Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

we're trying to get tens of thousands of creative types to move to detroit to revive the city. so far its me, techno and my cat.

Mar 28, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Uhhhh vado - I said I was in... make tso the total is currently at three people and four cats. Geez, that's just pitiful. The cats outnumber the people.

Manta - Why do you need to take the LEED exam? Don't forget you have until Tuesday to schedule an exam, otherwise you'll have to start on v.2009. God, I'm glad that's all over. It really is a horrible, doesn't help that the study guides are full of run-on sentences and other random grammar errors.

Alas, tonight I'm working on taxes and trying to figure out a budget. I've always had one but I'm trying to set one up in Quicken. The only problem is that my Misc catgory is too big... but what does one categorize such things haircuts and drycleaning expenses. Anyone? Anyone?

Mar 28, 09 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm in, if I can find house that is the only house on the block in a new urban prairie and can add a barn for my pigs, cow, and chickens along with the garden.

Seriously: i've long thought urban farming was the perfect plan for Detroit. you could even do greenhouses in the winter. Now that I've seen photographic evidence of the urbane prairie, I'm convinced.

Mar 28, 09 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

new Detroit.
1 melt + 3 cats
1 LB + 1 husband +1 sprout +1 pooch
1 techno +?
1 Vado + 1 cat

Mar 28, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

and tuna seems willing to give up the bright lights of Cincy as well and come with her meowing puppies.

Destination Detroit - "come on you know you want to"

Mar 28, 09 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I agree with Mantaray about Pittsburgh... Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time there, but I've always come away with a positive impression. Maybe I have a thing for river cities with steep topography.

One of my favorite movies (I'm watching it on DVD now, in fact) is Wonder boys with Michael Douglas and Tobey McGuire. It was filmed almost entirely in Pittsburgh, and seems to do a good job of capturing the vibe of the city.

Mar 28, 09 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I'm coming to Detroit too! And I'm going to get a dog! I will live next to lb's urban farm and help with the chickens! And I will grow parsnips and spinach!

The count is now:

1 melt + 3 cats
1 techno +?
1 Vado + 1 cat
1 WonderK + future WonderDog (WonderMan is questionable at the moment, I don't want to talk about it...)

Mar 28, 09 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Manta-
Drop me a note with any intractable LEED Qs that you encounter while studying. If the boss pays for a notch on your CV, might as well take advantage of their generosity.

I still don't see my future in mo-town. TK RLA+Missus+cat+sprout won't help the count much.

gnight, back to the natgeo giant fish in the congo show.

Mar 28, 09 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - I seriously love the idea of urban farming. Detroit would be a spectacular place... my dream... a community vegetable garden. I think it could really work.

Well I just finished my state and federal taxes. I seriously don't understand how I can be getting a super duper chunk o' change back from the feds, but still owe a measly $24 to the state. WTF?

Mar 28, 09 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

By Day I make the cars. By night I make the Bars!

Mar 28, 09 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

those pics are amazing LB.

i found detroit depressing when i was there in the late 80's. i think people were still working then, but the blatant racism shocked me.

lots of urban farming in japan and europe. i wonder if it is happening in USA too?

Mar 29, 09 4:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

those pics remind me just a little bit of a stretch of the south shore train ride from south bend to chicago. parts of michigan city and gary look a bit like that .

Mar 29, 09 9:31 am  · 
 · 

jump, in Seattle we have P-patch's. It's quite a formal organization, I wish there were something slightly less so, but oh well. They're quite nice to happen upon in random bits of the city. I have never participated in one, but then I live in a house where the yard is big enough that we can grow ourselves a little something when we feel the inkling.

Mar 29, 09 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Um, jump: WOW!

Really enjoyed your Op-Ed. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think it's too good for just an Op-Ed, it should really be at least a feature or even an article in a "real" journal. I assume this is a part of a larger body of study related to your PhD you are still developing?

Anyway, really good.

Mar 29, 09 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

wow, lb. you are waaay too kind, but thanks. coming from you that means something.

it does indeed come from what i learned doing phd and is supposed to be the first stab at starting a new project. i am interested in seeing where it goes from here, myself.

Mar 29, 09 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

jump your real name is William!? Wow. I can't believe I didn't know that.

If anyone ever tries to tell you that you'll be freed from Spring-time related allergies by moving to Los Angeles, DO NOT believe them. The flowers are trying to kill me.

Mar 29, 09 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Hi all.
My allergies have been killing me this year. Must be my aging body..

Orhan i am excited for your teaching gig.

Can i joing the urban farm efforts in Detroit?

Have a merry Monday y'alll...

Mar 29, 09 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nam, you're welcome to come to Detroit but I'm disappointed you didn't use the word "wow" in your post - jump, DubK and I had a roll going...

Anyway, jump I put a comment in the op-ed itself but wanted to comment here first. I'm eager to see where you go with the research too. We are definitely in a time of re-evaluating cities.

On allergies, I've had luck with Claritin this year. Actually had to take it a few days so far, not today of course since it's freaking snowing for some reason....

Mar 29, 09 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nice op-ed, jump... I quickly skimmed through it, but I'll have to go back and read it more carefully later. I'm fascinated by how cities gorw and change, so this is right up my alley.

No snow here, but it's been foggy and drizzly all day, and now we're getting a mild thunderstorm. This is our first thunderstorm of the year, so I guess spring must be on the way.

My cat, as usual, has taken refuge under the futon. When he was a kitten he used to sit by the window and watch thunderstorms, and he didn't seem bothered by them. But at some point he must have gotten traumatized by a close lightning strike or something, because now he runs and hides whenever a storm approaches.

As for myself, I love thunderstorms as long as I'm indoors and there's no large hail or tornado warnings involved.

Mar 29, 09 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Why do I keep looking at stuff like this? I shed tears every time I do.

Mar 29, 09 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

LIG, cat under the futon? i had to think twice about that image. here futons sit on the ground like a sleeping bag. animals underneath them would be on dangerous ground ;-)

yeah WK - William, Will, or Bill all work for me. usually for official stuff i go by william, but no one calls me that. in japan i am usually called will-san, which is strange but i guess easier to say than galloway san.

Mar 29, 09 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

Nice work, Will-san. As much as I am one of those who likes to latch on to sustainability as an excuse to densify (all right, I just hate suburbs, ok. It may be irrational on some level, but there it is), I have always been more interested in layering than in clean slates.

Mar 30, 09 12:17 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

jump

you're the second william galloway, architect, i've heard of...

Mar 30, 09 2:59 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Next something truly crazy will happen like - gasp! - I will find out snook's real name :o)

Just to reiterate, in case you missed it and because I just like counting things:

Archinect's Detroit Urban Farm now consists of...

1 melt + 3 cats
1 techno +?
1 Vado + 1 cat
1 WonderK + future WonderDog
1 nam (+ maybe nam-girl?)

At some point soon we will need to discuss farm animals....

Mar 30, 09 3:55 am  · 
 · 

ha! holz.box that is funny. i think there are a few more even. apparently lots of scots with a penchant for naming their kids after kings.

in another odd paroxysm of google-induced misdirection, when i type in my former boss' office name it comes up with links to me instead...which just goes to show, you shouldn't let former staff put your name on their cv's if there is ever a chance of them being published.

Mar 30, 09 4:59 am  · 
 · 
****melt

jump - Do they have trouble pronouncing the "L"? I had a roommate in college who had a horrible time pronouncing my name, as it has an L and an R and neither really exist in the language. Congrats by the way on the article. It truly is a great piece. Thanks nam for instigating it.

Hmmmm, where's Sarah? I feel like I haven't seen her around in these parts for a while. But than again, perhaps it's been b/c I haven't been around for a while.

As for the Detroit farm, goats anyone? How about some sheep? Than we wouldn't have to cut the grass. A cow or two would be fun, but perhaps not too feasible, but definitely some chickens. The idea is really getting me excited.

Mar 30, 09 8:26 am  · 
 · 

farm animals can be stinky.

tuna, you are right. when japanese talk to me it sounds like bi-roo (bill) or oo-ee-roo (will). the former is funny because it means building or beer, too.

hopefully sarah is busy with new job or similar.

Mar 30, 09 8:41 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

LIG....I looked for you in the MAC Store across from the Plaza on Saturday, but the place was jambing....no depression there! To many people to spot even and archinect.

We had a grand time in the City....did the Museum of Natural History, Met and Googie...along with alot of walking eating and drinking.

I think I could live in the Met if they allowed homeless people to take up residence.

Mar 30, 09 9:16 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm not moving to detroit for an urban farm. but maybe i'll send some animals. there's plenty of chickens here...maybe i'll toss in a goat too. and yeah, they are stinky.

Mar 30, 09 9:34 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow, you guys actually missed me, wow.

I've been reading, but wasnt feeling like posting. I'd think, 'Hey, I should post that' and then I'd sit down and feel like 'blah.' Seems the last piece of info they leave out in the baby making saga is that once you close up the diary farm, you go through more hormonal states. Good news is that when I'm happy, I feel like i did in high school; which is nice.

What else, oh still no job prospects, and so Husband wants me to branch out, to apply to CPS and the CIA. Yeah. Strange, I know.

ElleBelle, is that your kid? I got the photo as one of those FW:Emails.

Oh, and I'm out on both detroit and pitsburgh. Its too dang cold up there for my taste.

Mar 30, 09 10:17 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You wouldn't have found me in the Apple Store on Saturday... It's probably going to be at least a few months until I can buy a Mac (I'll most likely put it off until I'm ready to start grad school), so there's not much point in going in there just to drool over a bunch of pretty things I can't afford. Besides, my former roommate works at that Apple Store, and I'd rather shove a sharp pencil through my eye than run into him again.

On Saturday I decided that I needed to get out of Manhattan for a few hours so that my head wouldn't explode, so I took the LIRR out to Forest Hills Gardens in Queens, a planned community fashioned after a traditional English village, not unlike Mariemont, Ohio, although a bit more dense.

Forest Hills Gardens in the summer:

This is probably the time to confess one of my architectural guilty pleasures: I generally consider myself a hard-nosed minimalist when it comes to design, but I have a bit of a fetish for Tudor Revival and Gothic Revival architecture. If money were no object, I'd be very tempted to buy a home like this for myself:

One of my professors at UIC had a strong interest in Romanticism and the Picturesque movement, and I found myself sharing some of that interest. I get nervous when new buildings try to emulate historical styles (it's usually done very badly), but I think there's something to be learned from the scale, materials, and details found in such styles. Despite the best efforts of Dwell, et al, such styles remain popular, and I think it's worth exploring why. Mies Van Der Rohe, despite being the high priest of boxy modernism, lived in a Streeterville brownstone for most of his career.

Anyway, Forest Hills Gardens was a nice break from the pressure cooker of Manhattan, and the Long Island Rail Road was a nice break from the subway... I'll have to head back out there with a camera when the trees are more green.

Mar 30, 09 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LiG, I'm with you. One of the firms I'm considering volunteering at does all of their drawings by hand, and builds exclusively classical block stone structures. They even poche the walls in the floor plans. Its gorgeous. As I see it, as long as the revival is honest, then I'm ok with it. You might want to pay attention to keep the structure inline with its surroundings, but I'm ok with people building classical mansions, or gothic ones for that matter, as long as they stay true to the period styles, and materials. Don't mix pointed and round arches with a doric collumn, and don't try to pass fiberglas and styrofoam for stone.

Forgot to mention what a great weekend I had. We drank mimosas all day yesterday. It was relaxing.

Mar 30, 09 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

One of my co-workers made an interesting observation a while ago: He used to work in one of those firms that does very sleek, minimalist high-end residential design... The type of stuff where all the millwork fits together with the tightest tolerances, and there's not a single arbitrary line or angle in the entire project. If their work were any more minimalist, it would disappear entirely. My co-worker said that most of the employees in that firm didn't come from schools like Yale or GSD, but rather from schools like Notre Dame and Catholic University, where hand drawing and classical detailing has been pounded into their heads for the past five years. Apparently this firm found that they're the only ones who really know how to design proper details.

Mar 30, 09 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Goats would be a must as they are fairly easy to keep (read: self sufficient) animals in my experience...

LB, for some reason these made me think of you..

Sarah, well at least there is an upside.. And did you mean once you stop nursing? Also what is CPS?

Mar 30, 09 11:52 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

yes, thats what I meant. I am 100% my own person now. My body for ME!

And CPS = Child Protective Services

And I saw some boots the otherday that I thought were really ugly, but thought of LB as well. They were an open-toed, open-heeled cowboy boot. Let me see if I can find them. Found Them!

They're at anthropologie. And you can blame those heal/boot things you were lusting after months/year ago, LB.

Mar 30, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well shit, the second image in my post above is no longer appearing. Here's a link to the page where it's hosted.

I may start a new thread on this topic when I have a few spare minutes...

Mar 30, 09 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Franz Kafka Highway, Wyoming:

Mar 30, 09 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

LIG.....we live in a cottswell cottage located in New England. It is all stone with 14/12 roof pitch with the spring line for exterior walls at just around 6'-0". We always have people stopping infront of our house, pointing waving hands. When were in the front yard people stop and tell us how much they love our house, how it has always been their favorite. Even had someone say oh it looks like it belongs in a Kinkade painting, at which I almost hurled on them. Truth be
for a 1,000 sq foot one level house it is very comfortable and filled
with an abundance of light and with all but the bathroom and kitchen with vaulted ceilings and timber framing it feels alot bigger.

The only problem is we have is were not in the Country. I would love to move this house to the country, but being Stone not possible.
That is not on and architects income.

Mar 30, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I started a new thread [url=http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=87221_0_42_0_C]here[url].

I love this little house not far from my Tudor dream home:

You half-expect to see Hansel and Gretel emerge from the front door.

Mar 30, 09 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Oops... here is the correct link.

Mar 30, 09 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
a hard-nosed minimalist when it comes to design, but I have a bit of a fetish for Tudor Revival and Gothic Revival architecture

No offense but I think that makes you schizophrenic - and you may have to be rebaptised in the waters of Corb

it's funny I think my view of minimal rarely co-insides with the word "millwood" it always brings up notions of the art&crafts movement or Wagner details. I think I am detered mostly by the environment these projects were created in with low wage workers living in substandard shanties (perhaps no different than migrant workers in Dubai cramped in mobile sleeping bins (modified containers really but you get the image)

And I'm always distrusting of anyone who thinks their details are the only ones that work; Peter Blake in No Place like Utopia talks of FLW broad brushing details in opposing environments with painful results for the clients... my details work! Sure frank sure!

And to continue the bee obviously in my bonnet - what's with the funky open heel/open toe boots with leather frills. I'm almost frightened by them.

And what's with Thread Central, it's been so gloomy lately. This has always been the source for the architect in us to smile. However it's become rant central now that's a group someone should create. And maybe we can get a green dot on it (versus a red one)

okay back to work

Mar 30, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Ah archi,
Maybe it is just the time of year...
But even though i had a great time in Miami this weekend and felt like i was welcoming spring, I currently feel like i hate my job and wish i was doing something else.
In other words like pooop....
If only i was already out of debt and could move on with my plans...

Mar 30, 09 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, that was a bit of a rant too, wasnt it?

I think its just been that kind of time. I mean, well. I wont go into it.

On the bright side, Husband made Eggs Benedict for breakfast yesterday. They were deliscious - I dont think I will ever figure out how to spell that word. My weekend was so fabulous that I didn't want it to end. And it was especially nice since I had a complete melt-down on friday.

And I filled out the application for any job in for the Texas Department of Health and Human services. CPS wasn't an option, but I could be a clerk or someone who determines who gets umemployment benefits. The application was depressing. It was like filling out an app for Burger King. They listed operating a calculator as a skill!

Mar 30, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

all it needs is time, nam, but sure everything comes up roses for you in the end.

interesting point archi. me i am not bothered by style. i do think fake tudor is mildly stupid, and the idea of pocheing drawings reminds of the blacksmith in the city park where they recreate 17th century canada with live actors who do shit. pure fetish, isn't it.

but each their own. i would challenge any modern classical architect to find better detailing than gropius or lecorbusier in their prime. not talking about waterproofing etc, but the fetishistic stuff that LIG and Sarah are referring to. the quality is no different.

not that a 17th century home bothers me per se. lack of plumbing and the fact it will likely be cold as dickens bottom in winter would cause me to think twice. but based on style? who cares.

Mar 30, 09 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I was out shopping for groceries with the Mrs...she told me we need eggs. So I go buy, free range eggs, heck the 30 cents more a dozen. I think Liberty Bell....on her Urban Farm she might have to to post a sign. Free Range Eggs (No Prision Eggs Here).

Mar 30, 09 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Jump:

I agree there's something to be said for quality of workmanship. The Tudor Revival house I posted above was built sometime in the 1920's or 30's, around the same time Gropius and Corbu were doing their thing.

Would I buy that house, assuming it's been reasonably well-maintained over the years? Absolutely. Would I buy an identical-looking house that was built in 2005? Not in a million years, even though I recognize that, in theory, the Tudor Revival house built in 1929 is arguably no more historically authentic than the one built four years ago. Or is it?

Mar 30, 09 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

lig....our house is vintage 1919....built on the edge of town...but the town grew into a city....so here we be.

Mar 30, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah, I was thinking mostly in terms of style. And as for the pocheing, well, its just fun some times, and I figure if Im volunteering, then I should volunteer where I will have fun, and not just do crappy intern work. I should get paid for that. Would I want to live in a castle, no, but only because it would be drafty, and I imagine maze like. But, if you finished it all out with proper weatherproofing, insulation, and maybe fixed the floorplan, then maybe. I dont really know. I like modern, and contemporary things too, but I'm a girl, and sometimes I want to feel like a princess.

Mar 30, 09 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah you were right, it was a bit of rant. Now all the following posts seem light hearted and entertaining. Speaking of Gropius I hacked a photo of the Bauhaus replacing it with out leaky but colourful arch school building. Then I placed it back on the web. Fun times. But Sarah sounds like you had a great weekend...

Mar 30, 09 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Ahhh poche. That's such a great word. One of my favorites actually. I also like serendipity, facetious, felicity, obsequious. They just flow so nicely off the tongue.

Sorry folks, I've had a strange night. Time for bed.

BTW - LB I finally saw Tara Donovan's exhibit at the CAC, it was a amazing. Not before having dinner at Nada... Atechno I thought about you and missus while I was there. I'm still waiting for part II.

Mar 30, 09 10:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: