Archinect
anchor

Year End Bonuses

sameolddoctor

Are you getting a Bonus for 2018? How much? Plz speak up!

I'll go first : We are getting a big fat Zero.

Dec 14, 18 6:34 pm
Gloominati

$5000 bonus,12.5% raise.  That's just about the same as last year, but the year before that I got nothing.

Dec 14, 18 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

12.5% raises 2 years in a row = 26.6% increase in salary. That's pretty good without jumping ship to a new firm. Did it come with some promotion in responsibilities? Were you drastically underpaid 2 years ago?

Dec 17, 18 11:39 am  · 
1  · 
Gloominati

i wasn't underpaid before, and my role hasn't changed much. I think it's just an issue of the firm having a couple good years and trying to make up for a bad year before that (in which those of us who weren't laid off were lucky).

Dec 17, 18 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
caramelhighrise

After several rounds of performance reviews and being praised for my "excellent" work, my raise ended up being about 1/5 of what I asked for (and lower than last year). And a promotion accompanied by a half-assed apology for not being promoted the last two years because my boss couldn't remember how long I've worked for him. But I suppose I should be excited I finally have a title to go with the duties I've had for the last two years.

Dec 20, 20 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Firm did well this year and thanks to the tax cuts they’re bringing back 401K matching. Everyone received their yearly bonuses so a Merry Christmas for all

Dec 14, 18 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Oh we got a 4-5% raise in the firm, but yeah, no bonuses.

Dec 14, 18 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

%4ish raise at the end of October, expecting the typical xmas bonus next week.  Was not happy with raise tho and will revisit the subject in the new year.  Too many office politics atm with 2 founding partners looking at retirement within a year (or 2).

Dec 14, 18 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

A bonus!? What’s that? No bonuses at the gig I’m currently at. Ever! I’m actually getting screwed as I found out what some of my coworkers are making in comparison to me... and I’m licensed and they are not. So scratch me in for a big fat zero. Previous job used to hand out 3k for Christmas and 3k around 4th of July week. I had to move near the GTA region and I took a big hit going to this current job salary wise. Salary has be stagnant for a long while... I finally did get a raise this year which equated to less than 50 cents a year since I started. Yes you heard me right. Plus they told me I am lucky to have a job with them. I’ve never felt like a useless piece of shit in a toilet bowl ready to be flushed down in my life. My confidence is at an all time low and have been pretty depressed about life in general and the architecture profession. 

Dec 14, 18 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

:( now is the time to find a new gig! New year, new job, new life!

Dec 15, 18 9:32 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I had to check the date on this comment because if a firm is stating that you are lucky to have a job in this market, you ought to go somewhere else. We've been swamped for past 7 years and we've been struggling finding people. And I truly believe we are paying staff some good money. Perhaps it's not the "best" projects, but it's projects.

Dec 16, 18 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Wow, look for something else, and do it quickly. Instead of blowing off steam on archinect update your CV and portfolio and start sending out applications asap, maybe Kanye is still hiring.

Dec 17, 18 5:50 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Since I'm a contractor for a few different places I don't think I get bonuses. I guess it could happen. I don't expect anything though. 

Dec 15, 18 9:33 am  · 
 · 
poop876

We paid all of our employees (12) 4k bonus before tax this past weekend and 10% increase staring next year. Perhaps some deserved it more than others, but I thought we should reward them all. 

Dec 16, 18 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Wow that’s awesome! Happy to see that some employers take care of their employees.

Dec 16, 18 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

One nifty trick to use in order to minimize bonuses given to employees is to not talk about profitability but instead talk about meeting goals. 

Set unrealistic goals, don't meet them. Another tough year. No bonus!

Dec 17, 18 10:31 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

We typically get bonuses a few times a year (4k before taxes for my level) but no raises.  Raises only come every other year or every few years, but they typically make up for the salary discrepancy with 3-4 bonuses per year sprinkled around.

Dec 17, 18 10:42 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

you mean tips?

Dec 17, 18 11:18 am  · 
 · 
tduds

19% cash + 10% 401k match.

Employee ownership has its perks. Only a 3.5% cost of living raise this year, but I'm expecting a promotion in 2019 so I'm hopeful...

Dec 17, 18 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
molten

$6500 bonus; 8.5% raise.

I hope the current gravy train makes it to 2020. 

Dec 17, 18 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

$3500 bonus; 28% raise with caveat... it was a 12% raise but two separate job offers landed in my lap and my current firm matched.  Remember folks, when those head hunters call, be nice and don't be dismissive.  

The firm is currently throwing higher tier and way more work at me to make it up, and so far I'm swimming.  

Dec 18, 18 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Yes, but now you have a bar sinister running across your escutcheon for entertaining other offers.

Dec 19, 18 10:28 am  · 
 · 
whistler

I am handing out 10 - 12 % bonuses ....... translates to about $7,000.00 to $8,000.00 for most. ( small office )

Dec 18, 18 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

$2000....  :/  Not even half a paycheck.

Dec 18, 18 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

I'm inclined to say that an employer shouldn't even bother with a bonus if it isn't more than your regular paycheck ... but I'll take anything they give me. I'm also the type of person that would rather not get a bonus, if it meant that instead I receive a larger regular paycheck.

Dec 18, 18 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

typical annual $1k over here. I’ve got colleagues who get more but don’t have their overtime paid out.., which I do, so considering that, happy for any bonus.  It’ll cover my daycare costs for the month.

Dec 18, 18 7:17 pm  · 
 · 

I got ~20% raise plus an $8k bonus earlier this year (end of our fiscal year). We don't get anything for end of calendar year.

Off topic, but I'm finally getting closer to where I think I should be salary-wise. Also thinking about quitting to make a move somewhere else. I'm happy with the workload, project types, my role, and generally the people I work with ... just tired of certain coworkers that refuse to learn from past mistakes, some passive aggressiveness from leadership, and a lack of specific support from leadership. I doubt it is better anywhere else I'd end up, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming about greener pastures.

Dec 18, 18 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If I were to write a paragraph like yours... it would be identical (minus the part about the raise and bonus). Which means, it's the same everywhere. 8-)

Dec 18, 18 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Mine would be similar... except add that the principals are disconnected from the staff and where are actual challenges are. Hence the passive/aggressive since they just see something went amiss but didn't bother even talking to staff about the chain of events creating the issues.

Dec 19, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Yeah, I'm fully aware most of that isn't going to be better elsewhere. The thing that really has me contemplating a move is the lack of specific support from leaders.

Dec 19, 18 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

This entire bonus culture is just to not have to pay a decent base salary and have people slave to get what they should have gotten in the first place. It brings competitiveness and greed into a job that should be about collaboration. You basically pay for your own bonus or your bonus comes from your colleague not getting theirs.

Dec 19, 18 2:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Communist!

Dec 19, 18 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

cOMPETITIVNESS AND GREED IS WHAT MAKES THIS COUNTRY GREAT!

Dec 19, 18 7:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Dec 19, 18 8:13 am  · 
 · 
randomised

?

Dec 19, 18 9:45 am  · 
 · 
molten

@randomised I agree. I basically told my employer I was willing to forgo a bonus if it means I get a higher base salary. They said no because "people like getting fat checks at the end of the year/we don't want to change our firm culture".

Dec 19, 18 9:57 am  · 
 · 
tduds

How does it bring competitiveness and greed?

Dec 19, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Because helping your coworkers means increasing their chances of getting that fat bonus and decreasing yours. It leads to people not wanting to share their knowledge/expertise or even trying to sabotage each other just to stay ahead. It turns your coworkers in competitors for that bonus while you should be working as a team towards common/shared goals, in my opinion at least.

Dec 19, 18 11:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Great pick-up there Rando.

Dec 19, 18 11:43 am  · 
 · 
tduds

That's a terrible way to structure bonuses. Every place I've worked where bonuses have been offered they've been proportioned by seniority / tenure (an objective measure) and not "performance" (a bullshit measure). 

A year-end bonus should be about sharing profits, not selectively rewarding some sense of individual achievement (especially in this industry where such a thing doesn't exist). 

Dec 19, 18 11:56 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Just because something is implemented badly (although, I've yet to see an example in my personal experience of this implementation) doesn't mean the thing itself is bad.

Dec 19, 18 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

Working with and helping colleagues is part of how our bonuses are determined because a firm should work together.

Dec 19, 18 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Our bonuses definitely work more the way tduds describes than what randomised describes. I'm sure there is some discretion in giving someone a slightly smaller or larger bonus based on their individual effort, but it's a team effort across the entire firm. If the firm does poorly, everybody's bonus suffers ... conversely, everybody benefits if the firm makes a good profit.

Dec 19, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I vote for better pay AND better bonuses. Whats wrong with that?

Dec 19, 18 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

When people rely on a bonus, it's a necessity and it means regular pay is off. It's like waitresses depending on tips to make a decent pay because their salary is too low, I'm with Mr. Pink on this one. Sure, you do a good job so you can get your bonus...it's simply your job to do a good job in my opinion. And doing a good job should be paid accordingly obviously. Bonus culture is what basically lead to the last global economic crisis. And also, places that offer bonuses, in general offer lower salaries AND try to do more work with less people on staff. Making the staff that is there work harder by dangling that potential bonus in front of them, putting in those extra hours, working harder and harder, don't want to miss out on that bonus, management is laughing all the way to the bank...

Dec 20, 18 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I said that I vote for Better Salary AND Better Bonus, randomised. Which part of that wasnt clear?

Dec 21, 18 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Maybe my experience is unique but none of what randomised said up there matches with my experience.

Dec 21, 18 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Sameold, you were very clear and so is tduds. I just think it's kind of funny/ironic...just do an archinect search about the low pay within the field/profession and then take a look at bonus culture. Or is complaining about low pay reserved for after the holiday season when that short lived bonusbizzz wore off?

Dec 21, 18 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

*bonus buzz

Dec 21, 18 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

I don't "rely" on the bonus, but I do appreciate it. 

Further, if my bonus were simply distributed into my paycheck throughout the year, it wouldn't overcome the chronic underpayment of the industry overall (which, frankly, is based more in the fee's we're able to command more than the wages owners decide to pay, and a result of the larger global economic culture more than the internal industry culture)

Like sameold said: better pay AND bonuses.

Jan 2, 19 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
newguy

Remember, comrades:  A bonus is just a small portion of the surplus profit you earned throughout the year for the company from your labor that they withheld from your salary.

Jan 3, 19 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
joseffischer

Newguy gets it

Jan 17, 20 9:30 am  · 
 · 
joseffischer

It stings more when you realize the people collecting profit sharing as owners still also get a bonus out of the employee pool/piece of the pie, AND that bonus is bigger because of their seniority! It's like, how many ways can we split the profit. I'm reminded of a cartoon skit as follows:

1 for you, 1 for me
2 for you, 1 and 2 for me
3 for you, 1, 2, and 3 for me

Jan 17, 20 9:32 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I might jinx it, but I think I might find out today. Typically we get anywhere from 1 to 2 paychecks. This year we might not get anything, with the excuse that the office underwent about $1M in renovations (which was needed and I appreciate, but shouldn't be coming out of my bonus). 

Wish me luck

Dec 19, 18 8:33 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

...and?

Dec 19, 18 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Big fat fucking zero. Which is totally unusual as I say. Combined with the entire office not receiving any raises this year, despite a very stressful and successful year, I'm not overly impressed.

Dec 19, 18 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hey, no fat-shaming allowed.

Dec 19, 18 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Oh crap, maybe stressful and successful year in terms of projects, but not billing?

Dec 19, 18 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Maybe a bit of both. I'm sure billables were fine, but we bought and renovated a new building so we had those bills. I'm sure the owners didn't take it from their incomes. It's not really my business, I'm just bummed out.

Dec 19, 18 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

Yeah, you've got to do some crazy amount of work to make up $1M in renovations from profit alone... we do like $20-25M in revenue, I don't think we've topped more than $3M in profit and on bad years, that $1M would put us in the red for the year.

Jan 17, 20 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

No bonus here, the boss is a jerk. Also the boss is me.

Dec 19, 18 2:49 pm  · 
 · 

You should take that up with HR

Dec 19, 18 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Oh I have, and he's not happy either. It's a sh!t show over here.

Dec 19, 18 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

hmm. trying to parse this out. the employee and HR are upset with the boss. is the boss upset with the employee and HR, or is he just rolling in the benjamins while the alternate personalities fight it out?

Dec 20, 18 1:32 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Where does the wife figure in? I usually consider her my boss

Dec 20, 18 9:44 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Too bad it isn't a family firm. My threat was always "I'm not making enough and will have to move back home with you..." /payraise incoming :P Unfortunately, it worked in reverse when I took the reins and my parents became employees....

Dec 20, 18 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

@curtkram, this year the boss didn’t make any money, so he’s justifiably upset. But he’s the one who decided to start a new business venture that failed rather spectacularly, and is just taking it out on his steadfast employees.

@shellarchitect, she has been supportive but would have preferred some extra money. We are equals, and she has her own small business to run. (If anyone is looking for last-minute Christmas gifts, it’s too late, but you can get New Years’ gifts here: https://www.ridgepondherbals.com/. Hand-crafted, with many ingredients grown on our farm.)

@mightyaa, your family firm comment is funny--the thing is that what really screwed things up for me was the construction business I started with my brother earlier this year, formally dissolved a few days ago. If anyone can figure out how to work with family members, I am in awe. (And debt.) Fortunately things are looking up—I’m booking design work into summer 2019, with some great projects (net-zero modern farmhouses) and have also started a construction business on my own which is doing well so far.

Dec 21, 18 8:42 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

net-zero farmhouse actually sounds like a lot of fun. good luck!

Dec 21, 18 11:34 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Current firm usually gives out a couple hundred at the end of the year, didn't even notice it the first year

Dec 19, 18 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

My very first ever year end bonus was a whopping $50. They probably spent more than $50 on the overhead to first decide how much to give me, get the bookkeeper to issue the check, stick it in an envelope, package it with the others for our office, overnight it to the office, and have the principal hand it to me during an associated year-end performance review.

Dec 19, 18 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can beat that. I got a single digit check once.

Dec 19, 18 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^ I would have saved the check as a reminder.

Dec 20, 18 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I won't ever forget. The lesson was actually invaluable.

Dec 20, 18 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Was the lesson to be more competitive and greedy?

Dec 20, 18 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I guess you could say that. I don't know. The bonuses were figured on profit. I was on unprofitable (difficult) projects. I happened to spend a few random hours on a highly profitable job, thus the single digit check. Bread and butter makes money. Complex and custom doesn't.

Dec 20, 18 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I hope you're not still at that firm. You shouldn't be penalized because the project was complex, if the unprofitability wasn't because of what you personally did. Management is supposed to control jobs and structure fees to cover costs plus profit. Client and project selection is their responsibility. Basing the bonuses on individual projects incentivizes people to avoid anything difficult. Dumb.

Dec 20, 18 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I am not. Thanks.

Dec 20, 18 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

got $500 today, apparently had half of it go into my 401k, so a little over $200

Dec 21, 18 11:27 am  · 
 · 
starling
$15,000 bonus this year, up from the usual $10K since I got a promotion this year. A lot of that went to whittling down those pesky loans.
Dec 20, 18 12:11 am  · 
 · 
G4tor

Nothing. But then again, I did start my current job a month ago. So... I guess my 12% bump could be considered that. Otherwise, had i stayed at my previous firm, about 1k.

Dec 20, 18 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Was with my bosses at a dunch (drunk lunch) when one asked if I'd gotten job offers from other firms (which I have) and I answered honestly. He seemed to be caught a little off guard, so there might be room to negotiate in the new year, after all. 

On the other hand, I'm tempted to just show up for 90% of my work week as that's all I'm getting paid for anyway. Wish me luck.

Dec 21, 18 12:17 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Sounds like it’s tike to bounce. Congrats on the offers. New year, new gig

Dec 21, 18 2:38 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

We'll see. The other side of the coin is that in my day-to-day work, I'm treated quite well and I know from what I gather from my peers at other firms, I'm paid very well (even though it sometimes doesn't feel like it). So we'll see. I'm keeping my options open for 2019.

Dec 21, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal

$1000. Wasn’t expecting to get one. So win win.  It’s all about lowered expectations.

Jan 2, 19 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

$5k but that was the amount of unpaid overtime I did if I where paid straight hourly beyond 40 hrs a week (no time and a half).

Nov 6, 19 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

15.5k. Tis the season!

Dec 30, 19 9:37 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Zero again
Dec 30, 19 10:06 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

same

Dec 30, 19 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Funny reading my post from last year and seeing how it played out. I ended up leaving that last firm. New firm gave me a year-end bonus of a little more than 7% of my salary. Last firm also gave me a bonus at the end of their fiscal year (same as the year before). I also got a signing bonus with the new firm. Not bad. 

Dec 30, 19 11:09 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

Worked as a co-op student for the last 5 months of this year.  Got a $250 bonus.

Dec 30, 19 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Of the firms I've worked in, fewer than half gave any more than a token ($500 or so), a couple gave them only in exceptionally good years, and only two gave them every year. My current company is employee-owned, so whatever we don't get in bonuses should show up in the value of our ESOP shares.

Dec 30, 19 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

I got the same 5k bonus as in past recent years.  This year's bonus was 2%, which is much lower than in the past 2 years - I'm not sure what the reasons were this year or in the past.  

Dec 30, 19 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If 5K is 2%, you're makin' some bank.

Dec 30, 19 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

At a salary of $250k I too would be curious why I'm only getting $5k as a bonus ... see my previous comment about bonuses that are less than a typical paycheck ... lol. 

I'm assuming you meant to say that this year's raise was 2%? If not, can you let me know what you do, who you work for, and if they are hiring?

Dec 30, 19 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Sorry, typo. I got a 5k bonus, and yes, I got a 2% raise. In past recent years I have also gotten a 5k bonus, but a larger raise (around 12.5%). What I meant was I don't know the logic behind the large-ish raises of the past 2 years, and why this year's was cost-of-living at best.  

Dec 30, 19 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

No. I mean that this year's bonus was $5000. So was last year's, and so was the year before's. My raise was 2% of my current salary. Last year and the year before my raises were 12.5% of my salary in that year. My profit sharing for all of those years has been 3% of my salary.

Dec 31, 19 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Let's say my salary in 2017 was $100,000. My raise that year was $12,500, my profit sharing was $3000, and my bonus was $5000. In 2018 my raise was 14,062.50, my profit sharing was 3,375, and my bonus was $5000. In 2019 my raise was 2531.25, my profit sharing was $3796.88, and my bonus was $5000.

Dec 31, 19 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Kudos on adding the raise to the base salary for the subsequent year's calculations. I cringe when I see people get this wrong. This is why learning math is important people.

Dec 31, 19 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

fu - did you ask your boss? that's kind of the standard way to understand raises and performance. most likely your firm either had a poor year, or you've come close to the limit for your position and need to get a promotion to move beyond COL raises.

Jan 3, 20 10:13 am  · 
 · 
mtdew

5% bonus after 4 months at the new job. I'm satisfied.

Dec 30, 19 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

my 2019 bonus was 2.5 times more than my 2018 one. Yay. 

Dec 30, 19 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

0 * 2.5 = 0?

Jan 3, 20 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ Ha. It's a small but decent chunk of cash. OT is paid out to all staff so it's not a performance or hours worked basis. I get my first look at profit shares in 5 months from now. That one should be decent, likely low 5-figure range.

Jan 3, 20 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Profit share is where it's at (as long as your firm is profitable).

Jan 3, 20 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Nothing.

Dec 30, 19 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

A 5% bonus this year, which is in line with previous years (last year's goose egg notwithstanding). It's not a lot but it's not terrible either. Helps pay some bills over the holidays...

Dec 30, 19 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
athensarch

~$1k. Wish it were higher. I have former college classmates getting $5k/quarter. And their base is higher than mine.

Dec 31, 19 7:43 am  · 
 · 
poop876

I gave out bonuses equal to two paychecks! 

Dec 31, 19 8:45 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

Are your paychecks weekly, every 2 weeks, twice monthly, or monthly?

Dec 31, 19 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Bi-weekly

Jan 1, 20 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

My year end bonus: I’m still upright and taking solid food. Life is good!

Dec 31, 19 10:24 am  · 
 · 

If this was the point [ ] ... 

Rick is way down here missing it.

Dec 31, 19 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Are you looking at it from Pluto? Didn't think so. HNY

Jan 2, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, the answer is 42. Also, pluto is not a planet.

Jan 2, 20 11:51 am  · 
 · 

My sense of humor is just fine. Maybe if your jokes were funny ...

Jan 2, 20 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I like centaurs.

Jan 2, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 

Rick complains that IAU creates a definition for planets, and asks how we define what exactly a planet is in the same post. Um ... IAU creates those definitions buddy. 

What about Eris Rick? It has more mass than Pluto. Why don't people consider it a planet like they do with Pluto? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_planet#/media/File:Masses_of_the_dwarf_planets.png

Jan 2, 20 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, Pluto is not a planet. Give it a rest.

I don't think you understand point 3.

Jan 2, 20 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, there are many people much smarter than you (and I) who have a better grasp of the definition. I get that it's nearly impossible for you to understand but they do, and the current international scientific consensus is well established on this subject. The only "debate" in this area is by dumb Americans who have a childish attachement to Pluto.

Jan 2, 20 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

NS, well said. 

Rick, you're simultaneously stuck in the past and trying to foresee the future. If the basis of your complaint is that these things didn't use to be called dwarf planets ... well, welcome to 2020. And if the basis of your complaint is that the definition could be improved ... well, you're welcome to submit your reasons to the international community and try to change it. Science changes all the time. What we knew in the past has evolved and consequently so do the definitions and meanings of words. What we will know in the future is not yet known so can't really be used as the basis to claim that the current definition is flawed. Also, you really don't understand the 'clearing the neighborhood' thing.

Jan 2, 20 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Pasting a wiki link does not show you understand the subject.

Jan 2, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 

Pasting a quote from the wiki link also does not show you understand the subject.

Jan 2, 20 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

According to the IAU, a "dwarf planet" is not a "planet." Semantically, you need to understand that in this case "dwarf" is not being used as an adjective to the noun "planet." Rather "dwarf planet" is a compound noun.

Jan 2, 20 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Are you studying for those exams yet? Seems like a better use of time than arguing with strangers on the internet about the classifications of planets?

Jan 2, 20 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, as I stated already, IAU is not using “dwarf” as an adjective to the noun “planet.” They are using “dwarf planet” as a two-word compound noun that, in this context, cannot be broken down into separate words to mean what it is you are trying to make it mean. Given your lack of rigor when it comes to grammar, I don’t expect you to understand this. Take Bench’s advice and spend your time studying for your exams.

Jan 2, 20 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Guinea pigs are neither pigs nor from Guinea. Jelly beans, peanuts, spreadsheets, and shuttlecocks are among the thousands of other things that *most* people understand are not named literally. Ancient Greek word roots aren't good foundations for arguments in the present.

Jan 2, 20 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry Rick, but language evolves. When the IAU made the definitions for "planet" and "dwarf planet" they explicitly did so to make dwarf planets not planets. It's a mess linguistically (and maybe even astronomically), but it's the best we have at the moment. Again, if you'd like to take it up with the IAU, feel free to do so on some other forum.

Edit to add something in terms you apparently understand: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definition_of_planet#Semantics

Jan 2, 20 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

What happened to your promise to take your diversions to new threads, rather than derail the originals? Make a "Pluto is a Planet" thread for anyone who wants to argue this with you.

Jan 2, 20 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

0.6 % bonus. 

Dec 31, 19 11:13 am  · 
 · 

Just transferred jobs in July, so my bonus was big 0. Which is understandable. But coming from a job where i got 6,000 bonus and 50% raise over the year. It really stung.

Also i asked around and the bonus here are not even a full check, somewhere around 250 bucks for some who have worked for 2 years here, and raise is not even 2% to keep up with inflation. I made more in my bonus and raise while in school as intern first 2 years lol.

happy holidays everyone.

Dec 31, 19 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

How little were you making that you got a 50% raise in a year?

Dec 31, 19 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What's 50% of $0 when you're working as free labour?

Jan 2, 20 11:53 am  · 
 · 

When they start throwing raises like that at a person, it just confirms that they've been drastically underpaying them. I'm thinking it was something like $12/hr up to $18/hr. Make it rain!!!

Jan 2, 20 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
I get quarterly bonuses/profit sharing. It’s about a months salary before taxes.
Jan 1, 20 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I got a gift card to Canadian Tire......

Jan 2, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Hey, a new set of tires for the Canadian winter is nothing to scoff at.

Jan 2, 20 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It should have been in canadian tire paper money... in 5cent bills.

Image result for canadian tire paper money

Jan 2, 20 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

there is an app for that now

Jan 2, 20 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I think I went to school with that guy/\

Jan 3, 20 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

For me I'm paid for the overtime I've done as a bonus.  I only did 120 hours of OT this year so the  bonus was OK.

Jan 2, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Getting paid for the work you did and legally should be paid for does not count as bonus.

Jan 2, 20 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Hear, hear! Though the issue in that statement is the word "legally." Exempt employment in the US doesn't legally require compensation for OT. Take out the word "legally."

Jan 2, 20 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I'm not talking about exempt positions, but if an employee is getting paid for overtime, that time should be paid time and a half!

Jan 2, 20 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

I guess my point is that you should be getting paid for all your work regardless of employment status. Exempt employees are not (usually) getting paid for hours they work beyond 40/week. I'm assuming Chad is exempt and his "bonus" is that the employer is paying him for this OT that they are not legally required to pay him for. If Chad is non-exempt then the employer would already be required to pay for the OT and it could not be considered a bonus. I agree with you on the time and half thing.

Jan 2, 20 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

You are correct EA. In Colorado if you have a professional degree and oversee anyone's work you an exempt from being paid overtime. I think that due to the labor laws in Colorado it's common for firms to operate like this. Some even go so far as to say an intern is exempt from overtime.

Jan 2, 20 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I feel like making it mandatory to pay for all hours worked would be a much more effective way to reduce income inequality than tax grabs.

Jan 2, 20 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

I agree. I find the view of 'well it's a bonus because I didn't HAVE to pay you by law' bullshit. In my opinion the idea of a bonus is to signify the firm thinks you've done such a good job they are willing to share profits with you.

Jan 3, 20 9:56 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Cash bonus was a little less than last year, but shareholder dividend more than made up the difference.

I was able to pay off the wedding debt, so that's a nice way to begin 2020.

Jan 3, 20 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Wedding debt? That is the dumbest shit ever!

Jan 3, 20 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

While balkins is pretending to build decks some have huge careers, businesses, family and kids! You still live with your parents dude and spend your time on discussion boards.

Jan 3, 20 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Holy shit!

Jan 3, 20 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Again: Rick you promised that if you were going to go on these all-about-Rick rants you would make your own threads to do it. It doesn't matter who started it or why: just take it to a dedicated all-about-Rick thread.

Jan 3, 20 11:26 pm  · 
 · 

^ Does Rick have the ability to make new threads? I've told him twice before to make a thread called "Uncle Ricky's Data Upload to get your Mind Blown" where he can post all he wants to give his advice and knowledge in one place where it would be most helpful. For a while he was trying to post disclaimers but if he kept everything in the "Uncle Ricky's Data Upload to get your Mind Blown" thread, he could have one disclaimer at the top to cover everything contained within it. Seems like a win win for everyone, most of all Rick.

Jan 6, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Car Debt is the dumbest shit ever. My wedding was a blast.

Jan 6, 20 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Weddings are fun! My better half is good with money and we paid for our wedding in cash. It helps if you hold the wedding in a state with no sales tax. :)

Jan 6, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We put the entire reception bill on credit-card, then paid it off in cash immediately. Collected travel points, got free honeymoon plane tickets.

Jan 6, 20 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Non, hilarious....that is exactly how we did it as well. I think we still have some points to the Hyatt.

Jan 6, 20 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

We did the same.

Jan 6, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

"the only wedding that poops will have is with the flies that circles poops." I missed this earlier. This is objectively Rick's funniest post.

Jan 15, 20 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

I still think the one he had about suspended lights that looked like boobs in TC (back when he could post in TC) is his funniest post. You can see a reconstruction of it here in my SEP 2, 16 2:28 PM post.

Jan 15, 20 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

lol I'd forgotten about that thread. Good stuff.

Jan 15, 20 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

EI, we need that tread permanently on the top of the forum. So good.

Jan 15, 20 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

There is plenty of material out there to keep it going. Feel free to resurrect it. Distilling the dwarf planet thing above would be a good one to add.

Jan 15, 20 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

record profits = you paid less

Jan 14, 20 11:30 pm  · 
1  · 
Chad Miller

Is that like the underpants gnomes from South Park?

Phase one, steal underpants.

Phase two, ?????

Phase three, BIG PROFITS! 

Jan 15, 20 10:19 am  · 
 · 
Deborahbeck

for the last 7 years got$15,000 Xmas bonus. This year we worked all through covid we are essential. The company made more money then they ever have. I worked a lot of unpaid overtime as I am salary. They are not giving us any bonuses this year. They said working through covid was our bonus. I am crushed

Dec 14, 20 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

$15k, i need better shoes.

Dec 14, 20 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I'd start polishing my resume.

Dec 14, 20 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

$15K - dang.

Dec 14, 20 4:22 pm  · 
1  · 
molten

OP, I'm in the same boat as you where the my actually made more money than in 2019. They gave out bonuses this year though, which I don't think anyone was expecting. I guess they are worried about 2021.

Dec 14, 20 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
molten

where my firm*

Dec 14, 20 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

No "bonus" this year, but we're getting retro pay to offset the salary cuts we took in July (to avoid layoffs when we were bleeding money). It's a nice gesture, and everybody still has a job!

Dec 14, 20 2:59 pm  · 
3  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I've never expected, or anticipated a bonus, I can never see it as something owed, so I never plan on getting one, but if I was used to getting $15k a year, I think I'd be pissed too.

Dec 14, 20 3:16 pm  · 
1  · 

I wasn't expecting anything this year. We've been postponing our usual COL salary increase most of the year anyway, so bonuses seem too far gone to even worry about them. Turns out about a dozen coworkers are getting laid off or taking huge pay cuts with associated decreases in hours.

So I'm just happy to still have my job. I've also made mental note of which firms are still advertising for long-standing open positions I could take in a pinch (some were disappointed I didn't apply for those positions a couple years ago so I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from me). I'm not that worried about my position as I have really good job security, but it never hurts to think about the "what if" scenarios. 

Dec 14, 20 4:07 pm  · 
1  · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

I was burned in 2008, one week after the election, so I've learned never to trust comfort. One reason I do other things, and have started planning develop design build to move out of this cycle of hell.

Dec 14, 20 4:26 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: