Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Jaetten

As I believe I may have posted before, I am looking to set up shop on my own. 

Are threads querying software choices/cost and licencing options etc permitted?

If not, never mind. 

If so, I'll post a new thread with my questions!

Dec 9, 20 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Yeah, but it has been covered many times so maybe read the old threads first then come with informed questions.

2  · 

Translation - AA has no idea.

· 
Jaetten

Ta :)

· 
Non Sequitur

I am now licensed in the province of Quebec. I have no plans to ever practice there but it looks good on corporate CV and helps with Proposals.  Coincidence of birth (or French as first language) has no end of perks up here. Sorry. 

Dec 9, 20 2:55 pm  · 
7  · 
citizen

Tres bien!

· 
randomised

Love the “sorry” at the end, clearly you are not French.

· 

... but very Canadian.

1  · 
citizen

"Canadians. Just like the French, but nice.  Polite, too."

· 
Non Sequitur

French-Canadian =\= French. There is a big difference, calisse.

2  · 

Could be worse NS. You could be Scottish / Canadian.

1  · 
Jaetten

What' s wrong with the Scots?

· 

Nothing. As long as you're not also Canadian.

· 
Almosthip

Merde! je ne parle pas français

· 
Jaetten

What about Welsh Chad?

· 
Bench

Chad you might want to avoid literally the entire Maritime region in Canada, for future reference...

· 

Meh. Been there. Nice place. A lot of plaid on the weekends though . . . . I'm cool with it though as that area brought us The Real McKenzies.

Real McKenzies, Real Sickies - POSTPONED - March 21, 2020

· 
liberty bell

This office holiday treat is in a bag closed with a twist tie. The twist tie is tied in a knot. Hashtag Unclear on the concept 

Dec 9, 20 3:19 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

# Start Packing Up Your Things? 

Kidding!  That is an odd one, though.  Some folks can't tie a bow, perhaps?

1  · 
proto

is it cannabis infused?

1  · 
Wood Guy

How many times did you try untwisting it one way, then the other, before you realized it was tied? ;-)

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Why does it look like a dinosaur caught in a snowball?

· 
archi_dude

Is that your holiday bonus?

· 

It is a baby dinosaur caught in a snowball. When it unthaws the baby dinosaur will awaken and start to grow at a geometric rate.

A fully grown dinosaur is a damn nice holiday bonus.

2  · 
SneakyPete

damn, dude, your glass is even half-emptier than MINE. Be of good cheer!

· 

Uhg.  

::start whining::

I want to get out of the office and do some work on my house.  The last three months all I've been doing is CA and MOB interior TI's.  My creative mind is slowly dying from a lack of use.  

::end whining::

Dec 10, 20 2:38 pm  · 
6  · 
Jaetten

We put a Eucalyptus 'shrub' as we were sold, in our garden. April this year it was 8" tall, as of today, it is 8'...

Hardly a shrub!

Dec 11, 20 6:04 am  · 
 · 

That is one hell of a shrub. Has it started talking yet? Be carful if it starts saying 'feed me'.

· 

Jaetten, post a pic!

· 
Jaetten

Haha, if it starts talking, I'd become very rich! Will get a pic tomorrow when we have daylight :)

· 
Jaetten

Y

· 
Jaetten

Can’t find an option to upload an image in reply. :(

Found, it, have to use desktop site, not mobile!

Fence is 6'

· 
Jaetten

Need a bit of weeding haha

· 

It looks awesome! I love eucalyptus. I made their seed pods into earring s as a kid. They do suck up too much water to be appropriate in Arizona, though.

1  · 
Jaetten

Thank you, they’re lovely trees. We get so much water buildup over winter. I just wish it was a bit slower growing haha. Might get another two though, our neighbours windows see straight into our garden.

· 

Now that's a shrub!

1  · 
SneakyPete

Ask anyone in Australia, they ain't shrubs. :)

1  · 
Jaetten

To be fair, we got it from a ‘bargain’ store. These and sequoia are my favourite non-native tree. I’d happily plant them everywhere haha.

· 

I keep opening that drawing precision thread hoping for some juicy content, but I can't be bothered to care about that kind of thing anymore. Let me know when it has completely devolved into a raging dumpster inferno. 

Dec 11, 20 12:22 pm  · 
6  · 

I think APS is trying to light something on fire . . .

· 
Non Sequitur

I tried to light a match, but it's a well beaten horse.

· 
square.

the small things architects fetishize..

3  · 
Non Sequitur

hold my coffee, I've got to change pens 7 and 9 to match the Pantone of the year colours.

4  · 

He's so far out of his element when it comes to commenting on the software and drawing production side of things. 

For some perspective, I know I'm out of my element on those things and I was doing that work for about half a year past his point of retirement. It wasn't that I'm not good at that work, I was probably too good compared to my colleagues and realized I didn't want to be stuck drawing all the time so I made a career shift. 

Anyway, shortly before he retired I wrote this blog post (Want to be an Architect?; Don't Learn Revit) which has gotten some flack for not understanding the direction of the industry. I think that criticism is a misunderstanding of my intent with the post, but a valid concern anyway. I should have written more clearly.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

I'm in charge of teaching/training/whiping revit to the staff in my office but I approach it from a CA pov... because that's a big part of what I do and I'm tired of having to fix other's mistakes.

· 
tduds

I was thinking last night that x-jla is to this forum what a "x/256" dimension is to my Revit model. I chase it through the plan, diligently and subtly adjusting inaccuracies until I think I've smoothed everything over, only for it to inexplicably and inevitably appear again somewhere completely unexpected. There, is that enough drama?

3  · 
randomised

Beautiful analogy!

· 

if x-jla is x/256 measurements, does that make randomised the times I tried to hit ESC on my keyboard and ended up hitting F1 instead?

4  · 
randomised

Always there to help, even when not requested, especially when not requested, that’s just my nature!

1  · 
Jaetten

Maybe the F1 key on keyboards should be renamed to “randomised”

1  · 
randomised

Not sure if one can have two keys named after oneself, already have the “any” key under my belt...

· 
SneakyPete

Autohotkey

F1:: 

return

(the 'ignore user' of workflow enhancements)

3  · 
Jaetten

Weekend ruined...  yesterday I received an email from a local university, claiming that I owe approximately £10k and I’m  in default of payment since September 2020. This is odd, as I didn’t even apply for a place and be given an offer until the end of October 2020.

Granted the fee applicable is 20% lower than their default notice claims, which by the way is the first contact from them yet claiming to be a repeated invoice, has left me rather perplexed. 

Their terms and conditions state that the first payment, of 3, is due January 21st 2021. Their terms also state that I can withdraw within 3 weeks of commencement of study with no fee required.

After contacting them and being passed from pillar to post with each saying it’s the other I need to talk to, the only agreement they come to is that I must pay. 

So, thinking this through, I’ll be sending them my notice of withdrawal, I haven’t started yet, and by their terms I have no fee to pay. 

I dare say that this has put a dampener on my weekend and definitely reduced my opinion of the administrative capacity of midlanders. This isn’t the only contact with an incompetent midlands based company this year, and each further contact seems to display increased stupidity...

end of unofficial rant 

Dec 12, 20 7:35 am  · 
1  · 

Ugh this sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.

1  · 
Jaetten

Thank you. I’m going to comb through their contract tomorrow and write up a report and make further contact. If need be, I’ll enlist a solicitor.

· 
Jaetten

I appear to have reacted strongly... I miss read the last paragraph and spent the weekend worrying... Not my best moment! 

As it transpires, it was an admin issue, all resolved and to be fair, I feel a bit of an ass...

Note: Never take a Friday email seriously, wait until the Monday and resolve the following week!

4  · 
liberty bell

This is great news!

2  · 

What was the joke going around awhile back about kangaroos? I RT'd this today. Kangaroos fucking terrify me.

Dec 13, 20 2:26 pm  · 
5  · 

Whaaaaaaat?!

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Dec 14, 20 1:37 pm  · 

I know a guy from school that went on to work on set design and construction. Not sure if he's still doing it though. (edit: he is per his IMDB page)

DON'T WORK FOR FREE

8  · 

Guess what - there is an entire industry for set construction. I did it for years during college and during the recession back in 2012. Even then I was paid $15-$20 an hour because of my background and experience.

DON'T WORK FOR FREE.  

OFFICAL CREW CREDIT IS WORTHLESS

7  · 

The only way I’d work for Marvel for “free” is if I got a percentage of the box office

1  · 

Don't lie - you'd work for free if you got to meet the Avengers in costume. :)

· 

Change Avengers to Star Wars and
you’d be correct.

1  · 

Which movies though . . . .

· 

Hell no, hell no, hell no.

· 

Actually, maybe a group of us should *pose* as free-working architecture interns then advise them that real marble and end grain flooring and steel windows and Italian lighting are absolutely required so we get all the set materials there and then start fucking around making enormous constant screwups and costing them millions in materials then laugh our asses off as we set fire to the place and leave?

Wait I may finally have a screenplay idea...

4  · 
citizen

I love it, Donna. I've got my young intern disguise ready!

The Yutes Are Registering To Vote | Mock Paper Scissors

4  · 

This is exactly how I look.

3  · 
citizen

Hardly!

· 
tintt

I consulted on a set once. I was supposed to get paid but never did.

· 
threadkilla

this shit would be in direct violation of whatever collective bargaining agreement the studio (Marvel, presumably?) is under with the locals, namely this would be I.A.T.S.E 800 - the Art Directors Guild, which has jurisdiction over Set Designers, Model Makers, and Scenic Artists. Whatever union covers the construction department would also likely see their collective agreements violated by this. IF, indeed this is a full feature film by a major studio, and not an independent production (those can usually work around typical industry regulations).

· 
b3tadine[sutures]'s comment has been hidden
b3tadine[sutures]

Yo quiero Taco Bel!

Holland has a Taco bell!?

Dec 14, 20 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

*three Taco Bells

· 
tduds

it's "Tacos Bell"

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

American Hegemony at its finest. We don't need a ton of military bases, we'll just send them Taco Bells.

· 
archanonymous

ingenious, you make the locals INTO the bombs, then turn them loose on the city's infrastructure (sewer systems and public restrooms)

2  ·  1
randomised

You do need a ton of military bases and weapons of mass destruction, there wouldn’t be any hegemony without those, don’t kid yourself...

· 
tduds

You seem fun at parties.

1  · 

He doesn't go to parties. He just posts here.

3  · 
randomised

What are parties, you know there’s a pandemic going on, right?

· 

Don't front - you know what they are and that you don't get invited to them because of your crazy accent.  :)

· 
randomised

I always thought I didn’t get invited because I’m an annoying prick.

· 
Non Sequitur

I’ve actually never eaten anything from Taco Bell.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Non, you're not missing anything, but the somehow, the Dutch menu, is atrocious. Taco meat, with gouda? WTF?

2  · 
randomised

You've even screwed that up...It should say: Gouda, with taco meat? WTF?

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

I've tasted gouda, the Swiss do it better. Gouda smells like the inside of wooden shoes.

· 
randomised

How do you know what the inside of wooden shoes smell like? You disgust me!

· 
Non Sequitur

Gouda is for people who think they like fancy cheese but have no fucking clue. Gimme Emmental or Jarlsberg, then we can begin to talk cheese.

1  · 

What are wooden shoes for then NS?

· 
Non Sequitur

^ portable pedestals for residents to lecture down to us from.

1  · 
randomised's comment has been hidden
randomised

Great to be moderated out of that Peter Exley article...what a ridiculous train wreck of wokeness that became, all that's left now are b3ta's personal attacks.

Dec 15, 20 8:09 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You keep using words you don't understand.

· 
randomised

please enlighten us your holy wokeness

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm sorry, I don't speak stupid, err flemish.

· 
randomised

Always so modest...not, you're fluent in stupid, a native speaker even!

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

From your lips to Trump's ass.

· 
randomised

You sniffed too many of those wooden shoes b3ta, your incoherence is embarrassing. Maybe take a breather, go outside, have a walk and try again.

· 
archanonymous

Occasionally you both contribute meaningful stuff to the discourse here, but in the current state I don't even want to check TC because your toxicity is so pervasive. Blocking both of you.

2  · 
randomised

“He started it!”

· 

Yeah, this is supposed to be the fun place but several people are just being buttheads. It’s December, we’ve almost made it through hell year. Lighten up y’all.

4  · 

Rando and B3t - shut the fuck up you pear clutching ninnies'.

2  · 
randomised

Okay, okay, okay...let’s talk booze instead here on Intoxicated Central, just got a nice bottle of Portuguese port at work, any advice on what to pair it with that’s not a dead animal?

· 

A lightly sautéed wooden shoe.

· 
Non Sequitur

Rando... port is Portuguese by default... (obv needs to be from Porto...) anything else is just fortified wine. Anyways, it should be paired with a strong cigar. Some aged & firm cheese (not gouda) assortment would not be a bad idea.

· 
randomised

My addition of “Portuguese” was indeed superfluous...thanks for the tip!

1  · 
midlander

tawny port with skittles, but not the orange ones. those go better with gewurtztraminer or tokay.

· 
Non Sequitur

I guess my attempt at creating a distraction to the political dumpster fire in TC was not appreciated.  Fine, I'll take my cheese discussion elsewhere.

Dec 15, 20 2:16 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Cheese is widely recognized as the second-best fire suppressant. It finally lost out to Halon in UL testing, because people were being knocked unconscious by wheels of gouda dropping from the ceiling every time someone lit a damned cigarette.

6  · 
citizen

Also, it looks like I accidentally chose a good time to be elsewhere.... Glad I missed the fun.

1  · 

I was just going ask what happened to the cheese.

· 
archanonymous

I'm down for a cheese thread. My wife and I were just discussing how to get our cheese fix this holiday season since driving to Wisconsin is out of the question this year.

2  · 
Non Sequitur

I used to live (rent, actually) in one of the trendy places in my city and we were within a 3min walk from the best cheese store. The cheese lady knew us by name too... and I could easily drop 100 loonies on a few small slivers of cheesy goodness.

1  · 
tduds

My first place in Portland was walking distance from here: https://cheese-bar.com/ It lives up to its name.

3  · 
citizen

^ Looks fantastic. I could just set up a cot in the corner there...

· 
archanonymous

As long as they've got a corkscrew I can use.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

If you are ever in the Twin Cities, Surdyk's is the joint, for cheese.

· 
Wood Guy

Is anyone in Cleveland? My BIL is getting noticed, for his cheeses: https://oldbrooklyncheesecompany.com/. He also makes some good pickled mustard seeds. 

1  · 
archanonymous

Not in Cleveland, but this would be a good justification for a road-trip post-pandemic.

1  · 
archanonymous

As an aside, I've been making my own fermented mustards and it is a life-changing condiment when done correctly. Your BIL's mustard looks pretty damn tasty too.

2  · 
tintt

Ok now I have to go get some fancy cheese.

2  · 
Wood Guy

Arch, they are good. We don't see them much and my wife has been making pickled mustard seeds forever. I actually like hers even better than my BIL's. I have developed a killer recipe for salad dressing that is best with a dollop of pickled mustard seeds, though prepared mustard can work in a pinch.

2  · 
archanonymous

Do you quick-pickle them with vinegar or do you let them ferment?

· 

I am intrigued. I've never heard of pickled mustard seeds. What do you do with them, use them like relish?

· 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Back in the 70's I lived on the Cambridge/Sommerville town line. We had a place called Sauenor's which was a butcher grocery store and just down the block was a place called the Wine Cheese Cask. It was at that time the best around.

1  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, I'm not totally sure but here's a recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pickled-mustard-seeds. The seeds get soft but still have texture, they're a bit sweet with less bite than regular prepared mustard. You can use them on a sandwich, in salad dressing, with cheese on a cracker, etc.. The texture is like caviar, fun to eat!

· 
Wood Guy

Snooker, I lived in Porter Square for ten years starting in the mid-90s. I think I remember the Wine Cheese Cask but was too poor to shop there! Maybe I'm thinking of another place. Crazy how much that area has changed just in the last 20 years. It was just starting to get gentrified when I was there, once rent control was eliminated.

1  · 
archanonymous

That answers my question, WG.

.... here's a good video on fermented mustard seeds. Essentially pickling but using lactic acid generated on-site by happy bacteria. 

Donna, I usually do the pickling, then crush coarsely in a mortar-and-pestle for a whole-grain Swedish-style mustard. Or I'll use my immersion blender to turn it into creamy German-style mustard.

· 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Wood Guy, The butcher deli was often visited by Julia Child. Would run into her there every once and a while, couldn't miss that voice. The Wine and Cheese Cask always said there wine prices were the best in Boston. There cheese was exceptional. One of my room mates at the time was a souse chef who had exceptional abilities at selecting the right meat, wine and cheese.

1  · 
Wood Guy

I never met her but worked as a carpenter in her neighborhood, the Huron Ave area. She was basically next door neighbors with Bob Vila and Alan Dershowitz. Was the cheese shop off Huron Ave?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked it up, different place. The Wine and Cheese Cask is still there, just a couple of blocks from Moshe Safdie's office!

1  · 
tduds

Small World! I lived in Huron Village (in the crappiest apartment building in Huron Village) for a couple years before moving west. It was a beautiful neighborhood to walk around. John Malkovich and some Thai royalty lived on my street. What's that market over there... Formaggio Kitchen I think? Classy, *and* expensive.

1  · 
Wood Guy

It is a small world indeed! Formaggio, that's the place I'm thinking of. On the slope facing north. I got lunch there a lot. Or at the farm store across from Rockler on Mass Ave. Some good memories from those days. Edit: wrong again. Hi-Rise Bread Co is what I'm thinking of. A block from Formaggio. The farm store is Pemberton's.

· 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Wood Guy as you see it is on Washington Beacon Street in Sommerville. There was also a restaurant on Kirkland across the street for the butcher/deli called Peasant Stock. They served limited dishes that changed all the time so you just had to check to see what was on the menu.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think this might be okay to post, but since it's about people doing good, and talking about doing good, I'm not sure. Maybe those organizations don't want people to know that they have needs? 

MacKenzie Scott aka Badass

Dec 15, 20 4:01 pm  · 
2  · 

Can't find my wallet.  Grrrrrrr.  

Dec 16, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

between/under the seats of the car? coat pockets? I hate this time of the year when you start using more clothing and lose things all the time.

· 

Looked. Nothing. Checked the office, the gym, my car. :(

· 
atelier nobody

Try cancelling all your credit cards - I always find my wallet immediately after I do this.

7  · 
Wood Guy

It's probably right where you left it.

2  · 
randomised

Can you check online when/where you made your last purchase?

1  · 

Already know where I made my last purchase and we monitor or credit cards online for purchases to track our spending. So fart only the normal stuff.

· 
tintt

My best thought is that it is sure to be in the last place you look for it. :)

2  · 
Non Sequitur

It’s always in the last place you look. Try looking there first.

2  · 
tintt

If it helps, my wedding ring has been misplaced for months.

· 

Found it! I knocked it into the small trash can in our laundry room.

5  · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

To many pockets in the winter time. Seems like I'm always putting car keys in the wrong pocket when I go to the store and have a arm full of groceries go to grab for my keys and well they are not in the pocket of the free arm. So have to do the shift of groceries from one arm to the other. Same thing happens at the Packie.

1  · 

Glad it turned up. Points for tintt and NS on the dad joke (not sure if it is technically a dad joke, but since my dad used/uses it all the time it's a dad joke to me).

2  · 
JLC-1

lost a fee payment check yesterday, must have fallen off my jacket pocket between getting in the car and walking to the office, fortunately the client is friendly.

· 
tintt

I found my ring! At a pawn shop. They sent my ex-housemate a postcard about it.

2  · 

Wait, what? Tintt, you must elaborate on this.

· 
tduds

Wow! That's fantastic news, and I imagine will be a good story for future dinner parties.

· 
tintt

Chad, I took in a friend that was struggling last summer. My ring went missing around August or September. I kicked out the friend about 3 weeks ago for various reasons that are unmentionable and quite serious. Today, a postcard from a local pawnshop showed up addressed to this friend to remind her to come reclaim her jewelry.

· 
archi_dude

Just remember that if its crime committed in the name of mental health or poverty you need to suck it up and excuse them. It's the right thing and I'm glad Seattle is paving the way.

1  ·  1
tintt

archidude, tell me more. What do you mean by Seattle is paving the way?

· 
curtkram

you might need better friends tintt. or just stick with archinect. we wouldn't pawn your wedding ring and let you find out a few months later.

· 
geezertect

tintt: I think Seattle is making poverty, addiction, mental illness allowable legal defenses in certain crimes such as theft, vandalism, etc. Effectively, they become get-out-of-jail cards. Look for this kind of nonsense to spread. Wokeism gone wacky.

tintt

Ah I see. Oh geez. I just got back from the pawnshop where another layer was added to the story. They had seen my ring but currently don't have it.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Actually, if white collar criminals were put in prison for their malfeasance at rates that poor people were incarcerated, I'd definitely be more woke.

4  · 

I mean, geezer, there are circumstances under which those conditions - poverty, etc - actually *should* be an allowable legal defense for small crimes of property. Unless, of course, you're an inhumane ghoul.

3  · 
tintt

Sorry for all the drama, internet friends. Only think I can think of is that the ring was stolen, pawned, then returned before I noticed. I found it in my jewelry box where I had looked before. Glad to have it back. Desperate times can make people do desperate things but that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people, they just do bad things. I fear white collar crime much more because you can't just call the cops or piece together a mystery in a few hours with the help of the very nice pawnshop lady.

7  · 

I'm glad you got your ring back tintt. What an ordeal!

2  · 
SneakyPete

Tough position to be in. Friends and trust. People and cherished property. Difficult all around. I'm glad you got your ring back.

3  · 
archi_dude

Donna could you please give a scenario where a small property crime should be excusable due to being poor?

· 
Non Sequitur

Archi, I believe the thought here is decriminalizing, like many places are starting to do with drugs, and instead focus on rehabilitation instead of tossing people in jail. I don't think anyone is giving away licenses for petty crimes.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Formula, if a desperate mother needs to feed her isn't, and can't get access to formula, and can't get the baby to latch. If that mother is fined, or charged, then we should burn down cities.

· 
archi_dude

Difference there is you are harming yourself with drugs. Decriminalizing crime? You are allowing harm to others. And yes they are, you can google the thugs making headlines in Seattle and NY who joke about being arrested multiple times in the same day. You can look at the new DA of LA who is for decriminalization of crime in favor of rehabilitation even though under his tenure as DA in SF implementing those policies for 10 years property crime doubled in those 10 years. You can actually talk to cops who are actually hard working individuals who spend all day responding to calls and have them tell you about arresting GTA perpetrators who laugh, spit in their face and say "I'm gonna do time served and be back out here next week pig." Stick your head in the sand more though. Decriminalize crime....jesus.

· 
Non Sequitur

Archi, see how my earlier reply was both thoughtful and intelligent? Give it a try.

1  · 
randomised

So, your friend left 3 weeks ago already and now your ring has magically reappeared...maybe talk to the husband ;)

tintt

Check with him about what, random? Did you miss the part about the pawnshop confirming that this friend of mine had an account with them, that she brought them several rings, and they were in possession of my ring for a while? Hopefully your architect skills are better than your PI skills. It isn't hard to follow petty crime by desperate addicts, they leave clues everywhere. ;)

1  · 
randomised

Don’t know how I missed that, am the worst PI...

· 
geezertect

tintt: well, actually I don't see the part about the account, several rings,etc. either. If you read your above postings, the sequence of events is a little confusing. No matter, since apparently things are resolved and the "friend" is hopefully out of your life.

· 
tintt

Well shit then, geez. I'll try harder next time.

· 
geezertect

Hopefully there won't be a next time.

1  · 

Who on here do I know who is a residential architect in LA who would be interested in a small(I think) residential addition/remodel project? Contact me please!

Dec 17, 20 12:33 pm  · 
3  · 
curtkram

can you talk them up from residential addition to 300 unit multifamily podium? if so, i think i can help.

4  · 
citizen

Zoning, shmoning!

1  · 

I'm a Minnesotan living in Colorado so if this home owner wants some log cabin / mountain resort fusion type addition done to their LA home you can have them call me. Their addition will be 'unique' and 'eye catching'. :)

3  · 
tintt

Donna, if you can't find anyone, I have done work in LA from a distance and I have some contacts there I work with. I'm familiar with the codes and standards. Depends on what the project is I guess.

1  · 
citizen

Sent you a message, Donna...

2  · 

Thanks citizen! A friend asked for a recommendations and I swear my mind just emptied. I *know* I know LA architects, I just couldn't think of them!

2  · 
sameolddoctor

Im an architect in LA, but wont be able to help you as nothing I design gets built !

5  · 
archanonymous

LOL @ sameolddoctor

· 
curtkram

sameold, that's a great strategy to avoid getting sued

3  · 
proto

Dec 18, 20 7:13 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Indoor Waterfall Starter Kit

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Gross... glass block.

2  ·  1
bowling_ball

Fucking. Hate. Glass. Block.

1  ·  1
midlander

nice tile cutting work to make that L-shaped octagon on the column left face - shame it lines up to absolutely nothing!

2  · 
citizen

Be careful in the dark when reaching for the newell post....

· 
Wood Guy

Non, really? The glass block is what jumped out at you? ;-)

3  · 
Non Sequitur

Not a fan of the stain on the wood stair either WG, but felt that was a minor item.

1  · 
citizen

This makes my new fireplace/baby crib invention look even better!

1  · 
archanonymous

I like glass block, it is just never used correctly.

4  · 
tintt

I never thought I'd call out glass block in a project, but I recently did just that. Was inspired by this house. https://www.archdaily.com/248077/ad-classics-maison-de-verre-pierre-chareau-bernard-bijvoet

3  · 
tduds

I got to use glass block correctly exactly once - on a renovation of an art deco school house in Shanghai.

3  · 
citizen

I have one surviving from this beauty:  

Coulter's Department Store (Demolished) | Los Angeles Conservancy

(Not sure precisely which block, but it's a nice one.)

2  · 
Jaetten

Christmas CANCELLED woohoooooooo!!!

Dec 19, 20 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Oh Archinect, how I LOVE the ignore user option!!!!

Dec 22, 20 5:29 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I occasionally go on a ignore/ban drive by on facebook. Good to see so many high-school acquaintances don't have their shit together, but I don't want that crowding up my feed while I click like on my real friend's kids pictures. But I have no active user set to ignore. It's a free source of renewable heat... good for the environment.

1  · 
JLC-1

I hear you, but I have to watch by blood pressure

1  · 

You guys, I'm really shitty at wrapping presents. Do I lose points off my architecture license for this?!

Dec 23, 20 8:59 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Yes. Maybe even 2 points.

Unless the inside of that present is bourbon.  Then add +1 point.

1  · 

As an architect you should be housing all presents in custom made ipe wood boxes scribed with your custom logo.

1  · 
randomised

Tinfoil, can’t go wrong and when it does it even looks better!

· 
curtkram

if you drink that bottle of bourbon before starting wrapping, then the problem with wrapping is not you, it's the bourbon.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Hey now, lets not start blaming the bourbon. All it's ever wanted to do was help.

· 
SneakyPete

Heya Architect, can you put the edit comment button until the mobile site? Switching to desktop mode on a phone is tedious. 

Dec 24, 20 12:38 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd fox that typo, but I don't have the energy.

· 
atelier nobody

While we're at it, an option to delete a post or comment would also be nice.

· 
SneakyPete

I don't like the idea that people can say shitty things and then delete them to avoid consequences.

1  · 
SneakyPete

The current 5 or so minutes to edit for typos or flow is sufficient for me.

1  · 
randomised

4K!

Dec 24, 20 5:39 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Merry Christmas, everyone.  I hope all are having a great day, even in these strained circumstances.

My dad (still a major car geek) was just now watching a rerun of the auction where Steve McQueen's Mustang from Bullitt sold for a paltry $3.7 mil.  As he was commenting, I of course pulled up the chase scene on YouTube in a nano-second, and we watched it together.  Impromptu father-son holiday bonding that's priceless.  Thanks, Internet!

Still fun to watch, and rather minimalist by today's standards:

Dec 25, 20 4:24 pm  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My other favorite car movies; Two Lane Blacktop and Vanishing Point

1  · 
atelier nobody

Ever notice the real winner is the guy in the green bug? No matter how many times they pass him, a few blocks later he's ahead of them again...

1  · 
citizen

I read that it took five weeks to shoot the entire sequence. The film editor won an Oscar... deservedly so.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Anyone doing vr, and what headset to get? I'm afraid of Oculus.

Dec 25, 20 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Anything that ties your business to Facebook is a questionable investment. With that said, we use the rift. It's cool to be able to see the space in proper scale. It's also now deprecated and Facebook will probably remove support before it's old enough to be broken that's how they roll, suck all the data from the user base, then force upgrade by revoking support, usually by adding features you don't need.
I'd look into the vive if I was in the market.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Remember this clownshow?

Dec 26, 20 8:30 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

I followed the rabbit hole to his home in Marfa, so dishonest, they showed it in Living big in a tiny house, and the girlfriend never mentioned she lived with the architect. I'm tired of these grifter-hipsters.

2  · 

This is making me laugh so hard: "AIA to trump: Stop Wiping Your Butt (with contemporary architecture styles, that is).

Dec 27, 20 11:05 am  · 
 · 
citizen

There are a few people I've encountered who should start wiping their butt.

· 
midlander

this ad is everywhere this week! i love how the internet has united us with crappy ads.

2  · 
citizen

Please tell us that pun was just a horrible mistake....

1  · 
midlander

[shit eating grin] :D

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Best thing on Twitter in four years!

Dec 28, 20 8:42 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

At last, the hope and promise of the information superhighway fulfilled!

1  · 
JLC-1

seen on twitter 

Dec 29, 20 1:13 pm  · 
2  · 

TC was on page 2. Happy New Year everyone. 

Dec 31, 20 6:23 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I raise my 10.5% Belgian quad and offer a cheers.

2  · 
randomised

Happy New Year!

(image stolen from Reddit)

Jan 1, 21 5:00 am  · 
3  · 
citizen

Wait... we're supposed to credit the images we steal from the interwebs? I'm in big trouble.

· 
curtkram

welcome to twenty twenty won :(

· 
randomised

I just didn't want to give the impression that I created it, you don't have to worry too much citizen...

1  · 

Starting 2021 by getting in a fight on the Entre Architect Facebook page about what color the shoe moulding should be, match the trim or match the floor. JFC LOL!!

Jan 2, 21 2:04 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I saw that... I'd love to see a situation where the 1/4 round needs to match the floor...

2  · 

Hot tip: THERE ISN'T ONE

1  · 

The only time I’ve ever made the trim match the floor is when ceramic tile is involved.

2  · 
SneakyPete

The trim needs to match the drapes, y'all.

1  · 
Wood Guy

That may be the first time base shoe raised my blood pressure.

1  · 
atelier nobody

SneakyPete

I think that's a little personal to be making rules for other people to follow.

· 

Or match neither. In our previous house (ca 1897), we had wood floors, some stained wood base and some white base, various wall colors, and we went with black for the shoe. It started as an experiment, a "what if...", but we loved it and let it stay.

1  · 
SneakyPete

First we need to define what "match" means.

· 
axonapoplectic

Going back to work on a computer in my bedroom after a 2 week vacation where I didn’t go anywhere doesn’t really feel like I actually went on vacation or I’m going back to work. This break has made me realize that I need to physically be out of the house to feel like I’m going to work.

Jan 3, 21 7:41 pm  · 
6  · 

Usually I take a vacation around this time due to firm being pretty generous with holiday PTO but it felt so different this year. Since cases have come down a bit in Chicago I’ll probably start going into the office more.

1  · 
midlander

so going into the office is the new vacation!

2  · 
Bench

So exotic!

· 

I never stopped coming into the office during the pandemic. :(

1  · 
Non Sequitur

we're in lockdown again this month and this week is the first week where we're doing virtual learning (juniorK) and my wife is doing virtual teaching. The schools could not organize themselves in time for the previous lockdown back march-july, and neither do they have it figured out now, but now we've got to balance 3 schedules. So, instead of going into the office downtown, I'm back in the home office working sporadically whenever I get the chance as their school schedules allow it. This means I can the bulk of my full day done in the evenings.

1  · 

NS, sorry to hear that. My wife has been teaching remotely this whole time. We're lucky to still have our daycare option available or I'd be in the same boat taking care of the 3-year-old during the day and devoting any spare moment to work but the bulk during the evening. I might have to do that occasionally when we give our daycare (i.e. my mother-in-law) the day or week off, but it's been a huge help and we're very lucky to have it available to us. 

On a related note, and we can take the discussion elsewhere if we need to, my wife and I were discussing the other day how people in our area are wanting the schools to open back up, but won't make other sacrifices to get community spread under control. Simplistic, but if presented with the option of 1) have your kids in school or 2) continue eating at restaurants, drinking at bars, and going on vacation ... most seem to favor option 2 (at least based on their collective actions). Disheartening to say the least that as a community we can't focus on what might be in our best interest collectively and make some individual sacrifices. Timely and relevant: The Debate About School Safety Is No Longer Relevant --The Atlantic

1  · 
Bench

EA - I've been screaming this for months. American (and, frankly, many western nation) hierarchy of what people care about has been laid pretty bare here. Given the option of reopening schools or getting drunk in a bar, many places are choosing the latter, despite the *performative* yelling about reopening the schools - think of the children!

2  · 

yep ... this was also floating around my twitter feed this morning:

· 
Non Sequitur

EA, I'll take a look at the link later, perhaps in between periods when Canada destroys team M.ercia in hockey world juniors tonight. Anyways, schools were reopened in septembre in my province while retail/dining/gyms have flopped between restricted to flat-out closed. Currently, we're in the later stage and schools were tossed in the mix because adults can't be trusted not to vacation or travel and gather during the holidays. The thing is, those who will gloss over the most stringent of restrictions will laugh at reasonable ones and by this point, there are too many people tired of back and forth closures + media & inane political news feeds so this group of wankers keeps growing. Eugh. We do our best to do our part, but even within my relatively intelligent group of friends, I see cracks forming.

· 
SneakyPete

I'm becoming more strict. I woke up in a cold sweat the other day after having a distanced outdoor evening meet with one or two close friends thinking about how I couldn't live with the knowledge that my actions caused the illness or death of someone I love.

· 

Dang my shoulder hurts.  Getting older sucks.  :(

Jan 5, 21 12:48 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Wait til you actually get older. :)

5  · 

I'm 42 so I have a bit to go . . .

1  · 
SneakyPete

Wait, you're 42? What in the actual fuck? You look so much younger. My snark is no longer legitimate.

· 
atelier nobody

The first time I said "I'm getting too old for this shit" was at about 35; at every "milestone" age since then I've looked back at the last milestone and sighed, "Oh, you sweet Summer child..." I'll be 54 in about a week.

· 

Now I'm curious to know how old SP is.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I'm curious to know how old one thinks I am.

· 

Yup, my cherubic face makes me look young. Even more so without a beard.

Fun fact:  humans are born with their acromion bones in 4-5 separate pieces held together with ligaments.  That's how your shoulders can fit through an opening the size of your head. 

About ten years ago I had my acromion screwed together because it never fused right. 

· 
SneakyPete

Baby face AND baby shoulders. So THAT's your secret.

1  · 

SP, I don't know ... but your snark about Chad waiting until he is actually old, and then the take back when you found out his actual age makes me think somewhere in your early 40's.

1  · 
SneakyPete

Was that older or younger than previously thought?

· 
Non Sequitur

Just turned 37 recently and the only thing I'm thankful for is this recent 4 week lockdown (until Jan 23) will allow my hands to heal. Injured both middle fingers at the same fucking time slipping off a nice pointy bouldering feature. Figure I was getting old... you're saying it gets worse?

· 

I honestly hadn't thought about your age previously. Maybe older if I had to guess.

Edit to add ... I probably think anyone who regularly posts here is either in their mid 30's to early 40's, or much older (like retired or should be retired in their late 60's or older). Exception would be Donna who I'm pretty sure is in her 50's.

1  · 
tduds

I miss bouldering. Haven't climbed since March.

· 
tduds

I'll be 35 next week. Officially "mid" thirties!

2  · 
SneakyPete

Non, do not fuck with your hands, for real. They take about three months AFTER they stop hurting to fully heal, and if you've ever seen a pulley injury... *shudder*

3  · 
Non Sequitur

Pete... I know what those are, one of my ex-climbing partners has one. It's one of the reasons he's no longer climbing. Taking the rest of your advise seriously tho. nursing them daily has almost removed all pain.

2  · 

I can't recall if I've ever mentioned my age on here before, but like SP, I'm curious how old you all think I am.

· 
archanonymous

2  · 
Non Sequitur

42, That is the only relevant answer.

2  · 
SneakyPete

You were an intern in the late noughties, I think. You're not one to procrastinate, so I agree with archanonymous, 33-35.

1  · 

I expected your estimates to be a little low. Because I embraced the intern title here until 2017 (coming up on 4-years post-licensure this year), people here tend to think I'm younger than I am. A bit of procrastination, but really it was because I specialized before getting the license. On the other hand, people I work with tend to think I'm older because my skillset is usually for older, more experienced architects. I don't look old though so they usually guess early to mid 40s. It was more shocking to coworkers when I was still in my 20s. 

I'm 36.

2  · 

Well now I do feel old and slow compared to all of you young people.

1  · 
liberty bell

tduds you’re too intelligent to only be 35. I refuse to believe it.

3  · 

^kids these days, amiright?

2  · 
randomised

I wouldn’t use the word intelligent there, that’s not related to age, I would use wise myself...but what do I know ;-)

· 
tduds

It's funny, in real life people seem to assume I'm slightly younger - a combination of looks and the fact that I took a roundabout path through my 20's that left me 4-5 years behind in my "career advancement" (but much happier for it, and perhaps that's where the, uh, wisdom snuck in).

Either way I'll take the compliment! 

· 
Wood Guy

I didn't realize I was an elder statesman here, at 47. Bunch of whippersnappers.

2  · 

You're OLD Wood Guy. :P

1  · 
Non Sequitur

whipersnapper is the name of a great craft brewery real close to my house. Carry-on.

2  · 

Oh please, Wood Guy. I'm almost 54. *I'm* the elder statesperson.

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

These kids.

1  · 
tduds

There was a kink/fetish meetup for folks under 30 in PDX called "Whipper Snappers" and, while it's not my thing personally, I gotta respect that pun.

4  · 

That is a good pun. Wait - tduds - you're too young to use puns.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

· 
Non Sequitur

these auto-generation meme quote websites have the best quote to background mashups.

3  · 

Nicely done.  You can stand on my lawn.

1  · 
atelier nobody

I think I've got you beat, Donna - I'll be 54 in under a week.

2  · 
tduds

Never too young for a good pun. I'm practicing my dad humor.

2  · 
JLC-1

I'm almost ashamed to be 56 now.

4  · 
SneakyPete

I'm a long time lover of puns. Highest form of comedy, combining brevity, the absurd, and the unexpected. I think many folks don't like them because they don't think of them first.

4  · 

I love puns. Have you guys been following the Bean Dad controversy and resulting dad jokes? Like "If I bring you a can of beans and a can opener that I don't know how to work what would you say?" Dad: I'd say you have a can't opener.

5  · 
citizen

Holy smoke, I'm ancient. I have running shoes and eyeglasses older than some of you. On the plus side, my doctor did compliment me after a recent physical: "You have the supple prostate of a mere 43-year-old, Mr. Citizen.  And you really should return it to him."  (Ba dum bum.)

5  · 

*snickers like a teenage boy* you said bum

2  · 
Jaetten

Happy New Year y’all!

Jan 5, 21 1:17 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Going to sleep next to my two favorite people has really helped with my outlook on the future.

Jan 5, 21 1:26 pm  · 
3  · 

Do you mean actual homosapien or dogs?

2  · 
SneakyPete

Actual people, currently in nesting doll form.

4  · 
randomised

There’s no place like cloud nine!

· 
archi_dude

what happened to Rick? 

Jan 5, 21 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
gibbost

Shh, not so loud.

1  · 
atelier nobody

Whatever you do, just don't say it 3 times...

1  · 

he had a few posts over the holidays. Seems like he's been focusing on other things like studying to take the ARE, rather than shit posting on here. I personally think that is a good thing.

4  · 
Bench

He seems to have now taken mainly to preparing long, elaborate posts complaining about the new changes to NCARB exams implemented during lockdown. I came across a bunch when searching out some help on specific subjects. Which I'm sure will keep him from actually taking the exams.

1  · 

That's disappointing. I'm still hoping he follows through and takes at least one ... passes it too. After that I don't have strong feelings one way or another. But the dude needs at least something he can look at and say he's accomplished toward his goal of becoming licensed. 

Getting approval from WA state to take the exams is nothing, nor is simply having a NCARB record (these are things he's bragged about in the past). It won't give him any credibility to say he's passed one exam, but it at least will indicate he can accomplish something if he puts his mind to it. Who knows, with a pass on one exam, maybe he can impress an employer to hire him and he can work on his AXP hours. 

I think that is really going to be the thing that holds him back. He's expressed no desire to be an employee to someone else and has such a screwed up view of employee/employer relationships it doesn't surprise me. Regardless, if he wants the license he'll have to do it sooner or later.

3  · 
archanonymous

holy shit you guys its like you want him to come back and fuck up the forum. 

Also its not polite to talk about someone like they aren't reading this when you know they are. And that goes for anyone, including Rick.

· 

I know he's reading it, he emails me about it sometimes. This isn't anything I wouldn't communicate directly to him ... in fact posting it here is basically communicating it directly to him because I know he reads this (Hi Rick). As for messing up the forum, IIRC he can't post to TC and he seems more focused to a few select topics, or at least less willing to shit post lately. It's a gamble, I know.

3  · 
archi_dude

I enjoyed his posts.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

praise her. Say her name.

Jan 6, 21 10:24 pm  · 
7  · 

Who's that?

· 
Wood Guy

Stacey Abrams.

· 
randomised

Olenna Tyrell

1  · 

::start bitching::

I'm starting to be sick of this profession. 

I think it has to do with doing all the retail shell and TI projects I've been doing. Sure it's nice to be in charge of everything but at the same time these types of projects just drain the life out of me as they are mostly coordinating the constant changes brought on by the tenant and the developer.  No one knows what they want and when they do their mind changes faster than I can keep up with.  

::end bitching::

Jan 7, 21 11:58 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I've done my fair-share of these as well. Those involving the inclusion of the tenant's design package (often from in-house folks + cheapest available drafting team) are particularly painful. How many of these TI are for spaces that also just happen to be in construction? Had one of these last year and we made some large changes to the building shell to accommodat their particular needs (custom OH door, relocation of under slab conduit & plumbing, move bracing for odd garbage doors, etc). Then tenant bailed on their signed lease agreement with the LL.

· 
tduds

I've been running CA, remotely, on two TIs since October. I'm just about at the end of my rope. Both wrapping up in February (one nice thing about small projects is they finish quickly) so I'm hoping for something meatier in 2021.

· 

The thing that really bothers me about doing shell projects is that I can't really design a building without a layout. For me the layout directly impacts the exterior. With the MOB shells I've been doing I basically have to layout the building then do the shell. The TI architects are always really happy with my shell designs because 'everything fits so well'. No kidding.

3  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, a few of mine had tenant input for the shell, but at the end of the day, my client is always the LL so they usually don't want too much customization in case the tenant disappears in a few years... but not always the case. Got 2 of them completed 2 years ago in a large retail commercial dev site that stand out well (but still "fit-in" the dev) because we had a decent tenant-shell coordination. Others won't care and stick opaque film to the windows and bolt on cheesy fabric canopies.

· 
SneakyPete

The shells that get designed without the interior being included will always be compromised, frequently terminally so. Columns in locations that make room layouts impossible, walls where there are no mullions, MEP that has nowhere to go, etc. etc. etc.

2  · 
Non Sequitur

don't get me started on mullions that "end" in window panes... just... don't. I've just finished listening to badmotorfinger and can't be responsible for my actions for the next few hours.

· 

I should of clarified. This particular developer has a partner and is courting several medical tenants. The tenant will give their input and so will the partner. This input may or may not be given to me by the developer - it depends on if he agrees with it. Sometimes the input the developer decided not to give me winds up being a deciding factor in the lease at a later date. Then comes the design changes.

· 
SneakyPete

I hope your contract specifies that design changes made after the initial design is approved will be included via additional services.

· 

Oh of course. I also make sure that at the end of each phase the client signs a release on the drawings stating that they agree with the design and any changes may require additional services fees. It's just frustrating and time consuming.

3  · 
SneakyPete

You're my kinda architect.

1  · 
Almosthip

You are all singing my song.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Loving this firm name.

Jan 7, 21 8:03 pm  · 
6  · 
Wood Guy

I need to move and work there now. https://loveschackarchitecture.com/

4  · 
citizen

Nice work! I do hope there's at least one staffer there with a beehive, though.

1  · 
Wood Guy

And their projects must have rusty tin roofs. And lobster.

2  · 
citizen

^ Yes!  Also, I love that the partners are Lindsey and Lindsay.

3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Right?! Plus it's majority woman owned.

3  · 
Bench

I wonder if they and their employees need to refer to them as "E" and "A" to differentiate in the studio ... ?

1  · 
citizen

^ I wondered the same, Bench. 

I worked at a place when I was a youngster where we had a Steve, a Steven, and a Stephen. When a fourth Steve was hired, he volunteered to go by 'Kyle.' Not a middle name or anything, just an alias he'd always wanted to try.

1  · 
liberty bell

<insert can’t tell if serious or joking meme>

Jan 8, 21 10:09 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I prefer to use brand-new containers. You don't know who else had their stuff in there before.

1  · 
citizen

3  · 

citizen that's perfect.

1  · 
tduds

This plan checksheet says "Provide metal stud legend" & I kinda want to attach a picture of David Lee Roth.

Jan 8, 21 2:32 pm  · 
7  · 
Non Sequitur

I would go with a pic of James Hetfield circa Master of Puppets.

Metallica's James Hetfield's Unseen Photos From 'Master Of Puppets' Era  Revealed - Metalhead Zone

3  ·  1
archanonymous

not nearly as studly.

· 
archanonymous

See?

2  · 

This veers a bit into punk, but the correct answer is Glenn Danzig.

2  · 
tduds

We can debate the musicianship but I think on "stud legend" status it's hard to top Diamond Dave.

1  · 
archanonymous

ewwwww, Danzig? If we're going punk at least go Rollins.

3  · 
citizen

If it says "provide," then provide! Take him to the counter with you when you resubmit.

David Lee Roth - "Just a gigolo" | SWR1 Rheinland-Pfalz | SWR.de

Note:  Sammy Hagar will not be approved as an acceptable substitute.

3  · 

I would say I’m a Metal Stud, given my love of the genre.

· 
archanonymous

Young Rollins:

I think Donna should be the ultimate arbiter here.

5  · 
citizen

^ It's like looking in a mirror...

1  · 
tduds

Henry can get it.

3  · 

I...I...I'm having a hard time thinking straight after seeing that image of a young long-haired Henry Rollins. Good lord. I'm melting like cheese.

4  · 

Like, I'm feeling inappropriate even letting my mouse arrow linger on his torso? Eff it, I'm not getting anymore work done today... (I worked til 1am last night so it's cool)

3  · 
tduds

My thinking, also, not so straight right now. ;) Happy friday.

2  · 
Wood Guy

I'm not gay but you have to appreciate a healthy specimen like that. Plus Henry's always been cool. Wish I liked his music even a little bit...

3  · 
citizen

^ Not that there's anything wrong with that, WG.

3  · 

Stop being horny on main, y’all

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Total sploosh.

5  · 
archanonymous

Ngl, I haven't gotten much done since I found that picture of Rollins.

5  · 
Non Sequitur

I mean, no homo, but I’d totally do a tequila shot from Rollin’s navel.

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The only metal stud.

4  · 

Lemmy is God

2  · 
SneakyPete

his face looks like a bag of hammers

striking, but not handsome, I'd say.

what defines a stud, anyhow? orientation? use? fastening? material?

1  · 
archanonymous

@ Wood Guy - I never loved his music either, he wasn't even the best Black Flag singer and Rollins Band was always a little... off. But I do absolutely love this spoken word weird mashup hidden song they did on one of their albums, and I bet you would too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_R2Iy7XBko

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Worth the 20min.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I'd attach both the real thing and the photo. If they have a problem with it the world is worse off than I already believe.

· 
Wood Guy

Note to self

Jan 8, 21 4:06 pm  · 
10  · 
archanonymous

is this related to the large volume of work you had coming in? Those aren't such bad battles to have...

1  · 
Wood Guy

Arch, it came up in my feed while I waded into Politics Central, so that was at top of mind. But it applies to all aspects of life, or at least mine at the moment.

1  · 
citizen

Amen, brother.

· 
tduds

edit: wrong thread. I'll take it elsewhere.

Jan 8, 21 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Bunch of Nazi's? Whats the collective? Mob is the former

Jan 10, 21 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

"Cuckload"

4  · 
proto

baker fucking mayfield!!!

Jan 10, 21 11:26 pm  · 
1  · 

Another week staring into the abyss. 

Jan 11, 21 11:56 am  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

Amen. I hate project management.

2  · 
archanonymous

Is the abyss staring back?

1  · 
tduds

The abyss needs that RFI back, like, yesterday.

3  · 

All the abyss says to me is 'oh, one more thing' . . . .

1  · 

If you don't give the abyss what it needs, it's going to delay the construction schedule, and the abyss will submit a change order.

Also, the abyss has a concrete pour scheduled for tomorrow morning.

3  · 

Actually the abyss wants: 

Design concepts for three different buildings by Friday

CA on two core and shell projects

CD's on a TI.

CD's on a freestanding mechanical screen for the public side of 10 story bank

Contact a potential client. 

· 
square.

this doesn't sound sustainable.

3  · 
SneakyPete

The abyss wants you to get those studies done by tomorrow, but don't start until we get a signed add service which hasn't been written yet.

· 

Oh the abyss knows that I don't do anything without a signed contract and all scheduled dates are from the day the contract was signed.

· 
atelier nobody

I could use a little quality abyss time. Today is my 17th day straight in the office, 194.5 hours booked since Boxing Day, as of 19:00 last night. At least I got Christmas and Boxing Day off.

· 
SneakyPete

There's a little word I'd like to introduce you to.

No.

7  · 

AN- that's nuts. I'm busy but I'm only doing 40 hours a week.

2  · 

Currently my abyss has switched to firehose mode. It's coming at me so fast I can't gte anything done.

· 
atelier nobody

Thanks, Pete & Chad,

This is an extraordinary situation, not the norm at all at this company. Prior to this project blowing up, I had rarely worked any OT here, and never more than a few hours.

1  · 

AN - that's how I am here as well except I don't allow myself to made to work overtime. I just had the mechanical screen project assigned to someone else - thank gowd. I suppose some could view this as a bad thing but meh, I've got a lot going on and appreciate the help!

2  · 
Wood Guy

"Firehose" sounds about right. Not happy with my employer right now--he took on way too much work. Unfortunately he is me.

3  · 

I keep telling you Wood Guy, you need to take that stuff up with HR or your employer will keep walking all over you and exploiting you.

3  · 
SneakyPete

AN, that's a bummer. Hopefully it will end sooner rather than later and they hit you with a big raise next year.

1  · 
Wood Guy

I know, sorry to keep complaining here. It's borderline comical at this point. Or I'm borderline, perhaps.

2  · 
SneakyPete

Certifiable. Also passionate, competent, invested, well-intentioned, and important.

2  · 
Wood Guy

I don't know about "important." Competency is a goal I strive toward. Otherwise, yeah.

1  · 
SneakyPete

You've increased the collective knowledge of the profession, I consider that of import.

3  · 

Humble too

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Well, this 10% trappiste brew ain't gonna drink itself. Carry on.

2  · 
Wood Guy

Non, sounds heady. And wise.

1  · 
archi_dude

The abyss was quite powerful today but luckily there is this island of light called home with the wifey and some solid waves a couple blocks away. Keep everything in perspective everyone and let's all learn to say "no, how are those hires you promised 6 months ago coming?"

2  · 
Bench

Curious WG - if you're so busy why haven't you added some staff? I think you said you've relied on a network of colleagues/freelancers in the past to get by with the flux, is that still the case?

(I'm not copping for a job, just trying to think more like management)

· 
Wood Guy

Bench, I have four architects freelancing with me, which is definitely helping. But there is still a lot of management to do, and many of my projects are small, weird renovations that I can't delegate effectively. I'm working on being better at business, though. A bookkeeper just started, and will take a few months to train (mostly her training me).

2  · 
SneakyPete

What about hiring project managers who are specifically NOT design minded so they keep their eye on the ball instead of chasing their true calling at the expense of the job they were hired to do? I am projecting here...

1  · 
Wood Guy

Thanks Pete. I have kind of an unusual situation, I think. I've become something of an expert (or perceived expert) in relatively affordable, high-performance, low-carbon homes and renovations on tight budgets. I also do unusual projects: coming up are a 50' x 120' goat barn, turning a 1790 timber framed barn into a house, etc.. I work out of a guest bedroom in my house and don't have room to expand, so I can only have remote help. I live in a very rural area but almost all of my jobs are 1-2 hours away, in all directions. I'm not an architect so fresh grads don't want to work for me and experienced architects often have an attitude, perhaps justifiably. I am fast and provide a good value, though I've steadily raised my rates and I believe I'm competitive with architects in my area.

Anyway, that was supposed to be short--your idea is interesting and I can see that being a good goal. Before I do that I need to get away from the concept of selling myself, which has become easy, and instead sell what my firm can do.

One of the architects helping me right now is great and lives in my primary market area. I'm trying to treat him as project designer, but because he came on after the client hired me and wanted to work with me, I'm staying involved for now. But he could be perfect as a project architect, if he was happy remaining a subcontractor. I'd be happy to hire him as an employee but I don't think he's interested in that.

· 
archanonymous

WG, your description of your practice sounds like exactly what I am looking for when my time in my current firm is up! (not that I'm looking for a job or anything). Point being, I'm sure if you keep looking and keep the word out you'll be able to keep finding good architects like the one you describe.

1  · 
archi_dude

WG, sounds like you can raise your rates higher and increase your schedules?

1  · 
Wood Guy

Archi_dude, yes--my current batch of jobs are all on my previous rate, but I increased it 15% about a month ago for projects going forward. I'm scheduling new work for "sometime around June or later." A few people are willing to wait.

· 
Wood Guy

Archanonymous, I will say it feels great to be in demand! I made a big career change about six years ago and have had a few big missteps since then. It's only been about a year and a half that I'm really focusing on this as a business, or at least trying to, and it's paying off--largely just being in the right place at the right time, but I'll take it.

1  · 
Jaetten

Clearing the study, we found this receipt. Our first meal as a married couple!

Jan 12, 21 9:00 am  · 
3  · 
Bench

No double double ?!

- Just kidding, I take my coffee black. Great find!

1  · 
randomised

Left any tip?

1  · 
Non Sequitur

so 2 different types of potato and a coke?

2  · 
Jaetten

Soy latte from Starbucks at the Hilton, don't think I could manage more coffee haha. 

I prefer paying on card and giving tips in cash. 

Not the most exciting menu as we had a coach to catch and were killing time while we waited.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

could have at least ordered a Canadian maple doughnut.

· 
tduds

"Canadian maple" ...redundant?

1  · 
Non Sequitur

tduds, Canadian maple is a cream-filled (is that a gigiti?) pastry with maple flavoured icing... not to be confused with the maple dip, which is a regular doughnut without fill but with the same maple icing. The Canadian maple is essentially a boston cream with maple icing instead of chocolate. See exhibit A below.

No photo description available.

5  · 
tduds

Yum.

1  · 

Waaaaait a minute. How have I spent so much time in Michigan and never heard of a Canadian Maple donut? That sounds amazing! Is it a Tim Horton's thing only, because I've never been to one.

Love the receipt, Jaetten! Husband and I honeymooned in Niagara Falls!

4  · 
tduds

I once had a whirlwind roadtrip romance in Niagara Falls (and elsewhere in Canada). I always tell people it was like taking a honeymoon with a total stranger.

Incidentally my actual honeymoon was a roadtrip. Guess I've got a type.

· 
Non Sequitur

The Canadian maple is a Tim Horton classic. Their baked goods are pretty terrible since they come pre-baked and frozen. Their coffee is also pretty bad, but it’s cheap and there is a Tim’s at every street corner up here.

3  · 
archanonymous

Sounds like Dunkin without the sharps containers in the bathroom stalls and the crackheads out front.

· 
Non Sequitur

ArchA... There are plenty of Tims near my office where I don't even think my steel-toe boots will protect me from the needles.

1  · 
Jaetten

Thanks Non, I'll have to find a vegan recipe and make my own maple doughnuts!

· 
tduds

I worked briefly on the project in this image about 4 years ago. 

I've finally made it, y'all.

Jan 12, 21 2:12 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

I kept an old metals catalog around for years because a project I worked on was featured on the cover. I finally tossed it in the last office cleaning purge.

3  · 
atelier nobody

My "15 minutes" can be seen here: https://eventscape.com/portfolio/miss-sixty/

2  · 
SneakyPete

was the human specifically backlit for the photo or is it really that translucent? Neat shape, reminds me of my favorite lamps.

· 
atelier nobody

Yes, they really were translucent, although I'm sure the backlighting was also enhanced for the photo. The stretched fabric was roughly tee-shirt weight.

1  · 
axonapoplectic

I had to mute x-jla.  I think he needs a break from social media. 

Jan 13, 21 4:19 pm  · 
6  · 
citizen

Thank you for letting us know.

1  · 
Bench

Did it over a year ago, the forum is much more enjoyable without having to sift through conspiracy theories.

3  · 

I'm still not sure how x-jla can spend so much time here yet claim to own and run a business.

2  · 
midlander

owners own, workers work

· 

Not really but sure.

3  · 
SneakyPete

Owners with the wrong priorities and a misguided and wrong understanding of their business merely own. And after typing that, it makes so much sense...

2  · 
midlander

i think you understood my point Pete ;)

2  · 
tduds

I had him muted for a bit, then thought perhaps I could just not engage. I failed. Back on mute for a few weeks.

2  · 

I just unmuted because I'd see about 5 of his replies to my one comment. Couldn't help myself. Left him a note in politics central higher up on the page and put him back on mute.

2  · 
tduds

It's a real shame, being unable to have an actual conversation in that thread. There were some potentially interesting ones, too.

2  · 
tduds

I came across a proverb recently that seems extremely relevant to the Politics thread: "You cannot wake a man who is pretending to be asleep."

4  · 

Whooo Hooo!  

On January 20th I gen an MRI find out what's wrong with my shoulder.

On January 27th I get ablation done to stop my hearts spark plugs from misfiring.  

One hell of a month eh?

Jan 14, 21 11:37 am  · 
3  · 
gibbost

Getting old is not for the faint of heart. Good luck. Hope everything goes well.

· 
Non Sequitur

have you tried unplugging it and replugging it back in?

· 
SneakyPete

I've started having trouble getting to sleep because I wonder when my first health issue will crop up. Been extraordinarily lucky for four decades, I imagine it'll be a doozy.

1  · 

Honestly what's contributing more than anything to my aging is sitting all the damn day long. I do walk the dog frequently, but sitting is evil. Hope your procedures go well, Chad!

1  · 
archanonymous

Hope things go well Chad. The MRI dye is a real treat. Fucking burns so bad going in, but if you go somewhere good they mix it with some IV Valium so you hardly remember it! 

@Donna, the clock is ticking on my current job, and I think something design-build, forensic, or in the field is top-of-list for what's next. I'm so much happier when not at a desk all day.

· 

Thanks for all the well wished. 

NS - I don't think my wife would like the shutdown and restart option.

The irony is that I take rather good care of myself.  All of my ailments are genetic.  Grrrrrr. 

Oh, the MRI is for my bad shoulder and not related to the rouge wiring my body decided my heart needed. Neither condition is serious, just painful and annoying.

· 
Non Sequitur

rouge wiring? how fancy.

1  · 
JLC-1

I started taking a pill for high blood pressure 2 days ago, getting old really sucks, but bad genetics sucks even more. Good luck on your procedures!

· 

Rouge wiring is fancy! So much so that without insurance it costs $15K to fix because the cardiologist has to use the fancy medical instruments to fix.

· 
Non Sequitur

how much is it if they use the old rusty stuff in the broom closet?

· 

$3.50.

1  · 
JLC-1

a question posted on twitter

Jan 14, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

If I'm being honest, I prefer most (remaining) examples of Art Deco and older buildings to 99.9% of modern stuff, but there's such complex and varied reasons for that. And the reasons we can't build like that now are so extensive. Kinda laughable to ask about it on Twitter.

· 
Non Sequitur

because of a few things such as cost, lead times, material sourcing, available quality trades... lack of revit plugins too.

1  · 
tduds

Good taste, among other reasons.

2  ·  1
square.

capitalism

2  · 
proto

Clients with the money to pursue such an endeavour appropriately

· 

I think it's mostly the lack of Revit plugins /s

5  · 
Wood Guy

While not quite that ornate, woodworker friends of mine approach that level of work. I can't share images but check out "projects" here: https://www.tidewatermillwork.com/.

· 

Let's not forget labor laws and the EPA. Darn government requiring workers to be paid for their time, given time off, and not letting us use toxic materials and procedures that kill the workers. It's all socialisms fault I say.

2  · 
SneakyPete

Find a client who wants it, we'll get it done. What's that you say? They don't want to pay for it? Oh. That's that, then.

4  · 
randomised

Ah the memories...

3  · 
gibbost

There's also maintenance and upkeep. You still see a little of this in ostentatious residential design--where owners have fulltime staff around to dust, wax, shine, repair, etc. I can only imagine the facilities/grounds crew on most of the commercial projects I've worked on showing up and realizing I specified a chandelier with 1,000 Swarovski crystals.

3  · 
archi_dude

Did a crazy asbuilt of an extremely ornate hotel from 1880. I'm sad I lost the CAD I made of it. Building department immediately shot down the renovation requests. Thank god.

· 
midlander

i love classical and even baroque architecture, but interiors like this are totally gross. i can't understand how anyone actually likes them, though i am impressed by the intricacy. art deco or fairly pure gothic are great.

1  · 
bowling_ball

My office had a client in the 80s who wanted something like this, including gargoyles and all that, on their new apartment complex (to this day, I believe it's the single largest building in my province, covering an entire city block). They sent one of our architects to live with an old sculptor in Germany who sculpted all these figures which were shipped back to Canada. It's all super tacky but very impressive and it'll never happen again.

3  · 
bowling_ball

Oh also it has a revolving restaurant on the top floor, because of course it does.

1  · 
archanonymous

Damn BB, that sounds like some project.

· 
citizen

It's no Bjarke or Zaha, but it has its merits.Opera Garnier - Grand Staircase 3D model | Paris opera house, Opéra  garnier, Opera garnier paris

2  · 
Non Sequitur

BB, Fort Garry Place?

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: