4:13 pm  · 
4  · 

Did you visit La Brea? I've always wanted to go. They are right across the street right? Any sense whether the NHMLAC or this will be a better/more architecturally interesting, project?

Jan 6, 24 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Nam we did Peterson (stooooopid building) LACMA and TarPits in one day and I looooooved the tar pits! I could stand and watch those little black bubbles burst all day long. I even had my son take a picture of me with the CGI-generated extinct animals. Here I am with some kind of bird and the glorious Goff Japanese pavilion behind me.

Jan 8, 24 8:34 am  · 
1  · 

Huh, can’t get the picture to load. I’ll try later.

Jan 8, 24 8:36 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Can you believe they considered getting rid of the mammoths?

Jan 8, 24 1:21 pm  · 
2  · 

Me, Bruce Goff, and a virtual Pleistocene-era turkey.

Jan 8, 24 2:24 pm  · 
9  · 

You gotta kick that turkey's ass.

Jan 8, 24 4:06 pm  · 
1  · 

sidenote, Bart Prince had a huge role in bringing the project to life as Goff passed away two years before the construction started with a lot of unresolved details. So happy that Zumthor's LACMA will visually bring it to viewers. Glad to see you are having fun Donna.

Jan 8, 24 7:45 pm  · 
4  · 
sameolddoctor

This reminds me to take the kids to the tarpits and the academy museum. Havent been to the area for 3-4 years now even though we live in LA. Life is busy, and im busy being disgusted on how they tore down the old beautiful LACMA buildings....

Jan 9, 24 10:23 am  · 
4  · 
midlander

i love that quirky little gallery. i wish museums today were able to have that kind of playful idiosyncrasy without any pretense of importance.

Jan 12, 24 9:45 am  · 
1  · 
natematt

The outside does not hold a candle to how nutso the interior is. What a fun space. Wish all the acrylic aged a little better.

Jan 15, 24 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Quiet on TC but I'll point to this News item about Oana. 

https://archinect.com/news/art...

Oana was one of the way-back regulars on the Forum when she was a student! It's been amazing seeing her successes. 

Unrelated. One thing I couldn't get over on my trip to LA was how defensive all the architecture is. In ALL of the residential neighborhoods I went through the majority of houses had fences or dense plant growth right up against the street, with a gate to enter the property, and the house was barely visible. I think this relates to historic Central American architecture that emphasizes interior courtyards, and maybe it's just an adopted approach to the street that Southwestern settlers used. In any case, it's good for privacy from the street but to me seemed a little dramatic? Like everyone has to hide because they're movie stars? Or like everyone is so afraid of their neighbors they have to build mini-fortresses? 

Anyway LA is lush.

Jan 11, 24 9:39 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Lush here!  =O|    I've seen much more of that in recent years, Donna. I believe some it is an old-fashioned desire for privacy in single-family neighborhoods. Sometimes it's just at the front/sidewalk edge, and not along the sides or rear-- indicating a specific aversion to strangers (and their dogs) and maybe solicitors. But some of it, I'm convinced, is just copying what the neighbors are doing, by folks not overly private but not wanting to miss out on a trend.  I can't imagine that most cases owe a conscious debt to Latin American urban design.  If only.

PS. I wish we'd gotten to meet up, but I know travel time is packed and precious on trips like this.

Jan 11, 24 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Well, Donna, in LA proper, a lot of the defensiveness is a direct result of the crime rate as well. Not sure if you went to suburbs like Pasadena, Glendale etc where you can see open front yards with super low hedges/fences.

And yes, its been so nice to see Oana's successes from the student days to now.

Jan 12, 24 10:33 am  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

front yards are the stupidest thing invented by men.

Jan 12, 24 11:15 am  · 
 · 

If there is no "get off my yard" what are old men supposed to yell at kids about?

Jan 12, 24 11:29 am  · 
4  · 

The front yard is where I practice my martial arts while wearing a red speedo. My neighbors love it! Oh wait . . . .

Jan 15, 24 7:42 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

With the right accessories, Chad, you won't need the martial arts.Sean Connery rocked a scarlet mankini In 1974 sci-fi movie "Zardoz".

And yes, that's Sean Connery.

Jan 16, 24 12:36 am  · 
1  · 

That's from the movie Zardoz. FYI - that film is where the phrase 'big green head' comes from. In the film the big green head floats around and barfs up guns for the people to fight with.

Jan 16, 24 12:02 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Hey now, that SC pic is my jam! Love that movie.

Side note:  I may just be a overly polite dirty communist Canadian but it appears to me that the bullets in Sir Sean Connery's suspenders don't fit the revolver he's packing.

Jan 16, 24 12:08 pm  · 
2  · 

There is a lot to unpack in Non's statement. ;) Non - I always figured the rounds in the bandoleer were for a rifle.

In 'Merica we know the difference between bullets and rounds.  Now excuse me, I have a mass shooting to mourn and kidney to sell to afford my healthcare.  Freeeeeedoooooom!  

Jan 16, 24 12:20 pm  · 
1  · 
archiwutm8

I’m so burnt out, like mentally capping out, I’m making mistakes, hating every waking working moment and going home to other issues. I really don’t know what to do, the usually 1-2 weeks holidays aren’t cutting it anymore. Any advice?

Jan 12, 24 5:16 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

probably remove yourself from the situation. maybe look for a different office, or adjacent career?

Jan 12, 24 8:48 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

also, try to focus on the positive. there has to some element of the work situation you like, maybe some piece of the design or some detail you worked out. also, something at home you like. maybe a good dinner. think about the positive stuff and then think about how you can shift your situation so you're doing more of the positive thing and less of the burn-out thing.

Jan 12, 24 8:50 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I’m burned out too. No advice just know what it feels like and it sucks. I need new energy.

Jan 12, 24 9:17 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

My partner getting COVID and hence erasing Xmas week plans have increased my burnout big time.

Jan 12, 24 11:34 am  · 
1  · 

I'm in the same situation as you archiwutm8.

I've found that keeping time for myself to get outdoors and get exercise really helps me handle the stress. 

I also have a series of fun activities throughout the year that I've planned so I look forward to them 

Good luck with this!

Jan 12, 24 11:38 am  · 
1  · 

Want to hear something incredibly weird? My burnout was "cured" (is it ever really?) by going out on my own and controlling how my labor is spent, what it is spent on, etc... It's the most stress I've had in my life, but a different kind of stress. Of course, this path is absolutely not for everyone and I still wonder what the hell did I do on a daily basis. Finding ways to take control of your situation may help.

Jan 12, 24 12:02 pm  · 
4  · 
archiwutm8

Honestly, I'm starting to have chest aches end of the working day and I don't know if it's long sitting hours or panic attacks. I go for long walks on weekends but the whole working week honestly just really sucks.

Jan 12, 24 12:15 pm  · 
1  · 

That's absolutely a sign that the situation isn't right for you. I've been there, and I hate that you're going through this.

Jan 12, 24 12:19 pm  · 
5  · 

Yeah, archiwutm8 please don't continue to be this miserable. Try to find another job. A job isn't worth this kind of stress to both your mental and physical health.

Jan 12, 24 12:31 pm  · 
5  · 

archiwutm8 - are you able to see a doctor and then speak to your firm about this? I am genuinely concerned about your well being. This is just a job. It's not worth your physical or mental health.

Jan 12, 24 12:53 pm  · 
5  · 
axonapoplectic

I was very burned out at my last job. I started by telling people it would take me a couple days or a week to get something done instead of them telling me they needed it by the end of the day. That push back and managing expectations helped a lot. I think it might have led to them laying me off, but I found something pretty quick and started from the beginning managing others’ expectations. Much less stress.

Jan 14, 24 3:55 pm  · 
5  · 
archiwutm8

I try that but doesn't work like that where I am. The client wants everything asap and management is disorganized and stressed out 24/7. I'm considering gathering funds for the next few months and might call it quit and go teach English, been in AEC for 10+ years now and if I'm honest I don't know if I ever enjoyed it, I enjoy design and architecture issues like social housing but the work environment just isn't right.

Jan 15, 24 3:57 pm  · 
4  · 

archiwutm8 - Sounds like the firm you're at is crap.

Jan 15, 24 3:59 pm  · 
3  · 
flatroof

That's what I did saved up enough to give myself a runway for a year or so and bailed. You need some time to decompress and find a "bridge job" that is low stress as you plan your next move. Burnout fries you good and you don't want to jump into another big change right after leaving a toxic place.

Jan 16, 24 11:07 am  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

In Nov/Dec of 2022 I burnt out to the point of actual collapse (as in I literally COULDN'T get out of bed). I spent the first half of 2023 either in psychiatric treatment or just watching YouTube all day, tried going back to the old job in June but lasted 2 weeks before I was back in the hospital. I'm very fortunate to live in a state with relatively generous disability or I'd be homeless.

Start taking care of yourself before your body decides for you.

(I started a new job in August, which is great, but I'm still feeling some of the effects of the burnout.)

Jan 18, 24 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

This industry really follows you. I was at a cafe this weekend enjoying myself and a couple next to me were talking about work and one of them crying their eyes out about how much they hate work. Surprise, surprise she was an architect. I go home and log into my city subreddit and the first post is a suicide and the girl was another architect stressed out.

Jan 15, 24 4:00 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

Yeah you need to quit. My workplace sucks ass too but perhaps only 10% of what you are describing...so quit and find something else

Jan 15, 24 5:13 pm  · 
4  · 
Volunteer

One architecture firm (I think it is in Bozeman, Montana) frequently receives 'Best Places to Work' awards, so the common massive stress often described here is not necessarily baked in the job.   

I would consider giving notice. Give them two or four weeks of notice and tell them you would be available part-time after that if more time is needed to hand off projects. (Don't run up more than a week's wages without getting paid). 

Write a polite letter without outright lying: "I have enjoyed working with the people here and have learned a lot.. ect, ect, ect. I wish everyone at the firm continued success ect. ect.."

I think the stress problem may be related to the workload never relaxing. After you finish a project working at 110% everyone needs a few days of very light duty to recover. No one can jump right back in the next day to a mad pace.l

Just my 2 cents.  

Jan 16, 24 1:13 pm  · 
3  · 

I would go one step further. 

Some firms expect their team members to have nearly a 100% utilization ratio (amount of time you can bill out your work). That is not possible or sustainable. In my experience any utilization ratio of over 90% isn't sustainable for more than a couple of months without burnout.  Realistically  you want your utilization ratio to be around 85%.  

Ever feel like you've only been doing 40 hours a week but you're just burnt out? That's why.

Jan 16, 24 1:19 pm  · 
3  · 

I've worked at a firm as essentially a production drafter where I was expected to be at 95% utilization. That works out to only 2 hours per week of non-billable time on a normal 40 hour work week. One of those hours was a weekly staff meeting. The other was usually a lunch-and-learn. It was doable for me, but it was stupid and led to burn out pretty quickly. It didn't help the burnout that I also worked a lot of overtime because I was getting paid time and a half for it, but that did help the numbers work out better in terms of utilization.

Jan 18, 24 1:28 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Now I’m getting ads for 24 week cyber security programs. Entry level pay looks pretty good. I might do it. Architecture was once the most interesting thing but now seems so boring. Like I beat all the levels and need a new game now.

Jan 18, 24 9:46 am  · 
1  · 

Maybe that's why I went out on my own - to up the difficulty level!

Jan 18, 24 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

I wish I could beat all the levels on any part of my life. It must be nice. Why do I only choose things that are too challenging?  ;)

Jan 18, 24 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

I just left our 35 story office building to head to a meeting. We’re having some work done on the roof and as I walked through the lobby I saw a guy coming toward me wearing what I thought was rigging gear. I smiled and nodded at him - as I typically do when I see construction workers - but as he got closer I realized he was tricked out in gun and ammo gear, wearing all black. I smiled and said “Be safe out there” which was what I was planning to say to the laborer. He looked sheepish. Now I’m sure he thinks I was laughing at him.

TL;DR: I just embarrassed an ammosexual.

Jan 18, 24 3:11 pm  · 
10  · 
Non Sequitur

and this is why we're building a wall. It may be made of maple syrup, hockey sticks and hugs, but it's a wall nonetheless. It'll certainly keep fools like this out of our snow banks.

Jan 18, 24 3:14 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

he deserves to feel some embarrassment for parading around like that, if not actually stopped for questioning by the police for entering a major public space fully strapped (which quite frankly seems a valid response too)

Jan 18, 24 4:18 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

'Murica ... F Yeah

Jan 18, 24 6:18 pm  · 
2  · 

Open carry is stupid. If you do it you're stupid.

Jan 18, 24 7:09 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

why stop at open?

Jan 18, 24 10:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Cuz 'Murica and 'da 2nd aMendmit ShaLl nIt be inFridged'

Jan 19, 24 10:00 am  · 
 · 

Took my dad to a Steak n Shake in Indy a few months ago. I asked someone who was open-carrying if they feared a Frisco Melt. The look on that person's face...

Jan 19, 24 12:28 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

Reporting in from the Portland, OR, cold spell & now ice storm: still just awful. We've been in & out of power/internet since Saturday. All sorts of large trees failing (like 100' firs uprooting and tipping over). We're managing to keep warm and don't have a tree through our roof...yet. Last night, we had a brief scare with fire when a tree broke power lines up the street. Roads were dangerously glazed yesterday & again today. Tomorrow it's supposed to properly warm up. I keep having to remember that doesn't necessarily correlate with power/internet coming back...

Jan 19, 24 1:18 pm  · 
4  · 

Gosh, hang in there proto! Sounds scary.

Jan 19, 24 6:21 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

and we're back at it...lessons in resiliency for everyone involved! :)

Jan 22, 24 2:51 pm  · 
1  · 

Well it's time to get out of the office and get some cc skiing done in the mountains.  See you all on Monday.  Ok, I'll be in on Sunday but don't tell anyone. Silly deadline.  

Jan 19, 24 2:01 pm  · 
3  · 
JLC-1

keep an eye on the avalanches, temps rising this wknd.

Jan 19, 24 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Is that why all those cc skies open-carry sleek rifles? To protect themselves against roaming avalanche gangs?

Jan 19, 24 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

No avalanche danger where I was at. I would just use my ski poles to fight off avalanches. ;)

I did need to carry out an older woman who twisted her knee. Her friends couldn't carry her so we rigged up a litter with some cord and her skis. I got to pull her out 1.5 miles to the trailhead. Good thing the entire way was only slightly down hill. :s

Now to get back to this fire station project due in two weeks.  :(

Jan 20, 24 4:28 pm  · 
6  · 

Back in the office working on a fire station project.  Uhg.  I want to be at home with the partner and dog.  A month of 50+ hour weeks is really getting to me.  

Jan 21, 24 12:32 pm  · 
4  · 
archanonymous

Fire station sounds fun!

Jan 21, 24 7:19 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

I hope there's a fireperson's pole involved, or is that a thing of the past?

Jan 21, 24 7:25 pm  · 
 · 

From my research into fire station design back in undergrad ... they are a thing of the past. Too many injuries and I think they've found that wide staircases (enough for two abreast) are able to convey more fire fighters down a level faster than a pole with less injuries.

Jan 22, 24 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

As EA said - poles really aren't used due to injuries. Not from falling but from landing atop a person who's at the bottom of the pole. Wide stairs - or slides are used now. Yes, slides. Weeeeeee!

Jan 22, 24 2:34 pm  · 
5  · 
JLC-1

is this the CB fire station that was delayed for 3 years and now they want it all by yesterday?

Jan 22, 24 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

Careful on the slides. Don't let cops near them.

Jan 22, 24 2:40 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

So much for that "very faithful" 3S reboot I'd been hoping for.

Great 3 Stooges Running Gag: "Pulling Larry Back Up The Firepole" on Make a  GIF

Jan 22, 24 3:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Everyday, I LOVE that video! I could not stop laughing when it first came out. WTH did he do to end up moving so fast?! and the clattering, my god, the clattering!!!

Jan 22, 24 3:21 pm  · 
4  · 

JLC-1 wrote

"is this the CB fire station that was delayed for 3 years and now they want it all by yesterday?"

Yup.

Jan 22, 24 3:56 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Have they had a fire in that three years? If not, maybe the real money-saver here is to scuttle the new station and instead publicize and post: "Whatever y'all have been doing or not doing, keep it up!"  (And then a big thumbs-up graphic, obviously.)

Jan 22, 24 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Naw. They need a new fire station and search and rescue. Their current 'building' can't really be called a building and has almost fallen down. Also, they house all EMS so . . .

Jan 22, 24 4:18 pm  · 
2  · 
archiwutm8

Sounds like a fun project at least!

Jan 23, 24 4:56 am  · 
1  · 

It's an interesting project.

Jan 23, 24 11:07 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

I’ve worked on fire stations and am still familiar with this project type. They definitely still use poles - a lot of places prefer them - especially if space is at a premium. No one likes the corkscrew slides, and there’s growing concern over stair injuries. 

Jan 22, 24 3:59 pm  · 
2  · 

Straight slides.

Jan 22, 24 4:01 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

That news makes me happy.

Jan 22, 24 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

It seems weird that stations would make stairs the quick way to get down to the bay. It appears to be a one-way ticket to a workers comp claim.

Jan 23, 24 12:29 pm  · 
2  · 

You'd think that. 

However they've found that as long as the sleeping quarters on on the same floor as the bays it's fine. 

Ironically poles cause more injuries than stairs. The issue is that if a firefighter forgets call out that they're clear from the pole base, or the firefighter at the top doesn't listen for the 'clear' then the two collide. This typically is a 175 persons feet slamming into the top of someone's head.

Then there is the requirement to protect the top of the pole opening from people.  It basically needs to be in a separate room to keep people from accidentally falling through the floor opening.  

Jan 23, 24 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

My groundbreaking architectural idea in undergrad was to accommodate the fighters all trying to get to the bay at the same time from their sleeping quarters by widening the corridor from the sleeping quarters to the bay a little bit more at each door. Basically meant each person leaving their sleeping quarter had their own lane* to travel to the bays. It was a hit with the critics, but made for an inefficient building layout otherwise.

*I never defined "lanes" for them to travel in and it was a loose concept. The amount the corridor widened wouldn't have accommodated the width of someone anyway so their own "lane" wasn't really the point. It was more about having the room to navigate potential collision points in the corridor with others exiting their sleeping quarters.

Feel free to steal the idea for your project(s) ... YMMV.

Jan 23, 24 1:04 pm  · 
2  · 
gwharton

Why not just have their beds automatically drop them through the floor into their seats on the truck as soon as the alarm sounds? ;-) Fire and forget, baby!

Jan 23, 24 1:14 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

I like that thinking, gw. That's better than my idea of parking the fire trucks upstairs next to the sleeping quarters.

Jan 23, 24 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

The money saving option would be to have the bunks just fold down from the apparatus bay walls. When the alarm goes off the swing down.

Jan 23, 24 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe give them a 5-10 second delay before swinging down. Just to be nice

Jan 23, 24 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

There are poles with integrated trap doors that stay open for a few seconds before automatically closing. If it’s open a fire fighter coming down will know someone just went down.

Jan 23, 24 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Correct. If you have more money than space then poles can be a great option. Also when kids come to visit they all want to slide down the pole!

Jan 23, 24 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Why don't they just make the trucks themselves a little bigger and add submarine racks? Eliminate the need for crew quarters altogether.

Jan 23, 24 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

They still need a place to eat and work out. ;)

Jan 23, 24 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

I know we're joking around, but more seriously, fire departments need to make their apparatus smaller, not larger. I'd love to know how many "road diets" get shelved just because of fire trucks.

Jan 24, 24 1:42 pm  · 
1  · 

I don't do a lot of fire / EMS work. The few projects I've done the trucks do seem to be getting smaller. Of course the need for ladder trucks in some areas don't allow this.

Jan 24, 24 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Copied the following from a social media post I saw elsewhere. Thought I'd share here as well. Not sure how many of us are looking at AD on a daily basis.

Friendly reminder that Condé Nast workers are on strike until midnight EST tonight. Don't click on or share links from Condé Nast pubs! This includes

-Vogue/Teen Vogue
-Them
-GQ
-Bon Appétit
-Vanity Fair
-Self
-Architectural Digest
-Glamour
-Epicurious
-Allure

(Wired & New Yorker are a diff union)

Here is an article for more info: https://www.hollywoodreporter....

Jan 23, 24 1:48 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Lol architectural digest. Lamest architecture media outlet imaginable.

Jan 24, 24 8:24 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

Digest is infinitely better than Record. At least I get to see lush gardens and interiors.

Jan 24, 24 11:19 am  · 
1  · 

Are you all taking about those magazines I keep getting but never subscribed to? I use 'em as placemats when gluing models. You mean I could of been readin' 'em?!  

Jan 24, 24 11:28 am  · 
 · 

The general public doesn't know just how horrible the mainstream architecture magazines are in comparison to the overseas ones. Although, kind of true of architecture in general.

Jan 24, 24 11:53 am  · 
3  · 
flatroof

I got to move into a higher-paying career to afford an El Croquis subscription.

Jan 24, 24 3:22 pm  · 
4  · 
Volunteer

I find some of the modern houses that AD presents are very intriguing as are the interiors. The photography is always superb, 

Jan 24, 24 3:33 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

My biggest beouf is AD's steadfast, strict, frustrating ban on floor plans. My hunch is that it stems from concerns about privacy and security ("What? Madonna's kids' rooms are right next door to her sex dungeon?"). But this structural gap relegates "Architectural" in the title to fashion rather than description.

Jan 24, 24 4:09 pm  · 
5  · 
midlander

even many proper architectural publications abstract them into near uselessness, unfortunately...

Jan 26, 24 7:37 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

^ Yes, this! 

I want a deliciously drawn floor plan of graded line weights and broken lines illustrating wall thicknesses (poche' anyone?), windows, doors, fixtures, finishes, etcetera, etcetera. Even a basic plan that's scaled correctly and reasonably detailed is fine. But a reductive, non-scaled line diagram that looks like an electrical schematic is the absolute worst.

This issue highlights the larger divide between architectural training, custom & practice versus whatever the hell else is out there, driven by (not all, but many) developers.  Also, dare I be Grandpa Simpson yelling at clouds, some is borne of digital over digits-- computing vs. hand drawing.

There.  Now for some Metamucil (much more complex than regular mucil.)

Jan 26, 24 3:40 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

On second thought, worse than the development industry are the publisher/ media complex's shortcomings here. Images of flashy renderings are so easy to find and include. Harder to provide are plans, sections and elevations, even here on Archinect. When an editor or author goes to this trouble, the results are far better, and come much closer to "architectural" journalism.

Jan 26, 24 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: