anchor

Thread Central

Living in Gin

Congrats, beta!

Dec 22, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Nuke The Fridge!

has to be my favorite of 2008, and an apt way to describe Indy Jones 2008! Thanks Lucas, yet again, for ruining a beloved franchise. perhaps Georgie should stop making movies his hobby, and stick with making action figures?

Dec 22, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

OMG, beta. You don't even know how funny it is that you just said that. Wait for it, you won't be disappointed....

And yes, I love that phrase too.....

Dec 22, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

does anyone use digsby?

Dec 22, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

hey weird LiG -- I swear I just went past that sign just a few weeks ago! bizarre.

Dec 22, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

that's great beta.

nuke the fridge. hah. great graphics. you know i didn't mind that movie. nor the star wars shows. apparently my allergy to bad entertainment just isn't developed enough. must be lack of exposure or something.

Dec 22, 08 6:58 pm  · 
 · 

Garry Gnu, brilliant. And we were just talking about Fraggle Rock the other day. Hi all. **** I'm really sorry about your camera, but think of it this way it might be a good time to upgrade. It won't replace the memories you had captured in the pictures but at least it will make you smile for a bit on purchase.

Ha! Congrats Beta - and I think I know who Ken is now.

Dec 22, 08 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Atechno - oops forgot to report back... on a whim I asked my co-worker if by any chance she had found a camera in her car over the weekend (we went to lunch Friday and took her car) and low and behold it was there. YAY!!!! Considering I still have yet to download the latest photos from my project onto my personal computer I couldn't be a happier camper.

At the monent, I'm just attempting to stay warm. It's freakin' cold out there.

HI WONDERK!! I had a great time at lunch :o) Too bad they were out of the tomato soup

Dec 22, 08 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Of all the highway signs posted on TC, I think that's probably the only one I've actually seen in real life.

Dec 22, 08 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

D'oh!!! I also meant to say many, many congrats beta on the job. That's excellent news.

Speaking of job interviews, where's Sarah? Didn't she have an interview today? I hope it went well.

Dec 22, 08 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, hopefully Sarah's news will be as good as Beta's.
And also beta congrats on the licensing..

Night all.

Dec 22, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Happy Festivus!

Dec 23, 08 7:24 am  · 
 · 
****melt
Noooooooooooooooooo, Not Ketzel Levine!!!
Dec 23, 08 8:14 am  · 
 · 

Hi all,
We are getting close...

Dec 23, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh you guys rock. My interview is in an hour. With a guy named Shade O'Quinn, and he doesnt have a website. When I googled him, I found him mentioned in meeting minutes for a Walmart expansion and a monolithic dome project. Thats it. Maybe he has a pen name.

Ok, I'm off. Wish me luck!

Dec 23, 08 9:58 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Good luck SH.

Atechno - Please check your email. THANKS

Dec 23, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Okay, I finally have my holiday bonus money, and I'm ready to order a pair of eyeglasses. After scouring almost every optician in Manhattan, I've narrowed my choices down to three finalists. One of them is a front-runner (the same pair that's similar to that worn by my co-worker), but I'm curious to know what others think. Here they are, in no particular order:

#1:

#2:

#3 (in black, not brown as shown):

Let the voting begin.... Bonus points for those who have actually met me in real life, and who can give an educated opinion as to which pair best suits my face and personality.

(I'm wishing I had put half as thought into picking a college as I have into picking a pair of frames.)

Dec 23, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

I say #3 in black would be pretty nice.

And congratulations Beta!

Dec 23, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

why are these special order they look like the frames at costco.

Dec 23, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 

I like the last one with the tortoise shell arms..

Dec 23, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks peeps.

LIG;

1. unless you DJ in a eurotechno club, no.
2. they're nice
3. i like the brown bows

you've tried all of these on? don't buy anything you haven't tried on.

Dec 23, 08 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know if you were really a designer you would make them yourself and not cheat by hiring an eyeglass frame designer to do it for you...

Dec 23, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

touche.

Dec 23, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I like a little funk in my glasses.

I say #1.

Dec 23, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

All your techno vinyl are belong to me!

Dec 23, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

3 is ugly, 2 is acceptable, I like 1.

And these ARE special order? I mean, I realize you just got a bonus and all but didn't you say they were super expensive? So you're going to blow all your money on a pair of frames? Maybe you should buy a less expensive pair and save some of your money, just in case you get laid off, like some of our friends on Thread Central have been. Notice none of them are talking about holiday bonuses.

Dec 23, 08 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

#1 and #3 are in stock; #2 is special order because the store doesn't have that model in black at the moment.

Dec 23, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i'm heading home from the office to pack for the long overdue vacation. Off to some place warm - Boston! I'll be back on Monday.

cheers!

TK

Dec 23, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

FWIW, #1 is the least expensive, #2 is the most expensive, and #3 is in the middle. Unfortunately for me, the lenses are turning out to be nearly as expensive as the frames.

How important are the anti-glare and anti-scratch coatings? The opticians all say they're very, very important, but somehow I get the feeling that I'm listening to a car salesman trying to sell me the rustproofing. I could save a chunk of money simply by skipping the coatings, but I don't want to end up wearing something I'm not happy with.

Dec 23, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I like number one because of the side detail. Its not just a black line. But, I agree that you have to be super cool to pull them off.

Interview went well, I think. The guy was nice. He liked that I just had 8x11 printouts for a portfolio; said that he's seen some that are over the top, and he really just wants to see the work. When he looked at the CD set I brought, (<-- why doesnt that look right) he asked if I drew them or if we had a cad library. I told him that I drew them, but sometimes we pull things from other jobs. He then said, "I mean, do you use a template." I was confused, but it made sense later when he showed me their work. They use a template for every sheet in the CDs, and just modify to site conditions. The place is 3-4 times larger than my old firm, and intimidating. The office looked Architect-y, and so did the people. Everything was much more sophisticated. The old place wasnt exactly hand drafting or anything, but everything was standard stick framing, and much smaller. There CD set was bolted together with screws, and 4 times larger than any of ours. The most pages I ever had in a project was 30, architectural ones, I mean. This place only does Walmarts and Sams Clubs, but in their defense, some of the projects were pretty nice.

To sum up, he said that they just hired 9 people, but that he wasnt going to say they were or werent hiring. He said they were just waiting to see how things go, and if they decide to, they will call me back for a more detailed interview. He was very personable, and seemed to like me.

Part of me says, 'Its a job, yeah!' and part of me says 'ugh, its a firther drive, I'll have to pay for parking, I'll be working on walmarts...' and all sorts of disparaging remarks.

Dec 23, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Gin, I personally like no.2, but I really think you could pull off no.1 which give a designers look like Eero Koivisto from Claesson Koivisto Rune ie. strong rim choice against a soft facial background. Do you grow the pre-requisite mod/beatnik soul patch?

again I forgot to hit submit - what is wrong with me these days (preoccupied)

Dec 23, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

congratulations beta!

Sarah, don't worry too much about it until it develops further. They may not really have an opening, or when they finally do you may have found something else by then. Or by then the economy may be so much worse by then that you'll be happy to take it.

Dec 23, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah sorry I missed your post, that sounded like a really great interview whether you get the job or not. It is good when an interviewer can give you some in-site into the runnings of their company shows that they are always willing to teach/educate staff. I'd love to hear you talk more about the Architect-y ness of the place and exactly what that meant though. And seeing as it is Dallas I guess riding a bicycle is out of the question?

Ok for the record I'm not going back out into the madness that is pre-Christmas shopping. Aside from having to deal with masses of people and traffic, I had park the truck on top of a kerb. It just felt...well wrong.

SH how's the new ride going. We haven't really spoken about it since you got it. What kind is it?

Dec 23, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 

Just to make everyone feel bad, I know I did, just before Christmas.

Dec 23, 08 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah sounds like it went well.
Even if you didn't get the job right away.
I know when i start looking for jobs I always like doing as many interviews as possible.
Mainly because i feel the more i do the better i get for the next interviewer..

Also, yes what does "architecty" mean.

Gin, speaking as a glasses wearer who has sprung for that stuf fin the past.
Yes it is generally not necessary and car salesmany...

Dec 23, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

LIG - if you are prone to falling asleep with your glasses on, dropping them, forgetting where you put them, your cat using them as hockey pucks, cleaning them with paper towels or kleenex, (this is a big no-no BTW) etc. I'd at least think about the scratch resistant coating. I can't tell you how quickly mine get scratched all to hell. #1 are nice.

SH - sounds like a good interview. This may sound really horrible but if they offer you the job, you could always take it and in the meantime keep looking.

My cats are having a hissy fit (literally). Better run and break it up. ARGH!!!!

Dec 23, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

i like 1 and 2 LIG. no idea if they would look good on you though.

that sounds good sarah, and whatever happens the practice is worth it. I totally know what you mean about feeling a bit off in the office. WHen i was looking for work in london i interviewed at 3 places that were more corporate. big, famous, very good places, but also places where the picture of architecture was so far off from my own that i knew before i left that i would not accept a job offer even if they loved me. those were better times though, just after 9/11 when times were good, so i could be picky ;-)

Dec 23, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Slumdog Millionaire. Loved it. WATCH IT.

Dec 23, 08 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

aww LiG, before I saw your pricing, I picked #2 as the best. The proportions on #3 are just over the edge and into "clunky" zone (probably why they're cheaper) and I have a feeling #1 will look too small on your face, giving you that squinty robo-man look. Although I had a deep crush on the blind black guy on Star Trek TNG, sadly I don't think that of glasses actually looks good on anyone in real life. Plus they are uber arch.

Dec 23, 08 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

also, my, there is a lot of angst around these part today!

Dec 23, 08 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

A decision has been made, and #2 is the winner. They were my favorites all along. The optician gave me a break on the price, so I feel slightly less guilty about the cost. I opted not to get any coatings... Time will tell if that was a wise decision.

#1 fit well and was very comfortable, but I don't think I have the hipster cred to pull off that style. I also think the lenses were too narrow, especially for progressives.

I agree #3 seems a bit clunky. In retrospect, they come off as a poor man's version of #2.

Thanks for playing...

Dec 23, 08 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Dude, I win!

;-)

Dec 23, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

wait so which one does mr. officemate have???

Dec 23, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

#2, more or less. His aren't the exact same model, but they're pretty close.

We've agreed not to be seen together in the office while wearing them.

Dec 23, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

Gin, I think you have the hipster cred - I'm just saying even though we've never formally met (yet). But regardless no.2 is still a great choice

Dec 24, 08 1:19 am  · 
 · 

I'm taking the opportunity of winter break to install a font manager, and I had not realized how ridiculous my computer has gotten... I have 3350 fonts. I'm choosing to keep 797 of them active. I'm trying to sort through and label and rate them, so that looking for one isn't like finding a needle in a haystack, and it's taken hours and hours... I'm only about halfway done.

Please, never let your computer(s) get like this. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Dec 24, 08 2:12 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

thanks rationalista for the congrats, 3350 fonts? shit!

Dec 24, 08 7:40 am  · 
 · 

i use two fonts.

happy christmas everyone!

Dec 24, 08 7:54 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Gosh, Rationalist, thats a lot of fonts. I don't even know how MY computer could ever get that way. Guess I just roll with whatever I have. Do you have them sorted by style/region/time-period? I was actually wondering the other day how they come up with new ones. Does someone sketch them by hand, is there a computer program that allows you to make your own?

The office I went to was in a historical building downtown (30 miles from the house, so no, no bicycling to work). The holocaust museum is on the first floor, and the firm has two floors above that, and then there are a few more floors. Its the typical red brick box building of yesteryear. Nice, though, with HEAVY timber framing. A central atrium has been created in the building, and the offices all sit around the outside walls, so everyone for the most part has access to sunlight. What made it 'architecty' was this..... People had drawing boards, and those metal arm desk lamps, you know they didnt have and flatfiles, or hanging racks, but guess they didnt need them. The employees seemed more apt to hang out here that where I worked previously. It seemed like a much more fun place, actually. There were no cubicles, and you could see everyones screen, so not nearly as much Archinecting would be allowed. Men were wearing Gin's glasses. Stuff like that. My old office could have been anything, this was clearly an architecture firm, though it kinda felt like a Louis and Clark news room, minus the type writers. THere was a mismash of older wooden furniture.

I cant believe its Christmas eve already. That means we open presents tonight, and Santa comes. Santa doesn't even have Husbands calendar finished yet. This elf better get busy. I've been busy making a Calendar, two actually, for Husband from Santa. It took me a while to get the date table made, and even longer for all the photos. I got one finished, and still have to place the images in the other.

Oh Jump! I almost forgot. Husband works with a Canadian, and says 'you can tell he's Canadian because he says 'Hosers.'' Do YOU call people Hosers? I've never heard of such a thing.

Dec 24, 08 8:09 am  · 
 · 
makes me think of...
Dec 24, 08 8:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: