Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

Lars - sorry to hear about the job, but I'm happy that you are so optimistic.

Atechno - don't those bills just suck?

Jan 11, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Aw, man. I just Rick Rolled myself when searching for Julie Snow... second hit on Google.

Only TC would understand my disgust.

Jan 11, 09 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah I never heard that expression before "rick rolled" funny! I will add it to my list of quirky americano lingo

Jan 11, 09 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Heehee, it's annoying but funny to be rickrolled, JustWhy!

I just paused My Father The Genius to heat some water for tea. Will report more later.

Jan 11, 09 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Sunday night. A bit late. Time for bed.
Had a great weekend. How about you all?

Lars, sorry to hear about the job. Seems like Archinecters are dropping like flies in that regards..

Archi, Why yes. Of course; everything from Buju Banton, Sizzla or Mavado to older stuff like Sugar Minott.
Love it.,.

Jan 11, 09 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well My Father the Architect was good. really good, actually, as a very personal portrait. But very sad, too, for someone who has been very under-appreciated.

Jan 11, 09 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

Archi, or these songs for example..

link

Jan 11, 09 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
some person

techno: here's the wikipedia entry for Rick Rolled.

My definition is: when you click on a link, expecting it to be one thing, and it turns out to be something completely different and oddly funny.

Jan 12, 09 12:29 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Comment on Jezebel about Angelina Jolie's dress at the Golden Globes last night:

This dress does absolutely nothing for her. She looks like an architectural column.

So I agree that the dress was ugly, but is looking like a piece of architecture a bad thing?!?

Jan 12, 09 9:19 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Listen people, I know getting beFacebooked is all hot-to-trot at the moment but I need names people! NAMES! I will then surely add.

Its below freezing up here in Ye Olde Cape & Island - with some really beautiful snow fall. And thankfully I didn't find the one iced up and frozen puddle to slip in on my way into work this morning.

Hope all are having a swell day!

Jan 12, 09 9:40 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Lib - architectural columns don't have tits, therefore, no one cares. Obviously this commentators knew nothing of the Karyatids....

Jan 12, 09 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Well, Husband fixed the oven! I knew he could. It was just a melted wire. We replaced it with a high heat wire. Works like new! So I made biscuits for the first time, and I know some of you wont understand, but they came out tasting like yankee biscuits. They werent fluffy like a good southern biscuit, they were dense. I'll have to work on them....I think that using all low-protien flour and more butter might fix the problem.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Jan 12, 09 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Nam I'm impressed, most impressed. You need to come visit before you leave the state since you are so close anyway. And I would pay good money to see you do the "nuh linga"

Jan 12, 09 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Morning all,
Archi,
If I end up leaving the state soon, I will make sure to visit before i do.

And I would also love to see myself doing the "Nuh linga"

Jan 12, 09 11:02 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

period. there is a facebook group full of archinecteurs with their 'nect names. I've been unmasked several times in TC and in my school blog.

Jan 12, 09 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Sarah yankee biscuits are tough and inedible? Lol you are right I don't understand. Granted I've only had southern style usually with corn and slightly sweet, that makes it hard to eat just one. Add an R in the pronunciation - for some brisket and we have a meal. Damn I miss Texas

Jan 12, 09 11:24 am  · 
 · 

dot you can also click on our nome de plume's - some have their real names hidden there.

Jan 12, 09 11:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

britches go to the archinect groups on facebook. people usually have their handles on there.

my father the architect wanted me to pull my hair out. as i stated on here before the fact that louis kahn was dropping illegimate children with his mistress here and his secretary there didn't seem to upset the children at all. since he was an artist. if he had been a car salesman or an accountant, i doubt they would have been so sympathetic. of course, there wouldnt have been a movie either.

my grandma used to make these great fluffy bisquits. i don't think she ever made scones though.

Jan 12, 09 11:37 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

burn! skewled by the 'nectors!

Jan 12, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

This mention of biscuits suggest to me a lack of mentioning cornbread. And it is a vital substance indeed. As a personage of southern heritage I miss me some good cornbread (currently in yankee territree).

Jan 12, 09 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

I'm confused. Is "My Father The Architect" the same movie as "My Architect"?

By the way, Periodbritches, your theory might be correct because I remember what caryatids are but I thought the male counterpart was "atlantids" which is apparently not correct...

Jan 12, 09 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Yeah, corn bread is mighty tasty stuff. And no, the biscuits weren't inedible, they had good flavour, but they lacked the crumbly, tenderness, and moisture of a good biscuit. Like I said, I'll try agian later.

Jan 12, 09 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Not to summon the spirit of Paula Deen TOO much but: thats what southern baking is all about. BUTTAH!

Jan 12, 09 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am referring to My Architect. Not saying don't watch it or that its not good. it is worth watching. i'm just saying that they didn't seem to criticize his decisions at all. it was all forgiven because people like us go and take pictures of the details of his buildings and former students and colleagues have fascinating anecdotes. ask the father what it wants to be.

Jan 12, 09 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Awe, Vado, you're just jealous. Not everyone can have lots of mistresses and illegitimate children.

Side note, Is that even a correct term these days?

Jan 12, 09 12:35 pm  · 
 · 

SH,
I second peridot's comment. The secret to super flaky Southern style biscuits is lots of butter and buttermilk...

Jan 12, 09 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the secret to biscuits and all things flakey crispy is cold. keep the butter cold. keep the dough cold. until they hit the hot oven.

so who is pieriodotbriches?

Jan 12, 09 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Just stopping in to say "hi" and sorry I haven't been around much. We laid off over half our staff by now. OUCH! I am taking it day by day as there is NOTHING to work on. So, I'm working on having a kid instead, which is FUN.

Jan 12, 09 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

That sucks about the layoffs... Sorry to hear about it, Lars.

I'm back from Denver, and still barely caught up on sleep even though I took the morning off. Here are some photos from the trip.

Now back to adding dimension strings to floor plans....

Jan 12, 09 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Strawbeary,
Let's hope not at work? :p

Good to hear from you and good luck.

Jan 12, 09 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

The phrase 'Dimension Strings' have a magical, futurist, Eisteinian quaff-esque sparkle to them. Until you end up chasing a 16th around for a few hours because the damn snaps have been rescaled by CAD gremlins.

Jan 12, 09 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Just set the precision to 1" and hope somebody else has to answer the RFI's. :)

Jan 12, 09 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

thanks all for the condolences (is that the right word?)

i've been waiting to get laid off so that i didn't have to quit.
glad i don't have to go into a job where i don't really have anything to do... and definitely nothing i want to work on. i think we're both better off for no longer being associated.

i've been productive and full of energy since friday. i finished two paintings yesterday, sent my tax info to my accountant today and i'm working with my roomie to put a website together today. i'm also knitting some hats...soon to be on my flickr account. i'm going to try and talk to a local cnc mill to make some furniture for me to take to talk to some local furniture stores as well.

hope all are well out there and stay happy

Jan 12, 09 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

wow, Lars, you have been busy.

Straw...do you mean what it seems you mean? Really? I hope it was good news! And that my thread is/was helpful.

Jan 12, 09 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

the only other person that writes like that period is quondam... any connection?

Jan 12, 09 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Wow, that is so weird. I was thinking the same exact thing TK.

Jan 12, 09 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Oh, possums, do apologize - my previous comment should read 'has' and not 'have'.

I should probably stop doing tequila shots at lunch just to save grammatical face!

Jan 12, 09 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

peridot is NOT quondam. Peridot, all of my friends but one (Castleberry) are 'nectors.

My Father the Genius is the film I saw last night; it is about Glen Smalls. My Architect is about Lou Kahn; I have not seen it.

Strawberry: Yay!! When are you due?!? How do you feel?! Are you even pregnant yet, and if not have fun trying!!! I'm all about baby talk.

5:20 on a day like I've had today and I don't have a drink in my hand?!? Off to fix that...

Jan 12, 09 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

lb, what did you think about glen? isn't he the egocentric monster and the genius in the same time. all the characters in the movie are friends except a few. probably i would be in the movie too if i was around at the time they were shooting it.
i think it is a great movie about an architect. i think there are thousands of architects like glen, completely ego driven and in the same time extremely creative. glen never makes an attempt to hide any of it. it is all what you see about him. his honesty is very uncanny. and, it doesn't help him at all with his professional life as an architect.

Jan 12, 09 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know i am really getting sick of these public service announcement and news segments about the switch over to digital tv. wtf. every night there's a story about it on t.v.

Jan 12, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I once worked on a project that required us to use 1/256th precision. Talk about anoying.

Nice to see you drop by Straw, it's been a long while.

Jan 12, 09 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i think Strawbeary meant that Straw is "working" on a kid, as in "working." which everyone knows, "working" on a kid is much more fun, than the baking....;-]

Jan 12, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

WORKING on making the baby, not BAKING yet.

Gin, sorry I missed your trip out west! If I'd have known, I would have gotten a welcoming committee together. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

Jan 12, 09 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

lars, sorry to hear about the job loss, but glad you are optimistic about it. I'm at the point where I still have to show up everyday, but literally have nothing to do. Faking work for 8 hours a day really stinks. Finding something to put on my timesheets every week is even worse.

Jan 12, 09 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

see....you, you sillies.

have fun beary, let us know if you have any tips.

[urlhttp://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9903EFDD1430E132A25754C2A9639C94689ED7CF]Not To Be a Debby Downer[/url]

Jan 12, 09 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Not To Be a Debby Downer
Jan 12, 09 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

let me know if YOU have any tips. :)

Jan 12, 09 8:54 pm  · 
 · 

hi straw - it's been ages. Glad to see you are making use of the down turn in the economy. _ligatures not sure how you found that but the use of language "blew his brains out" is quite comical

I had a bottle of red wine with a dear friend/ex gf....each. Unfortunately I did it on an empty tummy and am feeling the walls of the room spinning and closing in - and funny i thought this was going to be a sober moment

Jan 12, 09 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Jan 12, 09 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

WOOHOOO!!!! Thanks Techno!

Good Luck Strawbeary. Maybe you should try to NOT make a kid, since thats what worked for me. I still think about it, but only in a joking sort of way. Abram's cool, and pretty funny. Oh, and strange kid story for Car-Guys..... We took Abram on a drive in the Mustang on Sunday, and everytime Husband shifted through the gears, Abram could be heard in the back humming along. The kids not even a year old, and he's already a motor-head. Help me.

Jan 12, 09 10:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: