Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Sarah Hamilton

OK, I've been working on something, posted here that I would like some input on. I do value your opinions.

Jan 26, 09 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Liberty I side with you, trousers without a belt just looks odd. Granted I think women can get away with it, as I have noticed fewer and fewer of their trousers are made with belt loops. I do find belts worn on pants without loops to be well...loopy. The few exceptions are shorts and jeans worn with your shirt out covering said area.

Jan 26, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 

SH,
Is that for your husband?

Jan 26, 09 11:54 am  · 
 · 

I like the personized (??) tool/h.

Jan 26, 09 11:55 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thanks. That was his idea. I just want to make sure it works well as branding, you know. So many logos are easily forgotten, or dont tell you anything about what they stand for, which makes them easily forgotten. I know this seems small, but is actually a BIG part of whether or not a business will succeed. Right?

Jan 26, 09 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

that logo thread is trippy says its two pages and comes up the same as the first, weird.

I just read Wonder K's 25 things it gave me a good monday morning/afternoon chuckle - thanks!!

Jan 26, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

This is an excellent, fabulous casual belt look, worn by our own sartorial master AP:

I wore a skirt and stockings today for the first time in months (excepting the holiday party evening) - when the weather is cold all I want is jeans, but Michelle O. has me thinking about dressing nice again!

And yes, the guys at the jobsite basically asked "Why the hell are you dressed like that, here?" as I knelt on a blanket to trim a candle sleeve with my utility knife. They can't deal with me looking like a girl.

Jan 26, 09 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Now I've gotten us all spending far too much time thinking about beltloops, let's move on: The Snuggie.

..it's the raiment of the zeitgeist..." says AdAge. I've been scoffing at this thing since day one, because, as I explained to my husband and his buddy Jeff last night when the ad came on, though it certainly looks warm (a huge plus for me as I'm cold unless the temp is over 74), if you're trying to look sexy for your SO that blanket-with-arms thing just doesn't work. Then Jeff said in this wonderful drawl "Depends what you have on under it."

So, the Snuggie: smart sexy loungewear?

Jan 26, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LB, you're probably too much of a distraction.

Jan 26, 09 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

HAHA, Sarah, should I start wearing a Snuggie to the site? (Kidding, I know we were cross-posting)

Jan 26, 09 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh my. While I must admit, I can see the utility, and have often wished blankets had holes to stike my feet out of when the rest of me was cold, that man just looks like a monk. Maybe its the beard. But even if the wearer were naked under, I think it would still be decidedly un-sexy. Its like a large terry-cloth bathrobe, on backwards. Those are not sexy, ever. Nope, nope. Just not sexy. But no one needs to be sexy all the time. And besides, if its cold enough to warrent the use of a snuggie, then its far too cold to be worrying about such things anyway. Simply snuggle, as the name suggests, sip hot cocco, and relax.

Jan 26, 09 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
peridotbritches

Unless two people can fit up in the snuggie, I ain't sold on it.

Jan 26, 09 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Snuggie! Yeah, I love Snuggie talk! This is going on my Facebook page.

Jan 26, 09 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. I'm sorry I talk so much about Facebook. It's basically one of my only other sources of excitement (besides here) when I'm chained to my computer non-stop. I am dealing with a troll on the link that I just posted there though - about politics. Big surprise. Similarly I'm dealing with a decades-old political war between my Mom (a flaming liberal) and her older brother (an evangelical neo-con) in email. Why is this happening? Can't I enjoy Obama for like, a week, without having trolls bother me?

Jan 26, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

I met Mantaray on Sunday. We hung out for about four hours! Manta you are incredible. Funny SuperSmart and Stunningly Beautiful!!! Thanks for the Crepe and sorry I kept you from your RFP!!!

Jan 26, 09 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god I'm so jealous! I need to go to Chicago and meet the gorgeous mantaray!

Hope you had a nice birthday vado!

Jan 26, 09 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

i don't tuck in my shirts either, in case that helps.

that blanket thing is freaky. very monkish.

japanese think cold is good to toughen the spirit. when i was doing kendo every day we had special winter morning workouts in gym (gyms are unheated in japan btw - because point of being there is to ensure heat is self-generated). kendo is barefooted sport, and it was DAMN cold, but we would be so hot at end of workout that steam would be rising off us all like cold fire. looked totally kung-fu awesome when we sat down to do mini-meditation and thank teacher. then we would have some miso soup and head of to start the day. i am not sure if that is weird or cool, but explains something about japanese culture...and why i can't imagine snuggie here. no, japanese cute product culture is much more kinky.

sounds fun, WK. at least you have family with different opinions. in my family its all evangelical all the time. i hate having conversations with family where my opinions will be met with fervent declarations that they will pray for me so that god will change my point of view to the correct one. ick.

Jan 26, 09 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

vado, you need a napkin? i see some spittle hanging from your lower lip...;]

Jan 26, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

jump, i like the 'tonkatsu senate'. we might now change ours to 'congress'. i never really liked the french name martin (he is german) came up with. we should link our meetings someday to see which side can drink more beers and fix architecture...

Jan 26, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh jump, don't take this the wrong way but I'm glad you're in Japan. I can't imagine being subjected to that by my family or anyone around me. I wouldn't exist. Like it or not, political convictions form a big chunk of who I am.

Also I'm glad you're here, LOL. I'm glad everybody's here. Dammit, when are we having our Archinect conference!?!

Jan 26, 09 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I'm still alive.

Jan 26, 09 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

oh, get this, my former eemployer decided that they'd delay our 401k safe harbor payment. it's moved from March to September, so, in a sense i am being asked to bailout my former firm, by giving them an interest free loan? how'd you like that?! insult meet injury.

Jan 26, 09 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
n_

That's it, I've lost all faith in humanity.

Rising costs bite into Girl Scout Cookie portions.

Jan 26, 09 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I spent $70 on Girl Scout cookies this year (two neighborhood girls in two separate troops). Guess I can't complain about slightly fewer cookies per box as I really, really don't need the calories!

Steamy Japanese workouts: both weird and cool is my verdict. My partner always recalls that his apartment in Japan was so cold he could see his breath in the morning when he woke up. NOT for me - ugh.

Jan 26, 09 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

[url=http://www.gapingvoid.com/Moveable_Type/archives/000932.html] How To Be Creative
[/url]

How To Be Creative

1. Ignore everybody.

2. The idea doesn't have to be big. It just has to be yours.

3. Put the hours in.

4. If your biz plan depends on you suddenly being "discovered" by some big shot, your plan will probably fail.

5. You are responsible for your own experience.

6. Everyone is born creative; everyone is given a box of crayons in kindergarten.

7. Keep your day job.

8. Companies that squelch creativity can no longer compete with companies that champion creativity.

9. Everybody has their own private Mount Everest they were put on this earth to climb.

10. The more talented somebody is, the less they need the props.

11. Don't try to stand out from the crowd; avoid crowds altogether.

12. If you accept the pain, it cannot hurt you.

13. Never compare your inside with somebody else's outside.

14. Dying young is overrated.

15. The most important thing a creative person can learn professionally is where to draw the red line that separates what you are willing to do, and what you are not.

16. The world is changing.

17. Merit can be bought. Passion can't.

18. Avoid the Watercooler Gang.

19. Sing in your own voice.

20. The choice of media is irrelevant.

21. Selling out is harder than it looks.

22. Nobody cares. Do it for yourself.

23. Worrying about "Commercial vs. Artistic" is a complete waste of time.

24. Don�t worry about finding inspiration. It comes eventually.

25. You have to find your own schtick.

26. Write from the heart.

27. The best way to get approval is not to need it.

28. Power is never given. Power is taken.

29. Whatever choice you make, The Devil gets his due eventually.

30. The hardest part of being creative is getting used to it.

31. Remain frugal.

32. Allow your work to age with you.

33. Being Poor Sucks.

34. Beware of turning hobbies into jobs.

35. Savor obscurity while it lasts.

36. Start blogging.

37. Meaning Scales, People Don't.

37. When your dreams become reality, they are no longer your dreams.

Jan 26, 09 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I finally picked up the new glasses:

Jan 26, 09 11:04 pm  · 
 · 

Gin looking very sharp!! I do think you chose right. They don't scream architect, more like a subtle whisper

Jan 26, 09 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Gin, they look great! Supercool, understated. Man I need glasses, my prescription is so out of date, but I think due to economics I might have to just get new glass in my old frames.

Jan 26, 09 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Yeah LiG I like those on you!

Trust me, it was a pleasure (and honor, although he would scoff at that!) to meet vado as well. He's as dapper, distinguished, and absurd in personal reality as he is in virtual reality. And he needs to move back to the Big Time and bring the menagerie of libertybell, mr. libertybell, angus, and future libertybell puppy with him. Hell bring all of indianapolis, we can handle it.

Jan 26, 09 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

that RFP took me all of 25 minutes this morning, including email time.

Jan 26, 09 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

it would have taken me longer just to get to work via train over the weekend. this is why going in to the office on the weekend is often kind of pointless...

Jan 26, 09 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

thanks manta! going to the office is often pointless(and not just on the weekend!)

Jan 27, 09 12:23 am  · 
 · 

sadly true vado.

sounds kool orhan !

WonderK, I am glad I am here too. I have been thinking about returning home and that whole neo-con thing is something to think about. Mind you, when i say my family prays for me they do mean well and are not belligerent about it. They are genuinely afraid for my soul. So I am kind of touched. Since I don't believe in souls it is no difference to me, but we have all learned to not talk about politics, nor religion. I am black liberal sheep. baaah. What worries me most is exposing my children to that culture. I mean it REALLY worries me. I don't want my children to be that closed and afraid.

LB, yup totally correct. gives the term "morning breath" whole new meaning...I actually like it very much that my house has no central heating and that we don't have heat on at night. That I live in the most energy efficient developed country in the world is totally kool, and if that means i know the temperature outside in the morning because it is the same inside, well i can live with that ;-)

to be honest, that is not how it needs to be. the no central heating thing is brilliant. the lack of insulation is just plain dumb. Japan is totally weird that way. advanced and pre-historic at the same time, all the time.

Jan 27, 09 2:12 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh jump, you totally touched on all of my hot spots lately. My Mom's older brother tells her that they are praying for our souls as well. And although I think I still do believe in some sort of higher being, on some level, I don't feel that my soul needs praying for. In any case, getting mad about Rush Limbaugh has taken up way too much of my mental energy so I'm shelving it and starting anew tomorrow.

And about that insulation....gosh, having done all of the research that I've done for this thesis, I'm amazed that we just don't use more insulation in our structures. Honestly we could save so much energy and money if we just used a little more insulation! In some parts of the country, this could even mean - gasp! - no HVAC whatsoever. The possibilities!

Jan 27, 09 2:53 am  · 
 · 

Hi all,
I hate central heating. My roomat eis a always cold born in the tropics person. Plus he has a very thin comforter so always wants the heat at at least 70-75 F. Personally i am fine with none at least when sleeping and even when not i can always wear a sweater.

Regarding insulation we do live in an old cracker style house (in fact since moving to north Florida have only lived in cracker style houses) and there are very thin walls and practically no insulation so it does get quite cold on the inside when it gets down (very occasionally, liek just last week) to the teens for a night.

Also, apropos of the belt conversation I am wearing suspenders today. What should i have done worn a belt with just so the loops aren't naked?

Jan 27, 09 8:14 am  · 
 · 
****melt

We got our first REAL snow fall today. New tires rock.

I rarely wear a belt (I only own one), but I also rarely tuck in my shirts. When I do though, I wear one.

jump - I'm guessing you all dress in layers. I don't mind the cold as long as I'm dressed properly. I've been wearing my thermals a lot of late and have been noticing that I don't turn up the heat as much at home and sometimes I'm even hot at work.

Gotta run.

Jan 27, 09 8:32 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

put me firmly in the "i hate central heating" camp. I am currently sleeping with my windows wide open and it is somewhere around/below 0 at night.

i think i've mentioned this on here before, but having heat on in the car makes me want to stab someone. I HATE it.

Jan 27, 09 9:03 am  · 
 · 

you don't want to ride with me then, manta. i love car heat. since the heat is just generated from air passing across the engine, driving to work with the heat cranked is like free respite from the cold of my house.

Jan 27, 09 9:14 am  · 
 · 

no central heating is easy to do in tokyo cuz its like seattle/vancouver weather but with sunshine. no central heating in place i used to live was harder, but not insufferable.

we have a "hot carpet", basically electric blanket but stiffer thing that we put under area rug in living room for winter. It works like floor heating and is brilliant. we also have a portable gas heater which is amazing. we have plugs/sockets of gas in all the rooms and a gas heater to connect to them that is like 1 ft square in size. plug that thing in and turn it on and the flat is toasty in no time. in winter we use it most mornings and nights but rely on thermal gain from our floor to ceiling type south facing windows in day time. In summer the heater goes away and the plugs are sealed away under stainless covers designed to be closed flush with the floor or the wall. it is ingenious. to cool ourselves in summer we do use AC for peak season but also have benefit of natural cross ventilation. shallow rooms with windows on both sides, balconies that self-shade the living room, dining room and master bedroom, and trees out the window to reduce heat in area to begin with. Its all there. But only because in the 60's the architect was forced to work all this stuff out. So sad that when i tried to copy the same ideas in my office the developers figured I was nuts and they didn't want any of those new fangled ideas ;-).

did i mention we have heating on demand for the water, a toilet that flushes grey water, and instead of heating the toilet room, the SEAT is heated? And this is all standard stuff here. Really. some things about japan are amazing.

except the insulation. not sure what happened there. ;-)

Jan 27, 09 9:32 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Jump.

We want pictures!

Jan 27, 09 10:39 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

We keep the house at 75 right now. Last winter, we left it at 58 (I was pregnant). But this year, since Abram won't stay covered up, we just keep the house warmer.

LB, you never said...Did you get the puppy? Did you crack?

I have a headache this morning. Dreamed I was struck by lightning, and there was a tornado. Strange, huh.

LiG, the glasses look great on you.

Jan 27, 09 10:40 am  · 
 · 

i dream of 75! our t-stat stays at 68 - which means that our old house probably stays at around 60 - 65 except within a 5' radius of the t-stat.

Jan 27, 09 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'd kill for central heat and A/C, or at least something I can control with a thermostat. I live in an old apartment building with steam heat, which seems to come on once every two hours whether it needs to or not. When it's on, the apartment is about 10 degrees too hot for me; when it's not on, it's about 10 degrees too cold. Also, when it's on, the radiator makes a loud rattling sound nonstop... Difficult when I'm trying to sleep at night.

I generally prefer having the windows open whenever the weather permits, but then I have to deal with all the street noise from Broadway, which runs behind my building. When the weather is nice enough to open the windows, the weather is also nice enough for all the local hoodlums to hang out on the street all night, blaring their car stereos. The noise situation isn't as bad as my last place in Brooklyn, but it's still a major pain in the ass.

Jan 27, 09 10:53 am  · 
 · 

jump investigate that insulation, it must be for a reason or some precedent. Perhaps the use of solid timbers in construction didn't allow for it or something. Interesting enough - I would not of thought about it. We don't use insulation here either but it is weird, not for cold obviously, but from the heat. Most roofs have no insulation so inside tends to be about 5 degrees hotter in the evenings (unless say you have a cedar shingle)

Jan 27, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

so i just went through my mail after getting back from my birthday weekend. first piece of mail??? funeral insurance! wtf???

Jan 27, 09 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm totally with Steven - thermostat at 68 which means my desk is about 63 typically, and I drive with the interior air temperature at about 80...WHILE wearing a jacket, scarf, and gloves.

I've said this before but I dream of a situation like yours manta - I'd spend the entire winter in shorts and a t-shirt surrounded by tropical plants if I didn't have to pay for heating!

jump thanks for your description. That is the amazing thing about archinect for me - I can hear the most mundane, but to me interesting, details of how someone lives in Japan or Jamaica or Copenhagen.

Sarah: pending approval by the foster family after they visit our home, we will have a new dog this weekend...

Jan 27, 09 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

I usually keep my house at 68 during waking hours in the winter. At night I turn it down to 60. In the summer I try to use the AC sparingly, I usually just open up all the windows and turn on the attic fan. Works quite well actually.

Got a call from my mom this morning... apparently my birthday present is ready and she wants to go pick it up on Saturday. It's a scooter (orange Genuine Buddy). She wants hers back. Did I mention we're supposed to get anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of snow by tomorrow evening?

Jan 27, 09 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yeah that blizzard we had last night was like one inch of powdery light snow. of course somebody managed to drive into retention pond...

Jan 27, 09 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

HAHAHA vado!!!! I know. We actually got about 3 inches here. Though the roads were snow covered it really wasn't all that bad. Unfortunately we're supposed to get ice... and that just sucks.

Jan 27, 09 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Gmail is sooooo slow for me the last few days - anyone else having this problem?

Jan 27, 09 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: