Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

****melt

OMG!!! I just discovered that instead of reading the text messages I receive for myself, I can just hit a button and it will read it out loud for me. Utterly ridiculous.

Jan 3, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

oh, now that makes drunk texting even more fun!

Jan 3, 09 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Wow, let's see... that's a tough one ****melt because this has been going on for about 5 years now and there have been many. Right now, I'm reading "Black Dog of Fate" by Peter Balakian, about what it's like to grow up the child of a dispora (Armenian, in this case); the next one I have is about a South African boy growing up; I recently finished Sloane Crosley's "I Was Told There Would Be Cake" which is excellent for someone of Gen. X/Y; I have "Maiden Voyage" by Tania Aebi by my bookshelf but haven't started it yet; I re-read both of Roald Dahl's autobiographical volumes (first one called "Boy" and second... I'm blanking); I read one written by one of the first female bush pilots in Africa; been reading all of Sarah Vowell's stuff, which is a mixture of autobiography and non-fiction, historical essays; I'm Not The New Me by Wendy McClure (that one's fluff, but funny); let's see, read Three Cups of Tea, which is actually a biography; read North Star Over My Shoulder, which is one of my favorite books of all time, but you have be into flying; hmm... there are many more, but my brain is freezing up. That's just the last year or so. My mother has much more literary tastes than I; some of these were borrowed from her (I typically choose from among the lightest of what she reads) and the rest I have kind of dove off on my own to read. Everything by Dave Eggers, although he does start to get on my nerves after awhile (I should have left more space between his books). Everything by Bill Bryson, and the same rule goes for him...

My next winter attack will be LINCOLN (the big one). Then possibly Team of Rivals, if I can stomach it.

Two biographies I read this past year that were both excellent were Robert Kurson's Crashing Through (amazing!) and Shadow Divers (gripping).

Jan 3, 09 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Oh, and "Night" by Elie Wiesel.

Jan 3, 09 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

The funny thing is, I can't *stand* reading blogs. WonderK's is the only one I read.

Jan 3, 09 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Wow, they all sound very interesting, especially the one about the female bush pilot (seriously). Have you read Kaffir Boy? It's about a black South African growing up during the Apartheid. I read it many years ago for school, but absolutely loved it.

Jan 3, 09 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Ah, my mother recommended that one to me; she has it as well. I will check it out, thanks! (Mom's library comprises 8 full-height lawyer's bookshelves, each shelf stocked with a double-row (one in front of the other) of books and more lying horizontally on top of each of these rows. It is heaven. Every time I visit I come away with arms full. She also recommended... shoot... the one with the cover picture of a little black boy running away from the camera down a dirt path with green grass on each side--it came out this year--I think it's memories of a child soldier... there were two child soldier memoirs that came out this year and she recommended both.

"West With The Night" is the one about the female bush-pilot; her name is Beryl Markham. Check out that endorsement by Ernest Hemingway! I loved this book.

Actually What Is The What is very good if you haven't read it. And on the sad side, "...Tomorrow We Will Be Dead" (account of the Rwandan genocide that inspired the movie "Hotel Rwanda") is so phenomenal that it's really in a class of its own. It ranks as my #1 all-time favorite with a book called "Rivertown" right after it.

Mom reads a lot of post-colonial Asian-American women's memoirs, if that subject interests anyone. I tend to stick to the African & Indian (sub)continents. She got started reading via Rudyard Kipling, so I guess we've always liked these sorts of stories. I can't seem to get into him myself.

...wow, I'm shutting up now.

Jan 3, 09 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

manta - I think you're mom and my mom must be related. There are books all over the house. As soon as she fills one bookcase to the gills she starts on another one. She's got like 10 books at any given time in queue. She and my dad have an audible.com membership too. Talk about a book addiction.

I thought about reading What is What after listening to Diane Rehm interview the author, but just haven't gotten around to it. I may actually download it and listen to it instead, as it's one of the many that my father listened to.

Jan 3, 09 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

you're michigan is showing, lb. i'd never say 'pop'. 'soda', maybe.

not so much memoir as topical memoir-ish article, but a favorite of mine is the title essay 'a supposedly fun thing i'll never do again' by david foster wallace.

Jan 3, 09 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Archinect '09 seems to have pre-checked the "notify me" box for everyone on every thread.

I hope Orhan doesn't have any problems handling Mr. Eternity over here; we all know Orhan is truly eternal and thus doesn't need to call himself so.

Jan 3, 09 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Haha, Steven, in the soda v. pop debate I've never know which side I'm on because I really never use either of those words! I say Coke or Sprite or whatever, or I say "My stomach wants something carbonated".

Jan 3, 09 9:49 pm  · 
 · 

well i apparently can't use your/you're correctly this evening. time for bed.

in new orleans i loved that the soda/pop dilemma was solved so neatly and simply: 'i wanna co'drink'.

Jan 3, 09 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
'yo'

oh, and i was getting emails from that max guy all last week after i signed that damn petition. he'll only do damage, if there is a cause. not that i'm not willing to wade in, if there is something useful to be done. i'd stick with laru, if it comes to that.

Jan 3, 09 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

ok, so i must be really tired because now i'm also guilty of making unfairly disparaging comments. i just checked my emails and i don't think mr eternity was at fault for the correspondence i got. still not sure about his leadership on this issue, but he's not at all guilty of spamming like i insinuated.

Jan 3, 09 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

He may not be a spammer but he's a nut.

Just watched a movie called Sweet Land, predictably, it made me cry. My Father the Genius is next on Netflix, about damn time, right dear Abra?!?

Jan 4, 09 12:02 am  · 
 · 

Mantary if your mum is into post-colonial writers, particularly in reference to the Asian Diaspora (Orientalism) she probably has a few Edward Said in there. I highly recommend any of them also Bernard Lewis. Also your mum sounds quite like my dad, we grew up with his books spilling out of every crevice, but lost about 90% of his novels (the texts and classics were saved) during the hurricane of '88. Now he's more selective in his reading choices, and hasn't sought to replace the lost books. I worry about mine - 150+ books 3/4 in a garage in montserrat

Jan 4, 09 1:22 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I think partly in reaction to my mom, and partly due to my own nature, I have an aversion to owning books. I love them; I read them constantly; I check them out from the library and give away those that I'm given (after having read them, of course!). I can't stand having books around, unless they are the very rare few that I either can't find anywhere else, or treasure too deeply to give up for some reason. I feel bad for my future children -- they won't grow up with the constant invitation to reading wonders that I did, being surrounded as I was with my mother's books. But, tant pis. I can't stand owning things that have to follow me around and fill up my living space.

Jan 4, 09 1:35 am  · 
 · 

tant pis? I think the fact that I am mono-lingual is catching up with me, pray tell what does that mean?

Jan 4, 09 1:55 am  · 
 · 

tant pis, means "nevermind" or something doesn't it?

no ritual for bathing sarah. just get into a shallow bath the size of a swimming pool and hot as heck (japan is slightly volcanic after all), and relax. one is expected to shower and wash hair and body first of course, but that is about it. it is intended to be communal, but since i am in family of girls i usually am alone. best is when you go with a group of friends.

i used to say pop, but now i say pepsi or coke or whatever. in japanese that is the only option available and it has carried over to my english. funny how one language can affect the way a person speaks in another...

Jan 4, 09 3:23 am  · 
 · 
farmer

jump: i thought 'tant pis' meant 'so much the worse' - the opposite of 'tant mieux' which means 'so much the better'

but i may be wrong. I am not bilingual - unfortunately - in this bilingual nation despite 6 years of French in school and 2 at university. I enjoyed 4 years of Latin in high school much more, mainly because we had a teacher who looked like audrey hepburn! also tried to teach myself NT greek - which I loved as much as Latin. but I am not a languages person

Jan 4, 09 6:29 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Jump, is it communal between the sexes, or segregated? I understand that you have daughters, but I dont see why your wife couldn't keep you company. Still, sounds lovely.

Manta, I'm with you on the book thing. I have all the books that are related to my field, but after that, I try to only keep the ones I found enlightening or had some profound connection too. I loved Kipling when I was little, though they werent the biographical tales. Riki-tiki-tavi was my favourite - I cant wait to read it to Abram. Actually, I cant wait to read lots of things to him. I did keep all the golden books from my childhood, but they are easily boxed and stored once grown out of.

Can you believe it was 80 degrees here yesterday? I took Abram around in his wagon, and we played outside. Today, its in the 30s. I know its Texas and all, but sheesh!

Oh, and from what LB said, that book sounds fun. I really should read more, but everytime I grab a book, a certain infant I know decides he wants to read it instead. I was reading this book on cooking science which is actually pretty cool, and "the Happy Death" by Camus - husband picked it out. The first is by the old woman that shows up on "Good Eats" from time to time, and the second is sort of a prequal/draft of "L'Strange" (Ok, Frenchies, is that correct?)

And I associate blush wines with wimpy girls, like apple-tinis. Speaking of, wheres Vado?

Jan 4, 09 9:44 am  · 
 · 

Hey all Happy 2009 (have i posted since then?.),
Sarah did you just burn Vado?

I was going to say I have never heard Tant Pis (thinking it was slang) then read further and realized it was French.

Most of my books are one I had to read as a student. However, in recent years i have started collecting more novels and short story collections etc. Plus anytime i come across an old childhood fav i buy it (for that future time when i might have a kid to share it with)..

My LP collection is definitely more extensive than my book one though.

Jan 4, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

whoops, sorry, guys. 'tant pis' means 'too bad, oh well' basically rolled into one. 'tant mieux' means 'all the better!'.

Ooh, Sarah, you've reminded me -- like you, I've actually kept every single book I had as a child, knowing that I will want to read them to my children. They are in boxes in storage -- I had forgotten about that. As for Kipling-- I never read Riki-tiki-tavi or the Jungle Book or any of them, sadly -- my mother's favorite was Kim -- but I *did* love the Jungle Stories, did anyone else ever read those? "How The Leopard Got His Spots"? "How The Rhinocerous Got His Skin"? mmm, so good. So likely culturally innappropriate these days but so imaginative nonetheless.

I used to work in the children's department of a bookstore though so I am just ever so slightly obsessed.

Jan 4, 09 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

Does anybody know of a location or thread on archinect that specifically discussed Architecture Lingo? I see a lot of words and terms used on here at various times and I really don't know what many of them mean.

For example, the word I'm currently interested in is "unresolved". On another thread someone wrote, after looking at single 3D rendered perspective of a building that it looked "unresolved". Is there a consensus on what the poster is saying when they use this term? From my perspective (lets call it regular English, not so architecture infused) the term doesn't seem to mean much, or at best, it seems pretty vague, but maybe to you all it has an obvious an clear definition.

Jan 4, 09 11:34 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

synergy-
go ahead and start that thread. we've had 'word of the day' but not a glossary.

sarah, just be happy you had a day of short sleeves and sun. we have a bright sunny day today, but it's currently -1. so don't complain.

happy sunday morn tc.

Jan 4, 09 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Wonder K,

I drink a fair amount of wine and regular wine dealer who I discuss with. It seems that a lot of people get headaches from different types of wines. For example some people find that they consistently get a pounding headache from champagne, others from reds, etc. etc. The point being, perhaps you need to try something different and see what works for you. Have you tried any Rieslings from Alsace or Germany? these are sweeter white wines. Going to the opposite extreme, Malbec's from Argentina are very earthy flavored wines. I'd recommend the Catina Malbec as a good starter.

You might also want to invest in a decanter. If you decant your wine for 45 minutes or so after pouring from the bottle you'll remove a bit of the bitter tannin flavors and likely enjoy the notes of the wine more without the strong aftertaste.

The trick to properly pouring the bottle is to pay attention to the way you've stored it. In storage, any undesirable sediment in the wine will settle to the bottom of the bottle, so you don't want to shake this sediment back into the wine in the pouring process. Pour slowly, possibly even in front of a light or candle, to see the sediment. You'll want to stop just before the sediment goes into the carafe or glasses. Try this and see if it helps with your headaches.

Jan 4, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
argh.
Jan 4, 09 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ok, will do, though I'll need some help getting it off the ground, I am pretty sure I have a lot more questions that answers as far the glossary is concerned.

Jan 4, 09 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Wow, is that thing completed Steven? what is going on there?

Jan 4, 09 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

see the comments below the pic.

it's like a perfect storm: an architect making specious claims of sensitivity for a tough (arguably inappropriate) building, thus allowing the building to serve as a lightning rod of criticism, reinforcing the prejudices of those people who already dislike modern architecture.

also allows for broad bashing of architects in general which, of course, happens not too many comments down the line.

this crap only makes our job harder. ever wonder why architects are not considered the authorities regarding architecture?

--

as much as i hate the situation, i think it's a lovely house. even though it's finished, it reminds me of the recurrent observation among architects that buildings look best when under construction.

Jan 4, 09 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ahh thanks for the observations, that makes a lot of sense. I looked at the other images on the architects website, this particular image seems to be the least flattering of the bunch.

I don't want to clutter the glossary thread right away, so I'll ask in here. I think what confuses me about the terms I asked about is that I find it difficult at times to understand the point being made.

Doesn't it make sense, if you complain about the volume of a building, to give a specific or two of what about the volume doesn't work? I've seen these terms used without additional support or description and I find them frustratingly vague, am I missing something here?

Jan 4, 09 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

That would make sense, Synergy, except that's just not what architects do (this is accompanied by an eye roll, because while true, this drives me crazy). Architects are used to being able to throw out archi-speak and have the world nod their little heads slowly, thinking that they just don't get it because we are so wise and creative. But in reality you're right, when someone throws out a criticism so general as 'unresolved', they should absolutely say what about it is unresolved: the pedestrian access/public approach? The shapes of the interstitial spaces created around the form? What?

Jan 4, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Ok this really a follow up to mantaray and mobiles just being phones to make calls. I'm a new crackberry user and am making this post from my phone because I'm in an area that doesn't get wifi.

Anyway Synergy,sounds like a good thread to start - I similarly find issue with those architects and designers that don't qualify their statements worse if they are academics. I find it makes for much better dialogue and thus much better projects

Jan 4, 09 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Synergy, I think it's a shorthand language architects employ sometimes successfully and sometimes just because they're being lazy.

A lazy critique would be "That looks unresolved."

A better critique would be "The massing relative to the window type looks unresolved."

A good critique would be "The massing relative to the window type looks unresolved - the ground floor has a thick wall with punched windows while the upper floor is supposed to read lighter but the similar punched openings recall the intended heaviness of the ground floor."

This is why I dislike one-line critiques (or movie recommendations) here - and why I wrote an op-ed on giving generous criticism - meaning putting a bit of time into explaining why a word like "unresolved" might spring to mind when viewing a project.

Steven - that flickr page hurts my heart. But then it makes me think of how every nice lawyer I know must feel when they hear their five-thousandth lawyer joke.

ever wonder why architects are not considered the authorities regarding architecture? Lately I've been much more blunt in telling people - like on the local real estate blog I frequent - that I AM an authority about architecture and while I won't challenge them on whatever field of knowledge they claim authority on (real estate finance, knitting, whatever) I WILL challenge them on architecture. They need to be educated and I tell them so - in a fairly friendly way, of course.

Jan 4, 09 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Thanks LB,

I think there is a strong connection between your two points, which you might have already realized, but I'll elaborate what I mean.

I agree with you that architects are authorities in their field. In order to properly develop this sentiment among others, I believe architects should act in a professional manner. Part of that professional manner, in my opinion, would include being able to effectively communicate your ideas to people within the professional, as well as those outside of the profession. This is where your point about critiques comes in.

For example, if you went to a lawyer and explained in detail a dispute you were having with a neighbor's property, you would expect the lawyer's response to be more than just a condensed string of legal terms. You would like things to be laid out in a clear, straightforward fashion. The lawyer can use their legal terms, but these terms should be used in order to clarify and explain their points, not to confuse and cloud the matter.

When I read short two word critiques from architects I find it very exclusive, I can't imagine how someone even less familiar with the field would feel.

Jan 4, 09 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

what's interesting about that house SW references, is that the model is much better looking than the realized home, not to mention the detailing looks horrible. if the house were clad in rich wood, like the model, and the frame for the poly slats were more elegant, then the narrative would be more to my liking as would the home. but the sterility of the galvanized paneling, leaves me cold.

Jan 4, 09 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

..or not so friendly ways of challenging people about architecture works too.

Jan 4, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Synergy, lb put it best but I wanted to reiterate her statements because I feel very strongly about them.

The opacity of archi-speak and writing enervates me to no end. We do ourselves no favors by being too lazy or impatient or arrogant to take the time to clearly explain what we mean. The process of going through architecture school in particular is made even more hellish due to studio professors and invited jurors who don't take the time to give thoughtful, clear critique. LB's and rationalist's examples above are perfect.

I have been on a private crusade on this issue in my own life, trying to figure out how to explain things to both clients and students (two very different user groups) in a way that makes everything as clear as possible. That doesn't mean they will understand, but it helps. And LB, I hear you, I do the same thing re: not being afraid to simply say, I am an architect, I am trained and experienced in this subject and yes, I know more than you do. Although more nicely, of course. ;-)

So how can we take this crusade public? How can we change things? For example, if there's one thing I cannot abide is a supposed "star"chitect who writes books in jibberish (and gets published!). Wonder if we could ever put a stop to that... If you complain about it, you just look stupid or uneducated, so a whole group of people simply end up going around pretending they have any clue what X "star"chitect was talking about in his book and simply assigning their own interpretations to it.

Jan 4, 09 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

that house looks like it is waiting for vines to cover the scaffolding.

Jan 4, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I would say thought that when "unresolved" is just used by itself, as a general observation, it generally means "unfinished", like the design isn't completely thought through yet. There may be something in it that doesn't look like it really makes sense, if the building were actually built; or just that overall it looks unpolished, rough-around-the-edges, half-baked. Like reading a first draft of a story. It's still a story -- if you thought really hard about it you could start breaking it down into parts and editing what needs to be edited, but your first thought, first pass reading it is "Hmm, seems unpolished." That would be what the general comment "unresolved" would translate to, I think. (IMO)

Jan 4, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hey Synergy, thanks for those suggestions. A decanter makes sense. I've never heard the thing about the sediment though. It didn't even occur to me!

I realize I'm late to the book conversation, but I confess that I'm envious of those of you who devour books constantly. I wish I had that sort of attention span. Instead, I guess I'm the opposite of manta - all I have the tolerance for are blogs, or articles. I get so bored of books that it takes me forever to read them. One of the last books that I finished that I really enjoyed was Freakonomics. In retrospect I think it was because each chapter covered a different, strange, and interesting topic.

However, because I love Doris Kearns Goodwin, and because I want to be like Obama, I think I will attempt Team of Rivals. Wish me luck, it's a monster!

Jan 4, 09 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

WonderK: like you I have a very short attention span so when I really want to read a book I usually have to buy it and - like you - it takes forever to read.

I liked Doris Kearns Goodwin a lot when she was a guest 'expert' on the Newshour with Jim Lehrer. However there was some sort of dustup - wasn't there? - about plagiarization a few years ago and she was dumped. Was that right? and, what is she up to these days? she had/has a very engaging manner.

Jan 5, 09 12:32 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

There was a controversy but it seems to have been blown out of proportion, and she indicated that it was accidental. In any case, there has been no allegations of plagiarism with her book about Lincoln. Plus, she's such a nice lady....she doesn't exactly seem the type to steal.

Jan 5, 09 2:07 am  · 
 · 

sarah, yes onsens are divided by gender because the bathing is traditionally done in the nude. that gender separation thing is something the american puritans introduced to japan thank you very much. before the war it was like a french beach ;-)

i have no idea what the problem is with that building steven linked to. off the cuff, i like it. i suspect the architects made an error with the material selection cuz it sounds like they expected it to be more reflective or something. and they should change the text cuz they sound like morons, but as far as it being appropriate, i find the whole discussion bizarre. according to WHO is it not appropriate? its in a farming community, and in front of a highway too. so whats going on? the only context is the landscape, which is hardly pristine nor precious (not with a highway there) and this is what they came up with as a response.

i do think it would be a better building if it was covered with vines, and even more interesting if they made something that was invisible completely, but that would probably go against the ethos of the designers...i also think the interiors are rather poorly done, but that is probably because they are young and still think architecture is exterior design...

but in larger picture it seems as appropriate to me as the suburban homes that tend to dot farming areas nowadays (at least in canada they do). and about as good as the trailers i also see all over the landscape too. i can count half a dozen farms with piece of shit trailer-trash trailers stuck on blocks in the middle of farms near where my mom lives...and NO ONE would say a damn thing about them... and then there are all the grain elevators out there too, which are supposed to be totally inspirational to architects, going back 90 years or so, and maybe is inspiration enough for this building too...i suspect the problem is simply aesthetic, in which case the only thing one can say is i like it or i don't like it and then move on, because aesthetics is not rational....

?

Jan 5, 09 4:29 am  · 
 · 

just to clarify, i like it, too. i was more frustrated by the commentary triggered, at least in part, by what the architects said they were doing.

if you're going to make a mark, say it. or don't say anything. don't make claims of fitting because there WILL be disagreement.

Jan 5, 09 7:41 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I have been reading a rather interesting book over the holidays. I picked it up from the local library. "Richistan" by Robert Frank. It is a rather journalistic trip thru, " the American Wealth Boom of and the Lives of the New Rich." I still have a number of chapters to read but it has been a real eye opener. I feel like I have a better understanding of our current financial undoing at the end of 2008. The book was authored in 2007 which makes it even more interesting. The Author was a Journalist for the New York Times, so
it is one of those fact filled books about wealth and how it was aquired and how it was spent. I have just finished the chapter, "Barbarians in the Ballroom", which walks the reader thru the lifestyle of the old rich and the new rich of Palm Beach, Florida. I can see why Bernie Madoff was so successful in aquiring investors on a massive scale from this community.

I also picked up "The Snow Ball" a book about the life of Warren Buffett. I have been reading bits and pieces of it. I'm hoping I can spend a bit of time with it over the coming weeks. My interest goes beyond Warren as one of the people who turns out to be a good friend of Buffett is some one I have known. Funny thing is he never mentioned it nor would have I guessed they knew one another.

Jan 5, 09 8:35 am  · 
 · 

I'm just now looking at the photo Steven Ward posted, along with the comments. Some are just downright mean, "...but all architects sound like douche' bags" <- I'd worry that someone would start kicking the door down of a modern architects complete with pitch forks. I really think the unresolved in this manner would be unfinished....something about it, perhaps the scour of the landscape or the metal gratings inviting vines as everyone else seemed to cue in on.

Jan 5, 09 9:59 am  · 
 · 

how 'bout a louisville-specific page header?

[img]http://www.geocities.com/kyroads1/sb65at265.JPG width=418[/url]

Jan 5, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 

yeah. how 'bout it?

Jan 5, 09 10:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm sitting at a cafe of my design with the real life vado retro having coffee...he says hi with an exclamation point.

Jan 5, 09 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: