Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

snøhetta staff, all, not just architects. Filed with the NLRB!

May 9, 23 12:55 pm  · 
4  · 
Bench

... i actually thought there was a bunch of literature out there about how snohetta has always been unionized? I wonder if that's only in the Oslo office?

May 9, 23 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Oh woops. answered my own question. That is indeed the case.

May 9, 23 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 

As I said above last night I watched Hereditary, which is a very well-made movie and full of successfully unsettling images. Yesterday evening I listened to an EconTalk podcast with a guy who is both a "father of modern AI" and also currently believes it's on track to kill us all.  https://www.econtalk.org/eliez...

Today I'm alone in the entire office and feel uneasy. I'm not afraid of ghosts or demon worshippers, but/and AI definitely scares me.

May 9, 23 2:39 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

You can ask the ai to tell you everything is going to be ok in a reassuring voice. That might help. i would not ask the ai to open the pod bay doors.

May 14, 23 9:39 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Uh-oh, this is done by elementary school kids and it's better than what's being argued.
May 11, 23 8:26 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

The industry's obsession with novelty is immeasurably harmful to the creation of good work.

May 14, 23 12:34 am  · 
4  · 
ivanmillya

Must have missed it... what's being argued for by the architect?

May 16, 23 7:03 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

that tag line is a bit misleading. This was done by a creative and underutilized artist who also teaches children and allows them to explore and learn through making. You can't tell me a bunch of 10 year olds got into the room together and just made this. I would argue the built world and architects would do well to lean in on local art to supplement design whenever possible.

Jul 28, 23 10:32 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Work has gotten pretty slow. Positive side is I have a couple senior people fighting over my time - the down side is that it’s a bunch of random little bits and pieces of things and not very challenging.

May 15, 23 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If they're still signing paychecks, I count that as a win.

May 15, 23 6:10 pm  · 
3  ·  1
Bench

can i ask if you're primarily in residential (either high-density or SFR), and how diverse the work pipeline is? We're bursting at the seams, but exist in a very particular market sector that's full steam ahead at the moment. Meanwhile the friends in towers, commercial, residential seem to be hopping around firms.

May 16, 23 9:39 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Seeing our book in or near the #1 slot hasn't gotten old yet! It's been released for about ten months now and a best seller in 2-3 categories for most of that time. Even with that, it's usually around #20,000 among all books, and the highest it's been is about #7,000.

We're gearing up to start writing book 2--Pretty Good Renovations. 

May 16, 23 12:39 pm  · 
11  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The Pretty Good Reno is what I need, even though I bought this one.

May 16, 23 12:43 pm  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

We've heard that a lot. It's just a much more complicated thing to tackle, as there are so many options in so many different climates and local practices! We're just starting to work on how to approach it. I think we'll end up going through the different parts of a house (foundation, windows, heating system, etc.) and talk about typical existing conditions and potential upgrades for each one, and how to think beyond first costs. Then we'll have a pile of case studies.

Another idea, I think it was mine, is to have it be mostly case studies with just enough copy to tie it together.

What do you think would be most helpful?

May 16, 23 1:26 pm  · 
3  · 
Bench

Would definitely buy the next one. I find the case-study approach to be unhelpful. It usually ends up with generic copy describing the project, with very little substance in the reasoning beyond superficial pros/cons. What I truly enjoyed about PGH-1 is that you started with a bottom-up explainer of how and why to look at a variety of conditions, then supported with examples after. I learned a ton from the book!

May 16, 23 1:40 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Great feedback, thank you. With any case studies that we do include, we plan to go into a fair amount of detail--more than what we had space for in the current book. (We're differentiating them as PGH and PGR.) But your point is well taken, and if it's going to be used as a reference book I can definitely see the challenge of the case-study approach.

May 16, 23 1:55 pm  · 
1  · 

Wood Guy my memory is *terrible* so you may be the one who actually introduced me to this but have you seen the CARE Tool that lets you calculate carbon savings of reno over new build? https://caretool.org/

May 17, 23 3:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, I have not used it but others have told me about it as well so I should probably give it a try. I'm suspicious of any carbon accounting tool currently available, because it's so hard to get accurate data. The one I'm most comfortable with is this: https://www.buildersforclimateaction.org/beam-estimator.html, developed by people I know and trust, but even it isn't perfect--they ignore emissions associated with transportation and disposal, because they are so variable, and they don't include anything related to plumbing or electrical because it's impossible to get good info. But I'll check out the Care tool as soon as I can. Thanks for the suggestion.

May 17, 23 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Just curious. If a firm re-posts their job ads, lets say every 4-6 weeks, and its the exact same position, is it fair to say they're on the look out but not finding the right fit of candidate? Or are just not having any luck at all in getting someone in to fill the position?

May 20, 23 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I can't imagine any job ad not getting any replies, given the struggles I had in my youth. Although perhaps things have changed that much. I'd say your former thought is more along the lines of what is happening.

May 21, 23 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Interesting. I tend to lean the same way, toward the former. We've been trying to to hire like crazy, but I get the impression we're running into the same thing.

May 22, 23 7:05 am  · 
 · 

I’m watching Don’t Look Up again and oh my god it’s fucking depressing. There are a ton of smart people in the world and there are a ton of really stupid ones. Somehow the stupid ones run things. 

May 21, 23 8:27 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

The smart ones don't want to be held accountable by the stupid ones so they shy away from leadership roles and politics.

May 22, 23 6:08 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

The leaders of the Dumb Ones have better strategy, or at least a more effective strategy, helped by the fact that their constituency mostly doesn't bother with critical thinking. If we want to beat them, we need to strategize and compromise.

May 22, 23 10:02 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

It's what plants crave.

May 22, 23 4:46 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Good article on the dangers of spray foam insulation: https://vtdigger.org/2023/05/2...

May 22, 23 2:37 pm  · 
4  · 

I didn't read the whole article, but as soon as I saw that the example given was spray foam in a wood-framed vinyl-siding clad house I thought OH NO. :-(

May 23, 23 11:10 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Informal survey:

Would anyone purchase an adult (or kid) architecture-themed coloring book of original drawings of buildings and urban scenes? What's a reasonable price? $8? $10? $15? 

May 22, 23 3:08 pm  · 
1  · 

I wouldn't purchase any coloring book for that much. Let alone one for small children.

May 22, 23 3:31 pm  · 

I’d do $10 and buy it for my niece. If I know the person that made it, I’d pay more.

May 22, 23 5:31 pm  · 
3  · 

Good point Josh.

May 22, 23 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i did last year as a gift for a friend's daughter. it was a pack of about 6 A2 size drawings of famous city skylines on heavy card stock. i think i paid around $50. it was the kind of thing you might find in a museum gift shop though i got it in a local bookstore.

May 23, 23 7:30 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Thanks for the constructive responses Josh and mid. That's an interesting idea about using heavier paper and larger size so the finished pieces are something you might want to keep.

May 24, 23 1:55 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

it was neat in being something you could hang up as a picture if you wanted even before coloring.

May 24, 23 8:47 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'd pay $10 to buy one for my nephew.

May 24, 23 8:57 am  · 
1  · 

This whole going out on my own thing is certainly something.

May 22, 23 5:34 pm  · 
6  · 

I bet! How is it going?

May 22, 23 5:55 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

Congrats and welcome to the club. I hope to get a good night's sleep once I hit year two. On the plus side, it's really nice to be your own boss.

May 22, 23 8:04 pm  · 
3  · 

I would love to hear more about Josh and bb's experiences on this!

I could send you guys Colorado 'baked goods' if you made a thread about it.  ;)

May 24, 23 9:40 am  · 
3  · 

Well I’m just getting started, so not much to tell outside of setup and background task stuff! Things are rolling along though.

May 25, 23 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

So like, does Rick just suddenly get bored every 2 months and drop a series of text bombs spouting weird bs?

May 23, 23 9:23 am  · 
1  · 

Could be work is slow / unfulfilling. I know I post more here when that happens to me.

May 23, 23 11:10 am  · 
 · 

I honestly don't know how he finds the time to write THAT MUCH!

May 23, 23 11:11 am  · 
 · 
proto

I’m guessing his GC license study is provoking a certain internal confidence to tell us how the industry works, ironically in a thread about online study vs experience

May 23, 23 11:12 am  · 
1  · 

The irony is that he's not correct.

May 23, 23 11:39 am  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

I know that I post here and otherwise engage online when I'm short on dopamine, which seems to coincide with having too many projects or tasks that aren't very satisfying. Next up: laying out a schedule for a project I shouldn't have taken on, so my client will stop asking me...

May 23, 23 12:19 pm  · 
4  · 

I'm spending so much of my time not working on architecture it's astounding. If it wasn't for my dog and getting outdoors I've have no dopamine in my system at all. I'd start my own firm but then I'd spend even less time working on architecture and have less dopamine.

May 23, 23 12:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

way too busy to get involved in any dumpster fires at the moment regardless of how tantalizing the flames are.

May 23, 23 12:56 pm  · 
3  · 

I wish I was busy doing some design work. Hell, I'd be find doing CA.

May 23, 23 1:03 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

The inaugural episode of BS+Beer Canada (eh?) is happening tonight, at 7pm eastern time! It's a Zoom-based show, like our regular BS+Beer Show, with hosts and panelists from all over Canada. 

May 25, 23 1:19 pm  · 
5  · 
Wood Guy

https://www.bsandbeercanada.ca/

May 25, 23 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

... any canadians on here participating ... ?

May 25, 23 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

WG... this is the first I'm reading about this. No email? Checked spam folder... nothing. Shakes angry fist in the air in an apologetic way.

May 25, 23 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Sorry (sooory?) Non, I don't have anything to do with it and I can barely keep up with our original Zoom show notifications. I didn't even realize this was happening until just before I posted here. It's an interesting bunch of folks from all over Canada, so it should be a fun show.

May 25, 23 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Bench, I don't think any of them are on here. I know some of the participants--a builder on Grand Manaan Island in Nova Scotia, off the coast of Maine; a trade school teacher and a sales rep for high performance building products, among others.

May 25, 23 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Ill still be driving home from work, but will try to tune in when i get home. So ummmm what if I dont like beer?

May 25, 23 5:31 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

I came up with the name for the local discussion group I started five years ago; the only place to meet close to my house is a micro-brewery in an old, renovated barn. But since we've been on Zoom, I can't recall a time where everyone on screen was drinking alcohol. I take long breaks from it myself. Sometimes I regret the name because it does exclude some

If you start your own group, you can call it whatever you want! A friend of mine has a group in New Orleans and he calls it BS+Red Beans. A group in Austin is the Building Science Philosophical Society. (That Austin group developed independently; there is also a BS+Beer_Austin group.)

May 30, 23 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

One more event coming up: https://bsandbeerkc.org/northe... Some big-name presenters in the building science world. There are other, similar symposiums in various cities around the US and next year there may be one or two in Canada as well.

May 25, 23 1:24 pm  · 
5  · 
citizen

Wait... ball caps, shorts, & smiles, but not a single turtleneck? I am so there!

May 25, 23 3:58 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

a bump to comment on this, or not...https://www.cbsnews.com/news/d...

May 30, 23 10:01 am  · 
1  · 

Yeah it's sad.

May 30, 23 2:42 pm  · 
1  · 

Is this week done yet?  Uhg.  

Jun 1, 23 1:11 pm  · 
2  · 
pandahut

Right, right short week but feels like it's been 2x the time. Glad to WFH tomorrow.

Jun 1, 23 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The number of times I thought today was Friday numbers in the 30’s. At least it’s Friiii… fff… never mind.

Jun 1, 23 7:51 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Today two projects are due; neither are done. And family arrives this weekend and we have to host them over the next week. Gonna be some 0430 start times to kick these out …

Jun 2, 23 10:57 am  · 
 · 

My issue is no fulfilling work. Been going after a few medical projects but the clients are always "we went with someone who's fees are a wee bit lower'.  I'm sick of these types of medical design build jobs.  I told the firm's owners that we shouldn't waste our time partnering with any contractors who want to go after a medical design build.  The clients are always only after the lowest fee.  The irony is that I looked at fee data and actual hours spend on the last 12 medical projects we did and came up with what a realistic fee needs to be for us to make a 15% profit.  We used that data to create a reasonable fee for this project.  

Jun 2, 23 11:09 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Today (Friday) is supposed to be my regular day off (9/80 schedule), but of course everything is a feckin' crisis, so here I am...also worked the supposed holiday on Monday...

Jun 2, 23 12:17 pm  · 

I'm getting out of here in another 30 minutes and if the weather holds I'll be out mountain biking for 8-10 miles.

Jun 2, 23 12:21 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I decided not to post-date my emails last night so that the design staff taking an early weekend (solid week of 30c heat) know the real work was getting down at 1:30am.

Jun 2, 23 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Only 30c - dang Canadians. Our summers here are around 35 to 40c. You'd melt here Non.

Jun 2, 23 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
pandahut

Chad I hear you on those med designs. Historically we saw good inflow of work when projects like clinics were treated as rollouts (interior or ground up) and deployed among a few cities but also they are as you said nats ass on bottom line and thin margin for fee and profit. Sad reality. None the less, at least we could follow suit and turn out Pizza Huts as Clinics.....lol.

Jun 2, 23 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm well rested, relaxed, no deadlines, well hydrated and I forgot it wasn't Friday yesterday because I took today (Friday) off. Y'all gotta chill the fuck out.

Jun 2, 23 12:48 pm  · 
4  · 

I'm chilled out. I'm just unfulfilled at work. In ten minutes I won't think about work until 7am on Monday.

Jun 2, 23 12:50 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

UNFULFILLED AT WORK should be my bumper sticker, really.... Thank heavens I have some friends to go on long bike rides with.

Jun 2, 23 1:34 pm  · 
5  · 

I’m working until 5 today, because my boss is horrible

Jun 2, 23 1:48 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

Nobody tells you that contempt for your boss carries over to self-employment!

Jun 2, 23 2:51 pm  · 
5  · 
Wilma Buttfit

I blew off two deadlines, interviewed for and got a great little job with a great client. Fresh energy welcomed yes ahem. First Friday of summer, yall! Enjoy it.

Jun 2, 23 4:56 pm  · 
3  · 
cherrymorgan

some comments here are hilarious

Jun 2, 23 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Happy monday TC!  Looks like half my country is on fire today... as smoke is making the view out of the office window a grey hazzy fog (Thanks quebec...).

We've been getting a few similar requests from clients over the last few months regarding gender-neutral or "all-access" washrooms (restrooms for you freedom lovin' mericans).  Some clients appear to think the building code ought to specify how such facilities are labelled and how they are distributed... and more to the point, many clients (such as gov agencies) are using the already mandated universal washrooms to satisfy their gender neutral objectives.

While I applaud the initiative for inclusivity, they are also asking to remove the conventional man/woman figure for these facilities, which, like it or not, is required by code.  Reason being is our code aims to identify facilites to visually impaired first and foremost with internationally recognized tactile symbols...  I had to write a rather long and descriptive email to a client earlier explaining why a stylised toilet profile sign did not meet the intent of the code regarding accessibility and wayfinding reqs.

Anyone else bumping into similar issues?  One of my primary concerns is the almost cavalier, if not disregard for, existing barrier-free (handicap) facilities.  The once reserved wheelchair accessible washroom (with all its bells and whistles) is now also the dedicated gender-neutral spot. I can't help but see the focus moving away from accessibility and  perhaps it's just typical shortsightedness of the gov clients but seems it would be better to look these facilities differently than renaming what we already have.  

Jun 5, 23 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

edit. again for the freedom' lovers, universal washrooms are unisex single-user handicap facilities. They have one toilet, one sink, all the typical grab bars and related accoutrements, a series of power operator, power lock, alarms and a 2100 internal turning dia clearance. So it looks more like a medical room than a place to take a reflective ... eum... pause.

Jun 5, 23 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

2100 radius? FML. I thought 1700 was bad enough. Good to know, I just got licensed in my home province. Otherwise, they really should keep the gendered washroom signs for multi stall facilities. People can use them however they want, but realistically, >99% of the general population identify their gender as their bio sex. The UTR is also for everyone, so everyone has options

Jun 5, 23 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

So the issues are 1. Signage and 2. That the universal washrooms are being co-opted as gender neutral so when someone actually needs access, they can't get it?

Jun 5, 23 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

2100mm (0.019 NFL football fields) is a new CAN/CSA B51 requirement for 2023. Not yet adopted by provincial code but it could be at any time. 1700 is still ok for now...

Jun 5, 23 3:39 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

arch, not so much. The universals serve a specific purpose and are equipped a certain way for a reason. Re-branding them, if I can call it that, as a new gender-neutral attempt at inclusivity is strange. "Oh, you want an all-access facility, you must instead use the handicap washroom that looks like a the toilet stalls in every hospital you've been too." Sorta thinking outloud but hard to keep the two things separate (pun intended, because puns are great).

Jun 5, 23 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Still 1500 radius in Alberta, but need a 900 clear floor space transfer area beside the toilet

Jun 5, 23 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Ah gotcha. I did a University building a few years ago (under construction now) where we did Euro-style cubicles with actual privacy, but the washroom itself was all-gender. 

We also provided more ambulatory stalls than required, but I don't know how America's hat treats those. I think it's a great solution, but not sure if it will satisfy your clients - sounds like they want to keep the gendered washrooms but shove the "all-gender" users to the universal washrooms.

Jun 5, 23 3:54 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

^That's the type of WC reno I'd like them to go for instead of double dipping on the universal. Another client is looking into simply removing one gender sign per floor (alternating M & W between floors) but otherwise leaving everything else as is... that's another level of dumpster fire. Oh great, now you have to use the elevator/stairs to go down one floor? I can't see that one going well either.

Jun 5, 23 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
betonbrut

This is more and more common in public buildings I have worked on here in Washington State. I haven't run into any issues code related. Our signage simple says "all-gender" or "family" restroom. Not all are sized for ADA, just the number we are required to based on the code/occupancy.

Jun 5, 23 5:49 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

"2100mm (0.019 NFL football fields) is a new CAN/CSA B51 requirement for 2023."

Uh oh... do you have a source for that? If its the case i'd really like our project to get built faster now ...

Jun 5, 23 7:01 pm  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

I don't know, NS, I think the UTR is a reasonable accommodation. Otherwise, people are going to use the gendered washroom they feel most comfortable in (/some might not fall comfortably "outing" themselves like that). A lot of our projects are going to individual, gender neutral water closets with shared sinks.

Jun 5, 23 8:21 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

*feel comfortable

Jun 5, 23 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Meanwhile in my state, it is now a crime to use the bathroom according to your gender identity, punishable as criminal trespassing. Interestingly, our state code has a "potty parity" clause, which applies specifically to the number of plumbing facilities located in each gendered bathroom, but makes no mention of single-user bathrooms (or, god forbid, gender-universal bathrooms, which haven't even hit any mainstream codes to my knowledge).

Jun 6, 23 7:13 am  · 
Non Sequitur

Bench, that 2.1m is 2023 pending revision. Not yet implemented as far as I know but depending on the client, they may already want it.

Jun 6, 23 7:31 am  · 
 · 

We're encountering clients that want to use the 2017 A1117.1 regardless here in the US. The only real change is that clear floor areas got 4" longer and the circular turning space increased 7".   You should hear architects though - they are losing their minds about these increased clear floor areas.  

Jun 6, 23 1:57 pm  · 
1  · 

not the same thing exactly (or at all), but I thought MJMA's pool in Regent Park in Toronto did a pretty good job of making universal change rooms into a driver for good design for everyone. (https://www.archdaily.com/771720/regent-park-aquatic-centre-maclennan-jaunkalns-miller-architects). Cant recall the codes to embed links or images here anymore, sorry...

Jun 6, 23 3:05 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Minnesota is mandating adult changing tables in toilet rooms. Waiting to see how this shakes out.

Jun 6, 23 3:08 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Beta, it's been code over here since 2012 to provide adequate space and blocking for future nursing station (adult diaper stations). The amount varies depending on use but in a commercial office building, you need one WC with nursing bench every 3 floors at a minimum... sometimes more if the next one is less than 45m away. It can get ridiculous because all we have to do is make sure there is space making the WC huge for no obvious reason to the client or users.

Jun 6, 23 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nice link Will. I have not seen this one yet. We're in the midst of the design phase for a series of fitness centers/pools/gyms so I'm curious to see what's out there already. Always a good thing to come armed with built examples

Jun 6, 23 3:17 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yet another reason Minnesota is Shorter Canada

Jun 6, 23 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Canada is Minnesota's hat. ;)

Jun 6, 23 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We wear toques or hockey buckets, not hats.

Jun 6, 23 5:17 pm  · 
1  · 

Well we're wearing you so . . . .

Jun 6, 23 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Shorter? Can't even spell Southern, and Ai is supposed to be a job killer?

Jun 7, 23 12:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

shorter works

Jun 7, 23 8:48 am  · 
 · 

MN is technically 'shorter' than Canada. We're also 'southern' Canada, just with more guns and less healthcare. ;)

Jun 7, 23 10:22 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Anyone in town for the convention this week?

Jun 6, 23 1:47 pm  · 
1  · 

I wish. Drink a lot of coffee for me will you? Also get like 34 notepads . . .

Jun 6, 23 1:56 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Shoot, I'm running late. I just have to pack.

Jun 6, 23 9:58 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is my outfit if I decided to attend.

Jun 7, 23 7:43 am  · 
5  · 

The only time I wear black is if it’s a metal band shirt or Bengals gear.

Jun 7, 23 8:40 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Go Steelers.

Jun 7, 23 6:36 pm  · 
1  ·  1
b3tadine[sutures]

Steelers all the way.

Jun 7, 23 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Well-played, b3ta, well-played   :O]    I think we can all agree that both sets of garments are often worn by clowns.

Jun 8, 23 4:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Orca

I had one of those days where I couldn’t shake the “I can’t believe I’m stuck doing this for the rest of my life.” But it’s over, I don’t work much overtime and now I’m going to enjoy dinner with my family. The small things matter the most.

Jun 6, 23 7:58 pm  · 
3  · 

I'm having one of those weeks where I vacillate between 'I have no idea what I'm doing' and 'I can't believe this moron has been an architect this long without getting sued into oblivion'. 

Sometimes I'm referring to myself in both instances.  

Jun 7, 23 10:24 am  · 
2  · 

Well Pat Robertson died.  

I was always told if you can't say something nice about someone don't say anything at all so . . .

Jun 8, 23 1:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Who, that fucking wanker? What a bigotty cunt.  Thoughts and prayers for all his disillusioned followers.

Jun 8, 23 1:15 pm  · 
2  · 

That would require warmth and depth though . . .

Jun 8, 23 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, were you not just yesterday asking others not to kink-shame? Some way like dry and crusty.  Who are we to judge?  #blessed

Jun 8, 23 1:22 pm  · 
1  · 

Wait, are you saying that you'd like to know Pat biblically? At this point that's not a kink . . .

Jun 8, 23 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Happy Pride to Pat Robertson!!

Jun 8, 23 4:55 pm  · 
5  · 
axonapoplectic

apple VR goggles are interesting. We use VR occasionally, but they are used for marketing and are more of a gimmick. This I think combines the potential of augmented reality and VR into a single package - curious to see how it (and eventual competitors) will be used in the building industry. 

Jun 8, 23 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

This has been available from Autodesk for years, you just don't wear those goofy-ass goggles

Jun 8, 23 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I got mine yesterday!

They're great!

Jun 8, 23 8:04 pm  · 
5  · 
archanonymous

I remember like 4-5 years ago (fuuuuck, maybe that was actually 5-6 years) when the Samsung and Google Goggles headsets came out and VRay/ Enscape added the ability to make renderings for VR. Everyone in the office was falling over themselves to learn how to do it and present to clients on them, but hardly ever see it now. Turns out good old-fashioned 2D is easier to understand, easier to markup, easier to produce, and can combine multiple types of media and formats. Still have never seen a client as impressed as when you do a hand sketch upside down while sitting at a table with them.

Jun 9, 23 1:14 am  · 
3  · 
proto

I can’t help but think: one step closer to sitting alone in a windowless room, instead of going outside and interacting with people & the actual world

It can only end in forgetting what the actual experience of the world is like & only create simulated experiences, maybe eventually simulating the experience of being in someone else’s windowless room

Humans are social — the iPhone has taken a significant toll on society…this is likely far worse

[/droopy]

Jun 9, 23 11:30 am  · 
2  · 

It's the weekend!  Time to go rafting, mountain biking, and shoot some traditional archery.  Also grill some elk.   Not all at the same time.  ;)

Have a good weekend everyone!

Jun 9, 23 1:04 pm  · 
7  · 
citizen

When you grill that elk, ask him where he was on the night of the 15th ...

Jun 9, 23 5:45 pm  · 
 · 

I tried to ask the elk but since she's been in my freezer since October of 2022 I think her alibi is solid.

Jun 12, 23 12:48 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

... literally!       =O]

Jun 12, 23 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

HA! You win the internet for the day sir.

Jun 12, 23 5:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Happy World Gin Day, Thread Central! Miss y’all!
Jun 10, 23 10:08 pm  · 
3  · 
midlander

welcome back! it's quieter than it used to be. But also it seems like the spam control has gotten much better recently.

Jun 10, 23 11:28 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

started a TI permit effort for a client who is starting a “wellness” center — it looks like a scam biz that they bought into. My part of this is legit: they need help with a proper life safety evaluation & permit effort to modify the existing space to their needs.

However, I’m not sure if they know the basis of the biz is a scientific sham & are proceeding anyway thinking they will reap $$$ from rubes; or they are naive to being the rubes for having purchased all the requisite gear/training/consulting from the franchise sales. Should I say anything? At this point, I figure they are adults. And as long as they pay their bills…they did pay the retainer quickly…so that’s something.

Jun 15, 23 12:38 am  · 
 · 
Bench

"And as long as they pay their bills…" bingo!

Jun 15, 23 9:03 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Proto, I have a good friend who owns a handful of pharmacies and I asked him why he stocked nonsensical gook products such as naturopathic or magnet bracelets. His answer was that consenting adults can spend their money however they want. The products are there as talking points if ever there are questions. I'd have the same view with clients with similar business as long as it does not target children. For example, id' reluctantly agree to work on a chiropractor office but I would outright refuse a sunday school.

Jun 15, 23 12:26 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

take the money and run. I'll work for anyone. I make Phillip Johnson look like a moralist. 

Prisons? sure. Casinos? Why not.. Detention Camps? someone has to do it. Border Wall? wouldn't want my competitor to get it. New Development in Endangered Newt Habitat? what's the ROI on some fucking newt. Donald Trump? if i get paid up front, why not.

Show me the money bitches!

Jun 15, 23 1:20 pm  · 
1  ·  1
atelier nobody

It'd have to be a LOT of money up front to work for Trump...

Jun 19, 23 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

You'd also get sued by Trump and have to turn over the majority of the money you were paid up front . . .

Jun 19, 23 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Is this week done yet?  I'm sick of not designing things.  CA, PM, CA , PM, CA . . . . .

Jun 15, 23 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I'll trade you, they got me managing pursuits and concept planning and I'm supposed to be learning how to bring in work, after 20 years of back of house operational DD-CA efforts. Old dog/new tricks I suppose

Jun 15, 23 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm grateful for the experience and trust the firm is giving me. I just worry that I'm being 'groomed' to in a management position. That's not something I want to do nor would be good at. I'm a designer and am good all the things related to that.

Jun 15, 23 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

For ONCE I wish this week was longer, so I would not have to travel on the WEEKEND for a long, dumb business trip

Jun 15, 23 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
proto

crazy week here, the work year has finally heated up over the spring & we're wondering how we'll get it all done -- good problems to have after last year's slowdown

Jun 16, 23 10:38 am  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

same, our spring was slow, "start of the year" stuff is now just shaking out, but June has been "hey we're finally ready, did you do anything while we told you to be on HOLD?" and July is gonna be rough going

Jun 16, 23 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

We had a client ask us that recently. Our PM said 'where you paying us to continue to work?' The client just turned red and shut up.

Jun 19, 23 10:19 am  · 
2  · 

It's almost the weekend. Anyone have fun plans?  I dont' thus I want to live vicariously through you . . .

Jun 22, 23 11:40 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

School year ends today, I've turning my 4 weeks of vacation into several 5 day weekends.... starting in 3hrs.

Jun 22, 23 11:50 am  · 
1  · 

I have no vacation left this year. Going to europe for two weeks and planning an elk hunting trip will do that. ;)

Jun 22, 23 12:20 pm  · 
2  · 
JLC-1

my wife and I and our 13 yo cat are babysitting our sons 1 yo cat, it's an adventure. Did you already go to Europe?

Jun 22, 23 12:59 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Going to be getting our camping gear together for the following weekend, which is Canada Day long weekend, where I will be attending an event called Weedstock

Jun 22, 23 1:02 pm  · 
1  · 

JCL-1 

Yup we went and came back from europe. Fun times! Drank a lot of spirits that had a turpentine aftertaste. :s  Would still do it again!  

Jun 22, 23 1:14 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Medieval Geekery

Jun 22, 23 4:09 pm  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Get pounded by hail. Hopefully get some ridin' in.

Jun 22, 23 4:10 pm  · 
 · 

altelier - to tell!

Jun 22, 23 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

pandahut - getting pounded - is this like a kink or? Sorry, I couldn't resist.  

What are you going to be ridin'? (generally speaking).

Jun 22, 23 4:23 pm  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Don't hail kink shame, Chad! Will be riding some gravel assuming the weather holds this weekend. It's been a roller coaster the past few months weather wise and don't want to get stuck up there if shit does go sideways. Lastly, I won't be working this weekend.

Jun 22, 23 5:53 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

I’m taking the vintage road bike out for the first spin of the summer tonight. Been way too busy, going to try and get into a normal non-work schedule.

Jun 22, 23 5:57 pm  · 
1  · 

I'll be mountain biking a bit and prepping for an upcoming car camping trip. Probably shoot my bow too.

Jun 22, 23 6:32 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

Going fishing for a couple days on a clear spring fed river where large trout give you the finger from 8 or 10 ft down — should be fun!

Jun 23, 23 12:24 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I think I’m done working for architecture firms. It’s just not enjoyable any more. Seriously considering a lateral move to government, ownership, or facilities/institutional work.

I do not enjoy the sales/selling part of our field - I’d rather be the curmudgeon on the other side of the table.

Jun 22, 23 7:13 pm  · 
3  · 
sameolddoctor

I have been thinking of a lateral move to something more rewarding and impactful career-wise, like in the World Bank, IMF etc. My experience is geared towards large-scale master planning...

Has anyone done a lateral move of this sort?

Jun 26, 23 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Billionaires
Jun 22, 23 11:25 pm  · 
3  · 
pandahut

Want to upvote but people's lives were lost. Aside from that if there was one apex predator I wouldn't mind being hunted it's orcas.

Jun 22, 23 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

How about this one?

Jun 23, 23 12:03 am  · 
3  · 

You mean like the 17 year old kid or the pilot?  

Jun 23, 23 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

People took a calculated risk and paid an obscene amount of money to be the first to do something well known as being very dangerous. I can muster a little sympathy but not much. Same with people who do anything highly risky, such as climbing Everest or free-climbing a cliff--nobody is forcing them to do it, they do it for the thrill and pay the consequences if it doesn't go well. I used to be an adrenaline junkie but after some bad experiences I've learned to be more careful.

Jun 23, 23 11:32 am  · 
1  · 
bowling_ball

I've heard at least two interviews with family and friends of the victims, and they all agree with you - while horrific, they died doing what they loved.

Jun 24, 23 12:09 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Or this?
Jun 23, 23 12:04 am  · 
 · 

I am astounded about the degree of hateful, incorrect 'information' that I've seen on social media about this incident.

Jun 23, 23 9:53 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

There’s a lot of animosity towards wealthy people right now.

Jun 23, 23 10:38 am  · 
 · 

I understand and can agree with that animosity. However this goes beyond animosity and is in the realm of actually wanting them dead.

Jun 23, 23 10:42 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Jun 23, 23 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Chad, the ruling class is evil enough that I do indeed wish many of them were dead, and I feel no compunction about saying so. They certainly don't view plebes like you or me as worthy support.

Jun 23, 23 11:35 am  · 
1  · 

Could be true. 

I know many wealthy people have screwed over / killed those who don't make as much as they do. 

However I find the hatred I see being directed towards those who died and their families is disturbing. Everyone seems to be forgetting the pilot of the submersible and the 17 year old who also died. I've seen people say that the non rich people who died in submersible deserved it because they were working for the rich. That's disturbing on many levels. 

The real person to deserves animosity (among other things) is the CEO of Ocean Gate.

Jun 23, 23 11:50 am  · 
1  · 

Edit:  correct list of those that died on the submersible.  I thought a different person was acting as the pilot.  Sorry for the confusion. 

Hamish Harding -  aviation chairman

Shazada Dawood - energy chairman

Suleman Dawood - Shazada's son 

Stockton Rush - CEO of Ocean Gate - pilot 

Paul-Henri Nargeolet - professor / researcher on the Titanic

Jun 23, 23 11:57 am  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

I just wish that we'd stop wasting so much time on something as trivial as a few wealthy people choosing to do something dangerous and facing the consequences — instead of shining light on the death, injury, and suffering of hundreds of refugees on migrant boats in the Mediterranean.

Jun 23, 23 12:02 pm  · 
9  · 

That's part of the problem. People seem to be focusing a bunch of hatred towards five dead people because they were rich or associated with rich people. Meanwhile there are a lot of other things that we should be focusing on. It seems like waste of time and energy for everyone.

Jun 23, 23 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Again, the point made, is not about the schadenfreude - or not entirely - about the people that read a release that stated the possibility of death three times, or the fact that a gaming joystick was an example of the narcissism of the CEO, or his insistence that regulation isn't warranted, or that going to visit a grave site. 

It's about the collective concern and administration of ungodly amount of resources being used to save people that engaged in this sort of reckless behavior. Then out of the other side of their foaming pieholes, tell migrants escaping the tyranny they helped foster, to buck up, lift up yourselves. 

By the collective, I mean media, governments, and yes, the billionaire classes.

Jun 23, 23 12:23 pm  · 
5  · 

bta - I agree about the hypocrisy . 

The gaming controller though - they're used in most highly regulated submersibles. The reason is because they work well. That's not an example of the CEO being a narcissist.    

What should bother people is the CEO of Ocean's Gate didn't want to have any non required oversight or safety input from diving industry or coast guard on this new experimental version of the Titan submersible.  In fact the company actively tried to keep 'outsiders' away from their new pressure hull design.  Once things went wrong however they wanted everyone's help.  That is something to be angry about. 

The thing that I don't get is people wasting so much time and energy hating five dead people and their families. All that energy could be used to make positive change. If you're going to hate, hate positively.

Jun 23, 23 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How many migrant boats capsized and how many drowned while the worlds attention was focused solely on these rich wankers?

Jun 23, 23 1:04 pm  · 
5  · 
JLC-1

I equate this to petting bison, doesn't matter how much money you have, can't overcome your stupidity. that goes for the owner and the billionaire that took his son mostly.

Jun 23, 23 1:16 pm  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Focusing on the gaming controller bugs me too. It's like with Covid, people crying about Ivermectin being for parasites--I bet there are more off-label uses for medications than on-label. (Not that I condone or condemn the use of Ivermectin, but who cares what it was originally developed for.)

Jun 23, 23 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I focus on the controller, yes, but I could focus on other things too. Communications were garbage, the hubris of taking passengers in an unregulated craft, a most certainly skeptic when it came to safety. Yeah, you do all that, the video game controller is going to stand out, why? Because they're dead.

Jun 23, 23 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

There are millions of those controllers in service, with a long track record (I assume) of working properly. Why spend a gazillion dollars to reinvent the wheel when an off-the-shelf item will fit the bill? Maybe not the best argument to make to an architect, but...

F150s are more reliable than a custom-built rig. Toyota Corollas are more reliable than a Le Mans race car. Mass production has its downsides, but a benefit is that most of the kinks get worked out. That's not the case for one-off products.

Jun 23, 23 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The controller, in and of itself is fine, when used in conjunction with everything else, right? Drone pilots killing Afghan civilians had no problem with it, other military entities use them, it makes sense.

Jun 23, 23 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Hamish Harding - rich douche 

Shazada Dawood - rich douche 

Suleman Dawood - son of a rich douche who reportedly didn't even want to go. tragic, but makes his dad seem like even more of a rich douche 

Stockton Rush - rich douche 

Paul-Henri Nargeolet - should have known better, but tragic nonetheless

2/5 ain't bad?

Jun 23, 23 5:57 pm  · 
2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Drake Is A Bad Man

No! Stefan!

Jun 24, 23 12:43 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Jovan and Wood Guy have good takes here. 

We shouldn't celebrate anyone's death, but this is a chance to hold a mirror up to ourselves and wonder why we aren't paying as much attention to migrant deaths, or the multitudes of other preventable tragedies currently unfolding. 

Wishing for or celebrating anyone's death, just because they were rich, is just wrong, and I have to believe bad karma as well.

Jun 24, 23 1:48 am  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

They apparently used expired pre-impregnated carbon fiber for the hull (that they bought off Boeing for a reduced price). This means it would have been more prone to cracking and thus structural failure.

Jun 24, 23 9:56 am  · 
1  · 
ivanmillya

No no Arch, don't get me wrong. I have no issue with celebrating the deaths of billionaires. If it feels like a win for the working class who struggle directly because of elites every day – and even die at their hands – then yes, I absolutely will celebrate. AND at the same time, it's absurd to me the money and time expense paid by our governments and media on helping them while also threatening and disenfranchising migrants who are in far worse versions of the same outcome.

I'll be very clear so I'm not misinterpreted: I am happy that three incredibly wealthy assholes got what was coming to them, and it's unfortunate that two people also died, but I won't mourn them while hundreds of migrants forced to flee their homes suffered the same fate while being abused by everyone around them.

Jun 24, 23 10:26 am  · 
4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

It's not, not, about individuals, never has been, and that's the point. Rugged Individualism is what got us here! What Jovan, WG and Sneaky are pointing us to is our collective struggle, the solidarity that binds us all. Billionaires tear at that fabric.

Jun 24, 23 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

I'm all for being held accountable for your decisions. I don't feel sympathy for those that died except for Suleman Dawood and Paul-Henri Nargeolet. 

I'm not reveling in the others death like others. Some foolish, ignorant people that are doing so act like their deaths have corrected some wrong and made the world a better place. It hasn't. The rich companies and their owners still exist (succession). 

Even those that say this has brought attention to the hypocrisy of the migrants dying in boats - it hasn't. We've know about this for decades and done nothing about it. I think this grotesk display of schadenfreude over the deaths of some rich people is just a pathetic attempt to make people feel better for their apathy and inability to try to do anything to solve actual problems.

Jun 26, 23 10:28 am  · 
 · 

b3tadine[sutures] wrote:

"I focus on the controller, yes, but I could focus on other things too. Communications were garbage, the hubris of taking passengers in an unregulated craft, a most certainly skeptic when it came to safety. Yeah, you do all that, the video game controller is going to stand out, why? Because they're dead. "

All submarines and submersibles are unregulated. To board any underwater craft you sign a waiver stating that you could die.  

There is no regulated testing standard to determine the safety of pressure hul and determine the crush depth of a craft. 

There are no regulated standards in terms of safety requirements for underwater craft. 

What underwater craft do have is set of best practices that are typically agreed upon by the sub / submersible design and operations community.  To not follow them is foolish but it's not required.  

Jun 26, 23 10:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Murky Certification

Jun 26, 23 1:01 pm  · 
1  · 

Yup. It's really weird that no certification is required for some submersibles.  The grey zone of submersibles (not submarines) is confusing.  What's even more confusing is that submarines and submersibles don't have to be inspected or certified unless you want to get insurance on them or if you're not operating in international waters.   

Jun 26, 23 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I think if you are going to take tourists, it needs certification, or regulation. James Cameron made a good point about this craft, it's a Wright's Brother craft operating in 737 world. Essentially there's such a leap between the origins of this and where the industry is today.

Jun 26, 23 3:35 pm  · 
 · 

I agree. I think submersible operating in international waters should be required to have regulated certifications. I think this accident will change that.

Jun 26, 23 4:36 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

'tis the season

Jun 26, 23 10:17 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Can someone remind me how to post images in a response to a comment? 

Jun 26, 23 10:44 am  · 
1  · 

I agree to a point. I think a lot of anger is from people being frustrated over nothing being done and that anger makes them feel better about not trying to do anything.

Because it sure is easier to post online than to actually become informed and oh I don't know, vote to make change? 

Jun 26, 23 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What do you mean my thoughts and prayers led to no quantifiable change?

Jun 26, 23 10:56 am  · 
2  · 

I think they only work in Canada for only Canadian issues.

Jun 26, 23 11:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...and the metric system enters the chat, once again.

Jun 26, 23 11:12 am  · 
2  · 

Wasn't the metric system used on the Titanic?  Too soon?

Jun 26, 23 11:13 am  · 
2  · 
citizen

Why wait around for the occasional accident?  Let's get on this, people!

Jun 26, 23 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

Who is this pertaining to?

Jun 26, 23 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Would a bow and arrow count as being shot or stabbed? Asking for a colleague.

Jun 26, 23 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

what about the classic pushed out of a window and fell on a poisoned knife?

Jun 26, 23 2:07 pm  · 
1  · 
____

Twofer, Threefer respectively.

Jun 26, 23 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 

Pushed out of a window by being hit with a club, while falling being shot with a poisoned arrow and landing in a large body of water? Fiver? Maybe a sixer if you made sure the victims shirt collar was really tight?

Jun 26, 23 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
____

I believe that would be a Wily E. Coyote.

Jun 26, 23 2:30 pm  · 
3  · 

You win the internet for the day Arch2!

Jun 26, 23 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Now that's the kind of creativity I was looking for.

Jun 26, 23 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

And he's no billionaire, but he is rich.Naked Gun Oj Simpson GIF - Naked Gun Oj Simpson Nordberg Boat Scene -  Discover & Share GIFs

Jun 26, 23 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

I think he's broke now though.

Jun 26, 23 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

You may be right on that. Still, he decapitated the mother of his children and slaughtered a second person, so we'll count his past wealth and fame.

Jun 26, 23 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Good point.

Jun 26, 23 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

been looking at job postings in my area: “Fast paced environment… there will be overtime”. Another one wants a “project architect” who will stamp drawings and report to a project manager. Ugh.

Jun 26, 23 8:30 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Wanted: unquestioning peons.

Jun 27, 23 4:44 am  · 
4  · 
Bench

How is that second one even legal?

Jun 27, 23 8:49 am  · 
 · 

I want to see these job postings.

Jun 27, 23 9:57 am  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Another fun day working while looking for the next opportunity!

Jun 28, 23 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry to hear. I hope the search is going well.

Jun 28, 23 1:51 pm  · 
1  · 
pandahut

Thanks. It became one of those situations where I am very grateful for being here for various life reasons but also being totally unengaged and not making progress in avenues I really need to be. It has been a silver lining for amazing hours, good pay and time to live my life outside of work.

Jun 28, 23 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Good luck, but be careful - as echoed on these forums, work is thinning out in some sectors. That said, if you can do it, make the move!

Jun 28, 23 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

Love the smell of extremist right wing courts in the morning 

Jun 30, 23 10:56 am  · 
7  ·  1

What's going on?

Jun 30, 23 11:03 am  · 
 · 
pandahut

Can I get a fuck scrotus?

Jun 30, 23 6:13 pm  · 
5  ·  1
SneakyPete

Maybe reconsider doing work for Trammell Crow

Jun 30, 23 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
____

the 19th century British politician Lord Acton: “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

In a kleptocracy, corrupt politicians enrich themselves secretly outside the rule of law, through kickbacks, bribes, and special favors from lobbyists and corporations, or they simply direct state funds to themselves and their associates.

Some common synonyms of corrupt are degenerate, iniquitous, nefarious, vicious, villainous, and incontinent

my personal favorite: incontinent

Jun 30, 23 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Corruption is inevitable in power dynamics, given enough time. No state in history, regardless of its political system, has been above corruption of those who wield power. The agenda of the US Supreme Court should serve as a wake-up call not just that "Right wing = bad", but that the entirety of governance — of dominative hierarchy — is a disease and a danger.

George Carlin said it best: "Rights aren't 'rights' if someone can take them away — they're privileges. That's all we've ever had in this country: a bill of temporary privileges."

Jul 3, 23 7:26 am  · 
 · 
proto

“The entirety of governance is a disease and danger”? That’s a bit of a sweeping and provocative statement that’s probably better off in the politics zone.

To be fair, so is “the smell of extremist right wing courts in the morning”

Jul 3, 23 10:14 am  · 
 · 

The frustrating part is it's a fake case. The woman who claimed that she was being forced to provide the website - not a website designer and isn't a business owner. The gay couple who was supposedly asking for the wedding website - not a couple, not gay, not getting married, and have no idea who the woman is.

Jul 3, 23 10:20 am  · 
3  · 
____

I suppose it is fair to say that this is better left to a politics thread than TC but these 3 decisions (as I understand them) have no one seeking a remedy but merely an excuse to legislate from the bench have me so fucking, fucking angry. I was talking to a friend and we came to the conclusion that unless you have personally ever have had to make a decision between food and medicine you are not qualified for public service.

Jul 3, 23 11:45 am  · 
2  · 

Of course x—jla gave me a thumbs down. And yeah, the legislation from the bench is what really gets me, along with the decisions just being completely wrong.

Jul 3, 23 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like x-jla is getting booted off of threads again for attempting to troll.  When will [redacted by mod] learn?

Jul 3, 23 1:14 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

New hat, whodis? Been on vacation and away from internets for a few days...

Jul 3, 23 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Outing someone who prefers to use a screen name isn't cool... No matter who it is.

Jul 3, 23 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

His actual name is well known. If you like I'll ask the mods to delete my post.

Jul 3, 23 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'm not sure how well known; I've been curious for the several years I've been on here but I haven't seen many clues other than the screen name initials and knowing generally where he operates.

I'm not a big fan of screen names, despite the fact that I use one here--I post plenty of clues to my real identity. But if I didn't want to be findable, I'd be upset that someone outed me. I'm not going to tell you what to do, just sharing my opinion. ;-)

ETA: looks like a mod took care of it already. Carry on. 

Jul 3, 23 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks mod! Sorry for my laps in judgement. FYI - the name of the person was changed slightly only they would understand . . . 

On a side note:  looks like Thread Central 2 got deleted.   

Jul 3, 23 3:20 pm  · 
1  · 

Interesting, I actually *do not* know who j-lax is.

Jul 14, 23 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I find it hilarious when developers and office folk come to site wearing the nicest fashion boots and inappropriate wear. Had some paperpusher coming to site in pretty timberland and in his nicest suit whilst it was pouring down with rain. I’ve seen some pretty hilarious designer footwear as well such as Gucci loafers and boat shoes.

Jul 5, 23 11:49 am  · 
1  · 

Meh. I've worn suits to job sites - it's what I was wearing that day and needed to do an unscheduled visit. Regardless of what I'm wearing I'll always change out my shoes though. A few of our owners always dresses quite well. They visit jobsites all the time and somehow never seem to get dirty. I have no idea how they do it.

Jul 5, 23 12:07 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

We spend 8 months bundling up with several layers of clothes, I try to not wear socks or long pants the other 4, so I do go to job sites in shorts and loafers. Also, have you noticed job sites are the coldest places on earth along with churches?

Jul 5, 23 12:19 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

On more than one occasion I've surprised builders by scaling staging and walking roofs in my dress shoes and clothes. I'm pretty comfortable with heights thanks to experience as a builder and having climbed a lot of trees as a kid (and adult). But I have been entertained watching professionals not used to walking a job site tip-toe their way around.

Jul 5, 23 1:10 pm  · 
3  · 

You're not a real architect until you've worn a kilt or a dress to a job site!

Jul 5, 23 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Some guest architect came to our school's design-build week in gucci loafs and a sick bespoke suit, then absolutely shocked me by climbing down into a hole in the dirt with a hammer and banging on some anchor bolts that weren't setting right. Total respect after that, and a role-model for us all.

Jul 5, 23 3:48 pm  · 
4  · 

I've ruined a couple of pairs of dress shoes with unscheduled visits/forgetting to bring my boots. Not Gucci though.

Jul 5, 23 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

I hope everyone had a fun weekend and still has all of their fingers.  If you're not in the US then don't worry about your fingers.  

Jul 5, 23 12:04 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

frostbite has entered the chat.

Jul 5, 23 12:16 pm  · 
2  · 

It's July, even in Canada it's not that cold yet. Especially with 90% of your country on fire.

Jul 5, 23 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's 40c today but could be snowing tomorrow...

Jul 5, 23 12:24 pm  · 
3  · 

Canada could be actively on fire and it could snow. ;) Oh wait, that's happened . . .

Jul 5, 23 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

@aianational as a professional organization have continually failed is members and the architecture community at large. Three of the biggest stories broke this week, David Adjaye scandalous SA, AECOM, war profiteering, and Snohetta successful union busting efforts, and what does this organization choose to focus on? Rejecting state mandated architectural style guides. Why should anyone join this backward neo-lib organization?

Jul 7, 23 8:53 pm  · 
6  · 
____

Don't forget they provide an invaluable service to the general public and the profession by equating membership with licensure and the aura of licensure with the associate membership.

Jul 7, 23 11:13 pm  · 
1  ·  1
____

One thing no one talks about is how inclusive, accepting, and nonjudgmental they are. Someone could build for anyone and build with any means and methods and still be a member. They talk the talk and they walk the walk when it comes to inclusivity.

Jul 7, 23 11:32 pm  · 
2  ·  1
____

Why join? Because they make the profession more democratic and dare I say it more American dog gone it by expanding opportunities for unlicensed individuals and aren't so unaccepting of moral relativism. These are not small gifts. Heck, I don't even mind people don't believe I am not an architect because I am not a member.

Jul 8, 23 12:03 am  · 
axonapoplectic

What happened with AECOM?

Jul 9, 23 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

@beta I'm surprised you (or frankly anyone) even pays attention to them. I just assume that they are never addressing the big issues, and I've stopped subscribing many years ago. For those that do still pay the racket, you'll be happy to know they are spending your dues mailing me shit every month, mostly pleas for me to pay up. Seems like a pyramid scheme to me.

Jul 9, 23 2:12 pm  · 
3  · 
____

I was being sarcastic.

Jul 9, 23 2:57 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

AECOM is now leading the rebuilding efforts in Ukraine, just like they were always intending.

Jul 9, 23 3:08 pm  · 
3  · 

I apologize for not keeping up with AECOM but could someone please explain to me how rebuilding Ukraine is war profiteering? Has AECOM been trying to cause the war in Ukraine to happen?

I'm not being facetious, this is a serious question.  

Jul 11, 23 10:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Quite simply, this is another avoidable war, caused by western hegemonies. AECOM is an American company, not a EU company. American cluster bombs, American intelligence, all led by America and its continued collective ability to make profits for the war machines, both the unbuilding and rebuilding.

Jul 11, 23 10:26 am  · 
1  · 

I get that. However by that line of reasoning wouldn't we all be war profiteers?  

Jul 11, 23 10:33 am  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Chad, yes I agree, by living and voting in america we are all part of the war machine. 

But we are not (I know I am not) actively involved in the military industrial complex waging and profiting from wars overseas while the problems at home like school shootings, police killings, hyper inflation etc continue to increase. On this note, I did not know that the Dems could be so much more hawkish than the Republicans.

Jul 11, 23 10:51 am  · 
1  · 

If we go by that reasoning then it doesn't seem that AECOM is war profiteering then. I just didn't know if AECOM was somehow actively involved in promoting the war in Ukraine.

Jul 11, 23 11:01 am  · 
 · 

One of my most viral tweets was dragging AECOM for designing prisons when they posted a BLM thing post George Floyd.

Jul 11, 23 1:19 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

josh, the jail isn't what gets people put behind bars. that's the justice system. not designing jails means incarcerated people are in less safe facilities.

Jul 11, 23 1:23 pm  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Are we by defacto complicit, yes in a way, to what degree is debatable. Could we just stop paying taxes? Yeah. 

My question goes to the fact that it's an American corporation, and the war profiteering - shareholders - mostly Americans, and Blackrock, are extracting - both blood and treasure - from both ends of the conflict. The military industrial complex side, and construction complex side. So the Ukrainians will get human centipeded to make American corporations more wealth.

Jul 11, 23 1:46 pm  · 
1  · 

That is true b3ta - is Blackrock associated with AECOM?

I'm still trying to figure out how AECOM is participating in war profiteering.  I don't know much about the company though other than they are HUGE.  

Jul 11, 23 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Jul 11, 23 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Get that war money while the gettn' is good is what I always say.

Jul 11, 23 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Chad, if the company in charge of rebuilding a country is a American company, and not a local one, that would lead me to ask a shit ton of questions.

Jul 11, 23 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I mean, sure we can bag on AECOM for this, but I am pretty sure NONE of the larger US (or even European) firms would flinch to start "rehabilitation" works. Wasnt Norman Foster in Mariupol earlier this year?

Jul 11, 23 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Is Blackrock involved in perpetuating the war in Ukraine?

Jul 11, 23 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Yes. Blackrock is heavy into all of the military industrial complex.

Jul 11, 23 8:43 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Btw Beta, now sure if anything could have been done by the US to avoid the war, but I feel that the US involvement could have been way lesser that it is right now.

Jul 12, 23 10:02 am  · 
 · 

bta - thanks for the info. 

Upon further research I found that Blackrock Market Advisory is providing support services to the Ukraine Development Fund. The main goal of the fund's creation is to attract private and public capital for implementing large-scale business projects in Ukraine.

It's unethical for AECOM to be involved.   

Then again every major investment company in the US is involved in some way with the Ukraine war.  If you have a 401k or IRA you're part of these companies and thus supporting the war.  

Jul 12, 23 10:14 am  · 
2  · 
curtkram

it seems like blackrock is making money off rebuilding ukraine, but a quick google doesn't seem to show that they're making money off blowing up ukraine. do you have a source to show their involvement in selling arms or escalating the war or anything like that?

Jul 13, 23 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so, whose big idea was it to remove comment option from Ricky’s manifesto thread? I need to know who to send flowers to because my day was extra productive without the likely dumpster fire distraction. 

Jul 11, 23 5:26 pm  · 
5  · 

I'm surprised it wasn't removed.

Jul 11, 23 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
proto

This was better; he can’t complain about getting silenced. They just sandboxed him.

Jul 12, 23 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Good news from Colorado

Prohibit Professional Discipline For Marijuana

Concerning a prohibition on a regulator imposing discipline against a person based on certain activities involving marijuana.

Jul 12, 23 2:34 pm  · 
4  · 

I just saw that. Your employer can still choose to fire you for using marijuana though.

Jul 12, 23 5:43 pm  · 
2  · 
proto

Checking in from the UK today [checks watch]…uh early morning for west coast home time

Same old same old…

I always pretend it’s just an accent but in some ways it’s anther language. I went in to a hardware store today and didn’t recognize any of the terms. Shop clerk who helped me was amused…:) The bank clerk I chatted with was “excited to talk to an American!” :) 

Jul 13, 23 6:35 am  · 
2  · 
Bench

I found that after about 6 months living there I had already slipped into using British colloquialisms. Never picked up any accent but the speech patterns were definitely there; family and friends noticed it immediately on the first visit back home.

Jul 13, 23 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Nice to see Rick's ridiculous tirade in the NCARB sanctions thread was nuked. Thanks BGH!

Jul 13, 23 8:22 am  · 
1  ·  1

I'm sorry I missed it?

Jul 13, 23 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Oh you're not.

Jul 13, 23 12:00 pm  · 
2  · 
vado retro

Fancy Graphics Lovers, I am still alive.

Jul 13, 23 5:07 pm  · 
9  · 

Sorry but I have no idea who you are. That doesn't mean you're not fancy and fantastic though. Welcome back?

Jul 13, 23 6:16 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Vado is th...shit. Godfather.

Jul 13, 23 6:24 pm  · 
6  · 
abracadabra

all the way from the influential and world-famous times of archinect's forum. maximum respect!

Jul 13, 23 8:12 pm  · 
6  · 
citizen

I feel like we should've straightened up or something....

Jul 13, 23 8:20 pm  · 
4  · 

::shoves x-jla's posts under the bed:: Hi vado! Don't mind the mess.

Jul 14, 23 11:20 am  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Welcome back Vado!

Jul 15, 23 12:10 am  · 
 · 

Hey guys, anyone got any good advice for getting into architectural videography and photography? 

Jul 14, 23 1:22 pm  · 
 · 

I'm listening to the architect serial murderer press conference live. They got 'im. *So much* evidence.

Jul 14, 23 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
pandahut

Seems to be all circumstantial right now but very damning. Glad that these guys kept digging and hope they got the right guy!

Jul 14, 23 5:21 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This is what happens when you go full Patrimetric.

Jul 14, 23 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Donna, I don't know if you ever met Tania Lopez, who was friends with the Indy MCM people, but she moved to New York and worked the crime beat in Suffolk County for Newsday. Now she is the Director of Communications for the Suffolk County D.A.s office.

Jul 14, 23 6:20 pm  · 
2  · 
sameolddoctor

Vado is back!

Jul 15, 23 12:09 am  · 
1  · 

I don't recall ever meeting Tania.

Jul 24, 23 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Taylor Swift

Now this, is fucking cool.

Jul 14, 23 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

I’m kind of a Swifty, even though I’m a metal head. I get the hype, she’s talented as hell.

Anyway, dropping in a “holy crap things are moving slower than expected and I’m scared as hell” with the whole going out on my own thing. Thoughts of abandoning the dream swirling around a bit. 

Jul 18, 23 3:43 pm  · 
4  · 
archanonymous

Don't give up hope Josh, FWIW I've heard crickets after flexing my "network" as hard as I possibly can to try to pick up contract work or small projects that might be passed on by other firms. Maybe its just a slow time. Or maybe I'm a terrible architect with a bad reputation. Who knows - easy to swing between thinking either or both when you are out on your own.

Jul 20, 23 11:34 pm  · 
3  · 
proto

it does take time -- stay patient and do parallel efforts (pro bono or volunteer somewhere or join a city club) to keep your brain from eating you. it will come

Jul 21, 23 5:20 am  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

If things are slow, it means something is about to happen. Go on vacation.

Jul 22, 23 8:12 am  · 
 · 

Dang it.  The stem on one of my mountain bike tire is leaking.  Now I'm stuck in the office waiting for the shop to fix it.  :(

Jul 21, 23 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
proto

That’s something worth learning to do yourself, if you ride much, no?
Jul 22, 23 4:10 am  · 
 · 

It is. The stem replacement is easy - just need the right tool. Replacing the tape on the rim is more difficult. I ride tubles and in five years this is the first time I've had issues. \

Jul 24, 23 9:56 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Might be a good call letting the shop deal with tubeless ... that shit can get insanely messy. I just set up my first pair a month ago, luckily some teammates work in the local high-end shop and showed me how to do it (read, did it while i watched)

Jul 24, 23 10:21 am  · 
 · 

That's what I did. The shop did it and I watched. ;) Turned out I had a tear in the tape at the stem. There is no way I want to mess with that.

Jul 24, 23 10:28 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: