Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

She said EFF-ing! EFF! Not fuck, which is what I would have said.

Apr 16, 10 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I love you guys!

Apr 16, 10 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

gas station supper doesn't sound fun for anyone. especially in USA. here we have rice balls in the convenience stores at least, though i don't think they are any better than potato chips really...

my oldest daughter is amazing me today. she decided to copy out bits of her textbook to study ahead of the curriculum at school, including learning new kanji (chinese characters) how garbage is recycled, math, and so on. she put them into a a booklet and stapled the pages together so she can do her own homework when shes bored. not sure what brought that all on, but am amazed at her attitude.

apparently someone has tricked her into thinking learning is fun ;-)

Apr 16, 10 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Sarah, uh, I don't know what to say. Except, sorry about those goats, LOL.

Did anybody ever watch that Tiger Woods Nike ad with his Dad talking to him from the dead? Talk about creepy, tacky, inappropriate, etc.

I learn so much by watching Jimmy Kimmel...

Apr 17, 10 3:21 am  · 
 · 

hi all - I'm back to the living. I had a super awesome birthday week that ended at a boutique hotel on the south coast after hours of searching for just the right one. Although I had to say goodbye to the missus this afternoon as she boarded a flight back to Cleveland - I'm still smiling like a kid at Christmas.

Sarah sorry about the experience picking up the goats. I'm curious if you can't milk the Spanish goats what good are they for? Might I suggest curried goat? It's a highly favoured meal in Jamaica

btw mantary I'd love to see your portfolio

Apr 18, 10 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Sarah, are the Goats for roping?

Apr 18, 10 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I guess piggy is back as "PaulRevere."

Apr 18, 10 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Oh geez... Guess this means I'll be hiding in here for a while... again.

jump - that's cool to hear about your daughter. Though I have always loved learning I was never that motivated.

As for goat... ate it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and realized I am not a big fan. Tastes a lot like lamb and I've never been that big of a fan of that... unless it's in a gyro.

Apr 18, 10 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

I've had goat in Indian food. Not my favorite either, too stringy.

My mother in law just arrived in town today. They (she and my bil) are staying here for a few days while we get the Lustron Home they are renting cleaned up. I can't afford to own two house, but I'll tell ya, if I could, I'd be buying this little 1940s pre-fab miracle house from their landlord. It's so super cool!

Apr 18, 10 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That looks pretty cool Donna!

I can't say I've ever had goat.

I'm house-sitting this weekend and find myself quite bored all of a sudden. I also can't figure out what I usually do on Sunday nights that is so not-boring. Knit maybe? I recently finished a hat for myself...

Who's piggy/PaulRevere?

Apr 19, 10 12:13 am  · 
 · 

Good morning,
Did you all have a relaxing weekend? I did. My girl tried out her new (but used) massage table by giving me an hour long massage yesterday.

Also had long brunch with some friends from New Orleans. A husband and wife team. His family is Cajun and goes back generations. She is an architect working in low income housing and he does urban development. Very interesting conversation. Every-time we met up they try to convince me and Chelsea to move there.

Other than that cooked some meals and did some writing/reading.

Archi, you weekends sounds wonderful. Boutique hotel and Jamaica... Check!

Also, I have never had goat.

Apr 19, 10 8:26 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

nam, know if either of your friend's firms/companies are hiring? I've been looking around in NOLA a bit...

Apr 19, 10 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

To be honest, my mom got the goats just to eat the weeds around the place. Her husband does plan to eat an off-sprung? goat later, but not any of their current herd.

I went t my step-brothers bridal shower. You know what I mean. She's half Mexican, and i mean upper class too. It's sounds awful when I type it, but I don't mean it too. But being in Texas, I'm most used to poorer mexicans who have come for a better life here. Her family has a good life in Mexico. Her grand father was a scientist, and her family looks more Spanish than Mexican. It's intersting. Their culture is also different than ours, and it was the most fun I've ever had at a shower. Best partwas that we clapped after every gift as if to say to the giver " that was an awsome gift, way to go!". The shower lasted from 3pm to 9pm. Certainly the lngest I've ever been to as well.

Glad others had fun too.

Apr 19, 10 9:42 am  · 
 · 

manta,

you know I don't. I can try and find out though... Give me a couple of days.

Apr 19, 10 10:12 am  · 
 · 
as if to say to the giver "that was an awsome gift, way to go!"

This is the best thing I've heard in days. I tend to break out in spontaneous applause when I hear something awesome - it feels good, and I think we all need more general enthusiasm for even small things in our lives.

Way to go, Sarah, making me smile with this post! <applause>

Apr 19, 10 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Hmm... Why do I feel like I've seen a Lustron home at a museum somewhere? I'm racking my brain trying to remember where/when that was. Gotta say though, I don't remember particularly liking it.

I've had goat. I hear that lamb and goat meat is healthier than beef (and better for the environment somehow?). Taste wise, I don't think they're all that different, but chewing is a whole other story.

Apr 19, 10 11:39 am  · 
 · 

slat... there was part of a lustron at the MoMA home delivery show last year... that might be where...

Apr 19, 10 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Do you think maybe only goats are toughand stringy, but maybe kids are still tender? It sounds odd to say "mmm let's eat some kids," so maybe we just say goat? Maybe you just have to braise all goat meat. I'll ask a Mexican.

Which reminds me, the future sil's grandmother and step mom are going to give me cooking lessons the day of the wedding. In the morning, of course. I may be more excited about that than the wedding.

And they served this crazy dish made of a green tomatillo sauce and pork rinds. I didn't partake. I don't like pork rinds. But the concept was fascinating. They also had this crazy jello mould. It was white jello, really, white jello, wth flecks of other coloured jello in it. It was good, but it tasted Mexican. You know, like it just didn't taste like something you'd get here? Apparently I don't explain the phenomenon well. Husband was very confused.

Donna, are you inlaws renting for a vacation, or are they moving?

And while I'm on it, husband and I have decided to be brave, and try hagis when we go to Scotland next summer. Anyone had it?

Apr 19, 10 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Goat meat? Ughghhghg. I just boil it in broth and then liquefy it in food process. Boil again, add dried mushrooms, some gelatin, food processor again. Then pound it into a sieve!

And bam! Ghetto demi-gloss. No point in eating bad meat straight!

· 
****melt

Slart - I forgot to ask. What size is your jacket? I could be interested.

· 
Sarah Hamilton

Do you think maybe only goats are toughand stringy, but maybe kids are still tender? It sounds odd to say "mmm let's eat some kids," so maybe we just say goat? Maybe you just have to braise all goat meat. I'll ask a Mexican.

Which reminds me, the future sil's grandmother and step mom are going to give me cooking lessons the day of the wedding. In the morning, of course. I may be more excited about that than the wedding.

And they served this crazy dish made of a green tomatillo sauce and pork rinds. I didn't partake. I don't like pork rinds. But the concept was fascinating. They also had this crazy jello mould. It was white jello, really, white jello, wth flecks of other coloured jello in it. It was good, but it tasted Mexican. You know, like it just didn't taste like something you'd get here? Apparently I don't explain the phenomenon well. Husband was very confused.

Donna, are you inlaws renting for a vacation, or are they moving?

And while I'm on it, husband and I have decided to be brave, and try hagis when we go to Scotland next summer. Anyone had it?

Apr 19, 10 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Phil - Thanks, thats it. I was there, although I think it was in 2008? Maybe it went to 2009. Thats when I got to see the micro compact home in person. It would be great to have that on site as I build my house (spoken matter-of-factly as if its obviously going to happen, but in reality just a lofty goal that is one of many)

Nam - Medium. I think it runs a little large though and thats why I don't wear it now. Just pay shipping and it is yours. As for the leather thing, and I'm sure you already know; but apparently leather just can't be beat for abrasion protection (not impact). The problem with leather for me is: the comfort in hot weather and price. The leather jacket I bought in seattle was a vintage used one (not motorcycle specific) for like 30 bucks that I plan to put over my regular jacket when it is cold. Comfort is a big deal for me because it can take away from focus/concentration, and I will think about not wearing it altogether.

Apr 19, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

Sarah the tc ghosts are double posting for you. Goat meat is actually quite tender when cooked long enough, it's like lamb in that regard but doesn't shrink and get gelatinous so it's quite nice. The first donner kebab I had was with goat meat dubbed local mutton - weird when I think back because I was in Massachusetts at the time. Don't remember seeing any goats wandering the streets of Cambridge

So I have the afternoon free and feeling a tad idle.

Apr 19, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

oh and Nam I head to NOLA in March for a wedding. I'm anxious and excited and the missus says we can stay a few days and look around because she knows I'm über excited architecturally.

Apr 19, 10 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

tee hee. There is a Q&A column I like to read called Ask a Mexican! You can ask him anything and he gives very colorful responses!

Apr 19, 10 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

archi sounds fun. We are hoping to visit this year for sure. Maybe for Holloween. Apparently they have some sort of festival..

also slart i think you meant melt?

Apr 19, 10 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Haha, yes... *m. Is it Friday yet?

Apr 19, 10 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Atechno if you want I can drop you a running list of NOLA recommendations for eats and drinks I circulate to friends going to visit. I was hoping to get back down there for Jazz fest this year but couldn't wing it, so for now I'll just keep watching Treme.

Nam I'm interested who your friends are since the architecture world is so small down there... sounds very similar to someone I might know.

Apr 19, 10 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Default city!!! No health insurance and I'm pretty sure I've had strep throat for 3 weeks.

I'm going to hold out another week before burdening the healthcare system.

Apr 19, 10 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Awww man Slart... it's going to be too big, as I am a small framed female. Thanks though for the offer. :o(

BTW - Brad Pitt on Holmes in NOLA!!!

Apr 19, 10 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Tumble, they might be 'brush' goats (also known as hill, scrub or wood goats).

Since Sarah said she was from Texas this is more than likely the case. I think there's maybe 5,000 Spanish goats left in the US?

They look like this:

[i]And they are as mean as shit.[/]

They use to be really common in New Mexico as they are incredibly hardy goats needing almost no fresh water (which means less windmills and watering holes-- hence, upkeep). A lot of them were shot because they become pests.

And the others were replaced with other variety of goats. In the 90s, many people stopped keeping Spanish goats as pets in the New Mexico because the Pygmy Goat was the must have fad.

Apr 19, 10 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Also, interesting side story about the Spanish goat!

The island (a volcanic dome) that's situated in the middle of Elephant Butte Reservoir on the Rio Grande has a population of feral Spanish Goats. They have mutated over the generations from inbreeding.

And the Goats:

I believe the island is referred to as Rattlesnake Hill.

Apr 19, 10 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

UGH, hotlinking!

Bonus picture:

Elephant Butte is one of the only places in the world where you'll see near albino pure white pelicans!

Also, one of the only places in the world where you'll find pelicans 1000 miles from the ocean, 1 mile high and in the middle of the desert!

Apr 19, 10 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

unicorn funny that you mention inbred goats and a volcano. There's a volcano isle about 12 miles northwest of Montserrat called Redunda (it's a royal monarchy actually) that was known for their goats - that were equally mean. The original goats were brought over when the island was mined for copper in the 1800s. Every now and them folks from neighbouring islands would steal/covet one of the male ones for breeding. They were unmistakeable though the horns grew in wild spirals, and just had this swagger of the wild

Apr 19, 10 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Whoa, weird *m. For a second there I thought you were a guy (not based on how you talk/write or anything like that). I think its a weird online identity thing where you merged with Nam in my mind temporarily. Good luck on your protective gear search

Apr 19, 10 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

did anyone else have to search for a minute to realize the building that the new episode of Ubertect refers to is North Carolina’s Legislative Building by Edward Durell Stone?

I did.. But what a nice building. Glad i had a reason to discover it.

Love all the goat talk. Is there really a cheese made from fed by lichen goat milk, tumbles?

Apr 19, 10 8:30 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and for those who haven't seen it yet, Übertect is Archinect's new comic strip by London-based artist Alison Moffett, see here

Apr 19, 10 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Unicorn... you amaze me by your plethora of various knowledge. Love the goat talk... I had absolutely no idea about any of it.

Apr 19, 10 9:53 pm  · 
 · 

I love seeing goat pictures on TC!

Apr 19, 10 9:58 pm  · 
 · 

I'm bubbling with excitement about the start of PKN:Kingston. I'm trying my darnest to mix up the presenters for the first one... so far I've secured an artist who wants to talk about her time in Mexico, an architectural technologist wants to share her photographs, a sculptor who's moved from scrap metal to pixels and a meeting with a few other creatives next week. Wish me luck

Apr 19, 10 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Might get banned for reals!

BUT WE NEED MOAR GOATS!

Apr 19, 10 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

techno, I still need to hook you up with Big Earl. I'm glad it isn't too late, I was afraid it was.

Apr 19, 10 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh man. I scheduled my first ARE tonight! It's going to suck! But I have until July to study. Sheesh.

Also I just saw most of South Park's 200th episode... wow. Just... wow.

Apr 20, 10 2:05 am  · 
 · 

which one did you schedule dubK? don't worry they're really not so bad!

Apr 20, 10 7:26 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Atcehno - when is the PKN scheduled? I must have completely missed something because I thought you were presenting, not organizing. That's really exciting. Keep us updated on its development.

Apr 20, 10 8:28 am  · 
 · 
****melt

It's all good Slart. It's easy to do around here.

Am I the only one who had trouble reading the text on the comic even in its enlarged view? I gave up half way through.

Apr 20, 10 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Hey Strawberry it's not too late I would love the contact for Big Earl. And *melt not to worry, I am organising it hopefully for the end of June and maybe one in July. There's an art festival called Kingston on the Edge, and I'm trying to piggy back on their press etc for the first one. I was hoping to have gotten all the stuff from the PKN powers that be before so I could of held it as part of the architect's week currently running now. But no dice

Apr 20, 10 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Tumbles, I directed my mom to your blog.

Apr 20, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Ban test.

Apr 20, 10 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I believe they are your standard pygmy goat. Pygmy goats make great milkers! Sassy animals, though. I found them on Flickr searching for "pygmy goat."

Sup? Someone say pygmy goat?

Apr 20, 10 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: