Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

WonderK

Has anyone ever considered the idea that if we are now trying to fight wars without people, maybe we shouldn't be fighting them at all? The narrow-mindedness of the people that conceived of those machines frighten me. How did those people get so far in life without someone rational questioning their goals?

Feb 27, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

tumbles....come pick me up :o)

Just kidding....or not!

Feb 27, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 

Cremaster...

I read that and posted about it on my blog this weekend.
I thought it was powerful stuff. The confusion and hopelessness of the wars. Soldiers trying to fight and die with honor...

Plus the photos were pretty good. Made me think that compared to Vietnam etc, we haven't had that much war photography of Iraq and Afghanistan it feels like.

Perhaps, because it is all digital and video now.

Feb 27, 08 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

afhganistan is horrible. my brother in law (artilleryman in cdn army) is heading there this week. canadians dieing there quite a lot lately so pm agreed to pull out in a cupla years...what mess that whole deal became...just mind-numbing dumb. thanks mr. rumsfield, ya dumb fcuk. i really don't want sis to be widow cuz rummy thought iraq needed some attention...

but next to rummy, its definitely insurane people who steam me...that sounds awful steven. you need erin brokovich to stand on your insurers for you.

sorry to hear about future wife's schedule bomb, vado. that truly sucks too.

Feb 27, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

WonderK, is that a border collie? If so, put all your stuff away securely!!

Feb 27, 08 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

vado, your exgffw gets to stay the night in the greatest city on earth! sounds like no problem to moi!

Feb 27, 08 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

manta, it's an australian shepherd.

I had a crappy experience with my health insurance company tonight too, but it's not worth going into.

I'm tired.

Feb 28, 08 5:05 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

oooh... hmm. he's adorable. good luck with him this weekend!

Feb 28, 08 8:24 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Insurance companies suck

Mantaray - how's the rash/fungus? I hope it's getting better

Feb 28, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

wk
looked at the flickr set...looks as though the light during the day was really tough to shoot in, but some of the twighlight and night shots are realy nice...also hard to tell which ones are in focus or not from the flickr sizes...but i picked some favorites.

Feb 28, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 

Wonder K, I suspect you will adore that dog. But I do understand as LB stated that your social life will be severely adjusted. Might I suggest a movie night over the weekend, to watch "must love dogs." I found when I was looking after Maddy for a month, that I never went anywhere choosing instead walk/feed/play with the puppy. Notwithstanding I think you should get the dog. It'll be great I'll have a pup to play with when I visit LA eventually.

Feb 28, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

a room mates puppy offers the best of everything without the responsibility or crimping of lifestyle/sleep.

Feb 28, 08 11:21 am  · 
 · 

Gin + any other NY nector's: I booked my ticket to NY! I'll be in town March 22-27th. So there should be an archinect meetup sometime in there.

Feb 28, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow! Special thanks to nam, 'techno, and especially lars and Oysters for looking at my Flickr pictures and making some comments! I actually had to pick the ones for the show last night and we picked a lot of the same ones. So, thanks for your input, it is really appreciated.

Architechno, you hit the nail on the head about the puppy. This is my inner struggle. tk, my roommate doesn't want the puppy....she wants me to want the puppy. But, like tuna said, it really all boils down to how he will interact with my cat. I can't keep him if it's going to be a daily battle royale between cute fluffy animals.

rationalist, you are going to have so much fun in New York! I'm kind of jealous!

Feb 28, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
aml

WonderK, when are you going to post more wonder kitty pics on your flickr? nothing has surpassed the awesomeness of the kitty haircut pics.

[i did look at your caltrans pics, but forgot to comment, sorry! they looked very cool, agree with above comment on niceness of late afternoon/early evening pics]

Feb 28, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i think i'm going to take a bubble bath.

Feb 28, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Find your inner girl, puddles!

Feb 28, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Feb 28, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

now that i think about it, i have no idea how to use a bathtub

Feb 28, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

With all the recent activity, I neglected to notice that I surpassed the 1000 post count - whoops!

Hope all is going well with every one; I just thought I'd drop in to say Hi. Oh, and thanks for all the kind words on the 'adventure' thread, everybody.

Feb 28, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

puddles..it was a sad, sad day when i realized that i finally
no longer fit in a bath tub because of my height...it was physically impossible for me to bend my body so that i fit under water. the place i live now doesn't have a bath so the point is moot...but it's really nice to every once and a while completely submerge in a bath.

Feb 28, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

lars- I have the same issue being too tall for the tub. it would be nice to have 6' long tubs available. worse is too low shower heads!!!!

Feb 28, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm FINALLY back to feeling healthy again, as evidenced by my finally feeling likle I want to enjoy a bourbon while I make dinner. Cheers, everyone!

Feb 28, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Yay LB - I'm glad to hear your feeling healthy again.

DubK - I heart that picture of Wonder Kitty!!! Completely shows her personality. Am getting excited to see her again, despite the fact she won't be wearing her "boots" anymore ;o)

Feb 28, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 

hurray LB!

yall should try japanese baths. not usually long, but deep. and the standard now is for self-filling ones, commanded by remote control from the kitchen, bedroom, wherever. the baths here have covers to keep heat in between bathers (cleaning takes place in shower area), automatic refills and reheating, and NO TAPS (so nothing to get in way of layingback and relaxing....best of all, almost all heating of water in japan is of the on-demand type...so you will never run out of hot water...its sort of a mild wet hedonism...

Feb 28, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Jump,

I have American clients who have a sister company in Japan. So I have had to opportunity to do a nice Japanese Bath. All Black Slate including the ceiling with a stainless steel soaking tub sitting in a slab of black slate...I love it when the water flows over the edge of the tub spilling across the black slate into the shower area. Actually
I need go over there and take some photos. I have done four projects for various members of this family each and everyone of them alot of fun.

I did put Toyo Toilets in the last house with remote controls. I think
the Mr was looking to have some fun when guest come to stay at their house.

Liberty....must have sent the bug east as i have been on the downhill since last Sunday.....Just crawled out of the shower at
6:45 in the evening, cause I just want to feel better. Colds can be such a drag. I even canceled an important meeting today because
I didn't want to pass along what I have to a realtor friend. So I missed out on checking out a 2.5 million dollar property ready for a million dollar renovation. Good thing it is Winter and we can go look at it next week.

Feb 28, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Who the hell drills into an 80 year old exterior wall that has brick on the other side only to put in a wall anchor with a screw the size of Texas to hang a picture? Seriously.

Feb 28, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

jump, that's a beautiful bath, your design? What's on the floor alongside the tub?

tuna, I also love that pic of WonderKitty, so funny!

Feb 28, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 

yeah it is by us, LB.
my partner's design actually. kitchens and baths are his thing. the strip beside the bath is a drain. not the most beautiful but we had no money for minimalism...it needs to be there cuz when you climb into the tub usually it is full to brim and a huge amount of water pours out. without the drain the water would all head out the door...;-)

thats funny snook. the loo at my partners place has the automatic toilet seat and remote control. i still cannot figure out who the hell needs a remote control for the toilet cuz controls are in the wall next to seat anyway...but the seat that rises up when you walk in is sorta kool...in a weird way. japan is sorta funny with their toilets... what is more funny is that i hear toto is luxury brand in usa. here they are run of mill, if not low end manufacturer...isn't it amazing how distance adds mystique?

Feb 28, 08 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I got a very low end Toto for my powder room - but guess what, I love it! It flushes great - no skid marks! Ever!!

Feb 28, 08 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I hate auto controls of anything (never seems to match what I want, when I want it) but what I *do* want is a tub with NO OVERFLOW! I battle with mine every time I bathe. I have perfected a whole system to plug it up... And TK, they do indeed make tubs for 6' tall people -- if you can afford a Stark... Duravit's Stark line has a TON of lonnng and sleek options (and they are SUPER deep!) downside is that you pay a lot of money and then when it shows up you're kind of like, oh, it's just thin acrylic. Hmm. So it can feel a little cheap... but I'm told by others that the acrylic they use is some kind of perfected german uberpolymer (oh those krazy krauts) that keeps the heat better than regular acrylic... never having been able to bathe in one myself, I couldn't tell ya. But my clients said it works fine.

Feb 28, 08 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Today was a rough day for me, probably my worst day since the surgery. This morning I took my shower and, while drying myself off, gently bumped my right arm and immediately felt a painful "POP" from my shoulder... Sort of like when you crack your knuckles, but a much bigger pop. Since then, my shoulder has felt incredibly unstable, and I've been having occasional painful muscle spasms throughout the day. Muscle spasms by themselves would be bad enough, but combined with the instability in the joint, these spasms have the effect of momentarily causing my shoulder to dislocate, which hurts like hell.

Luckily, I already had a follow-up appointment scheduled with my surgeon this morning to have my stitches removed. I told him what happened, and he didn't seem too concerned about it, but said we should keep an eye on it. Doc basically said that with all the swelling and such, some instability is to be expected, and later this evening my dad said that muscle spasms aren't unexpected, either.

As for the pop, the surgeon felt pretty confident that his repair work should be able to withstand a minor bump in the shower, and that they had successfully tested my shoulder for full range of motion before they put it back together on the operating table (and while I was still asleep, thankfully). He would have been more concerned about my shoulder coming apart if I had fallen down or something like that.

As such, I've been relying heavily on my Vicodin today, which has made productivity it work almost impossible. Fortunately, the Vicodin does a good job of numbing the pain and with a minimum of dizziness, nausea, and sweating. Unfortunately, it also has the effect of pretty much knocking me unconscious for a couple hours. I spent all afternoon at the office doing pretty much everything I could just to stay awake, and getting absolutely no work done. Maybe tomorrow will be better, although I'm toying with the idea of taking the morning off. At least I haven't had any more muscle spasms since this afternoon.

I have another appointment in two weeks. For now, though, I'll be happy when this whole ordeal is over.

Feb 28, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

Hurrah Sarah is back!!

Also, LIG sorry to hear. Rehab is always teh hardest part of any sickness/post-surgical recovery.

Jump, agree your partner does wonderful work on bathrooms. Love the two tone tiling and hanging cabinet. Plus Larger an fewer tile and grouting lines is always more impressive in my book.

Feb 28, 08 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

thanks namhenderson. i agree. my partner has a knack...and a lot of hard-earned experience...makes my job easier.

LB, that is way too funny. nearly coughed up my coffee when i read the "skid-marks" thing...hahahah.

LIG, man that sucks. know the feeling. rehab is never fun. hope you feel better soonest.

we used a starck bath in project last year. it was very nice, but like manatary said was a bit of a shock to see its just thin plastic. once enclosed with tile and fitted with hardware that gets forgotten though, and then is just pleasurable.

Feb 29, 08 12:55 am  · 
 · 

btw,

in case any of you haven't been following the c-space project is starting to look very coolio

Feb 29, 08 1:06 am  · 
 · 

we don't have an ad ready for publication yet (will probably show up in the jobs section, though, soon enough) but anybody interested in a job in a growing office in louisville should contact me.

louisville's a great place to live. you've all probably heard me cheerlead for it in the past.

we're 12 people, becoming revit-based (+/- 25% right now), and have some large-ish institutional projects that need someone to watch over them. i can't do it all...

Feb 29, 08 7:29 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm still alive

Feb 29, 08 7:51 am  · 
 · 
****melt

LB - I too let out a loud guffaw at the "skid marks" comment.

LIG - I empathize with you greatly. I can only imagine how much that must have hurt. I hope it's better today and that the your rehab/recovery is a quick one.

In other news, I saw the first glimpses of Spring today. The bulbs I planted in the fall have begun to come up. Yippee!

Feb 29, 08 8:15 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

steven is your office downtown within walking distance to coffee shops and cafes? oh wait that's our louisville office...

Feb 29, 08 9:06 am  · 
 · 

no, ours is a rough-and-ready young office with a 13,000 sf attached warehouse behind the office space in a light-industrial area.

we, unfortunately, don't have the coffee shops and the other stuff that they have in the high-rent district, but we're also not a satellite office, and not at all corporate in feeling. : P

Feb 29, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

I can't image vado being a corporate drone... so what gives?

Feb 29, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 

skid marks - Liberty Bell is definately well enough now.

I am officially no longer employed by the government of Montserrat. Three cheers. I had my post-contract interview this morning and have formally handed over all projects. I had been balancing between the development corporation and my previous job for the last 6 months - no fun. So its all done now - 6 years as Government Architect and almost 160 million spent within that time. So now what?

Time to focus on the town completely. I don't have a contract, yet. But have been told that they will pay me on a month by month basis. I think I may need to check out the independent contractor thread started by archi-phil. I am a little worried, granted less so. Had a chat with the SO regarding and if things hit the fan I'll just focus on the house, and do a few design-build projects with her as income. The latter whilst fun is difficult with the market still being in rather suspect manner due to the understandable perception of the volcano.

Feb 29, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
The latter whilst fun is difficult with the market still being in rather suspect manner due to the understandable perception of the volcano.

and we thought the u.s. mortgage crisis was a big market-killer! we got nothin' on a volcano!

Feb 29, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 

Hahaha Archi and Steven...

Nothing like a Volcano in your backyard!!

Feb 29, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i don't know where i'm going to go when the volcano blows...

...hopefully i'll a private jet by then

Feb 29, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

I'm getting frustrated, I wish archinect had a design by committee feature so problem details or sections of your project could get sorted out. I am having a bitch of a time trying to figure out the bathroom in my new house, I wonder if anyone here wants to do it for me?

Feb 29, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

well, there's the open architecture network that cameron/afh started, but i'm not sure your project is exactly the intended purpose.

Feb 29, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 

tk, I can actually imagine vado being a very subversive sort of corporate worker. Think the main character in Office Space.

I got a recruiting email today from a studio that I would possibly kill large quantities of people for the chance to work at based on my online portfolio. Too bad I still have more than a year of school left, and have to stay in Seattle this summer for tuition purposes... Well, I guess there's two sides to that. Bad side: they might not need people when I graduate. Good side: I'm going to kick soooo much more ass by then and have a much better portfolio to show, so if they like me now hopefully they'll like me more when the time comes.

Feb 29, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Atechno - what are you trying to figure out?

Feb 29, 08 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: