Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

vado retro

Ramen noodle sales are up 15 percent. you know how much sodium is in that sheet?

Mar 24, 09 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Guilty Pleasure #221 - Ramen Noodle...that shit makes me miss college.

Mar 24, 09 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oddly enough i was just talking about san francisco's coit tower this afternoon...so maybe that's worth checking out.

Mar 24, 09 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm headed to the Big Apple this weekend with Mrs B to meet up with my older sister who has been in Jersey all week. Actually departing early so we can spend Friday kicking around the City. Mrs. B....is the travel agent, it is funny cause she is from another country yet knows more about NYC than most people who live within a two hundred mile radius....like the Subway prices might be going up on Thursday.

Hope we have good weather...and who knows when we go by Saint John's, LIG might be in his vestments.

I have been wrestling with the residential side of things door hardware an Marvin Windows and doors. Why the frick can't someone figure out is your going to pay extra for a upscale lever handle you would like to have an upscale casement window operator to match the lever handles on your french doors. Oh an what is it with not providing round balls on the pins of your hinges....yikes like doesn't everyone want them on their "Big Mac House"?

I might get to use a "Nana Wall" in another one of my projects....like
16'-0" of clad exterior wood interior.... I called for the cost and they said $1,000.00 to $1,200.00 a lineral foot for the product. So now you figure the steel to hold it up...and the installation....going to look
grand in my little 1,000 sf project.

Mar 24, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Wow, Gin... if I didn't know any better I'd say have a slightly unhealthy fascination with Cincy these days.

Mar 24, 09 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

LIG, I gotta tell you, I'm really perplexed to hear you pining away for Cincinnati so much lately. I barely even knew you lived there. And as someone who's spent more than 85% of my life there, I'm even more surprised to hear that you consider it home and that you suddenly are "homesick" for it. How long were you there? Where did you live? What high school did you go to? And why haven't we compared these notes before?

It's a nice place, and I'm glad I'm from there, but seriously, it's not the Emerald City; and if you think it doesn't have problems, then I don't believe that you actually ever lived there.

Mar 24, 09 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sometimes ****melt and I think too much alike :oP

Mar 24, 09 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Well, not that I feel like I owe anybody an explanation or apology for my personal feelings, but yes, I did grow up in the Cincinnati area. You've known that since 2005 when you gave me the tour of DAAP and we met up with mdler and archtopus for dinner at Skyline. Even back then, I was feeling pretty homesick and strongly considering applying to DAAP for my M.Arch., but ultimately decided to apply to some east coast schools the following year. That didn't work out, so I moved to NYC to enroll in the summer architecture studio at Columbia and seek out a better job while finishing my BA degree. Now I'm thinking about where to go from here.

I grew up just across the river in Fort Thomas, but moved away before I got to high school (I went to Samuel Wolfson High School in Jacksonville, Florida.) But my father, several cousins, and a number of friends went to Highlands High School in Fort Thomas, which is also where I would have gone if we hadn't moved away. I still have a lot a family and friends in the area, and I try to make a point to get back and visit at least once a year or so if I'm able. My parents currently live in North Carolina, but they're planning to move back to Northern Kentucky next year when my dad retires (assuming their retirement savings don't take too many more hits in this economy).

I make a point to keep up with local news and events and I've driven through the worst parts of Over-the-Rhine, so I don't have any illusions about how dysfunctional and reactionary the city can be. It's no Emerald City, but it's no Detroit, either. Fortunately, they've managed to elect some halfway-progressive (or at least half-sane) politicians within the past few years at the local, state, and federal levels, and they've gotten some major developments off the ground recently, so I'm cautiously optimistic that Cincy is beginning to turn itself around... Or at least it was before the bottom fell out of the economy, but Cincy is hardly alone in that regard.

Maybe it has something to do with the whole "grass is always greener" mentality, and it makes sense that if you've spent most of your life there, you'd be eager to get the hell out of dodge. I'd probably be ready to explore some new horizons as well. But having spent approximately a third of my life in Cincinnati, a third in Chicago, and a third moving around to various other places, I think I'm reaching the point where I'm getting ready to settle down and sink some roots... Or re-connect with the roots I already have there. I'm still not sure if Cincinnati is the place where that will ultimately happen, but lately I've been feeling a very strong urge to at least give it a shot.

(Of course, where I end up living next will probably depend on where I get accepted to grad school, but that's another topic...)

Mar 24, 09 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

LiG forgive me for asking but I remembered you saying before that you still had portions of your undergrad to finish. How will this play out with grad school? Are you going to finish one before the other? And if so will you have to head back to where you did it in the first place or can you transfer to somewhere local to finish it up. I'm really just curious I'm only so familiar with US arch.school systems

Mar 24, 09 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Assuming I keep my job for the next year or so, here's my timeline:

Now through this fall: Do my undergrad thesis, externship, and calculus and physics classes, which are the main things I still need to do to finish my undergrad degree. (There's a couple other things as well, but it's more along the lines of documenting stuff I've already done.) If I get really lazy, I could stretch it into next spring if I had to, but I'd rather finish it all by the end of November.

My school is DePaul University in Chicago, but since most of my remaining stuff is independent study-based, I don't need to actually be living in Chicago to finish my degree. (As for calculus and physics, I'll be taking those classes at a community college here in NYC, and they'll be accepted as transfer credit by DePaul.) At some point I'll need to make a short trip back to Chicago to meet with my advisor and professional mentor before I graduate, but that's just a one-day meeting.

Fall 2009: Get my portfolio together (it's mostly already there), get it printed, and apply to grad schools. I'm planning to have the bulk of my undergrad thesis done by then so that I can include it in the portfolio.

Meanwhile, over the next 14-17 months: Remain employed for as long as possible, pay off some debts, and build up my savings.

Depending on where I end up going for grad school, I'd end up moving either in June or August of next year. If I go to UC, I'd most likely be starting in the summer, so I'd be looking at moving in early June.

Mar 24, 09 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I should add: If I lose my job between now and then, I'd probably move back to Cincinnati right away and finish my undergrad degree as planned, even if it means working at Starbucks. New York state unemployment benefits wouldn't even cover my rent and utilities here in NYC, but they'd go pretty far in Cincinnati. (My grandmother in Cincy has an empty apartment on the second floor of her house, which I'd hopefully be able to take advantage of while I get my shit together and look for work, but hopefully it won't come to that.)

Mar 24, 09 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Starbucks isn't hiring.

Mar 24, 09 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My AIA membership fee for this year is already very late. I admit I'm having second thoughts about paying it at all - it's a big hunk of money.

Mar 25, 09 7:26 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oooooh NPR just got a pissed off ranty email from me.

Mar 25, 09 8:43 am  · 
 · 

Morning LB,

LIG... I didn't realize you went to high school in Jax..
I am in Gville and some friends (archinect and other) were from the Jax area...

Also, regarding the nostalgia for Nati...

My father's side of the family is from St. Louis and the MidWest more generally. Although we (my immediate family) only lived in STL for maybe 4 years, I have ever since (like 15 years ago) felt some sort of unexplained connection/sense of belonging with regards to STL specifically and the MidWest in general. I feel like the MidWest is some sort of mythological underpinning to my sense of self. Even though I consider North Florida my "home" in the sense of this is where i "grew up"....

Mar 25, 09 9:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I've spent a total of 8 years in the Midwest now and though I love my house, my job, and my community of friends and acquaintances here I can honestly say I'll never feel the Midwest is my "home" - even if I end up dying with a ton of grandkids all here as Happy Hoosiers.

I think, nam, it relates to the impulses that cause people to move that become the mythologies of their childhoods. My family moved to Arizona when I was 6, and my entire childhood was filled with examples of people leaving the Midwest and East to "go west" like we had done. Everyone we knew was from somewhere else; we were all in the West because we had chosen to be. That's my childhood mythological underpinning. So even though I choose, right now, to be in the Midwest, it doesn't feel like home in the way that the West always has for me.

Mar 25, 09 9:29 am  · 
 · 

What's funny is when we moved to the MidWest we were moving West. As previously we had been in NYC and then Ft. Meyers FL...

Also, you sure do have a nack for testy emails et al...

Mar 25, 09 10:21 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Interesting observations... For better or worse, Cincinnati doesn't really feel like part of the Midwest to me, so I resonate less with the Midwest than I do with the city itself. Given the steep topography and the fact that Cincy was settled much earlier than most other Midwestern cities, the city actually has a very East Coast feel to it, minus the ocean. Most of the older urban core actually feels much more like Philadelphia or Pittsburgh than St. Louis or Milwaukee. (Once you get out into the post-war sprawl, of course, it feels like Anywhere, USA.) Over-the-Rhine could easily stand in for NYC's Lower East Side. I think one of the reasons I liked Philadelphia so much -- despite going through some absolutely shitty periods of my life while living there -- was that the city's topography and neighborhoods reminded me so much of Cincinnati.

Nam: Yeah, a lot of my high school friends ended up going to UF in Gainesville. I even considered going there myself for a while, but even back then I was itching to move back to Cincy and go to UC. Alas, I ended up moving with my family to the Chicago suburbs and waiting a couple years before starting college. (I'm sensing a pattern here...)

Mar 25, 09 10:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you wanna hear a good song bout the midwest...
Download The Midwest Can Be Allright. If you wanna hear a song I wrote download "Jumpin' On The Band Wagon."

Mar 25, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

You'll be glad you did.

Mar 25, 09 10:41 am  · 
 · 

LB,
I should clarify that while I don't think of you being an ornery person you do seem to have a knack for letters to the ditor and other sort of (often necessary) civc reponses....

Or did i just muddy the waters...

Mar 25, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

nam, I got your original intent, no offense taken.

And, I love the word ornery. It describes me perfectly, I think, when I get a bee in my bonnet about something. We had a horse growing up, and yes that look on her face when she got ornery was exactly how I feel when writing responses to posts like Droselle's here.

Mar 25, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - I think your sentiments match my mom's sentiments about the Midwest. She grew up in southern Cali until her family moved to the Midwest when she was in the 8th grade. She's been here ever since, but I don't think it's ever felt like home to her. She's stated several times that if/when my father kicks the bucket (god forbid) she's moving back out west. I wonder if this is why I've never felt completely at home in this city. My dad grew up in NE Ohio so he's pretty much content.

Mar 25, 09 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
Jon Stewart called it
Mar 25, 09 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

glen and i won a special jury selection. we are at the end. bustler

apparently they have one of our two boards up in the special jury citation i am told by one of the attendees.
glen small made those drawings to propose a transportation/settlement scheme. he says he is a systems man.
i as a team mate, i gave them crits as he was doing the drawings. he started the two perspectives in nicaragua and we have been talking about it over the e-mails.
i always thought our proposal was mainly an urban future proposal and i've found the transportation proposal not very spirited in terms of innovation, with the typical employment of light rail, elevated trains underground metro etc (ours as well and against my better judgement)... i was surprised the find out most of the winners chosen this as well, instead of new proposals i was hoping. glen and i even talked about horse transportation back but later gave it up...
however, it was very innovative about the things it started above the ground.
glen, imposed his previous "turf town" prototype and it eventually starting to take the city blocks, densifying the housing units in turf towns super blocks, observing the existing 'spanish grid' allowing triangler buildings to take max. advantage of sun angles, thus emptying large areas on the ground for agriculture, open space and such... the scheme also created valley like conditions sometimes unearthing the buried creeks of los angeles, apparently there are thousands of them. thus the whole proposal supposed a fully sustainable building and urban design protocol that had a 'systematic' approach.

Mar 25, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

today on Fresh Air Frank Portnoy, a former derivatives trader and author of the 1997 yes 1997 yes 1997 book "fiasco" talksabout the dangers of unregulated derivatives trading. it'll make you ornery!

Mar 25, 09 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

The dreaded, "everything's on hold" was just announced. I've commenced removing all evidence personal and incriminating files from my computer.

Mar 25, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

ok, lb...I never checked out your "Where the Wild Things Are" movie because, well, I never liked the book. I cant even tell you what its about because all I can remember is how dark it was. I like bright colourful books. That said, I just caught the trailer on Ellen, and it looks pretty sweet, not dark at all. I'm glad that its got real people in it, and at first I thought it was actual puppeteering, like the never ending story, or some of those other great movies from the 80s.

Mar 25, 09 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

I am super excited about Where the Wild Things Are...

I personally loved the book...

Mar 25, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

just found the trailer (in HD). october is really far away.

Where the Wild Things Are

I loved the book as a kid. I still remember the illustrations vividly.

Mar 25, 09 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, no.

phuyake, thank you for the trailer link but good god just the TRAILER made me cry, I'm afraid the movie itself will make my heart explode!

Arcade Fire + little boy dreaming = liberty bell in tears. Crap I'm such a sap.

Mar 25, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Orhan Ayyüce You and Glen did it up right, congrats! Your both heros in my book!

Mar 25, 09 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Orhan I forgot to tell you, I saw your board at Sci-ARC when I went with tumbles on Saturday night, and I snapped a picture! I knew I was forgetting something...

I liked the idea behind your concept but unfortunately it didn't translate that well in the sketch on the board that I saw. Still, it WAS nice to see such an expressive sketch in the sea of computer generated models.

Overall I thought the competition was a little weak...the ideas were good, overall, but most of the boards were illegible. Many of them I had a hard time just trying to figure out what they were proposing. I liked the student winner's proposal the best.

Mar 25, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven, this is especially for you, but I figure everyone will enjoy it.

Photographs of stunning libraries and bookstores from around the world

Mar 25, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan, the competition entry is beautiful, by the way. I can see that they wanted to give it recognition because it's so evocative of a different world than most of the entries. Congratualtions!

Mar 25, 09 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

Name: Compaq SLT/286 Laptop

Mar 26, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Wow. I cant even imagine having to carry that thing around.

Mar 26, 09 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Your cell phone probably has about ten times the computing power of that thing.

Mar 26, 09 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yep, LiG: I remember my husband holding up his newly-purchased Palm in 1997 and telling our friends "This thing has twice the memory of my first desktop MacIntosh."

Mar 26, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

i remember getting a first computer in 97' and not really knowing what 'windows' is... so, i told the guy that i want a 'color' computer, not a black and white one...
the other day i took my laptop, a dell inspiron 8600 w/ centrino processor, for a coffee spill. the guy said, "don't you want to buy a new one?" i was upset because my computer works fine and does everything. btw, when it dried out, it start to work fine. they were asking $150 just to look at it.

Mar 26, 09 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

its crazy that this whole tech revolution started right under my nose i mean i was there to take advantage of it if i wanted to. but then i realize i don't like to tinker and that i don't really give a damn about technology beyond it working when i turn it on.

Mar 26, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Do You Want To Smell Like Shat[ner]

I DO!

Mar 26, 09 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I had a Texas Instruments calculator given to me in 1976,,,,,it cost well over a hundred dollars at the time. The damn thing never worked properly, I sent it back for repair something like five times before I tossed it the trash.

Mar 26, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My dad had a very early HP calculator - I remember us being in the KMart for-ever waiting for him to decide if he really wanted to spend the money on it (probably comparable to a few hundred dollars in today's money - for a calculator!).

The entry formula: <200> <enter> <300> <plus> <equals> and voila in 9 easy button punches you get 500.

Mar 26, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

my dad built a comuter in the basement when i was a kid. at least my brother said it was a computer. this was before there were computers as we know them today.

Mar 26, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

snook do you remember the sliding rulers and algorithm booklets (pre calculators)?

Mar 26, 09 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wanted to replace the structures book i used in college. "Simplified Engineering For Architects and Builders by Harry Parker" I went on amazon.com and bought the cheapest replacement i could find. Well the book is from 1968! Not that its any different really except in the preface entitled Suggestions page ix, the author advises and I quote, "If you do not own a slide rule, get one (with a pamphlet of instructions) at the first opportunity. The ability to use it is readily acquired, and in a short time it will bcome indispensable."

Mar 26, 09 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm feeling low today. Maybe its just the weather. I figure everybody has low days. Hope it goes away.

Mar 26, 09 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

we got an IBM PC in 1981 (the second year it was out) - two 5 1/2" disk drives and maybe 64KB of RAM, green monochrome monitor. I learned rudimentary basic, then forgot every line of coding i knew. Zork was about the best game we had. I never mastered 'flight simulator' because it was really boring to fly around a flat green landscape without any drama when you crashed.

Mar 26, 09 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm still alive.

Mar 26, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: