Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

liberty bell

I just want to say publicly re: the new ads at the top of the pages: I don't mind them at all and I totally understand the point and need for them. I hope Archinect does what needs to be done to keep this place available for us all. Maybe I need to buy a few more T-shirts.

Oct 2, 06 12:11 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Speaking of which, has anyone anything to enter for the delineation comp? I wish I did. Once a passion... put way on the back burner.

Oct 2, 06 12:14 am  · 
 · 

glad you got things sorted lb. data loss sucks big time. also glad you is digging firefox. you gotta go through the add-ons for the real goodies. navigate with the mouse andauto-copy are my favs.

rationalist, don't let your beau get you down. my wife has over the years, sort of accidentally learned who koolhaas, steve holl, and others are, but i don't think she likes having those names in her head. i say accidentally because in general she thinks architecture is not very important and doesn't like it much when i show her a project through 20 stages of design development. which is understandable. nowadays i take her to a built project or two and keep my work to myself as much as i can. this is both a good thing and a bad thing, but is def not personal. she just prefers that we talk about our kids instead of zaha hadid. ;-)

Oct 2, 06 1:46 am  · 
 · 

Maybe archinect should team up with Threadless to do a cool t-shirt?

Oct 2, 06 2:00 am  · 
 · 

my wife, after 8 yrs, still knows very little about architecture, but she enjoys some of the pilgrimages (e.g., calatrava in valencia on our honeymoon and gaudi in barcelona).

she has very little idea what i do all day, but she CAN relate to the project management aspect of things because it's similar to what she used to do.

understanding comes with common ground. she gets it when i talk about project delivery and management of a project team. i think she still gets a vicarious thrill when i bitch about what others are doing/not doing. doesn't get it at all when i get all freaky about what a restaurant's reflected ceiling must have involved or start hating on materials which mimic other materials. then she just rolls her eyes.

Oct 2, 06 7:29 am  · 
 · 

oh, and, yes, liberty and i had a wonderful visit. we used some breakout time during one of our meetings (supposed to be working/brainstorming) to visit the gallery where all of the rex/museum plaza design presentation materials are exhibited, ran through the galleries at 21c, our museum/hotel, and checked out some other architectural gems along louisville's main street.

i'm thinking chaptertwo hasn't been to louisville (and it's not lousiville).

Oct 2, 06 7:35 am  · 
 · 
AP
...doesn't get it at all when i...start hating on materials which mimic other materials...

a pet peeve of mine. I work in an office that has arch and i.d., and while our interior designers are quite talented (I would never denigrate them along the lines of the one i.d. fights back thread), they still have a propensity towards some integrity-less materials.

Oct 2, 06 8:50 am  · 
 · 
AP

chaptertwo = gatorboard

he can spell LA.

Oct 2, 06 8:55 am  · 
 · 
myriam

My man-friend has a great appreciation for architecture (and to a lesser extent, art as well) without actually wanting to know the details of it himself. He's sort of an "enjoy the experience" kind of archi-voyeur. I think he just gets a kick out of seeing his girlfriend get all wacky and passionate about a plain concrete wall. It works well for me, I dislike dating people who argue with me about architecture, and this one buys me books and takes me on archi-tours!

Oct 2, 06 9:14 am  · 
 · 
e

treekiller, here is are some pics from my backyard that i took in july and that have been posted here before. not all plants are native, but i do try to focus on them. not to mention when you buy a house that already has a garden, you have to work with what you are given. i have added much to what i bought and continue to tweak it moving bed to bed. actually, the garden looks nothing like it did when i bought the house.

i have no rain barrels as i find them to take a lot of space for the benefit. i have a small lot and it usually doesn't rain here when you need to water your beds, and when it does rain, the bed don't need me watering them. i do use soaker hoses in all my beds for a slow long soaking that limits runoff, the amount of water lost to evaporation, and water on the leaves of the plants. i also have my own composter.

Oct 2, 06 11:35 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

E- I remember your great pics from before... I'll second that when you rent, you gotta work with the landlords plants. OK, while I sound like a native plant zealot, I'm more moderate in practice. I just don't have patience for using whatever plants, with out a good reason. Most of Los Angeles's LAs don't show much rigor and logic in their plant selection. That's my peeve more then not using natives. I like plants that think.

Oct 2, 06 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
e

treekiller, sorry if i was not clear, but i own the house. the previous owner was a gardener too. therefore, i adopted the garden, and changes happen differently than if you are given a blank slate. for instance, that weeping cherry tree in the pics would not be a pick on mine, but i got dealt that hand. sure i could cut it down and probably will one day, but i just can't bring myself to do it right now. the bigger a plant the more difficult it is to bring yourself to rip it out.

cherry and plum trees are prone to brown rot in the northwest. this comes from the cool, moist weather in the spring. the tree looks beautiful when it flowers. the flowers start to die back but do not fall from the trees. they inhabit a fungus that then starts killing the leaves all the way up the branch. you really have to keep an eye out for it and prune it out asap. here is a case where the previous owner did not think or know what she was planting.

Oct 2, 06 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

e- my bad. I was rushing to finish that post before driving my wife to her job.

gardening is about small incremental changes, like you're doing...

For a landscape architect, I don't have a green thumb. I keep on killing all my houseplants by not watering them. At least with the current yard, we get enough rain to make up for my lapses. I'm looking forward to the spring, when I'm planting a vegi garden in back and maybe some prairie grass out front...

Oct 2, 06 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, maybe one of you guys can tell me- how do you get rid of aphids from a succulent? My mom said you're supposed to wipe down the leaves with soapy water, but the care guide I'd found on succulents said 'NO water on the leaves', otherwise they rot. Is a little wipe-down ok, or is there a better way to get the little buggers off there?

Oct 2, 06 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
e

rationalist, i'm not sure about water on succulent leaves. in genral, most plants do not take well to water on leaves. ideally, you should water the soil only. plants, like tomatoes and roses, that don't do well with water on leaves are best watered in the morning so that the sun can dry the water off and so that water does not sit on the leaves as the cooler evening temps arrive.

your mom is correct that, in general, soapy water does the trick. i always opt to the least invasive solution first. my plum tree gets aphids every year. i hose it down with just water in the mornings and let the ladybugs feast on them. ladybugs love aphids, and i love ladybugs. this usually does the trick for me.

i would try the soapy water and put the plant in a sunny spot so that it can heat up. you could also post something at fine gardening

Oct 2, 06 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks, e. Unfortunately, ladybugs just don't make it into my apartment. I'm not sure how the aphids got in for that matter.... I can only think that there were a couple hiding on it when I bought it and they've bred, because this has been an indoor plant, and there's nothing else for aphids to feast on in there.

Oct 2, 06 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

rationalist, you can buy ladybugs at some plant stores, but probably not this time of year nor do you probably want more bugs in your apartment. good luck.

Oct 2, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I wish I had aphids! I'm dealing with the seasonal invation of asian beetles (yes vado, a song would be called for at this moment), which are not ladybugs.

my local garden center recommended vacuuming them up- so I've been trying with my 'electric' broom. they stink when swirled around in the canister...

ok, they don't harm much (unlike the aphids) but they are bugging the wife.

Oct 2, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

On native plants, Was talking with a native dweller the other day about how glad I was that Denver was so lush, when in reality it should be a dustbowl. I commented on the great gardens here and the city projects that planted lots of trees and built great parks. I think it was the first time that this person realized Denver would be a dustbowl with some stubby grass and sagebrush.
I like to do that. Sometimes people are so used to things, they take them for granted.

On another note, I bet there are some awesome native plants in the Pacific NW.

Oct 2, 06 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I miss my stubby grasses and sagebrush and yuccas and live oaks--- now I'm stuck in a state that can't figure out if it wants to be a lush forest or a drier prairie. What they consider a drought here would be luxurious out west!

Oct 2, 06 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

oh treekiller, you're so cute and unemployed.

Oct 2, 06 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

land of 10,000 lakes? I'd say it's pretty lush.

Oct 2, 06 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Myriam - glad my wife doesn't read archinect ;-) but thanks for cheering me up. I'm working on the unemployed part... only so many interviews one can go on each day.

compared to Cali, this place is lush, but compared to say... florida, it's a desert. and they are complaining about drought - those 10k lakes are still full.

Oct 2, 06 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am looking forward to minneapolis winters, springs, summers and falls.......i want to snowboard - never done it, ski - never done it, ice fish - never done it, rock climb - don't know where, but never done it, bike, hike, camp....etc. after the year i had i am ready for all of this - it's what happens when you get control of your life and make a healthy change for the better.

Oct 2, 06 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

persimmons on a picnic table; bloomington, indiana

Oct 2, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

best porch:

Oct 2, 06 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Beta- Lets go ice fishing with A... maybe we can invite some of the WI and Chi-town 'nectors along too!

The skiing is at southern or the northern ends of the state, but 800' hills are considered big mountains around here... even NJ has bigger mountains then that.

Good luck with the packing, what is it? 25 days to go?

Oct 2, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

killa - reserved the movers, car shipper, and purchased boxes today. now to hire the professional loaders. we should be on our way on Halloween...could be fun.

hell yeah, invite the entire midwest, a day's drive for everyone!

Oct 2, 06 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

That is a very inviting porch, vado.

I am stuck at work, finishing invoices that I didn't have a chance to do all day. Can't let them wait, it's already the 2nd of the month... argh! I want to go home so bad... it's so quiet here.

I too will be driving to the midwest on Halloween. We leave early in the morning, get to drive straight across upstate NY, stop briefly at Niagara Falls, and on to Chicago, woohoo!

...I have nothing packed yet. Nor have I bought any boxes. Or finished taking pictures of my work. Argh.

Oct 2, 06 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

hip hip vado! great porch! now the both coasts will think that every porch in the midwest has cast off 1970's vinyl chairs and wind-chimes. wind-chimes?

Myriam- now I'm confused, are you a bostonian or chi-towner? Good luck with the everything, moving is hell.

ANYBODY ELSE MOVING???

Oct 2, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I'm NOT a "Bostonian"... hahaha, I shudder at the thought. I live in Boston right now, but am moving, for various and sundry reasons. I leave on the 31st. Will be putting my stuff in storage in Chicago and heading home to California for 2 months. Then likely I will be moving permanently to Chicago at the New Year. :)

Oct 2, 06 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

M- Ahhh, got the california girl thang going... never met any west-coasters growing up in bean town. remember that every post you make at work, is a post you can't make from home...

So is this a man-freind inspired relocation or your idea? I know that my mid-continental displacement falls securely on the shoulders of my wife (she got a great post-doc), and Beta seems to be inspired by the woman too.

Oct 2, 06 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i might get married and move to england. its the truth.

Oct 2, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

cheers!

Oct 2, 06 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
e

ha, i just got a call from my brother and he is getting married. 15 months from first date to engagement. he's a happy boy. congrats lil brother.

Oct 2, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

It may or may not be partly, in a very, super-small highly unimportant and meaningless way, a man-friend inspired relocation.

...I gotta find SOMEONE to cook for me, sheesh.

Oct 2, 06 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

e- congrats on the big two niner hundreth posting!

m- well if you want hotdogs cooked for you, then chicago has potential! so is the man-freind making the move too?

Oct 2, 06 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

The man-friend lives in Chicago. I am a silver preferred dividend miles member, hotcha!!

Oct 2, 06 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

so can he cook?

(yes - i'm pushing for a new page on TC)

Oct 2, 06 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think vado is mad at me because I keep slamming on Indy on the small big citiesthread.

vado if there were more people like you in Indy it would be a super-cool city, hows that?

Oct 2, 06 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

omg, I should just give up and go home. I can't concentrate for shit on this. Doesn't help that we don't have an office standard for timesheets yet and figuring out invoices is a monumental task of interpretation.

The M-F cooks extremely well. He's from Baton Rouge. I think everyone from down there cooks well. Also he was in the Navy so he cleans, irons, plans meals, does the shopping, makes the bed... it's like having my own (very manly) wife! You've never seen someone fold clean clothing until you've seen a Navy man do it. I've never seen a pile of shirts get put away so fast in my life. He even folded my underroos for me, and normally I don't even keep them seperated from my socks.

Oct 2, 06 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i;m not mad at you lb. personally i'd rather live in the sticks on a couple of acres of land with some big dogs and a .22 to shoot cans with.

myriam maybe he'll take you to see the u-boat at the museum of science and industry. now those german sailors could fold some laundry...

Oct 2, 06 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

That's my dream, vado. Now if only I could find me a neo-nazi parade in Chicago...

Oct 2, 06 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

stop in and see matthew hale when you get to illinoize...

Oct 2, 06 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

treekiller and e> my best friend has a weeping cherry tree in her back yard and they just discovered that the thing's roots grew into her sewage line. Needless to say it's been a bit of an issue lately.

Sorry for the completely irrelevant post but I'm trying to play catch up here.

Oct 2, 06 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

plants are still a hot topic. So is chicago (which i'm going to for thanksgiving. well actually naperville, but will have to go to the city too.) Also of topic is a man-wife, which every good archichick needs. I came home from work late and my hubby had my laundry going.

Oct 2, 06 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
e

wonderK, i have a 20' cherry on the other side of my house. it's roots have also found their way into the sewer line. i have to have it snaked out every year or else. one year i'll scrape the $2k together to have it fixed, but it won't be this year.

Oct 2, 06 9:39 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

myriam , Chicago is notorious for parades of all kinds (at all times), so I don't think you will have to venture far to find a neo-nazi parade…

Oct 2, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
some person

Strawbeary - I'm jealous of your trip to Naperville. The downtown/riverwalk district is so charming. Even the sprawling outskirts - like near Rock Bottom - are great. And Metra stops there, too - what more could you ask for?

Oct 2, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK
*trumpets blaring*

This is my perfect post! I have acheived a righteous ratio!

40:1600

In honor of this occasion, I am sharing one of my favorite recent photos from London with you.

On a side note (this is TC, after all), has anyone seen Aaron Sorkin's new show, "Studio 60"? I've really been craving some intelligent drama and after watching that show, I've come to realize that Sorkin is 100% reliable for good TV. It does make me miss The West Wing though :o|

Oct 2, 06 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: