Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

brian buchalski

almost forgot, but yeah...i'm still alive.

Jun 23, 06 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
mad+dash

in reference to the gnarls barkley thread->>>

I think it completely sucks that the people on archinect are so
high-browed that they don't respect other peoples' music taste.

If that mixed-caps writing person enjoys it, they should be allowed to write a friggin' post about it. If that person likes writing in mixed-caps, that is fine also.

half the people that log on to this site are almost retarded to begin with, so what's the deal with a post about gnarls barkley?

p.s. I did not post the gnarls barkley thread under a different alias but I do like typing the name gnarls barkley. it's kinda fun.

Jun 23, 06 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

YoU R sO RiGhT!!!

Jun 23, 06 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

i just got into ann arbor last night, nice place. 800 miles and i managed to run out of gas once which was humbling. it is flat here, mostly. i have 3 days left before stepping into the pits of studio. what would you do if you only had 3 days of freedom left? (that sounds like something fox would try to make a tv show out of "what would you do... if you only had three days left?" and then you see each ethnically pigenholed yet 20 years old and attractive character trying to figure out what they're going to do. mom, dad, i'm going to climb that mountain! i'm going to stop being an emotionally abusive wretch and finally treat my wife and overly precocious child well! i'm going to go to medical school so i can save people... in 3 days! and some shitty music is playing in the back.. adn after one horrible season they will all have learned something important about themselves. and then they'll find out that they're actually gonna live for six days for the next season.)

i don't know about the typing in mixed caps thing.. it's kinda like shouting in a library or something... or talking on a cell phone in a library, i've seen that happen a few times lately. as one of the almost retarted people on this site, i take offense at being associated with the gnarls barkley thread, i have not even read it.

Jun 24, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

okay the urban lifestyle... someone in the building across from me is cranking out some sonny and cher. i have never heard any of the songs that have played so far. no hits that i recognize. but sonny does sound a lot like bobby zimmerman. the song playin now has this sort of mid eastern balaklava thing going on. perhaps a precursor to gypsies tramps and thieves. now you know why people move to the burbs.

Jun 24, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

colcol, go into Detroit and see some abandonment. Or go down to Toledo and see the little Gehry building there. Or, if you are up for it, go to Cranbrook and see the grad school you really wanted to attnd...hahaha just kidding. It's not for everyone. Ann Arbor is a neat little town, 3 days just wndering around it could be fun - I think there's a full-sized T-Rex skeleton installed in one of the science buildings. Good luck with school.

Nothing urban here at Transylvania University (where the GSA program is happening). I took so many pics of our students building models with jello that my camera battery died - will have a charger on Monday and will try to post some pics. I'm exhausted in a really good way - this morning's workshop was an explanation of structure and meaning in African-American spirituals, a musical form I have always loved, and was incredibly illuminating and joyful. Significantly better than hearing Sonny and Cher's greatest hits from across an alley.

Jun 24, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the neighbor followed up sonny and cher with madonna's greatest hits and then with peter paul and mary and then with janet jackson. then i went out for some beers.

Jun 24, 06 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

used to watch sonny and cher on the telly. them and tommy hunter and the irish rovers were a family favorite. somehow i remember them all playing on sunday night but that can't be right.

not related, but my friend and regular collaborator shinji ohmaki recently opened an exhibition/installation in the Takenaka gallery here in tokyo. it is a sculpture made of about 200km of hanging string.

my daughter loved running through it pretending she was swimming in a magic ocean( so did i ).... the people walking through the sculpture are heading to a back room defined by the strings, which turn into a wall on the other side. very nice.

Jun 25, 06 7:31 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, that's beautiful. I once saw in installation in NYC that was a room waist-high full of balloons. The only way to get to the gallery was to walk through this room. It was so fun and made black-clad hipsters turn all giggly and un-self-concious about enjoying it.

Your room, jump, is similar but much more beautiful and metaphorically charged: cloud, landscape, reverse of gravity, hiding in the jungle...lovely. And I'll be the room has a cotton/string smell. Thank you for showing it.

Jun 25, 06 8:50 am  · 
 · 
colinrichardson

thanks for the advice lb. i already did a bit of exploring in what once was detroit. i'm planning on stopping in toledo in august on the drive back, i will add the gehry building to my itinerary.

ann arbor is fun. i'm subleasing a room for the summer, with a bunch of stoner kids who seem like they might still be in high school. i guess that's what happens when you go for the absolute cheapest place on craigslist. my big plan for the day is to see the new al gore movie, i'm seriously psyched.

jump, the instillation looks really fun. it's beautiful, but it must be 10x better to expierence in person.

Jun 25, 06 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

OMA job posting, again? I say it lasts only one day.

Jun 25, 06 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I give it until Tuesday afternoon, or until someone with +/- 15 awards applies for each position, whichever comes first.

Jun 25, 06 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

15? Pshh.. that's nothing.

But seriously, Tuesday? I'll take that bet. I say it's gone by Monday night - say midnight PST?

Jun 25, 06 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
sporadic supernova

Jump ... thats an incredible installation ..!! i would love to run through it too ...

but is that the only one at display ? .. or does he have more installations?

Jun 26, 06 12:39 am  · 
 · 

hi sporadic.

shinji is starting to become a bit famous here so maybe he will get a chance to do more and bigger pieces like this, but for now, just the one installation. if interested he has done similarly scaled installations though that you can see on his website.

there are smaller pieces (including a video installation that i created from his construction sketches) in the room beyond the strings. It took him about 3 months and a plethora of assistants to get even that much done. turns out that 200 km of string is quite a lot of string to be cutting.

it is an amazing experience though, epsecially as you walk through the strings to find a small air pocket in the back corner where you really feel like you have entered a personal cocoon. quite impressive.

Jun 26, 06 2:17 am  · 
 · 
French

Jump
That's beautiful. Where was this and is it still being exhibited?
I whish I could this it. Is it a gallery? A collective exhibition?

Jun 26, 06 4:35 am  · 
 · 

french,

it opened last wednesday and is on display til early august at "gallery quad" in tokyo. the gallery is a bit odd as it was created by takenaka corporation, a super gene-con (basically a huge construction company with architects on staff) with a reputation for ocassionally doing quite good architecture. you know, hasselhof's new workplace.

anyway, they often incorporate artwork with their buildings as a matter of policy and so set up a small (independent) gallery in their tokyo hq to showcase up and coming talent. shinji is the most recent artist to do a show there. since his work tends to be spatial it fits their approach quite well.

Jun 26, 06 6:52 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

jump, in addition to the exhibition, the pictures themselves are gorgeous. Did you take them? If so, well done.

Jun 26, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

PS. I just read the OMA job posting and I find myself somewhat offended. As if there aren't plenty of candidates out there who would do just as good of a job or better who haven't won "several awards". Does "several awards" also mean that you inherently have a great work ethic and the temperment to put up with an egomaniacal Dutch bigamist? Just curious. I'd like to know.

Jun 26, 06 10:50 am  · 
 · 

it might. ;-)

pics are mine, wonder-k. thank you for kind comment. the young lady and the kid with the yellow dress are my wife and youngest daughter...the oldest is somewhere in the strings...

Jun 26, 06 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

thanks for the show jump. and please take this with sincerety of my scewed mind. the artwork reminded me going through my friends carwash (automop) under the influance. it was like closest i came to being directly inside the roll of film. like interactive performance piece. like a rolling stone. those were the days. i'd definetly check it out if the installation was in los angeles.

arif mardin passed away. a musicians treasure.

Jun 26, 06 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

rem is an achiever...

Jun 26, 06 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

nice flashback orhan. sounds like fun.

so we have arif to thank for the bee gees, aretha franklin and rod stewart. cool.

Jun 26, 06 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

achiever i said. the bums will lose the bums always lose...

Jun 26, 06 8:05 pm  · 
 · 

Still alive..... does anybody here remember who the architect was on that house on the Venice boardwalk, that's mostly glass but has a granite water-wall in front? My friends and I were wandering the boardwalk drunk on Saturday night/Sunday morning, and couldn't remember. But it was a great view, just hope we didn't wake up the tenants going, "Not Toyo Ito... Tadao Ando? Yeah, It might by Ando. Probably. Unless it's that other Asian guy..." in voices amplified by alcohol.

Jun 26, 06 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

atoine predock

Jun 26, 06 10:00 pm  · 
 · 

ahhhh, we were COMPLETELY wrong. Thanks, Orhan. I never had a good head for history.

For those who are wondering, I meant this one...

Jun 26, 06 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
parallel38

hmmmmm..........

Jun 26, 06 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i saw the prawnster was on the cover of record this month. i said to myself, self if they mention the prawn and his vintage motorcycles within the first paragraph then i will not read the article. presto. i think it was sentence number two. so, how was the article?

Jun 26, 06 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Richard Devore passed away today. His work is amazing and he has been a father figure for my husband who was his student. I am very sad and the art world has met a great loss.

[img]http://www.artincontext.org/images/BAG/0000/BAG0002D.jpg width=418[/img

Jun 27, 06 12:50 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

fuck.

Jun 27, 06 12:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

clay flesh

Jun 27, 06 12:53 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jun 27, 06 12:56 am  · 
 · 

beautiful LB.

tomorrow i have a presentation that will decide how i spend the next 6 months. i hate doing presentations like that. ah well.

Jun 27, 06 8:12 am  · 
 · 
AP

those are very sensual, lb...i mean... the creasing/folding/dimpling action makes the artist's hand very present...

sorry for your loss (and your husband's).

Jun 27, 06 8:44 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i'm in a conference call right now!!!

Jun 27, 06 9:06 am  · 
 · 
AP

garpike, it's tuesday, 10:43 EST and counting. OMA posting still up, and, in addition, re-emphasized as a news item at lunch time (PST - archinect time) yesterday...

Jun 27, 06 10:44 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

do not resond unless you are completely qualified!!!

Jun 27, 06 11:19 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yesterday afternoon, while trying to figure out what work I could do, this thread inspired me to finally go and register for my new web site. As I mentioned on it, I had been kicking around the idea for a while but my thoughts crystallized yesterday and I went for it. Eventually, when I get it up and running, I'll probably share it with you for constructive criticism purposes. But for now, I'll keep it to myself....

Also, the myriad of threads about macs and pcs are really reaffirming my decision over the weekend to buy a MacBook Pro. I just wish it didn't send me back into red ink!

I've actually found work so I should probably do that.

Jun 28, 06 9:10 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Just poking in here to plug my Mac firms thread. Please, please post the firms you know--especially in Chicago. Spread the word. Ask around. I'm desperate. And I stay up at night and get anxiety attacks (literally) from the thought of having to switch platforms to PC at my next job if I can't find something, anything that uses Macs.

Please, please, please. And WonderK: EXCELLENT DECISION! You will NOT regret it. I went $3000 into credit card debt when I graduated in order to by a suped-up PowerBook to do all my portfolio work on--got a good rate to finance it (0% for 6 months!) and to be totally honest the ease of use and speed that I was able to work on the portfolio totally paid for it, in my opinion. The same computer is still running beautifully 3 years later and I am happy as a clam!

--myriam incognito

Jun 28, 06 9:20 am  · 
 · 
AP

...don't you have a pretty sweet job already?

Jun 28, 06 9:52 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

I do :( I don't want to leave it. Hence the anxiety. It's just that my family lives in California, my boyfriend in Chicago, and I'm getting way too lonely out here in Boston. I've been here 3 years, and I love the town and more importantly my job, but I can't enjoy them anymore because I don't have the people I love here to enjoy them with.

Jun 28, 06 10:08 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

...also, whoever said that clams are happy?! What an odd saying. If anything, they strike me as nervous and cold little creatures.

Jun 28, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Speaking of which, if anyone wants a pretty sweet job in Boston...

Jun 28, 06 10:10 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i miss boston...alot, but i'm rather content being alive right here for now.

Jun 28, 06 11:56 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

oh...and yankees suck...as if i could possibly forget

Jun 28, 06 11:59 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

puddles, it's only Wednesday, you don't have to be alive yet

Jun 28, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

sorry...i'm confused

Jun 28, 06 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

would it make you feel better to know that i've not yet put on pants today? (i am wearing socks though...well, really only one sock)

Jun 28, 06 12:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: