Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Ms Beary

jump, sometimes I describe what we do that way, and it does feel wierd at first to think that is what we are doing, but it is. My job is very similar to your wife's, I'm sure.

techno, I wish I could come open a center near you!

Jun 5, 10 11:52 am  · 
 · 

that's interesting strawbeary.

in her case the school is usually populated by the children of doctors and movie stars and occasionally features on tv programs showing how the famous are educating their children. it is remarkable but she has 3 year old students who can read and write in japanese, know the capitols of most countries round the world, and can do addition and subtraction...but were taught in a way that i don't think they even are aware of the fact that education is going on. there is more to it than that but that is the stuff that most parents are wowed by. it makes sense in education competitive japan where going to the right school early on can affect the university you go to. but is i think mostly just for fun...no pressure to perform on the students behalf.

Jun 6, 10 3:28 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ok, so mr. and mrs. holz went to see 25th hour w/ a few friends, and holy crap, ed norton introduces the movie and talks about spike - and we're like 5 rows back. pretty effing cool.

the tons of people around us taking photos w/ flash the whole time, not so much. seriously, when did being lame, disrespectful and obnoxious become acceptable behavior in public?

also, what's up w/ people sitting on the ends of rows, and then claiming all their seats for their friends who show up at the last minute? laaaaame.

ps, holz highly recommends 25th hour.

Jun 6, 10 3:54 am  · 
 · 

cool holz

cheers nam!

Jun 6, 10 4:16 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I kind of miss the days of archinect when we use to troll each other about with miniature rants comparing completely incompatible architectural styles (federalism vs. deconstructionism), squabbling over qualitative vs. quantitative critiques in building performance and oogling filthy hot european/japanese/et cetera architecture.

Like every thread on archinect is now a troll thread! And they aren't even that good!

Jun 6, 10 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Ed Norton was 20' away, and Mrs. holz was able to control herself and not rush the stage to leap on him and smother him with lust? She's a stronger woman than I. I mean, taking flash pictures every ten seconds is obnoxious, yes, but physical contact with Ed Norton that's just irresistible ;-)

I watched Tropic Thunder last night. Not at all what I expected and thoroughly enjoyable.

Jun 6, 10 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

jump, there are some similarities, some differences then. Not the same at all, but we do think we access an inner genius in many of our students. More about us: Our students are a mix of children from wealthy families that are looking for a boost and other kids who struggle to learn in a school setting, usually because of a learning disability or anxiety. Many of our students go to touch-feely private schools where they are taught to be indepedant, comfortable and confident, but are not taught to read, write and spell. This works for some students, but some don't pick these things up on their own. We have a 10 year old who should be very bright, but cannot spell anything, not even the. Our teaching is very fun too, as well as explicit and intensive, but we sure don't have 3 year olds who know all the world capitals! Our youngest students are about 6-7, and most of our students are around 8 years old because that is when reading skills and math skills, or rather lack of, become most apparent. We have adults too, but not very often, we have a 37 year old non-native english speaker enrolled this summer. The students come to us AFTER realizing there is a problem, not for genius coaching. Often times we are recommended by the student's teachers. The pressure our students feel comes from their parents, not us. Like my poor 7th grader!

We often work with other professionals as advocates for students who aren't getting their needs met in the schools. Also, we are often the first to notice that something that looks like a learning disability, is possibly a food allergy. We have lost students that way, but the parents are ever greatful to find out Suzie IS bright, she just has a gluten allergy that was effecting her brain chemistry.

Most interesting is that I am learning about the brain and memory and learning patterns. I have become aware that because I have such strong visual, spatial and lexical skills that I often recall things by WHERE they are on a page, whether the information was in a short or long paragraph, if it was in a group of other things or standing alone, etc. Through this, I produce mild visions of shapes and colors along with emotions that accompany what I read, and I don't use the make-a-movie-in-your-head format that comes naturally to lots of people. Like I think of a piece of information as being long, soft blue, and serene. Not that I necessarily bring those words to mind, but the feelings are there, and those feelings can reemerge when I need to recall something. When I try to "make movies" in my head, I miss out on details, but when I use my spatial/lexical memory bank, I'm much more accurate. Maybe I should go back for a master's degree in neuroscience! But until then, I like learning via the apprentice route.

---- tumbles ---- while I am thinking of it, you might be interested in this. There is a woman that a client told me about, she is autistic and a professor of animal science at Colorado State University. Not only has she provided a lot of the insights we have into autism, she is providing insights into animal psychology. She has a movie about her coming out soon, bascially she says she can think like a cow and is conducting research in psychological effects of factory farming on animals and the nutritional and economic effects of our food supply with this type of farming. Temple Grandin

Sorry for the longggg post. Hope everyone is doing great this Sunday morning!

Jun 6, 10 9:49 am  · 
 · 

morning straw!
what you describe sounds sort of like Synesthesia
Holz, didn't that film come out in 2002? Did you see it a a theatre? Some sort of special showing?

Jun 6, 10 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

yeah, the holzes aren't impressed w/ celebrities and besides ed norton is really short (and w/ flashbulbs popping in the theater at a rate of 50/second, he kinda kept rambling)

nam, yeah it came out in '02 - i didn't realize that til now. siff (seattle int'l film festival) honors a director or actor each year, last year was spike, this year was ed norton.

Jun 6, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

I did see that movie, and loved it - Ed Norton was awesome, and the beating scene was awesome, it was all psychologically painful and wonderful. Similar things could be said about Fight Club, except that it was funny and ridiculous, where 25th Hour was not funny at all.

Jun 6, 10 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

I would never imagine that Ed Norton was short. The magic of photography. Funny if he is in fact how comes he hasn't been cast with other shorter actors or perhaps maybe he's cast with taller ones as a rouse to mislead the public. Okay I'll shut up now - I just woke up from my Sunday nap

Jun 6, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

archi-
having seen lots of celebrities around nyc..i think you'd be surprised on average how short they all are. the tallest actor i've seen was jon turturro..and he was about 5'-11"

Jun 6, 10 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i met this young man tonight Miles Mendenhal at the local eatery, where he works, and told him i look forward to seeing what he is rumored to have created - very interesting, and long overdue, i think - i plan to go back and pick his brain a bit; ask him about process and what he reads, inspiration - typical shit he's probably heard, but i am rooting for him anywho...

Jun 6, 10 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

sound interesting strawbeary. definitely some similarities. my wife is also learning by apprenticeship. the deal with their school is that children have very malleable minds and there is a threshold where they switch from sucking all kinds of information in to being able to throw it back out, and the age is like 3 years or something like that. i don't know all the theory but that is where it all starts. on top of that she then teaches mentally handicapped children using the same knowledge but with different techniques. it all sounded space-agey to me when she started but the results are clear, so i guess there is something there after all. cool thing is too that they always tell parents to not push the kids, so its designed for fun not performance. if the parents are too overbearing they get a lecture.

Jun 6, 10 11:22 pm  · 
 · 

b3ta that's awesome, but it does get under my skin a bit that we still don't have a show entitled Next Architect Star or America's Next Starchitect. Worse that it seems written already, and would be insanely popular amongst the profession. Shit you could air it at midnight and it would quickly become the highest rated

Jun 7, 10 12:07 am  · 
 · 

i went to a supermarket yesterday worked really hard picking up the right stuff after getting couple of hard to find items order on the phone from home. because they laid off 3/4 of the cashiers, i had to wait 20 minutes on the line only to find out i didn't have my wallet. came home empty handed and pissed off.

today, same market, same shopping strategy, few telephone orders, done, not enough cashiers, long lines, 20 minutes. lo and behold, again, no wallet. same fuck-up twice in a row. people on the line and cashier thinking i am pulling a con.

anyway, the time is almost 10 pm. we just ate our homemade burgers....

Jun 7, 10 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Morning. Last day of my weeklong class. Yeah! Strawbeary, that all sounds very interesting, and I find it very interesting that we are all so far apart, but doing similar things. My class this week has been all about schema and teaching strategies. We even took surveys to see how we learn. Said I was concrete sequencial, but I feel more creative than that. Strange.

Jun 7, 10 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

sarah, yes, funny we are both on track to become teachers now. I think we will both find it highly rewarding. However, I don't think I could be successful in a classroom setting though, too much anxiety myself. Are you ready for that? Classroom teaching has another set of challenges than what I will be dealing with.

nam, I have heard of synesthesia before, which is (for example) how an autistic can remember 22 thousand digits - he sees the digits as a colorful landscape. Maybe I have a touch of it. It really only happens when I read, the strongest and most automatic notion being WHERE on the page the information was given, and sometimes in math when I assign an emotion to a problem. I don't know that it qualifies as synesthesia, but more as a multisensory memory bank. Although I've always done it, I think it was a learned behavior, rather than automatic like synesthesia. But it makes me think of all the depths of our brains that we don't have access to, but can gain access to.

Jun 7, 10 10:13 am  · 
 · 

speaking of teaching...

I'm about to make a phone call to turn down a full-time teaching position for the next year at the University of Nebraska. Given the tight academic job market, I sure hope that this is the right decision. But since it is just a one year thing (with the possibility of leading to a tenure track job next year) I just can't justify moving across the country without even having visited the city or met the people that I'd be working for/with. Plus, I already have a lot of commitments for the next year in Philadelphia (including a possible adjunct studio job). Ugh, I hope saying no doesn't come back to bite me.

Jun 7, 10 10:29 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Actually, what I like best about teaching is that challenge of figuring out how best to teach to each student. I loved it in the design class I taught; meeting with the kids individually to assess and then re-approach the lesson so they could understand and apply it. For example, I suck at model making, and design best with pen and paper, but I know that others NEED to have models to design, even if they don't know that yet.

Jun 7, 10 10:32 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

Strawbeary, that's really funny that you should say that because I think the same way. I've always just associated it with really strong spatial learning, and (for me at least) being very weak in my other learning styles. But yeah, most of my thoughts are not in either words or distinct images, but feelings and shapes and places in my mind. So when I try to communicate with other people, either in words or through design, the biggest challenge to me is trying to somehow describe the total comprehensive shape that a thing has in my mind and all the nuance of it, and being able to see it clearly for myself. Sometimes that can be very frustrating though.

Speaking of teaching success, the website for the senior show of the kids I had when they were sophomores is up and WOW. I cannot believe how far they've come since then and it definitely gives me the warm fuzzies, though obviously the credit goes to the people they had junior & senior year. I still look at them and feel like those are my kids! and I'm super proud.

Phillip, seems very strange to me that they wouldn't fly you out for an interview before offering the position even. What's up with that?

Jun 7, 10 10:52 am  · 
 · 

Agreed, copper. The program director called me on Friday and offered me the job sans interview. It really caught me off guard. I hadn't heard anything from them since submitting my application in January, so I figured that they had hired someone else and just never sent out a rejection letter.

I had originally submitted for a tenure track position but for some reason they suspended the tenure track search until next year. Now I guess that they are working their way down the shortlist for that position in an effort to fill the position temporarily for the next year. Obviously taking this position would give a leg up on the tenure track search next year, but I can't justify moving from Philly to Lincoln for something that isn't a sure thing. Plus, they're looking for someone to teach the two history survey courses and developing lectures for those would leave me with zero time to work on my dissertation.

Jun 7, 10 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

copper - I think probably a lot of architects have that type of memory bank. I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'll toot yours, it is a sign of intelligence.

If I had to sum up Lincoln in one way, it is a Husker town. They don't really care about much besides their damn football team. Otherwise, it's not a horrible place, just a small midwestern college town. If you do go, you should visit the State Capital building because it is a really neat building.

Jun 7, 10 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I agree - a lot of architects are mildly autistic. probably why we have lousy social skills.

Jun 7, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Phillip - Nebraska is a major commitment. I would hesitate too.

I like teaching and really want to figure out the technical side of it versus winging it as I did this year. So I signed up for a bunch of free faculty development seminars for the fall. Just wish the new faculty mentoring program met at a different time (it finished 1/2 hour before class in the fall and is clear across campus, in the spring it conflicts with studio).

Jun 7, 10 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

so do people really put how many hours of experience they have with a cad program? cos i just got verbal confirmation of a resume that declared they have over 1,000 hours w/ a program...

i guess it's like pilots (i have 400 cross country hours, etc)?

<i>i can't wait to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed 10,000 hours in autocad platforms<i>

(actually, i may already be there!)

Jun 7, 10 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box
i can't wait to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed 10,000 hours in autocad platforms
Jun 7, 10 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

well, since the average person works around 2000 hours a year, and given the fact that students work WAY more than that, I'd say anyone with 3 years of experience plus a B.Arch probably has hit the 10k mark already.

Jun 7, 10 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

I've been using AutoCAD since v12 (though an office I worked in had 2.4 yes I said 2.4 when it only had a digitizer) but I'd be ashamed to say I have 10,000 hours with it - mostly because I suck and AutCAD has sucked much of the creativity out of me... shhh that's the inner CAD monkey talking.

Orhan sorry about the double supermarket visit, I can't imagine that was fun worse with the LA traffic thrown in. But I've had moments like that, and recently too - worse you have no one to be upset with than yourself.

Ahh folks take a look at this it should bring a smile to your face

Jun 7, 10 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

i am with archi. years of experience with autocad but still not expert. i use it as a pretty blunt tool.

interesting phil. i agree you need to see the place before jumping. if you put it that way i think they will be understanding.

Jun 7, 10 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

autocad makes me want to draw everything perfect.....sigh! I have wasted a majority of my adult life working with autocad....starting with the 286 computers...where meaning of drawing really ment waiting 25 percent of your time waiting for the program to catch up cause it was always regenerating....I hate to think how many hours I have been wacking away infront of a computer.

Jun 7, 10 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

happy birthday to prince!

there's a prince song that serves as a touchstone for most significant periods of my life. dude's been slackin' lately.

Jun 7, 10 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

snook, you're not supposed to TELL people that you wack away in front of your computer - when you're self-employed it's just assumed! ;-)

OK seriously who could resist that joke?

Jun 7, 10 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Donna,

Since your here....you ever have Paul Edwards or Dominque Bonomour as a Crit when you were in School

Think my friend Henry Tom (Line and Space) was a year ahead of you in school.

Jun 7, 10 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am calling sen's franken and klobucher tomorrow, this ncarb mafia must be silenced!!

Jun 7, 10 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
postal

so, is it a lot more 'necty 'round here since per is back?

...and "wacking away" has never been more efficient, now that we can do it with parametric members in revit...

ok sorry.

Jun 7, 10 10:54 pm  · 
 · 

snook I didn't have Paul Edwards but I think he was around. Henry was ahead of me in school - but isn't Line and Space Les Wallach? He taught studio too, but I never had him.

Jun 7, 10 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

urgh. Just had the most AWFUL meeting. Am doing a logo for a friend's startup, and it's becoming clear that I was hired because I'm a friend and she didn't think at all about whether I'm actually the right designer for the project or not. She & partner have some incredibly specific idea of style that they are COMPLETELY unable to communicate. I know that's part of my job, to draw it out, but frankly I'm still learning that as I've never come across a situation that was quite so difficult in that regard. I'm a bit at a loss for what to do—there's no way to dump them gracefully, and in some ways I still want to keep the project, but damn if I don't know how to proceed if they don't know how to communicate what's going on in their heads.

Jun 8, 10 12:26 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

copper, i think you can tell them just that; perhaps you are not the right person to help them, but that you can perhaps answer some questions or guide them to someone who can help.

Jun 8, 10 6:34 am  · 
 · 

...or show them sketches of several completely different answers as a way to get their reactions...

i'm drowning, by the way. right now, today, architecture sucks.

Jun 8, 10 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Morning all,
Sorry to hear that Steven. hopefully it is better by end of day?

Jun 8, 10 9:02 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm still alive.

Jun 8, 10 9:30 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm on life support.

Jun 8, 10 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

All you drowning people could just hire me to help. Think of me as your life saver ring.

Jun 8, 10 10:37 am  · 
 · 

I pulled a groin muscle. It really fucking hurts, and the only thing I did yesterday was draft wall sections - so I must have pulled it while drafting. How embarrassing.

Jun 8, 10 10:38 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LOL Donna!!! And to think all this time I thought drafting was a safe job.

Jun 8, 10 10:56 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

donna, do you draft while holding yoga positions? holy cow, get better.

got a bite on my resume (weirdly enough, i didn't send to them) so we'll see. i'm thinking my chances of anything decent here in the NW are slim to none, these days, tho.

Jun 8, 10 11:21 am  · 
 · 
copper_top

Steven, that's what I did in the beginning, and I thought we were on the same page, and somehow we completely missed each other because everyone was looking at sketches and seeing what they wanted to see instead of what was literally there in front of them. We're now basically doing a last-chance effort to go back to something they now say they did like (didn't get that impression at the time!) and work from there, but I did put it out there that if we can't get our styles to line up then maybe I'm not the right person for them.

Jun 8, 10 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

copper - you are the right person for designing my logo (and you're a friend). It's almost time to ask for a proposal for a bare bones logo design (for use on website and business card). I've given up on all my pre-conceived notions for what it should look like or even that it should be the color green...

Jun 8, 10 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna, perhaps it's simply a hazard of the self-employed! ;~)

Jun 8, 10 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: