Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Neil Young is indeed in his own category.
May 27, 13 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Niel Young is awesome.
May 27, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Agreed. My daughter was born to Neil Young's Old Man.

May 27, 13 10:33 am  · 
 · 

hard to believe neil ever lived in manitoba, eh.

i believe in free will galloway...

May 27, 13 10:56 am  · 
 · 
!!!!Free Will Galloway!!!!
May 27, 13 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Now I can't help but wonder if Micheal Jackson will sing your theme song, Will.
May 27, 13 1:03 pm  · 
 · 

there is no there, born or conceived?

steven i really like that Ando project. i took some photos back when i visited

also donna, really like you comment "Zaha does keep trying new things, though, doesn't she? I respect that." here

i worked a bit today, I work tomorrow and then spend rest of week/weekend in NC and SC.... yeh days off!

May 27, 13 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

generous criticism right?

May 27, 13 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
My theme song should be by Stevie ray Vaughn. But likely would get moe berg instead.

I hate it when I miss the express train.
May 27, 13 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

nam, born. Conceived via whiskey.

May 27, 13 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Mine was conceived because it was Husbands birthday. No music, no liquor until after.
May 27, 13 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
The City Museum in St Louis is the coolest place in the universe. It's practically child-abuse NOT to take your kids there.
May 27, 13 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
...you know, in case you were wondering.
May 27, 13 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

City Museum in St Louis is my favorite place in the entire world, Steven. Did you climb through the stuff outside?

May 27, 13 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

indeed. i climbed right along with the kids over, under, and through everything. i'm sore, but glad it did.

what a wonderful mix of art, funkiness, activity, salvage, craft, and spirit!

a reverence for old st louis and a vision for a completely unorthodox new way of looking at a city and rethinking interior/exterior spaces and how they're made and used.  

i can't rave enough about this place. 

May 28, 13 8:44 am  · 
 · 

I'm not sure if I can post a gif here? I'm gonna try because this is my new favorite.

May 29, 13 8:21 am  · 
 · 

Hahaha! It works for me. Maybe someone needs to start an architecture gif thread? We haven't had one in awhile.

May 29, 13 8:21 am  · 
 · 

I'm all ears.

May 29, 13 8:43 am  · 
 · 

LOL Miles! Love it.

May 29, 13 8:52 am  · 
 · 
I'm just going to leave this here for the gif lovers; http://architortureschool.tumblr.com/
May 29, 13 10:06 am  · 
 · 

Thank Brian! There's my lunchtime!!

May 29, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 
-------

That site is great!

I've got to say, though, that when the computer unexpectedly shuts down, this isn't what I say.  It'd be something like "XXXXxxxXXxxXxxx..."

May 29, 13 1:47 pm  · 
 · 

I love this one.

May 29, 13 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

nice

May 29, 13 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Many Cooper Union students enter their third or fourth week of occupation. Some of these students are architecture students. Why is their fight/struggle not getting more play here? Is their situation too local? Is it the fact that they receive free tuition? Why has there not been a blog by the Cooper students that currently have Archinect blogs? This fight, why it may be local, seems to have broader implications when it comes to commitments to students, and the shenanigans perpetrated by institutions of higher learning across this country. The only thing I can manage to do is to follow them on FB, share their updates, and sign their petitions, and I'm not an alum. 

May 31, 13 8:48 am  · 
 · 

every so often it seems that every thread on archinect devolves into pissing matches. this is one of those times.

i don't know that *anything* is getting much real play right now, beta. i'll follow a thread for a little while, but then it turns into just another of the back-and-forth long-post arguments between just a few folks. may be time for me to check out for a while. 

happy friday!

May 31, 13 8:53 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh, i agree with the pissing contest, it does seem like that is happening. it also seems as though we go through a cycle of destroying, anonymously mind you, another individual's work, just for the sake of "our" - not you SW - own inadequacies, without really saying much in the process. Schumacher, sure, lets debate his commentary, it's worthy of some lengthy discussion, but what did http://archinect.com/features/article/73718716/working-out-of-the-box-larraine-henning she do to deserve to have her work slammed to the ground and stomped?? I like Gregory Walker's blog, I like Orhan's work, and Lauf/Quondam's work as well, but I have a hard time even considering posting work, or submitting editorial comments here just for the reason you cite and also because of a lack of trust, when it comes to supposed peers.

May 31, 13 9:07 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i read that article when it first popped up then didn't go back to read the comments.  in general, should probably avoid calling people 'retarded' as it doesn't really help the conversation, but i appreciate the use of 'moronic dilettante.'

i find that observant is very capable of derailing threads into pissing matches.  i sometimes make it worse instead of better, but endeavor to do my best to step out once my usefulness in a conversation is exhausted.

May 31, 13 9:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

curt i agree with the criticism, at times when i read such sexist, and ass backwards comments, i let my shaming fly.

May 31, 13 10:05 am  · 
 · 
I love that weird bunny-on-a-log image on the front page right now. Makes me laugh and think of Jake Ghyllenhall.
May 31, 13 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
observant

i find that observant is very capable of derailing threads into pissing matches.

Now, come on, curt, was that necessary?  I have more traditional views on things, despite having been raised in large urban centers, which don't mesh with the prevailing opinion on here and I don't mind defending my position in the crossfire.

Also, some of the threads are about specific places and the thought turns to travel - which is sort of related.  When s-d-d showed Niemeyer's museum in Niteroi (RdJ) Brazil, it dovetailed into a discussion about visiting Rio.  Ok - we know it's Niemeyer and we know it's his museum in a Rio suburb.  When orhan showed Hagia Sofia, I remembered what I learned in my first class and then my mind wandered over to travel in Istanbul, and he go torqued.

Also, it depends on whether the topic is, by its very nature, inflammatory.  Some are.  And some aren't.  I'd like to see you chime in on some of the education type threads and help prospective students wade through all this information, for example.

At any rate, it's all good.  Have 2 of whatever you're drinking up tonight - one for me.  If I come through and we go for barbeque, I'll be having a Coke while you have your beer. *wink*

May 31, 13 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

That was not Hagia Sophia but Mosque of Suleyman by Sinan. Big difference. But more to the point, it was not about whether it is HG nor M of S nor about the pickpockets of Istanbul..

May 31, 13 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
observant

You actually corrected me that it was a museum in that thread.  At any rate, I became somewhat interested in Istanbul after different friends visited the city (they said that it is safe but to avoid being ensnared by anything minimally suspicious, though not specifically pickpockets) and after seeing the works of Ferzan Ozpetek, the Turkish born film director who turns out some of Italy's more successful films.

Jun 1, 13 12:15 am  · 
 · 

not necessary but entirely true. its uncanny.

not sure what kind of community archinect actually is.  feels a bit like a small town, something imagined by michael landon...

Jun 1, 13 2:33 am  · 
 · 
observant

^

That's cool, will, coming from you.  We're almost 180s, and I could tell that from the picture, your position on things, and your posting style ... from day one.  I'm sure all community forums are like small towns.  So are school studios with 20 people, for that matter.  You'll have people who are two peas in a pod, and people who would never break bread together.  I'm sure neither you or I will lose any sleep over that.

Jun 1, 13 2:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Here are the threads that I find irritating and wholly unworthy of commenting on, in no particular order;

any thread looking for help on which grad school to attend - grad school, if you haven't figured out where you want to go, by the time you've applied, or have been accepted, you're an idiot

threads like, can you tell me where to find X - at this point, the Internet is a treasure trove of info, and yes, archinect is part of the Internet, but if you fail to at least demonstrate you've done the basics, and someone just googles your search, and finds what you are looking for, then again, you're an idiot

computers for grad school - figure it out, you're a big boy now

Jun 1, 13 9:27 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't really care where these kids go to school observant.  i understand you have a strong opinion on the difference between uiuc and k-state or whatever, but i honestly don't think it matters.  it is my opinion that any of these kids can get whatever computer they want and go wherever they want and in a broader, say 40 year, view, it doesn't matter at all.

Jun 1, 13 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Yup. Grad school is supposed to be for advanced studies, building on a pursuit of knowledge. These kids that are going to grad school to "figure it out" or "wait it out" are limiting their opportunities, not broadening them. But I'm mostly self- and apprentice-taught, so that's just my opinion. I'm also in a circle where degrees don't matter, nobody cares, a degree is one stepping stone, not the destination. 

Jun 1, 13 9:46 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

For my fellow fundamentalist bashers, leading neuroscientist says religious fundamentalism is a mental illness, and treatable. http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/30/leading-neuroscientist-religious-fundamentalism-may-be-a-mental-illness-that-can-be-cured/

Jun 1, 13 10:40 am  · 
 · 

We are long past the point where anyone with a different belief system from you is mentally ill. And yes, brainwashing is reversible. By brainwashing, of course. 

Jun 1, 13 10:49 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Which Micheal Landon are we talking about, Bonanza - with all its damsels in distress and fist fights, Little House on the Prairie - in which case who gets to be Nelly and her mom, or Highway to Heaven? And if its the last one, I want to be the trucks with the beard; he was always so calm, wise, and happy.
Jun 1, 13 11:33 am  · 
 · 
observant

i don't really care where these kids go to school observant.  i understand you have a strong opinion on the difference between uiuc and k-state or whatever, but i honestly don't think it matters.  it is my opinion that any of these kids can get whatever computer they want and go wherever they want and in a broader, say 40 year, view, it doesn't matter at all.

Schools have collective personalities.  That might not be apparent from a website.  Also, some students, especially those new to the field, cannot discern curricular differences.  Neither could my comm. coll. drafting teacher (UT-Austin, go figure) after u.g., and he was an architect, as in "Oh, I think this one looks better."  I look for sequence and content distribution.  Also, one needs the fit factor.  Even though circumstances prevented me from going, one especially appealing aspect of Colorado-Denver was that all that the grad programs were at Denver, and the undergrad programs, and all the bullshit at that age, were at Boulder.  I had been in the workforce and did not want to deal with u.g.s if I didn't have to, especially since I always tended to have friends who were older than me.  However, a visit to the school revealed some disgruntled students at that point in time ... and I passed on it.  Also, a lot of the threads have been about weighing architecture and other options.  Having done the weighing, the wondering, and the postponing, I like to chime in.

Jun 1, 13 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Which Micheal Landon are we talking about, Bonanza

Probably this Michael Landon.  "Little Joe" on Bonanza.  Passed away early, from cancer, at age 54.  Born in Forest Hills, Queens, NY and died in Los Angeles, CA.  RIP - Michael Landon.

Jun 1, 13 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

beta here's why posters feel they can dis other work...http://archinect.com/news/article/59648

Jun 1, 13 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

About starchitects, architecture is one of the few fields where, during your professional training, you seek to emulate famous architects, and even call out similarities during the development of your design.  If you are training to be a plastic surgeon, do you get starry eyed and indicate that you are trying to emulate an established medical professor's nose jobs?  No.  Ditto for legal education.  You simple strive to achieve generic and baseline competence.

Jun 1, 13 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

If you are training to be a plastic surgeon, do you get starry eyed and indicate that you are trying to emulate an established medical professor's nose jobs?  No.  Ditto for legal education.  You simple strive to achieve generic and baseline competence.

I actually doubt that is the case. Every field and profession has certain people who excel and are looked up to and published. Doctors and lawyers have magazines, books, and articles too. Students who are serious about their education are influenced by this.

Jun 1, 13 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

True.  However, there is no cooing.  Who was that famous heart surgeon in Houston TX?  DeBakey?  I'm sure than when he did a presentation to med students on his pioneering work on cardiac issues, he didn't storm out of there with arrogance.  Doctors have a high level of collegiality.  When a friend and 2 other guys went to rent a 3 bedroom house near a medical school's teaching hospital, they lost out to a medical student ... and what appeared to be his partner.  My friend and his 2 friends all had jobs, in IT and business, and could have effortlessly paid the rent.  Call it "doctor's courtesy."  It is one profession that does NOT eat its young.

When a starchitect comes to speak at a school function, they often seem to be doing a favor to students who want to ask questions or talk to them afterward.  I have seen this more than once.

In another setting, like business and law, they are not as cavalier to the students and seem to have better "recall" of when they were in their same shoes.

It is that veneer of elitism with starchitects that makes the whole thing annoying and, at times, even nauseating.

Jun 1, 13 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

Starchitects are to architecture what Arnold Schwarzenegger is to movies.

Jun 1, 13 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Observant, Micheal Landon played in all three of the shows I listed, but were all slightly different personalities.

And can we lighten the mood in here? Anybody got a good joke?

Man walks into a bar...

...says "ow."
Jun 1, 13 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
observant

And can we lighten the mood in here? Anybody got a good joke?

Well, they are all dirty or politically incorrect, so here's a couple of lighter ones:

1.  Independent of the timing, with the sad events in Oklahoma, here's an old one:

Q:  What do tornadoes and divorces in Appalachia have in common?

A:  Either way, you lose the mobile home.

2.  One made for parochial grammar school:

A girl goes off to first grade for the very first time.  The teacher asks her "What's your name?"  The girl says "Happy butt."  The teacher asks her again "Ok, that's not acceptable, please tell me your name."  The girl replies "It's Happy butt."  The teacher then tells her that they will be going to see the principal, who is told that the girl will not tell her her name.  The principal calls up the girl's mother and asks "Excuse me,  but your daughter is not cooperating and we'd like for her to tell us her name.  What is her name?"  In a real redneck-y drawl, the mother replied "Glad-ass."

I'm better with racier ones, but I'll defer.

Jun 1, 13 3:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: