Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

brian buchalski

really good article in today's metrotimes about the only">http://www.metrotimes.com/culture/story.asp?id=13488]only gun store in detroit

Dec 3, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

encore!

really good article in today's metrotimes about the only gun store in detroit

Dec 3, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

and there's additional photos for the article as initially published at detroitblog

suddenly, i wish i had done a "gun shop in detroit" as a student project

Dec 3, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Just thought I'd swing through TC, while it's on topic, and let everyone know I once spent the night in a NKOTB member's house. I'm not elaborating.

Dec 3, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

based on the two most recent posts, anybody else thinking gimp?

Dec 3, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ooooh phuyake I wish you could tell that story!

I spent the majority of yesterday finishing a paper/presentation which I gave this morning. I was up until 2:30 am and had to wake up at 6 am, but I'm doing pretty good considering.

However I just ate a "Healthy Choice" microwave meal that was dry and not frozen, it was supposed to be sweet and sour chicken but I don't know where they got those chickens because the meat tasted awful. Everything else was fine but the meat. I'm a little disturbed.

2 days until final presentation for the semester...my computer screen is on the fritz again so I think I'm going to send it into Apple once and for all, because this is just silly.

Hope you are all well.

Dec 3, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

My sleep allowance was very similar to DubK's last night... presentation today is over, went all right. Now it's time to start a paper on design methods that has me re-reading all that scrumptious Eisnmen, Lynn, and Tschumi stuff that I know we all miss so much. I'm going to go draw some diagrams and hope that helps get my brain ticking on it, because right now it's on slow burn while it recovers from the chaos of yesterday.

Dec 3, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I burned the candle till 12:30 last night, between doing some as-built drawings for a client who wants to put and addition onto a community health center, dental clinic, day care. The existing building consist of three components built since the 1960's. Exciting Stuff....yup. Then I had to meet a contractor this morning who is framing faster than I can imagine is possible...so met him at 7:30.
So I stopped around 4:00 for a beer just to wind down cause it has been crazy all day finishing drawings along with out of town company
on top of everything else. Tomorrow I have to present a budget for a remodel of the main office of a local bank...(Hopefully someone still has money).

Dec 3, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

still have a job, but we are all taking a pay cut and our hours are down to 4 days/week.

oh, the lecture at the U went great.

dubK- once you catch up on sleep, can you send me your ecocities presentation?

Dec 3, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I'm sure I sound niave when I say this, but isn't that great news, TK? I mean, you get a three day weekend! Guess it could be like saying I get a 7 day weekend, and that sucks.

Dec 3, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

tk....time for fixer upper jobs around the house. The low cost ones or writting books to supplement the income somewhere down the road. Actually enjoy yourself...do some cross country skiing just to keep you from going stir crazy in the "Great White North"

Dec 3, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

tk....time for fixer upper jobs around the house. The low cost ones or writting books to supplement the income somewhere down the road. Actually enjoy yourself...do some cross country skiing just to keep you from going stir crazy in the "Great White North"

Dec 3, 08 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I posted a very funny video on the Optimism thread.

More cad'ing into the night tonight.

Dec 3, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

treekiller, I sent you the presentation. I am glad you still have a job and glad that your company was able to make some sacrifices to keep people employed. Sarah's right, an extra day off doesn't sound so bad after all.

It IS good to have optimism right now. I am trying, but my prof made some really pessimistic statements about us finding jobs the other day. It was annoying; I am convinced he is trying to recruit more people to the PhD program.

Roommate's kitty is going in the bathroom for a whole week so we can get his litterbox priorities straight. Seems he's been peeing on the bed - I know how that goes. Even though she peed on my bed too many times to count, I still miss WonderKitty :o(

Sorry I will shut up now. Back to work!

Dec 3, 08 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

I finally got paid today for 3 months teaching not bad, now I can buy Christmas gifts for the niephies.

Also I just came back from hearing a former architecture student turned Jamaican-rock musician. Fantastic raspy voice, more in sync with a jazz vocalist, but singing rock. The music was reggae infused which was sweet, but the part that had me gasping was the lead guitarist. He was a less high version of Jimi Hendrix as he played the guitar with a beer bottle. Wow!!

Also sat through 3 hours of a housing critique

Dec 4, 08 12:05 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Wonder K - I have a cat story too. While travelling, I found a starving kitten at a Buddhist temple. After getting permission from a monk who told me she had no mother, I took her to a family I stayed with. I didn't have anything soft while taking her to the family so I put her with my shirt. Long story short, I effectively trained her unintentionally to use my clothes as the kitty litter.

I was going to post a picture of her (where you can even see my shirt in the background!) but I forget how to shrink the photo to fit.

Dec 4, 08 12:35 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

puddles,

isn't it DAWrCHESTuh

Dec 4, 08 12:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

hi yall's

as some of you may know, I recently moved to Seattle from LA, where I was for 4 yrs. While in LA, I designed and managed a restaurant project (for 4 yrs) that is currently under construction. I left the city (and the project) somewhat abruptly; the project is still under construction

I just recieved some construction photos from the project and it is weird seeing it progress and not being there in person...somewhat like recieving pictures of your child growing up if you cannot be with he or she in person.

Anyways, that is all

-mdler

Dec 4, 08 1:20 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi mdler. Nice to see you. Can we see pictures too?

Slartibartfast, you are awesome. You rescued a starving kitten at a Buddhist temple! You win an award from me. That doesn't count for much, but yeah. Did you keep her?

Puppies and kittens pretty much make everything better.

Dec 4, 08 3:30 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well, that was fun: Angus and I just almost missed the bus and had to race down the sidewalk to get to it. I feel like a little kid again!

Dec 4, 08 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

No, I did not keep the kitten. I was abroad at the time and had about a month of travelling left. I gave her to the family I stayed with for a week. They had kids anyway. Guess what they named her to my disappointment? "Kitty"

Dec 4, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK and crew

here is the Facebook link to the pics of my restaurant

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61974&l=ac529&id=575907114

Dec 4, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Nice photos mdler. I really like the stairs.

Dec 4, 08 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Nice work Mdler, must be bittersweet though.

Dec 4, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

great work Mdler, as always. I just found out that the job possibility I was hoping for next year fell through. Damn, here was I thinking the Euro was strong. On to plan B

Dec 4, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OMG my brain hurts!

Dec 4, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I love working on door schedules.

Oh wait, it's not Sarcastic Wednesday anymore.

Dec 4, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Hang in there DubK and rationalist - you're almost done. Then you can breathe a sigh of relief and relax for a while.

Dec 4, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

WK, not sure if PhD is that useful as plan for future...

efforts simply shift to other direction, but it isn't any different otherwise. right now i am trying to get funding to do post-doc work, and it is a serious effort compounded by fact that LOTS of people here have PhD's and great things to research that need funding too. economy makes it harder still.

sigh... nothing in this world is ever easy.

which is i guess the point.

looks good mdler!

Dec 4, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I'm doing cd for door types at the moment and anything looks better....nice job mdler...

Dec 4, 08 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

First post in two days.
Work has been mind-numbing.
Luckily the annual christmas party with open bar is tommorow!!
Tree, thank goodness you at least kept your job. Maybe more impetus for LA?
Mdler, awesome photos.

Everyone else, hi..

Dec 4, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

You know I find when the economy is down it seems everyone around you is doing construction drawings for some odd reason.

Wonder K, you've been tagged in my school blog post.

Dec 4, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Where was the work:

Top 10 global builders

Square footage for under-construction office space in June. Numbers in millions.

1. Dubai, UAE – 42

2. Shanghai, China – 41.6

3. Guangzhou, China – 19.8

4. Paris – 18.6

5. São Paulo, Brazil – 15.6

6. Washington – 14

7. Seoul, South Korea – 13.4

8. Moscow – 12.9

9. Beijing – 12.3

10. St. Petersburg, Russia – 12.2 (tie) Kyiv, Ukraine

Source: Colliers International

Dec 4, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Who fills all this office space, that's what I want to know.

I have a meeting tomorrow - Friday - at 6pm. Whose stupid idea was that, that's the other thing I want to know?!

Dec 4, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Story of the Top Dog Today: http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1204/p06s01-wome.html

Dec 4, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray
4. Paris – 18.6

wow, that's surprising! The rest of those were right on what I would have guessed, myself.

Dec 4, 08 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

I forgot to say Happy Belated Birthday to Surfaces

Dec 4, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

LB, when the new office towers came up here in tokyo they left hundreds of old buildings empty. so i guess part of the answer is that the seats are bing filled by pipples from nearby...it seems unfair, but actually a lot of the older offices here don't fit the way offices are used anymore, so they lost to evolution as much as to the japanese tendency to like new shiny toys...

no idea what happens elsewhere...

Dec 5, 08 1:40 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

where is Washington? Wash DC?!?

Dec 5, 08 3:07 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Dec 5, 08 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac
I'm testing a forum trick, please ignore my post
Dec 5, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

woohoo! I just made invisible text!

Dec 5, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

If I hold the computer screen over a light bulb will your words magically appear?!

Dec 5, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

Sarah!

NPR Morning Edition investigated your very question this morning regarding: "what happens to our national security if the Big 3 go under?"

Interesting little 5 minute piece! You can listen to it here!

They also had a piece, courtesy of the Planet Money guys, on "Just where exactly did all that money GO, anyway?" It was good but not as thorough as I would have liked it to be. Sort of tip-of-the-iceburg-ish.

Dec 5, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

manta, the money didn't really go anywhere, right? First Law of Thermodynamics, does it apply to economics? i think that if banks were doing what banks should be doing, in the case of TARP, then perhaps the world would not get douched as bad. there is another bubble going on now, it's the Fear Bubble. it's that same feeling you get if you hold your breath or forget to breathe when you get stuck with a needle or see blood. you have to remember to breathe and it won't hurt as much.

hell if that doesn't work, i am starting a stick, cloth, and gelatinous fuel business. perhaps when the mob gets ready to storm the bastille, i'll be making tons of moolah!

Dec 5, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

i am in the 4K club!!!!

Dec 5, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i'm going for the 10k club by sunday.

Dec 5, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://www.hcz.org/home

saving the world might start with Geoffrey Canada...ok, maybe not the world, but at least he's trying to save children in Harlem.

Dec 5, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I just had an eye exam during my lunch break, and I was informed that I need reading glasses. I'll probably get progressive lenses so that I can just wear glasses full-time and not be constantly donning and removing them. Or would that be a really bad idea?

Of course, I'll need to get some kick-ass frames.... My journey toward becoming an architect is almost complete.

Dec 5, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

get the glasses and cool frames, if you've contributed to your flex spending health account, now is the time to use that puppy up.

Dec 5, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: