Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

b3tadine[sutures]

i totally pwn the womens!

Jul 8, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think its because of the "gayness" of the bruno shot. whereas, a nude woman "artistically" considered is not "dangerous" Bruno is dangerous.

Jul 8, 09 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

bruno IS dangerous! dangerously handsome.

Jul 8, 09 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

LOL- a list with a gehry sandwiched between a giant Ipod and a giant toilet

the only good building on the list is:

Jul 8, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

It's just absurd that both of them are the very same exact pose -- and in fact the girl actually has more "naughty bits" partially exposed, that she's attempting to cover. There is absolutely no reasoned, logical explanation that can excuse this; it is sexism in the purest form.

I mean, I'm not like gonna go lead a charge or anything, I just think it's important to point out & be aware.

Jul 8, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

everyday is an adventure at my office as I sit near the 85-y.o. founder of the firm who is losing his short-term memory. He has taken up the hobby of slicing up our magazines and any other bit of paper to make 'collages'. Today he slashed a newspaper that had an article we needed, then denied that he did it.

that's it.

I'm taking way his scissors and xactos after he leaves today and hiding all my blades.

Jul 8, 09 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I find both covers to be annoying and unnecessary.

Jul 8, 09 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

i have a feeling only americans care about either of those covers?

neither bothers me, neither seems sexist, nor even interesting. am glad that naked man on cover who is not remotely cut nor cute can sell issues. wanna bet that brad pitt would sell more though?

Jul 8, 09 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Did someone say Brad Pitt?

Jul 8, 09 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dammit, I admit it: I still find scruffy goatees sexy, on some men. I can't help it.

Jul 8, 09 10:36 pm  · 
 · 

wow TC is quiet. Where's Sarah? And Wonder K? Not to mention those that have completely fell off the radar like Strawbeary, Tumbles, Mdler... I guess we have to inject some young blood or just start a fight to get this place rocking

Jul 8, 09 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
n_

liberty bell - you are hilarious.

Jul 8, 09 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'm going to become an uncle at any time now.

Jul 8, 09 11:40 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and Liberty I wear a scruffy about 90% of the time so I hope I'm one of the sexy few

Jul 9, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

LiG? done? congrats!!

i love the new serpentine!

tk, should he not have scissors and xactos to begin with?

Jul 9, 09 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

According to my wife, Brad Pitt is irrelevant after seeing Bradley Cooper in "The Hangover".

Jul 9, 09 1:37 am  · 
 · 

i became uncle a few months back. kind of strange feeling. hope you enjoy it LIG!

speaking of brothers, my brother is always quick to point out that if there was anyone he would go totally gay for its brad pitt. he been saying that for moren 10 years now. don't think brad cooper is gonna elicit same response. so until my brother decides he would be gay for some other dude i say brad pitt is still the guy...

very scientifically reasoned if i do say so myself. ;-)

Jul 9, 09 5:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

man, i've been doing scruffy for years, who knew that hollywood has been following me.

Jul 9, 09 5:16 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

i just dont shave much, and noone in the office seems to mind, so long as i do the good cad work,, thats fair by my standards

manta, i listened to one RadioLab, i enjoyed it, thanks :D

havents seen the hangover yet, thoughts?

Jul 9, 09 5:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Cute, but Bradley Cooper looks too young to me. And besides, does he like architecture?!

Your scientific reasoning is very funny, jump, and reminds me: I'm surprised I haven't yet told TC about the book I recently finished, Bonk by Mary Roach. (Personally, I prefer the term "boink" to bonk). The book is about how researchers over the years have studied sex, and it is hilarious, informative, and educational. If you haven't seen her TED talk 10 Things You Didn't Know About Orgasms, it's very entertaining (and mildly NSFW).

Jul 9, 09 7:41 am  · 
 · 

Morning all,

LB, that video of her talk was hilarious...
I actually watched it a couple of weeks ago. The whole pig sex/fertility thing was the most disturbing bit.

Jul 9, 09 8:18 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - HA!!! I just finished Bonk like four days ago. Funny you should mention it, b/c when it first came out I thought the title WAS BOINK. Have you read Stiff yet? Another awesome book by her. She makes it all so interesting.

Bradley Cooper, while nice on the eyes is just way too pretty and a little too young. Brad Pitt is still the #1 pick. He does scruffy like a pro. And just for the record, the older I get the more I like facial hair on men, although the clean shaven look has it's place too.

Jul 9, 09 8:34 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i have Stiff, but yet to read it.

Jul 9, 09 8:53 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Informative, AND educational. Often redundant much, Donna? ;-)

Off to GSA - see you in 3 hours, Steven!

Jul 9, 09 8:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

What is her whimsy Doctor Kinsey? That's an old song by Archie Gordon from 1953. As many of you may know mucho sex research was done by Alfred Kinsey on the campus of Indiana University. Currently, an juried art show "The artworks explore themes related to sex, gender, eroticism, reproduction, sexuality, romantic relationships, and the human figure." is running at IU's SOFA Gallery.

I have no comments about Brad's scruff.

Jul 9, 09 9:23 am  · 
 · 

After hearing about Boink I would assume that Stiff would be along the same subject manner. Hmmm I was a little disappointed when I researched the title of the book.

Good morning all. I just got a note saying I'll be interviewing Michael Graves for my blog. How cool is that? What should I ask him?

"uhmm so what's with the crap you designed after the NY5?"

jump look out for an email from me sometime today

Jul 9, 09 9:43 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ask him if he's read stiff and/or bonk.

Jul 9, 09 10:01 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

ask him if he was ever punched/kicked by an architect/architecture student. Details of the punch/kick would be welcome too. :D

Jul 9, 09 10:05 am  · 
 · 
fays.panda

oh oh, please please ask him if he ever read Tom Wolfe's From Bauhaus to Our House, that would have to hurt.

sorry, im extra mean with some people

Jul 9, 09 10:06 am  · 
 · 

and speaking about things you don't expect today's article on Wikipedia

Jul 9, 09 10:40 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I LOVED Stiff! That's where I learned all about the body farm. mmmm.... body farm...

fays -- glad you liked radiolab! some of their episodes still stick with me -- definitely check out the one on sleep, for example.

From Bauhaus to Our House... hahaha, that made me crack up. Excellent get, techno! I would love to interview an architect of such stature.

I would be interested in how he crossed into product design, and whether his design process for the products is similar or different to his design process for architecture. I

would ask him whether, in his mind, we will ever move beyond a need for the ideals / beliefs expressed in post-modern architecture. Have we moved into a new mode of ornamentation / pure shapes & geometries today? What does he think of some of the people who use descriptive geometries to attempt to unite form & ornament in the "skin"? Does he see ornamentation in current avant-garde work? If so, in whose / which? What does he think of the proportions of current work?

I dunno -- just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Jul 9, 09 11:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

ornament as symbol
ornament as nostalgia
ornament as symbolicnostaglism
ornament as nostalgicsymbolism...

Jul 9, 09 11:36 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

IMHO -

ornament is more like texture.

it's forms/geometries that are symbolicnostaglism.

Jul 9, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I like that -- ornament as texture. Definitely agree with you there toasteroven. This is definitely a line of thought it would be interesting to have a deep convo with Graves on.

Jul 9, 09 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I drank too much coffee this morning, and now I'm all jittery and can't stop peeing. Oops.

Jul 9, 09 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, I can't remember the last time I revisited the forums, and I'm glad to discover its all the same people in Thread Central from way back in the day!

Hi everyone!

Jul 9, 09 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Hey Pixel!!!!

Also, totally agree with manta.
Nice phrasing toast.

Jul 9, 09 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hi Pixel!

ornament as corpse
guess some folks like necrophilia

Jul 9, 09 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

here we go!

Jul 9, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Jul 9, 09 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
Jul 9, 09 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
 · 
mantaray
 · 
mantaray
Jul 9, 09 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

oohhh... soooo close!
apparently, the page turn is on the 01, not the 00, just in case you didn't know either!

Jul 9, 09 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Blast from the past. Thank you, mantaray.

Jul 9, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

loved that show!

better then this show. hey, wasn't that vado prancing about?

Jul 9, 09 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

for some reason my brain seems to have stored several bloodhound gang episodes on file after all these years. I can't remember where I put the garage key, yet I can remember the series where this kid exchanges a stamp collection for a machine that makes money, or the one where they catch the pickpocket with an alarm system attached to a wallet...

Jul 9, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
fays.panda

damn, wen i saw that we're in page 321 before i clicked on it i was thinkin i hope manta got to post the image cuz you were sad about missing 320,, now thats freaky,, anyway, too bad LiG?

i might get banned for this, but, i hate michael graves. i hated from bauhaus to our house's extreme bias (though enjoyed his witty jokes), but was happy to see graves trashed in it...

i guess its a generation thing

i couldnt finish a slice of cake today, now thats depressing!!

Jul 9, 09 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

Um,, awesome image manta. Loved that show.
Also really love dMathnet (which i think was a segment of 321 contact, right?
Anyone remember?

Also cool bit of info re: SANAA's pavillion,

"The roof is made using aluminum-faced plywood". For some reason i find that awesome.

Especially interesting within context of the last fe wposts about ornamentation, right?

Jul 9, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: