Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I was accepted to Princeton's PhD program just yesterday... I am still stunned by the news. Waiting to hear from 2 other schools. I didn't want to post on the regular acceptance threads, but I just wanted to share.

Mar 12, 07 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Oooooh Smokety, you just awesomizationed this threadness!!!!!

Mar 12, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Arg! to you smart ones.
I like one-sound words more.
This hurts my head now.

Mar 12, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

CCA said yes to me today.

Mar 12, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Big congrats to Smokety! That's pretty sweet.

Mar 12, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 

fo sho' smoke, pretty freaking awesome.

congrats to you too rationalist

Mar 12, 07 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Very well done smokety and rationalist. There are some very, very smart people on this forum.

Mar 12, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Smokety, aren't you already getting a phd? I mean congrats for Princeton, but I'm confused.

Namby, congrats and I will actually try to use your wordism: notificated, Except it kinda sounds like something GWBush would say.

rationalista, congrats on your multiple offers!

diabase is correct: there are some incredibly smart people hanging out here. However, as I'm sure you are all aware, all of you all's amazing academic achievements pale in comparison to snooker's achievement: a heat-activated rendering of his design on a coffee cup.

Way to go, snooker, man. I'm humbled. ;-) (Actually, I truly think it's goofily cool!)

Mar 12, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

lb ... I am currently enrolled in a history/theory 2-year master's degree program. Non-professional, of course.

Mar 12, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Smoke Rocks!

Mar 12, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

get it?

Mar 12, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what's a ky trip?

Mar 13, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Kentucky, puddles.

lb, I was wondering if anyone else had caught that. *I* thought it was funny.

I am still in a post-concert fuzzy, partially buzzed state (just saw the Walkmen) but I wanted to say congrats to Smokety and hello to all y'all. (I am legally allowed to say y'all since I am from ahem, KY).....

Mar 13, 07 1:18 am  · 
 · 

hey, do we get to meet the old fogey?! as lb already knows, i'll probably be lurking around the studio door, unable to stay away despite my 'sabbatical' status.

congrats to all the acceptanceesers who frequentalize thread centralisimus.

Mar 13, 07 7:36 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Frequentalize is good.

Oh man gmail is down and it's making me crrraaazzzyyyyy!!!!!!!

Mar 13, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i say ya'll cuz i went to indiana university which is fringing on ridgerunner country ya'll.

Mar 13, 07 10:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

So I went for a drive today to pick up some lunch and it's very nice outside, probably about 75 degrees and dry. But it's not really "pretty" out since the trees are all still quite barren and they aren't showing signs of sprouting anytime soon. What gives? I want Spring now!

Also I was listening to a little Chk Chk Chk with the windows down:

"You can learn a lot,
by taking your chances....
Yeah, you can learn a lot....
by taking your pants off..."

And I thought of puddles.

Basically I'm doing every imaginable activity to try to take my mind off of that grad school thread.

Mar 13, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

DCA yea I got to do some information compiling myself. I got distracted in all of it when i heard that Ken Yeang was flying through the islands and I was trying to play archi-stalker flying to meet (I missed him by a few hours as my flight was delay, psht)

Mar 13, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

last year flying to Miami from New York, Peter Tosh sat in the Aisle
just opposite of us. Of course my wife had no idea who he was but stiil enjoyed a very nice conversation with him. I was most impressed that he let us go ahead of him when we got off the plane.
Very Nice Rasta Man!

Mar 13, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

nice portfolio too....VERY graphic

Mar 13, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Okay snooker. Peter Tosh died almost 15 years ago.

Mar 13, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Peter Tosh

- are you sure it was him? Not someone else?

Mar 13, 07 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

gawd it is nice out. but of course the office still has the heater running and i am hot. and getting sleepy. i want icescream!

Mar 13, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

peter tosh got murdered when i was in grad school! he is surely decomposed by now. i saw another dead guy at an airport, allen ginsburg. he was alive then though hugging a young man.

Mar 13, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Son of Peter Tosh....lol! It is amazing what a Straight will do for a guy

Mar 13, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
did you say young?
Mar 13, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

i bet none of you guys know who cem karaca was?

Mar 13, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i love it orhan! pass the hookah from the left hand side.

Mar 13, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I've just about bleeping had it with this guy
Mar 13, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Maybe that person's a peon of an oil company, or one of those people who misguidedly thinks sustainability is inextricably linked to deprivation of comforts and luxuries.

So I got into Yale, there's my daily graduate update :)

Mar 14, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 

Orhan thanks for the intro...I was singing along (granted I had no idea what I was sinigng)

Mar 14, 07 12:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

free pizza today from the health plan peeps. should i try a new thread about weather to have cheese or pepporoni or the combo???

Mar 14, 07 11:48 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Given a choice between the weather being cheese or pepperoni, I'd go for the latter - less stringy.

Mar 14, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

congrats on Yale acceptance, nambysurfer.

i'm missing a lunch-n-learn on expansion joint covers 'cause i gots work to do...hopefully there will be leftovers...

Mar 14, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 

I want free food, I'm terribly broke. I just spent $30 on portfolio paper, and now am praying that Staples carries Gorilla Glue and vellum, because I really don't want to have to drive out to an art store for such basic stuff...

I'm REALLY, REALLY nervous for my interview at UW friday! My portfolio's only 60% done, I need to do laundry, and I haven't been sleeping very well. Plus I really don't want to have flown up there to get rejected. I really need this, because UW's the only school I applied to that is a reasonable price. I know that's my fault, but that's much clearer in hindsight than it was in forsight.

Mar 14, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i should a read the email as the free pizza is tomorrow. so instead i am at my crib having a salad and some sesame chips and the beer looks trmpting...

Mar 14, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
AP

well, i did a walk-by and the it doesn't look like there will be sufficient leftovers. almond butter and jelly sandwich it is...

rationalist, i sometimes have trouble sleeping when i'm excited or in anticipation of something. my first yoga instructor (6-7 years ago?!) recommended rhythmic breathing (Pranayama) as a means to calm the mind, slow the heart rate, etc...leading to relaxation and then sleep. I've used this technique since then with success.

best of luck with your interview!

Mar 14, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

oh, the problem isn't getting to sleep, it's staying asleep. I now regularly wake up an hour and a half before my alarm goes off, which the deep conviction that I should be awake and working on my portfolio, or doing laundry, or just refreshing my email in case one of my schools writes me, despite my blatant need for more shut-eye.

Mar 14, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

meh, that's "with the deep conviction"...

Mar 14, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

ratio: Ya the good thing to think about is you will never have to worry about putting together Architectural Project once you walk thru the door into Graphic Design. That should make you sleep better.

Mar 14, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i actually want some thai chicken pizza lb! i know you disapprove being a pizza purist. god it is like eighty in our office. i went and bought a fan to ease the pain. thank god i got beer at home...

Mar 14, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

vado ever had any deep fried pizza? That really is the only sacrilage - but it too is good. Had tandoori chicken pizza once and I tried to recreate it at home - took me 6 hours before I quit.

Mar 14, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

in college they used to give us butter to dip our pizza into...
aaaahhh cholesterol.

Mar 14, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

so its pledge week on pbs. i wasnt watchin til now i was listenin to a ravel string quartet. yes i have surges of sophistication. but get this back to back combo. freakin barely man enough followed by pink floyd. wtf??? who programs this stuff??? and why do they keep showin lawrence welk on saturdays??? my mom and dad watched that but never watched pbs. ever!!!

Mar 14, 07 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
uzshef

Smoke

What firms/offices/organizations have you worked for?
Plus, how are you funding all of this education...via a secret money tree?

Mar 14, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh man, thai chicken pizza is gooood. pizza puritanism is for LOSERS.

-10 points for liberty bell!

Mar 14, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

(just kidding, lb, you're still my hero!)

there's this new chain here in chicago called "Homemade Pizza" where all it is is a pizza counter where they sell unmade pizzas that you go home and pop in your own oven. They are fantastic. And you get to smell the pizza cookin' at your own house! Found out through the telly that the owner is some old friend of brooke shields. Pretty random.

Mar 14, 07 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

DUDE WONDERK YOU'RE COMING TO CHICAGO AND YOU DID NOT EMAIL ME?????????

oh maaaaaan now I'M the LOSER!

Mar 14, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm going to a lovely little party saturday night but NOW YOU'RE NOT INVITED.

Hmph! Hmph Hmph HARRUMPH!

Mar 14, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

p.s. that's 4 posts in a row with no cursing!

....ooh this is 5!

Mar 14, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: