Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

brian buchalski

i could have sworn myriam was from the northern detroit burbs. oh well.

Oct 3, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

figures. i start school and fall off the edge of the world and thread central explodes. ugh.

Oct 3, 06 1:15 am  · 
 · 
myriam

puddles, my american fam is from the northern detroit burbs. well gross isle if that counts. my michigan geography is a little hazy.

haha, weird, acfa, I was just about to put a post up here about how I've been missing you in TC lately.

Oct 3, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 
myriam

Actually the fam is from detroit proper but of course they live in the burbs now along with all the other white people, haha.

I don't know too much about detroit but have been trying to absorb and glean what i can because i find it interesting. actually i really found your comments the other day on that thread about detroit thoughtprovoking... they made me want to do some research into the city. Hopefully i'll get to know it better once I move to the midwest and can drive around to visit family.

Oct 3, 06 2:12 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DubK I've been watching a little of Studio 60 (I missed it last night, will try to catch the rerun, and the Modern Major General sketch alst week was quite clever) but mostly it just makes me miss Sports Night too much.

Oct 3, 06 8:31 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

doesnt anybody care that i may be getting married and moving to england???

Oct 3, 06 8:54 am  · 
 · 

willya send me a t-shirt from that bar called 'heaven' in london, vado? oh, and congrats.

Oct 3, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens...

Oct 3, 06 9:23 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

vado- I already hoisted a pint for you. but congrats again. then again, my mates in ol' blighty have forsaken the tradition of matrimony and are all living in sin with kids. So if you do cross the pond, do as the english do...

wK- what elegance and numerical perfection!

as for those pesky roots- kill the suckas. gotta live up to my name.

Now if I tried to do my wifes laundry- she would throw a fit. the first year we lived together, she wouldn't let me do my own since it interfeared with her 'system'. A few years later down the road and at least i get to wash my own clothes again, when I want to.

Oct 3, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

vado, will you bring your four kids with you to England?!

As you may guess some of us are sometimes sceptical that every word your write is true....but if this move which has been a possibility for you for some time now is actually about to come to pass you know I will throw you the best-ever bachelor party before you leave (as a woman-friend am I allowed to do that?!)

Oct 3, 06 10:23 am  · 
 · 

xactly. (jimmy scott's version of that song is beauteous.)

Oct 3, 06 10:24 am  · 
 · 
AP

ya, i didn't think you were serious vado. best of luck.

Oct 3, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 
AP

oh ya...did I piss any of you off in the BArch thread? things seemed to get a little catty in there...not sure why exactly...

Oct 3, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

AP, we can share the love of the crush thread.

Vado- tell us more! Who is she? How'd ya meet? Is she tall? Is she an architecture geek? Does she drink beer? Does she....

Oct 3, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

LOL wonderk ... love the ratio ..
knowing you , you'd probably stay there for a while ..
I know you love seeing those figures ..!!

Oct 3, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

and i know i'm supposed to be posting more now that I'm back in school ... but this first week has been so hectic ...

I'm really being sporadic now !!

Oct 3, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

and i know i'm supposed to be posting more now that I'm back in school ... but this first week has been so hectic ...

I'm really being sporadic now !!

Oct 3, 06 11:53 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

myriam, i'm flattered that an intelligent cartoon like yourself found my comments thought provoking. unfortunately, it seems that thread has died. thanks mc5

oddly, a friend of mine thought that the "mc5" was a reference to the #5 value meal at mcdonald's fast food restaurant. i about died laughing when i realized that.

Oct 3, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

AP- don't worry about it. We BArch-ers are just defensive about it, because we took a really hard route for schooling, yet it's not looked at as being as valuable as the 4+2 because it's only a bachelors and not a masters.

Oct 3, 06 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

today's quote from my page-a-day:
"People who are even-tempered, placid, and untroubled - secure from violent passions or temptations to evil - those who have never needed to struggle all night with the Angel to emerge lame but victorious at dawn, never become great saints." Eva Le Gallienne, theatre founder

Oct 3, 06 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Where's my angel?! I need one!

Oh wait - here he is! Thanks for your kind words lletdownl and it was a pleasure to see the building through your eyes!

Great quote, Strawbeary.

Oct 3, 06 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

hip hip, hoorah! everyone hug yourselves, you've all helped make my last couple weeks semi-tolerable. lots of not very pretty shit has been goin' down in my cartoon universe, and i've been very thankful for the laughs and thoughts i get from archinect. it's been a long time since i've had archi-friends, even imaginary ones, and it's great to be once again having conversations about the stuff that moves me most.

you're all a huge step up from lawyers and accountants, is what i'm sayin'.

hooray! give yourself a pat on the back!

Oct 3, 06 5:52 pm  · 
 · 

way to make your real archi-friends feel like crap...

Oct 3, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

here's the skinny. she is 5'10" half puerto rican, a rower, eight years younger than me and doin a phd at cambridge in postcolonial literature. she has put up with me off and on over the years.

Oct 3, 06 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

congrats vado-video!

eat some bangers and a pint for me.

Oct 3, 06 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i gotta lose about 10-15 pounds first.

Oct 3, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

you taking up rowing?

Oct 3, 06 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

vado, go back to grad school. i dropped fifteen pounds my first semester...and i'm not that big to begin with. years later and i still haven't recovered my pre-grad school weight.

one of these days i'll be a fat old architect like those men i grew up admiring...in the meantime, i'll just keep dreaming

Oct 3, 06 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

vado in a row boat. -that's great steven

i always pictured mr retro as more of a figure skater...or maybe ice dancer is more appropriate.

merlotch!!!

Oct 3, 06 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and rama lama fa fa fa

Oct 3, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i be ice dancin on your grill!!!

Oct 3, 06 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tk and sporadic, thanks.....I do love seeing those figures but even I can't stay away for too long!

also thanks to myriam again for trying to hook me up with a Pittsburgh tour guide. Unfortunately this is impossible working 11 hours a day :o(

Also, puddles, I knew what you meant when you said MC5.....it was one of the few valuable things that I picked up from my now-former temporary man-friend. Before you guys feel bad for me though, don't....I am back to seeing the guy that I was dating before the dumb man-friend came along! It wasn't the prettiest break-up though. Let's just say that I used the phrase "strap on a pair".

Oct 3, 06 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

"Strap on a pair" - DubK I always knew we would get along on a deep emotional girl level. You rock.

Oct 3, 06 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

how do you strap on socks???

Oct 4, 06 12:05 am  · 
 · 
myriam

re: marriage in the uk: yay, vado, you were serious! what enormous fun, good luck!

Oct 4, 06 12:34 am  · 
 · 
myriam
Oct 4, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

(myriam, i loved your response to the SCIArc/ CalPoly inquiry)

Oct 4, 06 1:12 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks myriam but i would just live there not get married there. prolly get hitched in nuevo mexico...good answer to the soc k question

Oct 4, 06 1:18 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

looks like there's some junk in da trunk

missing everyone in TC. vado in my mind is not an ice skater but a 70s roller derby champ.

Oct 4, 06 1:55 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

me thank vado was an elvis impersonator...

Myriam, if I could afford them, I'd be buying my wife pairs at agent provocateur - oo la la.

Oct 4, 06 10:07 am  · 
 · 
AP

thanks treekiller:

Access to this web page is restricted at this time.

Reason:
The Websense category "Adult Content" is filtered.

Oct 4, 06 10:27 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i cannot skate, except on this ice.

Oct 4, 06 11:01 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Vado, I was checking in on my all time fav. blog this morning, and I think you would enjoy the new entry. Check it out!!!

Oct 4, 06 11:04 am  · 
 · 
AP

i was sent this joke via office-wide email this morning:

A man is flying in a hot air balloon and realizes he is lost. He reduces height and spots a man down below. He lowers the balloon further and shouts: "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised my friend I would meet him half an hour ago, but I don't know where I am".

The man below says: "Yes you're in a large red hot air balloon, hovering 30 feet above this field between 40 & 41 deg latitude and 120 and 124 deg West longitude".

"You must be an Architect" says the balloonist. "I am" replies the man. "How did you know?"

"Well" says the balloonist, "everything you have told me is technically correct, but it's of absolutely no use to me and I still don't know where I am."

The man below says, "You must be a contractor." "Well yes" replies the balloonist, "but how did you know?"

"Well", says the man, "You don't know where you are, or where you're going and you've made a promise that you can't keep but now you expect me to solve your problem; and you're in the same position as you were before we met, but now it's my fault."

Oct 4, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

tee hee hee-

AP, try the link when you get home - but don't blame me. I'm just an architect.

Oct 4, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

ya, it's all good. i can't watch vado's youtube links (or anything from Channel Archinect) at work either (streaming media is also filtered)...i've gotten used to looking from home, on my stolen wifi connection.

Oct 4, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thazz some awesome stuff chili.

Oct 4, 06 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

just wanted to say hi.
i am going to see a craig ellwood house after it was painstakingly restored/remodeled. probably another one of those "i snapshoot craig" in the works, by next couple o days.

vado, congratualation but now tina is on my ass. i keep saying whats the difference?
well sometimes she dodges it sometimes i. so it goes. the elongated living together verbal contract. not for everybody though...

Oct 4, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

so I might be going to Chicago in November for a Sadie Hawkins bike race. pretty much going to be a quick bike-and-beer centric trip, so my sight seeing time will be at a minimum. if I were able to see only 5 things there, what would you all recommend?

Oct 4, 06 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan, I'm right there too. The 'man-friend' and I have lived together for over four years now. When we moved in together, we thought for sure that we would be getting married as soon as I graduated. But by the time that happened, we'd realized things about where we wanted to be and what we wanted to do that made that much less certain. Even though I tell myself I know we can't get married, that it'll all end in under a year, I still get jealous when friends of mine get engaged.

Oct 4, 06 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: