Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt the missus and I'll be there in May - and I might be speaking at 3 city Pecha Kucha as well. Will let you know how that develops

Mar 30, 09 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow TC has been busy today! Angus is on spring break so I'll be in and out this week. Tomorrow I have two meetings so Angus' dad is on child care, then Wednesday I'm back on, etc.

Sarah, the bull terrier picture cracks me up. No, that's not my son, but that IS exactly how patient our bully is with him! She's remarkably gentle with the boy. Dogs seem to have a special sense about kids.

The open toe fringed boots on the other hand: ugh. Sorry, they're terrible. They make no sense, right? I mean, the peep boots I loved were canvas, so more sandal-like. I haven't yet seen a pair of leather peep boots that makes sense to me - and the fringe just terrifies me, as techno.

LiG I have to go read your thread now...

Mar 30, 09 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

i would buy it too LIG.

i don't make decisions based on dogma... if the style led to un-useful spaces then i might balk. like our old farm house for instance. wasn't fake or real, was just there - it was so real it never qualified for that kind of existential angst in any way. totally inconvenient and cold however (if you have never had the joy of pumping water into a kitchen sink and then boiling it for the tub in a kettle on a wood stove you don't know what period architecture really means ;-) ). but otherwise style does not interest me as a point for discussing architecture. strange, but true.

as for authenticity, of course neither the 1929 nor the 2005 version is authentic. by definition they are not. probably an "authentic" tudor home built today would be a laser-cut timber frame modernist box. don't forget those homes were of their time and at the cusp of possibility, not backward looking and nostalgic, or at last not the way we mean today. in some ways when we invoke the values of those days we are defying reason. they wanted to make the best building possible, and we instead want to make the best possible copy of a building possible. they are not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination.

nothing wrong with the old stuff however. it is just when we start to assume it is a priori better than what is possible today that i kinda wonder which screw needs tightening ;-)

Mar 31, 09 4:39 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jump, can I go repost your entire post to LiG's thread? Especially that line about your old farm house not suffering under existential angst - that's what I meant by not being "self-conscious".

Mar 31, 09 8:11 am  · 
 · 

sure. what thread is that?

Mar 31, 09 8:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The Christmas morning one...

Mar 31, 09 8:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Jump is my newest Facebook friend. Awesome.

I like LIG"S Christmas thread. I love Voysey and Lutyens and MacIntosh and Bailey Scott. I love mock tudor's, arts and crafts houses etc. and I did work for a place that did do very high end well crafted homes which were not mcmansions and did not use fypon and did not use dryvit. of course, these cribs would set you back several million.

I have great memories of my grandparents' house which is a modest poorly crafted rural three steps above a shack really. my aunt and her husband live there now. but it was in the sticks and had a couple of old pontiacs that didn't run. so we played in them. there was still an outhouse there! for the longest time (there was indoor plumbing!) there was this dark cool room that i loved to take naps in. there was a dump where the trash was burned and was quite fun to play in. (except the time my brother burned his hand with the plastic from a whiffle ball bat that he had set alight in order to burn ants.) It's all very proustian.

Mar 31, 09 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Liberty Bell, I'm glad you hated the boots. I thought they were simply terrible, but they did immedeatly bring to mind your canvas boots, and I thought those were awful too. To each their own, right?

Techno, when are you gonna come through my neck of the woods? I've only ever met one person from jamiaca, no, wait, she was from another island. I dont think I've ever met someone from jamaica. Can I ask you one dumb question, and then I swear I wont ask anymore silly jamaican questions? Do you have a Bob Marley poster?

Yeah, Jump, I wouldn't want authentic, just honest. I hate immoble shutters that are the wrong size for the windows, stuff like that. If you're going to have a pump on a faucet for the look, then by god, it better be a pump faucet, and not just some extra steel to give it a 'look.' Thats all I'm saying.

Dubk, are you ever going to tell us whats going on? I hope you're ok at least.

Mar 31, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

LiG- Thanks, nice projects (@transit)

Mar 31, 09 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No problem, TK.

I finally submitted a proposal for my undergrad thesis, in which I plan to combine my obsession with Cincinnati and my obsession with transit, and develop an architectural master plan for a regional rapid transit system for the greater Cincy area. A coalition of local governments performed a transportation study back in 2002 that identified potential corridors for future light rail routes, but not much has happened since then (the city's current focus is trying to build a streetcar line from downtown to the UC campus). My thesis will be loosely, but not entirely, based on the 2002 study and attempt to flesh out a vision for regional transit in further detail. The Washington Metro system and Portland's MAX light rail system will be used as case studies.

Any ideas or resources I should consider would be appreciated... My thesis "committee" consists of my faculty advisor who is not architecturally trained, and my professional advisor who is a practicing architect. Just as importantly, I plan for this project to be a major component of my portfolio for M.Arch. admissions.

Before anybody asks: No, I won't be designing Tudor Revival subway stations.

Mar 31, 09 10:25 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven
in some ways when we invoke the values of those days we are defying reason. they wanted to make the best building possible, and we instead want to make the best possible copy of a building possible. they are not the same thing by any stretch of the imagination.

awesome post.

working in New England, I've had to be very sensitive to traditional vernacular - but I have a really hard time when I've been asked to make something look like something else. When I think traditional New England vernacular, I think in terms of massing, scale, and materials. I really hate having to dress up a giant modern box as "colonial."

Mar 31, 09 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Well, the baby-making sessions worked. Little did I know I was 2 weeks preggers when I was laid off! I feel great, feel so full of love.

Mar 31, 09 10:59 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats!

Mar 31, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

congrats 'beary!!!!

do you need any hand-me-downs yet?

Mar 31, 09 11:22 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

congrats, strawbeary!

Mar 31, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wooohooo for YOU! I hear its hard to get a job while pregnant though, and that you can't get insurance cause its an existing condition. Hope none of that is a problem for you. Glad you're happy about it.

Mar 31, 09 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Congrats Straw. More social security money for me! woohoo!

Mar 31, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Strawbeary, congratulations! So exciting! And I can't even begin to address how disappointed I am in a system that treats a pregnant woman as if she's diseased.

Also Sarah, I am fine. Extremely anxious, but fine. I guess.

Mar 31, 09 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Thanks! I can only imagine how hard it is going to be to find a job, but who is hiring anyways? Health insurance is covered by COBRA, and is now subsidized so the premiums are actually manageable.

Mar 31, 09 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

truth be told dubK, pregnant women do have Aliens growing inside them, i mean everyone knows that babies come from storks.

it's not until they become teenagers that they become soul sucking life forces, hell-bent on destroying their "creators!"

i kid of course.

congrats beary, i heard that this economy is going to do wonders for our population growth. so all that hemming and hawing about SS, don't worry yourselves, our future planet killers got it all taken care of.

how's that for cheery?

[mumbles to himself about humor being wasted on the young]

Mar 31, 09 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Awwww Beary that's awesome. Many congrats.

DubK - Once again you and I share the exact same sentiments.

Mar 31, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, Beary...

Beta is it just me or have you been less visible lately?

Also, good luck with wrapping it all up DubK...

Mar 31, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am like Kaiser Souze.

Mar 31, 09 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Beta you just need the Will! to do what the other guy wouldn't.

Mar 31, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah, I meant to ask: we know you don't like the Hall and Oates song "Sarah Smile", but how do you feel about Fleetwood Mac's "Sarah"?

Mar 31, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

And YAY!!!! for Baby Beary!!

Mar 31, 09 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I like it, but I like Fleetwood Mac. Rhiannon is my favorite, though...I think. I like the power in it. Makes me feel powerful, and ...oh, maybe thats too much. In any case, FM's Sarah isn't cheesey. It doesnt make me laugh histerically, but I could actually listen to it as part of a playlist. Incedentally, I had to look the song up cause I couldn't place it off hand. ANd I was told I reminded someone of Stevie Nix once. I'm still not sure if that was a compliment or not.

Oh, and I think a guy (early 20s) checked me out at the gym today. I'm kinda glad I was leaving, but still.

Mar 31, 09 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

And Strawbeary, LB's comment begs me to ask...

If its a boy, will you name him Beary? Or Barry?

Mar 31, 09 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my favorite song about Pregnancy, Birth, Babies and of course BreakUp...

Mar 31, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Crazy. Vado, is that song about you? I like the Lily Allen version. Maybe I just like Lily Allen.

Mar 31, 09 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i like that version too. sarah i also really like the solo version by chris difford who was in squeeze.

here is my favorite scene from a movie that mentions FleetwoodMac...

Mar 31, 09 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I need to resee that movie. It was a while ago, and I'm older now. I like to revisit things after a life-change; it gives new perspective.

Mar 31, 09 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Sarah, no, Strawbeary is actually my cat's name. I used it for my archinect name cus he was most likely sitting on my lap when I signed up.

I do have names picked out already...

Mar 31, 09 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Vado's a good name. i'm surprised people don't name their kids Vado.

Mar 31, 09 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Congrats Beary!! It'll be interesting if the baby advice thread becomes second only to TC.

Mar 31, 09 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

my ASLA membership was a victim of the economy today - I don't have the $400 to renew and my office isn't processing expense reports right now. At least I can tack RLA after my name once that check clears....

'Beary, so you're about 6 weeks? hope the first trimester isn't kicking your butt. Hang in there!

Mar 31, 09 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

And more huge conrats for TK and Tuna! (I just finished reading the previous two pages) I am one test away from registration and keep putting off the last test. What does that mean?

Mar 31, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

^congrats. My brain is hurting.

Mar 31, 09 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

6:50 PM and the server just crashed. I guess that's my cue to stop pumping CAD and go home.

Mar 31, 09 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

awesome strawbeary! Wk is too right. pregnancy as illness is just stupid.

speaking of which (the pregnancy) my brother and his wife just had baby a few days ago (he lives in japan too). Japan is trying to encourage motherhood these days so they got a check to cover the hospital bill. no HMO's here, and insurance is mandatory and close to universal, so they went to totally natural clinic instead of hospital (both cost the same more or less). doctors don' encourage drugs here anyway, but sounds like my bro's place was done in some ancient style that involved giving birth standing up...which must have been exhausting for his wife...

LIG, project sounds good.

Mar 31, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 

speaking of sarah songs, how about the one by jefferson airplane? it was part of soundtrack to my illicit youth and still sounds cool in fruity way ;-) i loved jefferson airplane but then they got on a starship.

damn the 80's !

Mar 31, 09 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Congrats Strawbeary!

Tonight is a Rufus Wainwright night for me. All Rufus, all night long.

****melt, yay for another TAL live special. I'd like to go again as I loved the first one BUT Thursday nights are usually work night that I can't weasel myself out of.

Hi all.

Mar 31, 09 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

n_ I hear ya. I'm still waffling about going myself. $20 is a little steep. For whatever reason it seems like it was less last year.

Thanks Dapper. Why is your brain hurting?

Mar 31, 09 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone see this image from the news feed?
About the Jelly Boys..

Mar 31, 09 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Are you actually going to the taping, or to the broadcast?

I tried to get tickets to the taping but forgot about it till the next day and they were already sold out. So I guess I didn't try. Or I did but not correctly. This kind of thing happens a lot...

Apr 1, 09 12:15 am  · 
 · 

love the jelly boys nam. awesome stuff.

Apr 1, 09 3:56 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am going to SF for the AIA National Commiseration Fest 09. now i'll get to see H&D's museum, the Bridge, Stout, and???

Apr 1, 09 6:43 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, this morning I just paid off one of my biggest debts to one of my most obnoxious creditors. It means I'll probably be eating ramen noodles for the next two weeks, but it's one less monkey on my back. Just a few more monkeys to go...

Apr 1, 09 8:02 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Is Puddles still alive?

Apr 1, 09 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Hi all,
It is raining and thudering here in north FL.
Love it. Wish i could lay in my bed listening to the rain hit my tin roof all day..

Apr 1, 09 8:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: