Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

wow, that is pretty crazy then strawbeary. seems rather self-destructive to me, and irresponsible. could be a sign it is time to move on....

congrats steven! is 2nd? or 3rd?

Feb 28, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

2nd and final. our first is only 21 mos!

the new one's a cutie. i didn't bring my firewire or i could upload pix right here at the hospital.

Feb 28, 07 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Congrats Steve!

On a much less important topic, I'm pleased to announce that I've found a new roomie to replace the dude that's moving out. What a change from last time... Posted the ad on craigslist on Monday, showed him the place on Tuesday, offered him the place today, and will hopefully be getting a deposit from him tomorrow. Last time it took 6 weeks to find somebody, so I was fearing the worst.

Feb 28, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Congratulations to Wards.

How's the remodeling job?

Feb 28, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

steven, i like audrey and isadora...not that i matter.

Feb 28, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
AP

Congratulations Steven! Happy Birthday Baby Ward!

Feb 28, 07 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Congrats Steven and Lady Ward! I vote Isadora. Gorgeous name, that one.

I finally resorted to Merlot to calm my grad-school-frayed nerves. As expected, it's working wonders.....

Feb 28, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Heh... I skipped the wine altogether and picked up a decent single-malt scotch on the way home from work. I figure what the hell, it's payday.

Feb 28, 07 11:38 pm  · 
 · 

Apparently, rationalist is to Seattle what WonderK was to LA. There may be a St. Patty's day meetup to coincide with my visit plans.

Feb 28, 07 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

rationalist! I only had MLK Jr. day. Not a big drinking holiday. But St. Patty's Day!?!? I think we all know how WonderK feels about St. Patty's Day. Have a great time and wear lots of green.

I have a present for you. This video was filmed about 100 feet from my front door. Kinda fun. Apparently it was done this past fall too, I have no idea how I missed it. Eh, I guess I do travel a lot....

Mar 1, 07 12:49 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

whoa! slow down there kids. don't go all alky on me...i tell you what i find bizarre, people in MN actually call out from work if they have a hangover from the night before, i have never heard that before or ever done that....it's just wow!

Mar 1, 07 4:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Congratulations Steven. In guessing you won't be hanging around here on Archinect early this morning. I'm up early getting some specs written for an 11AM meeting today. Just couldn't face it last night, too tired.

Mar 1, 07 6:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i feel like carappp today. mixture of horrible sleep and maybe coming down with something drivin down to bloomington for a site meeting and visit. maybe i'll stay awake maybe not...

Mar 1, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

snow!!!!!!!!!

maybe I will have a snowday/afternoon and head home early.

Mar 1, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

just was announced that my office is closing at 2pm... time to hit the books!

Mar 1, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 
snooker

I attempted to post yesterday....and it didn't go thru guess I was feeling so lousy I didn't hit the submit button.

Mar 1, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

still hangin' at the hospital! here's the poor little no-name baby.

Mar 1, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

She looks like your wife. Your first girl is your little mirror image, Steven, but this one looks like your better half! and a little fashion plate already, I see....beautiful.

Mar 1, 07 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

well, hello there, little one.

Mar 1, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

From this thread, my favorite sentence of the day:

It is not one of the Ten Commandments that, Thou shalt not sin, but it might as well be.

Thanks for finding that one, Strawbeary!

Mar 1, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

^ Sin, that is. Yeh, doesn't that statement just REEK of OPINION and BIAS?

Mar 1, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

back from a muddy and rain drenched site visit, i am losing my voice and my body feels like it has been used as a speed bump. urrr.

Mar 1, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

SteveW congratulations to you and the wife. That is a most beautiful baby. I can see the little diva in her already, the way she's posed.

Mar 1, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 

wow what a beautiful baby.

Mar 1, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Congrats!!!

Mar 1, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

awwwwwwwwww soooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 1, 07 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
some person

That little girl is not going to need to wear lipstick for a single day in her life!

Congratulations, Steven.

She looks like an Audrey to me....

Mar 1, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yes,

Well done. Welcome to the wonderful world of the second child, which I am a recent member of also,

d

Mar 1, 07 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

thanks all!

audrey elena ward. final answer.

Mar 1, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Pretty! Congrats again on a beautiful child!

Mar 1, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I'll use my honest arrogance to say that you were waiting for me to weigh-in before naming your daughter, right Steven?

Elena is a beautiful middle name, as well.

Mar 1, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have laryngitis defenitely stayin home tomorrow.

Mar 1, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

pobrecito, vado.

baby is very cute, steven. that makes 2 girls right? i am in same boat and have not won a single argument with my wife since. 3 girls against poor ol dad, and the kids have MEMORISED all the lines their mother uses. it is too funny to hear my 6 year old giving me shit for stuff out of the blue, repeating complaints her mum said days before. then the 2 year old comes over and hits me, cuz she figgers its her job...

kids are wayyy too much fun.

Mar 2, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 

went out with the archi-chick (sexist?)

the one major difference...it makes conversation easy. It became an afternoon of laughter

Mar 2, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm glad to see e909 is back. haven't read any comments, but just seeing the name e909 on the main discussion page makes me smile.

It's not even 10am and my day is off to a crap start. Due to my own scatterbrained inefficiency. Hopefully will get better soon.

Talked to vado a few minutes ago. And that's the truth as I talked while he listened quietly on the other end of the phone - he's seriously got laryngitis! But that shouldn't stop him from posting!

Mar 2, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

850 comments.

ok I feel better getting that done.

Mar 2, 07 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

C- you are in the top 20 archinectors for entries (with 114)! don't worry about postings totals...

All other metrics places you as the top humanitarian archinector and the only TED prize winner. Easily you have the highest number of published/broadcast/ webcast interviews. do I need to continue?

If you need cheering up, we can start a 'for cameron' thread.

Mar 2, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

This is how our day started: Picture of the Back Yard

Mar 2, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive...and i've had a daaar[/]ling time in gr[i]ooosse pointe this week.

Mar 2, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

snooker did you turn around and go back inside until sunshine? Gawd knows I would. But hey I'm an island boy

Mar 3, 07 1:41 am  · 
 · 

big sister holding the baby for the first time:

...and the realization that life has changed:

Mar 3, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
some person

too cute, Steven. She looks like she'll be a good big sister, though.

Mar 3, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
AP

wow Steven, congratulations, and welcome to life, Audrey Elena...

big sister looks instantly more mature than any previous image you've shared with us...as if she is innately aware of her new status.

super awesome.

oh, i'm lovin' philly. enjoying it here very much...until tomorrow...

Mar 3, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

AP - drink a few yuenglings for tk!

Steven - awwwwwwwwwwww, gooooooo gooooooo cooooooo!

hope the missus is doing well too!

Mar 3, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Steven, way to catch that moment of realization. too cute.

Mar 3, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

i think i like those photos so much because your daughter isn't assuming the plastered on ear to ear smile so common of kids when having their picture taken, so false.

And of course those are awfully adorable little eyes.

Mar 3, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 

What does it for me is the cheeks. You just want to pinch 'em, no matter how much you hated having your cheeks pinched as a kid.

Mar 3, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

thanks, all.

superheavy, interesting comment. for better or worse, i'm betting it's because she's grown up with a camera in her face - and she love's it! once she sees one, she's usually more than happy to play to it. something about the red light....

settling in this weekend to TWO babies in the house. so far big sister is ok with things, though she has been acting out a little. i'm going to try to take her out and about today because i think she's getting a little stir crazy hanging around the house with the baby.

mother's fine too, treekiller - happy to be in a new chapter.

went in to work late friday evening just to check up on things. man, it doesn't take long for those who have offered to keep up with your projects to really send things into a tailspin. lots of cleanup to be done. in just two days they managed to:

-order a brick test panel using the wrong brick colors (after i worked on getting the right ones for weeks),
-change the window head elevations around a whole building without checking the implications of that change, and
-allow the contractor to delete a group of (very specifically arranged) exterior louvers which it was determined were no longer needed - but without any compensation/thought for what these deletions would do to the balance of the elevations.

hoo boy. i know it was all with the best intentions, an effort to make sure we were being responsive, but now that we'll actually have to pull back or otherwise work around these decisions, it certainly doesn't reflect well on the architect...

Mar 4, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
some person

Steven, the situation with your co-workers sounds frustrating. Their intentions were probably good; it does not sound like they were trying to sabotage your project. It is hard to step into a new project, but either way, you are still stuck cleaning up the mess.

Recently I've been in a similar situation as sub-contractors have pointed out mistakes in drawings that someone else in my office drew. (The experience is like finding Easter Eggs, but the surprise is not pleasant.)

My office's general policy is that if you are assigned to a task, it is your responsibility to make sure that everything is correct. Ask as many questions and do as much research as you need to in order to ensure completeness and accuracy. Each set of drawings receives a quality control review at the end, but the review is not intended to check every detail.

Thus, I get internally upset when mistakes are brought to my attention. I cannot say, "Oh! That's so-and-so's fault. I'll have to scold him/her when I get back to the office." Instead, I say, "Yes, it should be _____," then spend extra hours back in the office drawing the detail as it should have been drawn originally.

I know that no one is perfect, and there are bound to be some errors. However, it's frustrating to find mistakes that I KNOW were discussed among the team during design.

{end rant}

Mar 4, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

how will the constant digital photo, video, image making by parents change the real memories of the babies over time? now i was an ugly kid so there werent too many pictures of me and we never had home movies or anything but i must say that not having every damn thing i ever did recorded is probably better for me than the vicey versey. these babies will be robbed of their proustian madelaine moments and will eventually feel cheated. or not.

Mar 4, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: