Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

A Center for Ants?

wow... orhan, are you starting to write the great american novel? cause that was a nice start.

Jun 19, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm not back, sporadic, just checking in. Cool downtown cafe tonight is packed to the roof for open-mic night which was horribly bad when I came in but kinda sweet now. Saw a big band jazz performance at schoo tonight - everyone was swinging.

Young minds, how do I open them without making them cynical or scattered? It's really fun so far. Challenging, in a way that feels really good and like I haven't felt for a long time. Keep this in mind: sometimes the key to getting really exicting work is to severly limit the amount of time allowed to produce it.

Night all.

Jun 19, 06 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Schoo - it's kinda like school, but cooler.

Jun 19, 06 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Dang LB !! ...

poeple still play "big band Jazz" ??? ... wow .. I'd have loved to see/ hear that !! ..

oh well .. have fun ...

goodnight

Jun 20, 06 12:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Kinda slow on here this week. My computer crashed. Who knew PCs could just "lose" system files. Bastards.

Jun 20, 06 8:24 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

who wired my espresso machine to the 480 panel!!!!!

ORHAN!!!!!

Jun 20, 06 9:54 am  · 
 · 
AP

Jun 20, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

anybody ever stuck their face in a toilet and flushed? it's kind of a cool feeling...but i only suggest doing this with a brand new (i.e., un-used) toilet

Jun 20, 06 10:43 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

tank or flush-valve?

Jun 20, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 
cf

American Standard (of course) 2221.018, Madera Water Saver Toilet with Olsonite #95 open front seat.

Jun 20, 06 11:18 am  · 
 · 
garpike

So it's come to this? Face-flushing? Self-swirlies?

Jun 20, 06 11:52 am  · 
 · 

lb and i leave for a few days and you guys start talking about toilet tricks?! no fair!

Jun 20, 06 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

my head hurts...i'm going back to bed. somebody tell the receptionist to hold all of my calls.

Jun 21, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

but puddles, will she let us know you're still alive?

Jun 21, 06 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

uh oh...

he's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack

Jun 21, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

per, over the years here, has single handedly declared all other structural systems known to men 'silli', except 3D-H...

what do you guys think of his art gallery where he uses his famous projector and projects his artists' work on the wall across his house?

Jun 21, 06 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
Silli Romans . Think about it, have these epoxies ever been anything but trouble, promises never realy fulfilled ?

Epoxies! You've let me down for the last time! I am fed up with being a silli Roman!!

Jun 21, 06 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
AP

from broccolijet:
vindpust -- the way your comments vacillate between sentient thought and complete nonsense is absolutely mesmerizing...

beautiful.

silli Romans. Epoxies are for kids!

Jun 21, 06 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Galleri Silver Screen
Jun 21, 06 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

proud to be a silli Roman

Jun 21, 06 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

wtf ? ... Vindpust is Per ? ...

I think I tried making a decent convesation with him once !!! .. maybe I didn't ... oh well ... 3D-H this ... 3D-H that ....

Jun 22, 06 1:00 am  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

we have spam attack on archinect !!

gool !!!!!

Jun 22, 06 5:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Um, yeah, what sporadic said...what exactly is going on here with this gool character?

One of the GSA students referred to me as "that Donna lady" to another instructor - you may all start calling me that now.

Steven and I are exhausted but speaking for myself I'm feeling very invigorated by the students. It's really fun. Gotta go look for some images of unfolded boxes. Later kids.

Jun 22, 06 8:06 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

go get the gimp.

Jun 22, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes get him before he catches me on comments!!!

Jun 22, 06 8:42 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yeah what's going on? He joined yesterday and now has 140 comments. Yikes. Did he spam 140 different threads or did he make repeat appearances? That's just not cool, gool.

Jun 22, 06 8:57 am  · 
 · 
myriam

lb and steven, I saw My Morning Jacket play with the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall last night. pretty surreal and cool! Thought you guys would like that.

Acfa, you and your epoxy comment made me laugh out loud. hahahahaha

Jun 22, 06 9:19 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

it took me three days to get 140 comments!!!

Jun 22, 06 9:25 am  · 
 · 

The BNP strikes back at us

Jun 22, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

kill the brain kill the gool

Jun 22, 06 10:06 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Whew. The natural order of things has thus been restored.

Jun 22, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

sigh... now Per/Vindpust is going on about how epoxies and airplanes are "flamable" or something....

Epoxy, you keep dissapointing me. You never write. You never call. You close your eyes when we're in bed together... why.....
*sob*

In other news... someone from China is trying to make a grand entrance on archinect. Bold much? Or just cultural differences? Or just a case of:

14/f/china a/s/l??!?!? OMG! 2kOoL!!!

Jun 22, 06 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

(oh, and what was with the gool thing? i just got here and don't see any of this chaos and mayhem you describe)

Jun 22, 06 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
adso

The grammar in that China thread is going to be something spectacular.

Jun 22, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OMG! chinesetracy and vindpust might be Per-fect for each other!!!!

ACfA, "gool" was a spam-bot that spammed most of the threads on the front page over night. Lots of links to strange web sites, etc. 140 posts in the span of a couple of hours. It was ugly. Thankfully someone took care of it.

Jun 22, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

nevermore and vindpust rule.

i think nevermore is going to help vindpust further develope his idea. and, vindpust is going to realize that he has to get to work rather than yakidayak all the time. in turn, i think vindpust is going to build a nice boat for nevermore who will not accept the boat but ask for cash money instead, causing a disagreement between the two parties. this is also the time when i come in. the parties will meet half way on the map, under the wisdom of islamic know-how for conflict resolution. session will take a place inside 700 years old building in istanbul. in that meeting, my judgement will be final and either party is going to reimburse my expenses + the one time justice fee which will be around 15% of the agreed boat or cash prize...
also will be discussed in that meeting, the inclusion of a 3D-H system in one of nevermore's new cities free of royalty fees if he chooses to do so.

i am really excited...

Jun 22, 06 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

different story;

today plans were approved by city of lakewood and the remodeling project is permitted for construction. some might remember this project where i had to challenge the planning dept for roof designs and shared my experience here.
it is my first project where i stamped the drawings as a registered architect. i am the draftsman too. double happiness.
floor plan
it is a mainly open it up job w/ two 12' fleetwood sliders and clear lexan sheet enclosed decks on either ends flush with interior level.
the owners are baseball coach for local hi school and she is a retired delta stewardess, no kids.

Jun 22, 06 5:28 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan, why not put the door to the laundry room off the corridor to the bedrooms, opposite the door to bathroom #2. Why carry the laundry through the living room?

Jun 22, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

thanks superimpose. thats the way its gonna be. actually this morning on the way to plan checker it was down on me to do something like that. but my idea was to put an additional door to the bedroom hallway by moving the machines to the side. that way somebody discreetly arrive and leave the bedrooms. but definatly change the door as you suggested. laundry room adj. to bedrooms where the laundry originates and returns to. i should also do the laundry door on the entry side a flush installation. ja ja ja... thanks stephen, mucho.

Jun 22, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wonder, I am here. But this new job makes Archinect quite difficult. The eyes... they watch.

Jun 22, 06 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oooo... I am still top 20. Wooooo! Wait, not Woo Hoo Day yet is it?

I see per returns in spirit.

Jun 22, 06 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Orhan, cool model!

One thing from me: is the area at the rear of the house a backyard? If so, why not switch the mbath and closet to be able to put more windows into the mbath? seems a shame to have a long dark bathroom.

Jun 22, 06 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

or reconfigure, i guess... i'm a huge fan of built-in closets within the mbath area, thus fewer doors into the bedroom... but that's not always fea$ible. ok, i'll pipe down now. btw your portfolio is inspiring.

Jun 22, 06 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

quite nice project orhan. look forward to seeing images.

Jun 22, 06 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

thanks myriam and jump.
myriam, i do have a window and skylight in the long bathroom and it keeps going back and forth w/ switching the clo and bath. it might happen that way. i've done a long and narrow bath before and satisfied with the result.
the yard is really exposed to leftside neighbor where privacy was sought by doing that long and narrow layout. now we have a smaller but more courtyard like backyard that deals with very site specific issues like the individual neighbors and placement of their buildings.
aahh . i love the process from this point on. adjusting all the bolts and always improving the ropes...
thanks again those points are definetly improvements and points to go over during framing and rough in time.
all in all, this is a typical example of whats being done to tract houses in los angeles. this type of arrengements are slowly making their permenant way into vernacular, like the loft types made it in new york housing. most small remodeling projects in so cal are variations of this plan and context and program. we are not talking hi end designs but working people being open to knocking the walls down and opting for open plan if they are introduced to them. they are also very aware of ikea kitchens with aluminum frames and colored glass.

my life with the tract housing. a 1500 sq. ft. home and people are happy with that. i think it is good and it is not all gated communities taking over the country. long live the tract housing remodels and smaller homes.

Jun 22, 06 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Orhan I am madly in love with your model/photo rendering. So cool, so informal but useful.

I am also madly in love with the incredible work and dedication these students are showing. I wanted to post an image of their wrapped chair projects here but my camera battery hath done died tonight. Will post Saturday. DubK, we will see you tomorrow!

Jun 22, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yay! I am off to inspire young minds with liberty and Steven.

Also, yay! garpike is here. and orhan, the whole picture didn't load for me, but what did load looked great.

I have spent a good part of my morning entertaining some of our interns. In fact I told one of them about this site and he is trying to figure out what my screen name is. Er, I guess I just made it easier for him. Meanwhile I am trying to come up with nicknames for them. Interns are so much fun!

Furthermore, I believe tomorrow I will be purchasing a Mac. Screw PCs.

I'm out. Have a good one!

Jun 23, 06 11:46 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Yeah, Orhan I like your Photoshop work. Wasn't until I looked at the image full size that I saw the cardboard. Old school!

Jun 23, 06 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wonder I am "here" but not here. Shhhhh... Is my boss watching? Ugh.

Jun 23, 06 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: