Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

garpike

I am going to Jamaica at the end of June. Archinect Jamaica meet up!

May 17, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
May 17, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sweet Olds...

May 17, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Home sweet home. Free drink to who knows where this is. No cheating.

May 17, 07 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

where what is?

Garpike - good idea

May 17, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I make a right turn at the junction each xmas night to go to the bar. 9 years running. Haven't missed a single one. One year I broke my leg after the bar. Yeah.

How big is Jamaica? I'll be vacationing 2 hours from Montego.

May 17, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

cris,
i did deleted the news item which became a trash can by the time we concluded our dog fight in which neither of us spared any harshness.
i do apologize if i came out too 'strong' and 'rude' on you and triggered whole kinds of angry response.
appearently i did.

i don't know why you don't understand that my very first comment was not about you but about the show. i don't particularly care about this show or find it fascinating but that is only my personal opinion and if you care we can meet up some day and talk about it why. it is not uncommon on these boards to have dismissive comments on a jiffy. right?

if you wish, i will re post it on your behalf and start from a clean slate.

i don't wish to offend people this way. as a matter of fact i do not operate in that mentality.
at this point i am willing to set all this aside and let my minor ego sink and say 'cris, let's move on and remain friends'.
i wish you the best with your life and your work, i mean it,
orhan

May 17, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 

now I am curious

May 17, 07 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, that was nice too.

May 17, 07 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Jamaica — Area (Total): 10,991 SQ KM

May 17, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 

Montserrat — Area (Total): 102 SQ KM

May 17, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sheet im designin a house that big!

May 17, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 

wow, techno! That's WAY small. I thought Bonaire was small, but it turns out that it's 288 SQ KM.

May 17, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

a little fun for your friday a.m.: d.c. idol. voting ends today.

an update on life out here in the middle: now that we have two kids the grandparents have run amok. last night i spent the whole evening putting together a double jogging stroller that we received from a grandpa. i think it's bigger than some of the cars we saw in spain...

May 18, 07 7:38 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

what's the gas mileage of that stroller?

May 18, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
+i

maybe you should attach solar panels to it, so it can power itself

May 18, 07 9:27 am  · 
 · 

my wife is a light eater so i'll estimate 3 miles per spinach salad and cup'o'chai. so if we figure out what it took to get those things to the store, we can probably come up with a gas use number...

May 18, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just walked over to a meeting with my client, gc and a neighborhood development fellow at his office which is in the office of another architecture firm. turned down a ride in a bentley and walked back.

May 18, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

orhan, thanks. i appreciate it.

let's put this behind us.

i'm sending you an email right now as well. =)

May 18, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

Steven, when I was in Seattle everyone seemed to have one of those, with a little tent-like enclosure over it, and about half of them were hooked up to and trailing behind the parent's bicycles. It was wierd, but the parents sure seemed to be having fun. Maybe it's something about locking the kids in their own little bubble and dragging them behind you that makes you feel a little more free?

May 18, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mdler's adivce of the day....

dont eat an In-n-Out #1 animal style with a chocolate/strawberry shake right before you go to bed....

May 18, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

'philia, where in jamaica are you from?

i was in negril for a week last september.

jamaica is beautiful. i wish i was there right now.

i can't wait to go back!

May 18, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ahahaha, mdler, @ least you've got a built-in alarm clock!

May 18, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

now you tell me!

May 18, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 

damn, now I REALLY want In-N-Out.

May 18, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

animal style fries!!!

i'm trying to insert a picture but something is up with my copy/paste commands. it's just not copying or pasting! i've tried ctrl+c and ctrl+v as well as right clicking and nothing! anybody have this happen to them?

May 18, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

you have to follow the fancy code at the bottom of the response box.

May 18, 07 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

Cris, yeah, oddly enough my Ctrl key got stuck the other week. It just wasn't working reliably. Made working in Illlustrator a real bitch, because I've recently been trying to wean myself off of the menus and onto key commands.

May 18, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

aha, it works!!!

sarah, i know how to post images, but for some reason i couldn't copy and paste and i was not about to write down and type in the url for the image!

all i had to do was restart my computer. oh well, that was weird.

May 18, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 

key commands are the only way to go... in CAD, photoshop, illustrator, whatever...

when i have my own firm i want to give CAD quizzes in interviews and if the person uses an icon or pull down menu then they get the boot...

May 18, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, i agree, key commands save so much time!

May 18, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I use a hybrid of key commands and icons. One hand on the mouse, and one hand on the keyboard. Pull-downs are a waste of time. I rarely use them and when I do it's for a command I may only use once in a lifetime.

May 18, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

On a different note, a contractor brought in Rio Wrap box lunches. The beef burrito and chips & salsa were excellent. I fear I will be regretting it this afternoon, however.

May 18, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

I use a lot of pulldowns, but still manage to be faster than anyone else in the office. So I've never worried about it before. But since I've heard a lot of graphic designers complaining about employees who don't know key commands, I've decided to make a concerted effort to integrate them into my work. I maintain that one CAN use the pulldowns and such very quickly, but there's no point in taking this road if it's going to cost me jobs.

May 18, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

well, whatever works for you rationalist!

May 18, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

me too....i don't even know what half the icons in CAD are...I have to hover over them to see...ooh, that’s "make block"....hell-to-the-no....JUST TYPE *b*,*space*

it annoys me when I am trying to show someone how to do something and they don't know any key commands- then I have to look through all the menus to find something!

The other thing that drives me nuts is when people don’t read the command line. It tells you what to do- JUST READ IT!!!!

“how’d you do that?”
“what, zoom extents??”
“Z space E space”- READ THE PROMPT!

May 18, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

I refuse to find it in the menus for them! I'll literally tell them, "Type in M-A-X-A-C-T-V-P. Then type in a number greater than the number of viewports you want." If they ask what that command is, I say "Max Active Viewport." If they ask, "Where do you find that?" I refuse to adknowledge what they mean, and repeat the typed command for them. If THEY want to search the help file and find out how to get to it through a pulldown, that's their business.

I guess I use mostly typed commands in AutoCAD, but few in other programs.

May 18, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

i didn't think about that with a mac....

haha...I wonder if they will do an external ctrl key that just clips on the edge of the keyboard (usb powered)...

oooh....nobody use that...it's golden...I'm gonna be richhhhh

May 18, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

I've got a red key that says "PANIC" on it floating around here somewhere. The idea was to switch it with F1, but it didn't fit on my keyboard. = (

May 18, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Sorry Cris. I didnt look at how many posts and entries you had when I responded. Its just that I'm an idiot and tried to actually copy and paste my first picture post into the response box and then couldnt figure out why it wouldnt work. I still have trouble with the funny text code at the bottom.

And I use icons only when its cold in my office, and Im sitting on one hand; otherwise, I type. But since I got a heater, it hasn't been too bad.

May 18, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

sarah, it's all good! =D

WhatToDo, that is awesome, ha ha! a usb powered ctrl key! i expcect to see renderings! =P

May 18, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

i got some pink and black striped ones from H&M...80's fashion back in style= lots of fingerless gloves!

May 18, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

leg warmers?

May 18, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

tumbleweed...I'm taking notes.

cris...I might have a pair (or three) lol

May 18, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I type everything in autocad too, but I changed all my abbreviations to the left side of my keyboard, even including numbers, thus my computer is completely encripted and logical only to moi.

May 18, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, i thought so WTD! =P

May 18, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 

hys - whoever uses your computer after you is going to hunt you down

May 18, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist the beautiful thing about this lovely island is that its sooooooooo mountainous that it never feels small (well relatively)

May 18, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

and I was born in Mandeville, but lived most of my life in St.Andrew/Kingston metropolition area (capital city of 1.2million inhabitants)

May 18, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

the TC regulars must be asleep this sunday

May 20, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: