Archinect
anchor

Transition from architecture to film/gaming industry, any career advices???

BibPorym

Just a brief introduction of my background : a recent Ivy League masters of architecture graduate working in a large architectural firm in the US. I am honestly thinking about shifting my career path and am interesting in working as an concept/visual development artist. My masters program very much focused on digital stuff so I won't feel very uncomfortable to work with a new software/ I also have skills in illustration.

The question is, is doing this whole transition worth it? (though my answer is 80% a solid yes because I don't really enjoy my job, and I also have a expectation that film/gaming industries have better paid opportunities - correct me if I am wrong) 

I am not sure about how long I need to prepare for this change and I hope if someone could advice if you have gone through the process. Don't really know how to start or make a brand new portfolio. In addition, I can't afford a 2nd masters degree so going back to school is not my option. Please advice. Advices of transferring to other roles also very welcome.

Jul 1, 22 9:27 pm
SneakyPete

"film/gaming industries have better paid opportunities"

You are wrong. 

Jul 1, 22 10:12 pm  · 
1  · 
BibPorym

Please elaborate on your opinion though. Every industry has its own pay range and there are Tier 1 jobs as well as low paid ones. It doesn't sound comparative to the architecture industry if your point is not about a specific role. Details please.

Jul 1, 22 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

From what I understand you'll be competing with many people who have very specific skills as opposed to your generalist set. That in both gaming and film. The hours are brutal. The pay is probably comparable.

Jul 1, 22 11:06 pm  · 
1  · 
prochi4

“Probably”. As if hours in architecture are not brutal

Jul 2, 22 12:29 am  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

They can be. But I have found that setting boundaries is possible. My relatives in the film industry and my friends in the gaming industry have not found it to be so.

Jul 2, 22 2:39 am  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

I'm not claiming to be right or some sort of expert. I only have the people I know as examples.

Jul 2, 22 2:39 am  · 
 · 
BibPorym

So in terms of hours... I do crazy OT from time to time, but I wouldn't complain too much abt it as long as I get paid reasonably. Sadly it is post-COVID at the moment ... (you get what I mean) It is just a critical moment for me to decide on my future career.

Jul 2, 22 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Take a look at the Gnomon School

Jul 2, 22 2:54 pm  · 
1  · 
SneakyPete

122 grand is a lot for someone who's already got a degree.

Jul 2, 22 3:40 pm  · 
2  · 
BibPorym

Thanks for your reply. As SneakyPete said, I cannot afford it. Also 122 grand for a certificate not a degree... oh...

Jul 2, 22 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
BibPorym

Just realized how shitty my spelling can be when I type aggressively lol... Thanks for your responses. Hope someone with greater insight into the gaming/film industry can talk a bit. I know schools like SCI-Arc , UCLA & Penn had some film/game production related courses in their MArch program. Would love to hear from people who have enrolled into those courses to talk about what career path they took afterwards :)

Jul 2, 22 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I used to be in Video games for 11 years, then switched to architecture - yes the hours are long. The technology evolves much quicker than in architecture - hours are long 60-80+ during milestone week - there is actually better job security in games, we rode out recessions as if they weren't there. 122k? games does pay more - after I switched from Rockstar Games to SOM, I took a 50% paycut - that being said, to work as a conceptual designer in games, you have to be very very good or you will be doing production. how good are you with sketchup, photoshop, hand drawing and ideation? If you think you pack the right gear, go for it.

Jul 2, 22 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
BibPorym

Huge thanks! I don't want to say which firm I am working for but I totally got what your are saying lmao... I haven't use sketchup since 2018 but I have 10+ years of experience in photoshop. 5+ years in Rhino, 2+years in Zbrush. I think the question for me rn is how to prepare for the transition. Portfolios? Extra software to look for? A personal gaming animation project? etc etc

Jul 2, 22 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Normally, they want to see links to games you've work on - I would just show them your architecture portfolio and be able to explain how what you did in architecture applies to video game environment design. That's what I did, then I did the inverse to get my first architecture job. - The fact you have Zbrush experience will help.

https://www.rockstargames.com/...

Jul 2, 22 8:38 pm  · 
1  · 
BibPorym

Thank you! These are all helpful. Hope I can keep you updated as I proceed :)

Jul 2, 22 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Sure, anytime - and increasingly in architecture, we are using game engines such as Enscape and Unreal Engine for real-time renderings and walk throughs, animations - Best

Jul 3, 22 12:27 am  · 
 · 
simranaggarwal

Hello, I am an architect and done my masters in construction management. But due to less experience, around 1.5 yr job and 1 yr job I am unable to get into PMC. Moreover the shear amount of hatred, taken for granted in this construction industry breaks me completely. I even approached architect firm owner for partnership which they denied but agreed to help me set up. I am constantly applying for games job with my architect portfolio and getting not even a single human reply. I know all the softwares 3d, graphic, technical and can learn new ones easily, sketching and concepts also. I am getting a job at 3d parametric facade modelling company. What should I do to get into gaming? And yes is it worth it? 

Jul 21, 23 12:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: