Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

^ The one thing I agree with is end our wars and quit starting new ones. That is the simple, obvious cause of terrorism and no-brainer solution for ending it. Of course overcoming the profit machine that drives all this crap is the real problem.

How To End Terrorism In A Single Day

Jun 11, 13 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
rationalist

Donna, I'm with you on that—it's just one more thing in a long and storied history of such things. I'm so numb from all of them that it almost doesn't register anymore.

Jun 11, 13 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Don't  just love jobs where you are shovel ready and your back into a redesign.  We are ten days away from pouring foundations and all of a sudden someone,  "Has a Better Idea/"

This one came out of  far  right  field...

Last night I worked till midnight and my first  field meeting was at  7:30 where no one showed up so set it up for 10:00 to hammer out some  grade issues due to a screwy  site survey with wrong elevations.Then off to another 12:00  meeting which evolved  into a 1:30 meeting.  Then off to the "Better Idea" meeting at 4:00.  So I was tired but engaged.  Then as they say the "Shit Hit the Fan"....damn the life of an  Architect can be frustrating.

Carry on!

Jun 11, 13 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

@snooker, that sounds like a long day...

as for the NSA/PRISM stuff, it is Orwellian i feel but not surprising. I do think some of the partisan(y) complaints (coming for example from various pro-Patriot Act Republican supporters) smells a bit of opportunistic schadenfreude.

Jun 11, 13 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Are there any architects who are primarily interested in being bon vivants and who aren't into politics?  Architecture is a way to fund, albeit not very well, interests such as traveling and eating.

Jun 11, 13 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

close GITMO, try the prisoners here, or send them back to their country. yeah, the opportunism is all over the place on this one. under bush, most liberals; OUTRAGE, conservatives; KEEP US SAFE, now, flip the switch. i've not budged since it happened; get rid of the Patriot Act now, get rid of it forever. i'll take my chances with the terrorists.

Jun 11, 13 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

^ You already are. The real terrorists are the ones using economics and war for personal gain.  

Jun 12, 13 8:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

sure observant.  you must have missed all of the bourbon discussions.

mostly architects can't really afford the bon vivant lifestyle.  i drink pbr and eat bread because i don't get paid shit.  i make my own bread though, because i can and it doesn't cost much.  i tried beer, but ultimately making your own beer ends up costing more.

i might try making moonshine one of these days.  it's actually a pretty small step plus a little gardening to go from moonshine to absinthe.

you know what's affordable?  news.  if you like learning new things, there is a constantly changing world just waiting to be explored.  and if you can't travel, because you don't get paid shit, you can read about the world :)

Jun 12, 13 9:12 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Ya they  got into my house last night when I was sleeping and made my oven controls go wacky....Their was this  strange beeping  in the middle of the night woke me out of a deep sleep and well of course I had to figure out where it was coming from.  By the time I got there it had stopped.  So back to bed and no more than two minutes later...beep..beep........................beep beep beep.  So up again to go check it out and nothing. So this morning it starts again just when I'm  finishing breakfast.  So that is when I finally figure out it is the stove.  Seems like the  Computer board has problems.   So no terrorist other than those guys over at Jenn-air.  Figure it is time for a new stove this one has been nothing but a hunk of junk since the day we bought it. 

Jun 12, 13 9:24 am  · 
 · 
lauralich

@observant

I love traveling.

Jun 12, 13 9:28 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i didn't know stoves had computer boards.  back in my day, we could build fire with a gas range and a lighter.  didn't need any fancy electronics.  anyway, that sounds like it would really suck after all of the 'better idea' meetings.

'better ideas' are never better if you're not alert and have the time and the metal agility to think through the better idea to it's conclusion and understand the ramifications that better idea will have on other systems.  there comes a point where people with better ideas really need to be told to sit down and shut up.  that's just my opinion.

Jun 12, 13 9:40 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I like food and travel, but I'm not going to randomly volunteer this info because I'd sound like a much bigger pretentious asshat than I already do.

instead I'll make a joke about how I enjoy food while traveling - mostly my daily glazed donut breakfast sandwich that I totally cookie monster while hovering over someone seated on the subway.  On the way home I eat an egg salad and kippered herring sandwich with extra mustard.  I know everyone's jealous when I see that look on their faces when I bust that badboy out - especially when the AC isn't working on a hot day and the car is completely jam-packed.

Jun 12, 13 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Curt - yeah, no bourbon for me, couldn't even tell you what it tastes like.  And, for liquor that finds its way into a cake, it's fairly drowned out.

I thought you were on the management mucky-muck track at a nicer corporate firm in KC, so they pay you ok.

As for the traveling, it's all trade-offs.  In a big way.  For me, you run a car into the ground (last one ~ 300,000 miles, or 500,000 kms), eat store brand oatmeal in the a.m., Subway for lunch, not into latest gizmos, no alcohol purchases, coupons for fast food, haircuts, and repair specials at a dealership I like (the more "such a deal," the better), fine dining when someone else pays for it, no pets right now (unfortunately) and no kids (bah hambug).

Also, I've put all my domestic flights, plus all hotels, rental cars, and all that into frequent flyer programs.  Last 5 visits to Europe were on redeemed award tickets, as was 1 of my 2 visits to South America's Southern Cone.  Also, when in these places, I look for the bargains - specials at brand name hotels, eat at popular holes in the wall for locals, and get the econobox car to put around in.  Domestically, road trips, cheaper chain hotels, and chain coffee shops or local dives will do the trick.

That said, I know some architects who put travel above all else, and they are not rich.  They just prioritize that.  And they are usually kindred souls.

Jun 12, 13 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

look, i'm not saying anything here.  i'm just saying.  maybe this is something to look at.

http://m.now.msn.com/smarter-people-drink-more-study-says

Jun 12, 13 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Drinking is largely a social ritual which is "smart" from the standpoint of conforming to what is expected of a certain milieu.  Even in the country's with the highest per capita consumption of wine, being Italy and Greece from what I know, and where alcoholism is less of an issue than in northern Europe, you would definitely have a glass of wine at a social or business event.  I will not buy into the fact that drinking and intelligence are positively correlated.  And this wasn't meant to be a pissing contest.  I'm just joking.  However, I do resent the pressure to drink, either in college or socially at a happy hour, because that's not how I choose to spend my money and because I don't like the taste of anything they serve up, except for the food specials.  Ordering a Coke does not meet with reference group approval.  BTDT.

Jun 12, 13 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

to all of those Cranbrook Academy of Arts alums, R.I.P. Niels Diffrient.

Humanscale, sounds like a book i should have been aware before. with even my minimal awareness of ergonomics...

worked an almost 14 hrs day today. then had a martini and some takeout.

also, anyone heard  from Rusty lately? haven't seen him or a number of regulars recently (david, tumbles, wonder, holz.box etc). though i haven't been around as much either.

Jun 12, 13 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

wtf - people bug you because you're giving them lame excuses for not drinking (oh - I'll buy and you'll like the taste of this) - just say you don't drink because you don't drink and they can fuck off if they ask why.  they're the ones who feel bad drinking in front of someone who isn't - which is why you're being offered - you self-righteous twat.

Jun 12, 13 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
observant

wtf - people bug you because you're giving them lame excuses for not drinking (oh - I'll buy and you'll like the taste of this) - just say you don't drink because you don't drink and they can fuck off if they ask why.  they're the ones who feel bad drinking in front of someone who isn't - which is why you're being offered - you self-righteous twat.

Aw man, so now I'm a self-righteous twat?  I've said I'll have 1 or 2 drinks at an open bar at a reception or a function.  It's about the math.  2 soft drinks cost $4 and 2 greyhounds cost $10.  Say you go out 2x a week, that adds up, and I can buy lots of groceries with that money.   No one is offering to buy me anything in the way of liquor.  In college, the term is lightweight, though I didn't hang with that crowd, so I didn't hear it referring to me.  In adult working life, I had a "good" friend tell me "I don't trust someone who doesn't drink."  How do you think bars and restaurants survive?  It's NOT in the food - it's in the alcohol and alcohol + desserts, respectively.  I've also seen what friends have had to go through to handle DUIs.  My religious and cultural upbringing ALLOWS drinking, so this is not a value judgment in the least.

Carry on ...

Jun 12, 13 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Just had some fermented horse milk at Mongolian party. Tasted like paint thinner. Better than the whine.

I love traveling. Especially to places where the culture is totally different. Getting back home after trip is even better.

Surveillance by govt is not nice but also not surprising. The govt is doing worse things though. Power serves the powerful. What else should we expect?
Jun 13, 13 5:41 am  · 
 · 

My next door neighbor spent the weekend demolishing the side wall on his screen porch, the one that faces my house.  The house was previously occupied by a fairly well-known regional painter and his fairly well-known painter wife.  Both much-respected in the realm of regional mid-century art. The side wall of the house had three panels painted with flowers - probably done in the 50s, very Deco-becoming-Modern in style. Faded, for sure, but lovely.

Now I get to look at a blank wall of T-111.

Jun 13, 13 8:43 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Donna that Sucks Big Time.

Jun 13, 13 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I drink because I like the taste of what I order.  I also enjoy the company and conversations when I go to happy hour.  At the same time, I have been known to order water on the rocks, in a rocks glass when I am around friends who are drinking and I don't want to.  I'm still not sure if I do this to keep others from asking me questions, or to make others feel more comfortable.  

Donna, that sucks about your wall.  Shame you couldn'tve asked for the panels and kept them, perhaps created a framed screen wall on your side of the property line.

And Nam, you're right, we haven't heard from Rusty in a while.  Which makes me think of Vado's cat, and what happened to him, which makes me wonder if Rusty wasn't in fact a cat that could type.  It's a funny turn of events.

And Will, it makes me smile that you used an H in your wine above, since you were talking about horses in the previous sentence.  Is Mongolia really so different culturally than Japan?  I guess I always lumped all those groups together.  Stupid American geography classes.

Jun 13, 13 10:09 am  · 
 · 
Everything I know about Mongolia comes from Ewan McGregor's "Long Way Round" and a roommate who lived there for a couple of years teaching English.

He (roommate, not Ewan) had mini-discs with recordings of the throat whistling they do - very fascinating. We would also play this game with bones (goat ankle bones IIRC) where you would throw them like dice, I don't really remember much about how you win though. He would have passed on the fermented horse milk though.

Ewan ended up adopting from Mongolia after his trip in "Long Way Round"
Jun 13, 13 10:35 am  · 
 · 

Sarah your entire comment is full of win.  I didn't even consider asking the neighbor if I could have the panels.  Dang.

I also only know Mongolia from Ewan McGregor's motorcycle trips.  I would watch that series over and over, both Long Way Round and Long Way Down.  The cultural immersion aspect is really cool. But I would also watch Ewan read the phone book and be fascinated.

Actually my husband made a comment that has stuck with me when we watched Long Way Down.  Ewan is constantly comparing everything to Scotland, saying either we have something similar to this back home, or saying I've never seen anything like this in Scotland but we do have this other great thing.  Brian pointed out wouldn't it be nice to live in a place where everything you saw in the world reinforced how much you love the place you're from?  I've never experienced that, except maybe for the one year I lived in Portland Oregon.

Jun 13, 13 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

i noticed i did that (re:louisville) in st louis a few weeks ago. not that there weren't GREAT things to see in st louis, but it wasn't the same...

Jun 13, 13 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Louisville is a city that deserves that kind of respect, for sure, Steven.  BTW Brian had a really nice visit with the new curator of KMAC yesterday.  Apparently he's a very cool person.  And he put one of Brian's grills in a current exhibit.

Jun 13, 13 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Awesome! That means you need to come for an opening, naturally!

Yes, Aldi (sp?) is a good guy, I think.
Jun 13, 13 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

I think I'll be there the first Saturday in July with GSA kids.

We're in Alaska for the opening.

Jun 13, 13 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
aml

pssst, thread central: i haven't been here in ages but i just wanted to share i met Orhan a few days ago in LA. hooray!

Jun 13, 13 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

A must read!

Jun 13, 13 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

^nice!

Jun 13, 13 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Beta, it looks like you are only pointing at your name.  I keep picturing you doing a two-thumbs chest point.... "Who's nice?  This guy!"

So I will be teaching graphic design and animation next year.  I'm pretty sure I've got Graphic design in the bag, but I'm trying to freshen up my sketching skills, and teach myself how to animate.  I figured I needed a recurring character to use when demonstrating stuff, and I've decided it would be hilarious if I turn my mentor, the previous teacher of the class into a cartoon.  Creating a cartoon style is HARD!!  How did the guys at Hanna Barbera do it?

Jun 14, 13 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I just  could not  keep from posting this:

I'm Edwin Nicolas, my late client Mr.Robert Architects, who died in a
result of September 11, 2001 World Trade Center terrorist attack
unclaim safe (10,5 million U.S. dollars) to finance security company,
which I believe this is your relative, having incurred by the same
name. Contact me directly for more information on this mailbox only
(edwinnicolas36@yahoo.com ).
Sincerely,
Edwin Nicola

Wondering how many Architects received this email.  Maybe he is a relative to all of us.Geeze and Architect with $10.5 million dollars in the bank.  He had to be selling drugs,  selling guns, or moving women around the world to undisclosed locations, with that kind of money in savings. Maybe we should all respond and see what our cut is.

Jun 14, 13 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
observant

s-d-d:

There's a big gaffe here.  He spelled his name one way in his introduction and signed off with the name spelled another way.

So he's a flake.

Jun 14, 13 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

practice, Sarah, of course!  sounds fun.

Mongolian culture is nothing like Japanese.  Germany is more like Japan I'd say.  Mongolia? Not sure yet. Definitely not like Japan though. They're very laid back.  Even getting on the plane to head back to Tokyo was a casual experience. It all works out in the end but if there is a plan or a method in mind it's not always obvious.  I quite enjoyed the place myself.  Lots of unique things going on there too.  as urban planner i found it super fascinating.

Jun 14, 13 9:37 pm  · 
 · 

Did I mention Brian might be going to Cambodia for a month in fall? I'm envious but happy for him.

Jun 14, 13 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

So observant...Observant!  It is a good thing your part of this Architect family.

Jun 15, 13 7:01 am  · 
 · 

if it weren't for that name thing i woulda totally advised contacting them. 

Jun 15, 13 9:33 am  · 
 · 

It's time to update my resume, portfolio, and social medias; going to be moving in August and consequently I'll be looking for work now.

Mrs. Henry (I'm going to have to get used to that) landed her first teaching gig and dream job teaching HS chemistry in the school district she graduated from. I'm sad to leave Pullman and my firm (only a year after starting there), but for us, we really couldn't pass up this opportunity.

Jun 15, 13 10:30 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

congrats brian!

i don't know snook, 10,5 million is a lot.  might be worth the risk.

Jun 15, 13 10:34 am  · 
 · 
observant

So observant...Observant!  It is a good thing your part of this Architect family.

Perhaps you should take a poll before making such an assertion.  It would be "interesting" to see the results.  Maybe not.

At any rate, congrats to Brian for your wife or fiancee landing a teaching position.  Without being too specific, does this mean off to somewhere in western Washington?

Jun 15, 13 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Congratulations, Brian! Both on the acquisition of a spouse and on the new adventure!

Jun 15, 13 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

congratulations, brian!

Jun 15, 13 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

De-constructed our old gas stove in order to sell it for scrap metal.  It was an interesting adventure.  I would have never imagined there were so many screws and panels and brackets.  It did teach me one thing the items under the hood are a lot better thought out than the finishes on the exterior.   Actually we are  doing a lot of scrap metal runs associated with our diner project.  It gives us petty cash to take care of the day to day expenses. So we can concentrate on the big picture.   Like us on Face Book:

facebook.com/retoreskees?fref=ts

Jun 15, 13 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

This one should work....Mrs Snooker Doodle Dandy ....bails me out  yet again

https://www.facebook.com/restoreskees

Jun 15, 13 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Thanks for the congratulations. I will add, the Mrs. Henry comment was more about the title as it applies to being a teacher (the "acquisition of a spouse" happened nearly 7 years ago). During her student teaching we ran into one of her students around town who called her Mrs. Henry and it seriously took me about a minute to figure out she was talking to my wife.

Also, yes we'll be heading to "the west side." Seattle to be slightly more specific.
Jun 15, 13 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Thinking of  contacting  Edwin Nicolas and asking him if he would like to be a  financial backer of our Project.  Shouldn't be to hard to shake loose a  few hundred thousand from a guy sitting on 10.5 Million and besides I part of the Architect Family!

Jun 15, 13 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

nice, Brian.  Enjoy the new digs. teaching is great vocation.

totally unconnected but anyone else starting to feel like its 1968 again? the whole world is protesting the way things are and pushing for something new. would be cool if something changed this time round.

Jun 15, 13 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Off of Orhan's thread:  I react to most urban vistas displayed which I recognize or that pique my interest, such as the "brutalist" theater in Baltimore MD or the favela (shantytown) feature on Rio de Janeiro.  There's no monopoly on making comments nor guidelines for how "throw the scarf over the shoulder" they have to be.  Darn, narcissism seems to be the buzz word of the last 5 years, with people with no imagination jumping on that bandwagon after someone in the media evaluated Obama as one.  Maybe I can get lessons on being "way cool."

Jun 15, 13 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
re: things changing like it's 1968: Will, from your mouth to god's ear.

(I love that phrase.)
Jun 16, 13 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: