Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

architecture and other. ?
architecture and everything. ?

sorry to make you feel square, sh, but i love wordplay and i love something that draws attention to the way language feels and gets spoken and gets heard. same reasons i like architecture, really.

Jul 23, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Steven, isn't everything Architecture?

Jul 23, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

okay. i took rationalist's (the inhouse graphic boss) advice and inserted on the more developed blog for test. viola! i really like the look now. even though i don't have the typefaces she is talking about, i think it looks okay with arial too.
what do you think of the "for all architectures" (do you have a problem w/ 'architectures'? it is a replacement for 'everything else'.) btw, i was surprised elseplace was not taken in blogspot. so it is a bit precious considering most titles you can think of are already taken. maybe it is my subconcious way of equalizing the situation with my heavy accent and inability to pronounce things smoothly so forcing everybody to same conditions i deal everyday.;.))

i really like to thank all of you. when it comes to graphics i might as well grow a 'mullet'.....

it is definitely getting there.

the test run; link

Jul 23, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

looks good to me!

Jul 23, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 

hmm, I would say make the subtitle smaller, and maybe all uppercase? for some reason it's looking un-finished to have everything all lowercase. flush left the subtitle, or try tucking it in to the right of the 'p' from elseplace.

See whether you've got any of the 'Gothic's (besides Bank Gothic, of course)... try Century, Franklin. Maybe Frutiger. Ooh, it looks surprisingly good in DIN Mittleschrift, and I think that comes standard with adobe products. Yes, you can tell I'm running mini experiments on this since I've already got InDesign open.

Jul 23, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

hey r'ista check this out this what i understood from what you said.link

Jul 23, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

sorry here. elseplace

Jul 23, 08 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

hey, there's a start. Bonus points if you can get the descender in the 'p' to line up with the left edge of your body text and images.

Jul 23, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Orhan, that looks very official. Reminds me of the NYTimes, though I know its a completely different font.

Rationalist, whats the difference between font and typeface? Is there one?

Jul 23, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Gotham is a typeface. 8pt/11pt Gotham LightItalic is a font.

Jul 23, 08 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

thanks again. i added some material on the left margin. just to make it little richer and maybe more engaging. and, also let people know i design buildings too. i will improve it in time and add other text to it. right margin needs a list of published articles and links and some other stuff.

this is more than i could ever imagine in last few days. THANKS a lot guys... specially rationalista with some pro intervention. and steven for pushing the content. and to all for caring enough to put some input, identifying the issues and problems.

sarah, do you think i should make it less official? altough, i don't mind it to look like a newspaper since that's where the money is.;.)

Jul 23, 08 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

wow! what a change in a few hours! looks great, orhan.

Jul 23, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

WOW! I jump on a wee tin budgy and all of a sudden Orhan has a mah-valeous new blog. I love it! I love the type-face and think I may have to consult with r'lsta (cool abbreviation btw) for my consultancy co image...sweet.

Oh and Orhan I've just blogged a mention to your blog. Bloggie x2. Sweet. I'll add you to the link section before the week is out.

I'm back in Montserrat. Its weird, I have no official note about my contract. I am staying in my ex girlfriend's house. Ack...I feel like an alien. Help. Only good thing is that I leave in a week's time.

Jul 23, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

uhmm and if anyone wants to give me some input on my blog, by all means....give it cause Orhan's elseplace is dead sexy!!

Jul 23, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Orhan, I don't mind the officialness of the header. I just thought you should know that it looked like business. If business is what you want, then you've achieved it, and good luck to you. If, on the other hand, you want it to have a more relaxed, feel, then you failed miserably - but it still looks dang cool!

Jul 23, 08 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan,
Love it..
Definetely looks better. I will swap out the link to your old blog on my blog with the new link/blog.

Everyones else..
Hi..and good night. It has been a long day.

Jul 23, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Orhan, I love the elsePlace! Can it and the wonderSphere be friends? ;o)

Seriously though, it looks great, and good on you for working so hard on the design. I never had time to work on mine so diligently.

I'm in Cincinnati for 5 days. Holler if you're in the neighborhood.

Jul 23, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for the compliments, encouragement and inclusion in your links.
i will do the same when i start my links.

Jul 23, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Really does look great Orhan.

DubK - I'll holler at you Friday.

G'night all. Sleep well.

Jul 23, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
aml

elseplace looks great, really like how 'place' becomes also 'place for all architectures'. bookmarked in my archiblog favs!

Jul 24, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

WWTCD? If half the office (4) is out on at a consultant's all-day golf event, aka good times, should the remaining staff who weren't invited get a "marketing" day as well?

Jul 24, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

whoa, too many little words in that sentence. sorry.

Jul 24, 08 11:18 am  · 
 · 

Hi all,
It Thursday!!!
And Beary yes~!

Jul 24, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Strawbeary glad to see you are still around. I/We've missed you terribly.

In other news it seems there is more "wait and see" the company looking to procure my services has been told by the board to wait until the dust settles. But in the meantime I have to surrender all wares previously afforded me...what fun eh?

Jul 24, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

techno, I've been around, just not as much. And unfortunately I am not caught up on Thread Central at all, not for 100 pages or so. Ha ha.

Jul 24, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

many twist and turns this thursday.

a vanity press wants to do a book for us at a cost of $78k (which 'purchases' 1000 copies). so, we'll most likely turn down this invitation.

my 'annual' review (13th month) went well, though no talk about numbers, just an assurance that the CEO will review a raise.

my project's deadline just shifted up 2 weeks - so now I have 3 months work to do in 6 weeks (not 8). I need to arrange a photo-op with the gov/rumored veep candidate one week after the RNC convention - so I doubt I'll get the him, but we'll see. maybe I can get Al Franken instead.

'beary - you deserve a marketing day!

Jul 24, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

sw-

the ALtimes visits Louisville in their travel section.

Jul 24, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

great article, tk! y'all should pay attention. fun stuff here, and not a bad place to work, either.

Jul 24, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

just posted some images on the jobsite thread...here's a sample

Jul 24, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

are those 'bites' from the top of the wall intentional? At first glance the scale was rather ambiguous, till I realized it was a shower.

Jul 24, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

tk its where the rafters were notched in. The roof is going to be raised another a block height and a steeper roof put on, the previous was too flat for the finish. Though at the looks of things it seems to be an expensive ordeal

Jul 24, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Fun story: this morning I got up early so I could borrow Mom's car, and working on adrenaline since I'm still on LA time, I drove straight to the Queen City's only Apple Store in a bid to get an iPhone. 30 minutes later I was in the store, with my hands on one, but the Apple person helping me claimed that I wouldn't be able to keep my number (with its Cincinnati area code) since my "primary coverage" and billing address (California) didn't match. She claimed it would be "roaming". Now I'm pretty sure we haven't had to worry about cell phones roaming for a few years now but still, when pressed, I walked away.....I like my phone number, I actually picked it myself, and I intend to keep it, thank you very much.

I just thought it was kind of funny. I wonder how many times they've seen someone walk away from an iPhone?

Jul 24, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

hmm, that sounds fishy, wonderk. she MUST be wrong, no?

in any case, it's probably a good thing in the long run...

Jul 24, 08 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

That's interesting DubK. Sorry that happened to you. I thought you could take your phone number wherever you went. Pooh.

Atechno - Is that your pretty little residence in those photos. How awesome that you are raising the ceiling/roof. Must be exciting.

Jul 24, 08 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Wait, that totally doesn't make sense. I have an area code from like 3 cities ago, and the billing has moved with me, and nobody cares. I was just talking to a buddy yesterday who lives in Hawaii and still has his old Pittsburgh phone number. No way is this true.

Jul 24, 08 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

You're right manta, it doesn't make sense. I found that way around it, and even though it's from last year, I'm pretty sure the same thing would apply this time around. It had better work - I'm not giving up my super awesome phone number!

Jul 24, 08 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

dubK is just teasing us now, dangling her super awesome phone number in front of us. Begging us to ask her what it is. I however did loose my phone number moving to Montsy, it was 361-architechnophilia. And the way things are looking now I may to change numbers, area codes, et al.

Jul 25, 08 12:01 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

wow, what an insane little quirk. i'm glad you found a way to work around it!!! good luck! seems like it would be a very useful thing for a busy grad student to have.

Jul 25, 08 12:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh I'm such a fat kid. Breakfast was brought in this morning, as it is every Friday, but due to a miscommunication, we got both Chickfilla and Jack in the Box. And, yes, I had one of each.

Jul 25, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just bought ma ticket to albucrackee.

Jul 25, 08 10:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

else[place is now in my menu bar, right before jds architects which Michael Speaks put there and I haven't finished exploring.

Steven I dreamed last night we (my family) were moving to L'ville and I was searching for a bottle of wine to bring with me.

Vacation is exhausting. I can't wait to get back to work!

Jul 25, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oops, elseplace. I spelled it right on my menu bar.

Jul 25, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Manta and DubK - that is the most retarded thing I've ever heard of. What the hell does it matter anymore what phone number (area) you have anymore. It's all pretty much relative wthese days. Dammit, it's only lunchtime and I'm SOOO ready for the day to be over.

Jul 25, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Jul 25, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

come on lb!!! i'll even spring for the wine.

Jul 25, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

i always envied people who could keep wine and other bottle of liquor in their home without bottoming them up. i guess you get the idea why i don't drink anymore...

Jul 25, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

well, in some cities your phone # matters. For instance, in Los Angeles everyone wants the 213 area code (downtown area), or at second choice the 310. Nobody wants to be stuck with the dreaded 323. So if they didn't do it by address, they would run out of 213's and 310's.

Jul 25, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

r-
818 is the boondocks in LA. I still have my 213 cell number as my main phone. Now all I gotta do is return to SoCal.

Jul 25, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the average for a bottle of wine to be opened after purchase in the us of a is 17 minutes.

Jul 25, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

vado I guess they spend that time pacing back and forth waiting for 17 minutes to pass.

I have a wwtcd question but I am really afraid now who is watching. Sigh. Oh and its rumoured that I won't get the job. So I think I'll be on vacation much longer than a month. I need the comfort of thread central on this one as I do feel to curl up on the side of the bed, with penny thoughts of hedonistic curves ala Oscar Niemeyer

Jul 25, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: