Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

treekiller

hi VADO!!!! hi LB!!!!

I get to write sustainable design copy all week - yippee!

Jan 5, 09 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So wheres he been, LB?

And Steven, I cant get the flickr page to load.

Now that the holidays are done, I'm to call several offices and send a thank you note to the guy who interviewd me.

Oh, and my oven took a crap on me yesterday. I'm hoping husband can fix it, so I cleaned and scrubbed it this morning. Yuck. It sucks not having an oven. The thing is 27 years old, but Husband promised we could remodel the kitchen in 2010, so its silly to buy a new oven now, only to replace it in a year.

Jan 5, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

It's 31 degrees here, but thankfully it's finally sunny - so I drove home from the appliance place with the top down on the car.

Sarah, we need a new DW, which is why I was at the appliance place. Didn't find one I can afford, s it will wait a bit. But can't you guys go ahead and buy the oven you want now, and re-install it in your new kitchen next year? I think that;s a better - less wasteful - option than buying a cheap interim that you throw away when you remodel? That assumes, of course, that your exg oven can't be fixed.

Jan 5, 09 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I knew someone would ask that. Heres the rub... currently, I have a drop-in range, and I'm hoping during the remodel to move the water-heater somewhere else, and instal double wall ovens in its place, and to install a countertop stove (gas maybe) with open space underneath. So, I have to get a whole new style. As a matter of fact, when the time comes, I may ask your professional opinion, Liberty Bell, since the kitchen is small, and I may need some extra ideas from someone who would know.

Jan 5, 09 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh yeah, if it cant eb fixed, then I may try to convince husband to simply get that fancy countertop oven, but I havent priced it. Or, I may just make like a pioneer woman, and do without. I've got a toaster oven, so I can still toast the bagels, but there wont be any lasagna or tenderloin for a year.

Jan 5, 09 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

SH....the man of the house will grow tired of not having lasagna or tenderloin....and spring for the oven even if it means he has to tear apart a couple more motors in order to pay for it. That is my take knowing that I love Lasagna and tenerloin.

Jan 5, 09 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

LB you should check with your contractors.....I have had the opportunity to pick up a dishwasher from a contractor (Boshe) just because of a remodel and they wanted to upgrade to something newer. The one in their kitchen was only but a year old. Sometimes contractors will toss it in the shop until someone comes along needing one.

Jan 5, 09 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i don't need no oven as long as i can have my appletini's.

Jan 5, 09 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Good to see you back, Mr. Retro.

Jan 5, 09 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

back from my blog-cation.

Jan 5, 09 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ever start a thread, and then find yourself afraid to go back in?

Jan 5, 09 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Beta - if it's the thread I think your referring to, I can totally understand. I was going to make a comment, through another thing in for discussion, but I am scared I might get my head bitten off. Sheesh!!!

BTW - When do you start at your new job? Memory has me thinking it's sometime soon.

HI VADO!!!! Welcome back. Hope you had a fantabulous blog-cation.

Jan 5, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Steven -- that's maybe not the most inspirational view of Louisville, I'm assuming? ;)

Jan 5, 09 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

betaman, i think i got suckered in but i am ready to leave. people are talking about rocket attack from tijuana, as babies being buried in gaza!

Jan 5, 09 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

no, manta, but it's one with a '265' sign...

Jan 6, 09 7:40 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Yeah Orhan - what's up with that? It's just a cat fight in there.

How does one accidentally spill prescription pills into cake batter?

Jan 6, 09 8:22 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Before I go making a new thread I thought I would post here. I have this vague memory of someone starting a thread about the British Building Code, more specifically in regards to restrooms. Does this strike a chord with anyone, or is my memory failing? Let me know. There are lots of questions here regarding this and I need assistance. Thanks.

Jan 6, 09 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I dont think I've ever seen one, Melt, but I've been hiding in TC for the past few months, so I couldve missed it.

Jan 6, 09 9:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I don't recall it either, melt.

Jan 6, 09 9:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

when i was in england staying at my exgf not fw's place, which was the top story of a 17th century manor house. i banged my head on the slanted bathroom ceiling at least four times. other bathrooms i visited (although i don't really remember going to the bathroom that much, i'll have to check my diary) were just like the one's here...

Jan 6, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 

tuna maybe you can ask the thread finder here

Jan 6, 09 11:39 am  · 
 · 
AP

hello from sunny Miami!

view from the hotel we stayed in for my friend's wedding on Saturday

Mom's backyard

...back to the NYC winter tomorrow...

Happy New Year everyone!

Jan 6, 09 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Thanks Orhan- After banging my head against the wall, my questions was finally answered. I'll definitely have to keep that thread in mind the next time, as the search engine didn't bring up anything.

AP - WOW!!!! Beautiful photos

Jan 6, 09 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Anybody have a large version of the Very Hungry Caterpillar, and some free time? I need the apple, pears, swiss cheese, sausage, ice cream cone and cupcake scanned in.

Jan 6, 09 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah I have the book but no scanner, sorry.

BTW, vado lives a much more interesting life than I do. Than most of us do, actually.

Jan 6, 09 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Is he an international spy? I could see that.

And its cool. I scanned in the small one I have, and ended up not having to upsize the images. .....I was making invitations for Abrams birthday. Theyre going to be so Kickin', I cant wait to print one out, and put it together! I am way to excited about it. Feels good to be creative again. I'm totally hopped up on excitement - good thing you guys cant see me. Maybe I will photograph the invite so you guys can get excited too. And, sure, you could come if you wanted.

Jan 6, 09 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Please do share the invitation!

Jan 6, 09 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

The Dante Society called me to let me know that my life was a finalist for one of the 9 circles of hell. cool!

Jan 6, 09 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

sarah, my mom-in-law doesn't have a stove, just the standard fish grill (basically a salamander) that comes with most gas hobs here. Baking is not part of Japanese standard cooking practice.

me, i have microwave and convection oven all in one beautiful machine that works for everything. i don't know if it is only for sale in japan but i want one wherever i go from now on. I use the fish grill to do toast (and sometimes fish for breakfast). That is two, yes TWO objects of clutter removed from our 2.4 meters of kitchen counter that I am so grateful to be done with. coffee maker bread maker and rice cooker take up too much space already, but am not ready to get rid of ANY of those...

btw sarah, when i make cards for my girls i often use google images to find stuff. you can arrange according to size to be sure to get the big stuff, and might be surprised to find all kinds of images scanned in and waiting for questionable consumption.

i also have found entire books and essays through google, by typing in the first sentence or two of same. people don't always post the documents with proper titles but the contents will bring them out.

oh what a world google has wrought.

Jan 6, 09 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

is THAT what lb meant by interesting, vado?

Jan 6, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

treekiller! Check your Facebook, I emailed you back 5 days ago, I don't know what happened....

I'm alive, BTW. Working away. I'm trying to get this web site up and running in the next week. Fingers crossed.

Jan 6, 09 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Jan 6, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Congrats vado! Wow I didn't know that song was from 1966. Good song.

Jan 6, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay for me, I finally joined Facebook. Send me those friend requests things I'm trying to build my credibility (Note: before I even have a photograph of myself up...)!

Jan 6, 09 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

Yay, I've got a new friend!

I don't actually know how I'm going to survive this quarter... There are not enough hours in the day, and I'm already feeling sleep deprived. Thank goodness I don't have to prepare lectures every week this time around though, so this week is a special(as is specially heinous) occasion!

Jan 6, 09 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

you know what feels awesome?

receiving a proposal for services (waaay over inflated) and then turning it around and asking for 1/3 the proposal or better, since you have a similar company offering the same services at a lower price.

now, if they bite, that's another thing...

Jan 7, 09 8:14 am  · 
 · 

hi everyone, I'm still enjoying the last few days of the missus Christmas visit. I should be back more regularly after the weekend, but I'm likely to be a grumpy mess as well. I follow up on the reading when I can and see vado made the 12k post. Wow it seems like yesterday he posted that he reached 9k, then 10k - he's unstoppable. And always a useful quirk here or there in them as well.

Jan 7, 09 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Hi Archi.
Also i have a new friend or two myself.
Yeah!!! Facebook. (i am looking at you n_ and LB)

Happy hump day y'all.

Jan 7, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I thought maybe Vado was kicking up his heals with the Goth Babe.

Jan 7, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

funny you should mention that snook...

Jan 7, 09 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

n_ I want to be your friend.

Jan 7, 09 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

i don't know half of my face book friends...

Jan 7, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

must be one of the symptoms of fame, o.

Jan 7, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

They're changin the name to DonnaFaceBook.

Jan 7, 09 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

it is like a ponzi scheme. it sends invitations to everyone in your address book if you let them. i caught it just before one last click.

Jan 7, 09 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

vado are we facebook friends?

Jan 7, 09 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just purged about 30 people from my Facebook friends list because I had no idea who they were. In most cases, these were profiles with 400+ people on their friends list, but not a single wall post, comment, or status update. It's as if they've set out to add as many Facebook friends as possible for some nefarious purpose.

Jan 7, 09 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

face and for real orhan!

Jan 7, 09 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have been hanging all day at the computer. The weather outside if frightful....lots of fricking Ice. So I figured be best if I kept my Ass
in place. I have been bumbling along most of the day with little or
no inspiration working on three different projects.

One is some Steel Cable Railing. I think I'm going to be using "Alantis Railing"for this project. Has anyone ever used it. The product looks a littleless high tech than some of the others and a bit more nautical. Themother company actually does make rigging for sail boats and the like. I would sure like to hear what people have to say about it.I'm not sure if I want to go polished stainless steel or brushed stainless steel. I hope to finish this project up in the next day or so and Winter Money is always good.

Then I have been shifting walls around on an existing floor plan in a "Memory Unit".....a friendlier way of saying Alzhemers Unit. It is kind of one of those big gig saw puzzle exercises. I don't think the,
"Theory Dudes" have a name for it.

My other primary task was to put together a formatt letter for a client
which is a letter of intent for a Contract so that the contractor can start ordering shop drawings for steel.

I'm also looking at a proposal i need to put together for and addition and remodel on an existing building.

I don't know why I' so fricking bored.....only thing I can figure is because the sun has not show itself all day.

Congrats...on Face Book Liberty and Congrats on 12,000 Vado...and with the Goth Lady Libarian (i think). Congrats Ratio on the Buddy!

Keep the post coming so I don't fall asleep. OBTW did Bernie Madoff send anyone here some Jewelry?

Jan 7, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

I've just friendeded everyone here. It was inevitable and resistance shall be met with song, merriment and intoxicants. Or money, which pretty much an intoxicant.

Can I buy love from anyone else?

Jan 7, 09 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: