Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

tgv11

so much hatred
and trying to link parallel with me is old

Jun 14, 06 6:37 am  · 
 · 

maybe not the place for this, but it'll do...

schematic design was given approval yesterday for a big project on which i'm working - a school board building and an alternative school for the same school district and the courtyard and site development around them - kind of the beginning of a campus hub.

problem is, i'll be teaching at the governor's school for the arts for the next three weeks and they've set the deadline for design development to be presented to the school board in four weeks.

aye aye aye aye.

Jun 14, 06 7:11 am  · 
 · 

hey lb, maybe we can have the studio as audience for some working design meetings if i can talk my design team into coming to lexington? [only half kidding...]

Jun 14, 06 7:12 am  · 
 · 

tuf problem.

out of curiosity (i used to work in an office that did lots and lots of $lightly high-end open-plan schools) what qualifies as an alternative school steven?

Jun 14, 06 8:39 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Steven if you need a day off to design something, let me know. Or you could just be like one of my old professors, who shall remain nameless, but who liked to bring his work to school and basically have his students do it for him. That always aggravated me a bit. I appreciate the confidence he had in us to do the research and work I guess, but he would then take ownership of it. Um, no.

Jun 14, 06 10:40 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Steven just give me the plaster, old electronics, vine charcoal, tarpaper, concrete, garbage bags, burlap, and jello and I'll keep the kids busy while you tele-conference with your design team across the room. Put on some Bauhaus and the kids will get a fantastic architecture studio experience!

Jun 14, 06 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

what do you do...

when a friend asks you to take a look at their school project for comments and you think it's really not so good? as in not just needing a few tweaks, but the overall concept and intent not being good at all. what's the tactful thing to do?

Jun 14, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

You ask LOTS of questions. Don't come out and say "this is bad, bad, BAD!" but make sure to ask the questions you know they can't answer so that they'll hopefully come to that conclusion themselves. Ask not only what the concept is, and how each feature relates to the concept, but what it is that that concept gets the user at the end of the day. This is where most projects that need a total overhaul tend to fail in my experience, and really driving home that point that your concept needs to get you something can prompt someone to re-explore their concept.

Jun 14, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
adso

Rationalist, any news on the USC Dean selection? I figured there would have been an announcement by now.

Jun 14, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

I would have thought so, too. Inside sources tell me that the committee has delivered their recommendation to the Provost's office, but refuses to tell me what that recommendation was. What good are inside sources if they won't tell you any of the juicy stuff, I ask?

I would personally be happy with any of the candidates except for Quinyung Ma. He seems great, and would probably be a great studio instructor, but we've already got someone running a bit office and our graduate program (Scott Johnson), and everyone can see how well that's going. I wouldn't try it with a dean.

In related news, Mark Rios has ditched the Landscape Architecture program there. Sad, because he was great, but understandable, because he wasn't getting the support he needed to build up the program.

Jun 14, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 

you guys are great at supporting a guy who's backed himself into trouble.

an alternative school is something triggered by no child left behind - a separate school for those kiddos who can't be trusted in the normal school environment: includes criminals, violent-actors, suspendees, expellees, and other tuff kids.

Jun 14, 06 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

posted on Yale Blows April 30 by me. Its a good idea i think.

the only way to settle this bs about the quality of schools is to have a knock down drag between them on this site. all students attending any school bring your best and it will be decided here. nuff said. it will be judged by those who have contributed to this site. ie more than 2000 posts. until then everyone shut up about which school is best.

Jun 14, 06 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i'm down.

Jun 14, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
AP

um, in a few posts, that is.

Jun 14, 06 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

Anyone else just realize (with the return of one of the graphic design threads to the top of the page) that in all the Yale Blows commotion, we completely forgot about soulikeit?

Jun 14, 06 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

steven,

man that sounds like boys town, but scary. i was imagining something like the eden alternative (you know for healthcare design)...

is georgie-porgie's no child left behind any good?

...i think the kids here just go into the mafia or enter construction after compulsory ed ends at grade 9...mind you i suspect even the mafia expect their staff to be able to read...

Jun 14, 06 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

students at stevens school.

when you're a jet
you're a jet all the way...

Jun 14, 06 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Gee, officer Krupke!

Jun 14, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Yale Blows has blown. I hope my pig's arse* had something to do with it. Hopefully, I am not also banned.

*not my actual arse.

Jun 14, 06 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

wow, i totally didn't expect that to work!

the people have spoken.

good night.

Jun 14, 06 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

it did go out with a bang though....

Jun 14, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Jun 14, 06 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

aw, hell

Jun 14, 06 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

what happened?!? it's gone?!? for real? I missed it......

i do suddenly feel as if my skin isn't crawling anymore, so it must be gone.....

Jun 14, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Strong work, guys. I was laughing my arse off there at the end.

Jun 14, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

where have all the monkey's gone???

Jun 14, 06 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the power of monkeys

· 
el jeffe

i'm happy to have seen it implode first-hand.

· 
vado retro

or, its a beautiful day on the archinect...

Jun 14, 06 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Good riddance to that freaklishly awful thread. I was posting this when the thread died ...

Jun 14, 06 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

post it on my new thread. yale blows monkeys!!

Jun 14, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

that's a pretty sweet Sasquatch there, Smokety. So what sent it over the edge? The last thing I remember was something about Space Manuals...

Jun 14, 06 11:54 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i was wondering what you had posted there smokety - i like how it/he/she walks off the edge of the page...

Jun 14, 06 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Please, for the love of god, if anything bearing any resemblance to that previous ugliness rears its head aorund here: ignore, ignore, ignore - just move on.

'night everyone.

Jun 15, 06 12:01 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

wonderk i wanna hear about your monkeys

Jun 15, 06 12:03 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am just completely confused. And dammit vado, don't bring it up again!!! Monkeys or not! I prefer midgets anyway.

I'm off to watch a Coulter vs. Carlin on the Tonight Show. I hope he punches her in the face. Night....

Jun 15, 06 12:13 am  · 
 · 
upside

i go and do some work for 20 min and i miss it... never seen a thread die

Jun 15, 06 12:36 am  · 
 · 
e

today is a good day.

Jun 15, 06 12:49 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

"yale blows" is dead !! .. wow ...

"oh .. it's a happy daaaay ....... and I thank God for admin power..."

Jun 15, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 

wow. I sort of wish I was there for the end.

Jun 15, 06 1:37 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

yeah ... makes me wonder ... what was the final straw !!!

Jun 15, 06 2:07 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Sorry LB ... gotta do this !! :)

WonderK, I want to hear about your date!

Jun 15, 06 2:08 am  · 
 · 

page 26 went fast.

Jun 15, 06 7:05 am  · 
 · 

lb is either just now leaving or just about to leave. wish her luck everybody! somehow i'm going to have to make up for the stimulating conversation that you guys provide every day.

but first she has to do cpr training...

Jun 15, 06 7:07 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

GOOD LUCK LB !!!!!!

Jun 15, 06 7:13 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova
Jun 15, 06 7:19 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

damn ... someone resize that ... and tell me how to do it !!

Jun 15, 06 7:20 am  · 
 · 
tgv11

Smokety

awful as in truthful

Jun 15, 06 7:21 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

I had no idea you could resize an animated GIF on photoshop. The things you learn on archinect!!!!

Jun 15, 06 7:37 am  · 
 · 
AP

sporadic super-cpr-er: this has been done before, but here goes,

after the image code, which usually ends with .jpeg or .tif etc... enter a space and then the following

width=416

the space is crucial. it won't work otherwise.

then close the code with a bracket, as you would normally.

your turn (when you wake up)...

Jun 15, 06 9:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: