Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

Of course this week grinds to a slow end leaving  me with a sea shanty stuck in my head. WTF.

Jan 15, 21 10:00 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

Been watching too much Colbert.

· 
liberty bell

No, it’s everywhere! I swear early this week McMansion Hell did a sea shanty tweet and then I heard about sea shanties every day including NPR talking about them Friday night WTF?

1  · 
curtkram

I have seen the sea shanty trend as well, so i don't think it's just you . i think it started on tik tok

2  · 
atelier nobody

I wish it were sea shanties, not just 1000 versions of the same one.

1  · 

Gonna sing a sea shanty about being 100 lbs down. 

Jan 17, 21 12:06 pm  · 
12  · 
SneakyPete

You're looking great!

1  · 
Wood Guy

Wow, nice work, Josh!

1  · 
citizen

Envious kudos, Josh!

1  · 
citizen

And since I can't find any other fault to make me feel good about myself, might I point out the unmade bed? (Okay, a teensy bit better.)

1  · 

You’re not the first one to call me out for the unmade bed in most of my progress pictures.

2  · 
tduds

Why make the bed? You're just gonna get back in it tonight.

1  ·  1
SneakyPete

· 
SneakyPete

There's something relaxing about getting into a made bed.

2  · 

For Christmas I asked for and received a coverlet that is a line drawing of a map of Indianapolis. It is wonderfully centering to get into bed and see, on the map, exactly where I am at that moment as I get into bed. It reminds me of the Steven Wright joke about drawing a map of the US at 1:1 scale.

4  · 
SneakyPete

I love Steven Wright.

3  · 
atelier nobody

I read somewhere that it's actually better to leave the bed unmade, so the bedding airs out. At least, that's what I'm going with.

Looking good, Josh!

1  · 
tduds

Today's CA eyeroll: Received an RFI asking me to approve a submittal.

Jan 18, 21 1:54 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

I got something similar today as well. We're not involved in a large tenant fit-up, but we did the base-building (9 storey office building). Tenant GC sends me RFI on friday for a tenant required partition (it's rated therefore cannot be dealt with by the interior designers under contract by tenant). I then get another RFI this morning to call the GC about the RFI. Sorry bud our contract is with the landlord and I'm not jumping hoops to suit your schedule and without landlord approval of additional fees. RFI due date is this wednesday anyways.

1  · 
apscoradiales

You ought to be nice to the contractors. A day will come when they'll cover your ass. Teamwork man, teamwork! Can go a long way.

· 
Non Sequitur

Aps, for my situation, we are not under any obligation to answer this GC's questions. In order to answer them, we need the go-ahead from the landlord since it's the landlord that pays our bills. The RFI I've received requires a few stamped sketches as well as a modification to an existing building permit so it's not something that can be resolved with a simple phone call. Otherwise, under normal circumstances, I agree. I often try to negotiate with the GC when issues arise so that both parties look good in the eyes of the client (depending on who's fuck up we're talking about this time).

· 
tduds

It's a two way street. I have great rapport with plenty of contractors, but they gotta respect my time as well.

2  · 
curtkram

i'm ready for the day when a contractor covers my ass. i'm sure there are stories from the '70s when this happened.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

This happened to me once. Contractor submitted an RFI that to me, was clearly a wood truss submittal, and I said so I'm the response. Later on, because I "revised and resubmit" the thing, I got the resubmit, but curiously from a different supplier. I wrote my comments, and also put in the submission "see previous submission for additional comments". Meaning of course, that the contractor needed to review previous submittals, because you know they never review submittals themselves, and make note to the sub of the other comments...! Well, wouldn't you know, the parapet truss framing, was not per the contract documents, or the submittal comments. Assholes.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

for those interested, I just got another rfi for the same item. Apparently the trades are on site "waiting" for my response. Hummm, I guess no one told this GC the communication rules.

· 
apscoradiales

NS,

Time to review the path and process of communications at the next site meeting. Hopefully, with the Owner present.

Jan 19, 21 9:16 am  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Aps, that would be a great idea. The thing is, we’re only involved in case the fit up GC has questions about the built base-building (completed in 2016). They are asking, and trying to pressure us, to give them immediate details (at our cost since not authorized by landlord) that are significant life safety items & new construction. The funny thing is that even if the LL green lights our scope, they won’t get shit for several weeks since it will need to go to the city as amendment to a permit.    

· 
Non Sequitur

Communication rules ironed out. After 3 requests over 2 days, our client cleared out the confusion with his tenants' GC and what they (the GC) expected to be a detailed answer, turned out to just be a one-liner " please refer to drawing X, note Y" type email response. The bulk of the work is now in the court of those actually responsible for the scope.

1  · 

So a client of mine refuses to wear a mask at jobsite meetings and just tested positive for COVID.  His response - 'oh it's ok Chad, you always wore your mask'.  :(

Of course I now have a cold too.  Getting tested yet again this week.  Weeeee!

Jan 19, 21 10:36 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

effing a**holes

· 

If I get quarantined then I can't work from home - don't have a computer. I'll just have to take a leave of absence and the firm can pick up all my work.

· 
bowling_ball

You have no idea the security I have to pass to get into my sites. QR code --> confirmation text with identity --> online screening test --> entry. But it's worth it because I know I (probably) won't be standing next to a covidiot when I get inside.

1  · 
tduds

I would not go to a meeting with a maskless client.

2  · 
randomised

Holy shit, that’s awful! What an ass! I’m sure though your bosses will allow you, with your workload, to take your workstation home and work remotely...

· 
randomised

Hope the test came back negative.

· 
liberty bell

just a quick rant. I feel like since March there hasn’t been a single day when I didn’t feel my to do list was three times as long as I could possibly accomplish and still be able to sleep, or rest, or take care of my family, friends, and home, and we’re in the middle of a pandemic and a coup attempt and everyone still expects that everyone else can just drop everything to take care of *their* problem. Grrrrrr

Jan 19, 21 12:55 pm  · 
8  · 
liberty bell

And just to add to that, I have been hyper aware of how stressed out everyone is since March, so I have been incredibly forgiving of everyone else I come in contact with. You lost my pizza order? No problem I can wait. You forgot to send my tax form? No worries, just send it now. You left me on hold for 10 minutes? It’s OK we’ve all been there. Everyone is doing the best they can right now, except apparently they ALL aren’t because it seems like I’m the only one being patient?!

1  · 
tduds

I hear ya. The crushing anxiety of it all definitely ebbs and flows for me. This has been a good week.* The typical boundaries between work-life and home-life have blurred to the point of invisibility this year, & the best thing for me was to construct new boundaries. The most important thing you can do is fully unplug when you punch out. Work stays in my office, to the point that I'll leave my phone in the office to eat lunch in my dining room. When all else fails, there's long walks with the dog and evening hot tub beers. Finally, it should be more accepted that mental health is health and sick time for "mental health days" is absolutely yours to use. I constantly remind myself that there's only so much I can do and ther e is nothing in my job that's more important than my sanity.

(*He said, on Tuesday morning)

2  · 
liberty bell

Like, I don’t even have time to go to the bathroom. I’ve come to work without makeup this week because I ran out and haven’t had time to go to the drugstore to get any. And tomorrow at 1pm the whole country might collapse anyway.

· 
liberty bell

And I COULD have plenty of time to go to the bathroom if I didn’t spend 1/3 of my workday finding the correct online shared excel spreadsheet then uploading it to the two separate project management sites instead of just picking up the phone and calling someone to tell them the answer. I really hate contemporary practice.

2  · 
apscoradiales

Retirement! That's what I did. Fuck everything.

2  · 
liberty bell

And on top of it all I get a text update on my phone every day of how many Americans died of Covid that day. And my unhoused friend STILL can’t get a roof over her head, and yesterday was a new report that something like one quarter of American children live in food-insecure homes. And we’re all supposed to carry on as if everything is fine?!?!

· 
tduds

Hah, retirement. That's a good one.

2  · 
tduds

A few months ago I told my recently-retired dad that I'm too young to retire and he corrected me: "No, you're too poor to retire."

5  · 

I can confirm that being too poor to retire is definitely a thing. My dad (71) was basically forced to retire 5-6 years ago, but still has a part time job and probably will until he physically can't do it anymore.

· 
apscoradiales

The only people who have enough money (pensions) up in Canada are former government workers or as we call them civil service. If you worked for a private company or for yourself, you're fucked.

· 
bowling_ball

Liberty Bell, I want to give you permission to not take on the weight of the world. It's not necessary. Help out where you can, but infinite potential futures really doesn't need to live your head rent-free. Seriously - what possible effect could you have on the presidential transition tomorrow? About worldwide hunger? I know it's great to think big and we all want to contribute to making the world a better place, but there are thousands upon thousands of actual experts in those areas, who work on these problems full time. You'll go crazy trying to fix everything.

2  · 
tduds

b_b I know your heart is in the right place but as someone who struggles with anxiety, the suggestion that I can just "not think about" things beyond my control can come off as dismissive. I don't know Donna's feelings but it sounds like something similar.

If I could control them, they wouldn't be called emotions.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

googles "Hang in there cat" poster... but then realizes he hates cats. I honestly don't get how y'all deal with what going on within your borders. Every time I look at the news, whatever is currently bothering me disappears for a few minutes. With that said, I was almost livid last week when my 4y old's school called us to justify his absence from online learning...

2  · 
atelier nobody

NS, I wonder how many hits the Canadian Immigration (and New Zealand, Australia, UK, Ireland, Denmark, and Sweden) web site has gotten in the last few weeks. I certainly would have been checking if I hadn't already done my research about 4 years ago.

2  · 
SneakyPete

Architects are NOT desired in NZ...

· 

bowling_ball, my therapist has many times pointed out to me that I'm a narcissist if I think I can solve every problem in the world. I concede both - no, I can't fix all the problems in the world and yes, I'm still a narcissist about it.

3  · 
atelier nobody

I just have trust issues - I not sure I can solve every problem, but I'm pretty sure nobody else can.

2  · 
bowling_ball

I didn't mean to come across as insensitive and I'm sorry if I did. We all have our struggles and sometimes I need somebody to remind me that some things are out of my control. I live with somebody who struggles with similar feelings and I see the toll it takes on her. Not easy.

1  · 
tduds

No hard feelings! Like I said I know you mean well. For me, it doesn't matter a lick whether or not I have the power to influence something, sometimes I'm going to inexplicably fixate on it. I've developed some healthy (and some unhealthy) coping mechanisms over the past 35 years but that's anxiety for ya.

1  · 

Feeling significantly lighter today. Yesterday was rough.

Jan 20, 21 8:33 am  · 
11  · 
Non Sequitur

A good dump sure does wonders.

9  · 

let's not forget the real spiritual leader of the whole thing today.

Jan 20, 21 3:13 pm  · 
5  · 
tduds

4  · 

hand delivering a letter instead of wasting taxpayer's money >>> Chair of the Senate Budget Committee

3  · 
randomised

All I want to know is: Are his mittens connected with a rope through his sleeves?

3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know they are.

1  · 

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/06/bernie-sanders-civil-rights-movement-activism Bernie's clothing reflected that he still has a lot of youth in him. Just like he had since his Vietnam war era activism days with stylish protest clothing. He was and is a free-spirited intellectual who mastered politics to the humanistic ends and causes. I like the young groups he fostered in both houses and they are growing. It's time for America to have real leftists in Congress. I think the country needs it if just for a voice to be heard. Senator Sanders set the spirit of the democratic campaign and brought in the youth to vote Democrat for the right reasons such as the better distribution of wealth and wages, social justice, healthcare and housing, jobs, so on. Biden, a centrist, is lucky for being in the right place right time. The country needed a midfielder with a strong cv and he was there. His religious overtones are very American. IMO, he is trying to restore a romantic image of the American ethics and purity that was long gone, approx. Korean war and assassinations, followed by Vietnam, followed by Nixon, followed by being the crusader and the police everywhere in the world, and fast forward to this day as a big picture plus a plague. I am so glad Biden has a whole variety of good help around him. Bright modern and ambitious people. Democrats with the civil causes look very strong and I like some of the young politicians with Bernie's influence are under their umbrella now. Whether you like it or not, even though they are not talking about it loudly, social democrats won considerably this last election in the sea of a conservative and unique brand of American politics.

· 
Jaetten

living rural, is it practical for the professional in this industry. Any here live in rural locations!

Jan 24, 21 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I live in a town of about 1200, average of 30 per square mile. It's a 30 minute drive to a town of 10K or more. It's 75 miles to a small city of 60,000. Most of my work is in or near that city (Portland, Maine) and almost none of my work is closer than a 30 minute drive. Knock on wood, I have always had more work available than I can do. But most of it is relatively utilitarian--not much Architecture, mostly modest new homes and renovations.

1  · 

Totally not kidding, at this point in my career I'd be so happy to be doing modest homes and renovations. I love personal projects.

4  · 
Wood Guy

Donna, it's not easy and honestly I'm not perfectly suited for it, though I do my best. But I know you'd be really good at it. Is there a reason you wouldn't go back to residential architecture?

1  · 
atelier nobody

My goal for part-time work in retirement (since gods know I won't have enough savings to quit working altogether) is to design follies - kids' playhouses, doghouses, shed/studios. It'll probably have to be design-build, since I doubt it would be very lucrative doing design only, so I'll need to improve my carpentry skills.

2  · 

Wood Guy, 100% the only reason I'm not self-employed doing residential remodels right now: health insurance. Thanks, American Exceptionalism!

5  · 
proto

don't get me started on health insurance...fuuuuck! That said, I love the flexibility of having a small practice. Assuming I can keep work coming in the door...LOL. [i mean, it's just anxiety, right? fingers crossed each & every month... ]

1  · 
Wood Guy

Our health care system is... well, you know. For five years my wife and I, in our mid-40s, no kids, were on the ACA. Some years our income was low enough to get a subsidy but most years it was about $14K per year for premiums and a $13K combined deductible. Neither of us saw a doctor over that time period.

Now we have insurance through her work; it's a slightly better value but not much. It works out to about $140/wk for each of us to pay the premiums, and we started an HSA to pay for incidental healthcare items without having to pay tax.

It's not ideal; we should be like civilized countries and have an actual healthcare system, not an insurance system based on sick-care. But if you are staying in a job you hate just for the health insurance, how much would you have to charge to pay for your own?

2  · 

Well I'm back!  

I did get COVID.  I still feel rather blah and have shortness of breath and fatigue.

I'm not sure how much damage it's done to my lungs and heart though.  I'll have a test done in another two weeks and compare them to what they where 6 months ago. 

Overall I'm a bit worried right now since my lung capacity was already at the low end of normal (just genetics, I'm at 81%, anything at or above 80% is normal).

Jan 25, 21 10:55 am  · 
5  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Any idea how? From that asshole client?

· 
Non Sequitur

can you sue said asshole client?

2  · 

If the meeting was at a jobsite (I think you mentioned that earlier), you might have a better chance suing the contractor who failed to ensure proper safety procedures were in place and followed ... but probably not worth it in the long run. Probably would have more of an effect if you just quit the project leaving the client without an architect. I know that's probably not an option though. 

Hope you're doing ok and that you suffer no long term effects.

· 

I cannot comment on the who and how of the situation beyond what I've already said. . I can say this - if I quit the project I'd also be quitting my position with the firm I'm at.

· 
Non Sequitur

so, tossing this out there, what would happen if you were on site and suffered an injury because the GC failed to cover a slab opening? Perhaps not worth the effort unless you can demonstrate permanent injury and can establish negligence. heal-up quickly.

2  · 

The issue may be that my lung capacity could be permanently reduced to the point where I no longer could do what I used to. Also it would reduce my life span by around 10 years.

· 

Chad I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope you are not one of the "long haulers". It's a scary illness.

3  · 

I hope so too as I am NOT going to live like this.

4  · 
randomised

Fucking hell, that’s horrible! “Get well, get well soon, we want you

· 
randomised

to get well” https://youtu.be/N3TuOQkN7e0

2  · 

Hahahahaha!

2  · 
citizen

Here's hoping for a brief and light bout, quick recovery, and zero lasting effects for you, Chad. For the spreader, maybe some genital warts and a tax audit.

1  · 
proto

Sorry to hear this @Chad Miller...best wishes for a short & full recovery!

· 
liberty bell

Chad I keep thinking about you saying you can’t live like this, and I’m reminded of when I got my wisdom teeth extracted at age 34. The surgery and recovery pain wasn’t terrible, but I had some nerve damage at the back of my mouth that was extremely painful and miserable. A week or more after surgery, when I went back for a follow up and the dentist told me there was a slim chance that the nerve pain would not abate over time, I specifically remember thinking “If I have to live with pain like this I can’t live. I’ll off myself instead.” Thankfully, six months later it was just a small tingly irritation, and a year later up until now I only feel it when I floss. So: hang in there. Chances seem more likely that you’ll recover fully, over time!

1  · 
tintt

One of my clients is in the hospital with covid and might not make it. He was a good one too. :(

You guys: I *highly recommend* that you purchase this five-lecture series, Mondays at 11 or again at 7, presented by Kevin Adkisson of Cranbrook, on the history of visiting architects coming to see Cranbrook and what happened next...Full of gorgeous images and lots of gossip, and Kevin is the most engaging speaker I've ever seen. It's also approved for CEU credit! The first lecture just finished but I believe if you register now you can see it again tonight, or have it sent to you. $75 for five lectures of this caliber is a BARGAIN. 

HISTORY OF AMERICAN ARCHITECTURE: CRANBROOK VISITORS | Cranbrook Center for Collections and Research

I had forgotten this story but Kevin presented it again today: When Corbusier arrived in the US he expected a huge press turnout because he was kinda famous or at least thought he was? But no one even met him in the New York port. George Booth of Cranbrook got wind of this and arranged for every one of his photographers (Booth owned newspapers) to meet Corbu at the Detroit airport, to assuage his 'lil bruised ego LOL!

Jan 25, 21 12:58 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I can't tell if this for the politics thread, or the problems in architecture thread.

Jan 25, 21 5:22 pm  · 
5  · 

That gives me some inspiration for the MOB shell I'm working on . . .

1  · 
JLC-1

I want to know more about this cartoon

· 
SneakyPete

Am I the only one who doesn't understand anything about it?

4  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I know, I keep reading it, and don't get it.

· 

I get the gist (I don't know how to pronounce that word) of it, and I like the gist of it. Not sure I fully understand it all, tho.

1  · 
bowling_ball

WTF is a free range princess? And by "do" them, does she mean what I think she means? And how will that solve her architectural problem, exactly? The mind reels....

1  · 
tintt

I have no idea but I dreamed about boobs last night because of this cartoon.

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Proof that Americans aren't the only ones who are fucked up, or maybe the Dutch aren't saints after all?

Jan 26, 21 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How many of them were in black face?

2  · 
randomised

There are many people fucked up here and for the record none of them were out in black face, that's not a thing here ;-) The rioters are mostly just bored opportunistic urban youth and football hooligans (the spelling errors in their whatsapp/telegram announcements are typical) wanting to blow off some steam, fight with the police and loot some shops in the process...the usual really. It's because we now have a curfew since last week and are forbidden outside between 21.00 until 04.30 unless we walk a dog or deliver food.

1  · 
SneakyPete

Can you be more clear as to what you mean by "urban youth"? Do the rural areas not have youth? What about "urban" youth makes them more likely to riot, in your view?

1  · 

randomized, your response sounds similar to saying "oh, another troubled youth" after some teenager guns down a dozen people in a schoolyard. I am curious how many of these "football hooligans are also ultra-racist Dutch movement members? Is there any info on that?

With all due respect to you of course.

1  ·  1
apscoradiales

European football hooligans are not your average politically left leaning people. Most have sympathies for Nazism, racism, hate, and shit-disturbing. Look at Lazio Ultras in Rome - bunch of thugs who think Mussolini was a great leader and all blacks (even black players on the their own team) should be shipped out of Italy - well, maybe at least sent to play for AC Roma. Every country in Europe has it's own football hooligans, and they're all racists. Netherlands is no different. Lead pipes and some teargas works well on them.

· 
randomised

Okay, all at once: Rural youth is not that packed inside small boxes with nowhere to go, there’s more lebensraum out there and perhaps they all have dogs :) What’s been going on has happened primarily in our cities (with the exception of some small fishing village notorious for its youth “activism” and cocaine habit), there’s something about being collectively locked inside tiny apartments that sets people off I guess. Most of these rioters in the cities are children of migrants (most youth in our cities is), don’t think racism has anything to do with this, except maybe their racism towards white Dutch people (seeing which shops they target and which ones especially are left alone), but that’s just speculation. Our football hooligans are not necessarily or particularly racist, the ones from Amsterdam even identify as Jews (Amsterdam is also know as Mokum has/had a large Yiddish heritage/history) and you can see people from all backgrounds supporting them (white Dutch, Northern African and Turkish Muslims, Caribbean black, etc. side by side. They even fight as one together against hooligans from other cities and all they care about is the jersey. A famous hooligan that died in a fight between Rotterdam and Amsterdam hooligans in the late 90s (The Battle of Beverwijk) was black but so was the ring leader of the opposite team). Also our teams are completely mixed as are our streets and our national team.

· 
SneakyPete

wow.

3  · 
Non Sequitur

any canadian hooligan youths in there rando?

· 
randomised

the infamous maple syrup dealers? yes plenty!

1  · 
Non Sequitur

good. happy to see representation up there.

· 

The problem with Dutch is that they still have the old most liberal society in the world image of themselves that we all welcomed until extremist politicians like Geert Wilders start to surface with significant societal support as in the case of most contemporary European countries.

3  · 
randomised

Wilders is not the cause but result or outcome of a rise of extremism in Europe though...

· 

Sure, he is an angel in disguise!

· 
randomised

Not saying that...but he does stand up for gay rights, women’s rights, heck even animal rights, got to give him credit for that...

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Hitler was vegetarian, got to give him props...

5  · 

he does stand up for gay rights, women’s rights, heck even animal rights...

As long as they are not Muslim or non-white immigrant, right?
Geert Wilder is a hate monger.

So I see your true colors... A racist politician sympathizer!

3  ·  1
randomised

Now you're jumping to conclusions, I'm just explaining Wilders, not voting for him...people that support him don't hate muslims (necessarily) they 've lost their way of life and want it back.

· 

Just like the German Nazis and their leader blamed the Jews for the loss of their way of life. The Nazis in The Netherlands were party to that. Today is the Holocaust Day!
You are sliding into that territory with your posts.

3  · 
square.

it's quite amazing how rando has the ability to find loads of nuance when attempting to explain the actions of his own country...

· 
randomised

It's funny how standing up for gay rights, for women's rights or animal rights puts one in the Nazi corner...while suppressing women, hating Jews, beating up gays and mistreating animals is regarded freedom of religion.

SneakyPete

what isn't funny, and never has been, is making sweeping statements about an entire country full of diverse people. Statements which are proven wrong just by reading what those diverse people are writing in THAT conversation. But you know, stupid is as stupid does.

3  · 
randomised

I don’t want to be dragged down into this kind of conversation yet again, what for...if people want to brand me a nazi(sympathiser) for not bowing for a women suppressing, gay hating antisemitic ideology and instead standing for universal human rights, that’s all on them. I don’t need that bullshit just as I don’t need riots in my town because of a lockdown and curfew in an attempt to control the spread of COVID.

· 
SneakyPete

We know. All you need is a straw man to cuddle with and something you can pretend is BAD ON BOTH SIDES to keep you warm.

· 
square.

too late

· 
Non Sequitur

Straw makes for a terrible cuddler.

· 
randomised

Nah I’m good sneaky c.s. You guys have fun circle jerking, I’m going to cuddle my boys now! XOXO

· 
SneakyPete

You're just upset because the only people who seem to consistently find common cause with your blathering are the racists.

1  · 
randomised

“The problem with Dutch is that they still have the old most liberal society in the world image of themselves that we all welcomed until extremist [islamists] start to surface with significant societal support as in the case of most contemporary European countries.” There, I fixed it for you Orhan :-)

· 
SneakyPete

So maybe not a racist, but definitely a bigot.

· 
randomised

Tell me, what's wrong with opposing the extremist islamist ideology? Or to paraphrase dubya: If you're not against them, you're with them!

· 
square.

ya'll are killin it lately

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/0...

1  · 
randomised

They stepped down so they can't be held accountable anymore, because they stepped down already, just in time to get reelected in March when the elections were anyhow scheduled. That's some really sneaky opportunistic political move right there.

· 
SneakyPete

You haven't earned the standing to be demanding anything. You're the one espousing views and you need to do the heavy lifting of justifying your views. I'm not doing your homework for you, especially when it's something we teach children: to not make sweeping generalizations to try and legitimize your fear and hate.

· 
randomised

Jeez Louise! I'm not demanding anything here, please go on...

· 
SneakyPete

randomised 

Tell me

randomised 

I'm not demanding

1  · 
randomised

you forgot the comma...anywho, it was just a simple question, not a demand. grasping at straws again I see, good luck with that.

· 
SneakyPete

The little Dutch boy doth protest too much, methinks.

· 

Why are you so afraid of Muslim immigrants in Europe, didn't a couple of them developed a major vaccination for Covid?
There are extremist Muslims in Muslim countries too, even more so with armies and all.
As to the immigration subject, hey, this is the world’s reality since the 60’s, similar to migration to urban areas. The world's have-not majority will be immigrating, with papers or not, to the places where there's plenty to go around. This won't stop who they are. You need to work with them.
Why are you putting them into an extremist bundle? The Muslim communities are mostly delegated to bad industrial buildings, dissed, and treated like a terrorist bunch. Not that they are coming from places where they haven't built magnificent buildings for their spiritual practice. I got news for you, they aren't going anywhere.

Major shifts in migration patterns and demographics are underway, real and robust. These people are not the former slaves that were part of the western "way."
They are more "Future" than you. Get with it, be creative and respectful. Accept and move on to coexistence gear. If you can't, maybe your children can. Otherwise, your societal and individual problems and fears will only keep amplifying.
Instead of burning their mosques, show your humanism and art to them. Give them a chance to like you, laugh with you.
It's very urgent.
I'd stay away from politicians like Wilders, he and others like him want you to go to culture and urban warfare that there are no winners at the end and you have a lot more to lose. Open your eyes. Are kidding me? Isn't there a majority public supporting gay, women, animal, and others' rights already in? Tons of them, you included.
Of course, this scumbag wants their sympathy (pretty much like you, random) and sings to the chorus. But inside, he sees the ultimate warfare wiping out all Muslims from Holland. Are you this spider brain like? I don't think so, but you are scared shitless as you are resorting to demonizing Islam. It's very apparent in your posts. 

*I wrote this with minimal editing and maybe too long. The gist of it is: if anything our humanity will help us the most. Under the circumstances of our times, nationalism is baloney and don’t fall for it. This kind of evangelistic crusade against Islam is racist, dangerous, self-serving, and abusive.

3  · 
randomised

no all caps or bold?

· 

there's a way you too can do paragraphs.

2  · 

hahaha. that reminds me, long time ago you had to know some scripting and stuff to post pictures on archinect. there was an etiquette not to reveal how it's done so people wouldn't crowd the bandwidth with junk.

· 
Non Sequitur

Orhan, I think type of formatting still

exists. I've on occasion accidentally typed up formatting code with some odd 

comment results.

· 

Hmm, nice. I have to ask my people when I'd like to use the formatting. But if I use it, I'll use it in blog posts.

· 

I've typed things inside brackets as a way to emphasize something and had it disappear on me as it thinks I'm trying to code.

I didn't realize it actually was trying to recognize some code.

· 
wondering what code works and what doesn't
 · 

This is

fun

· 

what about obsolete code

1  · 
Non Sequitur

I was trying old school html marquee scrolling code.

did not work.

1  · 

lol, I tried the obsolete "blink" code

1  · 

I once asked the BGH if we could get some more formatting options for bloggers and got shut down.

The one thing I was really hoping to get was a pulled quote, or indent paragraph option so I could emphasize certain things without needing to rely on bold or italics

Speaking of which does underline work?

· 

I feel like I've unlocked a whole new world

3  · 
Non Sequitur

<p style="color:orange">

This Awesome.

</p>

· 
Non Sequitur

oh, not working anymore for me.  comment attempt redacted.

· 
citizen

I love how we love to design...

•  even if it's only text.
 · 

where are the dingbats we love?

· 
Non Sequitur

dingbats you say?  

☕

1  · 

Unfortunately, // { I realized-I forgot all [/my] scripting skills.="amisorry"...>(?)< no/ }[bold]

· 

This Awesome.

· 
Non Sequitur

<font size="6"
face="verdana"
color="green"> 
show off! 
</font> 

· 
citizen

Do you have anything in a pinky mauve?

· 
Non Sequitur

damn it, my highschool web-building skills have failed me.

· 

show off!

· 

just outdated

1  · 

show off!

1  · 
citizen

Somebody unplug EA. He's gone rogue!

3  · 
randomised

Orhan, I replied in Politics Central...

· 
randomised

"no all caps or bold?"

this was meant for SneakyPete, glad it set off this entire thing about text edits etc.

· 
apscoradiales

randomised,

no doubt, Feyenoord fans. Ajax fans would never do that...;)))...!

Jan 26, 21 2:17 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Of course they wouldn’t, that’s why they are referred to as fake supporters by others, since they only show up during a good season or leave the stadium before the end of the match ;-)

· 
quasi-arch

good to know there are some footy fans on this forum 

Jan 26, 21 11:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

fuck tom brady, man...

2  · 
quasi-arch

By footy I meant soccer ;)

1  · 
Non Sequitur

oh, right... I guess that's an ok game to watch but only world/euro cup matches. Maybe premier league, If I'm in a scottish pub in france. That last one happened once and it was wonderful.

1  · 
archanonymous

watching soccer is like "oh, ho hum this is cool I guess." 

Watching soccer in a pub in Europe/ open air street café/ Bulgarian dive bar is a life-affirming experience and the first time I really "got it."

4  · 
proto

I dunno, if the game itself doesn’t inspire you...maybe you just like going to high energy parties

· 
apscoradiales

Football either separates people or greatly unites them. It's the last vestige of nationalism where Europeans (and South Americans, two continents that understand the game) can express their nationality or pride in their home without being looked down on. EU, being what it is, sort of discourages people from waving their flags, figuratively speaking, in public. So, football is it. Better than lobbing shells onto your neighbours as was gone in the past. In addition, it's the best sport ever invented by people. Unfortunately, hooligans tend to be the by-product of it. But, in reality, football is not to be blamed for it - hooliganism is an illness of a society.

1  · 
Bench

Nah, there's something pretty special about the experience of seeing a proper derby play out ...

· 

I am an avid football fan following most of the major European leagues regularly. In the Netherlands, I root for Ajax since the Johan Cruijff days. They revolutionized modern football and made it a very instinctual, brainy, and creative game that is fun to watch. Of course, there's the South American game which is played with pure talent and artistry.
It's one sport that unifies the entire world.

2  · 
apscoradiales

There I agree with you.

1  · 
randomised

If possible, football should be watched in the stadium though...

· 
apscoradiales

Orhan Ayyüce,

In defense, for the lack of better term, of randomised, some Dutch people are not the only ones who occasionally sympathised with the German Nazis during WW2. ALL European countries did to some degree, some more than others. You name one European country that didn't see opportunities in the Nazi ways. There were either groups or individuals or the whole friggin' countries who took part in the shiet during WW2 or co-operated with the Nazis. So, to point the finger only at the Dutch is not fair. 

This is the thing about Europe - it has a looooooong history, and some of it is certainly not pretty. One can also point the finger at the Muslims, the Ottomans, present day immigrants - many who came to Europe to seek a better life, only to have some turn into horrible people. Up until recently, the New World was a better place. Unfortunately, things are not all rosy in America (as a continent) any more either.

Jan 27, 21 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

^regurgitating.

1  · 
SneakyPete

The thing about conversations is that we were talking about the Dutch, so your protestation rings like a hollow defense that didn't need to be made.

2  · 

Personally I don't care how much history of racism a country may have had - they are still fuckwits for continuing to practice it.

5  · 
tduds

This reminded me of a dril tweet (but not the one I always post!)

1  · 
tintt

Some days I undo more than I do. Today is one of those days.

Jan 27, 21 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Ctrl+Z

· 
tintt

yeah, maybe I should just turn the whole computer off. Can't concentrate worth anything today.

· 
quasi-arch

tintt that was me yesterday. Doing better today. Will have to make up some time this weekend though lol, yay, WFH

· 
citizen

.Hi-Tech Pattern Illustration 63058029 - Megapixl

4  · 
tintt

Yeah and I have a conference call this evening. Forgot to pick my daughter up from school again today. Maybe I need to retire.

· 
randomised

the therapeutic 'throwing computers through windows' is just another thing ruined by working from home, thanks covid!

2  · 
curtkram

"operable windows"

· 
liberty bell

When I arrived at work this morning I had one major thing on my to do list. I worked my butt off all day, but that one major thing is still not done LOL

4  · 

So how do you think most hedge fund managers are sleeping tonight LOL

Jan 27, 21 7:15 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm going to start tracking shorts! Is wework still going...[asking for a friend.]

1  · 
Wood Guy

Since their entire job is basically gambling, I am having a really hard time feeling bad for them. They can stand to lose some sleep.

1  · 
proto

I agree w/ WG but am dismayed that troll culture seeping into the real world is getting a pat on the back

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Over the hedge was a cute movie. I liked the bear, even though he was the villain. Is this the same hedge you're talking about?

2  · 

I'm almost certain that's exactly what everyone is talking about NS. I think the bear also plays video games though.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

balls. of. steel. assuming it's a guy, but hoping it's not.

· 
apscoradiales

"...Wood Guy

Since their entire job is basically gambling, I am having a really hard time feeling bad for them. They can stand to lose some sleep...."

Unfortunately, sometimes your investments are with them - depending on your "investment vehicle". So, if they suffer, your portfolio will suffer as well. If you are knowledgeable, keen, and pay attention where your money is invested or what is invested in, you can bypass this shit, but most folks don't know enough about investing nor have the time, so they get burned. Life goes on...

Jan 28, 21 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Good point, my 401K dropped 3% this week. But it went up 6% in the last two weeks so I'm not worried (yet). I don't know if my investment company, American Funds, participates in shorting stocks or not, but I would assume they do.

· 
tduds

Pretty dumb system we got here, if you ask me.

1  · 
apscoradiales

Well, yes and no. If you know what you are doing or hire someone who does as an advisor, you could stay ahead of the inflation or make a few pennies. If you don't, you'll lose your shirt. It's, essentially, legalised form of gambling. One of the keys to investing is knowing when you should cash in, and get out or put your earnings into something else.

· 
tduds

Just because some people win doesn't mean the whole thing isn't real dumb. In fact, when you look at who seems to win the most often, it seems dumber.

1  · 
archanonymous

@WG - most mutual fund companies don't engage in shorting.

2  · 
quasi-arch

Just saw this on the BBC page, looks like the fallout from the Grenfell Tower fire continues... yikes!

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/bu... 

Jan 28, 21 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

I mean, I know this would mean substantial liability for the architect but it seems like someone should be subject to a class action lawsuit for selling people dangerous buildings?

· 
quasi-arch

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I'm US-based!), but my recollection was that the UK didn't have codes prohibiting the use of these materials (in conjunction with certain insulation) on buildings of this height and type, like we do in the US (specifically NFPA 285). The manufacturer, though, did have "fine print" warning not to use the material on a high rise, but this was apparently ignored over there (or not clear). So, they now have a huge stock of buildings that are clad similarly to Grenfell and the gov't must have made it mandatory to remove the materials (retroactive code, almost!). I didn't realize residents now had to foot the bill... NFPA 285 has been in the code for a long time, but it's only really in the last 5-10 years where it really came under the spotlight over here. My previous firm definitely had a bit of a "panic" moment where we were checking all of our projects for any errors.

· 

what do you mean Donna? The architect should be sued with class-action lawsuit for pretending this building was safe? If so, yeah that totes makes sense. The shit they did on this project is crazy as hell.

· 
apscoradiales

Class action lawsuits may work differently in UK than they do in USA. From what I've read about this, there is a whole lot of blame to go around, from the architects to the manufacturer of the insulated panels (Celotex/Saint Gobain) to building authorities to the contractor(s). In North American parlance, a total, and complete clusterfvck!

1  · 
Jaetten

In the UK, some leaseholder contracts stipulate that any major building works require a contribution by the leaseholder to an agreed sum £. This is in addition to any ground rent that they already pay.

· 

Can I just say how much the desk at the office makes my face hurt.  Noting is the right size, everything is backwards, and don't get me stared on the grey cubical walls.  

Uhg.  

Jan 29, 21 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

knock a few of those dividers down and build yourself a fort.

· 

I would but I'm boxed in.

· 
Almosthip

I should of seen that coming . . .

1  · 
square.

this is luxurious compared to my nyc sized desk (equivalent to the single space where the screen is located). hasn't been a problem of late, but i would kill for some privacy.

· 

I do a lot of sketching, model building, and conceptual design. For me that requires a bit more room and at least 30" deep desks. It's a pet peeve of mine - if you have 24" x 36" drawings you need a 30" deep desk. If you have 30" x 42" drawings you need a 36" deep desk. No architectural workspace should have desks less than 30" deep - it's just stupid.

As for the privacy - I prefer collaboration and open communication.  This is probably because again, I do a lot of conceptual design and find it helpful to be able to actually speak and sketch with others in the office.  

1  · 
proto

friday

Jan 29, 21 8:24 pm  · 
4  · 
tintt

me at 10:30 Saturday morning

1  · 
Non Sequitur

That’s a strange coffee mug.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Virtual school ends today so kido is back in class (junior K). Now I get to go back to a regular(ish) work day instead of cramming everything between 5 & 9am and 9pm to whenever.  At home for another 10 days, but then I can head back into the office unless local gov decides not enough adults acted like adults over the last 6 weeks.

Unrelate to the odd work hours I mentioned above, anyone attempt SD stuff at 6am before?  Was I silly to expect to get anything done at that time?  3hrs wasted turning in circles which I resolved with an 8-minute series of napkin sketches during virtual school.

Feb 1, 21 8:03 am  · 
4  · 
citizen

Non, my theory is that the 8-minute productivity came at least in part from whatever mental stretching might have happened during that pre-dawn session. At least that's my frequent experience: seemingly mindless, multiple dead-ends at my desk, then a useful thought occurring to me in the shower or on a walk that might not have come without the earlier head-scratching.

Wishes for fun and learning for the kiddo!

3  · 
axonapoplectic

NS - my schedule is sort of like that too, except my kids are in person two days a week and remote the rest of the week - and I don’t get my chunk of time on the remote days until after 9pm (and I’m usually exhausted by then). The rest of the day is grabbing 30 minutes here, an hour there. Also one of those in person days is a half day and I have to pick them up. Unfortunately what I’m doing right now is a lot of paper pushing and people are getting pissed off that I’m not as responsive.

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Very good observation. I was racking my head over a elevation design all week and getting frustrated that I could not get anywhere within the 2ish hour blocks I worked. Then as I was driving around for errands on Saturday, It all came together and in 42seconds, a dozen frustrated hours came to fruition.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Axo, I know exactly what you mean. These last few weeks would have been much more mangeable if I were doing CA or drawing reviews... but so far 2021 is bringing me only design. A welcome change, but man is it hard to get that type of work done in a piece-meal schedule.

2  · 
citizen

Urethra!

1  · 
randomised

Daycare opens next week, am delighted...

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Rando, how long have daycares been shut?

· 
tintt

2021 is bringing me a lot of clients that are ridiculously happy with the designs and project management but who want to pay about $14/hour for me to bring them that happiness and who want to text message me 6 times a day to get updates and who also don't feel like paying even though they are perfectly happy with the work, it's just that they are paying for all this other stuff (construction) so money is tight and maybe I can be of a help that way by not being paid and asking me if I can just take this one on for fun, for my portfolio. 4 non-paying clients at once can really make me think twice about what the f I'm doing here. Might have to get a hot dog cart to supplement the income, lol.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Tintt, can you at least carry spicy Italian sausages?

And as per your story:

Don't know how construction contracts and permits work in your hood, but we just withhold occupancy and final compliance letters until the accounts are paid-off.  Works well with commercial clients. 

· 
tintt

I'm withholding, yes. But sometimes they can wait for weeks or months and therefore I do too. Getting three checks today and the fourth later this week thank goodness. Still really hurts the cash flow and lots of time wasted to remind clients that this is a job for me, that I really do need the money and I'm not charging them to be mean. One of my clients is in the hospital with covid. His son found a post-it note that said to pay me and I'm actually getting paid for that one which was one I was considering letting go so that's nice. And yes, spicy italian sausages we will have. 

2  · 
randomised

NS, daycares were closed in March for 2 months and since December until next week...

1  · 

All this talk of at home learning, daycare, and the general weirdness of kid learning makes me glad that I have no crotch fruit.

· 
Non Sequitur

Rando, ours shut down march-july(ish) then again for january.

· 
randomised

Hopefully this was it, with vaccinations taking off etc. (knocks on wood)

· 

Have you gotten a vaccination yet rando? I'm not sure what it's like in your country but here in 'Murica the distribution process is not going well . . .

· 
randomised

We're the slowest vaccinators in the EU, only 1% (positive estimate) of the population got their first shot, mostly healthcare workers or managers and support staff in hospitals and some elderly and people in a risk group. Not sure when I'll be eligible, have to wait and see.

· 
Non Sequitur

I've been chewing on old pizza boxes and reciting my rosary to fend of C19. So far so good, so it must work, right? I'm "expecting" the shots mid to late summer since I'm in the last group but I have a few family members (medical fields) who got it . I think my wife is in the 2nd group and may expect in come spring. I believe my province is completing the old-age home shots this week (or starting them, not sure, it's complicated).

· 

Don't feel bad. I'm a type 1 diabetic with asthma and I'm lumped in with group 4 of 4 for getting the vaccine. I was told expect 9-12 months before I can get it.

· 
randomised

Hopefully you're immunity will last until then...

· 

I have no idea. I'm still wearing a mask and all that. People around here are actually asking my why I'm still doing these things because they think I can't get infected or infect others. Morons.

2  · 
tintt

Chad, I was just on the state's website and it looks to me like you are in group 2 with rollout this spring. I don't even see a group 4.

1  · 

Sorry, I meant group 3. I was told by the state because of my overall healthiness I'm in the last group. I don't know if I should be happy or upset.

I know the quiz says I'm group 2 however the state health department said nope, you're group 3 because you're in better shape than most 'normal' people and we don't have enough vaccines.  

· 
tintt

Well see if you can get heart disease or some other comorbidity and you'll get bumped up.

· 

I (jokingly) keep telling my wife to stress out about the vaccine rollout more so she can add hypertension and anxiety to the list of health issues so she might get bumped ahead in line.

· 

I could always try and get both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

· 

That's the spirit!

· 

I was supposed to be phase 1c of Chicago’s plan, but the surgery got rid of all my previous co-morbidities. I’m last in line now.

· 
tduds

This is infuriatingly good, on two levels: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/art...

Feb 2, 21 2:33 pm  · 
5  · 

only two levels?

1  · 
SneakyPete

God damn that is excellent. 

· 
Non Sequitur

Brilliant.

· 
tduds

Well one one level it's a perfect skewering of the "outside" dining solutions popping up around the country. And on another level it absolutely nails archi-speak. There might be other levels as well.

1  · 

This might be implicit in the archi-speak level, but I also liked the level on which it was all to post-rationalize and give meaning to the decisions made which largely had no thought put into them at all.

"My process for this piece was thoughtful yet improvisational, driven by curiosity and discovery. First, I imagined my ideal restaurant. Then, I built a smaller, more ramshackle version of that, and put it in the street. That was pretty much it. Unless you consider writing this statement part of my artistic process, which would be fair since the elaborate act of justifying why all of this is okay takes about as much energy as the rest of it."

It's what I felt like in most of my art and design classes.

1  · 

There's also the (political?) satire level:

"Finally, I would be remiss if I did not thank the government for failing to provide this restaurant with the help it would need to simply stay closed through this pandemic. Their lack of support makes my art possible."

2  · 
randomised

Thanks for sharing, I really needed that...working on a teaching and research statement and could really use some inspiration!

1  · 

testing

Feb 2, 21 3:03 pm  · 
2  · 

Well, I had to change my password so it looks like liberty bell is dead now.

1  ·  5
JLC-1

long live the queen!

4  · 
citizen

I'm sorry... I couldn't save her.

3  · 
tduds

Gunned down in her prime.

1  · 
Wood Guy

Aw, that makes me sad. May she rest in piece.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

NOT. ON. MY. WATCH!!

2  · 
SneakyPete

Donna has better hair.

1  · 

On the plus side, a product rep just served us Cosmos out of the back of a van in the parking lot. Much less seedy than it sounds! 

Feb 2, 21 4:04 pm  · 
7  · 
JLC-1

it looks awesome

1  · 
archanonymous

I'm all about seedy rep experiences. Gotta take your perks where you can get them in this business!

2  · 
Non Sequitur

Orange Converses? Nice.

1  · 
bowling_ball

Nice! A brewery client just dropped off a couple cases of craft brew for us this afternoon. Cheers!

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't know, that has Sex Wagon vibes.

4  · 
proto

my bosch glr225 laser measure is dying -- what do you folks use for laser for as-builts?

Feb 3, 21 7:00 pm  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

an intern.

5  · 
citizen

Interns and lasers... is there anything they can't do?Image result for laser gif

3  · 
proto

so, these interns come with lasers now...? huh

looking at that ^^^ ... i think just the laser is gonna be cheaper

2  · 

Is that how laser cutters work. I keep hearing the interns talk about them . . .

1  · 
urbanity

we use a consulltant to do the building survey drawings. building survey is a direct contract from consultant to owner.

· 
flatroof

Electrician on one of our jobs was fired for not wearing a mask after getting into an argument with some guy who pointed it out. Guy was making 130k a year and threw it away. And here I am two mass layoffs in working impossible deadlines for less than half that double masking it.  

Feb 4, 21 7:12 am  · 
3  · 

flatroof are you wearing your mask(s) while seated at your desk?

· 
Almosthip

We have to wear a mask if we leave our desk area

· 

Even though we can take our masks off at our desks when in the office, I still keep it on.

· 
SneakyPete

What about pants?

4  · 

I never wear pants - they infringe on my liberties and personal freedoms. 'MURICA!

I do wear a mask though because I'm not a selfish asshole.

4  · 
SneakyPete

Briefs: like a n95 mask for your butthole.

1  · 
proto

cropdusters scoff

· 

I’ve gotten into Kilts lately, although they are most certainly NOT SUITED for Chicago winters.

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Today, the only thing keeping me alive is Bad Seed Teevee. On YouTube. I should probably keep it going.

Feb 4, 21 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

I am beginning to think “self motivated” is a potential red flag in job descriptions. It could mean there’s very little support, they under staff their projects, the boss is a jerk who no one wants to work for, or they need someone who is “motivated” to work long hours for little pay.

Can you stay motivated to do the work while we exploit you?

Feb 4, 21 3:56 pm  · 
6  · 
Wood Guy

Maybe. As a former design manager and before that as a construction manager, I can say that it's no fun to have to cater, cajole and bribe employees to do what they should be able to do on their own. It takes a lot of time and mental energy that should be spent elsewhere. But I'm sure the phrase has been misused as well.

1  · 
mightyaa

Lol… agreed. I get that on employee reviews. To them ‘self motivated’ appears to mean, I’ll assign you a project, without any additional support and do the same for all your co-workers. Then you’ll better be ready for a Hunger Game’ish environment fighting, forming alliances, etc. to secure resources and staff to help you. I also need to “step up” which is essentially to climb over and beat down lesser PM’s taking more of the staff to meet my deadlines thus showing I'm not only motivated, but a fierce PM worthy of patronage of the game host. If I do really good, I can be paraded in front of clientele like the prized PM I am; my costume this year might have a bowtie :P

4  · 
citizen

^ Only the bowtie; nothing else ;o]

· 
bowling_ball

mightyaa, you're hired!

· 

The other red flag is 'dedicated'. You don't think someone is dedicated who became an architect? Oh you mean willing to work long hours for no additional pay. Yeah fuck off.

3  · 
shellarchitect

"Take Ownership" is a huge red flag to me... as in "Please take ownership of ____," despite clearly having no ownership stake.

3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The misuse of that phrase is abundant, and the guilt lays on those in power. I think a well run organization is one that sets the flag in the ground, and allows those with the skills to realize that vision, to have the autonomy to do it. Lead, and get out of the way.

· 
square.

+1 shell. these are all euphemisms for opportunities of exploitation.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

Better Than BIG

Feb 4, 21 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 
axonapoplectic

That’s seriously impressive. I wish I had that kind of free time, though.

1  · 
SneakyPete

Wonder how much of that was bought from Lester Freamon.

3  · 
square.

obscure wire reference ftw.

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Classic. You are likely correct.

· 
tintt

You guys, my contractor client that had covid and was in the hospital for weeks and his family called to tell me they weren't sure he was going to make it -- He is out of the hospital and back in the office!

Feb 5, 21 8:34 am  · 
8  · 
Jaetten

A joke, inspired by real life events:

How many GTI drivers does it take to change a headlight?

Doesn’t matter, they still couldn't do it right. 

*I apologise to any Golf drivers who can change their headlights properly. 

Feb 5, 21 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
proto

is that a dig on the drivers?

cuz VW headlights are stoopidly inaccessible

1  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the contractor on my private private project said this to me; why do you need to see finish submittals, I assumed that everything in your drawings is correct? fuck. me.

Feb 7, 21 8:42 pm  · 
3  · 
Non Sequitur

that happens often on my projects with one particular contractor. I guess placing "must submit shop drawings prior to fabrication or installation" notes on every sheet is not enough.

1  · 
tduds

Submittals are not to double check our drawings, they're to double check your sub's reading comprehension.

9  · 
randomised

The LSD comments (giant spiders!) in the discussion about Studio Gang's aspen inspired project somehow reminded me of this video.

Feb 9, 21 4:25 am  · 
1  · 
proto

Modern problems, vol 2021...:

anyone seeing AHJs pushback on the word "master" bedroom/bath/suite in residential review?

my engineer, on a project I'm not involved with, got a checksheet to change "master" to "primary"...so "Primary Bedroom"...

i understand the push on language, but it also seems a bit much to issue a check sheet on it. It is outside their review bounds [doesn't affect life safety]...but then, it is Portland...

He told me he also got a check sheet for not having his rev bubbles in red on another project (pdf submission)...wtf?

these are both coming over the course of this pandemic/cut-staffing/lower budget time period...

Feb 11, 21 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Haven't seen it from the AHJ, but have been seeing it on drawings I'm reviewing. "Primary" bedroom, etc.

1  · 
archanonymous

I tried to make my project switch to Primary or Owner's bedroom but that didn't really work out. Oh well. Got bigger fish to fry.

· 
Wood Guy

I do my best to be sensitive to those with experiences different than mine, and when I heard about the movement to stop using "master" for bedrooms and bathrooms I got on board. Upon further review I'm not sure it's really warranted but I don't have strong feelings about it. So now I just ask my clients what they would like to call it--it sets the stage that I'm a sensitive new age guy but not rigid in my approach.

Currently I have several Master Bedrooms, a few Primary bedrooms, a few Principal bedrooms, and several that are just numbered bedrooms. Personally I like the idea of using numbers the most. Especially since many of my clients sleep in separate rooms, though they are usually loathe to admit it.

While I support the cause, having the AHJ call it out seems extreme to me.

2  · 
curtkram

how do Canadians do concrete?  It's crazy cold here and my project is shut down for like a week and a half.  This is like spring for you guys, right?

The framers tried to get work done, but their compressors kept freezing up.  Do you have different compressors? 

Feb 11, 21 10:09 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

um... define crazy cold? -21c the other day and we went to play outside in the snow. Anyways, there are cold-weather admixtures but typically when I've had concrete poured in our winters, they cover the slabs with blankets and pump heat in. It's not cheap tho. I had one project a while back where the masons thought it was a good idea to lay the brick in january. The workers were in t-shirts thanks to the many propane burners inside their little work tents. Side story, ever have to discuss the load-bearing properties of river ice for movable cranes? I have.

1  · 

When working in Duluth MN I've had to discuss the forces generated by shore ice and ice from noreasters.

Also be careful with those cold weather concrete addmixtures if you're going to be doing staining and / or polishing - they can impact the quality of those processes.  

· 

So I had an ablation done on my heart yesterday.  Everything went fine and the doctor thinks there is a 99% chance they burnt out all of the extra electrical lines leading to my heart. 

Now I just have to deal with the fact that they (two 25 year old nurses) shaved my groin and told me it was 'no big deal'.  My ego has been crushed.  :)

Feb 12, 21 10:13 am  · 
9  · 
SneakyPete

What was no big deal, though? The shaving or the groin? Absent any evidence to the contrary I think you're fine.

1  · 
JLC-1

I've been shaved there 2 times, for my bachelor party and for my vasectomy; the big deal comes after the shave.

1  · 
SneakyPete

Itchy AF for a while.

1  · 
citizen

Great news, Chad!  I do find it odd when I go in for a back adjustment, they say I need my groin shaved =O/

· 
Wood Guy

That's great Chad, I hope it helps. The groin comments remind me of the doctor who gave a prostate exam. He said, "don't worry, an erection is normal." The patient said, "I don't have an erection." Doctor said, "I wasn't talking about you." Happy Friday.

4  · 

Oh my god the itching.

1  · 
tduds

I watch a lot of Music Youtube (not "music" on youtube, but videos by & for musicians about music and theory), and one of my favorites is Adam Neely. 

This is from a few years back but I just came across it last night for the first time. I want to share it here because the message of it really resonated with me as it relates to architecture and design.

I know this feeling well: You put thousands of hours and sometimes years of your life into a project, and inevitably when it's finished what you see are the mistakes, or the things you realized could have been done better after it was too late to change, or the sort of anti-climax of walking away from the project only to start another. It's too easy to let that feeling take the main stage & overshadow the deep satisfaction that can be gained by enjoying the process. 

I'm spending 2021 learning to be a Happy Sisyphus.

Feb 12, 21 1:17 pm  · 
3  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

The contractor I noted above, has me banging my head. 

Every time I do a new set of drawings, I take the lessons learned from the last time, and try to make the next set better. This last set of drawings is the best set I've put together. Thoroughly detailed, clearly delineated information, pretty damn good. So how do I end up with the dumbest mf? Why is there tile in places not drawn, or listed in the schedule? Why am I not getting samples or draw downs of paint per the schedule....? 

You know what, I'm going to better on the next set, and then I'm going to be the contractor, so that way when he fucks up, my boot will have less distance to travel.

3  · 
gibbost

(Sorry, meant to reply to comment above)

I've never been able to put into words the feeling that you describe above.  I'm psyched about a project all the way up until the punch walk.  After that, I lose interest or begin dissecting it for all its flaws.  I agree with your approach in trying to find the joy after the project is complete.

Also, on youtube, I really enjoy Rick Beato's 'What Makes This Song Great'  He pulls a song apart and shows you how each piece is made while also giving some fun backstories for much of the music we all grew up with.

Feb 12, 21 3:17 pm  · 
3  · 
SneakyPete

Beato is a cool dude.

· 
tduds

I only recently stumbled across Beato. Great stuff.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I just wish he'd quit trying to tame his amazing hair. That, however, is my cross to bear.

· 
Non Sequitur

Started my week designing custom railing posts for a waterfront bar/patio... and finished it by starting (our team was short-listed) a group of 25storey net zero office buildings competition.

Feb 12, 21 3:51 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

They've got you pigeonholed, eh?

· 
Non Sequitur

Everyone has their role. Mine comes with a bottle of maple syrup.

1  · 

I’m currently building the 9000 piece Roman Colosseum Lego set and fear it might be turning me into a trad.

Feb 13, 21 6:01 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

Have you stepped on any pieces while barefoot yet? (I haven't heard any swearing from you....)

· 
axonapoplectic

Just finished the shopping street set with my oldest (its the one with a cargo bike and a very narrow bike lane). These sets are very different from what I remember when I was growing up. There are a lot of fun little hidden details.

· 
axonapoplectic

We have a huge collection of hand-me-down lego, and this is was the first set we bought. I had forgotten how satisfying a new set is - and both my kids were enthralled by it (and I enjoyed helping out). I have definitely been eyeing the more “adult” sets. The colosseum looks pretty cool.

· 

Apropos of absolutely nothing except my own current experience: hot flashes fucking suck. Anyone out there spending time around women of menopausal age *please* grant them grace. It’s awful.

Feb 13, 21 9:59 pm  · 
4  · 
JLC-1

continuum is studying for the ARE and troll quizzing archinect, how obvious and annoying.

Feb 15, 21 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, at least we know that's one wanker who won't be able to come after our jobs.

1  · 

continuum?

· 
JLC-1

yes, this guy

· 

Uhg.  Death by a 1,000 paper cuts. 

I'm working on too many projects.  Ten projects ranging from $300k to $10 million.  Thankfully the biggest project has a team more than just me.  

I can't wait until the new PM starts!  

Oh TC bump back to the main page!

Feb 18, 21 10:54 am  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Sounds like you successfully hired someone then?

· 

That's what they say. Starts next month.

1  · 

I got hit on today. By some, like, 30yo horndog?! I was wearing my mask so I don’t think he realized how old I am. I just laughed.

Feb 19, 21 7:03 pm  · 
8  · 
archanonymous

uh... congratulations?

2  · 
citizen

Does Brad know about this?

5  · 
proto

#stillgotit

1  · 
Non Sequitur

#puttingthehotinhotflashes

2  · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Was that you?

I sorry, not sorry.

1  · 
citizen

Wait... isn't that the guy who stole all of that nice lady's money? ;o]

· 
proto

how is this handrail/“guard rail” ok? Esp in California, land of bureaucratic oversight

https://www.archdaily.com/956893/wang-house-saez-pedraja-plus-calma?ad_source=search&ad_medium=search_result_all

Feb 20, 21 1:33 pm  · 
1  · 
citizen

Either:

1) It's a hyper-realistic miniature of the kind built by Toni Collette in Hereditary, and there's only 4 inches from floor to rail; or 

2) It's the first built project complying with the updated Calif Bldg Code requiring "full-time, on-site guardrail nanny to patrol all floor offsets, and paid prevailing wage (including overtime for nights and weekends)." Clearly this is pre-CofO, since the FTOSGN is not present.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

I'm not sure I see a problem.

· 
citizen

or 3) the code was published with a typo: "guardrails must be of a design which will not allow a 4-foot sphere to pass through."

1  · 
JLC-1

the drawings show a solid rail, up to code; I would get in trouble if the built rail wasn't like the drawings.

· 
b3tadine[sutures]

We've all seen this before. They "install" a railing to get past inspection, and tear it out afterwards. The liability lies with the homeowner.

2  · 
curtkram

rendering, or photoshopped out the glass?

· 
Non Sequitur

Everyone wears super quick deploying parachutes at all times.

1  · 
Wood Guy

Possibly Photoshop, or shot before cable rails or infill panels (glass, steel or wood) were installed.

1  · 
Non Sequitur

Anyone else bothered by that right door’s latch side being so close to the built in furniture?

· 
SneakyPete

I think it's a bad photoshop:

· 
Wood Guy

Pete, I'm not sure what you're circling but the original image is more clear than the link above: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4b1f/f91c/81c4/f200/0312/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-13.jpg?1613056769. The floor boards break at the post, which would be the easiest approach. The shadow on the left in this image is a bit suspicious, though: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/499d/f91c/81b8/c700/033c/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-10.jpg?1613056387. In a house as bright as that one probably is, they would have to do some photo correction that could result in splotchy areas.

· 
SneakyPete

I'm circling the lack of ambient occluded shade. The wall under the shadow in your second image is smeary, kind of like what might happen when you use the clone and healing brushes badly. Or let content-aware fill go nuts. Other images show cleaner lack of legal railing, making me wonder if this might be a mix of two photo sessions, once before the panels were removed, one after.

For example, I don't think anyone photoshopped this one:

1  · 

citizen, was Hereditary good? I love Toni Collette (I just rewatched Muriels' Wedding when my husband was out of town last weekend, 20+ years later it's still awesome!) and I've heard really weird things about Hereditary.

1  · 
citizen

That's funny, Donna, because I just ran across TC in the remake of Fright Night. She's been in everything! I just rewatched Muriel's Wedding recently and had forgotten how good it/she is. Hereditary is dark and disturbing, and grows more so to a horrifying conclusion. TC is great, as is the whole cast. Bonus for architects: the amazing (real?) models she makes. 

So: watch it, but in a sunny room with lots of other people around =o|

1  · 
Wood Guy

Good eye, EA. I believe that's the same location as this, top of stairs: https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4b5f/f91c/81c4/f200/0316/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-17.jpg?1613056844. Note the sloppy photoshop work at the corner post.

But check out the stair railing here--looks like metal, but beefier than the interior shots.

. L
 · 
randomised

EA that picked railing is not the slender slim elegant one from the interior shots, could be even a reflection of a balcony across the street, no?

· 

The house across the street doesn't have white picket railing infill on the balcony. https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/6025/4804/f91c/81c4/f200/0302/slideshow/SAEZ-PEDRAJA-CALMA-WANG-4.jpg?1613055991

My guess, and I could be completely wrong, is that they staged and took most of the photos before the railings were installed. Could have even been a situation where the owner took a credit for picket rails instead of glass, but the architect wanted the look of the original design before it got sullied with the pickets. The aerial shots outside could have been taken on a different date after the railings were installed. If they went with a drone photographer, there could have been scheduling or flight permitting issues.

The lighting is different so I know it was at least at a different time of day ... but even some of the interior shots look like they had different lighting conditions indicating the photo shoot took up different times of the day. Hard to say for sure what really happened, but at least that one shot shows a railing that would be code compliant. The rest, absolutely not.

· 
SneakyPete

I grew up in a house that had non compliant railings as well as interior atriums that, if you fell, would have killed ya. I survived.

· 
archanonymous

I wish the necro'd welding thread was titled, "The good, the bead, and the ugly."

That is all.

Feb 22, 21 6:59 pm  · 
6  · 
archanonymous

Random employment-related aside - Archinect's featured employers this week include Bestor architects (https://archinect.com/news/art...) hiring a Senior Architect with 5-10 years experience.

In what world does 5-10 years experience qualify someone as "Senior"? Seems like its just a way to pay less for someone less qualified to take on the same responsibilities a 10-20 year experience architect used to. Will inevitably lead to more stress, job dissatisfaction, burnout, and worse projects.

Feb 23, 21 10:12 am  · 
 · 

I have around 15 years experienced and I wouldn't call myself a senior architect. There is still so much I don't know . . .

· 
Non Sequitur

is it 5-10 years post license? That's sorta how senior gets labelled in my office but really it means nothing since no-one except management gets titles (other than architect). But if everyone is now senior after a Nickle, what's the next tier?

1  · 

That's a good point NS. I assumed that experience was since graduation.

· 
archanonymous

Super-senior.

· 
JLC-1

I'm a super-senior then with 32 years coming up in april!

1  · 
JLC-1

in any case, this ad made me look into the "studio", and it seems they secured a contract without the knowledge to make it happen, as it shows they haven't built anything https://archinect.com/jobs/entry/150250854/partner-level-consulting-architect

· 
Non Sequitur

You really want "SS" attached to your professional title?

4  · 
Wood Guy

Off topic but related--the terms magazine and web editors use are funny. Starting at the bottom you have associate editors. Then senior editors. Then Editors. Above Editor is Deputy Editor. Finally, Executive or Managing Editor. Maybe we need the same system for architects.

1  · 
tduds

I want SS before my title. Like I'm a boat.

6  · 
archanonymous

Here comes the SS TDUDS pulling in to port!

4  · 

That just sounds dirty for some reason.

· 
SneakyPete

Tonight only, dancing on the main stage: SSTDUDS!!!

2  · 
tduds

Can't spell SS Tduds without S T D. I'll see myself out.

1  · 
SneakyPete

And like that *blows fingers* he was gone (orrhea).

4  · 

Back on topic, the job post in question notes that licensure is not required. So 5-10 years is just in the industry, not post licensure. I agree that this seems like the intent is to get someone willing to take on more responsibility without needing to pay for a more experienced architect.

Edit to add a #humblebrag: I was titled as a "Senior Associate" at a firm with less experience ... but that's just me.

4  · 

You only got called a senior architect because you kept yelling at people for driving too fast and walking on your lawn.

3  · 
randomised

^the senior citizen architect

· 
atelier nobody

My current title is "Senior Technical Architect, Principal". "Principal" doesn't mean even close to the same thing here as it does everywhere else (I'm below an "Architect, Supervising" and at least three rungs below "Architectural Manager"), but that won't stop me putting it on my resume if I'm ever looking for another job.

· 
archanonymous

I've never liked titles. They changed my title not too long ago and I just kept using "Project Architect" on my email sig. Never ordered new business cards. 

"Project Architect" actually describes what I do unlike Architect III, Senior Architect, Design Leader, or Project Director. 

Ooooh business cards. 

Those are never coming back post-pandemic. "Here, take this damp piece of cardstock that's been in my pocket all day, it smells like my ass."

4  · 
citizen

.The Far Side Dog Names | Funny cartoons, Far side cartoons, Far side comics

1  · 
Jaetten

Been racking my brain on design and construction documentation software for my solo Interior Design business... Think I've settled on Vectorworks!

Feb 24, 21 1:14 pm  · 
2  · 
Wood Guy

Can you explain your reasoning? I've been trying to justify upgrading from Autocad LT and Sketchup for 15 years now and have a few architect friends who use and like Vectorworks. But others prefer Archicad or Revit.

1  · 
SneakyPete

I used VW at my first job. The autosave nearly ruined me, often saving a giant blank project when I deleted something inadvertently or when I entertained a wild thought and, at the end, closed it thinking "This was not what I wanted, I'll just close, not save, and reopen instead of undoing 100 things". So, yeah, be aware of that. And the bad compatability with industry standards was a constant drain on morale, resources, staff, etc.

2  · 
Jaetten

Wood, that's my current setup! The only issue I take with AutoCAD LT and SketchUp is making design changes when information needs to be updated in 2D and 3D - you're doing twice the work. SketchUp alone is naff for construction documents, it takes longer than AutoCAD and I dislike the Layout leaders. 

Revit and full AutoCAD are too expensive, both good in their own right, but not cost effective as a sole practitioner. I looked into Revit LT, good price point but no local rendering and no model in place. The latter makes custom cabinetry more complicated. Its not unworkable but it slows the process. 

That's where the benefits of vectorworks should come in, the functionality to price ratio. The Architect plan is approximately 50% cheaper than Revit. The fundamentals is a fraction more than Revit LT but allows rendering and is easier for custom cabinetry. 

SneakyPete, that is a concern, does it not save a new file for every autosave like Revit? I haven't look too much into standards as of yet. 

I'll be trialling VW and Revit LT in the coming weeks on a basic renovation concept for my own home so I can see which works out more efficient.

1  · 
SneakyPete

This was back in 2007, I haven't kept up with things, I apologize if you find that my information is woefully out of date.

1  · 
randomised

If you’re trialling VW and Revit LT, might as well give ArchiCAD a try...

2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: