Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

I could download it at 2AM, but I've sworn off credit cards, even for itunes. And I want to support Indy Vinyl in Broad Ripple.

May 14, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

steven, i preordered my copy of sky blue sky a few months ago... i got an email on friday that it had been shipped... i'm hoping that it arrives a day early and that i'll find it at home when i get home from the office in about 20 minutes... otherwise, i guess that i'll wait until tomorrow...

also, bright eyes will be here on wednesday...

May 14, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

r u a 24 hour party people? guess im goin to luna records tomorrow.

May 14, 07 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

18 hours and counting before i board my flight....back to my rock. Bags about 3/4 packed. But I'm contemplating leaving some shoes. For a guy I have alot of shoes. I was travelling for 2 weeks and brought 5 pairs less the ones i had on.

May 14, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i also love shoes, techno, and understand your plight.

TC - i am happy to report that i have a job. verrrrry tough decision between some great choices, but it's done now, and i will be celebrating soon...woo to the hoo.

May 14, 07 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

YAY! for AP getting a job so quick! Fantastic and glad there was no settling involved, only good choices.

And YAY! for architechno getting back to the office grind! (I am sure you will be happy to get back after a potentially difficult adjustment during which you miss having 24 hours a day to post on the 'nect).

I don't have time to shop during the day, vado, as you know, but at 2am when I send the drawings to the printer I *could* buy the new Ike Reilly online - except that credit card restriction thing.

May 14, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

i know...I've resolved to only use TC late at night during private project time or at lunch.... its going to be difficult

May 14, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

hey tumbles.... look at our posts (less this one i've made completely messing it up) +1100 more

May 14, 07 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay for everyone.

^Sorry, that's the extent of my enthusiasm today. I've been home sick from work all day and I still feel like crap. :o(

May 14, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

YAY AP! I was curious, my gmail kept saying that you were making hard decisions, but I wasn't completely sure why. Glad the hard part is over, now get in there and kick some ass!

Word of advice for the day: Hand on to those medical records! If you move or change doctors, get a copy from the current/previous doctor before you do so. Mine have been completely lost and it's causing me all kinds of problems.

May 14, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

sometimes i feel like you just can't fucking win in this profession.

May 14, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

hi myriam!

May 14, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hi wonderk :) i had a really nice weekend but today got slammed at work (as usual). big bummer. had a client... oh well, not worth getting into. i just don't understand how people find it ok to treat their design professional like shit, in ways they don't treat the person serving them coffee or whatver. rant over!

May 14, 07 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Congrats, AP!

May 14, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

AP- yeay on the job! do you have a flat yet? Job is step one to becoming a bonified straphanger.

m- have a beer, glass of wine, or martini and just chill and enjoy this beautiful weather we're all having this evening.

May 14, 07 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Nope, tumbles, debit cards are OK. But I won't use mine online, thank goodness!

May 14, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i had a dream last night that one of the numbnuts on ESPN mentioned Archinect, very odd but somewhat pleasant.

May 15, 07 5:09 am  · 
 · 

myriam, i've noticed that sometimes it helps to slow people down (even/especially clients) and remind them of their and your humanity. get them off the basic mindset of a transaction taking place and back to people-hood. of course you have to do this tactfully.

we've only had one client recently for whom this didn't work. after going round and round with her for a week or so, my employer finally just 'fired' her. (<< which brings me to my next comment: make sure that your employer knows what's up.)

May 15, 07 7:51 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

on another note, i finished all of my exams for the ARE, now it's wait time to see if i am back at it in 6 months. overall gs and lf are not as scary as i or others have made it out to be, very passable. i just suck ass at calculations under pressure. i liken it to sitting at home getting all the questions right on Jeopardy and then going on Jeopardy and leaving with you owing them money.

May 15, 07 8:23 am  · 
 · 

congrats on the job AP... i sent you an email...

congrats on the ARE SK... i'm studying for GS now...

May 15, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
myriam

This client routinely belittles me in meetings. It is getting to be extremely difficult to take. I will make sure my boss knows what's up--I've spoken about it a few times, but I think it's hard to understand in anything more than general terms unless you see it first hand; and of course it doesn't happen when the boss is there. This has pretty much been very hurtful and stressful for me for months now.

May 15, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Feeling much better today. Congrats on your job AP! Good job finishing the ARE, Stourley!

myriam, you know you can't take that.

May 15, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Arrrrgh.

I'm getting "reassigned". It's not the worst thing that could happen, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for.

I think I might have to bite the bullet and tell them.

May 15, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 

What does that mean? Reassigned to another project/team, or to another office?

May 15, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

a little late celebration of page 97...

May 15, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Reassigned to another project which would involve traveling. It's just not a good idea to use me for this work though, especially considering all the crap that I'm going to have to do in the next couple of months.

I'm taking my friend out to lunch and I'm going to tell her today. That way, on the off chance that something goes horribly wrong, at least I have a witness.

May 15, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

just sittin here suckin on my cavity...

May 15, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 
AP

thanks everyone, and BIG congrats to Stourley for wrapping up the ARE! that's huge...i propose that tk takes him for a drink on us non-minnieapple archinecters.

tk - no permanent place to live yet, that turns out to be much more difficult than finding a good job.

May 15, 07 11:07 am  · 
 · 

well, hopefully having a job will help with that one, no? One apartment I tried to get (failed due to bf's screwed up credit) actually called my employer and asked if they were planning on firing me any time soon!!

May 15, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

time for a lunch and learn i think its on building wrap. i hope the foods good.

May 15, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

stourley- since you don't drink CH3CH2OH, I'll buy you some single leaf lapsang souchong or other exotic and rare treat... congrats on wrapping up the tests!!!!

AP - the simplest way to land a pad in nyc without paying an arm and leg to the broker is to share. there are some great places available that way... otherwise it will take a lot longer and some serious $$$ to even be considered. good luck (having a job helps!)

May 15, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

you know what dubk this part is always worse in your mind than the reality of the moment, people will surprise you on occasion...good luck.

and thanks for the good wishes so far, i hope more good news comes in the form of PASSX2

May 15, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the breuer charrette feature is up. thanks to all who did the heavy lifting getting it together!!! it looks awesome.

May 15, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Good luck WonderK! You held out as long as you could, just look at it as this circumstance is showing you when the appropriate moment to tell them has come.

May 15, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats on the new job, AP, and good luck finding a place. I'll be looking for employment and housing in NYC later this summer. Several other Archinectors are moving to NYC this summer as well... We'll have to have a big NYC Archinect get-together once everybody is settled in.

I just got back from the dentist's office because I thought I was getting a cavity on a molar. I hadn't been to a dentist in 4 years, so I was bracing myself for the worst when they did the cleaning and exam.

And for good reason... Turns out I have many more cavities than I thought, and I'll need surgery on my upper gum due to some damage caused by a bridge and some crowns I had put in a few years ago.

Great.... That's one more layer of stress I really don't need right now. I'll have the cavities filled over the next couple weeks, but the major stuff will have to wait until I'm settled in NYC with new insurance and a new dentist.

On top of my already-foul mood, my bosses keep coming up and asking for shit, oblivious to the fact that I'm clearly on my lunch break. I need to start eating lunch outside the office more often.

May 15, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
I did it!

Whew. Just like ripping off a bandaid.

May 15, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats!

May 15, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

WK- so what was their response? any hair stuck to the adhesive?

I posted my resume to the AIA resume bank yesterday. Results so far: 1 phone call from a headhunter in CA, and inquiries from Vegas and the east coast. It's nice to feel wanted!

May 15, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Very positive, tk. They were actually happy for me, and congratulated me! Went as well as could be expected. I think they were just relieved that I wasn't quitting for another job, lol.

It IS nice to feel wanted, isn't it? :o)

May 15, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Congrats DubK and TK!!

May 15, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hys- not yet, I need somebody to 'show me the money!' first...

May 15, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Well at least you're wanted.

May 15, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 

i spent the whole afternoon in verizon hell. the other day i, in order the save some money, combined two telephone numbers under one name and that was not done properly by verizon people and the fax line was cut off.
i went through a kafka-esque tour of telephone company hell talking to multiple robots, operators, repair staff, have been disconnected from the line several times and had to re explain the problem at least half a dozen times. all because of their mistake and incompetence...
at the end it took one computer click and a short download on their end to fix the problem. they make a joke out of you, they charge you, they screw you and you can't do a jack about it and you are completely in the mercy of one rare technician who actually might know what the problem is and fixes it, if you are lucky.
no you can't get upset, because they just disconnect you or connect you to another number who then connects you to yet another one and just after that you are disconnected and have to start the same 20 minute loop all over again with a robot asking you to say what the problem is and saying "no i didn't get that can you repeat or say this or this..."
maybe jerry falwell died because they didn't give fuck about him at the verizon call center either..

May 15, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

oh, i almost forgat, my computer mouse scroll wheel is not working anymore either. do you know how annoying that is?
i am complaining so much and i am not even french.

May 15, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Orhan, try this

May 16, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

So did anyone else see Thom Mayne on tv last night? He was interviewed about his new federal building in San Fransisco. The showed the building, and peoples takes on it, and him discussing/deffending it.

Since I haven't seen it in person, I'm sure I am missing a lot, but I found it be ugly, and uncomfortable looking. I thought the ideas behind its sustainability and conservation were cool, but I felt the building as a whole just kinda sucked. The lobby looked almost scary to inhabit.

Has anybody seen this?

May 16, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 

katze..;.)

sarah,
do you remember where you've seen it?

May 16, 07 10:31 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

It was on HDNet's World report. I was just flipping through the channels when I came across it. I thought it was cool that a "News" show, its very 20/20/dateline, was even discussing modern architecture and interviewing an architect.

I wasn't able to find a clip, but I found an upcoming schedule if you have the chanel.

http://www.hd.net/worldreport.html

May 16, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 

thanks i'll look for it.

May 16, 07 11:19 am  · 
 · 
+i

completely random...

apparently it is easy to get a gun in illinois, too (not just VA)...

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- "Bubba" Ludwig can't walk, talk or open the refrigerator door -- but he does have his very own Illinois gun permit.

The 10-month-old, whose given name is Howard David Ludwig, was issued a firearm owner's identification card after his father, Howard Ludwig, paid the $5 fee and filled out the application, not expecting to actually get one.

The card lists the baby's height (2 feet, 3 inches), weight (20 pounds) and has a scribble where the signature should be.

With some exceptions, the cards are required of any Illinois residents purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition within the state. There are no age restrictions on the cards, an official said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/15/baby.gun.ap/index.html

May 16, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: