Jun 3, 22 12:39 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Inventive and funny!

Jun 3, 22 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

"Detail-loving architects can turn timber from a material into a career"

Oh! All my life, I wanted to love me a detail.
Never gone too much beyond 2x4s and stuff.
timber! drywall said, come in,
I'll give you shelter from the dying forest

(blame vado retro on this one, Post History (106 total) Comment History (14733 total)

Jun 5, 22 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Read to the tune of this... obviously.

Jun 5, 22 10:32 pm  · 
1  · 
proto

@wood guy, are Pretty Good House books getting close to shipping?

Jun 6, 22 4:27 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Yes, they are supposed to ship on or about 6/28. https://www.tauntonstore.com/pretty-good-house

Jun 6, 22 4:34 pm  · 
2  · 
axonapoplectic

Anyone else’s office still understaffed? I feel like a lot of people are hoping for a recession so we can get a break, but I am not seeing signs of one. 

Jun 7, 22 10:59 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

hells yes... and we just lost another staff to a cushy gov gig. Getting the same info from my colleagues too.

Jun 7, 22 11:01 am  · 
 · 
proto

We've slowed down. Clients are bumping into the construction estimates/costs & pumping the brakes. Our jobs aren't big enough to convince them to keep designing in anticipation of the cycle's eventual downturn. I had a full plate at the beginning of May with multiple projects heading into DD & have seen projects go on hold one by one. Still billable for now, but anticipating shifting to marketing in July/Aug.

Jun 7, 22 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Yes, we've been hiring like crazy but everyone is still swamped. In the meantime, everyone is jumping around looking for more money/greener pastures which doesn't help.

Jun 7, 22 11:59 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

It's because people like me (as shitty of an architect as I may be) are still living in their van down by the river rather than contribute to the utter disgrace that is the practice of contemporary architecture. 

How long can I continue to post on archinect while living in my van? Who knows!? I figure if we still allow Miles the artist here, I've got a good couple of years of relevance (or at least shit posting) left in me.

Jun 7, 22 12:08 pm  · 
4  · 
SneakyPete

You're bad at shit posting. I can't recall a single shit post you've made.

Jun 7, 22 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

as long as the NFT jive is kept on a sturdy (short) chain, then we'll all be fine... except for the fools who bought into that, but who cares about them and their jesus dollars.

Jun 7, 22 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

We're slowing down as well. The issues are a combination of small mountain town politics and high construction costs.

Jun 7, 22 2:55 pm  · 
1  · 
nabrU

If anyone is in need of an opinionated (but can overlook my post history) graphic / visual communicator who gives a damn about quality architecture and cares about the built environment then please give me a shout. Can do bid submission monkey do stuff but would rather avoid so, I'm far more interested in total design project documentation as 70% of the role. 30% on bids and winning work. Good track record in that 30% though, we would win a lot of projects.

Jun 7, 22 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Do I think NFTs are ethical? No. Do I think it’s a pyramid scheme? Most likely.

I think what OP did was probably exploitative - but who did he exploit? Dumb people with a lot of money? I have no idea where this money is coming from or who is buying these things.

https://ethics.org.au/hype-and-hypocrisy-the-high-ethical-cost-of-nfts/ 

Jun 7, 22 6:07 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Shsssssss, don’t tell him that or else he’ll unleash his army of blind Twitter follows on you.

Jun 7, 22 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I also don’t see how much of what we do day to day is any different than what he did. He just got in at the right time. There are definitely risks if you don’t know what you are doing.

Jun 7, 22 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Are NFTs unethical because of the energy costs of making/mining/blockchaining (or whatever) them? Or is there some other reason?

Jun 8, 22 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Donna, sorta yes. Loads of power is required to make the magic behind them but the real issue is the pump and sell tech-bro mentality. People are only buying them because other people are buying them so best you buy low and jack the price up (while also promoting them ad nauseum).

Jun 8, 22 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Everyone involved in selling / trading NFT's admit it's all bullshit and that only select few will ever make any money on it. The same people admit that they are actually worthless and the bubble will bust causing 99% of people involved with them to loose all the money tied up in them.

Jun 8, 22 4:45 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

The Twitter presence of crypto stans is significant. I think there's at least a correlation there.

Jun 8, 22 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

Alexander, Let me guess . . . 

All of your original NFT's are sold. 

Those original NFT's are still being traded / sold. 

You own some of those original NFT's as such you have a amount of your money still in Crypto. 

Some Crypto has recently loss a large a amount of their value.

Since older NFT's are worth more money you're actively trying to 'hype' up your original NFT's to increase the value of the ones you own

Jun 9, 22 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Does anyone know how to contact support for the  forums? I sent a message to Paul but got no response. 

Jun 9, 22 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Post comments about it's possible for non admins to learn the real names of Archinect users and the big green head will appear.

Jun 9, 22 11:56 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Sure, Chad. IF THAT'S YOUR REAL NAME! ;)

Jun 9, 22 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

You'll never know! Well you could - it's really easy . . .

Jun 9, 22 3:43 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Whatever it is, it was not me. I’ve been on site all day so I get to ignore all the calls and emails!

Jun 9, 22 4:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sneaky, you can contact me through my profile and give me a general outline - no personal info - of your issue and I can try to contact Big Green Head about it on our moderator channel.

Jun 9, 22 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Thanks Donna. Sent.

Jun 9, 22 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Just send it Jlax, he'll post it, and it will get flagged.

Jun 9, 22 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

What are you all talking about? I feel like a child who's wondered into the middle of a conversation.

Jun 10, 22 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Our favorite Scandinavian elite plan enthusiast is back!

Jun 10, 22 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Oh - you mean the copycat wannabe architect? I just saw that.

Jun 10, 22 11:05 am  · 
1  · 

Nothing is ok. Not a single goddam thing is ok. How are we all doing this, going to work and paying the mortgage and using our turn signals when NOTHING is ok?!

Jun 13, 22 7:42 am  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I agree, down with signaling! Why do I need to advertise my intended direction to the world? Anybody can be behind me and they will know where I'm going. Signaling is the new targeted adverting!... but seriously tho... should I turn on the news? What happened now?

(was looking for squirrel waterskiing gif... decided on this instead).

Jun 13, 22 8:04 am  · 
 · 
z1111

It's insanity. A large portion of the population is living in an alternate reality. Traitors are patriots, guns don't kill people, men should make decisions regarding women's health, climate change is a hoax. Lunacy has a currency never seen before. Without faith and hope that things will somehow get better it is pretty hard to get up in the morning.

Jun 13, 22 9:07 am  · 
1  · 
tintt

I hear you, Donna. I’m not ok either. I’ve had a stomach ache for 1.5 months from stress. I can’t eat anymore, no appetite. This is insane.

Jun 13, 22 9:14 am  · 
1  · 

I'm just waiting for the global recession to hit and the crappy projects I'll have to take because of it.

Jun 13, 22 10:13 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ya'll just upset your bitcoin portfolio tanked last night.

Jun 13, 22 10:18 am  · 
 · 

I'm pissed my NFT didn't sell for one billion dollars.

Jun 13, 22 10:24 am  · 
 · 
tintt

My AC went out, coinciding with record high temps. My backup AC (window unit) went out too. It was snowing what like 3 weeks ago.

Jun 13, 22 11:50 am  · 
 · 

My insulin producing cells on my pancreases went out 34 years ago and gave me Type 1 Diabetes. My thyroid got cancer and had to be removed. Part of my acromion (shoulder) didn't fuse correctly and needed to be screwed together.  I have bullet shrapnel in my other 'good' shoulder.  I wear bifocals.  

All of these things make every aspect of my life very difficult. Well maybe not the glasses but they are annoying. The thing to remember is that some people have it much, much worse.  Keep that in mind when initially dealing with people.  

Jun 13, 22 3:17 pm  · 
1  · 
tintt

I have other difficulties besides no AC, Chad so don’t worry about that.

Jun 13, 22 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
tintt

I have other difficulties besides no AC, Chad so don’t worry about that.

Jun 13, 22 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

z1111, your phrase “Lunacy has a currency never seen before” is exactly right and so terrible. And to be clear: overall for me things are good, I love my job, my family is wonderful, we’re all healthy (tho we’re waiting on results of a tumor in my dad’s liver so I’m worried about that), my son is thriving in college. But I’m literally surrounded by people who are working their asses off and yet barely surviving and the systems that might help them are so labyrinthine and remote that they might as well not exist. Children get killed every day by morons driving their penis-replacement trucks not *just* aggressively but also cluelessly, and the marketing departments at the car companies (and every other consumer good ) encourage this anti-social attitude in the name of freedom or independence or whatever. We DO NOT have a society in the US.

Jun 14, 22 5:44 am  · 
1  · 

Like seriously: what if we had a public service campaign encouraging people that driving safely and politely was good? The car companies would fight it because it might depress sales and the freedumb lovers would claim it infringes their “free speech” rights to be forced to use a turn signal and the climate deniers would claim it’s part of the “woke green agenda” and people would scream and politicians would fundraise off either fighting or supporting it and the result would be not a single person would drive more carefully. We’re a broken culture.

Jun 14, 22 5:49 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, you could apply that to so many aspects of American life. What if people cared for (or at least watched out for) their fellow citizens? I suppose that's the most basic requirement for a functioning society + a collective desire to participate in one. I don't feel that here anymore. Going to move my van down by the river to a river in Europe, I can't take it here any longer.

Jun 14, 22 6:06 am  · 
1  · 

tintt wrote:

"I have other difficulties besides no AC, Chad so don’t worry about that"

Sorry to hear this.  The important thing is to remember that other people can and do have it much worse.  We need to keep this in mind when initially dealing with people.  AKA - they could be having a really bad day. 

Jun 14, 22 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, it could be worse... you could be my client who just heard back from a supplier that they made an error on their order. They forgot to account for the currency exchange. Well, that's a quick 200k extra to the budget.

Jun 14, 22 11:53 am  · 
 · 

$200K I have. It's time I don't have much of.

Jun 14, 22 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

I was in a shitty frame of mind already, then this LITERAL NAZI coffee roaster popped up in my feed. It’s brazen.  And I feel like they’re winning. 

Jun 13, 22 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

For Hitchen's sake.... Donna, I thought this would be a Onion type gag. You're saying this jive is a real thing? https://nitter.zelcore.io/AboveTimeCoffee

Jun 13, 22 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

They grow coffee in Deutschland?

Jun 13, 22 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

I should point out that I had coffee with a young architecture intern this morning and they remined me that young people today are often not willing to put up with bullshit "we've always done it this way" logic so that did give me some hope. Assuming this person can graduate and pursue work in social justice, as is their goal (and the goal of hundreds of thousands of other young people too), without being completely chewed up and spit out by student debt, inability to buy a house, lack of health care etc. etc. etc. it's possible that some things can improve?

Jun 14, 22 10:18 am  · 
3  · 

I'm 44 years old with around 18 years experience in the field. The explanation of 'we've always done it this way' has NEVER been a valid explanation as to why something was done. 

Jun 14, 22 11:24 am  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

burying this in here instead of a separate thread but looks like poaching season is in full force. Office ownership suddenly decided to have staff retention meetings/wage increase/perk review. How’s the water temp elsewhere?

Jun 15, 22 7:44 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Well I just received yet another desk call from a recruiter so ... probably gives an indication. Honey, if you can't say my name correctly over the phone when greeting me (which, to be clear, is truly an easy name to say) - you should be finding another line of work.

Ive also noticed they are creating their company names to pass as actual engineer/architect consultants to get around our front desk screening. "XYZ Architects and Engineers" sure sounds like any generic consultant i might have on my projects; turns out they conveniently leave out the last "Recruitment" part of the name at the front desk. Shocker.

Jun 15, 22 9:21 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I've given enough shit to recruiters who cold-call me that I'm sure I've been black-listed but Bench, perhaps the recruiter was a Habs fan and begrudgingly called you? I've also noticed a trend in the poacher's company names.

Jun 15, 22 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Things are actually slowing down here. I'm only getting 2-3 headhunters a month via email. The cold calls to my office have stopped. I guess nobody loves me. :(

Jun 15, 22 10:31 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Our office hired someone to specifically work on employee retention. I think our issue is that we are mostly getting poached by GCs and ownership (less hours better pay), not so much other architecture firms (less pay same hours, same staffing shortage issues). More pay would be nice, but I need support staff and less stuff on my plate.

Jun 15, 22 11:23 am  · 
1  · 

I couldn't work for a GC - no design work. I wonder what types of owners you have that need architects - are they developers?

Jun 15, 22 11:27 am  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

We lose Revit staff to GCs - usually big national/international construction companies - the pay is better, especially if you’re more junior. Ownership side is working for a developer or property manager (sometimes different wings in same org, or for a large university, hospital, etc).

Jun 15, 22 3:43 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

We’ve also had a couple people that I know of go to work for owner’s reps… I’ve worked with plenty of people on the developer side who were licensed architects - who did everything between prelim in house tenant fit outs to project management to long term strategy.

Jun 15, 22 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the explanation axo! I appreciate it.

Jun 15, 22 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

I've let it be known to all the headhunters that call me that I'd only be interested in jumping ship for a very specific type of position, so the e-mails and calls have slowed down. Amusingly, since my job title is "Senior Technical Architect" and I work for a big engineering company that does software and IT stuff in addition to AEC, I get a lot of calls looking for a software "architect" - it's gotten so annoying that I now regularly troll them by asking the same questions I would of an architectural recruiter, then acting confused when they don't understand the questions.

Jun 15, 22 6:37 pm  · 
1  · 

Anyone here have recommendations for an online or app based work / task timer? 

I'm trying to find something to help me keep better track of all the projects I'm working on. 

Jun 15, 22 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I've tried several but keep coming back to plain old Excel. I keep my "time card" open and I fill it in whenever I change gears. It's also where I track mileage and minor job-related expenses.

Jun 15, 22 11:47 am  · 
2  · 

I'm thinking of that myself. The old paper time sheet so to speak.

Jun 15, 22 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
proto

We use Harvest (it might be more than you need)

Jun 15, 22 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^great album.

Jun 15, 22 12:28 pm  · 
2  ·  1

Thanks for the info proto! That looks like a good product! 

I should of been more clear - I'm looking for a free time tracking app. It doesn't have to interface with anything or handle billing.

Jun 15, 22 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

everhour

Jun 15, 22 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

b3ta... why the hate for Neil? them thumbs down be snowball fight'n words. Just wait for the snow to fall... and assemble your crew.

Jun 16, 22 9:09 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

We'll have none of your Canadian rockers, until we acknowledge Gordie was one of the best song writers. RIP.

Jun 16, 22 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You can have Celine tho.

Jun 16, 22 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

What about Nickelback?

Jun 16, 22 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

nickelback never existed. you just believe they do... and there is no evidence.  

Jun 16, 22 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 

I can't forgive Neil for dumping his wife of many Decade(s) and mother of his children to marry Darryl Hannah (?!?!) but the impact of his 70's recordings is huge in my life.

Jun 17, 22 8:59 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Harvest Moon was our wedding song.

Jun 17, 22 10:07 am  · 
1  · 

Ours was 'Far Away' by Nickelback.

Jun 17, 22 10:32 am  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

It's ok Chad, we had a Lincoln Park song as ours.   \m/

Jun 17, 22 10:55 am  · 
 · 

We also had the 'Humpty Dance' at ours. One of my college buddies raped the entire song. :)

Jun 17, 22 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Chad, here's my template in case you find it helpful. Under "task," I put the design phase, specific task and a list of times when I start and stop, then I manually add the time under Hours. Sub-hours are for my design consultants. (I'm a pretty small and simple operation!) I fill in Date for every day, even when I'm not working, so I can quickly check my 7-day total to see if I'm meeting my target for billable hours.

Jun 15, 22 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm having fun with this Alexander / DesignBot2022 guy.  

Jun 15, 22 5:56 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Bench

Was Rick not banned from here? We're going down the same rabbit holes, just with a new 'id'

Jun 16, 22 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nah, only selective bans based on specific thread subjects. He's rather tame with the crypto bro wanker. I expected more.

Jun 16, 22 9:01 am  · 
 · 

Honestly I think we've all been rather tame with the crypto wanker.

Jun 16, 22 10:01 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Are you certain design bot is a sock puppet?

Jun 16, 22 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Yes. 

If you click on the link in the NFT thread you'll see that DesignBot2022 is Alexanders user name. In another thread DesignBot2022 even told me to google his name to find his website and see examples of his work. Guess where it leads - to Alexanders website with his NFT's and the video he previously linked.  

The fool outed his sock puppet account twice by is own hand.  

Jun 16, 22 12:26 pm  · 
2  · 
square.

this is some impressive sleuthing. well done.

Jun 16, 22 2:18 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Quiet you, don't change the tunes on the jukebox.

Jun 16, 22 2:31 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Quiet you, don't change the tunes on the jukebox.

Jun 16, 22 2:31 pm  · 
SneakyPete

I'm not seeing it.

Jun 16, 22 2:40 pm  · 
 · 

There is an easy way to prove me wrong Alexander. Have DesignBot2022 provide a link to his / her work. I'm always willing to be proven wrong.

Jun 16, 22 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Feel free to laugh if I am incorrect. I have no issue with that. I will apologize to everyone for my error. It sure seems that DB and your accounts are linked..

Jun 16, 22 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

So you found evidence that you are DB22? ;)

Jun 16, 22 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
square.

spoken like a nft bro's ego

Jun 16, 22 3:58 pm  · 
2  · 

DB22 could be another troll trying to mimic Alexander. I mean the account was attempting to mimic a bot in the beginning so it's possible. The related search links between Alexander's website, the thread he started, and DB22's username are hard to ignore though.

Jun 16, 22 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

Since DB22 isn't willing to disclose his identity or work publicly I'm not going to dox him by providing the evidence. It would make his identity known. If you like I can PM you the info. Again I could be wrong, another reason for not exposing DB22's identity.

Jun 16, 22 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Ok. Bro. Wait bro..bro...

Jun 16, 22 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Looks like DesignBot2022 got the boot by the Big Green Head.  

I'm bummed.  I wanted to see his work.  

Jun 17, 22 10:39 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Definitely not. Unless this is the longest con with no satisfaction ever.

Jun 19, 22 10:06 pm  · 
1  · 

It's going to be hot this weekend in the Grand Valley (Western Colorado)   Predictions are to break 105 F with rain.  I can only assume the rain will be boiling . . . 

Jun 17, 22 12:56 pm  · 
1  · 
tintt

I’m sure it’s worse elsewhere.

Jun 19, 22 3:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Of course! I mean those unfortunate people living on the sun . . .

Jun 20, 22 10:08 am  · 
 · 
arhiarhi design group

The secret is in Dynamo dinamics. Look it up.

Jun 18, 22 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Are you going to pace yourself, or will you post on every thread?

Jun 18, 22 5:25 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

Ethereum has lost about half its value since the NFT thread started.

Jun 19, 22 7:27 am  · 
2  · 

You think Alexander will come back and defend how much money crypto has left in it?

Jun 20, 22 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

I have tennis elbow and have never played tennis.  

Jun 20, 22 10:09 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I have carpal tunnel and have never gone through a carpal tunnel.

Jun 20, 22 12:08 pm  · 
 · 

Weird huh?

Jun 20, 22 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Rough Times

Just a momentary bitch session: I helped out a neighbor. Now they keep coming back to me CONSTANTLY asking for more help. I'm fucking sick of it. But my self-esteem is such that if I say no I will beat myself up FOR WEEKS over not doing enough, not being grateful enough. I'm uncomfortable in my own home because I feel like I'm being spied on and any time I'm home someone is knocking on the door asking for help. But then I think of myself needing help in the future wouldn't I want them to help me? don't I want to live in a world where neighbors help each other? but it's also in my nature to NEVER ask for help - I seriously almost never do - because if I put someone else out I hate myself even more.

It's rough times, ya'll. I need a therapist. 

Jun 20, 22 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

For $50 I'll 'talk' to your neighbor and they'll leave you alone. ;)

Jun 20, 22 3:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Bench

You sound Canadian

Jun 20, 22 6:41 pm  · 
1  · 
Almosthip

Does he even offer you a beer? Or maybe next time he asks for help, ask if he has any beer 

Jun 22, 22 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Labatt 50!

Jun 22, 22 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rough Times

heading into the whole foods with my mask on not for health reasons but because I don’t want to have to control my facial expressions in here. I am toxic right now.

Jun 20, 22 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

I know things are rough right now but you got this! You can get through this.

Jun 20, 22 4:26 pm  · 
1  · 
Rough Times

I honestly don’t know if I can. I’m gonna see if I can revive the mental health thread.

Jun 22, 22 6:58 am  · 
 · 

This Anonymous AF guy - what's going on?  I want to be civil and respectful but I'm getting some Ricky type vibes from the guy.  

Jun 20, 22 4:29 pm  · 
1  · 

To be clear - this isn't meant as an insult. I just don't want to unintentionally get someone riled up.

Jun 20, 22 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

He's a long time poster from way back. Either got nuked or nuked themselves. Unique personality, and polarizing. Also was named DesignBot before they changed their name.

Jun 20, 22 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Really? That is the new version of DesignBot2022?

Jun 20, 22 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Welcome to the wacky world of Archinect, where a sly change of username alters the entire interaction between two people.

Jun 20, 22 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, do the initials DC right any bells?

Jun 20, 22 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

NS - nope.  Who's DC?

Jun 20, 22 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Sneaky - I'm all for treating people with respect unless they show they shouldn't be.

Jun 20, 22 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I ain't here to referee.

Jun 20, 22 7:19 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

Yes, Non, loud and clanging alarm bells. Do not summon him forth, or it'll be on your head.

Jun 20, 22 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, see our conversation here.  Specifically Dec 04, 2019.

Jun 20, 22 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^thats a far better topic than half of the thesis that get posted here.

Jun 21, 22 6:12 am  · 
 · 

Oh so he's that jackass! Good to know.

Jun 21, 22 11:07 am  · 
1  · 
Rough Times

Wow. DC had completely disappeared from my brain. I’d forgotten that era of the Forums. It was all really really good the suddenly got really really bad.

Jun 22, 22 5:59 am  · 
 · 

So DC is like 'he who shall not be named'? Do people need to find the seven horcruxes to defeat him? Do we have any idea what / where the horcruxes are?

Jun 24, 22 10:08 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm so going to enjoy nuking this place.

Jun 23, 22 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

?

Jun 23, 22 10:37 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

My jobby.

Jun 23, 22 12:07 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Ah, I thought you meant this forum.

Jun 23, 22 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There was some early morning nuking in the mental TC discussion tho.

Jun 23, 22 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Seriously, why isnt rick still banned? Those last posts are going straight down the same rabbit hole of that illegal community theater he designed / did not design years back.

Jun 24, 22 7:52 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Somebody's still counting CMUs to find the exact height

Jun 24, 22 9:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Poor kangaroos.

Jun 24, 22 10:40 am  · 
1  · 
proto

i am angry & ashamed as an american this morning — we live in a regressive society effectively ruled by a motivated, progress-blocking, willfully-ignorant minority

fuck

Jun 24, 22 10:59 am  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

The minority has taken over. Next up: reconsidering the legality of same-sex marriage and mixed-race marriage. Fuck Republicans. Fuck the supreme court. Fuck you if you defend them.

The Constitution is not holy scripture; it was meant to be reinterpreted and adjusted as needed. This was well understood in the golden period of US history, but we are past that now.

Jun 24, 22 11:32 am  · 
7  · 
sameolddoctor

The minority has taken over, and the Dems, spineless as they are sitting around trying to stay in the game for November. Fuck em all.

Jun 24, 22 12:32 pm  · 
2  · 

Yeah. We're not a strong country any longer. We're barely a country. It was clear that Roe would be overturned the day Trump was declared winner of the election. Anyone who didn't think so was being willfully ignorant. And now: I honestly think within a decade we'll have had or be having a true civil war. It will be a domestic terrorism type of war, because the military would have to be called out both to fight and top protect both sides. But public bombings, rounding up of citizens by militias, inability to walk in public without threat of attack by the other side - these things are on our doorstep, I am certain of it.

Jun 24, 22 1:10 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I hope not, I want my baby to see the good in the world being greater than the bad. :(

Jun 24, 22 1:37 pm  · 
1  · 

I do too, both for your baby and my (19yo) baby too, Pete. but I don't have much hope.

Jun 24, 22 2:24 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

At the very least we will be raising a strong woman who will have strong opinions and no fear about making change where she sees fit.

Jun 24, 22 2:38 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

I can't wait to hear x-lax explain how his continued defense of the GOP and also libertarianism fits with this development. I can already feel the blood dribbling out of my ears.

Jun 24, 22 2:41 pm  · 
4  · 
proto

as angry as i am, i have more hope than that, donna...i do not think we are destined for armed partisan battles, but we need to get the ambivalent motivated to vote in people who can create a super majority. moderacy does not exist currently. it will take time, esp w/ this scotus to overcome the damage done thus far.

Jun 24, 22 3:36 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The Civil War never really ended. We were in a Cold War, with proxy battles being waged by small minded religious and cultural theocrats.

Jun 24, 22 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
z1111

It should be clear that the goal is to create a fascist theocracy. They are coming after all of the progressive social changes of the past 100 years. They are anti democratic and un American. They need to be voted out of office and we need to pack the court.

Jun 24, 22 8:27 pm  · 
1  · 
z1111

Fuck them.

Jun 24, 22 8:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I’m on vacation and currently drinking a beer in the sun in my backyard patio. (It’s that rare time of year when there is no snow. Some call it summer, I think. To me it’s called not winter). Anyways, congrats on my m’erican friends for digging themselves deeper into the dark ages. Damn, why did I even look at international news today?  A very good friend of mine works wonders at Oxfam. I should probably check how they are doing. 

Jun 24, 22 1:42 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

It would be nice if the rest of the civilized world would take the lead on relaxing immigration requirements so people of like minds could travel to places they'd rather live. Instead we're stuck in this infested hell-hole of minority rule unless we can find some dead relative in a country that has archaic laws on the books.

Jun 24, 22 1:53 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Pete, you can pitch a tent in my yard if you want.

Jun 24, 22 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

There's no path to citizenship in Canada for me or my family.

Jun 24, 22 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can’t say I really understand the struggle down south Pete, but all I know is I have 2 good friends in medicine looking to move here. Willing to drop half-mil usd salaries for whatever our dirty communist gov is willing to give them. Sad thumbs up.

Jun 24, 22 3:10 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

Not much to understand. Hard to win a game when someone is cheating.

Jun 24, 22 3:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Bench

I suspect today has shortened my time in the Land of Theocracy. And people seem surprised when I tell them I most certainly do not want a green card here. Buddy, I'm surprised you're surprised.

What I'd really like to see is an exodus of high-skilled immigrants to Canada and other more appealing democracies - taking their innovation and entrepreneurship with them.

NS - keep a list of colleagues you might know that are hiring in the near future. Who knows when I might need introductions at this rate.

Jun 24, 22 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bench, I can certainly help you with that.

Jun 24, 22 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Everyone has a "click:" moment. Mine was when Uvalde happened, even though there had been many other mass shootings in the US before. The sight of 80 fat texas rangers standing outside the classroom waiting for keys did something to me. It was all downhill from there, call it a moment of disillusionment. A government that does not do anything for helpless babies cant be trusted to do anything for women who give birth to babies. 

Time to knit more pussy hats and do more marches that will achieve absolutely nothing.

Jun 24, 22 7:48 pm  · 
3  · 
z1111

SOD the door was unlocked, they had shields and long guns.

Jun 24, 22 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
z1111

And no balls.

Jun 24, 22 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

I've heard that Canada has its own problems with the prejudiced right, although I have no lived experience there to prove that, so I guess I can take it with a grain of salt.

My only hesitancy to move is that I already have my license here in the US, and I'm almost entirely incompetent with Metric (beyond the basic notions of how the measurements relate to each other).

Jun 27, 22 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Metric isn't difficult, the absolute logic of its system means learning it doesn't require any conversions that aren't base 10. The only reason I haven't is because I haven't needed to, so I forget quickly after a personal project that uses it.

I also didn't even try to convert to Imperial. That made it so much harder than just learning it relative to my body.

Jun 27, 22 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

Supreme Court set to overturn power of EPA on Monday. This will have far reaching implications for every single federal regulation that impacts our industry. Stuff like ADA, fair housing act, OSHA, etc… would be left up to individual states. Basically will make the federal government toothless in any kind of enforcement or oversight into public safety and welfare.

Jun 24, 22 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
z1111

Vote them out, get rid of the filibuster, and pack the court.

Jun 24, 22 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
z1111

One more thing. Fuck them.

Jun 24, 22 8:40 pm  · 
3  · 
axonapoplectic

Overturning roe v wade isn’t the icing on the cake for these guys. It’s essentially the balkanization of the US. Good luck running a company based in multiple states.

Jun 24, 22 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

for what it's worth, republicans created ADA, so i assume the right will continue to protect that.

Jun 26, 22 9:28 am  · 
 · 
z1111

No they won't. That is not who they are now.

Jun 26, 22 9:43 am  · 
1  · 
z1111

Cruelty is their guiding principal.

Jun 26, 22 9:48 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

It seems to me that for the most part, selfishism is their guiding principal, and cruelty is side effect. But I definitely know others who thrive on "owning the libs," regardless of the consequences.

Jun 26, 22 2:21 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

curt, you mean the 1,000 Points of Light guy, the guy no Republican today would cite as a Republican, that guy? These Republicans will respect what that guy signed into law?

Jun 26, 22 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

bob dole played a big part as i recall. a lot of republicans are getting older and can't get around as easy, so keeping ada might help the selfish narrative as well.

Jun 26, 22 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Curt, they tend to have money. Money tends to remove those kinds of barriers. I predict we'll continue to see a lot of "fuck you I got mine"

Jun 26, 22 9:16 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

"Fuck you I got mine" is their rallying cry for everything.

Jun 27, 22 8:57 am  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

SCOTUS
Jun 25, 22 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

This tickled my funny bone.

Jun 27, 22 2:26 pm  · 
3  · 
z1111

The Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) is a multi-division exam used to assess your knowledge and skills regarding the practice of architecture. The current version of the exam, ARE 5.0, is developed by NCARB and features six divisions. Completing ARE 5.0 by passing all six divisions is required by all U.S. jurisdictions as a key step on the path to earning a license.

The ARE is designed to assess aspects of architectural practice related to health, safety, and welfare. Specifically, the ARE focuses on areas that affect the integrity, soundness, and health impact of a building, as well as an architect’s responsibilities within firms, such as managing projects and coordinating the work of other professionals.

Find answers to frequently asked questions about ARE 5.0.

Jun 27, 22 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
z1111

As you prepare to take the ARE, NCARB is here to help with study tools and resources to guide you through the process. The exam features six divisions, and each division includes multiple item types, as well as case studies. Learn more about the exam’s format.

ARE 5.0 Divisions
Each ARE 5.0 division covers a different aspect of current architectural practice. Explore each division to learn more about the content covered:

Practice Management
Project Management
Programming & Analysis
Project Planning & Design
Project Development & Documentation
Construction & Evaluation
We also offer a number of tools and resources you can use to prepare for the exam, including:

ARE 5.0 Guidelines
With the migration to PSI, the ARE Handbook has been merged with the ARE Guidelines. This document includes all policies and procedures for taking the ARE, as well as information about the content covered in each division of the exam. These Guidelines are now available with the official launch of PSI.

ARE 5.0 Community
Whether you have a test question, are looking for a study group, or need help from NCARB’s experts, the ARE 5.0 Community is the place to be.

ARE 5.0 Practice Exam Dashboard and Demo Exam
NCARB has released free, full-length practice exams for each division of ARE 5.0. You can find these in your Practice Exam Dashboard, which is located on the "Exams" tab of your NCARB Record. You can take each practice exam in test mode, which mimics a real appointment, or practice mode, which provides the correct response and rationale for each item as you go. You'll receive a score report after each practice test, so you can compare results and see where you need to focus before taking the real exam.

If you don't have active exam eligibilities, you can still practice the exam's format, navigation, and tools with our free demo exam.

Test Run for Online-Proctored Exams
Schedule a free, 30-minute trial appointment with PSI to confirm your computer and testing space meet the requirements for online proctoring.

ARE 5.0 Test Prep Video Series
Our video prep series offers exclusive insight into each ARE 5.0 division with information on content, sample questions, and suggested references.

Approved Test Prep Provider Program
Expand your collection of study materials with these NCARB-approved resources.

ARE Update
Want to stay on top of the latest exam news? Subscribe to our ARE Updates for important reminders, study resources, and more.

NCARB Blog
Our blog is full of helpful study tips and details about the exam, plus inspirational success stories and advice from recently licensed architects.

Jun 27, 22 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
z1111

Pointless wall of text added for context.

Jun 27, 22 3:22 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

As a tool, I'd like to point out...

Jun 27, 22 3:44 pm  · 
1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hammer meet fontanel.

Jun 27, 22 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
proto

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/wrongful-death-lawsuit-architecture-firm-colleen-ritzer-family-move-forward/

Architect sued for a faulty security sys at a school? …seems a stretch, no? [unfortunately, not a ton of detail…]

Jun 28, 22 12:41 am  · 
 · 

Without any detail... seems thin. Usually, these systems only work properly when staff are trained to maintain and operate them over time. Not to mention, (also without any detail), I don't see how a security system would have much to do with both the murderer and his victim both already being within the school itself.

Jun 28, 22 7:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: