Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

Aaagh I don't have enough chairs!!

But I also don't have enough wine.

Priority problem: wine. Off to the liquor store.

Mar 7, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

actually it is better not to have enough chairs because everybody sitting makes it like a project room meeting. dry. some people standing up or in the other rooms makes it more dynamic. i like the presentations with people standing up. nobody should sit on the chair forever... action is more important. i think you should leave both gus's mess in alone and piled up. i bet you wouldn't be surprised to see how people situate themselves after couple glass of wine. you made a wise decision to get more wine. i knew somebody who was a prez of w-in-a la chapter. a lot of announcements and pr work to complain about.
i hope it helps lb. my two cents

Mar 7, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
AP

wine vs. chairs? wine in a landslide. no question.

i'm enjoying exurban interim, but images of the indy-waia would be archi-tastic...

Mar 7, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 

when did Thread central turn into a remake of Hollywood Shuffle?

Mar 7, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

thread central is anything anyone wants it to be at any given time.

Mar 7, 07 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

is anyone else following the NOLA competition thread thats turned into a conversation between Per/Vindpust and marmkid? hands down the best thread going on right now.

Mar 7, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i sat on a bottle of wine once. not good.

Mar 7, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

No Chairs people either go home earlier or sleep over on the living room floor.

Mar 7, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i think ya have enough wine you forget the fact that there aren't
any chairs.

Mar 7, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra
Mar 7, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
some person

One of my co-workers says, "Meetings would be a lot shorter if everyone were forced to stand during them."

Mar 7, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 

that's an old saying DCA

not sure how effective site meetings would be that way. Especially when you are recording it.

btw does anyone use tape recorders for site meetings, or have a dedicated recorder taking notes?

Mar 7, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Guess they must be partying on at LB'S! Ya Hoo Ladies!

Mar 7, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ah! It was almost off the page again.

Where is lb anyway? I want to hear about the party.

I'm working on some Excel spreadsheets right now....occupancy calculations! Water closets! Lavatories! Wahoo!

Surely someone else is doing something interesting today.

Mar 8, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
AP

today is beer thursday. at 4:30, we drink.

Mar 8, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

wk

i'm reviewing roof dunnage drawings. and earlier i had to call a
door closer manufacturer to ask about the many number of ways
that a door closer can be attached to a door. more unusable
info (for anywhere outside the profession) for my brain.

Mar 8, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Sorry for the tardy party update (that's fun to say!).

Out of 15 RSVP's only 9 showed up. So I've got tons of wine at my house now, along with snacks. Happy hour at my pad tonight!

WIA has a fun fundraising goal this year:

The Indiana Architectural Foundation created a coloring book of Indiana buildings and monuments from around the state. It is an "educational coloring book" that is aimed at fourth grade classes, and comes with a teacher's guide. WIA is aiming to supply two Indiana classrooms with the books by May, so the teacher can use them in his/her Indiana history curriculum in the fall.

This book is so cool, really well done, and most important: gets the youngsters drinking the architecture kool-aid early! Yes!!

We had a very positive response last night and I think will reach our goal. I'm getting a baptism by fire education here, dealing with the networking provided by/required for chairing a committee. I think it will serve me well.

Also, I think I drank more wine than anyone last night. And everyone loved the house of course. Success!

Mar 8, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

a colouring book sounds great. are there any examples of modern architecture in it?

Mar 8, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

I'm trying to figure out what I think of "LEED for Schools", and how it compares to CHiPS, and which we should be nudging our clients towards.

Mar 8, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Also: can we really let it slide by that our sophisticated, urbane AP was a child dancer in a commercial?! Woohoo!

Mar 8, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I've officially finished and I am now counting down the minutes until I am able to leave. My eyes are about to fall out of my head. Why am I still reading the computer screen, you say? No idea.

lars, what does "dunnage" mean?

Mar 8, 07 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

wk

dunnage= the steel that supports hvac equipment...
don't know if that's the official definition..but that's what i'm looking
at...steel drawings/connections that will support three rooftop units
this weekend...or the day after tomorrow (i.e. it's already built, but
i'm reviewing for record..)

lb

is that the actual photo of AP?

Mar 8, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

no, lars, not me...although the real thing may be equally ridiculous.

sophisticated and urbane?! i'm sure i blushed upon reading that...

2 beers in my belly...still at work, will be until 6pm, but enjoying my current task - curtain wall/vestibule/lobby/balcony design coordination.

Mar 8, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
surface

Late in the game -

Steven, congrats on baby!

Vado - I too was an unfortunate-looking child and now I'm glad I have the photos. Bad self esteem day? I look back and think "hey, at least I don't have the eyepatch anymore."

AP - HAHAHHAHAHA

lb - congrats on successful house/party, i saw the photos (if it's what I think it is) and it was BEAUTIFUL.

larslarson - going to visit me at work this weekend? You have to start getting there before 12 :)

Mar 8, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

ss

before 12? where are we kansas? (no offense to those from
kansas..i just assume you go out earlier). perchance i'll try
to make it up there.. hope you're feeling better than the last
time we crossed paths.

ap.
so perchance it was wishful thinking.. leiderhosen and mexico/
fruit drinks didn't seem as though it melded all that well, but one
can only hope. i was just imagining a lot of knee slapping.

Mar 8, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i was once in a ska band called mexican leiderhosen juice.

Mar 8, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

...also my favorite dolly parton song...'mexican leiderhosen
juice' didn't really have the same feel when oasis remade it years
later.

Mar 8, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

today is international women's day. hello. read about it.

Mar 8, 07 7:26 pm  · 
 · 

does anyone play a musical instrument?

Hmm anyhow - went to an art exhibition. Very good work - granted some of the work was obviously rubber stamped by the artists. I felt frustrated and wondered if some of Gehrys clients feel the same way.

Mar 8, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I worked with a Lars Larson years ago our aka for him was:
"LARS LARSON THE FLYING NORSK"

Mar 8, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
some person

dunnage shop drawings... What structural system is the rest of the building? Structural steel? Methinks I should be curious as to why the dunnage is not part of the structural steel shop drawings that I'm currently reviewing... Does dunnage typically come as a separate package?

Mar 8, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

methinks dunnage just spreads the load and protects the membrane.

rationalist - CHPS (Collaborative for High Performance Schools) is a cheaper program to administer and has specific credits for acoustics and more (so, so important for learning). Since CHPS was based on LEED, it can be viewed as an equivalently rigorous rating system but tweaked by educators. LEED is better know in the general population. Some state codes require either LEED or CHPS (CA, WA, NY, IL & MA for the early adapters), so you may not have a choice.

With either rating system, the client and architect wins!

EPA
DOE

anybody have any onion dip?

Mar 8, 07 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

is the month of march "lameass archinect thread topic creation?"

Mar 8, 07 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive...unfortunately i'm busy as hell so i don't have time to post any not-lameass archinect threads. damn.

Mar 9, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

there seem to be more spam posts than usual these days. not sure why, but thanks to elvischyld for the attempts to take out the trash.

i haven't been over here on T.C. in quite some time since i've been wallowing in neurotic misery on the grad school threads. sort of depressing really, but hopefully you're all doing well!

Mar 9, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

tk and dca

the rest of our building is structural steel..i believe the major
columns supporting the membrane should hit the structure of
the building as rtu's are usually pretty freakin heavy. as far as
where/when/and from whom they should come? i'd say the same
people giving you steel shops should be providing them. jmo.

Mar 9, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

that should've said..'the major columns of the dunnage'

Mar 9, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

yea .. puddles is still alive !!! i was wondering..:)

Mar 9, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So is sporadic!!! Yay!!!!!! How's school and married life, ss?

Mar 9, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

vay. sporadic supernova. whats new?

Mar 9, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I was just coming to say, I saw sporadic on another thread.....and there he is.

I don't want to go into too much detail, but I am working on a project right now that has TWO Starbucks in one building, which I just discovered this afternoon. It's disgusting.

But I don't care because I'm leaving in a few minutes! :o)

Mar 9, 07 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

someday there will be malls with nothing but starbucks

Mar 9, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

IT IS CALLED: STARBUCKING AMERICA

Mar 9, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Today was one for the record books... three major submittals were due: foundation rebar, structural steel, architectural precast. I'm exhausted.

And my Building Technology exam is bright and early tomorrow morning. I'm screwed.

Anyways - enjoy the weekend, everyone!

Mar 9, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

DCA best of luck tomorrow. remember to be calm. after what you've accomplished today, the exam shouldn't be that hard. i hope you have studied professor dorf's ways. just be calm when you're calculating the stair widths, head clearances, ramp runs, roof slopes, ceiling heights, duct sizes etc, and don't give up or comprimise anything.

Mar 9, 07 9:36 pm  · 
 · 

also, a sturbuck double espresso or equal would be good before the exam..

Mar 9, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
some person

awww...thanks for the encouragement, Orhan :)

I've been meaning to post about relaxation strategies for ARE testing on the ARE thread. I have found it helpful to have a relaxed routine with no surprises. The only bad part about the graphics portions of the exams is that they all start early in the morning (or so I've found). I much prefer the afternoon exams that allow me to take Metro downtown, enjoy the city/Farragut Square/Connecticut Avenue, and grab lunch at Potbelly's.

(And Starbucks is WAY too far away from the testing center downtown (1.75 blocks))

Mar 9, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i went to two different starbucks this morning...

Mar 10, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

we don't have starbucks. Which is a good and a bad thing. Good that we aren't part of the exploitation of third world nations by forcing them to sell their coffee bulk but with less than market value. Bad because although we are home to the what was dubbed the best or in some cases one of the most expensive coffees in the world (les' the poop coffee) there has been little local marketing of it. This was because it was felt that more value could come out of it if exported and sold internationally. Debatable to say the least.

Nonetheless

a new coffee shop has emerged call cannonball, started by a housewife who wanted to have a place she and her friends could that was similar to the "...bucks" experience. I have adlibed the latter part the former is all true - she said so.

Anyhow its become a chain...opened 2 new branches with similar decor. White interiors, IKEA lights, and a deep red accent wall behind the cashier. It works albeit simply.

I would love to work on one of them. God knows they are getting all my money because its such a good environment to be when you aren't working and would like a place to crash with your friends getting jolty on coffee...and good coffee no imports here.

Mar 10, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

always nice to have visuals

Mar 10, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: