Archinect
anchor

Archinect 3.0

mantaray

This is awesome!  I, too, love the depth.  I feel like it's easier to find content, and easier to get engaged with the content.  I'm also really impressed by the design - you managed to keep virtually *all* the good qualities of the old design and yet still morph into a newer, better version.  I particularly like how you can click anywhere in the thread name "bar" and you don't have to click exactly on the thread name itself.

I did, however, come in here specifically to make the same comment Sarah and others have - I feel like the name-bars interrupt the flow of the conversation a little in the forums.
That's all - really looking forward to the rest of it rolling out!  Very exciting, and thank you!!
Apr 11, 11 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Evan - I assume you're on Windows? Can you tell us what OS you're using? We're running multiple variations of Mac and Windows in the office and we haven't seen fonts as hideous as in your screenshot yet. This is what they're looking like on our 'puters:

Apr 11, 11 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

Has the favicon been updated?! I am thoroughly enjoying the news submission form (in case you haven't noticed.)

Apr 11, 11 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
THIS IS IN BOLD.
And in all caps apparently because I'm cadding.

Apr 11, 11 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Evan my bold all looks good, from what I can see on my computer screen, that is.  As does Archinect's post above.

Apr 11, 11 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

The A logo reminds me of NYC A train, except it's emo.

All aboard the emo A train! choo choo
Apr 11, 11 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I like v3.0 so much I may have to start posting again!

Apr 11, 11 11:45 pm  · 
 · 

I'm on windows 7. tried it out w/ chrome, ff, and IE, all looked about the same, and seeing your (nice) screenshot above it may be something with my own settings --- however, I don't seem to have font rendering issues on other sites or in any other programs.... hmm....

Apr 11, 11 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Welcome back Chili! 

Happy Birthday Donna!
With all these new pictures, its probably time for a new archinect crush thread...
Apr 12, 11 12:22 am  · 
 · 

Good morning dia!  It's like the old days, I'm just finishing up my work and you're just starting.

Apr 12, 11 12:43 am  · 
 · 
dia

It is like the old days - its like a family reunion but in different time zones.

Apr 12, 11 12:54 am  · 
 · 

good to know that someone else is just finishing up too Donna

Apr 12, 11 1:01 am  · 
 · 
Sean Taylor

Donna. . .half-day?

Apr 12, 11 1:03 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ahh, i kinda miss the ability to select any page in a thread, now we only have 4 options?

also, what's this top secret invite thingy?
Apr 12, 11 2:09 am  · 
 · 
bRink

Awesome.  Love the new look.  Sweet, so we can create an avatar photo now?

Next up: Archinect Mobile App?

Apr 12, 11 2:44 am  · 
 · 

overall i like it, only thing that i do find it that the text is quite far spaced out, means you have to more scrolling than before. but definitely not a major problem.

bold, italic etc buttons are def an improvement on old site.

wow and you can edit!!!!

Apr 12, 11 4:41 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

Great job! I like the site very much. I was thinking it would be hella nice to "follow" threads without commenting on them and you did it.

Apr 12, 11 6:11 am  · 
 · 

- my front page doesn't seem to have controls on the resizing of photos, so they bleed across the page into the white margin to the right and look streeeetttccchhed. (i'm now using a 17" hp pavilion, if that helps.) - yesterday i couldn't get a text box to come up in thread central, so i couldn't post. that was on my pc at work. - and, finally, it looks like - on some computers - we can no longer right-click to 'open in different window' when we want to check a thread or a post without leaving a page and having reload it? it works on this hp (vista-based), but not on my work pc (xp-based).

Apr 12, 11 6:54 am  · 
 · 

oops. take it back. 'open in different window' doesn't work on my vista hp, either: on the discussions page. so i can't keep the menu up and open tc in a separate window...

Apr 12, 11 6:56 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

having the same problem steven is with the stretching of images on the front page. i'm in ie. also the front page images look really pixalated. is that intentional? seems odd. using ie on my work computer, i don't have buttons for bold, italics, links, images, etc.; working at home on my mac i do. strange. btw love the new navigation. very simple. i think i'll start exploring areas of site i never usually wander into.

Apr 12, 11 8:30 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

also, i typed the above with hard returns at paragraphs and they did not appear when posted. edit button not working.

Apr 12, 11 8:33 am  · 
 · 

just tried to upload my firm. partially successful. (actually, now we're in there twice!) but pictures and logo/images can't be loaded, so portfolio entries can't be completed (and aren't accepted incomplete). and i don't know how to delete the duplicate entry.

Apr 12, 11 8:54 am  · 
 · 
trace™
Links

- opening in the same window.   Would be nice if they opened a new tab/window (just lost a long post by clicking on someone's link!)

Apr 12, 11 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Lian Chikako Chang

Have any of the School Bloggers figured out how to make a blog post in 3.0?

:(

Apr 12, 11 9:05 am  · 
 · 

re: my font issues - incidentally, it looks fine at home, on linux.....

Apr 12, 11 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Medit

[url=http://board.ateaseweb.com//public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif]link test[/url

[a href=http://board.ateaseweb.com//public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif]link test[/a]

<a href=http://board.ateaseweb.com//public/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif>link test</a>

can't make it work... if we could use direct HTML we could use the target="blank" tag, so links would open in new windows...

Apr 12, 11 9:13 am  · 
 · 
French

Hi yall
Nice to see some change on the website. I think it needed to catch up with the community website train, and it sure does with this new formula. Congrats!

Apr 12, 11 9:15 am  · 
 · 
French

A few comments from my first steps on the profile creation: I can't seem to find a way to link my office name in my personal profile and the profile I created for the office. On the same level of annoying things, the project i want to publish on my personal page should possibly be linked to the ones on the office page, shouldn't they?

Apr 12, 11 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Archinect, you had to know when you opened this to architects, you'd get lots of critical feedback.  Just know we do it all in love, and want to help you make it better.  Nothing like a world wide digital pin-up!

Apr 12, 11 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Rasa

Agreed Sarah! 

Apr 12, 11 9:44 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

holz.box - the profiles are in private beta mode for the first while, so we can resolve remaining bugs in a more controlled environment. anyone can apply for a beta invitation from the link on the people page, or if you know someone with a profile they can give you an invitation code.

Apr 12, 11 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

Steven:

- my front page doesn't seem to have controls on the resizing of photos, so they bleed across the page into the white margin to the right and look streeeetttccchhed. (i'm now using a 17" hp pavilion, if that helps.) -

Not sure we understand the problem you're reporting. This is how the homepage should look and react to browser resizing: http://screencast.com/t/gNfOGrL9uul0
Can you send a screenshot showing the stretching problems you're seeing?

yesterday i couldn't get a text box to come up in thread central, so i couldn't post. that was on my pc at work.

Strange. Have you noticed this multiple times?

- and, finally, it looks like - on some computers - we can no longer right-click to 'open in different window' when we want to check a thread or a post without leaving a page and having reload it? it works on this hp (vista-based), but not on my work pc (xp-based).

Right-clicking is a platform or browser-specific function. Not related to the website.

Apr 12, 11 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Archinect
Steven

- can you send us an email describing the problems you're experiencing with the firm profile? We're not aware of these problems, but we can fix them as soon as we get more details of the specific problems.

Medit - the new forms do not allow HTML or any other code. you must use the buttons to format the text. We will change it so that links open in new windows.

French - it sounds like the problem you're experiencing is due to there being multiple profiles for your firm. We are going to be resolving this soon with firm profile merging tools. In order to connect your employment record with your firm profile, you need to match them up. In your case you've created three different profiles for your firm, either by actually creating the profile or by entering the name of the firm in duplicate while editing your history. In this example you'll see that you have three duplicate profiles to select from: http://screencast.com/t/lns3BJYMgQl

Apr 12, 11 10:00 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

Fonts look really good to me, im using chrome.

Second the 'go to bottom' button being gone
Apr 12, 11 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

To all the "go to bottom" comments, don't worry, we'll be implementing a better solution soon. A "go directly to last comment" link from the forum index, so you won't need to click and scroll around to get to the end of a discussion.

Apr 12, 11 10:02 am  · 
 · 
architerp

The collasping/expanding subcategories to the left start to overlap after a few clicks.  Perhaps flatten it out and show everything... not much more space to do so.

All in all, awesome re-do.  You should sell your services to Digg and Gizmodo.

Apr 12, 11 10:10 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Links aren't opening in a new window

(I posted this earlier, but it seems to have vanished...?)

Apr 12, 11 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

hey trace - see my comment two comments above:

Medit - the new forms do not allow HTML or any other code. you must use the buttons to format the text. We will change it so that links open in new windows.

nobody here deleted your comment. maybe it's in another thread or you overlooked it?

Apr 12, 11 10:17 am  · 
 · 
French

Shoot. How can I correct this?

Apr 12, 11 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Archinect
French

- for now the best way is to select the correct profile (the one on the bottom is the first created and the top is the most recently created). The problem will eventually be resolved by us. We're working hard to ensure that the duplicate profile problem will be resolved as soon as possible, and all duplicate profiles will be merged together.

Apr 12, 11 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I like the "go to last comment" button, but at times this may not be ideal.  In the case of threads having multiple posts very quickly, and with only a few posts per page, you could end up a page or two off.  And with your "last comment" button, will it take us to the bottom on the page, or to the last page with a comment and we will still have to scroll?  The "bottom of page" button is unnecessary for those on a mac, but PCs and phones don't have a Command-down arrow option.

Apr 12, 11 10:46 am  · 
 · 
op+imis+ic
[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 The layout needs some refining.  There’s plenty of real estate to the right of the conversation thread, it made me imagine a single column in a newspaper with absolutely nothing in the adjacent column.  The conversation column could be wider to remedy this issue.

Navigation of the site is rather easy, but what happened to the following: ArchiMart, Books, and the Classifieds?  Those were fun to browse through.

Overall, I feel 3.0 is great improvement.
Apr 12, 11 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Rasa

I hope this transition still is a work in progress. I can't wait to see new feature after feature to pop up as time goes by :)

Apr 12, 11 10:55 am  · 
 · 
op+imis+ic

In my post above some coding was added in before the comment... 

• [if gte mso 9]>Normal0falsefalsefalseMicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Maybe a preview of your post should be an option?
Apr 12, 11 11:03 am  · 
 · 
op+imis+ic

- the amount of white space to the right depends on the size of the user's browser. we've designed this site to accommodate the most most common browser resolution, 1024x768. that said, it's very likely we'll redesign the layout of the forum threads based on the feedback we get to take better advantage of the space we have. We decided to remove books and archmart, but what are the classifieds you're referring to? If it's the Job listings, we still very much have those.

We don't have a preview button for comments, but you'll see that we now have an edit button (which appears to possibly not work on the horrid IE). Each user has 5 minutes to edit their comment after posting it.

Apr 12, 11 11:12 am  · 
 · 
op+imis+ic

I utilize both Apple and PC, currently I'm on a PC with Firefox.  I tried the "Edit Comment" button inside the 5 minute window and had no luck.

The classifieds I was referring to were the posts of space available, items for sale, etc...

Apr 12, 11 11:21 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

horrid IE is right paul....... even in the most simple of HTML based development ive been working on lately, IE is the only browser giving me fits... chrome... safari... mozilla... easy as pie... but for some reason... IE just sucks... really too bad its still by far the dominant browser...

Apr 12, 11 11:24 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, optmisitic, that was Archmart (the classifieds).  I liked it too, though i stopped using it recently I had bought two different items on it.

I like this comment of Sarah's SO much I had to repost it:
Nothing like a world wide digital pin-up!
Apr 12, 11 11:27 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i don't mind the white space at right. the most i want to read is 15-20 words per line. though i do wish the navigational buttons at left would stay in the same position as you scroll down. it's a bit of a pain in the ass to scroll back up to navigate away from the discussion thread. same could also be said of the links to the right, but that may just add clutter. worth experimenting with.

Apr 12, 11 11:27 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

ie may suck, but a huge number of people are still using it - site must work well with ie.

Apr 12, 11 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: