Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Living in Gin

Just a quick note to let everybody know I've arrived safely here in the 'Nati. More importantly, I have broadband internet again! With the help of friends and family, and with a good housing situation, this turned out to be one of the most straightforward, drama-free long-distance moves I've ever done, and I've done quite a few. Hopefully this foreshadows a happy future for me here... In a few weeks I'll learn my fate regarding grad school, and find out whether or not I'll be sticking around for the long-term. In the meantime, though, it's great to be home.

Mar 2, 10 10:58 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Welcome back to the middle, LiG!

Mar 2, 10 11:38 am  · 
 · 

anyone have a digital copy or link to the Fisher article?

Mar 2, 10 11:49 am  · 
 · 

and good to hear LIG. Hopefully the rest of your plans of so smoothly.

Mar 2, 10 11:50 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

emily - wood-frame is pretty common in the northeast for multi-family. I've started seeing more light-gauge metal construction around here, though.

the projects I've done in the Caribbean were all CMU - hurricanes and from what I understand, wood rots in like 5 minutes in that climate.

I'm still trying to understand why there is rarely concrete construction in the northeast.

Mar 2, 10 11:58 am  · 
 · 

crap, i got the name wrong. it was by tom PETERS. and it was in perspecta 25. i've been getting that wrong for years.

Mar 2, 10 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

got access to jstor, nam?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/1567141

Mar 2, 10 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

steven,

Yes, i do. One of the benefits of working at an academic medical institution.

I get access to the university library's http://webcasts.gsd.harvard.edu/gsdlectures/s2010/soja.mov resources

Mar 2, 10 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

oh and thanks

Mar 2, 10 1:17 pm  · 
 · 

Steven,
Thanks. Yes I do. One of the benefits of working IT for at an academic medical institution. I can access all the library's digital resources.

Mar 2, 10 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the info, peeps! And for the link Steven. I'll definitely check that out.

Another day, another phone call where I get jerked around by NCARB. Le sigh.

Mar 2, 10 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

crap i didn't realize we had switched to a new page.

oh and

Mar 2, 10 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Wowsers, the pages are all screwed up aren't they?

Mar 2, 10 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Vintage legos, I love it!

I just had the strangest, and most delicious sandwich - brisket with smoked cheese and kahula cream sauce. It tasted like french toast.

Oh, and Happy Independence Day! I'm throwing a party on Saturday if you're up for sangria and brisket!

Mar 2, 10 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

to answer lb's question from a few pages back - no grow op here (however it was discussed half-seriously). I just love to garden and have a very challenging (=short) growing season. Last year was my first real attempt at producing the greens, beans, potatoes, corn,peas and tomatoes that my family would consume later summer and into the fall. Ideally I would be able to produce enough in a greenhouse to keep this going longer.

Thinking of a pit greenhouse:
http://www.roperld.com/science/graphics/EarthShelteredGreenhouse.jpg

If I were to grow pot, I'd do it hydroponically indoors under artificial light. It's tempting as a cash crop for sure, but I have a hard time believing I could do it in a legitimate way and make money.

tumbles I am waaaay excited for your cheese making...I am wanting some goats for bio-control of weeds. I may just hire a goat herd this summer and fall.

Mar 2, 10 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

nam, i just emailed you that article before i saw that you have access to jstor already... if anyone else wants it send me a message...

Mar 2, 10 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Interesting short piece in today's NYT about the true value of appropriate architectural design: Santiago Stands Firm

At times like this, it makes me proud to be an architect.

Mar 2, 10 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Chalk another one up to those super-cool jumpsuited super heros!

Mar 2, 10 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

maybe safety vest would be more versatile than jumpsuits?

Mar 2, 10 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Aw, crap, Steven. That rocks my world, I thought the article was by the guy who's now Dean at U of Minnesota. Mass confusion!

I sat in a zoning hearing for 5 hours today. Thankfully, we were finally approved.

Mar 2, 10 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i've got an interview this week.

Mar 2, 10 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

With the afghani stuff, beta?

Mar 2, 10 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

general question,, do jstor and other databases not mind if people who don't have direct access eventually get to their database? or are they so big they dont care?

Mar 2, 10 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Apparently when it happens to women it's called camel toe, but when it happens to men it's called moose knuckle, and it's a pretty compelling argument against jumpsuits (link not safe for those made squeamish by bad fashion).

I still think coveralls are cool, though.

Mar 2, 10 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

dear TC,

is 4 transmissions too many for an 8 year old, 85k mile vehicle?!?

lb, camel toe and moose knuckle pervade the UW campus - do people not own mirrors?

Mar 3, 10 12:21 am  · 
 · 
montagneux

Lb, you can get around mooseknucles if you opt for a dropped crotch (harem pants) or boxed crotch (a small piece of rectangular fabric is sewn in where the crotch seem should be).

But these two styles actually probably accentuate the crotch more but it a more dignified hanging manner versus crammed up to your adam's apple.

Mar 3, 10 12:23 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
I'm still trying to understand why there is rarely concrete construction in the northeast.

Labor costs.

Mar 3, 10 1:11 am  · 
 · 

Holz,
I would think not.

I vote for the jumpsuits. Just make sure to get big enough size that neither mooseknuckle or camel toes is a problem.

Mar 3, 10 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You should still be on your first transmission, unless your vehichle is under unusual stress. Are you a racecar driver? What kind of car?

Morning!

Mar 3, 10 9:19 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

so ... strawbeary ... what's up with the new screen name: *t*a*b*a ?

Mar 3, 10 10:45 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

quizz... it's temporary.

Mar 3, 10 10:55 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i know i should be on my first transmission. it's an '02 accord. shocked? yeah, me too...

there is no unusual stress and i ain't no race car driver. the trannys on 02s apparently suck a** but not enough for a full blown recall. i guess i could pray my 14 month old, 9k mile tranny #3 gives out on the highway and i cause some 60 car pile-up...

Mar 3, 10 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

do you have a leak in your tranny fluid?

Mar 3, 10 11:15 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

nope. just a friggin lemon. ayayay. shooting off letters to corporate, either way i'll be selling this thing.

Mar 3, 10 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

selling is probably the best way to go. Trannys are not cheap. Most shops don't even actually rebuild them, they just replace them.

If you drove a european import, and lived in my area, I'd send a guy out to diagnose your problem - it'd only cost you thirty bucks!

Mar 3, 10 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

LB - gender-neutral codpieces?

Mar 3, 10 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Go to this thread and see a video that just totally reinforces the multi-functionality and coolness of jumpsuits!

Mar 3, 10 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

hey, does anyone know of a furniture manufacturer who makes desks with built-in (preferably recessed) power strips? I know that I've seen something like this, but can't find it anywhere. Hoping that someone happens to have specced one of these so knows off the top of their heads.

New learning of the day = moose knuckle. I don't know that I've ever noticed a guy with moose knuckle, but you know that now I'll be looking.

Mar 3, 10 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

I have actually designed a whole series of furniture with integrated plugs!

I think this is a pretty common idea... I have seen others proposing the same thing. But I have actually not seen anything for sale though. I think I saw a coffee table with plugs on the top but it was like $8,000.

Mar 3, 10 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

copper, don't know what your budget is... but i remember something!

nomono by fedrik mattson.
dot by fedrik mattson
henry by sandellsandberg

others
via www.horreds.se

Mar 3, 10 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

cooper t I remember seeing a mac inspired desk early last year on dezeen that had just that but for the life of me can't find it. Here's a concept of one though I'm sure that's useless for you at this point.

Mar 3, 10 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

whoa, techno -- hello, howl's moving castle! that thing is awesome!

Mar 4, 10 12:35 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Am I the only one that thinks it would be a pain to get in and out of that desk? Just saying.

Morning all.

Mar 4, 10 8:49 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

copper - steelcase - they have a few... or any large office furniture and systems manufacturers (knoll, herman miller, maxon, etc..).

This has been around for ages - my old cube at my first office was probably made in the early 90s (herman miller, I think), and it had a recessed power-strip.

it's also pretty easy to do something custom - although if you want power + tel/data, I'd seriously consider doing something built-in.

Mar 4, 10 9:42 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

that horreds line is nice, btw...

of all the manufactures I mentioned, steelcase probably has the least ugly line... if this is a one-off thing, then I'd recommend to just design something and get it built - especially if you are ok with using off-the-shelf legs and p-lam counters - it'll be cheaper.

Mar 4, 10 9:59 am  · 
 · 

morning all.

Mar 4, 10 11:14 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

last one on the desks, I promise - I know there are some really awesome industrial power strips that have digital displays that monitor power usage, interesting knobs and switches, and a removable face-plate (I think you can find them for under $100). I could imagine cutting a long rectangular hole in the table body and then mounting it flush to the surface, copying the holes from the face plate into whatever veneer you are using - running the cord through a hollow leg or something...

it's good if you can remove/open the power strip to replace any blown fuses, though... you don't want to have something that you can't take apart.

Mar 4, 10 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
copper_top

thanks all, we'll see what happens for this. My office is getting a bit of a redesign, and the research group has decided we want one long table or series or desks that are unassigned, so it's important for us to be able to plug in anywhere. Custom is definitely becoming more appealing, especially since we have a model shop.

Mar 4, 10 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

i would just design it myself, copper_top. we do custom furniture all the time and is not particularly expensive in the end.

last night watched laugh or die video of the presidential caricaturists from SNL all together...on the subway...it was embedded in countdown pod-cast and totally snuck up on me.

was hard to keep from laughing out loud - lady sitting beside me probably was wondering why i was shaking so much. jim carey as ron reagan was too funny. shocking to see dan akroyd looking all old and stuff, but he was still great. if you haven't seen it i recommend tracking it down.

Mar 4, 10 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: