Archinect
anchor

Archinect 3.0

Fortunately IE9, just recently launched, appears to be much more compliant. Huge step forward, but I would love to see IE gone forever.

Thanks op+imis+ic, that was ArchMart, but I thought you were referring to something else because you listed ArchMart and classifieds. What version of Windows are you running? We're not able to reproduce the problem with the edit tool on our Windows/Firefox config. Do you not see the edit button, or is it not doing anything when you click it.. or something else?

BTW: thanks to everyone for the feedback and bug reports! We promise that the bugs will all be fixed, but we're a small team, and we're really tired after putting in really long days for the last few weeks, so the fixes will not be instant. Thanks for your patience and keep them coming!

Apr 12, 11 11:31 am  · 
 · 
byen01

This issue might have been raised already, but when doing searches thru the forum, why isn't it ordered by date, but rather by most accurate keyword match?

Apr 12, 11 11:35 am  · 
 · 
op+imis+ic

I'm using Windows XP (fully up to date), the newer versions of Windows didn't interest me, so I jumped into a Apple setup last year.  When I clicked on the "Edit Comment" button nothing happened?  The same thing happens with the "Search" button at the top of the forum?

Apr 12, 11 11:44 am  · 
 · 

I keep wishing that I could click on the "Archinect Discussion Forum" heading at the top to get back to the main forum list when I'm in the posts. It's just an instinctive thing since most sites work this way.

Apr 12, 11 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert
  • testing testing
Apr 12, 11 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

so far it has tested satisfactorily

Apr 12, 11 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

post for test edit

Apr 12, 11 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have not been able to post exciting and important youtube videos. how is this done exactly?

Apr 12, 11 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

I just noticed the 'A' logo in the top left actually has a black circle background, reminiscent of plain/rich black level of subtle difference. I had to sit up in order to see it. Nice touch - keeps my posture right. ;)

Apr 12, 11 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Testing:

Bold

Italic

• Bullet

But since no HTML, then no underline, no colors, no letter sizing.....oh well, can't have everything.  But you can have more than one paragraph break.
Apr 12, 11 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
            Bullet

Italic

• Bold

Apr 12, 11 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Underline

RED

• 72 point
Apr 12, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt
Bold
Italic

• Bullet
Now if I could only figure out how to link something.  Here goes nothing
Apr 12, 11 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Yay!!!  It finally worked.

Wait a minute...

BOLD

Apr 12, 11 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I'm curious,

What defines the order for the people profiles?
Apr 12, 11 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Hey dia - we're moving profiles that are well filled-out (and that we come across) to the front. There are no hard rules... just showing off profiles by people who put in some effort.

Apr 12, 11 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Better question is why are profiles found under employment. Awkward at best.

Apr 12, 11 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

You're so cute rusty!

Apr 12, 11 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Maybe cute, but I would have called Employment tab "Profession". That way Jobs, People, Firms makes sense in a non-job-fair kind of way.

Also, casual encounters need to go under the academia tab.
Apr 12, 11 7:34 pm  · 
 · 

rusty, what about missed connections?  "You: black turtleneck, chunky glasses, roll of drawings.  Me: underpaid, under-appreciated, but wearing a suit that says stone cold cool. Did you quiver when the contractor said stud pocket?  Because I sure did."

Sorry.  Carry on.  But I did finally use the search function to find the construction terms that sound dirty thread and it worked like a charm!
Apr 12, 11 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Donna, that was awesome. That should be a start to a new thread.

Apr 12, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Donna, that was awesome. That should be a start to a new thread.

Double post!  hmm, better make the most of it.

Anything muppets 4 life!

Apr 12, 11 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

I think "People" should be under "Community" - right?

Apr 12, 11 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!
I think "People" should be under "Community" - right?

You are the product, not the audience. And I don't mean to sound cynical at all. The site makes money on job adds., not discussion forums. As a prospective employer looking to take out an add, seeing all those shiny people profiles would be very enticing.

I just find the overall "employment" tab name a bit crude.

Apr 12, 11 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

OK, I miss the code tags for italics and bold text. Not only faster, but actually works.

Bald people

Italian people

Edit: it worked this time.

Apr 12, 11 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not a beta tester... so I don't know which e-mail I should e-mail bugs too.

But there's some noticeable problems with news posting that are almost entirely formatting related-- luckily, I can edit news articles after I've submitted them (for mostly minor grammatical issues).

On this article-- http://archinect.com/news/article/2669874/brains-before-beauty-top-architecture-graduate-crowned-miss-universe-phillipines

I've tried to embed a link three times now (to a video of her drawing on stage) with no change.

The preview on this article "RMJM: On the subject of Carribean castles and furloughs " doesn't like the second pound sign.

"Despite the firm receiving a £5,000,000 cash and a &pound..."

On this article: http://archinect.com/news/article/2591677/on-shaky-ground-california-watch-reports-systematic-failures-in-state-s-school-construction

The link on "lax construction" isn't the same as the others. I've tried removing the link and re-adding it with no suck luck.

On this article: http://archinect.com/news/article/2563991/did-anyone-know-it-s-the-aia-s-national-architecture-week

" So, are you going to do your part for National Architecture Week? Discuss it here on the forum. "

Appears tiny and medium gray. I actually like the tiny and gray font! It would be a great way to add in editor's and writer's commentary without necessarily mucking around in the body text.

I think the issues maybe with copy and pasting which seems to retain aspects of the fonts you copy -- but only from certain other websites. But the news doesn't have any "advanced formatting" options available to the user (at least a common user, not sure what the edtior's side looks like). Perhaps, some sort of user's manual or white paper can be written on what we can and can't do with formatting?

I don't know if you would qualify these as "real bugs." But a heads up to other users, if you don't want weird font surprises, copy and paste into a text editor before pasting directly onto the site!

Also, I've had problems with trying to use bullets on news articles. They either work with huge font or they don't show up at all with normal font.

Apr 12, 11 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

where's the Garwondler section?

Apr 12, 11 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

Evan - we are actually moving people and firms to community, and changing people and firms under employment to filtered versions called "job seekers" and "hiring firms", limited to people indicating they're looking for work and firms that are hiring.

Rusty - I recommend you keep your assumptions to yourself. Yes, some of our revenue is from job listings, but to insinuate that we consider Archinect members a product and not an audience is absurd. Your negativity and cynicism is entertaining to a point.

Apr 12, 11 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Oh Paul, way to get defensive. You run a business, not an orphanage. Lots of sound business decisions in the update. The comment on product vs. audience is oft used term in media when describing the likes of Google or Facebook. Not even mine. 

Now stop picking on me. It's only funny the other way around, you know.
Apr 12, 11 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

I have to say, I like my profile here more than my profile on Coroflot. Way to go!

Apr 13, 11 12:04 am  · 
 · 

It seems as if we need a "report spam" button...

Apr 13, 11 2:31 am  · 
 · 

I know the 'people' profiles are in beta - are you planning on letting people link their Twitter feeds to their Archinect status?

Apr 13, 11 8:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

ok - took me a while but i'm really liking the new layout and especially the front page.  My one gripe is that forum threads aren't quite as legible as they used to be - but overall really nice.

Apr 13, 11 10:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

also - why do we have to log into facebook to post comments on the school blogs?

Apr 13, 11 11:47 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

garwondler...

Apr 13, 11 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Hey Erin

- I like your profile more than Coroflot too. Seriously, though, your profile looks super nice!

Aaron - that is the plan (to be able to export your Archinect status to Twitter, not vice-versa, in order to keep Archinect status updates architecture-specific)

Toasteroven - the new Archinect blogging system is still under development, so the school blogs, in the mean time, are using the old Archinect system. We're not able to connect the old commenting system with Archinect's new commenting system, so we've implemented Facebook commenting to allow for some type of commenting in the blogs. The new blog platform will be really nice... much better than the old school blog platform. They will connect nicely to user's profiles and school profiles (if it's a school blog).

Apr 13, 11 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Medit
[endif][endif] /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Tabla normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} [endif]testing a small trick....

Underlined

Colors

Size

Now, I second Vado's request for a video button next to the image button — not for me, but for his very important and transcendental rock videos :)

Apr 13, 11 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Geez... what's that long string of tags?? I didn't type any of that...

Underlined

So if you want "special" features, you need to create a text with Word or any text editor and paste it here — Crtl+V... it seems that the forum supports the original format.
Apr 13, 11 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Medit, it seems your trick worked.

Archinect, I've noticed a few "return" issues.  I have figured out that in orded to get more than two paragraphs, I have to hit return 2 or 3 times.  Just now, I noticed that after the two paragraph minimum, I have to hit return twice just to get sentences on separate lines - I was writing a poem.  The formatting I do in the comment box looks nothing like what it ends up looking like once it's posted.

If needed, I can do a screen shot for you.  Let me know.
Apr 13, 11 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Medit - that code is imported from Microsoft Word, where you copied it to paste into the field. We're going to be completely changing the way these text fields work, across the site, to fix all the bugs and formatting issues. These changes will be coming shortly.

Apr 13, 11 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

copy and pasting formats from another document will not work once we fix these bugs. when the fixes are made, whatever style you see in the form when you're typing it out, will appear on the site the same way.

Apr 13, 11 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Ok, thanks
What about the videos? In v.2 it was already a little bit complicated but at least in the first post of every thread you could embed videos...

Apr 13, 11 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

We will also integrate a video embed code button, so you can embed youtube/vimeo

Apr 13, 11 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

I tried to post the code text from Medit's post above but it doesn't work.

Apr 13, 11 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

[if gte mso 9]>Normal0falsefalsefalseMicrosoftInternetExplorer4 [if gte mso 10]>

BLUE

Underline this

Big text

Pasting from Word sort of works except for the weird code.
Apr 13, 11 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

So if copy/paste will not work later, why not just add underline, color, and text size to the comments menu....or is that very difficult to do?  (it's so easy for us to suggest stuff....we don't have to actually do it).

Apr 13, 11 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
creativity expert

Pretty cool, 
   I do miss seeing the number of "views", because usually after I post something the views spike up.

Ps. Ive already said my first curse word on Archinect 3.0, "Oh Shit", so its official I've broken it in. Its on the Post your rejections thread.

Apr 13, 11 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
bellsxwhistles

hello
i am an architecture student in new zealand undertaking my thesis project in new york.  does anyone know where i can find a .dwg file of new york?

Apr 13, 11 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wonder if FLW has gotten any feedback regarding his resume.

Apr 13, 11 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

I love it but I wish we could filter out all the academia posts in the forum...

Apr 13, 11 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: