Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Good morning all,
Back at work and exicted to be here!
At least I ain't on call this week.
Also, beta and vado, didn't see the movie. Enjoyed the book. It was slightly depressing but i think captured the spirit of suburban bleh post WW II, quite well.

Jul 15, 09 8:21 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Great photos Nam, thanks for sharing

I'm still alive

Jul 15, 09 8:27 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Vado, I have never seen Casablanca; not sure why, really.

Abram is having the best time with my gandmother. She's been here all week, and he's been dragging her on walks, bringing her books, sitting on the porch swing with her. Its reall been kinda sweet.

Oh, and we watched Rachel getting married. It was very realistic, but kinda dull, too. And what kind of wedding was that anyway?

Jul 15, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

i like casablanca, but, i have to say, its very anti-climatic,,, thats evident, since vado, you had to actually do research to create an ending for yourself,,, you know what i mean?

nevertheless Sarah, you should watch it. definitely

Jul 15, 09 8:43 am  · 
 · 

Sarah I never saw Rachel getting married, but I wouldn't be convinced of Anne Hathaway playing the anti-heroine (pun unavoidable). She is uni-dimensional but is good when she does it. Casablanca I saw as a very young man, teenager at a time when I was keen on becoming a renaissance man - it was however an easily forgettable film.

and it's day no.2 of me being home sick. Time for a nap.

Jul 15, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I've discovered that many of the "legendary" classics are kind of depressing, anti-climatic, and/or just plain bad. I Finally saw Breakfast at Tiffanies...so not worth the hype and I kind of felt the same about Casablanca.

Jul 15, 09 11:45 am  · 
 · 

two of my all-time-favorites, dapper. more tiffany's than casablanca for me, though.

maybe i'm a sucker for depressing movies that don't depend on the normal build-to-a-climax trajectory, but i certainly don't think either of these could be considered bad, or even hyped...

i've watched tiffany's over and over and never get tired of it.

Jul 15, 09 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

casablance aniti climatic? i don't know whet the hell you guys were watching. the climax was that rick went from being a man with no commitment to anyone but himself to a commitment to a cause...

Jul 15, 09 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks, Steven. We are considering anything at this point... when you have a moment, drop me an email with your friend's website/contact.

Jul 15, 09 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Ether, I hope things are ok there.

I found Tiffannys to be kinda blah as well. I think what happens is that movies are talked about and talk about, and I get this idea in my head and they never live up to that.

Anne Hathaway actually played a very good junkie. She was quite believable, really. I would say that was one of the things to like about the movie.

We have Family Stone here now. I will let you know how that one goes.

Jul 15, 09 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, and the watch came in. I think Husband will like it, but the 'polished' band is actually still rubber, just shiny rubber. I thought it was metal. At least it looks like metal. It's still gonna smell, though.

Jul 15, 09 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
Fire!
Jul 15, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

Ether, hope things settle out soon.

I personally prefer Casablanca to Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Jul 15, 09 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

:O!! i love breakfast at tiffanys!!!! audrey hepburn!! aaaaaaa!! they dont make them leading ladies like they used to!! but you have a point dapper, the classics are usually a whole lot more depressing than movies now,, i.e. roman holiday, sunset blvd.. etc etc

vado, i know what u mean, but, the movie ends and you feel like u were ripped off,, maybe anti climatic is not the right description,,, and maybe being ripped off is the effect they were going for,, whatever it is, its definitely not a bad movie,,

sarah,, how bad is the family stone? :P

Jul 15, 09 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

sarah/sw" have you seen cache?

Jul 15, 09 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

I loved breakfast at Tiffany's - Audrey's finest

Jul 15, 09 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

indeed

Jul 15, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Is that th one where her husband was a spy of sorts? If so, yes. Wait, that was Charade. Guess not. I almost bought a dress at Cache' once.

Jul 15, 09 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

re: Breakfast at Tiffany's - never saw the movie but read the book a long time ago. If I remember correctly, I really liked it, but I was surprised at just how short it was.

Audrey is the shiz-nit!!! I heart her.

One of the all time classic movies that disappointed me the most was The Graduate. I watched it over Thanksgiving and was expecting so much more. It seemed very disjointed. The scenes didn't run well together. Does anyone know if the movie was actually adapted from a novel? At times I felt it was but never took the time to figure it out.

Jul 15, 09 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I prefer the dialog in classic movies - especially the shear quantity of really clever double entendre.

Jul 15, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 

Holz,
I have been meaning to watch Cache doesn't it involve a videotape or something?

Also, re: classic films. A couple of years ago i went on a kick of watching old french films from the 50-60s.

The thing i grew to love th emost about those older films that then made me appreciate all films more was the lack of dialog ( in the sense of having some Pinterian silence) and even more so the long tracking shots of characters and scenes. Rather than a lot of editing the films view more like theatre. You see much more of a shot from start to finish.

Jul 15, 09 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Charles Webb wrote the novel The Graduate.

I have several Facebook friends who know so damned much about old films its caaaaraaaazy. a couple of them are film writers. they like to post and post and post photos of dead actors and actresses.

I have been watching a lot of french new wave as well. I think one of my favorite directors in Clouzot who did The Wages of Fear and Diabolique. Both great films. You can watch many films on the Criterion website and on the Auteurs website.

My most viewed film ever is Diva which came out in 1983. It is the story of a postman who is infatuated with an opera singer who has never made a recording. He makes a bootleg tape of her performance. Two Taiwanese gangsters see him making the tape. In a parallel story a prostitute is murdered by two thugs who work for a Paris crime boss. Just before she dies she puts her incriminating tape into the postman's moped saddlebag. So the postman is being chased by the Taiwanese gangsters and the Parisian gangsters. He is rescued by a man named Gorodish . Gorodish, who is assisted by a beautiful Vietnamese girl, who doesn't do anything in the movie except smoke until he finishes a giant jigsaw puzzle. Then he saves the Postman from the bad guys. It is one of the most stylish films ever.

"Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. is one of the best endings ever!"

Jul 15, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

wanna see a GREAT movie? go and watch On The Waterfront.

1954 the movie was made, and yet that movie is one of the most modern pieces of film making. the whole time i am watching it i kept thinking, this is 1954??

Jul 15, 09 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

vado - If you're into french new wave (or the influences of) - I'd check out Jaques Becker's "Le Trou" - somehow there's nothing more riveting than watching inmates dig a hole for 2 hours.

Jul 15, 09 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I saw Diva in 1983 on a first date with a guy from my church. He said disparagingly afterwards that he didn't know it was a "new wave movie". There was no second date.

My husband made fresh limeade for dinner. Then mentioned that if I added tequila and triple sec to mine I'd have a margarita. Five seconds later I was pouring tequila into mine, along with Orange Curacao, as I had no Triple Sec. Man, that's GOOD.

Jul 15, 09 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I saw "Easy Rider" when I was 16 at a drive in movie theater with my 15 year old date.....well I don't recall alot of the movie cause we were getting busy in the back of my 1956 Chevy Station Wagon. I did watch it later....and well it always brought a smile to my face. We were so underage....but who cares when you live in the sticks.

Jul 15, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Liberty I'm having lemonade as well - the heat demands it, but I'm far too lazy to find booze to put in it. And *m I'm very disappointed you didn't like the graduate, it's one of my favourite films of all times. In fact I've long blamed that movie for my fascination with older sophisticated women.

I watched the Neighbour this afternoon with Matthew Modine and Michèle Laroque. A decent film, propelled by the fact that his character is an architect and goes into a fit of rage destroying a model when he finds out the lead is his wealthiest client. And she seems to know not a lick of English delivering lines a sentence at a time with smirks and smiles to fill in where her translator has not. Well worth the watch

Jul 15, 09 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

love old movies. my wife hates them because they are always talking in them, even musicals (which i love). she prefers spiderman and harry potter. which is fine with me. i like them too. mind-candy is always acceptable.

still there is always a great thrill watching carey grant share quips with his leading lady in the classics. Tastes have definitely changed though. Not that the films have gotten bad, only we no longer see in them what others did. Natural order of things isn't it? michael graves, much disparaged on this site, was once see as exemplar of architecture on the cutting edge...now viewed as stooge-like amateur.

most favorite movie for me is still "All Quiet on the Western Front".

Jul 15, 09 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

Man all this talk of fresh limeade and lemonade is making a man thirsty,

Thanks vado i didn't even realize Criterion streamed films.

Jump, i remember my mother making me read All quiet on the Western Front as a teen. It made an impression. Haven't seen the film.
Nite all.

Jul 15, 09 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and does anyone else think H and R is back?

Jul 15, 09 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I do... Can't say I'm surprised.

Jul 15, 09 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I give up, I GIVE UP, I GIVE UP!!!!!

I was just enjoying one of those shows about how they make a snack food - Kettle Chips, which I love - and they showed the woman onscreen who is in charge of the seasonings the chips are flavored with.

Her title? Chief Flavor Architect

Goddammit. I give up.

Jul 15, 09 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin
Chief Flavortect

has a nice ring to it.

Jul 15, 09 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

LB is officially drunk!

btw, margaritas sound awesome right now...

Jul 15, 09 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I just visited the Kettle Chips website and they proudly use the term Architect there too. I submitted a comment form, not a nasty one, and hopefully cheerful enough to warrant an envelope of coupons for their chips appearing in my mailbox (that's what happened when I complained to Garden of Eatin' about the non-recyclability of their chip bags a few years ago ;-)

Jul 15, 09 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

I think you should send a follow up email to your AIA chapter about preservation of the title

Jul 16, 09 12:30 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Mmmmm LB, I'm coming to your house for some margaritas.

Atechno - I didn't say I didn't like the Graduate, I only said I was disapointed in it. I most definitely will try to find the book and read it. I'm usually disapointed with movies that are adapted from books. You just can't get everything in.

Speaking of books made into movies, I saw Harry Potter last evening. Was pretty good. It's been so long since I listened to the audiobook that I couldn't remember everything. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the library to take it out and listen to it again.

Jul 16, 09 8:35 am  · 
 · 

interesting little tidbit:
Demo work started this week at the Isabella Steward Gardner Museum for the Renzo Piano addition, albeit not without criticism.

It two blocks from Wentworth, so one of these days I'll remember to grab my camera and take some pictures on my way into work.

Jul 16, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

a five million dollar reward is out there if you have any information regarding the Isabelle Stewart Gardner heist!

Jul 16, 09 9:42 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We are using this term in the same manner Webster's Dictionary uses it in one of their many definitions:
a person who designs and guides a plan or undertaking as in the architect of American foreign policy. This is what our Chief Flavor Architect does. She is also a highly educated scientist. It is an appropriate use of the word. Your comments will be shared with the staff, however.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

I really do love their chips.

Jul 16, 09 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Thanks for the criterion website tip. My list of favorite classsic movies tends more towards comedy than drama and includes a lot of Carey Grant and Doris Day. Anyone ever see Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte? I was terrified of it for years, tried watching it again last year, and yep, still scary. The classics knew that the magic was in the suspense not the gore.

Jul 16, 09 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

LB, did you get your chip coupons with that gracious but slightly cutting reply?

Jul 16, 09 10:38 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

liberty bell: Chief Architect of Amusing Herself When She Really Should Be Writing That Contract That's Due Today at 2pm

Jul 16, 09 10:51 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

What is worse - a real position using the architect title or some ridiculous made-up position? I introduce to you, the McDonald's world's smallest food architect.

[img\http://www.angryasianman.com/images/angry/mcdonalds_kjkim.jpg[/img]

Hmm...the preview button doesn't seem to work all the time...

Jul 16, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Let me try that again

What is worse - a real position using the architect title or some ridiculous made-up position? I introduce to you, the McDonald's world's smallest food architect.

Hmm...the preview button doesn't seem to work all the time...

Jul 16, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 

lol, LB. i was under impression it was legal to use architect freely as long as not trying to claim can design buildings sans license...?

Jul 16, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Slart, is that real?!

Yes, jump, you're right. It just annoys me that I earned the cache of using the word architect and other professions didn't. They're coat-tailing on our cool.

Granted, I'm not really very cool. I don't ever, for example, dress all in black like that tiny little man by the burrito.

I'm just amusing myself with this little campaign. And, still hoping to get some coupons from Kettle Chips ;-)

Jul 16, 09 11:03 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Oh, its very real.

Ridiculous

Check out his portfolio. Its clearly supposed to be based off of actual architects, not using the general architect term (which I still thought was not allowed?)

I'm not offended by it but I'm not amused either (or make me want to go to McDonalds)

Jul 16, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That ad campaign leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

(ba-dum-dum!)

Jul 16, 09 11:19 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Perhaps someone needs to send an email to the staff at Websters Dictionary and edumacate them on the proper usage of the term "Architect".

And really, how is that thing considered a snack? Because it's wrapped in a flour tortilla?

That ad IS indeed unamusing, to the point of being annoying.

ARGH!!! Oh and BTW - I'm tired of working on clusterf*cks for projects.

Jul 16, 09 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: