Archinect
anchor

Question for My Esteemed Colleagues

atelier nobody

Would you consider this overly complex building geometry?

Aug 2, 22 8:33 pm
Le Courvoisier

I’m confused, is this a shitpost?

That’s not overly complex, that’s pretty typical in vernacular architecture. 

Aug 2, 22 10:15 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Not quite a shitpost - more of a "dump on my SE" post. My structural engineer thinks it's overly complex...

Aug 3, 22 4:13 pm  · 
2  · 
Miyadaiku

Remember kids, anything other than 90 degree angles is complex building geometry. Also didn't you mean to write "masonary wall".

Aug 3, 22 12:29 am  · 
2  · 
Almosthip

Masonry Wall is the correct term

Aug 3, 22 11:29 am  · 
atelier nobody

Almosthip - I believe Miyadaiku was being facetious...

Aug 3, 22 3:55 pm  · 
2  · 
Non Sequitur

Atelier, that flat roof fascia and stipple hatch is over the top.  Can't afford that many sharpies in this economy.  Please revise to make it look like a typical home despot plastic shed and resubmit.  

On the other hand, must be nice to have a corridor to no-where.

Aug 3, 22 8:01 am  · 
2  · 
atelier nobody

Ironically, this is all going to be metal wall panels, so "home depot shed" isn't too far off from what we're goi9ng to end up with...

(Also, I was going to use a little bit of color instead of the stippling, but it's been so long all my Prismacolors are dried up, and pink highlighter would just look stupid.)

Aug 3, 22 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

The flashing up the short vertical above the lean-to would concern me a bit. It's prefer something greater than 12", more if you want to run finish material.

Aug 3, 22 12:46 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

If it's less than that you'd probably not want an actual wall finish anyway. Shouldn't be that hard as long as there is at least 6" to just use standard product from the metal roofing company and a little metal flashing. If the sub has any real capacity, then they could just custom form something real easy for it.

Aug 3, 22 1:17 pm  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

Thanks, Sneaky - yeah, that's exactly the detail I was discussing with my Revit guy this morning, and am hoping I can come up with a decent sketch for some time today (in between the 10K other details I am frantically trying to sketch).

Aug 3, 22 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is nothing complex in there. Any mortal revit user should be able to whip that up in no time c/w trims/reveals/profiles.

Aug 3, 22 4:18 pm  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

get rid of the existing lean-to addition roof and extend the main roof out, then tie in the corridor roof... where is that corridor going?

Aug 3, 22 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

prefer clearstory over picture windows, makes the corridor roof lighter... I don't know, lots of options, but get rid of the extra lean-to roof

Aug 3, 22 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

My structural engineer wants all the roofs flat - I'm fundamentally opposed to flat roofs whenever they can be avoided. Windows would be nice, but just aren't in the cards for this project.

Aug 3, 22 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

If you're overly sold on lots of roofs, at least line them up, some overhang, provide gutter/fascia at same level, same slope, to clean everything up and make it work better.

Aug 5, 22 8:26 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

I agree, that would be more elegant - it was what I was hoping for originally. Unfortunately, there are other things going on with the existing conditions that are driving the eave heights and won't let us align them...

Aug 5, 22 2:44 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: