Archinect
anchor

Archinect 3.0

Thanks for all your feedback and encouragement!

Apr 13, 11 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
"The Co-op Guy"

I was just about to comment on the lack of the "go to bottom" button. Bring it back! Otherwise, very chic!

Apr 13, 11 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

So this is the Forum....thinking we might be in the Hollywood Bowl!  Took my ole brain a bit of work but yahoo....I be in the world of the living.

Apr 13, 11 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sipe12

Im a fan

Apr 14, 11 12:03 am  · 
 · 

Is anyone noticing the resurgence of News updates? Ahem.

Also, what's the policy on posting building projects? There's a certain wonderful piece of architecture (completed 2009) that's part of a resort that's generating a little buzz. However, I think a profile of the firm might be a little better because their work over the last few years is stellar.

Apr 14, 11 12:34 am  · 
 · 

Also, apostrophes don't work in the hover over captions.

Apr 14, 11 12:37 am  · 
 · 
worldla

like the new design - the array of information in one page is great.

although i don't like having to scroll past so many comments to place a comment.maybe place the comment box at the top of the comments. Anyway great designlove the monochrome text and use of story images.
Apr 14, 11 1:28 am  · 
 · 
How do I make my name show up with my picture and as a link, like Alexander up there?  I thought it was doing it for a couple of days but it's not now...
Apr 14, 11 1:58 am  · 
 · 
a mouse

congrats on the update, as has already been said it looks very 'now', and i like the front page in particular.

one thing that is bugging me a little is the font, and in particular the Bold font in the forums. is it just my screen resolution or is anyone else finding it a little straining on the eyes?

Apr 14, 11 3:19 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

Job search works clumsy as location search does not work. The pull down menu was much better before. There is no international search option anymore...

Apr 14, 11 3:21 am  · 
 · 
MacRoen

just noticed the autocomplete. works ok now but no international search possible.

Apr 14, 11 3:23 am  · 
 · 
bRink

i am surprised nobody has posted this issue, but i just tried posting with my iphone, can't seem to click in this space, the keypad doesn't pop up... is it just me?

is anybody else having issues posting with safari / iphone?

this would be a major thing for me, since basically i generally post on the bus or on a lunch break not at the computer...

Apr 14, 11 3:40 am  · 
 · 

it did come up, brink. but - at the moment - it's not operational. 

for a while in beta there was a work-around: you could push 'post comment' and then the text box would engage. but upon launch, that doesn't seem to work anymore. 
paul has said that there will be support for mobiles, but that it's just not here yet. 
Apr 14, 11 7:07 am  · 
 · 
Purpurina

“Go to the bottom button”…hehehehe, I never seen it…

I am still feeling like a dude which his lady go to a total make over plastic surgery and she comes back looking like that, hot, but still not the same person which he was in love for years…

Apr 14, 11 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Emily - to make your photo and profile link show up you need to edit your profile and select this:

a mouse - yes, we've heard that on a specific browser/platform configuration the bold fonts look horrible. it's in our bug list. will be fixed.

MacRoen - we're going to be bringing back a browse-by-region option to the Jobs section very soon, allowing the option to view by country or state.

bRink - yes, this has been mentioned a few times. will be fixed very soon, along with a lot of other bugs related to the formatting of text in the new text fields. I've already tested the new text fields and they work great in iOS devices.

Purpurina - another common request, solution coming soon (jump to last comment link from forum index). But, if you're on a mac, you can click command-down arrow to jump to bottom of the page.
Apr 14, 11 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Rusty!

One observation about the new layout: it may not be as work friendly as before. The black strip on the left is very iconic, and can be seen on your screen across a large office easily. 
I could be wrong, but between 9-6 forums were swarming with activity. Much more so than any other times. Not so much anymore.

Apr 14, 11 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oooh, Rusty, I never even thought about that!

Apr 14, 11 11:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

maybe Rusty's observation of fewer posts during working hours is a sign of a recovering economy?

Apr 14, 11 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

maybe so vado. But I've been repeatedly told (I wasn't around then) that archinect's peak when it came to quality of forum content came during the last construction peak (circa 05-08).
Never underestimate the need for an office water cooler, even if it's virtual. 

But I'll second the economy uptick. Even this guy's being flown in for an interview. I thought having your interview expenses covered was a relic of a bygone era.

Apr 14, 11 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
design_mutt

I have already emailed my complaint to archinect@gmail.com

Anybody having issues with the way job listings are posted?

In chronological order, so when you choose a location, it starts with January.

Latest first, oldest last.

Is that so hard?

Apr 14, 11 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

or maybe people are just sad.

Apr 14, 11 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Traffic has been much higher than average since the launch, including in the forum. It's typical when a site redesigns that there is a learning curve with the new interface, and, in our case, our stats show that people are spending a lot of time browsing the other areas of the site. This is likely the reason you're seeing less activity in the forum right now.

design_mutt - we're aware of the chronological reversal when looking at search results in the jobs section. this will be fixed soon. we will also be bringing back the ability to search/browse by state and country.

Apr 14, 11 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

way to fight the sad is spirits then beer. Never the other way around.
design_mutt, is it that hard to use a scroll wheel? geez... It's not like you're staring at a very long list anyways.

Apr 14, 11 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Archinect, That's a very valid point. Other parts of the site are very beautiful now. I find the news feed to be a huge improvement, and check it on daily basis now. So there's that.

Apr 14, 11 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio
But, if you're on a mac, you can click command-down arrow to jump to bottom of the page.

You can do the same thing on a PC by hitting the "End" button (extended keyboard).

Apr 14, 11 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

Small detail, but Is there any way to get all pages on a multi page (longer the 4) discussion to show up all at once, like on the last site?

Nevermind...just noticed the "Last" button.

Apr 14, 11 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
blah

I like the simplicity of it. Well done!

Apr 14, 11 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
burningman

1.Looks nicer and simpler but makes for more scrolling, thus much less reader friendly.
2. The home page looks more sophisticated.
3. The gray bar is too chunky.
4. The thumbs feature, as Kobe might put it, are for the double Fs. ("Not meant to offend")

Apr 14, 11 9:13 pm  · 
 · 
Bolding

and italicizing are no longer preserved in news article submissions. At least it doesn't work for me.

Edit: And it apparently doesn't work in this post either. Also, bolding the first word in a post seems to cause an irreversible carriage break. Like above. If you go back, edit the post and remove the bolding and the extra return... it still shows up.

Apr 15, 11 1:05 am  · 
 · 
Archinect

J. James - I'm happy to say that we'll be introducing a much improved text editor tomorrow. I'm actually using it right now in our dev environment. Not only does it fix the countless formatting problems that have be duly noted so far by many, it also works great on iOS devices. (I'm using it now - see the bold text in the beginning of this sentence?). BTW: nice on the news articles! Want to try out our new News bookmarklet?

Apr 15, 11 2:29 am  · 
 · 

Yes, yes. I would. I have gotten many New Year's resolutions done-- coincidentally, about two weeks ago I finally set up Google Alerts and I've send them to my phone. Which is nice if you have an outlet-- particularly one you don't have to maintain like Archinect *cough cough Twitter, tumblr cough*-- to share all that lovely information with!

P.S. I hate you for the bold jab. I spent 20 minutes earlier trying to fix a bold affair dealing with publication titles and obnoxious emphasis.

Apr 15, 11 3:10 am  · 
 · 
design_mutt

Rusty-

Maybe your browser can scroll though multiple pages. Mine can't. There are around 15 pages going back to January, and only four show at the bottom of the page.

Maybe you should review before commenting, smart ass.

Apr 15, 11 10:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

commenting doesn't seem to be working in iOS 3.

Apr 15, 11 10:29 am  · 
 · 

toasteroven - you're right, it doesn't now, but it will as soon as we implement the new text editor, later today.

Apr 15, 11 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

one thing that would be nice is if you clicked on 'Last comment' it took you to the last comment. when you hover your mouse over both 'started by' and 'last comment' they are clickable but both to the start.

Apr 15, 11 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

speaking of logo, the russian flag is gone from the tab icon and replaced with the A. Looks much better!

Apr 15, 11 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

This is the issue I have on one of my monitors.

Apr 15, 11 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

ah, nice favicon!
B&w has a certain old rationalist feel—a la Gropius or Lubetkin, mixed with some 80's tv series typography... it's strange but convincing (the big-A logo on the magic home button in the left menu has a dark grey circle that is almost invisible though... maybe a couple of extra points of lightness w/ Photoshop would help, a grey # like the background of the Forum and Work Updates buttons)

Apr 15, 11 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

rusty! - that's what happens when you use the zoom feature in your browser. try zooming out.

Apr 15, 11 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

I know it's zoomed in. Do think of your users that may be hard of seeing. In any case, the site is still usable when zoomed in, it just looks wonky.

Apr 15, 11 7:04 pm  · 
 · 

we're experimenting in html deconstructionism

Apr 15, 11 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

is not that overlapping more of a problem of CSS automatic deconstructivism?

Apr 15, 11 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

the text entry form doesn't work at all from an IPad. also the Ocean Pacific slash at the top of the page keeps scaring me that I've got a tiny crack in my screen.
Any chance we could separate out student and applicant concerns from academia? Or just make a faculty concerns section or something like that. I agree with a separate forum for them as well.

Apr 15, 11 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

No more click, scroll, click, scroll, just to get to the last comment...

http://screencast.com/t/3F8OvMtn

Coming very soon...

Apr 15, 11 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

Where's my news bookmarklet?!

Apr 16, 11 12:14 am  · 
 · 

J. James - send me an email - my first name at archinect.com

Apr 16, 11 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
elinor

is there a reason why the threads don't go from most recent to oldest post?  

Apr 16, 11 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

Paragraph formatting still inconsistent, and the edit function seems to not be working at the moment?
I know, you guys are trying to get it all fine tuned.  Good luck!

Apr 16, 11 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Comment editing was unavailable for about 12 hours. It has been resumed now.

Apr 17, 11 5:31 am  · 
 · 

i'm having a blast uploading images! everything works really well on that front.

(now that i've upgraded from ie8....)

Apr 17, 11 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: