Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

Home, finally. So here it is.

Abe was perfectly behaved throught the whole process - the photo him from all angles, and then, after the assesment the do a big digital model of his head from fancy computer photos.

He will only have to wear th ehelmet for 2 months (YEAH!!!!)

And...

Unless they change their mind, Insurance will pay for it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I know that was a bit excessive on the 'points, but its a very happy thing.

Tuna, sorry about your fruit

Jul 15, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So should his temporary nickname be Crash? Should we call the helmet his Bopper?

jump, by the way, I read the Wallpaper article days ago (it seems) and a big congratulations is due to you guys! I love that house, I'm so glad it is getting attention after all the care you two put into it.

Jul 15, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

tuna- twinkies and ding dongs always taste great!

Jul 15, 08 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ok. So, as promised, I am listing below three (3) choices for you to all vote on. Whichever comes out on top, poor little Abe will get to try on Saturday. I figure, since I end up telling you all about it anyway, you might as well get to play in the grand experiment, too.

So,

Yellow Squash (skinned, steamed, and mushed)
Zucchini (same as above)
Green Beans (steamed, pureed, and strained)

I figure I will introduce 1 fruit to every two vegies so he doesn't get a sweet tooth.

Jul 15, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, those are some tough choices since I really didn't like most of those things growing up. It wasn't until I became an adult, gave up meat did I begin to appreciate squash and zucchini, much less green beans (are you talking about enami beans?)

Anyway its the end of the day in Montserrat. They had their board meeting and I've not heard anything. Hmmm build the suspense eh? But they do say that bad news travels fast so I'll assume the best.

Jul 15, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, I did a search, and coudnt find what beans you are talking about, but I am talking of plain old american green beans - string beans in the south. They are long, tubular, and people tend to eat them at Christmas and Thanksgiving. Many families eat them from a can, and, sadly, Husband prefers the Canned variety - I buy Frozan anyway, and I buy them 'frenched' cause I like them that way, and who wants to spend the time julianning green beans. Also, at holiday feasts here in America, people like to mix green beans with cream of mushroom soup, and top it with those crispy fake onion strips - I think its pretty bad stuff. Actually, it could be worse and more redneck if they used Funions as topping. Maybe I will see if I can get my sister to do that. Oh, why am I so mean?

So, after that lengthy explination, do you know of which beans I speak?

Jul 15, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Maybe Architechno means Edamame beans?

I cook my green beans (not from cans) with bacon, onions, garlic and chicken broth.

Jul 15, 08 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

garlic and yes onion
ive never tried bacon or chicken broth

im on my way home i should try it
but then again im not sure if
i have any fresh green beans

Jul 15, 08 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Do you two do that on purpose? Back to back post like that, I mean?

Jul 15, 08 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

thanks LB. the house is also going to be published i russian (!) version of interni this month or next. but we are kinda happy to also be showing this project in wallpaper as well

i was hoping it would appear online too, but it should be in hard-copy magazine at least...we are looking forward to taking it to dd cuz it is based on funky structure where columns are replaced by stairs. gonna be some work to make it work.

Jul 15, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Bad fruit sucks. I am always so let down when it happens.
SH, regarding your son. Good news, and re: veggies i saw yellow squahs i always loved the stuff, especially with butter.

Also, i could swear that almost always their (philarch and philarcht) are indeed back to back.

Jump, that tropical house either has a cool printed facade is highly reflective glass. Is it really on an islands paradise somewhere?
Also, stairs as columns you say?

Jul 15, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I had to play computer mechanic at the end of the day. My computer
was making some wild noises...so after dinner on the kitchen table she went. I dragged out the Dyson Animal and had at it. I take a couple of straws and tape them to the inside of one of the accessories and such away at all the tight spaces. Did a good cleaning....and put her back together an she be purring like a content kitty now.

Jul 15, 08 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi......

I'm alive and back in LA. I'm also a complete wreck. I'll be back after I sleep, eat, compose my thoughts, and figure out what everyone has been talking about the past few days.

Jul 15, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 

nam, yes is island paradise somewhere. reflective metal with self-cleaning nano-coating (maybe). stairs are sole structure on the ground floor. which is the interesting bit for me.

some other shots

just sketches. will likely be different in reality, and now there is talk of changing site to different setting altogether...so we'll see how it comes out in the end. we also have interesting urban project on the boards, but it wasn't ready for publication so went with this one instead....

Jul 15, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

Edamame beans - thanks Philarch. Sarah, you are funny - I know the beans you mean, we/everyone else call them string beans. I like mine fresh, I actually had some growing in my neighbours garden (long story don't ask). Ex used to boil them, I prefer them turned on a hot pan sometimes with a little olive oil and garlic, depending on what I'm having it with. Anyhow I'm watching Spice Kitchen on HGTv - its addictive.

Jul 15, 08 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Techno, I think I should write a wikipedia entry on them, don't you?

Jul 15, 08 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

welcome back wonder-k....hope you had a wonderful time!

Jul 15, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

snook, how could WonderK, WonderMan, and wasn't there a WonderDog, not have a Wonder Full time? Even my post is full of Wonder.

Thats right, everybody. Sit back and Wonder at my deep post.

Jul 15, 08 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sarah, we had success for a few months with green beans. Then he decided he doesn't like them. That's the way babies are.

Very cool house, jump!

Just signed up to see Bjarke Ingels speak at Idea Festival in Louisville in September. I wonder if he's as cute in real life as in his promo shot?!

Jul 15, 08 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah don't mind me I'm just a popping in between keynotes on a drawing.....my 1920' Barrel Vaulted Diner Restoration Project. Damn who knew you would have to provide so much information on a structure 10'-6" X 35'-6". I have the Pre-move demolition drawings,
the restoration demolition drawings and the restoration drawings, along with a whole set of drawings for a seperate building which provides handicapped bathrooms and a basement connecting the old and the new along with a deck....yikes! I better do as they used to say...." All I want to see is Asses and elbows, Get drawing!"

Jul 15, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
For puddles.
Jul 15, 08 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Sarah, I think it's clear which one is up next! :)

For the record, my sister and I - despite not liking many veggies as children - were both OBSESSED with green beans (and artichokes and salad w/ balsamic vinaigrette!). We also had them turned on a hot pan sometimes with a little olive oil and garlic as well as some occasional bacon, mm.

So, let us know what the little one thinks!

Jul 15, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah - most definately. But not just on the beans on LSD as well and the magical tour ride. You've actually been faster than Wikipedia

Jul 16, 08 12:46 am  · 
 · 

Tumbles is back yah!!! I was wondering where she was...its almost been quiet in the thread without her...almost.

Liberty that's perhaps one of the more intelligent Sesame Street adaptations I've seen. And I'm saying this as one who doesn't and didn't like the show growing up.

Also can someone direct me to an interior shot of Mayne's Caltran's building

Jul 16, 08 2:04 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

against all medical advice, we did something that makes us bad parents-

we had the sapling sleep all night in our bed...
so we got to sleep until 5:30 this morning.

but will we do that again?

Jul 16, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

TK, I bet you will do it again, only cause you will want to sleep. I was so lucky that Abe slept all night after 2 months. And besides, as long as you aren't drunk, or a sound and restless sleeper, it should be fine. A guy I work with has Night Terrors, though. He shouldn't keep his kid in his bed. You don't have those, do you?

Jul 16, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
Synergy

So is there a generic thread on here for Autocad drafting related questions? My questions are usually very rudimentary and I don't think they deserve a whole thread, but I'm not sure where I should stick them. Any help? Thanks

Jul 16, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Synergy - If its simple, why not post here? Or this might be appropriate depending on the question: F*#k you Autodesk, up yours WE WIN!

Also about changing my name - I was just about to do it and realized I also use this to sign in for other websites. I generally try to minimize useless things to remember and personally, I don't need to remember another name/password combination. So I hope you guys can tell Philarct and I apart. If we are the same person, I'm not aware of it.

Also, an update on the camera situation is coming. I know, I know, no one cares, but many of you gave me advice so... this is the last place we used the camera:

Jul 16, 08 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Woah Philarch that's pretty cool. Where is that? Is it just tile or is there other sutff.

Jul 16, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Phil, is that his house? Did you just walk down south street, and harass that poor man to let you in? I guess it probably happens all the time.

Jul 16, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, and you can change your display name without changing your sign in name. My sign in is SarahHamilton, but later I added the space.

Jul 16, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

It is Isaiah Zagar's studio and it is actually open to the public on south street. He does mosaics all over the city and it can almost be considered an indigenous Philly aesthetic. It is definitely more than just tiles. Glass bottles, mirrors, Toilets (!), Bicycle parts, you name it, its all there. He's not an architect, but he makes some amazing spaces - so the "mosaics" are not just applied on flat walls but make walls and define spaces themselves.

Jul 16, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

<sigh>

I would have been happy never to see another Isaiah Zagar project again in my life. They can be fun, but he's also messed up some pretty lovely historic brick walls in Philly. The one he did for the Clay Studio is probably his best=placed work, but one of his weaker compositions.

Yes I have an opinion on everything, and today I'm being mean about it.

To go more upbeat: tk, co-sleeping a few nights a week won't be bad for anyone, as long as, as Sarah said, you're not drunk or given to violent thrashing.

Jul 16, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

I was up until 3am, I need coffee - got a phone call from a former school friend turned client about his project, and he's made a couple referrals (3 actually) for me. That was nice, maybe its time to set up shop...interesting developments.

Oh and I bought stuff for the house...all wicker.

Jul 16, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

What are those little basket-things? Votive covers?

Jul 16, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

we have a 'co-sleeper' but it isn't the same as having the sapling snuggled up to mom or dad. and no, no thrashing, drug abuse (but maybe I should start), or restless leg syndrome.

maybe he slept that long cause it's his seventh week- so we'll see what happens next week with getting through the night.

philarch - you can change your screen name without changing login & password.

Jul 16, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LB, I think the basket-y things should be hung on christmas lights, and strung in a doorway somewhere. Just kidding. I really like the vase though, and it would look perfect in my living room. Does anybody else have a penchant for liking (almost collecting) strange things? I love boxes, and vases. Actually, I have 4 completely useless vases in my living room, and thats only cause Husband keeps me in check.

Jul 16, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 

the smaller ones are going to be light shades for the master bathroom fixed lights hung from the rafter over the 7' long double vessel sink counter. The bigger one sits in the corner to "complete the space" as they say on those interior shows.

Jul 16, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
Synergy

Ok I'll try my question here,

in Autocad, when dimensioning, I am overriding the dim with my own text. I would like the text to appear as 2 lines, 1 above the line, one below. I've used "text \X text" and I wind up with 2 seperate lines of text, but both are above the dimension line. Is there a setting to accomplish this?

I can do it by having the second line simply as a small piece of Mtext or dtext, but I'd prefer for it to be part of the dimension for simplicity and to reduce clutter.

Thanks

Jul 16, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

LB - "They can be fun, but he's also messed up some pretty lovely historic brick walls in Philly." Not being argumentative just ignorant and curious here - what walls did he mess up? Or you don't mean historic landmarks or historic properties per se, but just old brick walls in general...?

Personally, artwork like this is more than just about being fun. To me it revitalizes and sometimes a means of expressing the vibrancy of the area. Much like Lily Yeh's works in Norther Philadelphia where amateur artists and non-artists alike can create something for the community. No, its not high art, but its not supposed to be either.

Jul 16, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

jump, i am happy to hear you are getting all the publicity and i hope it brings many more good projects onto your desk and prosporety to your checking account...
i remember from the picture of the budhist priest and the clients that day, this project was going to be a hit.;.))

i like the way tk calls his son "sapling"

Jul 16, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i've been called a sap; but never a sapling.

Jul 16, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

vado - spare the rod, but not the lashing. most rods were once saplings...

Jul 16, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Synergy- mouse over the text until you see the control point for the text object. Now grab that control point and drag it until the text is positioned where you want it.

Jul 16, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Synergy what rationalist said. But doesn't that usually make the line between the text disappear? That's usually my problem since in Jamaica we have to use dual imperial/metric - what is that called currency. Help Sarah...brain went blank and I'm sure you have the answer.

Oh and I just came from visiting my archi-friend's house. A true modern gem and an homage to Legoretta and Barragan. Pics to follow.

Jul 16, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

synergy, can't you just pick the grip for the text and move it where you want it?

Jul 16, 08 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

but if you move the text it makes the line disappear...

Jul 16, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

grip the text like a woman and it will move....I promise you!

Jul 16, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

if you don't mind the line disappearing...you can just say 'centered' under properties for ext pos vert

Jul 16, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

oh..i didn't notice techno said the same thing.

Jul 16, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: