Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

good job e..
i love skirball center as an educational institution.
good to see you back too. i apreciate it when a museum show offers things to children to help their imagination grow.

Apr 26, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

no rush at all, e. I've got months before I'll actually be calling these people, so whenever you've got a moment to divulge all your great local knowledge of the seattle design scene, I'll be around to lap it up.

Apr 26, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
e

orhan, you should check it out. they will open on june 26th. doing stuff for the kids always puts a smile on my face.

Apr 26, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

hmm had a great day today, philosophies in architecture critique for the first year grad students. 8no. students presenting projections of the select reading. Those that I remember; cubism in architecture, distortion in architectural photography, visualisation, collage in architectural production, mapping in architectural discourse.

I sat with my mouth flapping through most of it so i don't have photos to show...apologies

Apr 26, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
jones

LB - that post was completely "overcapacitated". It's what happens when I enjoy one beer so much that I must have another! I have no control!

e- olson, s, k, a, ---their work makes me think of richard serra and scarpa. your webpage is lovely. thanks for posting the link.

Apr 26, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so im home now. woke up at 5:30 this mornin, went to work at seven. met ms. liberty bell for lunch!!! that's right be jealous guys! then at about 4:45 a couple of my coworkers said that they were goin to happy hour at mccormick and schmidt's and i tagged along. it was funny cuz they have this happy hour menu which has 1.95 half pound cheeseburgers and calimari and steamed clams etc. all for 1.95 and by the time the bill came our tab was over a c note. thats what maccallan and port can do! also, got and am listening to n_'s cd. excellent! now im gonna lay on the couch.

Apr 26, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm just leaving work, haven't left before 8pm all week, am fucking exhausted, and haven't eaten dinner yet. will probably be here all weekend finishing up a client presentation, the same stuff they have already been presented with umpteen times. i am tired. my coworkers went to a party with free wine and food at the site of one of my projects, which i was working on here at the office.

Apr 26, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sounds like we are living in opposite worlds myriam!

Apr 26, 07 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jones, next time we will each get a beer then SPLIT the second one - that way neither of us gets overcapacitated.

I was good and kept myself to ONE glass of wine at the Show House Preview Party tonight because I had to come back home and do a mud room cabinetry design for a 10am meeting tomorrow. Glad you had fun out vado (you know McCormick and Schmick's is a PDX original, right?), and myriam YOU need to take a break and have some fun too!

Now I'm exhausted. Tomorrow is the big deal opening party at the Show House and I may well get blotto and insult all the wealthy patrons. no, I'm kidding - I'm a happy drunk.

'night.

Oh and e I haven't had time to look yet but the project sounds great - glad to see things are going so well for you! I'll check it out tomorrow.

Apr 26, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

(Jumping in to rescue Thread Central from the depths of page two...)

Well, I just turned in my official resignation notice at the office, even though I'm not leaving until the end of June. It was mostly just a formality at this point, since everybody in the office already knew I was planning to go to grad school this fall, and my NYC plans were pretty much an open secret by now anyway. I doubt there will be much fallout, since the office is chronically short-staffed anyway.

So it's finally off my chest, and one less thing for me to obsess about. I think I'll have a beer this evening. I wish I could move to NYC tomorrow, but I also wish I had another six months to save up money for the move.

Apr 27, 07 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Gin, that's the only thing that keeps me here... I would love to move RIGHT NOW, but instead I'm doing the responsible thing only giving myself a week to get moved and settled before school starts. This means that I'll have an extra $3k in my pocket when I make the move, but it's costing me a lot, sanity-wise.

Apr 27, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I fourth that sentiment.

Apr 27, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think it's official for me...mdler has reached Per-like status

Apr 27, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

My partner is sketching come condo plans across the room and has Dr. Phil turned on. I may have to jam my fingers into my laptop's USB slots and see if I can electrocute myself now....

Apr 27, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 

you mean he is designing for infinity + dwell condos? maybe dr. phil should do that competition.

Apr 27, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

its nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks dr.phil should shut up

Apr 27, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so i am pretty bummed out as i just found out that my nephew is off to iraq for 15 months. of course, he has one kid and another on the way. its so fucked up i cant really talk about it.

Apr 27, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm sorry vado. I think he went to training quite awhile ago, right? One would have hoped we would have been out of this mess by now. What bullshit. I wish the faces of those who are serving and those who were killed/injured were plastered all over TV/billboards/newspapers/sides of buses so we could have a better sense that actual people - neighbors, even - are being directly impacted by this war.

The condo plans my partner was working on are for a place one of our fave contractors is looking to buy. He can either buy a shell ready to renovate (it's an existing building) or for $20K more get it finished. My partner's suggestion was to take it finished but immediately tear everything out and use it in another job - you can't outfit a kitchen for less than $20K if you're only buying one of everything!

Apr 28, 07 9:23 am  · 
 · 

my nephew is so brain washed beyond recognition. when i talk to him about war in iraq he disrespectfully shots me down and i don't care anymore if he goes to iraq which he is waiting for the orders. i don't think he'll ever get whats going on unless he comes to a revelation himself one day on the combat zone. army is really fucked. i am more sad about my sister who worries about her son a lot so does his dad. they really doctrin those kids before they send them to wars. like they feed them bunch of bs about danger to their country and how they are the ones are brave enough to defend it etc.. he really thinks rest of the civilian population aren't honorable who are against the war. prick. i hate the army.. he is a fuckin idiot.
sorry vado. i don't mean your nephew is the same way. but it is sad that those kids don't really know that they are being used and their lives put on the line for politicians' greed and aggression to say the least.

Apr 28, 07 11:25 am  · 
 · 
French

larslarson
Does anybody knows if tumbleweed and mdler are the same person?

Apr 28, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

ok, that cinches it; i am officially in love with Tofu. yep, Tofu, there i said it. why? because i made a concoction yesterday, that once it sat in the fridge over night, tasted even better this morning...

i toke a package of silken tofu, some bread crumbs with garlic and herb seasoning, and fried it a little, then threw in some white onions and some garlic, then threw in a can of diced tomatoes. on top of that i laid strips of mozz string cheese and some oregano, salt and pepper.

what i plan to do differently is try olive oil instead of veg oil, add seasoning earlier, and use an egg substitute to bind the bread crumbs to the tofu, i may even use different tofu.

but man is it good, even good cold.

i may just swear off my last vestige of meat - fish.

i need my dairy though.

Apr 28, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 

you can always use soy milk like me :D

tell me stourley seems as if you meal was more about the tomatoes - or am I getting the proportions wrong?

Apr 28, 07 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

15 oz of Tofu and 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes...tastes like chix parm....

Apr 28, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Even though I stopped being a vegitarian 6 years ago, I'll still equate eggplant or mushrooms to meat when I put a meal together. You just don't need to consume animal bodies every day.

Apr 28, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

I was at my heaviest when i was a vegetarian for 13 months.

Apr 28, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Yay! A few minutes of early-morning posting, and I own the entire top tier of the new format Discussion page!

Time to go make a pancake shaped like a rocket, per Angus' request. Wish me luck.

Apr 29, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I do smiley face pancakes for my wife....It takes a little bit of practice but the result always ends in a happy faced pancake and a happy wife.

Apr 29, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

In 7th grade we had sex education classes.....they showed us a video where a woman made pancakes in the shape of a uterus and ovaries to describe a female reproductive system to her daughter. I couldn't stop laughing.

and that, my friends, is how we will end page 92.

Apr 29, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

i went to opening party of these new lofts in south east of down town los angeles. friend of mine designed the lofts which were fitted in an old biscuqit factory. they were really nice but i'd be crazy to put 1.5-4 million and live in an environment of total enclave surrounded immediatly by homeless population who live in cardboard boxes.
there will be a lot of loft district arrests soon.
i saw people coming there in style. limos with chauffeurs opening the doors. they say beckham and posh bought the most expensive one, a 4 million$, 4 storey penthouse loft.
i really like my friend who did a great job but the place is not a good location.
there are some big developer forces behind all this but with the market the way it is going right now, i don't think the area is going to make it. but maybe then beckhams will be moving to dubai to live on the british isles...
i can also see how the marketers are attracting the young, rich and want to be artist, look types with every symbol constructed for them at a price.

i was there for .5 hour and left before breaking anything...

Apr 29, 07 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

lofts;

Apr 29, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

funny how things that were chic for those that couldn't afford conventional housing/homes are all of a sudden hot ticket items....makes me thankful that lofts haven't taken off as popular in this side of the world

Apr 29, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

I have thoughts on lofts. But frankly, as I sat here and tried to type them out, I made so many mistakes that I give up, and will just admit to all that I am hung over.

Apr 29, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

I need brunch.

Apr 29, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes, brunch! I just got back from another outing of "brunch rating". Should have that on my MySpace blog by the end of the day.

rationalist, we will have so much brunch when I get there.....

Apr 29, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

When are you getting here again? Not the visit, the real move. Or is that not to be determined until the housing situation sorts itself out?

Apr 29, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

go for the grease rationalist...sure hare of the dog

Apr 29, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

August some time. First or second week probably.

Apr 29, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

i love iron work so much, so beautiful.

Apr 29, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

rationalist I am curious, when you are able, to hear your thoughts on lofts and loft living

Apr 29, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
n_

orhan, do you know tania with alcks instanbullu?

Apr 29, 07 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan re: the lofts:

I had a friend in grad school describe the grunge style as "pretty dirty" as in: "Those guys spent a long time getting pretty to look that dirty."

That's how those and ALL developer lofts are. Real lofts kinda suck, in my experience, because they're done DIY cheaply and they are always either too hot or too cold, noisy mechanicals, plenty of places for mice to come in, sketchy neighborhoods, difficult when you have a houseguest, etc.

Pretty Dirty:

Apr 30, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 

houseguest = mouse = billy idol

rock the cradle of love

Apr 30, 07 1:24 am  · 
 · 

ok, lofts... I love the look, I would love to live in one. I like that these older buildings are getting repurposed to respond to the market (residential vs. commercial, more on this later) instead of falling out of use or being torn down. But a lot about the economics of it bother me. First, why is it SOOOOO expensive to buy a unit in a building which was built decades ago for a few fraction of the price that they are selling a single unit for now? Yes, they updated it, they put in nice kitchens and baths and mezzanines, but the profit margin on these things is still ricockulous, particularly when you consider, as Orhan noted above, the area demographics. These properties usually have no low-income housing at all, or as little as they can get away with, moving luxury households into areas with a large homeless population. By and large, the people buying these units want nothing more than to get rid of the people sleeping on their streets, and are ponying up no cash to help that happen. This provides an immediate culture clash, but eventually the homeless are shunted to another neighborhood, and we are left with yet another neighborhood populated completely by the rich, which offers no diversity or interest whatsoever. Then the fatcats living there realize that they've paid an outrageous sum for housing which was merely trendy, and not necessarily suited to them- they will eventually tire of living in close quarters with so many other people, of valet parking their cars in their own home, the traffic, and everything else that makes the upper class move to the suburbs generation after generation. So they sell, and of course expect to make a profit, so we're left with tons of luxury units on the market that nobody who wants to live in can afford.

Yes, I'm projecting here, but it just doesn't seem like the big boom of luxury lofts is keeping pace with the demands of the housing market in a long-term way. Lofts were traditionally a cheap option for those with the skill/time/resources to put in the finish work and the inclination to live in urban conditions. This model seems more sustainable (socio-economically) to me than developers banking on luxury lofts for those who are not as inclined towards this style of living. What happens when loft living is no longer trendy, and the trend-followers want to unload their lofts at prices the rest of us can't afford?

Apr 30, 07 1:42 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Good questions rationalist...interestingly enough the loft trend scene has been in full force for as long as I can remember and it still seems to be burning strong. I wanted to purchase a loft years ago becuase not only do I love the feel of loft space but also because I thought lofts were a cheap option especially for a first time home buyer – boy, was I wrong. In the SF and Boston markets, you can easily pay 300K+ for a mediocre 400 Sq foot studio – simply ridiculous and unacceptable in my eyes. Unfortunately, I do not see the loft space living bubble bursting anytime soon.

Apr 30, 07 2:03 am  · 
 · 

And is it me or has it seemed like Colin Farrell has fell off the face of the earth?

Apr 30, 07 2:55 am  · 
 · 
Katze

Colin who? :)

Apr 30, 07 2:58 am  · 
 · 

It is in many ways cheaper to build your own warehouse and create a loft for yourself, like so many others have done. Its a crazy world but someone has to live in.

Rationalista - love your statements, gentrification is this revolving cycle that constantly seeks out the beauty in poverty making it chic and sucking the soul out of it, in the end selling it to the highest bidder. The world of economics.

The result is that people are left to sleep in the streets and in their cars for no end but a single buck.

Apr 30, 07 3:01 am  · 
 · 
Katze

I just noticed that vado's total comments to date = 6666

do do do do....

Apr 30, 07 3:08 am  · 
 · 

And it will be perhaps ruined with a simple comment about 70s rock...with a youtube video to match.

Vado is a genius

Apr 30, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Katze

...or maybe something inspired from the 1966 timeline...

celebrating 6666 for vado

Apr 30, 07 3:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: