Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

treekiller

well, my boss is willing as long as we send an invoice. so yeah, how the consultants time is used is up to that guy. ringers, thats the word I was looking for. Anyways the meeting ended up between the clients rep and the architect. no need to get all fancy with people sitting at the empty desks - good thing since no body else made it downstairs.

Mar 19, 08 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

treekiller, mvrdv and oma famously filled seats with students to impress clients that they are busy wen in fact without work. this may be urban legend, but has ring of truth...

don't think is unethical. all architecture is theater at some point...

Mar 19, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 

kool pics mdler. looking forward to seeing it go ahead.

Mar 19, 08 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

keep us posted on the jobsite pix thread! would love to see it as it happens! congrats!

Mar 19, 08 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
all architecture is theater at some point...

brilliant jump, that is going to be my mantra for today.

Hi tc. I'm in architectural hog's heaven. Two of my close friends from architectural school have arrived and I get to talk shop until their ears fall off. Its great. And I'm putting them to work, to help me finish the measured survey of my house. Free labour is even better. Pictures to come I'm sure.

Mar 20, 08 10:48 am  · 
 · 
mdler

I MET ORHAN LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 20, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
aml

woohoo mdler, very cool! will there be a new abracadabra, faia installment documenting this encounter?

Mar 20, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
aml

btw, for those that might be interested- i did not get to see the library [bummer, but the schedule did not work out] and i did make up my mind- i will be going to redneck city [although i did get other acceptances, cool!]. i also had sort of a privacy scare, which is why i'm talking in code and probably only vado will get this.

Mar 20, 08 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :) i get it!

Mar 20, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
aml

hi vado! : D

Mar 20, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

new mdler jobsite pics....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdler/sets/72157604173666370/

including one of the 8yr old kid finishing concrete!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 20, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

cool pic from my jobsite

Mar 20, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm alive

Mar 20, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 

mdler and i always been pals through the good and the bad times.;.) last night we talked about architecture and let me tell you, he is one knowledgeable guy about architecture and has a great friendly personality with total sense of humor.
garpike was there too and felt like a sucker for leaving too early after i told him in e mail, me and mdler went to a reception in the vicinity, afterwards, where there was some wine and good food like sish kababs and everything.

Mar 20, 08 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

just back from lunch and a brief architectural tour of the new town centre and some buildings of architectural significance on island. Its funny when you have people of similar interests around that you can begin to refresh your thoughts. Posting pics on flickr now.

Mar 20, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

orhan mdler and garpike. freakin a thats a dream team!

Mar 20, 08 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Truly woulda been a dream team if you had been there too, vado.

Mar 20, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I just had this sent to me....thought I would share it with anyone who
might be in London in June: http://www.lfa2008.org/media/LFA2008_springupdate.pdf

Mar 20, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Thinking....maybe I should take the Mrs. for our seventh wedding anniversary....be a dream trip. She lived in outside of London before she moved here....and we have been back since. Only problem is I don't know if I can find the smallest hotel room in London again.

Mar 20, 08 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I'm listening to a live version of Radiohead's Talk Show Host.

I'm pretty sure this is the greatest song ever written by man.

Mar 20, 08 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

I'm pretty sure this is the greatest song ever written by man. ---that would be wichita lineman...

Mar 20, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

my vote is for 'thank you fallettinme be mice elf'.

Mar 21, 08 7:51 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

falletinme is a great one.

wichita lineman sux, as vado full well knows ;-)

I have to call Love Train the best.

Mar 21, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

wichita lineman is agreat song although the best song ever is either layla or suite: judy blue eyes. i only counting "rock" as everyone knows the greatest song is actually stardust written by hoagy carmichael.

Mar 21, 08 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Hey, I actually like Wichita Lineman, I can't really tell you why, I think it may just be the melody. I like the "I hear you singin' in the wires, I can hear you through the wine," but its not so much the words, cause the song makes no sense to me, but just the music that I like, and I dont know who this Jimmy Webb guy is, cause I've only ever heard the Glen cambel version.

Oh, no, did I just out myself?

Mar 21, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wichita Lineman is on par with Ballad of Edmund Fitzgerald, in my mind. In fact I often get the two confused.

Mar 21, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Hi TC-
Just got back from the N. Cal Coast late last night. It's so freaking gorgeous up there, it's unbelievable. I'm off to explore the city on my own today. Two more days and then it's back to O-HI-O :o(

Mar 21, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

we learned 'one tin soldier' in grade school. that song has it all (ok, mr. roboto is better).

Mar 21, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb you know i love you but you are just wrong about this. edmund fitzgerald is great too, as is" if you could read my mind!"

one tin soldier was in that movie soldier blue which i saw at the drive in. its a wounded knee ish type story...

Mar 21, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LB

I can play Edmund Fitz on the geetar

Vado

You were in my dream last night

Mar 21, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

the bad news: my computer died last night. I think it's just the power adapter, but it'll take weeks to get a new one, because they aren't sold in stores! So I have to find my external hard drive setup to get access to my data...

but, the GOOD news: I got myself a MacBook Pro. And because it's one of the just-slightly-out-of-date models (replaced like, 2 weeks ago), I got $500 off. So, rough transition, but hooray for the new puter!

Mar 21, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

was i playing edmund fitzgerald on lb in your dream???

Mar 21, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I prefer Kris Kristopherson to Gordon Lightfoot.

Mar 21, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

then spell his name correctly.

Mar 21, 08 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Oysters -
Check your email :o)

Mar 21, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I have a feeling grad school season is gonna be far worse this year than usual. Theres now newb asking about software and grad school. It never ends...

Mar 21, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Any of you LA kids up for brunch tomorrow morning? Everyone else is free to join as well, you'll just need to let me know when your flight arrives. Email me or DubK. Tschuesschen.

Mar 21, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
lb you know i love you but you are just wrong about this

Substitute "vado" for "lb" and I'll fire it right back atcha, dear!

Congrats on the new Mac, rationalist. I'm itching for one.

Have fun, tuna and DubK, at brunch - wish I could join you.

Mar 21, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Hi friends. tuna is supposed to be picking me up soon....I had to go into work today. So much to do, so little time. I hope you are all well, I feel very out of the loop. If anything important happens, drop me a line. For that reason, or for brunch. Anytime, anywhere!

Mar 21, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

kris kristofferson is better actor than gordon lightfoot.

didn't quite like his workmanlike last cd so much - sounds a lot like june carter cash's later work, which is somehow odd to me...

one of my favorite songs is burton cumming's covering rod stewart's maggie may...in the voice of gordon lightfoot. sounds just like im in a weird way...

Mar 21, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 

oh yeah: guess who's 'undun'. either that or zombies 'she's not there'. or...

Mar 21, 08 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well im drunk and have listened to wichita lineman about ten times and to galveston twice and liberty bell you know i need you more than want you and i want you for all time, so i dedicate this song to thread central as it is as poignant as the wreck of the edward fitzgerald kennedy features chris christopher's son and was penned by the same fellow that wrote the GREATEST SONG which is wichita lineman... so here it is TC'ers...its also very zen and all encompassing...

Mar 22, 08 1:55 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

oh and lb it features a verse where concrete is mentioned!!!

Mar 22, 08 1:58 am  · 
 · 
mdler

vado

you are in good company, my friend....I am getting drunk

Oh Donna, Oh Donna....

Mar 22, 08 2:31 am  · 
 · 
too laaa-ay-ay-ee-ayay-ate
Mar 22, 08 7:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my bro's are 8 and 7 years older than me, so as a kid i would just listen to their records. it wasn't until they moved out that i had to start buyin my own records. this was the first 45 i bought. it's got a really commie message. those canadians....

Mar 22, 08 10:10 am  · 
 · 

hope you feel all right this morning, mdler.

I'm going quiet again for a few days, hopping on a plane to NYC in a few hours. I will get to seen Gin, AP, etc. on monday night though! Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Mar 22, 08 10:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

stop off in indy!!! nobody ever comes here!!! maybe thats why i want to move...

Mar 22, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 

kay i am now on my way to being drunk and just saw vado's vid links..."guess who" is nostalgic cuz i grew up in time when everyone looked like those guys, and B.C and randy bachman are just great (i so remember dad getting stoned to BTO )...and since they come from winnipeg am supposed to love em...

but the highwayman song actually for a moment made me want to go home. not that home is there anymore. but i still remember when i was a cowboy in the making and it would be nice to go back.

thanks vado!

Mar 22, 08 11:37 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

She's Come Undone is an awesome song, and there is a novel of the same name which I love, it features one of the most amazing and truthful female characters I've ever read - but it was written by a man!

I'm not a romantic (at least not about relationships - I am definitely one when it comes to archtiecture) so Wichita Lineman, Time In A Bottle, Cat's In the Cradle et al just sound maudlin to me.

If we're really talking best rock song ever, it's definitely by Zeppelin, though I couldn't tell you which song as so many of them are so good.

DubK, you are much missed on Archinect lately but I'm glad school is going so well!

My first rock album purchase was Live at Budokan.

Neighborhood easter egg hunt was this morning and was a huge success although I was the only one drinking the mimosas - and yet a whole bottle of champagne is gone hmmmmmmm...time for a nap.

Mar 22, 08 12:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: