Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

I juts pitched a grenade into the FLW window thread.

Sep 8, 20 3:32 pm  · 
5  · 
SneakyPete

pdx seems to be able to handle the heat

1  · 
archanonymous

That was a very gentle grenade, Donna.

2  · 
archanonymous

Grenadito?

1  · 

I too tossed an explosive into that thread.

· 
archanonymous

frosty.

· 
Non Sequitur

I am still angry at the outlet placement.

4  · 

Look, I think the single pane is just as dumb as the rest of you, but it's pretty clear at this point that pdx doesn't really care ... they can make a bigger fire in their fireplace if it gets frosty in the winter. They already said they're in a pretty moderate climate without big temp swings. It's a case study in why we have no hope of effectively combating climate change, but I don't think pdx is going to feel bad about it anytime soon.

3  · 
Non Sequitur

My 50year (ish) old living room windows are composed of 4 sliding 8mm single-pane glass sections. Considering that I have the pleasure of -40c winters, there is minimal frost.

· 
gwharton

Honestly, if a homeowner is okay with the higher energy expenses and potential condensation issues associated with single-pane glass, then let them have single-pane glass. It's their money.

tduds

Yeah, fuck energy codes amirite.

5  · 
SneakyPete

Lets continue killing the planet with billions of bad decisions defended by individual liberty.

4  · 
randomised

Who knows, maybe they generate their own energy totally renewable and sustainable...the salt water of architects’ tears can be used to generate plenty of electricity, and if the sockets don’t move, those tears will be flowing forever and so will the free electricity!

· 

Thing with frosting windows - it's not how much frost you have it's that you have it. The frost has a good chance of creating rot issues over time. Even in thermally broken metal windows the wood shims and sealants become degraded over time with a frost cycle.

2  · 
SneakyPete

Keep laughing, chucklehead.

1  · 

rando and sneaky just need to hook up and dispel all this sexual tension.

2  · 
SneakyPete

Yeah, all frustration needs to be connected to sex, right? I think you're projecting, bud.

1  · 
proto

sure, it has its issues, but, ultimately, here's a guy who went to bat with his money to get an architectural feature that we all drew in school and few of us ever got to put in a house because budget or whatever the usual compromise things are...imho, better than the "critique my sketchup dreamhouse plan" bs we see here

3  · 

Catherine Mohr has a 10-year-old TED talk about tradeoffs of building green. It's "ok" ... I can point out holes in her information, and we'd have plenty we probably disagree on. Regardless, the overall message is still the same that a lot of times the trivial things that get the most attention don't have the biggest impact. My guess is that if it is just the one window ... they still meet the energy code. There might be a small impact in overall energy use, but it could easily be offset by other choices. I just don't have a lot of faith that they will make those choices. 

As for individual freedom vs. greater good ... COVID-19 and the US response should be another good case study in future textbooks. I can't force pdx to put in insulating glass, nor can I force people to wear a mask. But it would be better for everyone if they could look past their individual freedom for a moment and consider the greater impact their actions have.

4  · 

sneaky - you're the one with all that pent up sexual tension, not me.

· 
SneakyPete

I'm in a sexually fulfilling relationship, not that it's your business, little boy.

1  · 
randomised

Don’t know why you’d even suggest that Chad, my comment was meant in general! (“Not that there’s anything wrong with it!”)

· 

I think thou two of you protest too much.     J/K  ;)

· 
randomised

I protest to that insinuation! All I did was make a little silly joke since all these architects here were criticising the poor fella from their moral high horse...I’m sure the projects they work on daily have larger carbon footprints and are more unsustainable that a single pane corner window

1  · 
Non Sequitur

cough... badly placed outlets in a feature corner is not a moral issue cough.

2  · 
SpontaneousCombustion

For all that fuss I thought there would be some breathtaking panoramic view from that corner, not backyard and trees.

4  · 

Rando - to be fair it's rather hard to have a smaller carbon footprint that a window. As for sustainable metric - that depends on how you measure sustainable.

· 
randomised

Chad, that OP lives in a moderate climate...I’m sure their energy consumption and carbon footprint is below all those critical archinectors living in colder or hotter climates that use AC or heating most of the year...It is hypocritical, to say the least, also considering the work we mostly do is unsustainable in nature!

· 
SneakyPete

Exclamation point for emphasis where the sentence is lacking!

· 

Rando - WTF are you babbling about?   You can't be certain of any of that you tool.  

· 
randomised

Of course I can Chad, the saline in architects’ tears can produce electricity through osmosis when forced through a special membrane, how do you not know that? That’s how Ivy League schools went carbon neutral, by increasing the snark at crits and harvesting the tears...or did you mean the stuff about energy consumption and carbon footprint? That is just logical reasoning and deduction...

· 

That's not logical reasoning and deduction. It's making assumptions.

· 
randomised

In your opinion!

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Turns out that a Klan Rally In the Rose Garden isn't a good idea.

Sep 9, 20 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Turns out - there's still a politics thread - go use it!

4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This isn't political. And this falls under the expressed intent of thread central, as it relates to a blog post.

1  · 
randomised

It’s landscape architecture, not politics!

1  · 
archanonymous

I agree, it really isn't political until someone calls it a Klan rally.

· 
randomised

That’s just b3taspeak for landscape architecture

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

"I agree, it really isn't political until someone calls it a Klan rally." 

Actually, a racist conclave is not political, anymore than a flock of pigeons is a murder. Now, if there's burning cross, on a lawn; now we're talking landscape urbanism.

1  · 
randomised's comment has been hidden
randomised

And now for some positive news, Trump got nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to bring peace to the Middle East. Hope it will work, his track record is better than his predecessors:

Sep 10, 20 4:57 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Again, put this shit in the politics thread.

3  · 
randomised

I did and tried, it is over there now, and it’s not shit. Being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize is quite a big deal, Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela are among past winners for instance.

· 

Your attempt at trolling is shit.

· 
randomised

I’m very bad at trolling, that’s why I’m not doing that.

· 

They you're just posting drivel to get a reaction while you pretend to practice architecture. Either way you're posting shit.

· 
randomised

Why is being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize considered drivel or shit? Short fuse much?

· 
JLC-1

sure jan

· 
JLC-1

190000 us nationals deaths is not a peaceful prize

https://www.cfr.org/timeline/t...

· 
SneakyPete

randomised, adding nothing of value to archinect since December of 2007.

1  · 
randomised

Still, the Trump presidency is responsible for less people dead than previous American presidents, only now it is mostly the Americans themselves that are victim of their own arrogance...and not some poor schmucks in whichever country America chose to invade or bomb. For world peace this current presidency is much to be preferred.

· 
SneakyPete

Dumbest take yet

· 
randomised's comment has been hidden
randomised

Maybe dumb, but true nonetheless. Haven’t seen any (unlawful) American invasions or wars since Trump became president. He is a blessing for world peace. He hates fighting wars, comes from a long line of draft evaders (apparently that’s why they fled to the US), he is a true pacifist and conscientious objector that doesn’t shy away from criticising war mongering generals and former generals or their lackeys in Washington. People say his escaping the draft shows lack of character, I think it shows the opposite!

· 
SneakyPete

It doesn't show a lack of character, it shows his true character, which is a selfish opportunist. This may have stopped him from being involved in wars up until now, but if you assume he's some sort of principled pacifist, you're wrong.

· 
randomised

Don’t know who hid that reply of mine but kudos to them for supporting presidents that start (unlawful) wars and invasions(!)

· 
SneakyPete

I'll take "drawing wrong conclusions based on a bad reading of the facts" for 1,000, Alex.

· 
randomised

[French accent]SneakyPete, zéro point[/French accent]

· 

After reading more of theses forms I've come to the concision that we're doomed as a species.  

Also I need to be asking for higher pay as at least 50% of the architects in the world are untalented idiots.  

queue rando, jay, balkins, and maybe x-jla for an entertaining response. 

Sep 10, 20 2:07 pm  · 
2  · 

nah, Balkins and jla can't post on TC anymore. Jay just doesn't know what they don't know and has quite a bit to learn. As for rando ... yeah you'll get a response, but not an entertaining one.

1  · 

Damn it.

· 
Non Sequitur

I don't know about doomed. our city just extended patio licenses to march! in an effort to help local bars/restaurant generate income as social gathering restrictions slowly improve. Just think about it: it's -20c and snowing... but I head out to my local pub patio for a pint and build myself a snow fort. Now I can order drinks from my own snow igloo on the patio?

2  · 
atelier nobody

The City has actually blocked of parts of the road to accommodate outdoor seating at restaurants, which was great until the smoke got too thick.

· 
SneakyPete

I wish that marine layer would come back, orange skies were odd but at least the air was merely bad as opposed to terrible.

· 
randomised

You’ll be glad to even have a job Chad, don’t push it! Not able to work with other people, you even pick fights here with Josh, and for sure not able to be in a client facing role, it is only a matter of time until you’re out the door again. Maybe first ask for more sick days or pto and see how that will go before you negotiate a better salary, the value you’re able to add to any office is dropping with every comment you post here. Agreed we are doomed as a species, lack of leadership and vision to even nudge the herd in the right direction, although COVID did lower our carbon emissions considerably and maybe even permanently in the (over) developed world.

· 
SneakyPete

Rando, you are uniquely unqualified to call out others on being annoyingly antagonistic for no good reason.

· 
randomised

I didn’t flash the bat signal here...I merely answered it.

· 
SneakyPete

The problem is YOU ARE NOT BATMAN.

1  · 
randomised

I was called upon, I answer...

· 
SneakyPete

ahem

3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Love the drop shadow.

2  · 
randomised

EA was totally right, my response was not meant to be entertaining.

· 
Jaetten

Think it's time to start my own design practice!

Sep 10, 20 2:53 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Wow. That's a huge step. I hope you find success.

1  · 

Good for you Jaetten!  

I've thought about doing that myself but I don't have a mind for business and suck at marketing. Also I don't think I could handle the stress of having to find clients.  You clearly have more determination than I! 

Good Luck! 

2  · 
randomised

Godspeed!

1  · 
archanonymous

may the farce be with you!

· 
Jaetten

Thanks folks. We’ll see what happpens. Hopefully up an running towards the end of year.

· 

Alright, which one of you set up an imposter account impersonating me on Twitter? Couldn’t even get my last name right. 

Kidding, but wouldn’t put it past Balkins to do so given that I’m 99% sure he called my bosses and tried to get me fired for something I said to him on here once. 

Sep 11, 20 2:31 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I just assumed your real last name was "The Merciless." My bad.

1  · 

Actually had a math teacher call me that in middle school.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I hope the teacher was using it in good fun, but even so, middle school isn't a great time to make referential jokes in front of other middle schoolers.

· 
atelier nobody

I just keep expecting you to play some bass.

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You should see my Balkin account on Grindr.

5  · 

That...is slightly terrifying, B3ta.

3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Josh, it's great, I use the discourse he leaves here, too respond to all conversations guys start with me.

· 
kjdt

Balkins told me he called the FBI on me, on the now-defunct ARE Forum, because I could find information that he apparently was unable to find, therefore I was a cybercriminal. I was kind of looking forward to them showing up - it would have added some intrigue to my reputation at work. Alas they never showed.

8  · 
randomised

just look at that downvote...

1  · 
randomised

and that downvote is gone, hahaha

Non Sequitur

I saw it.

3  · 
DTL.DWG

everyone hates balkins, but THEY know where you live. THEIR last name is interesting, to say the least.

1  · 

Ah Balkins - the poor guy. He's clearly mentally unstable and needs help. He's stalked me online as well. I'm not going to worry unless I get a weird package in the mail . . .

· 
DTL.DWG

client line of the day -

"We saw Russian_ForeName hired you.  We noticed you're young.  That's good.  The original architect - dead.  The original contractor - dead.  We need someone to be around long enough to be liable for this shit.  That's you!"

Sep 11, 20 10:09 pm  · 
1  · 

Uh . . . . thanks?

· 
DTL.DWG

if client says - they doing legal against me - should architect start drinking or wait?  No legal against architect yet...

I think I'll drink and read some Heidegger.

Sep 11, 20 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I'll just hide and drink some Heineken.

· 
DTL.DWG

Heineken goes better with Spinoza.

1  · 

Just go with whiskey. More efficient. :)

· 
wurdan freo

I prefer Heisenberg over Heidegger... and Heineken for that matter...

1  · 
DTL.DWG

Whisky only goes with Hume and Locke. Now Heisenberg, that's just straight up Hefe-Weisse and then you give-up halfway, because you're uncertain - but the wheat beer is so solid - how can you not be!

· 

So I got my new broadheads for my recurve bow setup.  Took them out to the range and shot them at my broadhead target.  

I think I need a new target.  Arrow went right through the 20" thick target.

Whoops. 

Sep 14, 20 10:24 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

New home defense set up? You can now hit more than one target if they're perfectly lined up! Less arrows spent fending off the invading hoards is better for the environment!

1  · 

I'm not going to waste a $25 broadhead and $20 arrow on an invading hoard. This is 'Murica - our ammo is way, way less expensive.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

sad thumbs up

· 

The really sad thumbs up is that I'm not really a gun guy yet I own two rifles, two shotguns, and two pistols. Oh and three recurve bows. I probably have 50-100 rounds of ammo for each firearm as well.

· 
Non Sequitur

If you mount the riffle to the bow, could you not use the scope for both the arrow and bullets? I'm sure that would look bad-ass and would totally show those turkeys who's boss. Video games have convinced me that this is a thing.

Something like this:

r/TheSimpsons - And that's how, with a few minor adjustments, you can turn a regular gun into five guns.

...but more refined because we care about small details like nylon braided rope colours and black-anodized (or better, like black zinc-plated) finishes on the structure.

2  · 

That could probably work. It's called a crossbow.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, but what, you want to be just as unoriginal as the next wanker using a stock, store-bought crossbow? How pedestrian. Side note, I'm assuming crossbows are also heavily regulated in my frozen tundra land. Recurves not so much.

edit: they are not, unless it's under 50cm or can be operated with one hand.  So, so batman grapling hooks.  

· 

The odd thing is most small crossbows are weak and not able to harm / kill anything other than close range. A typical hunting crossbow is around 190 pounds of pull force and lethal out to 120 yards.

· 
Wood Guy

Do you bow hunt or just target practice? I'm interested in bowhunting for wild turkey, plentiful around here. I have a collection of firearms as well but I don't hunt (yet) and from what I have heard, broadhead arrows are the best way to get turkeys.

· 

I bow hunt. Deer and elk. Turkey would be very challenging as those birds are so twitchy they're basically on meth. For broadheads for turkeys they make some really big ones (6" cutting circle) called a guillotine. Instead of aiming at the vitals you aim at the neck and decapitate the bird.

2  · 
square.

^never imagined bird decapitation being something i read about here

2  · 
Bench

'Murica!
(Sorry Chad I had to)

3  · 
Non Sequitur

what would happen if you used that guillotine arrow head to hunt kangaroos? Or do they load-up the cross bow with sharpened boomerangs?

· 
archanonymous

i recently watched a documentary on Central Park's birders. Really loved the quote that birdwatching is "hunting without the bloodshed."

2  · 
SneakyPete

What does that make people watching?

1  · 
Wood Guy

They are twitchy but I know several bow hunters who hunt them and told me about broadhead arrows. I have a small farm so deer and turkey stop by regularly. Their body makes a big target but birdshot ruins the meat--decapitation is simpler. Wild turkey meat is excellent, if cooked properly, and they have been reintroduced here very successfully, to the point of being pests (like deer).

· 
SneakyPete

The native turkeys out here were made extinct, and humans, never satisfied to leave their destruction unfinished, introduced non-native turkeys, which now cause problems in places where people live. Good job, humans.

· 

'Murica! 'Murica! We decapitate turkeys! Gobble gobble motherf#*ker.

2  · 
citizen

You'll need those blades and bullets to fend off all the disdain and derision.

· 
Non Sequitur

but Chad, we celebrate thanksgiving in the proper month: October.   Gobble gobble, sorry.

· 
randomised

Heifer whines could be human cries
Closer comes the screaming knife
This beautiful creature must die
This beautiful creature must die
A death for no reason
And death for no reason is murder
And the flesh you so fancifully fry
Is not succulent, tasty or kind
It's death for no reason
And death for no reason is murder
And the calf that you carve with a smile
Is murder
And the turkey you festively slice
Is murder
Do you know how animals die?
Kitchen aromas aren't very homely
It's not "comforting", cheery or kind
It's sizzling blood and the unholy stench
Of murder
It's not "natural", "normal" or kind
The flesh you so fancifully fry
The meat in your mouth
As you savor the flavor
Of murder
No, no, no, it's murder
No, no, no, it's murder
Oh...and who hears when animals cry?

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Tasty.

· 

That's the only reason I hunt - tasty animals. Hmmm, venison and elk. Nummy.

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Elk burgers are fantastic.

· 

Yup.

· 
Non Sequitur

I'd like to see the size of the arrow head that can guillotine an Elk.

· 

It's called a Suburban. Oh and it't technically a truck and not an arrowhead . . .

2  · 
square.

as long as it's not that factory-farmed industrial product...

· 
Non Sequitur

Imagine a building used to raise factory-farmed elk that you can also hunt using a suburban. This sounds like a fantastic thesis idea. Who here has a parametric elk revit family I can borrow?

· 
archanonymous

I always wondered how cows became the default factory-farm (or for that matter free-range) animal. Why not free-range bison, venison, elk, etc? I'd be much more open to ranching on public lands if the animals being ranched were indigenous to the region.

· 

Cows are the most easily domesticated, grow the fastest, and require the least amount of land to product in a factory farm.

· 
SneakyPete

They've been introduced into environments where elk used to live and their habits differ such that the environment suffers when they are let to graze. Eating less beef is a sound environmental (and personal health) decision.

1  · 
archanonymous

SP - I guess that's what I'm getting at. Why can't there be herds of deer, elk, and bison living in their natural habitats that are sustainably managed and culled for food as needed? It's a dumb rhetorical question of course, and the answer is "money" but it's still a nice thought. 

I've been a vegetarian/ pescetarian/ vegan off and on for 20 years, more on than off. I don't miss meat but I do have some very fond memories of foraging, fishing and hunting on extended backcountry trips growing up, and how amazing it all tastes in comparison to what you buy at the store.

2  · 

It's because without factory ranching there is no way the US could provide enough meat. Naturally elk, deer,cows, and even chickens need a large area to graze. There simply isn't enough space for these animals to graze and produce enough meat for the demand here in the US - hence factory farming. I'm not defending factory farming, just giving a response to your question. I personally hunt / fish wild game (deer, elk, pheasant, turkey, ect) for the majority of my meat however if everyone did this there wouldn't be any wild animals left.

· 
square.

"need" is questionable, demand more accurate. if pro athletes can forgo meat, so can the average american.

3  · 
archanonymous

Not to mention factory farming/ ranching is heavily subsidized by the government, whether directly or through the aforementioned access to public lands where their roaming meat and shit factories destroy the ecology even further. Capitalism is great - if you let it actually work. Meat costs everyone so much more than it appears and as has been pointed out, the "need" to eat it is artificial.

1  · 

I often wonder what the world we know would look like if governments didn't subsidize certain industries and if companies had to deal with the externalities of the goods and services they produce.

· 
SneakyPete

You mean the ... free market?

1  · 

Maybe for the no subsidies part, but the free market doesn't make you deal with externalities. It's a feature, not a bug if you can make someone else pay for it in the free market. 

You want to pollute? Cool, but you'll have to clean it up and restore whatever you polluted to whatever state it was in before you polluted it. If somebody gets sick from that pollution in the meantime, you're going to have to pay for their care and other consequences of being sick. 

Completely unrealistic fixing the tragedy of the commons type of thing.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I was being sarcastic. The free market folks love to ignore the role of government in picking winners and losers on the financial side but rails against the role of government in protecting the ecosystem and humans.

· 

I figured, but I'm sure the thumbs up you got understood that.

1  · 

square wrote:

""need" is questionable, demand more accurate. if pro athletes can forgo meat, so can the average american."

I assume you where responding to the post above mine as I used the work demand.  Regardless you're splitting hairs and being a bit of an insufferable douche.

I didn't take square.'s comment to be a reflection on meat consumption need vs demand, though I can see that might be what was meant by it. I thought it was in reference to Chad's statement that, "Naturally elk, deer,cows, and even chickens need a large area to graze." In other words, these animals demand a certain amount of resources. It we want to free up those resources we need to eat them less. That's probably because I was already thinking of the commons.

· 

Chad, by the way, I think your statement, "I personally hunt / fish wild game (deer, elk, pheasant, turkey, ect) for the majority of my meat however if everyone did this there wouldn't be any wild animals left," is excellent. It could be the jumping off point for a seminar on sustainability at any number of colleges with students who come from rural, more traditionally conservative areas.

· 
randomised

Nobody needs to eat meat in the developed world in this day and age...talking about sustainability when killing animals just because they taste nice. I don’t get it. All those meatlovin’ hunters should hunt each other, now that would be sustainable ;-)

2  · 
...tumbleweed...

Hi everyone...

· 
square.

chad, must be a sensitive subject. your reaction is common though, and it's why i'm skeptical people will change their eating habits in time to help reduce the massive amounts of carbon emission the current unsustainable demand for meat creates (also, historically humans did not consume much meat, and my point about athletes isn't splitting hairs, it's that humans in the 21st century can easily live off an entirely plant based diet, which would be infinitely better for the planet).

to be fair, i was trying to credit your willingness to go get it yourself as more sustainable in one way, because most soft modern people who expect everything to be given to them are not willing to do that and would probably forgo meat altogether rather than having to decapitate their own turkeys.

1  · 
Wood Guy

EA, I'm with you regarding the free market.

I agree that meat is not a necessity, and don't eat a lot of it. Much of what I do eat I raise myself with relatively sustainable means, or friends and family do. Knowing my meat is challenging at slaughter time but feeling uncomfortable about taking a life is a good balance to the pleasure (and nutrients) of eating meat. 

When wild animals like turkey and deer don't have wild predators, they become nuisances and suffer in our long, cold winters. Decapitating a wild animal with an arrow is about the most humane way that any animal dies, and they get to live a free life instead of suffering in a CAFO. 

I am cultivating an interest in growing and hunting mushrooms, to further reduce my desire for meat, and to reduce my carbon footprint. 

· 
Non Sequitur

Can you hunt for mushrooms using a guillotine arrows?

2  · 

The reason this hit a nerve with me is that your comment ignores a few things.

· 

It's not really a sensitive subject for me - I'm all for vegetarian protein sources. There are a few issues that people tend to gloss over though . . . 

1. Around 35% - 45% of world population is 100% vegetarian. 

2. Nearly no plant based protein is complete and requires multiple different sources to make it complete for human use. Nothing wrong with that. 

3. The current production of plant based protein required to feed the world complete protein sources would not be able to meet the need of the world population if everyone became vegetarian. There would need to be a huge increase in production and this would mean more factor farming and resource usage. While a plant based diet uses less resources than a meat based diet the actual reduction in resources used would only be about 15% compared to meat production. Sadly a 15% reduction in resources doesn't translate to a reduced environmental impacts. The environmental impacts of going to a 100% plant based diet for the world using factory farms is only reduced 5% compared to meat production. This is a problem that need to be addressed and is my biggest concern. 

4. Veg diet is high in carbohydrates. Not an issue for some people but if you're like me and am a type 1 diabetic it's nearly impossible to get enough protein without consuming over 300 grams of carb a day. Not something most people need to worry about but some of us do. 

Like I said before, I'm not against a vegetarian diet. It's just that there are still issue we need to figure out and it bugs me when people overlook these issues.

Non Sequitur wrote: 

"Can you hunt for mushrooms using a guillotine arrows?"

Better be a humongous fungus else you're not going to have much left to eat.  Maybe better to hunt with a piggy . . .

1  · 
SneakyPete

That would need to be one huge bow.

1  · 
Wood Guy

I don't do much mushroom hunting but do take a big knife and a folding saw when looking for Reishi, which is easy to identify and a good medicinal. On rare occasions I've found chaga, an amazing medicinal fungus. (Not in a fun way, but in an anti-cancer way.)

The spot I have scoped out for a future mushroom yard (for growing shiitake and oyster mushrooms) is also where deer and turkey like to hang out. So maybe guillotine arrows for defense, instead of offense. 

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, how do you hold down the pig long-enough to fit it in the bow and fire?

3  · 
archanonymous

I'm happy to see Chad seamlessly taking Rick's place in TC as spouter of bullshit they know nothing about.

2  · 
square.

yes.. that point #3 is highly suspect, considering it takes about 1,800 gallons of water to produce 1lb of beef,including the plants required to feed it.. (here's s source for my data, by the way: https://foodprint.org/reports/the-foodprint-of-beef/?bid=7858#easy-footnote-bottom-20-1580)

3  · 
square.

i only bring this up because many architects i know aspire to be sustainable/whatever you want to call it with buildings while chowing down on burgers and meat for multiple meals a day. most of you here seem to limit your consumption though, which is great.

1  · 

JLC-1 - I get what you're saying however your link is about food waste and isn't disproving that resources and environmental impact won't be reduced to to the point that environmental damage won't be done by the world going to a plant based or vegetarian diet.

· 

To the rest of you - I don't disagree with you however there is one major fact that your sources aren't mentioning and that is they are all assuming two important factors: 

1.  That anything grown won't be done using factory farming on an industrial scale.  When factory farming is used there is still a large amount of resources used and pollution created to the point that climate disaster would still be in our future because of this. 

2.  That food waste would be reduced substantially. 

Again, I'm not against eating vegetarian or plant based diets.  Probably 50% my protein consumption is from those sources.  

· 
square.

assuming one is replacing the other, it's completely irrational to think that factory farming vegetables is worse for the environment than factory farming animals. guess what those animals eat?

· 
square.

honestly chad this idea is a new one to me- i've never heard anyone argue that plant-based diets are worse for the environment, but i shouldn't be surprised considering the number of climate deniers out there. learn something new everyday!

· 

I apologize if that's how my comments read. That is not what I meant to convey. Meat production is the absolute worst for the environment, especially when done in factory farms. What I am saying is that the world going to a vegetarian or plant based diet will still cause a great deal of environmental damage when done with factory farming practices. Realistically factory farming would still be required to feed the worlds population even if we all went to a vegetarian or plant based diet. The amount of environmental damage would be the least in a plant based diet however it is still enough to cause global warming but at a much reduced rate compared to the race to the end we're on now.

1  · 

Non Sequitur wrote:

"Chad, how do you hold down the pig long-enough to fit it in the bow and fire?"

Specialty trained pigs.  Also CBD oil.  A lot of CBD oil.  

1  · 

archanonymous wrote: 

"I'm happy to see Chad seamlessly taking Rick's place in TC as spouter of bullshit they know nothing about."

I could very well be wrong.  Please provide data that factory farming for a vegetarian or plant based diet for the worlds population won't produce negative impacts on the environment and cause detrimental climate change?

Again, I'm not against a vegetarian or plant based diet - it's just that the data I've consumed says it's a cure all for the environmental impacts and resource depletion of factory farming to fee the world. 

1  · 

To be fair, I don't think Chad is arguing that square., rather he's arguing that it isn't all that much better and there will still be issues to deal with. Edit: I can see that Chad beat me to the punch.

Plus, I thought I'd throw this out there to stir the pot a little. The following is from the wikipedia page for The Omnivore's Dilemma under the heading "On veganism": 

"Pollan argues that to 'give up' human consumption of animals would lead to a 'food chain…even more dependent than it already is on fossil fuels and chemical fertilizers since food would need to travel even farther and fertility—in the form of manures—would be in short supply'. Given that, according to Pollan, other than raising ruminants for human consumption, no viable alternatives exist in such grassy areas, for growing any grains or other plant foods for human consumption."

· 

Of course, he has also written (emphasis mine): 

"Meat eating may have become an act riddled with moral and ethical ambiguities, but eating a steak at the end of a short, primordial food chain comprising nothing more than ruminants and grass and sunlight is something I’m happy to do and defend. The same is true for a pastured chicken or hog. When obtained from small farms where these animals are treated well, fed an appropriate diet, and generally allowed to express their creaturely character, I think the benefits of eating such meat outweigh the cost. A truly sustainable agriculture will involve animals, in order to complete the nutrient cycle, and those animals are going to be killed and eaten.

"That said, I have the ultimate respect for vegetarians and vegans. For they have actually done the work of thinking through the consequences of their eating decisions, something most of the rest of us have not done. My own examination of those consequences has led me to the conclusion that eating a small amount of meat from certain kinds of farms is something I can feel good about. But we all have to decide this question for ourselves, and different people will come to different conclusions, depending on their values."

3  · 

What EA said . . .

2  · 
square.

yes, i understand your last post more clearly, that even if we switch it's important to think about how the farming is done, which is why organic and non-gmo farming is so important, etc.

· 
randomised

Factory farming is not necessarily that bad and actually more efficient, to the point that it is better for the environment or the planet than other ways of farming! You will need to allocate much less land, energy and resources to feed a certain amount of people. Now, when you feed plants to those people directly rather than first giving those plants to animals in other factory farms to turn those plants into meat, that is even more efficient! That land not being used for growing crops for animals can be used for other things, cutting out the middle man(animals), that land can be turned back into nature, capturing carbon in the trees etc.

· 

Factory farming is by it's very nature a bad thing when it comes to environmental damage and resource depletion. It's about the vast amount of resources needed over a short period of time for production, transportation of these resources, waste produced and transported, and distribution of the final product over a wide area that cause the most environmental damage and resource depletion. 

Organic and non GMO food still uses factory farming techniques and unless they are produced using environmentally friendly processes, in smaller quantities using only local ingredients and distributed locally can cause a great amount environmental damage.

Organic and non GMO food do not have to do any of the above things to gain the aforementioned labels.  Just because a thing is organic and non GMO doesn't mean it's environmentally friendly.

· 
square.

got it, but what's your battle here? if you're so concerned about the impacts of farming and diet on climate, you wouldn't be eating meat. even the "good stuff," pasture/grass raised, is in many ways worse for the environment because it's much more land and resource intensive. factory farming animals is way more efficient. i guess i find it a strange hill to die on, going after organic farming and non gmo food.

sure, solar panels have resource considerations in terms of their production, but we still should put our attention to ending the use of fossil fuels before deriding a better system.

· 
Non Sequitur

non-organic and GMO is not necessarily a bad thing either. Lots of undeserved hype with labels on both sides of the fence here.

1  · 
Wood Guy

The problem with factory farming of all types is that it's an extractive industry, run like any factory, dependent on inputs to keep the cycle going. True organic agriculture (not USDA organic), sometimes called beyond-organic, feeds and builds the soil. There is a minor health benefit from reduced pesticides and higher nutrient levels, and usually better taste as well, but the real idea is to feed the soil. No industrial farming feeds the soil; it treats the soil as a medium to hold the plants upright. Randomized, growing feed corn and soy is not the same as growing marketable vegetables. More resources of all types are needed to grow vegetables.

2  · 

square. got it, but what's your battle here? if you're so concerned about the impacts of farming and diet on climate, you wouldn't be eating meat. even the "good stuff," pasture/grass raised, is in many ways worse for the environment because it's much more land and resource intensive. factory farming animals is way more efficient. i guess i find it a strange hill to die on, going after organic farming and non gmo food.

· 

square. wrote

‘got it, but what's your battle here?’ 

Correct information. Simple as that.

‘ if you're so concerned about the impacts of farming and diet on climate, you wouldn't be eating meat. even the "good stuff," pasture/grass raised, is in many ways worse for the environment because it's much more land and resource intensive. 

‘ You’re right. That’s why I hunt to provide myself meat that’s not from a factory farm 

‘factory farming animals is way more efficient.’ 

Yes, however it still causes a great amount of environmental damage and resource depletion. All the feed needs to be grown and shipped in from somewhere to feed all that livestock and it’s not coming from a field across the road from the ranch. 

‘i guess i find it a strange hill to die on, going after organic farming and non gmo food.’

I disagree. Again, its about correct information. Just because a food is organic and non gmo doesn’t mean it’s not causing environmental damage and resource depletion. Any factory farmed food has a large negative impact on the environment and resource depletion. Take organic and non gmo foods – they are allowed to chemically engineered pesticides that have known health and environmental damages.

1  · 
square.

you're telling me 100% of the meat you eat is meat you hunt? nothing bought on a free-range farm? if so, much of my point is moot for you personally. but on a large scale this isn't sustainable for everyone to do, which circles back to my other points.. also to be clear, i'm not advocating for factory farming. just pointing out that's it's much more efficient in some ways (not always a good thing)

· 
square.

i hope you're growing all your own non-gmo, organic, pesticide-free non-commercial-soil vegetables too...

· 
randomised

Guess my understanding of factory farming isn’t what it is...

· 

square - I never said that I get all my meat from hunting. I get about 200 pounds of meat a year from hunting though. I just prefer it that way. My point is that organic and non gmo food doesn't mean it's good / better for you or the planet when they come from most factory farms.

You seem to have swung wildly around on this topic.  You started off criticizing my comment that eating a vegetarian or plant based diet isn't necessarily as good for the environment as people think it is.  Now you're defending factory farming and pissed that I dare say anything bad about organic and non gmo foods.

2  · 
SneakyPete

I think you guys agree on more than that which you disagree.

3  · 
square.

i agree sneaky. chad, i'm mostly responding to your lengthy point by point rebuttals to each one of my posts. i tried to end this by agreeing earlier.. i'm not swinging wildly, i clearly said that i'm not a proponent of factory farming (please read above, you forgot to quote those parts!) but that in some cases it's ironically more efficient than free-range in terms of land use when it comes to animals. was very clear on that.

i guess i'm trying to reconcile your animosity towards plant based farming over animal farming, which the solar analogy was about; in my mind animal production is responsible for far more carbon emission than plant-based farming, so it's a bigger problem to address.

· 
square.

this should have ended here- i think i was confused with rando for promoting factory farming.

i hate the internet..

1  · 

It's ok square. It can be difficult in a form like this to keep track of things.

2  · 
...tumbleweed...

...I’m not dead either;-). And boy golly, do I have something to say about killing things!! Hell yes.  Do most of you eat meat? I do.  And I kill it when I can.  Ask me why? Ps: missed you all!!

Sep 16, 20 3:34 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

You still making Goat Cheese?

· 
...tumbleweed...

LB, I’m out of the loop, but what do you think would be the best situation for your son?  (Mine is only entering school, so we are doing homeschool).

Sep 16, 20 3:46 am  · 
 · 
...tumbleweed...

...I came here to see how the politics got nuts! Ha. Shoot me. 

Sep 16, 20 3:50 am  · 
4  · 

This got a bit out of hand with hunting, didn’t it?

Here’s something better - several pant sizes and a shirt size down since surgery. 

Sep 16, 20 10:12 pm  · 
13  · 
citizen

That's great, Josh. How are you feeling, energy-wise, etc?

· 
DTL.DWG

-20 lbs so far...heart issues on my end, good as long as I only pretty much eat meat! Did you know when you WFH, you won't even get to a mile in a day stepwise.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Change the clothes, keep the belt. Put new notches in it.

3  · 

Ratchet belt - no holes, cut off the end as needed. As far as energy goes, definitely get a bit fatigued in the afternoons which will probably stick around for a few more weeks.

1  · 
citizen

Do not cut off the belt end! That's the living trophy you carry around with you.

4  · 
Non Sequitur

Cheers Josh.

2  · 

Way to go Josh! As others have said keep the larger belts, wear them as bandoleers to hold AD markers in the future when you loose more weight! You got this!

· 

On a side note I don't think it was about hunting but something to do with vegetarianism and plant based diets. ;) 

· 
tduds

"Did you know when you WFH, you won't even get to a mile in a day stepwise." You do if you have a puppy. 

Also, great progress Josh! Happy to see you're doing well and also posting here again.

1  · 
archanonymous

wait, hold up. You are still wearing pants these days?

2  · 

If I worked from home I wouldn't wear pants.

· 
citizen

I say 'yes' belt, 'no' pants. Problem solved.

2  · 

I am not wearing pants at home, just workout shorts. However my first week back in the office is next week (we’re doing half one week, half the next)

· 

So yes to a belt but no pants for the in office stuff next week?

· 

I’m wearing jorts to the office.

1  · 

With a belt?

· 
Non Sequitur

I wore red pants to the office yesterday

· 

You're Canadian though - you wear and do all types of weird stuff.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

I... yes, I certainly do.

1  · 

I did buy some orange chinos because they were on clearance and will only fit for a few weeks so why the hell not?

2  · 
archanonymous

you could make orange your new color... isn't there an industrial designer who dresses only in orange?

· 
citizen

I just bought some orange cheetos, and if you're not careful that orange becomes your new color whether you like it or not.

· 

Red, if you go flaming hot.

1  · 
tduds

I love orange pants. Have a few, but been switching to more ochre / yellow lately. My wife hates orange. Funny since we're both redheads.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd strongly recommend buying cheap white jeans (usually on sale at the end of the season to the tune of 5 bucks since dudes don't buy white pants all that frequently) and dyeing them yourself with whatever color you want. I have a spectrum of pants.

2  · 
tduds

Spectrum of Pants would be a good album name

5  · 

I’m glad Balkins can’t post in TC, he would have ruined this with a history of pants.

7  · 
archanonymous

SP - do your legs end up being colorful the day after you wear them?

· 
tintt

Painters pants are white. My husband wears them a lot. :)

· 
SneakyPete

No, and they haven't faded or stained my other laundry either. Rit sells a dye set that works really well.

· 
archanonymous

i used to dye my skateboard wheels with Rit, love the stuff!

1  · 

"Why don't you go and put your trousers on?" 

"Alright, hold your horses. Head! Pants! Now!"

3  · 
citizen

Don't you just love that information superhighway thingy?

Khaki Pants, Khakis & Chinos: A Classic Style Staple — Gentleman's Gazette
5  · 

Photoshop that into a circle with the feet toward the center and you've got the "Spectrum of Pants" album label for the vinyl and CD.

1  · 
randomised

All I notice now are the boring white and blue shirts.

· 

Josh Mings wrote: 

"I’m glad Balkins can’t post in TC, he would have ruined this with a history of pants."

You sir win the internet for the rest of the week. 

::bows in appreciation::

4  · 

Stupid pants are smaller than the same size pants I had in my closet. Gotta wait a few weeks to wear orange pants (or go with a muffin top....I choose the former)

2  · 

Hunting, decapitating turkeys, industrial agriculture, vegetarianism and veganism and their environmental effects one day ... then belts, pants, weight loss, dyeing clothing yourself the next day. 

Common throughout, Simpsons memes. 

Don't ever change TC. Don't. Ever. Change.

Sep 17, 20 5:25 pm  · 
11  · 

I think we may have exhausted our 'weird' topics for a while. Give me a few weeks and I'm sure something interesting will happen that I can post about and bring another whirlwind of interesting if not disjointed discussion. Also more Simpson memes.

1  · 
Wood Guy

I have an unlimited supply of weird topics, I just don't want to freak you all out.

4  · 

Freak away . . .

2  · 
SneakyPete

2020 just got worse.

Sep 18, 20 7:47 pm  · 
1  ·  4
curtkram

i can't even, and i don't know how to move forward anymore

1  ·  1
tduds

I saw the sun for the first time in 10 days. I was happy for 20 minutes.

2  · 
tduds

Hearty chuckle at thumbs-downing your own post.

2  · 
tduds

My wife put on Tom Waits' "Bawlers" as soon as she got the news. So that's how we're doing.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I hope you and your wife are safe, tduds.

1  · 

I got put in Twitter jail for telling Mitch to go jump off a cliff. That’s a Midwest colloquialism for GTFO

6  · 
DTL.DWG

don't be such cowards.

tduds

Thanks Pete - we're good, in the grand scheme of things. The smoke has finally cleared the valley (thanks to some spectacular overnight thunderstorms that woke us up at 3am) and at least that catastrophe is behind us.

1  · 
tduds

We almost never get lightning in the PNW, and our house has a fantastic view to the north from a hilltop. So it was a rare treat to lay awake in bed with the curtains open and watch the storm roll through. Cathartic, in a way, even if I was exhausted this morning.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I miss thunderstorms so much, one of my favorite phenomena.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

I got this last night, before I found out;

https://surlybrewing.com/beer/...

4  · 
SneakyPete

Chug it. You might feel better, you might puke.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Split up over two nights.

1  · 
DTL.DWG

wise man...but when you puke the demons are released...are you blasting Witch House when drinking that?

· 
bowling_ball

Buncha lightweights in here

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Whatcha talking?

· 
bowling_ball

Wife is out of town so today's been weed / weed / weed / 2 pints of 7.5% IPA / weed / 2 glasses of wine / probably more weed before bed.... I walked 5 miles and got tons of non-work work done around the house today. Work hard AND play hard.

2  · 
randomised

only when the wife is out of town?

1  · 
bowling_ball

randomised - no, not really. But a solo weekend is good from time to time

1  · 
tduds

Love a good bachelor weekend - eat trash food and listen to all the music my wife hates. I'm so simple.

4  · 
Jaetten

So, after a 2hr hike this morning, go up the single track 50mph road home and lords behold, a hgv REVERSING onto another 50mph road via a blind junction and no banksman. 

Sep 20, 20 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've never driven a tractor trailer truck, but have spent a fair amount of time towing a construction trailer. It SUCKS to get stuck in a position where your only option is to back out into traffic. No truck driver does it on purpose--only when they don't know the area, GPS or other directions have taken them astray. When I see a driver in that position I know they don't want to be there and will often stop and put my flashers on to warn other drivers.

· 
Jaetten

He was following sat nav, it tried to take him down narrow winding roads. I backed up into a passing place, but he go out and shouted for me to pass him, just enough space to do it. I presume he didn't want to risk a collision. Once you get to the top of the hill, there's a no entry for 7.5t+ sign, but you have to go all the way up to see the sign. He did get out fine. Hopefully the junction will be getting a no hgv sign and a mirror for emerging traffic. We'll see!

1  · 
Jaetten

Meant to be above!

Sep 21, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

this is cool https://how-old-is-this.house/...

Sep 21, 20 11:31 am  · 
4  · 
tduds

That is cool! I'd love to see one for US cities.

1  · 
DTL.DWG

would be easy with NYC's data, its noted but not a graphic yet as far as I know.

1  · 
randomised

I’ve had to map it myself for NYC couple of years ago, merge the data spreadsheet with a GIS map, pretty fun stuff to play with though.

· 
mightyaa

That is pretty cool. I know a lot of jurisdictions actually do have all the historic information. Once upon a time, I chaired the local Historic Board (south metro Denver) and part of our job was to conduct historic surveys (hire researchers to document every address in a set area). So we had original construction, architect/builder if known, and modifications as well as entire legal descriptions and historic covenants/easements and photographs on record (historic and current). It's available to the public through the local library and Historic Board liaison office. When I was in office, we had everything around our downtown and older (pre-1900's) neighborhoods. Basically, it was in part to assist us in the public education and trying to get historic designations.

2  · 
bklyntotfc

Someone already did this for NYC based on open source data: http://bdon.org/building-age-nyc/. I'm waiting for them to link all of the old tax photos of buildings w/in a map, so you can just click on a property and see photos from the '40's and '80's.

· 
JLC-1

looks great, but it doesn't seem to be working at all

· 
JLC-1

my bad, you said it wasn't linked, I thought you could see the actual age by clicking

· 
axonapoplectic

These stupid day long video conferences and people wonder why no one is getting anything done. Plus if you schedule a meeting anytime between 11 and 1 I’m going to be eating potato chips the whole time with my mic on and my camera off.

I have come to really appreciate people who do 30 minute video conferences with a hard stop. 

Sep 22, 20 12:11 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

I am a zoomthauritarian. Start exactly on time, no recaps for all the late fuckers, and call it "done" as soon as we stop discussing relevant items. I try to do 30 minutes but then the consultants moan it isn't enough time so I usually just schedule an hour then cut it off at 30.

· 

I’d love to do this with municipalities. I have another probably 2-3 hour long zoom meeting with one tonight.

· 

Y’all, the first day back in the office was a huge self esteem boost, both personally (lots of Holy shit you look great) and professionally (you’re really kicking ass lately and we’re hearing lots of praise).

Sep 22, 20 8:21 am  · 
11  · 
Non Sequitur

You should add "kicking-ass" to your business card.

1  · 
atelier nobody

...and taking names.

· 

Phase 1 : Kick ass

· 

Phase 2: Take names

· 

Phase 3: PROFFIT!

· 
SneakyPete

Phase 4: Prophet?

· 

Yes but only after you make money.

· 

And work with dictators.

1  · 
Wood Guy

Huzzah!

· 
Bench

Knocked off one more ARE. Celebrated with some choice local craft beers. All this quarantine has been good for providing plenty of study time, so silver linings everywhere i guess? Work with what ya got.

Sep 23, 20 9:09 am  · 
6  · 
tintt

Congrats. What is this free time thing you speak of? No kids, huh.

· 
Bench

Accurate!

· 
shellarchitect

Congrats! Enjoy that free time!

· 
Non Sequitur

Fun stuff. Cheers

1  · 

Guys, over the last two weeks I've moved (downsized) from one beloved house to a new one, my work deadlines are off the charts, the fuckery of this country's political situation seriously makes me worried that a civil war is imminent, and likely deserved, I am under severe stress. But I'm checking in here today because:

It's abracadabra's birthday! The FOUNDER of TC completes another year around the sun, may we all be so lucky!

Orhan, you are the GOAT.

Sep 23, 20 10:51 am  · 
7  · 
tintt

I just pulled my kid from public school / zoom school this morning. No more of that shitshow!

Sep 23, 20 11:34 am  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

What happened?

· 
tintt

Zoom school happened.

· 

My wife teaches HS, and my kiddo started online preschool for an hour a day so we've reenacted this cartoon IRL. My kiddo is the second from the left, on the top row. My wife's class is mostly black rectangles though as no one turns on their camera.

(Cartoon Source)

1  · 
Non Sequitur

inappropriately walked in front of the webcam again I gather?

· 
tintt

My kid is second from the left top row too (2nd grade). But her camera is usually off. I got zoom lectured by the teacher yesterday for not making sure my kid was doing all the busy work. Then I overheard the teacher showing her tats to the kids.

· 
DTL.DWG

apparently some schools around here require the teachers to drive into the classroom and teach from there, since many just slacked off last semester. my 12 year is now actually occupied for school day hours, last semester, was done within 2 hours everyday...

· 
Bench

Can't help but notice that my intake of Rage Against the Machine has increased exponentially over the last few months; my pessimism seems to track with the current ongoing political climate in America.

Sep 23, 20 3:31 pm  · 
2  · 
randomised

To curb the intake of RATM, can I advise some Urban Dance Squad?

· 

Joe Cocker. Mellow enough to keep you happy with enough soul to keep you intersted.

· 

Earth, Wind & Fire. As in the leadup to the 2008 election, and even moreso now, I find soul music by Black Americans to be the most soothing and hopeful for me.

· 
SneakyPete

I think you'd like this set, Donna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGqg_ZzThDU

· 
archanonymous

I think Bad Brains is the degree of separation between classic Soul Music and RATM.

· 
archanonymous

Its crazy how relevant and current this still is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5ZbMMZ6Hk

· 
DTL.DWG

/\ I'm learning nothing has changed since the mid 90's cultulrally in our world...20 hour day so far and still going...

· 
randomised

4hrs to go!

· 
DTL.DWG

yes, just did the 4hrs of sleep, based on my fit bit, I always hit 4 hours deep sleep and then the rest is light. I've always felt this way and accordingly have found all you really need is 4 hours of sleep. call it irony or just flat out denial and stupidity on my behalf, but the very philosophy I'm into lately (marc fisher, looks like this one was in a Dutchland hall (I understood 60% of intro)link) - TIME.

1  · 
Wood Guy

Over the last few years I get 4-5 hours of sleep more than half the time, and 7+ hours once a week at best. It's survivable but takes a toll. In the last ten years I've gone from looking ten years under my age to ten years over. Even light sleep is restful. I think the brain may only need a few hours to sort experiences into memory, but the body needs more time to recharge.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

5hrs max, hard cap, per night, every day for me. maybe stretched to 6hr if I had a few Belgian triples the night before.

1  · 
DTL.DWG

Wood Guy I think it's the opposite for me, in 4 hours of deep sleep the body is 100% and unless my brain feels warm (sometimes) its the light sleep in and out of dreams which does a good reset....NS get more sleep bruh or Belgian!

1  · 
Non Sequitur

I did go out to the liquor store to score a few Belgians today...

1  · 
DTL.DWG

neuce....twas my birthday week, someone got me a mini-keg! and my 70+ year old booklets of older docs on Jamestown history from like 350 years ago came in, smells musty, how did they build back then...I'm a total looser, drinking and cad'ing Colonial time wall sections!

4  · 
Wood Guy

My birthday was last week, wife got me/us a wine club subscription--we're learning to be wine snobs!

3  · 
citizen

I'm glad to hear others' sleep habits, and relieved that I'm not the only one running short.  

And HB, Wood Guy and D.D

· 

I'm sorry, citizen, you know I like you but I find this hilarious. I did not hide your comment, but this is what I see when I look at the blog post.

Sep 25, 20 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

LOL, Donna. I know you wouldn't do this-- and it is funny, you're right. And kind of sad. I never though I was prescient, but maybe I should look into this ability.

I posted to see if the apparently-very-brittle Mitch McEwen would exercise all that intellect in customary fashion. And she did not disappoint, unless you appreciate things like tolerance.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Citizen, that's awfully presumptive isn't it? What makes you think that bloggers have control over their blog posts? They don't. Not yet.

· 
SneakyPete

You posted that comment and when it got deleted you use it to make a sweeping statement about the blog author? That's a troll with no substance.

· 
citizen

That's totally fair, I'll concede. I was presuming that Mitch McEwen deleted the comment in question (and a raft of others), which I don't know to be true. I based the assumption on comparative rarity of comment deletion around here, and the uproar over the practice at another particular thread. 

If I'm wrong about that, I apologize to Mitch.

1  · 
SneakyPete

There seems to have been an increase in the deletion of comments that have no purpose other than to be inflammatory in Blogs and News articles.

· 

Just here to confirm that bloggers have no moderating ability for the comments on their posts. The bloggers probably have a lot of pull in asking for comments to be moderated (I haven't tested this theory), but we can't do it ourselves.

· 
SneakyPete

That seems like it would disincentivise people from blogging here. Why put your ideas out there if someone can spam troll you, even if only for a few minutes before you can contact a moderator?

· 

Cause the audience you get here is bigger and easier to access than you would likely get on your own without a fair bit of self-promotion

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

As I understand, it's being planned, but fires in socal.

2  · 
DTL.DWG

/\ good. freedom of deletion! every blogger shall have this right.

sometimes, making a point requires not allowing others to make a point, etc...

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

^ sometimes, making a point, is not caring if others have a point to make.

1  · 
DTL.DWG

you say something?

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hmmmm, could've sworn I heard something...;)

· 
DTL.DWG

que? (hide this), hahaha. that is the pathetic trait of milllenials or Z's or whatever. the inability to take on challenging thought or disagreement in words without getting emotional...

1  · 

DTL, it's one thing to take on challenging thought. It's another to spend time and and energy trying, for example, to figure out how many people can safely COVID-distance on a flat earth before someone falls off the edge. There's no benefit to arguing with someone whose "facts" aren't facts.

3  · 
DTL.DWG

lmao, good one, well written. totally get that angle.

· 
randomised

“apparently-very-brittle” etc. “tolerance” that actually says much more about the moderators than the authors, it’s the mods that apparently don’t allow certain comments when there is a non-white person involved. There is, in my experience, some kind of subconscious bias in that sense, being overprotective of non-whites, which is kind of degrading, people can stand up for themselves, but smothering discussions before they are even about to happen won’t allow that standing up, which are missed opportunities as even the topic or thread whatever would benefit from such on-topic discussions, in my opinion (obviously).

· 
citizen

Very helpful to know that bloggers don't apparently do the silencing. (Again, my apologies to Mitch McEwen.) 

I wonder if the selective comment deletion isn't just good, old-fashioned hospitality. They manage to snag an Ivy-affiliated blogger to post occasionally; they keep comments open, with fingers crossed for praise and agreement; then axe other comments to avoid discomfort that might scare off the author from any future posting.

It's the same principle as shutting the dog into a closed bedroom when fancy company comes over. And while annoying, certainly within bounds for a private organization. Just a theory...

1  · 
DTL.DWG

citizen, I'm actually not sure why Mitch isn't at editor status. The blogs are more for students and for half-baked ideas by people like myself. I believe you've been on archinect as long as I have and you'll notice over the years it's always had this "progressive political" approach to architecture, usually failing and anyone having any success at it becomes a blogger or writer, not a bad thing, but I think this constant demand for a "progressive political" agenda is silly sometimes. also, why are the threads like this or politics central far more active than any other architecture thread (except guess the plan). its literally the same half dozen people that frequent the 'nect argueing amonst each other about essentially - bull shit....your last paragraph is correct. some of us regulars "embarass" the other regulars. some are even banned from thread central.

· 
citizen

I consider my ideas at least two-thirds baked. Maybe even three-quarters.

· 
randomised

I prefer my ideas medium-rare...

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

#notallmodsarethesame

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

#websiteeditorsaremodsonsteroids

· 
randomised

That explains the ‘roid rage ;-)

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: