Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Koww

not to get too weird but technology is getting insane. there's probably some scientists working out how to impregnate women and make men infertile with nanobots and suggest suicide in much harder to detect way than texting. meanwhile us politics is worried about political correctness.

Jan 14, 20 4:26 pm
Non Sequitur

or... there is not and you're just paranoid

also, don't look behind you.

Koww

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/13/scientists-use-stem-cells-from-frogs-to-build-first-living-robots

our species is fucked. especially when robots learn how to write their own history

tduds

...what

SpontaneousCombustion

What are technology's motives for impregnating women? If technology needs more people, wouldn't it be in technology's best interest to refrain from suggesting suicide?

Chad Miller

They're coming for you . . .

Koww

spontaneouscombustion, i was talking people, not technology... the ai thing is a separate crisis

citizen

I wonder, will the nanobots call the next day?

Chad Miller

They would wait at least three days.

citizen

On a tech topic:

Does anyone else have the same inability to see more than a handful of posts or comments in the histories tab that I do?  Someone may have 2000+, but I can only scroll down 2-3 pages max.  Any insights?  

Jan 16, 20 3:47 pm
Non Sequitur

I just scrolled through your history until I reached Jan 2019 comments... then I figured I had scrolled far enough.

citizen

Far enough, indeed. How much drivel can one Canadian withstand?

Almosthip7

Lots as we grew up on American TV

I took it up with the BGH a while ago over in the comments here: https://archinect.com/blog/article/49214439/archinect-s-new-account-settings-page. I still haven't figured out why it stops loading older comments at some point. I don't think the BGH has either ... nor do they care. YMMV

Non Sequitur

I still don’t have Ricky on ignore so I think my threshold
is high.

Non Sequitur

Almosthip, I grew up on French Canadian tv.... and the Simpson’s.

curtkram

I clicked your history and it only goes as far as Ian 4 2020. this is on a tablet. on my phone it seems to go back to dec 21 2019

Almosthip7

NS. I grew up in southern Ontario and got Detroit Fox Network

Archinect

@citizen - what browser/operating system are you on? just tested this with a number of different accounts and can see all user's full comment history. for example, here's a screenshot showing comments from you, from 2014, after a few minutes of continuous scrolling: https://prnt.sc/qpahow

This is quality internetting, here. You guys make me laugh!!

Jan 16, 20 7:53 pm
Non Sequitur

Ooooh, you can moderate me?

Almosthip7

It was -42c this morning (-53 with windchill) if you don’t

Almosthip7

Laugh at things you go crazy

citizen

Wow, my first re-tweeting. Thanks, Donna! =o]

Non Sequitur

only -23C here... but I was on site yesterday in the mud and +5C. On one of my projects, at this time last year, they had mobile cranes installed directly on the ice (St Laurence river)... this year, nothing.

citizen

Man, you guys are a sturdy bunch.

Non Sequitur

Oooooo, -29c today. No big deal, still don’t need my tuque. This mane won’t be tamed.

Almosthip7

I went to Dairy Queen and got some ice cream, was only -32

Non Sequitur

Cookie dough blizzard?

Wait, -42 CELCIUS? That's not a real temperature, unless you're on Pluto or something, right? BRrrrrrr.

And Non that's just a screen snip. No moderating.

Non Sequitur

Don’t start again with Pluto... and yes, -40 is a thing.

Almosthip7

Got a Caramel sundae

Chad Miller

I've been out backpacking (for fun) in -40 F. That's when I lived in Northern Minnesota (Canada's slippers)

Bloopox

-40 is the point at which F and c cross each other (-40 is the same temperature, in both systems).

But it's only -1 F here today.

Chad Miller

Yup. It's just COLD at that point, regardless of the units.

I've become a wimp living in a more temperate climate. Negative temps never use to be much of a problem for me as it was normal that we wouldn't get above 0 F for weeks at a time ... we never really got to -40 F though. Now I complain about it being too cold at +40 F.

Everyday, I'm the opposite. Grew up in Arizona and would put on a sweater at 70F. After living in the Midwest for 20 years I find 65F to be an ideal temp.

Almosthip7

Still  had to go do that inspection though

Jan 17, 20 11:21 am
Chad Miller

Ah, wind chill.

citizen

My mild-weather candy ass bows in humility to you frigid-climate studs and studlettes.

Chad Miller

Studlettes . . . giggle.

curtkram

that awkward moment when Celsius and Fahrenheit agree

Archlandia

you should move

Almosthip7

Archlandia...nah they pay me pretty well to stay here

citizen

Awesome character name for climate-themed sci-fi thriller: 

Dr. Celsius Fahrenheit. She's cooool..... but hot!

Archlandia

Must be a damn good salary!

-41 but feels like -52

How could anyone possibly feel the difference?

Jan 17, 20 5:44 pm
b3tadine[sutures]
BIG = Bjarke Ingels Goebbels going to shill for Bolsonaro! Way to go BIG!!
Jan 18, 20 11:06 am

That's a solid acronym joke, b3ta.

Almosthip7

Laughed to hard at this because it’s true

Jan 20, 20 11:59 pm
liberty bell

This is so confusing! The pool water temperature and the pool room air temperature are measured in different ways?!

Non Sequitur

Correct. F is still very common for pools and cooking temps.

Non Sequitur

C for actual room/exterior temp unless you have an older thermostat.

Scrap 'em both and use kelvins. It’s 263k in Paradise today.

Non Sequitur

so... -10C Miles?  It's 253K here (-4F)

Almosthip7

I like that idea. Sounds warmer

Chad Miller

Wait until shit gets really cold and hits absolute zero.

With kelvins it's never below zero. T-shirts and bikinis for everyone!

Chad Miller

You first in the bikini.

Non Sequitur

Nah man, nothing at all for the win.

Chad Miller

Crazy Canadians, always showing off their berries.

Canadian blueberries.

Chad Miller

So I left my phone at home today.  Now I have no excuse not to super productive.  Damn it. 

Jan 22, 20 11:58 am
tduds

I miss "designing." It's been a bit since I felt like a designer.

Who's with me?

Jan 23, 20 5:32 pm
Non Sequitur

I’ve got a pile of designing to do and no time to devote to it. Spent a whole 20min on a new office tower, then sprinkle a few hours over 2 weeks on 3 separate interior design jobs all while keeping every other fire tamed. So far I’m failing at all of these. Friday is a design day tomorrow, once I get site things out of the way and whatever else catches on fire in the next 12 hours.

tduds

As much as I'd like to (and half-plan to) venture out on my own at some point, the above post is a big reason why I might not.

curtkram

I told some people to design stuff today

tduds

On the upside, this current project is so design-lite that I can focus my efforts on learning the ins & outs of project management. I'm doing okay.

atelier nobody

Last week I was told I was getting a design project, albeit a deep industrial facility without much opportunity for innovation. Then I was told I was off the project. Then I was told I'm back on it, but the SE will be the lead designer and I am just there for exterior enclosure detailing...I'm still going to see how much design I can slip in surreptitiously.

That's the spirit!

liberty bell

Oh dear.

Jan 24, 20 5:58 am
Non Sequitur

It’s good. Makes a great read during your commute.

For those tough questions you have to call in the experts.

Non Sequitur

I typically use this bat signal.

If you subscribe to Malcolm Gladwell’s 10k hours rule, I’m sure Rick is an expert in pretending he’s an expert on all subjects.

Every dictionary definition of a word equals about 2,000 hours, right?

tduds

Non: you must have a much longer commute than me.

midlander

it's like sumo wrestling except the combatants substitute ignorance and inexperience for mass and technique.

liberty bell

This picture, from the demo phase of a library project, makes me feel so sad.

Jan 24, 20 3:09 pm

"I'm just a little black rain cloud, hovering under the honey tree."

tduds

I laughed.

Non Sequitur

My 3y old would kill for that Winnie the Pooh thing.

curtkram

is there an "existing Pooh to remain" note in there somewhere?

atelier nobody

curtkram, one of my early jobs was doing themed retail interior design - I have written essentially that note on drawings.

b3tadine[sutures]

Is that President Xi?

tintt

I got a cheerful surprise. Some Canadian plans arrived on my desk. ooooo.

Jan 24, 20 5:42 pm
curtkram

is NS harassing you?

tintt

No these are engineering plans.

Non Sequitur

Ah, mine will certainly come in on Monday then.

tintt

Looking forward to it!

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: